Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ My Last Breath ❯ Letting Go ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kougasmate- okay, this story makes me want to cry, but that's why I posted it. I wrote it in about a half an hour, and will probably be fixing it later. If you think I should make a continuation, tell me and I may consider it.





It hardly seemed real, watching him run to me with a look of such horror on his beautiful face... watching him call out my name, watching him show worry on his usually distant face. For a moment, I wondered if, by chance, it wasn't real, and I was simply sleeping, seeing what I wanted him to see. But no matter how much I loved the looks of concern he showed as he ran towards me, the price for those looks, the price of knowing he truly loved me, was my very life. I knew I wasn't dreaming... Dreams don't hurt like I did at that moment, my crimson blood staining the grass below me with red.
All to soon, he was there, by my side, and I could feel his shoulders shaking as he gathered me in his arms, calling out my name like a lifeline.

hold on to me love
you know i can't stay long
all i wanted to say was i love you and i'm not afraid
can you hear me?
can you feel me in your arms?

His black hair fell into his face beautifully, contrasting with his pale flesh. It was funny really, the way we clashed in every aspect, but loved each other so dearly. Where his hair was dark and stylish, mine was blond and wild. Where his cold, uncaring eyes were onyx, mine were a warm sapphire. His pale skin, my tan skin, so many things that defined us as individuals, with one common trait bringing us together. Our love, as repulsive, and lowly as the villagers saw it, was something that was the same in us both, a driving force and ambition, that never faded. On the contrary, at the moment, it was growing stronger, welling up my loves eyes and pouring out in the form of tears. Tears that splattered my face, tears I alone had seen on numerace occasions. "D-don't..." I opened my eyes, realizing I had closed them, and looked into his well define and handsome face, and implored weakly, "yes...?" He shook his head and brought me close to his chest, so that I could hear the beat of his heart. "Don't go Naruto... Just hold on..." I smiled, wrapping my arms around him, tears welling up in my own eyes, "I'll never let go of you..." He chocked back a sob, "That's right... just keep holding on..." I buried my face in his chest, wetting his shirt with my tears, "I won't let go..." I knew that my words were to protect him from the coming death that I would feel weakening my body.

holding my last breath
safe inside myself
are all my thoughts of you
sweet raptured light it ends here tonight

I looked up at the sky, watching the evening stars shine, happy for such a beautiful sight. "Sasuke..." His name came like a word of comfort to myself, even knowing I was to die, I still sought comfort. I was not afraid, just a little sorrowful. He looked down at me, another tear falling onto my face, "H-hai dobe?" I took my arms from his waist, not daring to look him in the eye. His breath hitched, and he pulled me into his lap, "Don't let go dobe." I snickered, giving him one of my trade mark grins. I knew he could see past the grin, that he could see the sadness within me. "Teme, I don't know if I'm cut out to be the hokage..." He kissed my forehead. "Don't be ridiculous, you'll be a great hokage... You just have to hold on." He grabbed my arms and put them around his waist, but I pulled back. "No... I won't...I can't..."

i'll miss the winter
a world of fragile things
look for me in the white forest
hiding in a hollow tree (come find me)
i know you hear me
i can taste it in your tears

I could hear Kakashi and Sakura approaching, and a forlorn smile graced my face. "Teme... When I'm gone, promise me you won't do anything stupid?" Realization must have hit him at my denial of being Hokage, and he knew I was going to die. But he wouldn't accept it. "You won't leave Naruto... you have to be hokage..."
"Teme... It hurts... to leave you, but promise me, promise you won't do anything stupid..."
He nodded, "I p-promise...dobe." I looked up and saw Kakashi step into the clearing, both eyes widening at the sight. Orochimaru lay a few feet away from us, face contorted in pain, covered in wounds. He was dead, but still, just as a snake's head can bite once it's dead, so can Orochimaru strike fear in people's hearts.I heard Sakura gasp, and begin to run toward us, but Kakashi saw the tell tale signs of death that marked me, and held her back. I saw her send a questioning glance at our old teacher, as we had all become jounin, and then look back at me. She closed her eyes, but a few tears still accompanied the wail of anguish I heard moments later.

holding my last breath
safe inside myself
are all my thoughts of you
sweet raptured light it ends here tonight

Watching you like this, so frightful of losing me, and so loving, both at the same time, tore me apart in side. If it were not for the various wounds that marked me not long for this world, the mere pain on your face would have killed me. I never wanted to see you in so much pain, yet I let my gaurd down, and Orochimaru had taken the oprotunity. Now, you sit beside me, fearful of my death, anguished at being alone, and desperate to save me. You close your eyes and tilt your head towards the heavens, and I hear you whisper,
"No...don't leave me Naruto... don't leave me dobe..."

closing your eyes to disappear
you pray your dreams will leave you here
but still you wake and know the truth
no one's there

I licked my lips, tasting my own blood, and touched his cheek, my own body shaking, but not from fear, but from the pain of knowing I caused the look of anguish on his face. "Teme... I'm here... forever." I put a hand to his chest, feeling the steady beat of his heart, knowing mine was failing. "No Naruto... You can't leave me! All my life, I spent hung up on revenge..." I nodded, "But Itachi is dead... what will you do now?"
"You always were impatient... let me finish dobe. Once I met you, I could see that you understood me. After Itachi died, I presumed that life would return to normal, except you would be with me... always."
I coughed, and blood fell onto Sasuke's hands, and my own. "I've not got long Sasuke..."
He shook his head, pulling me up to his level and brushed his lips against mine. I heard Sakura wailing, and could see Kakashi behind Sasuke leaning against a tree, eyes downcast and clouded in sorrow. "Stay a little longer, please?" I heard his request, but I had not energy to reply back. Instead, I pressed my lips against his, savoring our last kiss. I tasted the saltiness of his tears, and smelt the scent that only Sasuke had. I buried myself in his essence, knowing it would be the last time. His hair, his eyes, his way of annoying me, yet making me love him, everything seemed so important at that moment. But at that moment, one thing became clear. I pulled away, feeling sluggish and weak. "Sasuke..." I crocked, "I can't hold on much longer..."
He nodded, "It's okay dobe... I love you..."
"I'm not afraid..."
He seemed confused, "Of what... dobe?"
"Dying... I'm not afraid..."

say goodnight
don't be afraid
calling me calling me as you fade to black

Sakura approached us just then, Kakashi following. I knew how hard it was for them, to watch me die. "Sakura..." She looked at me with a look of concern, "Hai, Naruto?" I struggled to find the words, at last settling on, "Thank you..." She nodded, "Your welcome Naruto..." I was thanking her for everything, the friendship, the help she often gave me, and for everything else I was to weak to remember. I looked up at Kakashi, "Sensei... I owe you alot..." He tried to smile, but failed, "You are so much like your father Naruto..." I gave a self assured grin, "I'll tell him you said hi..." I heard him mumbled, "You do that, Naruto..." before taking Sakura by the arm and pulling her over to the side, allowing Sasuke and I our privacy.
"Sasuke... I love you."
It pained him to have to say it for the last time, but he did it anyway, "I love you to, Naruto."
Looking into his onyx depths, I implored, "Is it okay, Sasuke... If I let go?"
He closed his eyes, kissing my forehead, "Hai.... let go Naruto... I can't keep you here any longer..."


holding my last breath
safe inside myself
are all my thoughts of you
sweet raptured light it ends here

I closed my eyes, breathing slower, and whispered, "Thank you, Sasuke... for loving me, when no one else would... and thank you, for letting me let go..."
The last thin I heard was a loud sob, and a chocked, "dobe...", before I felt my heart stop, and my blood stop flowing.

sweet raptured light it ends here tonight
--------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------

Nani- what?
hai- yes


okay, so, tell me what you think!