Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Memories ❯ CHAPTER 4: Lee’s Big Surprise ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER4: Lee's Big Surprise
 
Sakura awoke early and was making her way to the Hokage's office when she saw Naruto helping a group of Nin and civilians carrying a large overturned sign. “NARUTO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” She yelled scoldingly as she ran after them.
 
“Just helping out,” Naruto smiled as he continued with the group.
 
“You should be in bed recovering, Naruto, you're not fully healed yet!” Sakura growled following alone behind him.
 
“Says who?” Naruto asked evenly.
 
“Says the Fifth Hokage's apprentice that's who,” Sakura yelled, her cheeks flushing with anger.
 
“Yeah, so?” Naruto asked as the group finally stopped at the long closed down bar.
 
“Ok, guys on the count of three,” the leader said as he placed the sign on a wench, “Lift and push … three … two … one HEAVE!”
 
Naruto and the group pushed hard and got the large wooden “SEVENTH HEAVEN” sign on the front of the bar. But as soon as it was clear Naruto dropped to one knee and gripped his chest, coughing roughly.
 
“See, Baka, you're still hurt! And you're just going to make it worse if you don't take it easy … Naruto you are such a baka!” Sakura scolded as she helped him back to his feet but didn't let go. “With someone like you, you'll never have a need for an enemy!” she ranted as she pulled him inside the newly opened bar. “I swear, Naruto, when you become Hokage it'll be the shortest reign in history, you'll probably kill yourself working hurt!”
 
Naruto stiffened and turned to stare at Sakura, “What was that, Sakura-chan?”
 
“You're probably going to kill yourself working hurt like a complete idiot,” Sakura said pulling him on to the bar.
 
“No before that, you … you believe I'm going to be Hokage?” Naruto asked in more then a bit of shock as Sakura pushed him on a stool.
 
“Well you've never stopped yet, so I doubt you ever will. Unbutton your jacket and pull up your shirt, let me look at you.” Sakura said, rubbing her hands together to build up her chakra. “You're a goofball doofus, but … you're dependable and determined.”
 
“I always thought you just hated my guts, Sakura-chan,” Naruto said, good-naturedly while closing his eyes and scratching the back of his head. With his eyes closed he missed the split second of hurt that flashed through Sakura's eyes.
 
Sakura did a couple hand signs before placing her hands over Naruto's still vaguely scarred chest. She closed her eyes and focused her power into his wound and held it for a few moments before pulling back. “There, how's that?”
 
“All better!” Naruto said roughly pounding his chest, causing him to double over coughing.
 
“Naruto!” Sakura yelped worriedly, helping him sit back up.
 
“Naruto-kun, that sounds like your lungs are still weak …” Hinata appeared from behind the bar. “Hold on a second …”
 
Sakura watched bewildered as she went to work pouring several bottles of clear fluids together into a mug. `Where the hell did she come from?' she mentally thought as the shy girl quickly moved around from behind the bar to stand before Naruto, trembling slightly.
 
“H-Here … HERE you are, Naruto-kun, this should help ease any pain in your lungs… it's my own formula…” Hinata gave a shy smile and blush.
 
Naruto took the mug and took a small sip first, than smile brightly. “Hinata-chan, this is really tasty too,” He said before gulping down the whole contents. “Wow, it's really helping too!” He said smiling brightly, causing Sakura to scowl.
 
“I had it under control, Hinata,” Sakura said forcing a smile, “Though I'm sure Naruto appreciates your helping me help him.”
 
That last sentence struck a cord in Hinata as she turned to the pink haired Kunoichi with a small blaze in her white eyes. “Odd, seems what you did didn't help Naruto-kun at all.”
 
“My way is true healing, not a numbing herbal drink,” Sakura countered, “Difference between me and you, Hinata, me full repair, you quick fix.”
 
“Maybe you need to take a few more lessons because if Naruto was to depend on your healing jutsus, he's likely to die on the field while you TRY to help him,” Hinata shot back.
 
“Hey, you both helped me …” Naruto tried to interrupt with a consoling smile, “I mean isn't that what the way of the Konoha Nin is, team work all the way?”
 
“STAY OUT OF THIS!” the girls snapped in unison while the bar occupants quickly made for the closest exit.
 
“What's the matter Sakura-chan?” Hinata asked, feeling a rush at standing up for herself and Naruto … and loving it. “Your precious Sasuke-kun ran away so you now have to try to get into your only available teammate's arms?”
 
Sakura's eyes widened in shock at the shot from the most timid of all the Nin of Konoha, “What? This has nothing to do with him!”
 
“Never struck me as the type to go for a rebound, Sakura,” Hinata narrowed her eyes, “But maybe Ino was right all along, Fore-head.”
 
Sakura growled and balled up her fists. “At least I had some self respect, what about that? I don't think I stu-stu-stu-stuttered!”
 
“Selfish witch!” Hinata yelled, her own fists balled up at her side.
 
“Stupid wuss!”
 
“Slut!”
 
“Bitch!” Sakura yelled, grabbing Hinata by her jacket collar, and rearing back with her free fist.
 
“THAT'S ENOUGH!” Tifa yelled from the bar, but what shocked Sakura more was Naruto gripping her wrist.
 
“Sakura, calm down,” Naruto said in a tone of voice she'd heard before but never directed to her.
 
“N-Naruto?” Sakura said, paling at the sight of Naruto's hand on the wrist that was gripping Hinata's shirt.
 
“Calm down … both of you,” Naruto said, though he was staring right into Sakura's eyes. And Sakura had seen that look before … the same stare Naruto gives to threats … to enemies.
 
“I'm sorry … I guess … I'm sorry …” Sakura said before quickly turning her back on Naruto, Hinata, and Tifa and running through the exit.
 
Naruto watched her go then dropped his chin to his chest. “I just don't get why you two can't get along?” Naruto sighed before Hinata could mutter a word. “You two are among my best friends. I don't like seeing you two fighting …” he sighed before walking away from Hinata and Tifa.
 
“I stood up for myself and Naruto-kun, and at the time it felt really good,” Hinata said glancing back to her new friend. “Why is it I feel kinda bad right now …”
 
“She's your rival and your friend,” Tifa shrugged, “And you did get a little carried away there.”
 
-----
 
“Feeling better?” Marlene asked as she and Denzel walked around the Konoha village.
 
“Yeah, dunno why I'm so sleepy lately …” He smiled to his best friend who was occasionally glancing back behind them. “What is it?”
 
“Why is that box following us?” She asked glancing back to the cardboard box, painted up like a rock with a pair of eyeholes directly behind them.
 
“Oh, that's just some of the kids I met here,” Denzel said glancing back to the box, then continued walking.
 
A moment later the box exploded into three colors of smoke. “Alright, Udon! We got the right concentration of smoke bombs!” Konohamaru cheered, before turning to the unimpressed newcomers. “Allow us to introduce ourselves!”
 
“The young beauty with sex appeal of any grown woman, Meogi!”
 
“The mathematical genius junior ninja of Konoha, Udon!”
 
“And fearless leader and heir to the styles of Naruto-sensei, Konohamaru!”
 
“And together, we are … The Konohamaru Corps!” The three made poses.
 
“Right …” Marlene blinked unsurely. “Now if you'll excuse us … we're looking around.”
 
“Don't you know it's not safe for kids to roam around here all by yourself, why don't you let our mighty team guide you around so you two won't be alone,” Konohamaru smiled at Marlene, causing her to flush slightly.
 
“That's ok, guys, we're not really alone, our friend's watching over us anyway.” Denzel said, stepping a little closer to Marlene.
 
“Friend? Who?” Udon and Meogi asked looking around frantically.
 
“Me.” Spoke the demonic voice directly from behind the trio.
 
The Corps froze, and slowly turned to see the red cloaked man with incredibly scary eyes staring down at them. “Hi, Vincent!” Marlene smiled and waved at her friend.
 
“Are these … people bothering you?” Vincent's cold voice spoke, staring daggers at the three Konoha youths.
 
“Bye!” The three kids yelped before running away.
 
“See! THAT is how you're supposed to sneak up on someone!” Konohamaru's voice could be heard as they ran. “I have to ask the Boss why he can't sneak like that!”
 
“That Konohamaru guy,” Marlene smiled shyly, “he was kinda cute …” she said making Denzel scowl and Vincent roll his eyes.
 
“Kids.” Vincent sighed, sliding back into the shadows.
 
-----
 
Tsunade and the Village Council sat with Barrett, Cloud, and Yuffie in the Hokage's meeting hall, discussing the recent threat.
 
“Sephiroth is a not to be taken with kid gloves,” Barrett spoke up, “I mean, he's a bad ass son of a bitch, if I ever saw one.”
 
“Must you use such language, Outsider?” Hyuga Hiashi rolled his eyes.
 
“Excuse me?” Barrett turned to the Council member. “Does my choice of words offend ya, ya pansy assed peacock?” Barrett got up and walked toward him, leaning toward him to look him right in the eye. “Listen good white-eyes, and I mean damn good. Sephiroth is everything you ever had a bad dream about all rolled into a long haired pretty-boy package. I've seen shit this bastard's done that'll turn you WHITE.” Barrett looked at him for a moment. “See, it's already happened, ya ----in' pansy. You can't take this guy on, if he comes back at full power he will kill you, ya kids, ya grandparents, and ya pets. Ya wanna play with fire, this bastard's the ----in' sun!”
 
“Barrett, I think you can calm down,” Tifa said as she entered the room. “Sorry I'm late, had a small incident at the bar.”
 
“Bar?” Cloud asked with a slightly cocked eyebrow.
 
“I've wanted to branch out for a while, and this place could use a good place to eat,” Tifa shrugged, and Cloud didn't seem to care one way or another.
 
“Since Avalanche has dealt with this man before, I have asked them to advise me in how to deal with this situation,” Tsunade informed, and concidering how they handled the battle, most of the council didn't argue. “And if he's willing I'd like to ask Mr. Strife to give a few instructions to our Junin on how to deal with Sephiroth.”
 
“I can't do that,” Cloud said shortly.
 
“May I ask why?” Hiashi asked with his usual greater then thou attitude.
 
“No one here is on the level to even engage Sephiroth and live to tell about it, you're all lucky he didn't wipe out everyone here.” Cloud said, staring at the wall. “Sephiroth is my responsibility, and I will personally stop him.”
 
A moment later Cloud drew his massive blade and fired a Blade Beam at the wooden wall of the meeting hall, making a gapping hole. He dashed through the hole and held the sharpened edge to the familiar redhead's throat. “Hey, yo, we were just about to knock, yo!” Reno whimpered, looking in Cloud's cold blue eyes. “Hey, we're friends now, right yo? Remember how we fought side by side against that Bahamut, yo?”
 
“Do let the idiot go, Cloud,” Rufus said as he, and the other Turks: Rude, Elena and their leader Tseng approached. “He's not worth killing. If he was, I'd have done it myself years ago.”
 
“Hey!” Reno yelped indignantly, “That's cold, yo!”
 
“What are you vultures doing here?” Cloud asked finally letting the goggled redhead fall to the ground.
 
“Same reason you're here, I imagine,” Rufus shrugged, his hands in his pockets. “Sephiroth. We have a common foe, Cloud. None of us want another Meteor, now do we? And far be it from me to keep my employees from visiting their home town in their time of need.” The former President of Shin-Ra glanced to the awkwardly standing Tseng.
 
“Rufus, the hell are you doing here?” Barrett asked as he, Tsunade and Tifa looked through the hole Cloud made.
 
“Fools, must I repeat myself all day?” Rufus rolled his eyes. “To sum it up in a sentence: We're here to help.”
 
“And why should we trust you?” Tifa asked with narrowed eyes.
 
“You have no reason to trust my companions,” Tseng said as he walked forward locking eyes with Tsunade. “Nor do you have any reason to trust me after I left, but believe me great Sennin, I would never betray Konoha or its teachings or its people.”
 
“Welcome home, Maito Tseng,” Tsunade smiled and ushered them in.
 
“You should know I hate that name, I'm far from mighty,” Tseng blushed slightly as they reentered the chamber.
 
“I know, but you could have chosen a better family name in my opinion,” Tsunade chuckled.
 
Cloud waited for them all to enter while Reno smiled nervously at him. “We are friends, right yo?”
 
“No,” Cloud narrowed his eyes before jerking and making Reno yelp and run behind his fellow Turks. “You are entertaining though … yo.”
 
“Ok, so what's the situation exactly,” Rufus asked after introducing himself and his men. But before they could explain, the door swung open and Maito Gai with his apprentice burst into the chamber.
 
“Honorable Hokage, we heard violence and came as soon as we could, is anyone … you …” Gai's exaggerated speech dropped to a low growl as his eyes locked with Tseng.
 
“Hello, Gai,” Tseng said, turning his gaze to the boy beside him. “It's been … too long.”
 
“Not long enough, Tseng, why are you here?” Gai asked through clenched teeth.
 
“Gai-Sensei? Do you know this nicely dressed, well groomed youth?” Rock Lee asked, wondering why the Turks leader was staring at him.
 
“What you see here is no youthful warrior, Lee,” Gai said narrowing his eyes on Tseng, “This is a coward, who runs away from all responsibility, from his brother, and his son.”
 
“You don't understand, Gai …” Tseng tried to explain, but Gai held up his hand, and looked away.
 
“Let me introduce you, Lee,” Gai interrupted, glaring daggers at Tseng. “Rock Lee, this is Rock Tseng… your Father.”
 
To Be Continued …