Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Protector ❯ Leaving ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Protector
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, and I don't own Naruto… I mourn that fact. Though I am planning to get some of the manga for Naruto…
 
Chapter 1
 
She stared into the dancing flames of the hut-fire, refusing to look them in the eye. “If I go, I-I might never be able to come back…” Only after that quiet admission did she look up at her friends. Her eyes were wide and sad.
“I know, Kagome-Chan…” The young demon-slayer said soothingly, her brown eyes holding a type of sorrowful compassion as she hugged the younger girl. “But this might be best. You are the only one who even has a chance of defeating him.”
Then the black haired man spoke up. “You might also be safer in a place where Inuyasha cannot reach you.”
Kagome closed her deep blue eyes and bowed her head, a few tears slipping down her cheeks. “I still can't believe he could change so much… I thought he was my friend!” Her fists clenched, the tears falling harder now. “I loved him!”
“I know… But he has changed, and you are in danger!” The demon-slayer exclaimed. Then, pushing some of her black hair behind her ear, her voice softened. “Kagome, you're like a sister to me, and I can't stand the thought of you getting hurt! It's almost as hard to send you off like this; to what might possibly even be an alternate dimension, but at least then I… We… know you have a chance.”
“Oh, Sango… I'm so scared! I know that you and Miroku can't protect me from Inuyasha, but I won't have anyone to protect me from anything there! And the fact that Naraku will also be there!” She hugged herself, crying. Then she continued in a small, pathetic sounding voice. “I wish Sesshou was here…”
“So do we…” Miroku's voice was grim. He slowly rose to his feet, his long purple monk's robes rustling, and reached out to grab his Monk's staff. He stared down at it for a few moments before looking up and locking eyes with Kagome, who had looked up out of surprise. His voice was soft, almost wistful. “It was sworn, in my grandfather's time, that it would be this staff that brought about the death of the vermin, Naraku. I still wish it to be so… This staff has some protective spells ingrained in the wood that should help you where we cannot.” He strode over to her and pulled her to her feet, firmly clasping his hands around hers, curling her fingers around the wooden staff. He pulled her to the door and gently pushed her out of it. “Now go, Kagome, and be safe! Good luck to you, my friend…”
“But Miroku…”
“I no longer need it! Now that Naraku is gone, I plan to settle down with my lovely Sango and start a family.” He smiled softly. “I can always make another anyway! Now GO!”
“Sango…”
“No Kagome, you must leave! Now! Every moment wasted is another moment that Inuyasha” She spat the word out as if it left a bad taste in her mouth as she strapped the giant bone boomerang onto the blue eyed girl's back. “Can use to find out our plans! You must go! Learn to use this weapon, even if you must teach yourself. And don't ever forget that we love you…”
“Oh Kami, Sango.” Kagome chocked out through her tears. “No, I promise I will never forget you… Either of you! I love you both!” With that she turned and ran, tears streaming down her face and mingling with her thick raven black hair, the boomerang strapped to her back. She clutched the staff close to her heart as if it was a lifeline and she would die without it.
She had just made it to the clearing that held the old, dry well when she heard a low growling from a tree off to her right. In a rush of fear her head snapped up and her blue eyes locked with gold. These were not the gold eyes that she remembered, the ones that held illconcield warmth, the ones that she wanted to see. No, these eyes were filled with hatred and a murderous rage; they were eyes that came strait from her nightmares.
For a breathless moment neither girl nor silver haired demon moved. Then his growling ceased and his lips drew into a cruel smirk. “You really think you can escape that easily?” He questioned, and in a frenzy of red fire-rat robes and silver hair jumped down from the tree he had been perched on. “Well, I can guarantee that you won't!” Then he leapt at her, claws extended for a fatal assault. She just barely was able to beat him away with Miroku's staff. It was a move that surprised both him and her.
“Inuyasha! Why are you doing this?” She cried as she took up a basic defensive position with the staff help up in front of her. She knew that had it not been for the spells geared towards protection that had been cast on the staff she would not still be standing. Although Miroku had given her a basic training in the art of using the staff as a weapon, she knew that she was not good enough to defend against someone as strong as her former protector, Inuyasha. She started to back up towards the well.
“I promised Kikyou that I would get her soul back for her!” Inuyasha snarled, attacking her again. “You will never be anymore than a pale copy of her. She deserves to live more than you do!”
“No, Inuyasha! You don't understand!” she blocked each attempt at her dismemberment with the Monk's staff. With each blow she was pushed back further to the well. She was surprised that she had lasted this long; she only had to last for a few more seconds. “When she died, she lost all rights to whatever soul was ever hers! And I'm not her reincarnation!”
“YES YOU ARE!” The demon howled. Inuyasha's eyes had gone from his normal golden yellow to a deep crimson red. Just at that moment, as he was preparing to perform an attack that she was sure she would not be able to hold up against, her heel bumped into the cold stones that made up the sides of the well. When the demon realized just where his victim was he roared in fury; that was exactly where he didn't want her to be. He lunged for her at the exact same moment that she jumped onto the lip of the well and over. He managed to catch her arm before it disappeared down the well. His claws were digging painfully into her arm. In a moment of desperation she grasped his red clad arm and yanked her other arm down, allowing herself to fall free once again. His claws left long gashes that oozed bright red blood as they raked across her bare flesh. She screamed at the pain as a flash of bloody red consumed her. Wherever she was going was definitely not home. For once she was glad.
When she finally landed softly on the other side, after what seemed like a much longer journey, she hugged her arm to her body and took in a shaky breath before looking up to be sure that there was no Inuyasha leering down at her. She let out a sigh in relief when all she saw was a cloudless blue sky. She quickly scampered up the side of the well, she had gotten pretty good at it with all the practice she got, and collapsed down on the soft grass that was growing around it. Her arm was practically screaming in pain now. She concentrated and tried to heal it using her Miko powers, but found that she was too exhausted, her normal reserved were depleted and she did not want to break into her emergency ones. She didn't know what she would run into or when she might have to defend herself.
With a pained sigh, she resigned herself to the fact that she would have to deal with the pain. She would also have to find a village soon though; she knew that if she did not she might very well die of blood loss. Slowly rising to her feet she set off in a measured walk in a random direction. She could only pray that she would come across someone soon. And that they were friendly. She did, after all, have a horrible sense of direction.
 
 
AN: This title, like so many of my other stories, is only the best that I can find at the moment. If I find a better title, it will change… Though I have come to notice that the titles always end up growing on me! ^_^ You will also notice that the chapter is not that long, but I thought it was just a good place to stop… Hope you don't mind.
This is just a minor point, but does anyone know what color Kagome's eyes really are? Most of the time I read about either brown or blue… I won't really make a difference for the story, because for my own purposes I need to make them blue. But I would like to know, just of curiosity's sake.
Last of all, I would greatly appreciate if you would review! I really need the constructive criticism…