Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Memories ❯ Chapter 2: The One Winged Angel ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: The One Winged Angel
 
Naruto slowly came back to consciousness hearing a vaguely familiar tune. He slowly opened his eyes to see the girl from the night before seated beside his bed. He watched her for several moments as she thumbed through a magazine. “Oh, Naru-kun, you're awake,” the girl's bright brown eyes turned to him as a grin spread across her face. “It got a little crazy last night so I didn't get to properly introduce myself to you,” She said in an almost nervous and speedy tone. “I'm Yuffie. I'm your dad's sister so that makes me your Aunt.”
 
“I caught that last night …” Naruto said his blush hidden under his bandages. “Well … the part about you being my aunt.”
 
“Oh … yeah I guess you did …” Yuffie blushed and looked at the floor. “Sorry about um … yeah that with my fist colliding with your head'n all …” She let out a trembling breath. “This sure is awkward when it's just the two of us huh?”
 
“Um … you were humming something … I heard it before …” Naruto said awkwardly, avoiding eye contact.
 
“Oh, you … remember that?” She stared at the boy with wide eyes. “When you were a baby your dad let me hold you not long after you were born… You wouldn't stop crying with him, and almost didn't with me … and I started humming a little song I made up and you conked right out. Even with your idiot dad blocked my memories with a seal, I still remembered that little song.”
 
“You're really my Aunt aren't you?” Naruto narrowed his eyes to study the young woman.
 
“I'm your dad's sister,” Yuffie nodded, before glancing at the boy with a mix of fear and hope. “I'd like to be your Aunt if you'd let me …”
 
“I'd … I'd like that …” Naruto nodded with a smile.
 
Yuffie sniffled and rubbed her eyes. “This is a damned medical center,” She choked, with a smile. “They need to do something bout the dust in here …”
 
“You said it …” Naruto said rubbing his own eyes.
 
The mood was broken when a knock sounded at the door. “It's … It's me …” Sakura's voice sounded through the door. “You decent, Naruto?”
 
“I'll leave you two alone,” Yuffie said standing up, “Besides I need to talk to Gallon-Jug-Hokage bout something. So I'll be back later, ok, Naru-kun?”
 
“Um Yuffie?” Naruto asked catching her attention.
 
“Hm?” Yuffie asked glancing back at her nephew.
 
“Later … could you tell me a little about my dad?” Naruto asked hopefully.
 
Yuffie smiled and gave a quick nod and a wink. “Gotta go, can't keep your girlfriend waiting!” She said turning back toward the door.
 
“She's not my … oh never mind …” Naruto sighed as he fell back into his pillow.
 
Sakura passed Yuffie coming in. “I can't believe someone as annoying as that's related to you, Naruto …” Sakura said, before blinking at Naruto. “Then again …”
 
“Ha. Ha.” Naruto said dryly.
 
“Guess who's the Hokage's new apprentice, Naruto?” Sakura said lifting her chin proudly.
 
“Always knew Ino had it in her!” Naruto grinned.
 
“You idiot …” Sakura growled flexing her fist in front of Naruto's face, but restrained herself from hitting him. “I, I repeat, I am the Apprentice to the Hokage Tsunade-sama.”
 
“Congratulations, Sakura-chan,” Naruto smiled, but Sakura could see a difference in the smile she was seeing now and the one she saw before … before Sasuke's betrayal.
 
“I'm sorry …” Naruto whispered breaking her out of her thoughts. “I … I couldn't bring him back this time … I'm sorry for disappointing you, Sakura-chan …”
 
“What's with you sitting in the dark?” Sakura said trying to change the subject. She moved quickly to the window and pulled the blinds open.
 
“Sakura …”
 
“There, all better,” Sakura said as light shined into the room even though a few dark clouds were appearing in the distance. “Looks like a storm's brewing …”
 
“Sakura, I'm trying to say I'm sorry for letting Sasuke get away!” Naruto yelled, finally getting her to look his way. And for a brief moment she looked as if she was going to cry before a friendly smile crossed her features.
 
“It's ok, Naruto …” She said glancing back out the window.
 
“It was a life long promise, Sakura,” Naruto said, catching her eye again, flashing a real “Naruto” smile. “So sooner or later … it's gonna happen. That's my way of the Ninja!”
 
“This time don't be stupid and go after him alone,” Sakura said walking over to the seat Yuffie vacated. “We'll get him back together as a team. Got it idiot?”
 
“Loud and clear!” Naruto laughed, before the door flew open and the rest of the Rookie Nine and Team Gai members rushed into the room. Sakura and Naruto glanced around the group, most of which were still bandaged and looked like they needed to be in a hospital bed more then Naruto. “What's going on?”
 
“Gai-sensei ordered us all to gather in your room,” Lee said looking out the window.
 
“Something's happening, guys,” Tenten leaned against the wall. “Someone's after you, Naruto, and we're supposed to be the last line of defense.”
 
“Defense from what?” Sakura asked.
 
“We … don't know …” Hinata said softly.
 
“Eh, probably nothing major,” Naruto waved it off, “I bet a Ramen dinner it's a drill.”
 
-----
 
Ibiki hit the ground with dilated eyes and blood oozing from a deep cut across his chest. The long silver-haired man stepped over him as if he wasn't there before turning to Gai, Kakashi, Kurenai, and Inoichi. “Do you wish to fight me as well?” Sephiroth asked the bloody Mesamune held at his side.
 
Kurenai was the first to attack, moving in in a series of jutsus but none connecting. “Is this the best your village can offer?” Sephiroth asked, slashing the Mesumune across Kurenai's face, sending her to the ground yelping in pain.
 
“Next?” Sephiroth asked, smiling slightly at the remaining three.
 
“I have no idea why you decided to attack my hometown, but I will tell you this …” Gai said taking a fighting stance. “Despite your fasionable outfit and well managed hair … you're going down!” Gai rushed the intruder and with a series of punches and kicks and a few actually connected. Too bad they seemed to have little effect.
 
“You're skilled,” Sephiroth said catching Gai's arm with his own. “But you are still weak.” He said twisting his arm in such a way it snapped in three places.
 
Inoichi was next to try his luck. In a single move Sephiroth forced his long sword through his abdomen and jerked it out his side. Inoichi fell to the ground in a bloody heap.
 
“I give you the option of running away, Shinobi,” Sephiroth said turning to the stunned Kakashi.
 
“We shall see who runs away, stranger,” Kakashi said lifting his headband to reveal his Sharingan eye.
 
“Sharingan? I have heard of this ability. They say you can see my every move before I make it.” Sephiroth lifted his blade. “I look forward to testing this.”
 
Kakashi studied the stranger for a moment before making his move. The two danced for a few moments but even with the Sharingan, the attacker was still too fast. `I have to end this quick …' He thought before preparing a Chidori.
 
“See you in hell,” Kakashi whispered before launching a Chidori dead center of the man's chest … but only hit the sharpened edge of the Mesamune. Kakashi screamed as his cut his own hand almost to the wrist.
 
“Foolish,” Sephiroth said, before striking him in the face with the handle of his massive katana.
 
Sephiroth continued on toward the first buildings of the village. He glanced to the left before turning quickly bringing his sword up to impel the massive dog running at him, and using the screaming in pain animal's momentum to slam it through the stone walled building beside him.
 
KUROMARU!!” A brutish feminine voice called from above Sephiroth. He lazily glanced up at the Amazon-like woman.
 
“Was that your dog?” Sephiroth asked coldly.
 
Tsume jumped from her rooftop post in an almost feral rage, only to be caught in the face by Sephiroth's open palm, then slammed into the hard street. He held her there again then lifted her high enough to slam her again. He stepped over her still slightly twitching body on toward the Hospital.
 
A dagger hit the ground at his feet as he hit the central part of the city. Iruka, Anko and Ebisu formed the next line of defense. “Back away, pal,” Iruka said narrowing his eyes on the strange man.
 
“You care for him?” Sephiroth said looking into Iruka's eyes. “I will spare your life so you can suffer through the knowledge you couldn't save him.”
 
“You … bastard, I won't let you touch Naruto!” Iruka growled, clenching his fists.
 
“I am still standing here,” Sephiroth said with no emotion. “Stop me.”
 
“Don't let him screw with your head, Iruka,” Anko said, clutching a dagger in her hand.
 
“Talk later, fight bad guy now,” Ebisu said as he jumped at the silver-haired man, only to be slashed by the massive dagger. His broken sunglasses hit the ground before his unconscious body.
 
“A gentleman would say ladies first,” Iruka said turning to the dark-haired Junin, “But you're definitely no lady … and I've been around Naruto long enough to lose all parts of being a gentlemen.” He said before shoving her back and diving at Sephiroth with a spinning kick. “You fight with all your heart.” Sephiroth said catching him by the ankle, “That makes it that much more enjoyable to beat you.” He said using him as a human whip against the stone street.
 
Sephiroth cocked his head to the side as he stared at Anko. “Are you prepared for the Lifestream?”
 
Anko roared as she ran toward him, and Sephiroth prepared to slash, but only cut through what appeared to be a blur. “What do we have here?” Sephiroth asked, glancing around.
 
“Go help the others,” Jiraiya said sitting Anko down a safe distance away as he stood next to Tsunade.
 
“We've meet before,” Sephiroth said glancing at Jiraiya. “Nibelheim right?” Sephiroth smirked. “I spared you once; you won't get the same gift again.”
 
Jiraiya and Tsunade leapt into action, Jiraiya threw a kick that was easily blocked. That gave Tsunade a window to punch him full force in the face. Sephiroth's head snapped to the side from the force of the blow and stepped three steps to the side in recoil. Tsunade's eyes widened, as that punch would have been enough to level a mountain and it only left a small bruise on the man's cheek.
 
“You are stronger then you appear, woman,” Sephiroth smiled at Tsunade, a smile that sent shivers down her spine.
 
“Don't let him goat you, Tsunade!” Jiraiya warned but she was already in motion again.
 
Tsunade threw another mountain crushing punch right toward Sephiroth's face, he caught it with his free hand with ease. “Yes, you are very strong …” Sephiroth smiled as he began to squeeze tighter … and tighter … He face before contorted in anger, now twisted in pain she hadn't felt for many decades as the bones in her fist began to pop and break. “Now die.” Sephiroth whispered, before shoving his sword through her stomach and out her back.
 
“NO!” Jiraiya yelled running at Sephiroth's back. Sephiroth spun around, with Tsunade still limply hanging on the blade, and blocked Jiraiya's dagger with the bloody blade.
 
Sephiroth knocked the legendary warrior back before swinging his sword, sliding the injured Tsunade off and throwing her toward her friend. Tsunade collided with Jiraiya knocking them both to the ground.
 
“Hold it right there,” Yuffie stood between Sephiroth and the Hospital entrance. She held her throwing star out before her as she focused all her strength into this one last ditch attack, her greatest and most difficult Limit Break.
 
“Do you not have Cloud to hide behind anymore, little girl?” Sephiroth smiled as he stopped ten feet before the girl. He seemed unaffected at the gathering energy forming directly in front of her.
 
“I don't need Cloud to hide behind, Sephiroth,” Yuffie growled before letting her All Creation attack fly. The massive iridescent light beam slammed into Sephiroth and sent him flying backwards through the air.
 
Yuffie watched as he hit the ground and laid there. “Did I get him?” She panted worriedly, only to gulp loudly when he pulled himself up on one knee, glaring angrily at her. “Awe man … that was my best shot …”
 
Yuffie saw him running toward her. She dropped into a defensive position and braced herself. “This … is gonna hurt …”
 
-----
 
“What do you think is going on?” Sakura asked glancing around the packed hospital room.
 
“Don't know …” Tenten said as she glanced out the window. What she saw made her gasp and duck. “INCOMING!” She yelled as Yuffie's body flew through the window shattering it and hitting the far wall and sliding to the floor.
 
“I was right … that really hurt …” She wheezed before shakily pulling herself to her feet.
 
She glanced around the room before singling on Choji and Neji. “You two, you look the most hurt. Get Naruto and run, take his girlfriends with him so if he catches up you'll have a better fighting chance,” Yuffie ordered.
 
“What's going on?” Naruto asked sitting up.
 
“The devil himself wants you, and I for one am not going to let him near you,” Yuffie said wincing when she pulled a piece of glass from her shoulder.
 
Naruto pulled the bandages off his face. “Like I'm going to run? I'm Uzumaki Naruto and I am the future Hokage of the village, I'm not going to run like a coward while everyone else stays and fights!” he was cut off when Yuffie quickly crossed the room and slapped him firmly across the face.
 
“You don't get it do you?” Yuffie asked her shoulders rising and falling quickly. “This isn't a game, this is Sephiroth. He doesn't care who he has to step on and kill to get what he wants. And he wants YOU, I don't know why he wants you, I don't even know if he wants you alive or not. But I can guarantee it's not an invitation for a ramen dinner.” She closed her eyes, “There's only been one man who has ever been able to beat him in one on one combat, and even then it was close. I don't think anyone here has a chance …”
 
“We meet at last, Container,” a voice called from the window, and the teenagers turned to see the silver-haired monster hunched in the broken window frame.
 
“Container?” Hinata asked softly glancing to Naruto.
 
“So another psycho wants the Kyuubi huh?” Naruto said standing up from the bed and popping his neck. “Should be getting used to this, shouldn't be surprised you crazies come in all different shapes and colors.”
 
“Kyuubi?” chorused majority of the Rookies and Gai Team.
 
“Yeah, I figure we're all about to die anyway,” Naruto grinned at his friends. “Gotta go with a clean conscious huh?”
 
“Your friends can go and live until I'm finished with the planet at least,” Sephiroth said pointing his sword to the loudmouthed blonde. “I only want you.”
 
I'm a soldier,
Meaning I'm both defendant and judge
 
“No,” Yuffie said standing in front of the boy. “He's my family, and you'll have to kill me first.”
 
“Yes,” Hinata said stepping up beside Yuffie and taking a fighting stance. “You will not harm my Naruto-kun.”
 
I'm standing on both sides of the fire
Going around turns, overtaking death and life
 
“Naruto's got a promise to keep,” Sakura winked to her friend, “So you can just go back to what ever Goth convention you came from.”
 
I'm running to fight with the shadow of a lie
No matter how many threads deception would weave
 
Without hesitation the rest of the Rookie Nine and Gai Team stepped in front of Sephiroth.
 
Truth will show its face of light
 
“Naruto's one of us,” Lee said rolling his neck.
 
“You mess with one of us …” Tenten said drawing a pair of throwing daggers.
 
“You mess with all of us.” Neji finished taking a stance similar to Hinata's.
 
“TAKE THE FREAK DOWN!” Ino bellowed as the youngest Chuunin candidates in the history of Konoha rushed the most dangerous warrior in recorded history.
 
(It's time to stand.)
Save your tears
For the day
When our pain is far behind
 
“Buy me some time!” Lee yelled at his friends, before backing away to focus his energy.
 
Tenten looked worriedly at her teammate before nodding and leapt into the air toward the intruder. Sephiroth raised his sword to deflect a melee attack, but at the last second Tenten threw a barrage of throwing stars from her sleeves, forcing the madman back toward the window.
 
(It's time to fight)
On your feet
Come with me
We are soldiers stand or die
 
“Let's get him, girls!” Sakura yelled as she and Ino rushed him faking a punch toward stomach to cover a double swift kick between the legs, as Hinata leapt over them to kick him in the face with both feet.
 
Shikamaru and Choji spun around toward and snapped with a roundhouse kick right to Sephiroth's chest, pushing him against the broken window frame.
 
(Never fear)
Save your fears
Take your place
Save them for the judgment day
 
Neji shot forward for his turn as he slammed into the man with a series of rapid blows to the chest before kicking back out of his range.
 
(We rise again)
Fast and free
Follow me
Time to make the sacrifice
We rise or fall
 
“Doom of the Living!” Yuffie called out as she shot forward with another Limit Break, this time slashing Sephiroth with a series of strikes, finally knocking him back out of the third story hospital window. “Don't let up, don't let him breath!” Yuffie yelled as the group jumped from the window after the madman. “Aeris if you can hear me and up for helping out a bit, get Cloud's spiky ass over here.” She softly prayed before following the kids after Sephiroth.
 
I'm a soldier, born to stand
In this waking hell I am
Witnessing more than I can compute
 
Kiba used his Shikyaku no Jutsu and joined Shino to make the next wave, slamming into Sephiroth, trying to keep him down on at least one knee. A slash made Shino fall back clinging his bleeding arm, and Sephiroth's fist connecting with Kiba's face sent him falling back. “You children need discipline!” Sephiroth growled his eyes glowing even brighter as he plunged his sword into Kiba's abdomen.
 
Pray myself we don't forget
Lies, betrayed and the oppressed
Please give me the strength to see the truth
 
“Let's see what you're made of …” Neji said as he activated his Byakugan and stared right at Sephiroth. As the eldest Hyuga saw the true form of the monster before him his eyes and face showed absolute terror as he fell back on the ground. The sight of Sephiroth's true form caused the young ninja to scream in absolute horror as he crawled away from the silver-haired monster.
 
People facing the fire together
 
Ino and Tenten rushed him next. Ino first threw a punch but the older warrior caught her by her own ponytail and threw her by her hair back into Tenten sending them tumbling to the ground.
 
Shikamaru the recovered Shino and Choji rushed next, only to be sent flying into the not very giving wall of the hospital by a powerful blade beam.
 
“Tenten, a little help!” Shikamaru yelled as he pulled himself from the dented wall, using his Kagemane no jutsu to hold the attacker in his place by his shadow. Tenten nodded and threw a wire to tie up Sephiroth's sword. Sephiroth's eyes cut to Tenten as Ino pulled herself up to help hold him still with her Shinranshin no Jutsu. “Choji! Now!”
 
“CANNONBALL!” Choji yelled as he leapt high in the air expanding his size three times his normal size and weight as he flew. He landed butt first right on top of Sephiroth. He glanced around at Shikamaru and the girls and smiled. “I think I got him!” He grinned before frowning. “That's … not good …”
 
Shikamaru Tenten and Ino watched with wide eyes as Sephiroth rose back to a standing position, holding the massive Choji over his head with one hand. “Most interesting …” the three teenagers had no time to duck or run as the villain threw the massive ninja on top of the smaller, much frailer bodies. Even though he dropped his size mid throw, Choji's weight was more then enough to wipe the three out. “Who's next?” he asked dully turning to his next opponent.
 
If we don't we'll lose all we have found
 
“I will not allow you to harm my friend,” Rock Lee said standing directly in front of the psychopath, his skin was swollen and red and steam and energy rose off him in waves.
 
“You've learned how to unlock gates,” Sephiroth gave a small smile. “Not bad for a child. Are you willing to tear your body apart to protect your friend?”
 
“Ten times over,” Lee growled before launching his attack. Some punches and kicks landing, others barely missed almost all of them leaving the sound of thunder from the force of the strikes. Sephiroth was being pushed back but he was showing no signs that the landed blows were doing any physical harm.
 
After a dream to the edge of a chasm
Only that way can the world be saved
 
“Are you done?” Sephiroth asked calmly as he stared down at the young man.
 
“What?” Lee breathed glancing up at the man. “Oh … sh-” Lee started only to gasp in pain as Mesamune sliced across his chest, cutting through cloth and skin. And due to the pressure he was putting on his own charka and blood flow, crimson fluid exploded from his wound more intensely then it would have normally.
 
“This is bad …” Sakura gulped as she stood with Hinata, Naruto and Yuffie. “Very bad …”
 
Don't you cry, hide the tears
Because a new day will start
 
“L-looks like it's our turn, Sakura …” Hinata gulped, before turning to the blond who was watching the fight dumbfounded. “Y-Yes … N-Naruto-kun … we're f-fighting for you …”
 
“H-Hinata?” Naruto gulped, glancing to the shy girl in surprise.
 
“It is ok, Naruto-kun,” Hinata said and in a rush of brashness moved in to kiss him on the cheek. “Just in case …”
 
Your fire will be heated
By thousands of hearts
 
Yuffie, Sakura and Hinata left the blond watching in awe as they rushed the silver-haired man, punching kicking and slashing with everything they have left.
 
Yuffie was the first to be knocked to the side with a hard slash from Sephiroth's blade across the chest. And with a blade beam Sakura and Hinata were knocked off their feet.
 
“You pests have plagued me long enough,” Sephiroth said readying his sword to cut down the two dazed girls in one stroke.
 
But now get up
Hide the pain and fear far
 
Sephiroth swung his sword but his eyes widened in surprise when a pair of young, glowing red hands clamped down on the blade.
 
“No,” Naruto growled his eyes red and slanted as he stared up at the man attacking his village and friends.
 
The one who's right will win
Know that everything is in your hands
 
Kid, are you stupid? This guy is going to kill us both! Kyuubi's voice cried out in Naruto's head, Even at my full strength I can't match Jenova!
 
“I don't care,” Naruto growled, “I won't let him hurt them.” He whispered vaguely, before throwing the sword back with his full strength, pushing Sephiroth back two steps. “Back off, pretty boy!”
 
“I need you alive,” Sephiroth growled, “Alive can mean injured…”
 
“Bring it on you longhaired hippy,” Naruto shot back.
 
Save your tears
For the day
When our pain is far behind
 
Sephiroth snarled and slashed at Naruto, who used every bit of speed and agility he could muster from himself and the demon inside him. “Are you trying to hurt the air?” Naruto asked dodging swipe after swipe. “If you are you're doing a great job!”
 
“The Kyuubi has made you powerful, child,” Sephiroth said slashing at the boy.
 
On your feet
Come with me
We are soldiers stand or die
 
“Hey, be careful, that long freaky hair could trip ya up if you step on it,” Naruto grinned at the psychopath, not noticing the man was moving him toward a wall. “Probably hurt like a bitch if you jerked it out!”
 
Save your fears
Take your place
Save them for the judgment day
 
“What's the matter, Sephy, getting tired?” Naruto laughed as he kept hoping backwards. “Uh oh!” He gasped when he unexpectedly hit the wall with his back.
 
Fast and free
Follow me
Time to make the sacrifice
 
Naruto's eyes widened when he felt an intense pain and pressure hit him in the lower chest. He gasped when he felt himself pinned straight into the wall with the Mesamune through his lower stomach.
 
“Hop around now, little fox,” Sephiroth smirked evilly at the boy.
 
We rise or fall
 
“Now, you will make yourself useful.” Sephiroth said as he removed his glove from his hand and ran his palm along the razor's edge of the Mesamune.
 
With his other hand he roughly grabbed Naruto's cheeks forcing his mouth open and then made a fist forcing his blood to gather at the base of his palm.
 
“LEAVE HIM ALONE!” two voices screamed from behind Sephiroth, and he turned quickly and caught Hinata and Sakura by the neck.
 
“You are getting on my final nerve, little girls …” Sephiroth growled as he squeezed their windpipes roughly.
 
He never even heard the motorcycle's engine roaring behind him as the Fenrir slammed into his back knocking him down. Hinata and Sakura gasped when they were knocked in the air only to be caught by the bike's rider who brought the back to a stop a few feet away from Sephiroth.
 
“Wha …who are you?” Sakura coughed as the spiky haired rider sat the girls down on the ground gently before opening the bike's sword racks.
 
“Reinforcements,” Cloud said removing his sunglasses and drawing the First Tsurugi from the rack.
 
“Cloud!” Yuffie breathed a sigh of relief as she limped toward the biker. “Thanks Aeris, I owe ya one!” She added under her breath.
 
“Yuffie,” Cloud said not taking his eyes off his old nemesis. “Why is it you always get into these situations?”
 
“What can I say … it's a gift …” Yuffie laughed, before growing pale upon seeing her nephew. “Naruto!” She gasped starting to go to him, but Cloud held his massive sword in her path.
 
“Hello, Cloud …” Sephiroth said dryly as he jerked his sword from Naruto's body, letting him drop to the ground gasping in pain.
 
“What's it going to take to make you stay dead, Sephiroth?” Cloud growled raising his sword into a fighting position.
 
“I will never be just a memory,” Sephiroth said lifting his bloodstained sword. “Especially to you.”
 
“I'd like that,” Cloud said taking lowering his stance. “I'd like to forget you ever existed.”
 
To Be Continued …
 
Next Chapter: Cloud vs. Sephiroth round 3, and who survived of the Konoha Nin? Find out soon!