Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto Drabbles ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Pairing: Itachi/Sai
Prompt: Elegantly Wasted
For: Cai
Itachi stared out across the crowded club, his glass of brandy held loosely in one hand as he rested his forearms against the railing on the edge of the dance floor. He had been in this place for a few hours now and after some incessant cajoling from Kisame he had finally relented and had a few more drinks than he knew was wise - this one would be his last as his head was starting to get that blurry feeling that left him feeling a little off kilter.
He could see the tall and rather broad blue haired male attempting to dance with some small female he couldn't make out under the strobe lights; as his dark eyes wandered across the sea of writhing bodies he caught site of a familiar blond head of hair that was attached to his brother's partner - Naruto Uzumaki.
It was that thought that brought back that familiar twinge in his chest that he had been trying to drown he rubbed his knuckles across his breast bone in an attempt to ease the elusory ache. He knew that he was getting older and yet it seemed all of his friends, the few he could call such a thing, and even his Otouto were finding their special people and still he had found no one.
Each partner he had found had eventually left for one reason or another. If the eldest Uchiha was being truthful, as he was want to do when he was on his merry way to getting rather piebald - he was lonely. He saw Sasuke and Naruto everyday and the dark cloud that used to follow his brother around had finally lifted - he could never thank the blond enough for that - but because it was there, in his face it reminded him of the things he didn't have.
He was the head of the Uchiha business, rich, handsome, even considered the cities most desirable bachelor and yet he struggled to find anyone to fill this ache in his heart. He knew of only one man that had truly caught his interest but, in an unusual show of reserve, he wasn't sure how to approach him. This man was far different from anyone else he had attempted to court and was also a few years his junior, being just out of college at the tender age of 20, the same as Sasuke and Naruto.
Itachi was so lost in his own melancholic thoughts he didn't hear his brother saunter up beside him until he carefully prodded his Aniki in the side, startling the usually unflappable man. Itachi turned, glaring down at his sibling and watching a smirk sneak across his brother's lips, and the elder decided that Sasuke may be spending just a little too much time with his prankster boyfriend. Itachi turned back to crowd watching as his brother settled next to him, leaning on the rail beside him as he spoke for the first time, “You are a little on edge Aniki.”
“Hn.” Itachi didn't give his brother any further reaction. He was an Uchiha, he shouldn't have even acknowledged the carefully aimed prod, never mind flinching, and he found that it was much better to ignore it than actively acknowledge the anomalous behaviour.
“Mmmm... I asked someone to come with me and the dobe today...” The elder raven was intrigued, though he didn't show it. It was rare that Sasuke brought anyone out with him other than Naruto - it was well known that he and his younger sibling were very standoffish towards others - friends or otherwise.
His voice slipped out in a sardonic tone, expressing his disinterest even if he was a little curious, “And.”
“Sai's sat at the bar.” That made Itachi pause - he hadn't been prepared for that - even if all his life he had been trained to expect the unexpected. Sasuke had just pole axed him and he felt his eyes shift to the bar area, trying to find the head of silky black locks he was desperate to see.
He felt his heart speed up at the mere mention of the younger man; he caught sight of a dark head of hair and a pale nape that he just knew belonged to the young artist. He felt heat suffuse his cheeks and he purposefully dipped his head to mask the colour with his dark bangs - it wouldn't do to be seen so flustered in public. He tried to keep his voice even as he responded to Sasuke's words, “Ohh and why would you bring him with you. I was led to believe that you find him a tad... annoying.”
“Hn. Why do you think I got Naruto to ask him?” Itachi could hear the smug tone of Sasuke's voice and he was sure there was a knowing smirk plastered across his pale lips.
“I wouldn't know - some sadistic notion or other...” The elder attempted to feign indifference even as his eyes sought out and locked on to that dark head.
“Itachi... you know I can see it right...” Itachi withheld the need to turn and eye his brother, which would give the game away. The question was - just what did his brother know? It was obvious that he knew far more than he should, he strived hard to keep so much hidden from Sasuke and it seemed he hadn't been as discreet as he would have liked.
“What might that be?” The indifference dripped from his voice, he was hoping fervently that his brother hadn't seen further than his interest in Sai.
“That you're lonely - and seem to have an odd fascination with Sai. I'm not precisely sure why but that's not my business.” Itachi heard his brother's voice soften slightly at the admission - he had been hoping that his Otouto hadn't noticed the sadness that seemed to fill him more and more often. Apparently he couldn't hide things as well as he'd like from Sasuke. Then again Sasuke was the person who knew him best.
“Hn. What makes you think I have any interest in one of your acquaintances?” He tried to bluster his way through, but he knew Sasuke wouldn't let go of the idea he had gotten in his head - he was an Uchiha after all. They were renowned for their tenacity.
“You haven't taken your eyes off the bar since I mentioned it.” Itachi felt the first stirrings of discomfort and annoyance filtering into his system, he felt oddly vulnerable - though he could blame that on the alcohol. In any other arena he would be perfectly calm and aloof but the drinks he had consumed had brought his emotions much closer to the surface, unconfined by the normal restraints he placed on them.
“Go away Sasuke.” He all but growled at his brother, his eyes never leaving the young man sat at the bar as his irritation at his sibling rose.
“I will if you go and talk to him.” Itachi could hear the persistence in Sasuke's voice but there was something else there too - he was worried - and that swept a wave of cool water across his burning anger. He knew they jibed at each other but as brothers they were very close and he knew Sasuke was trying to help him.
He responded with a more familiar, “Hn.”
“How about this - I'll tell Naruto you like Sai and then we'll see what plans he can concoct to get you to together hmmm...” Itachi snorted at that, turning just enough to see the slight tilt of Sasuke's lips and the glint of triumph in his eyes.
“Fine.” His Otouto knew he would only become increasingly frustrated at the blond in question when he got an idea in his head - what was worse, he liked Naruto to much too actually stop him. There was just something about the boy that people couldn't help but like. And he was good for Sasuke.
“Good.” He caught the smug look before turning back to his viewing pleasure, seeing a pale hand stroke through those inky black strands he wanted to bury his own fingers in.
“Ohh Aniki?” Itachi raised an eyebrow as he looked back over his shoulder at his younger brother, momentarily distracted from his vigil. “Don't breathe on him you stink of brandy.”
“I may just have to kill you for that Sasuke.” Itachi voice deepened and he shot his brother a glare as he watched the other turn away chuckling softly.
“Later. Go catch that annoying idiot you like so much first.” The words were thrown back over Sasuke's retreating back and Itachi couldn't help the small smile that tugged at his own lips. Sasuke was right - he was an Uchiha - he always went straight for the goal and that's what he was going to do.
Itachi knocked back what was left of the brandy in his glass, feeling the rich liquid burn down his throat as the ice cubes bumped against his lips. He deposited his glass on a surface loaded with other bottles and glasses and made his way across the sea of shifting bodies to the bar. As he looked over the numerous patrons he caught site of the one he was searching for and slipped efficiently around people in his way, completely oblivious to the admiring glances he left in his wake.
He ran a hand through his silky locks, feeling them fall back into place effortlessly as he walked purposefully around the bar and stepped up beside the object of his desire. He leant casually against the bar with one elbow, settling his side to press against the surface as he stared down at the young man. He made note of the orange juice the artist held between slender fingers, his eyes trailed north over pale forearms, across the tight black t-shirt that contoured to Sai's slender, yet toned body.
They wandered over the smooth column of Sai's throat, past rosy lips and up to eyes that were framed by thick soft lashes and met with piercing obsidian orbs that were staring straight into his own. “Can I help you Uchiha-san?”
“Please don't call me that Sai, that is my father's title. Call me Itachi. You do know Sasuke after all.” He watched the artist avidly, that placid gaze was unwavering and he found it a little unsettling to not be able to read the young artist.
“Hmm... Itachi-san, you never answered my question.” The raven had deliberately circum-navigated it because he feared, with his tongue loosened by the alcohol, that he might say something that he would later regret. He cursed Kisame in his head for encouraging his lack of control through imbibing.
He measured his words carefully before he spoke, knowing he didn't want to let slip just how much this man got to him, “Ah... I wanted to speak with you...”
“Oh... I was under the impression that you wanted something else.” Itachi looked carefully at the man before him, was he being deliberately provocative or was his addled mind reading to far into it?
Itachi took a risk, calculated in his mind as best possible before he gave his drawn out reply,” Yes.....”
Sai crooked his finger to bring motion Itachi forward. Itachi eyes widened ever so slightly as he leant in, scenting Sai's citrus tinted breath as it ghosted across his face before curling seductively in his ear. Sai's voice was deliciously deep and sultry when he whispered in his ear, “You are drunk Itachi-san.”
The raven took a deep breath, steadying himself before he spoke again, letting his voice dip and heat with his stirring interest for the artist, “I prefer to call it elegantly wasted but ... I suppose drunk will do...”
“Then perhaps...” Itachi felt lips tickle against his earlobe and he restrained himself from moving in closer. Already leant far enough into the other mans space that it would be practically indecent.
He all but purred, “Yes...”
“Tomorrow... meet me at my studio...” Itachi leant back a bit slightly confused by the sudden turn of subject. He caught those dark orbs with his own once more and he was sure he saw something flash in those eyes, something hungry that held him in its rapture for but a moment.
“T-tomorrow?” Itachi questioned Sai, curious just what the young man meant by tomorrow, they were here now were they not?
“Mmmm... I think I'd like it more if we were both sober...No?” He watched as the very corner of Sai's lip lifted in a small almost non-existent smile. He stared at the slight twitch, unsure if it had truly been there.
He ran his hand up through his bangs to settle himself as he responded, feeling more than a little put out and at not getting his prize. “Ah…Yes.”
And with that the young artist reached out, shocking the raven into stillness as a cool finger stroked down his cheek. He watched in silence as Sai slid off the stool beside him speaking softly, “See you tomorrow Itachi... I expect to see you very naked and ready to be...painted.” With that the elder Uchiha watched as Sai walked away, his hips rolling seductively as he disappeared through the crowd.
Itachi ran a hand across his face and sighed deeply, he spoke quietly under his breath. “I think I might be in for more trouble than I thought.”