Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto: Land of Darkness ❯ Ai Explains it All! Team Kurenai and Team Gai Encounter Night Walkers! ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Once again with the disclaimer. I do not own Naruto, the characters or the canon plot whatsoever. All of that rightfully belongs to Kishimoto. The characters, Adam and Ai, are characters created by my friend, Belletiger. However, all other Night Walkers including Damien and Mikon belong to me.

Anyway, it was great to add six more reviews for my story. No doubt this fic will continue. Thank you all for giving me enough motivation to continue this story. :D

Now, we can get all the crazy and exciting ninja action you all have been waiting for! Team Kurenai and Team Gai (minus the injured Rock Lee) will see action against many of Damien's servants. In addition, Ai will reveal more about these 'blood suckers' and her background to Team Kakashi.

Lots and lots of action. You shouldn't be disappointed.

Naruto: Land of Darkness continues with act three!

Start story!



(Cue Naruto's fourth opening Go!)




Naruto: Land of Darkness

Ai Explains it All! Team Kurenai and Team Gai Encounter Night Walkers!




Outskirts of Darkness Country/Near the Forest Area/Southern Region


The tension had calmed since Ai had lunged at Naruto and nearly slit his throat with her kunai. She sat at the center and glanced at the burning campfire. Curled up into a fetal position, she wrapped her arms around her legs and sighed. Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura and Kakashi all had their eye on her while waiting for her explanation about the 'night walkers' and her background story.

Ai moved her eyes off the campfire and set them on Team 7. She knew there was no use hiding any detail on the enemy they must encounter and about herself.

"All right, since you guys were the team sent by your Hokage, I can go ahead and explain the situation," she stated, keeping an eye on Naruto. "I deeply apologize for attacking you all. I needed to be convinced that you were indeed the ones sent to aid me and not another group of night walkers."

"Night walkers, blood suckers, monsters. That's all I've been hearing but yet I still have no idea what you're talking about," Naruto scoffed, crossing his arms. "You actually thought I'd be one of those creeps?"

"Look, it is my business to approach strangers to this land. I had to take precautions. You have no idea how long I had to survive out here on my own!"

"It must have been very difficult for you. I mean you said yourself that you are the last survivor of your entire village?" Sakura asked the girl.

Ai nodded. "Yes, I am. That I know of but I'm sure I'm the last survivor of Yamigakure. It's been seven years since then. Since that night..."

"That night?" Sasuke said.

"That was the night when the Night Walkers raided and destroyed Yamigakure. It was an ambush we did not see coming. At that time, I was only six years old. I was beginning to train and would enter the academy at an early. I was gifted intellectually but I had poor performances in my shinobi training. I couldn't even throw a shuriken or a kunai to save my life. Anyway about that night, my parents had managed to get out of the village and made sure that I would survive. They sent me aboard on a boat raft down the local river. Before I was cast away, this was the last thing they said to me: Survive my gifted child. We love you. Since then, that was the last time I've ever seen them. They, too, become victims of the attack. Later, I would find myself swept ashore on a riverbank. I was scared and wanted my parents comfort to keep me safe. I was all alone in the darkness with the beasts. Hiding inside a cave, I slept there and had to adapt on surviving on my own. I hated the idea of doing so but I would vow to survive as my parents told me. I also vowed to avenge the deaths of all of my people. From time to time, I would stop by the abandoned village to repair my weaponry and to seek shelter there.

However, deep down, I have a feeling there just may be a survivor. I hope I'm right. I don't want to be the only survivor of the now-extinct village. At least, I could share the pain I felt from that night with someone who would relate."

"And you've trained yourself in the wilderness on your own, I assume?" Kakashi asked, his eye narrowing.

"Yes but it wasn't easy. I had to adapt to my surroundings and perfect my skills. But, I am a quick learner. Jutsus are just as tough but I learned to get them right. Heh, the hardest one I have to say would be my Bunshin no Jutsu. I have to admit. The first time I used it, I ended up with pretty crappy results. I couldn't even create one single clone!"

Naruto smiled and snickered to himself. "Oh man! I remember having trouble with that, too! Who would have thought she would have trouble with it the first time?"

"Yeah, that does sound like somebody we know," Sakura sighed, glancing over at the Kyuubi boy. "Right, Naruto?"

"Uh, uh, what Sakura-chan? Nah, that was a long time ago! I can do that in my sleep nowadays!"

Sasuke nodded and 'Hmmed'. "And the whereabouts of these Night Walkers? A little more detail on them would be nice."

"Well, I don't know about their hideout. I'm sorry to say but I can tell you about them from firsthand experience. They usually only come out during dusk and the later hours. Though, they are known to hide and move about the shadiest areas of the forest when there is little sunlight. So, I'm fighting for my life during both times of the day. They usually weak black clothing and conceal their identities. However, I can recognize their eerie, red glow in their eyes. Filled with hunger and bloodlust. Just like demons... They have incredible agility and have twice the strength of any normal shinobi. Because of this, I had to force myself to strength train by lifting heavy objects and training with weights underneath my clothing. Now, I've got enough strength to lift a large boulder ten times my size."

"Wow, now that's strong!" Naruto exclaimed.

"Yeah and I've worn black myself to mimic their shinobi style. Their weaknesses include a number of things. This includes wooden stakes or any weapon made directly out of wood. I use wooden shurikens and kunais. They have worked against them but I had to make sure they strike their chest. Specifically, it has to be through their hearts."

"Their hearts?" Kakashi raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, exactly for their hearts or it will never work. Next, I've learned that sunlight does indeed kill them. This was proven when I've led several into the open sunlight as they chased in pursuit of me. That and a certain brand of holy water I pick up from my abandoned village. That will indeed kill a Night Walker. Unfortunately, now, there is a very short supply left in the village. I have to rely more on my wooden weaponry and the sunlight."

"Well, we're in trouble! All we've brought are metal shurikens and kunai with us," Sakura stated. "Ai-chan, would you lend us some of your wooden weapons?"

"I'm afraid I can't do that. I'm sorry but I need them. However, I can help you carve your own weapons. It shouldn't be too difficult and much trouble for you, Konoha shinobi."

"Yes, that should be no trouble us. Right, guys?" Kakashi asked Team 7.

"Aww but I wanted to borrow weapons from Ai-chan!" Naruto whined and scoffed. "I didn't want to have to make my own weapons."

The pink-haired kunoichi rolled her eyes. "Oh, don't be such a whiner, Naruto. If it's too much trouble, I'll carve one for you to show you how it's done. But, first, Ai-chan, you can show us?"

"I certainly can but I think it's getting rather late and I feel a little tired."

"We understand. Um, well, we only brought four tents. So, Sakura-chan, looks like you and Ai-chan will have to share a tent together. If you don't mind that is."

"Oh no, Kakashi-sensei. I have no problem at all!"

"Thank you, Sakura-chan," Ai bowed her head thoughtfully.

"We did have ourselves a skirmish tonight and traveled here afar from Konohagakure. Sleep would be the best choice," Sasuke said. "But I could stand guard..."

"No, you leave that with me. We can switch places whenever I get tired myself, Sasuke," Kakashi replied.

"All right then. I'm off to bed."

"Oh, oh, Sakura-chan, come over here!" Naruto called over his teammate.

"Hold on just a minute, Ai-chan. I have to go take care of something," Sakura said, walking away from the girl and advancing toward Naruto. "What is it, Naruto? I'm about to hit the sack here."

"Um, I'm just wondering why you're letting Ai-chan sleep with you? I mean she did nail you in the gut when you tried to hold her."

"So? She reacted out of self defense."

"Well, did you see the look she gave me?"

"No, what look?"

Naruto glanced over toward Ai and waved to her. However, the slayer girl turned away from him and gave him a cold shoulder. She already knew that he had the Kyuubi inside of him and realized she has a deep hatred for the demon kind. It all stemmed back to the fact that demonic creatures that killed all of her people and left Yamigakure a ghost town for years.

"What look are you talking about? Naruto?"

"Well, she thought we were those Night Walkers. And the way she attacked me. She accused me of being one of them."

"Like she said, she was only taking precautions. You'd probably do the same if you were in her shoes. I know I would have. Leave her alone, Naruto. She's been through a lot. Now, tomorrow, we've got a big day. Once Ai-chan shows us how to carve our own wooden weapons, we'll be ready for when night falls. She knows a lot about this land and will know where to take us."

"Well, I don't care if she has any problem with me, I'm ready for these Night Walkers and whatever they can throw at me! I won't back down!" Naruto declared. "I'll prove to them why I'm the greatest shinobi! They're in for a big surprise!"

As she watched Naruto walk into his tent, Sakura sighed deeply yet slightly smiled. "Fool. But I'm glad you feel up to this. If you're brave enough to confront these demons, then I should be, too. It should be interesting, tomorrow."

Then, after yawning, Sakura walked into her tent and found Ai lying on the left side of the bed. The pink-haired ninja covered her up with a blanket and lied on the right side and looked up at the top of her tent. Thoughts ran through her mind momentarily until she finally succumbed to sleep.

Kakashi remained on guard with his eye scanning the forest. He made sure to stay awake for as long as he could but so far there haven't been any suspicious activity. At least, not for now.

Midnight came and the creatures of the night would become even more active than ever.



Remote Area in the Southwest/Darkness Country


The Night Walkers were immediately on the hunt with midnight already passed and a near-full moon looming in the skies. A group of twelve Night Walker shinobi gathered at the end of the forest. They stopped to find Mikon and Adam standing in front of them.

Waving her hand out, Mikon directed the shinobi across the forest and jumped onto a tree branch. Adam jumped up on another branch and glanced over at the mistress.

"Let me give you warning, boy. Do NOT slow me down while I'm on my hunt. Now, my father expects you to bring him back a meal tonight. I take it you understand what will happen to your dearest mother if you do not satisfy my father's needs?"

Nodding his head reluctantly, Adam replied. "Yes, Mikon-sama. I will return with a victim. I will not let him down."

"Good. I'm glad we're at an understanding. I'm sure your mother would be so proud of you right now," Mikon giggled, taunting the young boy.

Shuddering to himself, Adam pounced across and disappeared into the forest to begin his hunt. Mikon motioned over to three Night Walkers and pointed toward the direction where Adam had taken.

"Follow him and make sure he doesn't do anything foolish like escaping!"

"Yes, Mikon-sama!"

With that, the three shinobi vanished through puffs of smoke and followed ahead to keep an eye on Adam's whereabouts. The other shinobi were left behind and given new orders by Damien's daughter.

"The rest of you can go hunt for yourselves! Find whatever you can and feast! I will be dining myself. I hope that a lost shinobi is within this territory because it has been a while since I've tasted delicious human blood," she smiled, licking her lips. "This should be quite fun..."

With that, Mikon stood up and extended the wings folded on her back. They covered the mistress and in turn she disappeared out of sight as her body transformed into a horde of bats. The bats took off into the forest toward the southeastern direction. The remaining shinobi spread out and took several directions. Six took the western route and the last six left for the southeastern turn.

However, the bats (once Mikon) could now smell fresh meals toward her direction. She had hoped it would be one of the teams sent by Konohagakure and the thought of feeding on a team was a tasty idea for her. Fortunately, one of her shinobi was on their way toward her same direction.

Because in that direction was one of Konohagakure's most well known teams: the team led by Maito Gai.



Southeastern Area/Darkness Country


Already setting up camp were the two members of Team Gai. These two team members were Hyuuga Neji and Tenten. Conspicuous by his absence was the injured Rock Lee. The team had just completed a mission over in a hill country on the eastern border of the Wind Country. They stopped by this area beunknowst of the dangers and would rest up until morning.

Sitting down, Neji was concentrating on some meditation before going to sleep. He had brown hair, the Konohagakure headband around his forehead, a beige shirt, dark brown shorts (that reached above his knees) and his own pair of zoris. On his right leg was his shuriken holster taped down and bandages going down his right leg. The most notable features of Neji have always been his white eye. Using his eyes, Neji has access to the Bloodline Limit of Konoha's Hyuuga Clan: the Byakugan. As part of Team Gai, he proven he was the strongest of the Konoha genin (as well as the most talented) and known for his extremely impressive Taijutsu. He had an incredible marking for a 13-year-old and referred to as a "genius." He is related to another Konoha genin, Hyuuga Hinata, as they were both cousins. Since the end of the Chunin Exams, Neji had a major turnaround prior to his defeat to Naruto. Through Naruto's words, he saw the 'light' that destiny was capable of being altered. Since then, while he may never admit it, he was thankful for Naruto showing him a brighter part of life.

The girl looking out at the moon was Tenten. She has brown hair tied up into a pair of buns. The Konohagakure headband adorned her forehead. Tenten wore a pink, Chinese-style (no sleeve) shirt, green pants with a shuriken holster taped around it and a pair of blue zoris. Not much is really known about her techniques, but she is a master of weaponry and an expert in the use of the melee armaments. She feels strongly of her teammates and often admiring them when she's not training. She aims to become a great kunoichi yet is still considered one of the best female ninja in her village.

Their sensei, who was already setting up his tent, was the infamous Gai. He appeared to be in his late-twenties. His face sported thick, black eyebrows, which were his most notable features. His black dome-shaped hair was shiny and he often showed an exceedingly unconventional personality. He wore the same outfit his most favorite student, Rock Lee (currently injured), wears in honor of his great sensei except he adorned a green jacket to show that he was on the Jounin-level. Despite his rather strange appearance, he is the self-proclaimed rival of Team 7's sensei, Kakashi, and often leads to Gai being annoyed by his rival's 'cool attitude.'

"Hey, Neji. It's already getting dark and standing out here is starting to give me the creeps," Tenten spoke out, standing behind her team mate. "I think we should be getting some shut-eye since we'll be leaving on a long trip back to Konohagakure."

"Just a moment..." Neji replied, deeply inhaling.

"Oh, but that's what you said twenty minutes ago. I don't know about you but I'm getting tired. Man, what a day."

"Go ahead. I'll be going to sleep soon."

Tenten merely shrugged her shoulders. "suite yourself."

As she walked from her teammate, Gai turned and watched Tenten stepping toward her tent. He immediately flashed her the 'nice guy' thumb-up and smile (with the proverbial 'ping' to go along with it).

"Make sure and get plenty of rest, Tenten! You and Neji have the youth and spirit to keep going!" Gai smiled.

Sweat dropping, Tenten chuckled and stepped into her tent. She then untied her buns while stretching out her arms. Gai glanced over at the meditating Neji and sighed. As much as he enjoyed being their sensei, he deeply missed Rock Lee and wished for his speedy recovery. His team hadn't been as active without their most prominent team member.

"Oh, Lee, get better soon. I know your fiery youth will get you back on your feet in no time."

Yawning, Gai felt the need to get inside his tent and rest for the night but continued to keep an eye on Neji. The winds were getting stronger with a high-pitched whistling echoing from the distance. Neji's ears were suddenly picking up on a rustling noise in the forest. He opened his eyes and scanned the surroundings.

The white-eyed Genin 'Hmmed' to himself and got off his kneeled position. "What's this disturbance I'm hearing? Looks like we're not alone."

Glancing ahead of him, Neji noticed a pair of red glowing orbs of light. He narrowed his eyes and tried to get a better view of the 'red eyes' but they immediately disappeared. He spun around and noticed Gai standing up.

"Gai-sensei, did you feel that disturbing presence just now?" Neji asked the Jounin.

"Yeah, and you saw those eyes just now?"

Nodding in reply, Neji replied. "I did. I'm going to go wake up Tenten since it seems we've entered uncharted territory. I knew camping here was a bad idea."

"I should have listened to you. All right, go and wake Tenten up. That is if she's not asleep now."

"Right, I'll be right back, Gai-sensei."

As she said that, Neji raced past Gai and poked his head inside Tenten's tent to find the kunoichi setting up her bed. She turned and found her teammate staring at her.

"Neji? What's going on?"

"Trouble. Looks like we've just entered an enemy shinobi's territory. I can't really confirm who or what we're dealing with but come out at once."

"Right!" the kunoichi nodded and tied her hair up back into buns. "And just when I was going to get my beauty sleep, too."

Neji returned back and stood by Gai's side. The darkness of the forest was still relatively unknown to them with possible enemy shinobi hiding out and waiting to ambush them at any given opportunity.

"Try finding them with your Byakugan, Neji."

The Genin nodded, closed his eyes and activated his Bloodline limit trait. "BYAKUGAN!!"

As he activated his technique, Neji now had nearly a 360-degree field of vision (with the exception for a small blind spot behind the first thoracic vertebrae) and can spot anything around him within a 50-meter radius. He quickly scanned and located six of the Night Walker shinobi hidden in the forest.

"Got them! There are six of them, Gai-sensei!" Neji confirmed. "They're definitely enemy shinobi."

"Ok then. Tenten!"

As she jumped out of her tent, the female swiftly landed beside her teammate and sensei to face off against the six shinobi. Red eyes flashed through the darkness as they looked upon the trio.

"They're coming this way. I suggest we each take two since there are three of us," Neji stated.

Gai nodded in agreement. "Good thinking, Neji. Tenten, you ready?"

"You kidding? These creeps didn't even allow me to get some sleep. How do you think I feel?" Tenten scoffed and noticeably upset. "I think I'd like to show them just how ticked I can get."

"Here they come!" Neji called out.

Upon his warning, they anticipated for the enemy shinobi to come out of hiding. Two leaped out from the right corner of the forest while two more sprang out from the left side. The last two instantly appeared behind the trio. Gai, Neji and Tenten found themselves surrounded by the Night Walker shinobi.

"Well, well, isn't this convenient?!" the dark shinobi snickered amongst themselves and chattered. "To think three from Konohagakure would even show up upon our land!"

"Who are they, Gai-sensei?" Tenten asked the Jounin.

Studying the headband protectors on each of the shinobi's foreheads, they had the symbol of bats on them. "I can't confirm. We are awfully close to the Yamigakure but their symbol is that of the owl. I don't recall bat symbols."

"So, they must be a newer breed of shinobi?" Neji wondered.

"Well, whatever they are, I don't like them."

"And it appears we might have intruded into their land," Gai stated.

Neji frowned. "But we didn't even know this was their land. How do we even know for sure if they have any right claim to this territory?"

"I can't say for sure but no way I'm going to bother asking with those looks they're giving us."

"Who cares? I say we take them down!" Tenten insisted, pulling out a pair of nunchaku. "I'm ready!"

"You're fired up as ever, Tenten! That's what I like to see!" Gai smiled and announced. "Team Gai! Spread out!"

With that, the trio separated from each other and took on two of the six Night Walkers. Neji prepared to battle two, as did Gai and Tenten.

-

Neji raced ahead at two of the shinobi and caught them off guard by leaping over them. The pair turned and watched as Neji executed a palm thrust and pushing them back with a violent force of his chakra.

"HAKKE KUSHO!! Eight Trigrams Empty Palm!"

The Night Walker duo was sent sailing back by the chakra force until they stopped themselves into midair. Neji watched as they were somehow 'levitating' in mid-air without wings.

"These aren't any ordinary shinobi I've seen before," Neji muttered. "They're floating into mid-air without the aid of wings or chakra to keep them afloat! What are they?"

"Well, this is interesting. Our opponent is that of the Hyuuga clan!" the shinobi pair chattered to each other. "Won't Damien-sama be pleased to know?"

"Damien?" Neji whispered.

The dark shinobi swooped down to attack Neji again but the Genin managed to roll away to the side and waited for the moment to retaliate. He jumped back to his feet.

"You won't be flying around me for long!" exclaimed Neji. "Besides, you can't escape my Byakugan. No matter where you hide!"

-

Tenten back flipped and landed swiftly as she waited for the two shinobi to attack her head-on. She spun her nunchaku fiercely and adorned a serious look on her face. One of the dark shinobi twisted around and caught Tenten off guard. The other pounced at Tenten and aimed to take her down with a single blow. However, a sly smirk curled the kunoichi's lips and she dropped the nunchaku. She pulled out a red stick from her shuriken holster and extended it into a staff. Tenten spun it overhead and slammed the long staff against the chest of the shinobi coming from her left side. As the shinobi from the left side came, she whacked the staff across his head and sent him slamming against a tree.

"How about that?!" Tenten cried out, spinning her staff overhead and taking a stance.

However, much to her dismay, the two shinobi were getting back up on their feet. The kunoichi was a bit surprised with this and noticed they weren't limping from any injury inflicted by her weapon.

"No way...? What are these guys? Fine, then. You're thirsty for more?"

Tenten took a chance and leaped straight up into mid-air. Reaching over at the pouch behind her bottom, she pulled out a pair of long scrolls and spun around gracefully with the long scrolls encircling in motions.

"SOSHORYU!! Twin Rising Dragons!"

Spinning faster and faster, numerous weapons were summoned including kunais, shurikens, scythes, spears and knives. Tenten used strings attached to the weapons to guide them toward their designated targets. They came raining down at the shinobi pair. They were immediately caught by the incoming weapons and stabbed all over their body. The pair collapsed on the ground and pinned down like pincushions with the knives, kunais and shurikens pierced through their bodies. Tenten landed gracefully with her scroll and smirked.
"Yeah and that should do it!"

Unfortunately, little did she realize, there were a pair of crimson eyes watching Tenten and Neji's performance. The mistress, Mikon, licked her lips as she could sense the beating hearts of the young Genin.

"Impressive but they lack any knowledge of our weaknesses. That will be their undoing."

-

Gai maneuvered around each of the two black shinobis attacking him head-on. He grabbed one by the arm and delivered a fist to send the enemy ninja sailing back. The other tried jumping Gai from behind and choking until the Jounin threw him off. Jumping down on the fallen shinobi, Gai stomped down on the enemy's chest and forced him to gasp. He saw the other ninja attempting to attack him with a shuriken. Tossing it toward the Jounin, Gai simply caught it with two fingers on his right hand. Jumping out at the shinobi, Gai cried out and delivered a basic, flying jump kick to surprise attack the enemy.

"DAINAMIKKU ENTORI! Dynamic Entry!" Gai howled out.

Delivering tremendous force, the Jounin knocked the shinobi down in one blow. He stood over the two enemy ninja put his foot over one while striking a brief 'nice guy' pose.

-

Mikon scowled upon seeing Gai's performance and noticed the shinobi were easily beat down by the Konoha ninja. However, she did not seem at all worried.

"No matter what they do to them, our ninja will not stand down. They can punish them all they want but they do not know their weaknesses. They are only exerting all of their energy and that will render fatigued. Heh, now I wonder how that foolish child, Adam, is doing in finding my father's next meal?"



Southwestern Area/Darkness Country


With one battle front taking place involving three members of Konohagakure, four more were preparing to settle down for the night before heading back to their home village the next morning. The team camping out in this section was Team Kurenai, which consisted of the three Genin: Aburame Shino, Hyuuga Hinata and Inuzuka Kiba. Also accompanying Kiba was his trusted dog and friend, Akamaru.

Leaning back on against a tree trunk was Shino. The hair was black and spiked up. His Konohagakure headband adorned his forehead and the sunglasses covered his eyes. Shino's coat was light grayish and larger than his normal-size body frame with the collar. His hands were slid through the pockets of his coat. His pants were slightly dark grayish with his shuriken holster taped around his right leg. He, too, wore a pair of zoris and had a swarm of bugs around his shoulders. His face seemed stoic but rather reserved. Cool, collected and confident, he is usually quiet and keeps to himself but still places plenty of value and teamwork with his teammates. As part of the Aburame clan, Shino had infused with a special breed of insects that feed on chakra at birth. Now, as a result, he commands his insects to attack or do whatever he wishes.

Wrapping up a piece of cloth was the shy and soft-spoken Hinata. Her indigo-colored hair was short with two bang-like strands coming down the sides of her cheeks. Her eyes were pale lavender/white. Around her neck was her Konohagakure headband. Her outfit consisted of a parka-like beige jacket, dark indigo pants (with her shuriken holster taped on her right leg) and a pair of zoris. Despite being shy, Hinata was tough and resolute. She, too, was a member of the Hyuuga clan and a user of the Byakugan just like her cousin, Neji. She often struggled with low self-confidence but kept reminding herself to not give up. Even though, she has had little confidence in telling Naruto her infatuation with him.

Sleeping inside his tent was Kiba and his dog, Akamaru. He wore a dark gray parka jacket with black fur around his hood, his sleeves and waistline. Adorning his forehead was the Konohagakure headband. His mouth had a pair of canines like a dog's. Streaked down across his cheeks were red slightly triangular markings. He wore a pair of black shorts with his shuriken holster taped around his right leg and a pair of zoris of his own. Lying on his stomach was his ninken, Akamaru. He was a small, beige-furred dog with a brown, little nose, brown markings on his floppy ears and around his lips. His eyes are almost always closed even when awake. These two are known to communicate with each other, especially since Akamaru has always been useful to Kiba in his missions. As part of the Inuzuka family, Kiba has heightened senses much like a canine and can increase his sense of smell a thousand-fold.

Standing guard and looking out into the moon was their sensei, Yuhi Kurenai. She was the most recent Jounin and little was known about her. She appeared to be a young woman in late-twenties. Her hair was long and black with a pair of crimson eyes, which look similar to the Sharingan minus the tomoe inside the eyes. Her headband protector adorned her forehead. Her arms and wrists taped up with bandages. Her outfit consisted of a white top with that was sleeveless on the left arm side and covered a slightly long red sleeve on the right side. Underneath her long top was tape covering her legs above her knee-line. Her feet were adorned with zoris and more tape around her ankles and calves. She shows deep care for her three students and developed a strong bond with each of them; though she was a lot closer to Hinata.

Kurenai felt the wind's breeze and felt certain uneasiness from her surroundings. "I don't like this. I'm sensing uneasiness in the wind. Hinata..."

"Yes, Kurenai-sensei?" the white-eyed girl asked, approaching the older woman.

"Could you see through the forest with your Byakugan?"

"Sure but what for if I could ask?"

Kurenai looked around her surroundings and slightly frowned. "I think we're being watched somehow."

"What? Who would be watching us?"

Shino overheard this. "What's going on? Somebody's been spying on us?"

Then, almost immediately as if right on cue, Akamaru awoke and started to bark out. Kiba woke up and sniffed the air.

"Yeah, you smell that, too, Akamaru?" Kiba said to his closest friend. "There's definitely someone or something out there watching us!"

As Akamaru ran out of the tent, Kiba raced after his dog companion and joined the rest of his teammates. They gazed out toward the forest as Hinata prepared to use the technique passed down her family. Kurenai waited before reaching for a kunai under her sleeve and anticipated what may attack at any moment.

Hinata called out. "BYAKUGAN!!"

Now her field of vision was almost 360-degrees and she immediately located the whereabouts of the Night Walker ninja. Hinata frowned and pointed toward the direction where the enemy ninja were hidden.

"Over there! Enemies are ahead of us!"

"Heh, yeah, I can smell. Right, Akamaru?" Kiba smirked.

The dog barked in reply and wagged his tail. Shino noticed his insects were buzzing around in alarm.

"And my insects are telling me otherwise," Shino stated.

"There's six of them," Hinata stated. "Kurenai-sensei?"

The woman sneered as the six shinobi hopped right out of their hiding spots and swarmed around the team. Kiba and Shino were ready as were Hinata, Akamaru and Kurenai.

"Well, this should be fun. I call two on the left. Shino, you've got the other two?"

"Whatever you say."

Kurenai nodded in agreement. "Ok then. Hinata, you and I will take the last two by ourselves."

"Yes!" the Hyuuga girl responded.

"Team Kurenai! Attack!" the woman called out.

With that, the four shinobi (and dog) spread out across the forest.

-

Kiba hopped onto a tree branch with Akamaru as two of the Night Walkers jumped up onto tree branches on opposite ends. The enemy ninja threw pairs of spinning blades across, which Kiba avoided by ducking under.

"Ha! Is that the best you've got? Let's show them how it's really done, Akamaru!"

Barking in reply, Akamaru began spinning around with ferocious speed. Kiba followed the same pattern and spun himself rapidly. The duo came together to create an even more powerful spinning attack and flew directly at one of the Night Walkers. They slammed hard against the shinobi and punished him with a variety of beastlike attacks.

"GATSUGA!! Double Piercing Fang!"

The other shinobi was flabbergasted and tried to get away but not long as the Akamaru/Kiba pair directed their spinning attack at the other fleeing ninja.

SLAM!!

The attack connected and sent the dark shinobi flying back into a tree. Kiba and Akamaru called off their attack while dropping down to take a breather.

"See, I told ya how we do things with creeps like you! Right, Akamaru?"

"Ruff!" the little dog barked in reply.

Then, Kiba stopped and smelt the 'dead' stench from the shinobi he had beaten down. "Geez, they smell like corpses! What's up with this? Are they really walking corpses? Were they revived by some kind of forbidden jutsu?"

Kiba wasn't sure what to think but Akamaru also smelt the stench. They weren't sure whether they were facing any ordinary shinobi.

Then, much to Kiba's grim horror, the two undead shinobi were rising back from their fallen positions. It was as if they were not damaged in anyway from Kiba and Akamaru's attack.

"Hey, what's going on here?!" Kiba exclaimed.

-

Shino stood still as the two Night Walkers he faced stopped. The bugs from Shino gathered around and covered the two shinobi.

With a mere adjustment of his sunglasses, Shino merely uttered. "Kikaichu no Jutsu. Destruction Bug Host Technique."

The insects immediately started to sap away the chakra from the two enemy ninja. They dropped down to their knees. Shino walked away from the fallen enemy and let his bugs do their work.

"Too easy..."

However, just as he made another step, Shino abruptly stopped and turned to watch as the two shinobi were rising back to their feet. The bug user couldn't believe what he was seeing. He knew his bugs would eat their chakra but they somehow were still managing to stand up not fatigued from the loss of chakra.

"Impossible! They should be weakened from drainage of chakra!" Shino gasped. "Wait, my bugs are telling me they're not even alive somehow. Are they undead shinobi?"

-

Hinata had her 'game face' on as she took a stance and put her palm hands out in front. The stance she took was the Hyuuga family's Juken stance.

As the shinobi came to attack her with a knife in hand, Hinata raced toward the enemy and quickly started to strike across its body using her palms.

"JUKEN! Gentle Fist!"

She slapped away the knife out of the enemy ninja's hand and struck his chest. The shinobi shrieked from the blow and felt damage being inflicted to the internal organs inside his body. Hinata stood over the fallen ninja with her Byakugan still activated.

"What village did these ninja come from I wonder?" Hinata wondered. "The symbol on their forehand protector... look like a bat..."

Then, without warning, the fallen ninja started to stir about and moved its arms around. Hinata was immediately taken back by this and jumped back in surprise.

"What? But he should be down!" Hinata gasped, her eyes widening.

However, much to her dismay, the undead shinobi was rising back to its feet.

-

Kurenai back flipped from the shinobi she was handling on her own. Holding her kunai in one hand, she waited for the enemy ninja to continue his attack toward her. The Night Walker pulled out a small kodachi from under his sleeve. As he advanced closer, Kurenai dropped down from an overhead slash and leg swept the shinobi. She lunged forward and stabbed her kunai into the enemy's chest. As the ninja fell back, Kurenai stayed on top of him and pressed her kunai deeper through his chest while drawing out blood.

Clenching her teeth, Kurenai pressed the weapon deeper and twisted it to tear through the flesh. "Now, tell me who sent for you?" The female demanded out of the Night Walker.

Pulling herself off the shinobi, Kurenai wiped the blood from her kunai. She knew somehow she wasn't going to get an answer if she had killed him.

Suddenly, her eyes caught a movement in the ninja's right arm. Then, she jumped back with her kunai in hand and watched the enemy shinobi rise to his feet despite the deep flesh wound on his chest.

"What's going on here? He should be dead!" Kurenai exclaimed, her eyes on the undead ninja and noticed the bat symbol on his headband. "A bat symbol? But I thought we were near the Yamigakure? Their symbol should that of the owl. Not the bat. Is this a new village we have yet to discover and put in our records?"

The wound on the undead shinobi was healing, which caught Kurenai completely off guard.

"Whatever the case, they're still an enemy and I can't let them eliminate us."

-

Watching from afar and sitting still on a tree branch, Adam was impressed with the tenacity of the four Konoha ninja. He also seemed overly impressed with even Hinata's performance.

"Wow, they're much better than Damien-sama had given them credit for..."

"Yes but even they do not have the unlimited stamina we Night Walkers possess!"

Glancing over his shoulder, he came face-to-face with Mikon, who was hanging upside down from another tree branch. He became startled with her entrance and pointed at her.

"Don't scare me like that!"

Mikon busted out laughing. "You're such a little coward, Adam. You get scared by every teensy, weensy little thing that jumps out."

"That's not funny!"

"Oh, I'm sorry. You're right," Mikon apologized until she grabbed Adam by his neck. "No, it's not funny. It's freaking HILARIOUS!! Ha! Ha!"

Releasing her grip on Adam, Mikon glanced over at the battle taking place. She watched the performance of each of Konoha's best.

"Interesting, they don't seem to be giving up. Well, then, I think it's time we spring into action and collect our prize. Now, father expects you to bring him back a tasty morsel. Specifically the blood of a young female. Ah, that young girl shall do!" The mistress pointed directly to where Hinata was fighting the undead shinobi.

"You... You want me to capture her?"

"Yep, that's right. She'll make the perfect meal for father."

Adam didn't feel right about capturing an innocent girl but he had no choice. With his mother's life always put at risk, he was forced to always carry out Damien and Mikon's bidding.

"But... Why can't we capture the woman over there?"

"Because my father wants the blood of a young girl! Besides, I'll dispose of that tramp and her two little errand boys myself. Now, hurry! This is our chance! Do not let us down!"

With that, Mikon cloaked herself with her wings and dispersed into a horde of bats. Adam phased completely out of sight and moved ahead to carry out his mission.

-

Kurenai sprang forward and knocked the undead ninja back with a flying kick. As he fell back, the woman grabbed the back of his head and prepared to slit his throat with her kunai.

"Now, tell us who you're working for?"

"N...Never!"

Kurenai sighed. "Fine then. Have it your way."

Before she was inches away from slitting the shinobi's throat, the horde of bats came out of nowhere and covered Kurenai. The woman was caught off guard and was forced to roll away. She glanced forward as the bat horde fused together and formed the body of a woman. Mikon appeared before Kurenai with a sly grin on her face.

"Hello there, shinobi from Konohagakure. Welcome to the Darkness Country. I am the land's beautiful mistress, Mikon," the lady bowed slightly. "I take it you've been introduced to our servants."

"Darkness Country? But these men aren't even from the Yamigakure! The symbol of this land should be the owl!" Kurenai spat out.

Mikon smiled and picked the ninja up by his feet. "Yes, yes, you're partially right. You see... We had done a little renovating to this land about seven years ago. The owl was the former symbol of this precious land but now we decided to change our image so to speak. So, now the bat has become our official new symbol."

That was when Kurenai realized it. "So, you were the ones who destroyed Yamigakure!"

"You're catching on. Wow, you're such a fast learner. You did your research well but you didn't know we'd be the undead," Mikon smirked. "Heh, funny how an undead woman like me turned out to be more beautiful than you mortal women will ever hope to be."

"Kurenai-sensei!" Hinata called out. "Are you all right?!"

Glancing over to her right side, Kurenai found Hinata racing toward her. Kiba and Shino were still fighting off the other shinobi.

"Hinata! Stay back!" the Jounin called out in warning. "This is not your fight to get involved in!"

Mikon noticed Hinata from the corner of her eye and smiled. "Well, looks like we've got fresh meat waiting to be lined up."

Blitzing in front of Hinata, Kurenai stood firm and ready to protect the young Genin. "You stay away from her. Your opponent is me!"

"Sure but I doubt you'll even last long with me."

"I'm a Jounin! Don't overlook me."

"Oh is that right? I'm a Jounin-level myself. This should be interesting," Mikon smirked, stepping into an odd Judo-like stance. "Oh, I almost forgot."

Without warning, Mikon grabbed the shinobi servant and snapped his neck with her hands. Then, she ripped the head right off the shinobi's body and held it like a prized possession. "I forgot that I had no use for a failure!"

Hinata gasped and covered her eyes. Watching this act by the mistress made Kurenai thoroughly disgusted.

"Killing your own henchman? You didn't even give him a chance..."

"Who are you to criticize, tramp?" Mikon hissed at the Jounin. "We're all shinobi, aren't we? We treat our fellow shinobi like weapons and nothing more. He outlived his usefulness."

"I'll take you myself..."

"Sure but um... there's just one small problem. You shouldn't leave your student so far open behind you like that. Cause, anything can happen that will catch ya off guard. Like... RIGHT NOW!!"

With that, Hinata felt a powerful gust rush past her and was being lifted right off her feet. She gasped and screamed as Adam flew up with onto a tree branch with the 'meal' Damien had asked for. Kurenai glanced up in utter horror. Kiba, Akamaru and Shino immediately stopped fighting as they looked up at Adam with Hinata held captive.

"HINATA!!" everyone, but the dark shinobi and Mikon, cried out.

"Let her go!" Kurenai demanded, looking up at Adam holding Hinata hostage.

"I'm sorry... but... I have no choice..." Adam sighed sadly, holding Hinata captive. "Forgive me, Ms. Hinata..."

"What?" the white-eyed Genin gasped in shock.

Kurenai had seen enough and jumped out at Adam to attack him. "Let Hinata go!"

Before her kunai could hit its mark, Adam faded out with Hinata. The Jounin gasped and landed on the tree branch feeling anger and regret. "No! Hinata, I'm sorry!"

"Awww, isn't that a shame? Losing your precious student must be heart-breaking but from this point on she will serve nothing more than a meal for my father!"

One by one, each of the Night Walker shinobi disappeared as puffs of black smoke. Kiba, Shino and Kurenai took the chance to attack Mikon head on simultaneously.

"You're going to regret doing that, you witch!" Kiba exclaimed, his eyes angrily fueling.

Shino reached out to grab the mistress and make her pay for the crime she had perpetrated.

Kurenai lunged out and performed a series of hand seals. "Get back, Shino and Kiba! I've got her! MAGEN: JUBAKU SATSU!! Demonic Illusion: Tree Bind Death!" In an instant, the Jounin vanished out of thin air and left Mikon completely off guard. Then, a tree formed from out of the ground with branches protruded out to completely bind Mikon. However, Mikon did not even seemed worry about the predicament she was in.

"Hmmm, a nice trick if you were going to use it against someone who doesn't know the tricks of illusions. Unfortunately, I'm a user of the illusion techniques myself and therefore can cancel it out. So, in truth, you haven't really captured me..."

As she said that, Mikon stopped, thereby disrupting, the flow of her own chakra and cancelled Kurenai's genjutsu. "GENJUTSU KAI!! Illusion Technique Cancel!"

Therefore, Mikon freed herself from the tree binding and crossed her arms. "What did I tell you? I'm rather good with dispelling genjutsu. Nice try though."

Kurenai jumped out of her tree illusion and sprang forward to attack. However, Mikon quickly dropped down and delivered a swift uppercut fist into Kurenai's jaw. "KOUMORI-KEN!! Bat Fist!"

As Kurenai was sent flying up, she was sent dropping to the ground. Kiba, Akamaru and Shino raced forward to stop Mikon. Lifting her head up, the Jounin glanced toward Mikon angrily. "Damn it..."

"I've grown bored of this. I have other matters to attend to but I'm sure we'll play again sometime, children," Mikon chuckled, licking her lips. "My accomplice will be taking your pretty little friend to my father. So, I'll be there to watch him enjoy this meal! Until then, ta-ta!"

As she said that, Mikon dispersed into a horde of bats and they immediately took off into the dark forest. The Genin boys stopped as they dropped to their knees. They had failed to stop Mikon and couldn't save Hinata. However, it was Kurenai was the most heartbroken. She was the one who vowed to care for Hinata since taking her into her team.

"Hinata... I'm sorry... I will get you back no matter what it takes!" Kurenai muttered, clenching her right hand. "That bitch had better not do anything to her or she will regret it!"

"Akamaru? Let's go. I can pick up on their scents," Kiba stated, glancing toward the forest. "No matter where she goes, we'll still follow her ugly stench."

"Ruff!" the dog responded.

Shino nodded in agreement. "But, 'how far' is the question..."

"Kiba, Shino and Akamaru! We're heading out now! No matter what it takes, we're taking Hinata back!" the Jounin ordered.

"Right!" they called out in unison.

With that, the remaining members of Team Kurenai sprang forth toward the dark forest and began their rescue mission to save Hinata before Adam takes her to Damien's lair.


Southeastern Area/Darkness Country

Standing over the defeated corpses of the undead shinobi, Neji, Tenten and Gai watched as they disappeared as puffs of black smoke. They had done their job of wearing down the Konoha shinobi.

"Well, so much for them. They're retreating?" Tenten wondered. "Darn and just when I was having some fun."

"Odd that they've suddenly retreated," Neji pointed out.

Gai rubbed his chin and grinned. "At least we managed to drive them off. Now, we should be getting some rest..."

Just as he said that, Neji abruptly froze in place and felt his heart suddenly stop cold for a moment. He suddenly visualized Hinata and glanced toward the forest. "Hinata?!"

Tenten glanced at the Hyuuga male with concern. "Uh, Neji? Are you okay?"

"It's Hinata! She's in danger!" Neji exclaimed. "Gai-sensei, we did meet with Team Kurenai during our mission."

"Yes, we did and I recall Kurenai telling me that they were taking a route through this same land. They couldn't be too far from where we are at."

Neji frowned and raced toward the dark forest. "Then, I'm going for Hinata!"

"Neji, wait!" Tenten called out. "Gai-sensei? You think she could be in danger?"

"I don't know but the shinobi we've just beaten had suddenly retreated for an odd reason. Something fishy is going on here and something tells me these shinobi have something to do with it. Neji, wait!"

As Gai went after Neji in the forest, Tenten sighed and rubbed her forehead. "Hoo, boy. This is going to be a long night." She followed her sensei and teammate in the forest apparently to save Hinata.

-

Pouncing across the tree branches, Neji was now on hot pursuit to find his cousin. "If I find out those shinobi bastards are behind this, I'll take them apart myself! Hinata, I'm coming!"

(Fade to Black)

End of act


Next Time

Rescue Hinata! Team Kakashi Spring to Action!


And it ends with suspense! Hinata's been captured and apparently looks like she may become a Damien's first meal in many years. However, who knows if he'll turn her into a vampire. At least, she won't the shy and not-so-innocent girl anymore. We'll see.

I know Naruto and company didn't get much story here but at least we got to see the other teams in action. This was my first time to actually write all-out Naruto fights. How did I do?

Anyway, the story has progressed and the race is on to save Hinata. Can they save her in time? Plus, Team Kakashi become aware of some commotion and spring to action. And it will be a matter of time before Adam meets with Naruto's group. There just might be more action in the next chapter if I put a little more effort. :D

That's all for this chapter. I'll be working on Sailor Moon: Galaxy Stars next.

Drop me a review. Peace, I'm outta here!