Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Puzzle Called War ❯ Game Plan ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I was running. That man, he was slipping away from me. I was sure it was him this time, positive. I got a glimpse of him in the little shop I was in through the window. He was running from me, so it had to be him. I wouldn't dare speak his name. The whole he left me clinging on was tearing apart. What if I dropped when I uttered his name? So I just chased him. It felt like hours. He then started to slow down. I took my chances.
 
“SASUKE!!” I yelled out to him, and he came to stop. I skidded and fell face first onto the grass. I pushed myself up immediately as he turned around. There he was, the ghost I always chased in my mind.
 
“Sakura…” He whispered, his eyes widening. My face froze. I was too shocked to say anything. I thought if I did, my miracle before me would disappear. Could this be real? Or could I be dead now?
 
My eyes started to sting, and unfamiliar feeling welled up inside me. They felt so alien to me because I haven't felt so alive in such a long time. He kept staring at me, and something fell from my eyes.
 
“O-Oh no! What's wrong with me?” I cried, becoming frightened. Was I dying?! “I'm dying, aren't I? What is this?!”
 
“Sakura, you're crying.” Sasuke stated. I was purely shocked. Crying? It's been forever since I've cried. I barely have any memories of crying. Except for after that fateful day…I cried so hard. Then the next day, I never knew what crying was. I started getting hysterical. He was disappearing!
 
“W-Wait!” I called, but he vanished.
 
I sat up, gasping for air. What? I was dreaming again. It was the same nightmare, like every other night. I wonder when they will end, and my serious façade will disappear. I haven't laughed in so long. It was like the humor evaporated from me. I slid out of bed, and a knock was heard from my door.
 
“What?” I asked by the door, being rude. I guess that's one of my traits that decided to stick around.
 
“It's me,” Ino declared sighing. I unlocked door and watched as she let herself in. She does this every morning just to check in on me. “Good morning.”
 
“Yea,” I replied, sitting on the couch. I stared up at her waiting. “Well?”
 
“I'm just here for the usual reason, of course.” Ino answered looking around. “Change your clothes. We're going out today. I have news for you, my friend.”
 
“…What kind of news?” I asked after a while.
 
“Something that will spark your interest for sure. Now hurry up!” Ino stalled, pushing me into the bathroom. I scowled at her before closing the door. Her usual news is usually about some new boy she met the other day or whatever. I really don't care about that at all.
---
 
“Will you just cut the to the shit so I can go home?” I asked, being rude again. We've been here for fifteen minutes and she hasn't said anything yet.
 
“Sakura, this is really serious. I found out about it from the Hokage,” Ino reported, leaning in closer. I leaned too, thinking it was a secret. “Don't get mad, okay?”
 
“Yea, yea. Just hurry and tell me!” I complained. She rolled her eyes at me.
 
“Okay, but I warned you. S-Sasuke…killed Orochimaru and his brother not too long ago. He's with the Akatsuki now.” Ino said, flying back into her seat far from me. She probably thought I would explode or something.
 
“Good.” I said calmly. “Two less people out my way.”
 
“You're not mad at me for mentioning his name?” Ino asked slowing coming forward. I shook my head. She sighed in relief and sat up straight.
 
“Do you know his location?” I asked, eager to know more. Ino smiled.
 
“He's going after the eight-tailed demon. So that means he's headed for the village hidden in the clouds.” Ino said. I abruptly got up from my seat.
 
“I'll be at the Hokage's office.” I said, walking off.
 
“Wait! Sakura!” Ino called, but I ignored her. This is my chance.
---
 
“You can't go.” Tsunade said immediately. I glared at her.
 
“Why not?!” I asked, feeling betrayed. She knows how much I want this and yet she tells me no!
 
“It's too dangerous Sakura. You're one of the best ninja I've got here, and I can't risk putting you out there like that!” Tsunade clarified, her voice final. But I was not ending the conversation.
 
“I can make it there just fine!” I argued. “Don't you trust me if I'm one of your best?!”
 
“I do trust you! But it's not safe, I said. Sasuke is going to be out there with a team of ninja created by Orochimaru! Plus, the ninja in that village will attack you because we are not friendly with them nor allies!” Tsunade argued back.
 
“Well, woopty fuckin' do!” I yelled throwing my arms in the air. Tsunade looked shocked. “Just let me be there! You know what this means to me! I need this lead master!”
 
“Sakura, I said no.” Tsunade said quietly. That did it.
 
“Why can't you understand?! Why won't you let me do this?! Don't you get already?! This is what I've been living for! This is all I've been clinging to for life!!” I roared, scaring the other workers in there and Tsunade. I haven't had an outburst since…that fateful day.
 
“Then at least wait a few days-” Tsunade started. I hissed.
 
“No!” I shrieked, pounding my fist on the table full of chakra. I broke in half. “I'm leaving tonight, and that's final!”
 
I didn't hear whether she replied or not. I just walked out and headed down the steps. Naruto passed by me with a worried face.
 
“S-Sakura? What's wrong?” He asked putting a hand on my shoulder. I shook it off and stalked to my house. This was my only lead to him, and I needed it.
 
I started packing my things while annoying knocks came from my door. I ignored them and kept looking around for random things to throw in my duffle bag. Weapons were next on my mind. I knew this was dangerous, and I need everything I had to get there.
 
BANG!
 
It sounded as if my door was knocked down. I walked into the hallway, and indeed it was. Naruto was standing there, looking shocked at what he did. I glared at him for the damage, and for bothering me.
 
“What do you want?” I hissed as he stepped over the door and walked up to me. He grabbed my shoulders and stared into my dead eyes.
 
“You can't go alone Sakura! Let me help you!” Naruto exclaimed. My eyes narrowed. He already knew my answer, and he'd asked me this like all those years ago. I gave him a fierce snarl. I'm fine on my own.
 
“Leave me.” I said pointing toward the broken doorway. He glared at me and planted his feet where he stood. I shrugged and walked back into my room to finish off the packing. He wasn't going to follow me, and he wasn't going to stop me. I knew this for a fact.
 
“Why don't you want people to help you anymore and shut them out?!” Naruto demanded. I spun around and gave him a deadly look. So he was going to rewind back to all those years ago, huh?
 
“Naruto,” I started calmly, but with venom. “Think of my life as a hallway with a whole bunch of doors. There are two doors open- yours and his. His door is slowly closing and I'm running at the chance to squeeze through it. Your door is wide open, and I won't take my chances of being shut out when I try to get in. Leave. Me.”
 
“I swear to you it won't get shut in your face! Do you know how long I've been waiting for you to come in?!” Naruto yelled, getting desperate. I flexed my jaw and blinked slowly. The words came out in a whisper.
 
“I know what I'm doing, I want this. You'll never get it because you're you. You're happy as you are. I'm never going to be happy without him. I have to find him. And of course we'll fight, but I'll be okay. I promise to come back but please…let me go.” I whispered, picking up my bag. I touched his shoulder on the way out. “Take care.”
 
I stepped on my door and walked away. I didn't dare turn around to look, but I knew he was still standing there in my room. My promise was true though. I will come back because after all, I'm one of the best assassins on the special ANBU squad. I know the dangers, and I can face them head on.
 
---Other POV
 
I was sitting on top of his desk while he went through those boring papers again. It was silent, except for outside the window. A whole bunch of girls were lined up outside waiting for him to finish up and come out. They'd follow him until he made it home, and stand out there for a few hours. They were rabid fangirls, and they were pretty scary. I frowned. Poor saps. He'd never fall for any of them.
 
“When are you gonna finish up?” I asked impatiently. He looked up at me and rolled his eyes. I groaned and purposely fell of the desk for exasperation. “Hurry up, will ya? It's so boring!”
 
“You don't need to stick around every day in the office. Why don't you go out or stay with Temari?” Gaara replied going back to the papers. “This is the last one.”
 
He made one final stroke with his brush and stacked the papers into one pile. I jumped onto my feet and we both walked down the steps. Kankuro was already waiting.
 
“Ah, Zakura, what are you still doing here? Isn't it boring to just sit there everyday?” Kankuro asked. I shrugged.
 
“Don't worry. We can hang out all tomorrow and tonight. I'm not doing this again tomorrow.” I said. The idea of being quiet and watching boring things for another day could possibly kill me. “When will be visiting Konoha again? It's been a while.”
 
“It's only been a few weeks…” Kankuro muttered looking away. A few weeks ago were the incident with the Akatsuki. No one wants to remember, especially me. I remember that last time bitterly.
 
FLASHBACK-
 
“Baki, what happened to Gaara?!” I demanded. He just stepped in and I saw no sign of Gaara coming after. “Baki!”
 
“They…have captured him Zakura. He's been taken by the man that attacked us.” Baki answered quietly. My mouth hung open and tears spilled down automatically.
 
“NO…!” I screamed through tears and ran out the door. I have to save him. I've got to. What if he dies? How will I survive?!
---
 
Almost have the village ninja came running with me to save Gaara. I heard that a few Leaf-nin had come to help. At the scene, I watched Chiyo die from saving Gaara. He slowly sat up, with the help of Naruto. He looked around, surprised to see everyone there. His eyes stopped on me. I stared and walked up to him until I couldn't feel my legs anymore.
 
“Gaara…” I whispered. I dropped to my knees and had a breakdown. I cried uncontrollably on his chest and kept saying his name over and over. It was embarrassing, but I did it anyway. He put one arm around me and used his other hand to hold himself up.
 
END FLASHBACK-
 
“So…what are we gonna do about the rabid fan girls?” I asked, changing the subject. They shrugged. “Let's just make a clean run for it, kay?”
 
“Good plan.” Kankuro agreed. We snuck onto the roof and got a good view of all the crazy girls. I noticed the girl in the front- Matsuri. God I hated her with passion. She always tried to push me away to get too Gaara. Push ME?! Is that bitch crazy?!
 
“Okay, forget clean. I gotta do this.” I said taking out a kunai. I threw it right at Matsuri it chopped off a chunk of her already short hair. She screamed in terror.
 
“Let's go!” Kankuro whispered jumping onto the next roof. We followed behind him and ran for the house. Temari was already waiting with the door open.
 
“You're evil, you know that?” Temari smiled. I grinned back at her. She was just as evil as I was. Maybe even scarier…
 
“I'm changing my clothes.” Gaara said heading for the steps. I skipped along behind him.
 
“I'll watch!” I added, fantasizing about what I'd see. Temari caught my wrist.
 
“No you're not!” Temari shrieked yanking me back down the stairs. I pouted and crossed my arms.
 
“Party pooper.” I muttered, looking away childishly. Did I forget to mention I age now? I'm still fifteen now, but next year I can turn sixteen! YAY!!! “I'm going to Konoha!”
 
“W-What?! We saw them a few weeks ago!” Temari exclaimed. I gave her the puppy dog eyes. “No! I am NOT coming with you!”
 
“Please? You can see your precious Shikamaru!” I bribed. I knew she had a thing with the lazy fool, and that was her weakness. Her eyes twitched.
 
“Fine.” She gave in. Gaara glided down the steps and came behind me.
 
“Where are you going?” He asked. I turned around and hugged him. He put his one arm around me like before and leaned his head against mine. “Well?”
 
“I'm going to Konoha to visit some friends with Temari. I won't be long, so don't die again while I'm away, got it?” I informed him. He nodded. I went on my toes to kiss him and waved goodbye.
 
“Be safe!” Kankuro called after us. I waved him off and followed Temari to the gates.
 
---Naruto POV
 
I'm sitting on the roof of my apartment again, and listening to the music box Zakura gave me. Maybe Shikamaru has rubbed off on me. I chuckled to myself.
 
“Naruto?” I heard a voice ask. I looked down and saw Hinata staring up at me. I gestured for her to come up. “What are you doing up here?”
 
“What are you doing down there?” I countered. I didn't mean it to sound rude, but she looked away and blushed. I smiled and nudged her. “Kidding.”
 
“Do you want to go for a walk?” Hinata asked. I nodded and put the music box in my pocket. My headband was off, and my jacket was tied around my waist. “Actually, can we stop at my house first? Neji and Lee are practicing, and I promised to buy tea.”
 
Two bags were in her hands. I nodded and took the bags from her. We walked in silence and made it to the Hyuga residence. I could hear them both fighting, and a girl giggling. Probably Tenten, I guessed.
 
“Hanabi, can you help me?” Hinata called. Her little sister popped up from a room, and smiled. “Naruto, you can sit out there. Neji, Lee, and Tenten are out there.”
 
“Sure,” I replied. I sauntered to wherever she told me to go and plopped down next to Tenten. “Hey Tenten.”
 
“Oh, hey Naruto!” Tenten greeted. She turned her attention back to the boys practicing. I watched them to with disinterest. After a few minutes, Hinata came out with tea and dumplings.
 
“Neji, Lee! Hinata made tea!” Tenten yelled. The two stopped and ran over to us. They finally seemed to notice me.
 
“Naruto, what are you doing here?” Neji asked taking a sip of his tea. I shrugged.
 
“Hinata was passing by, and asked if I wanted to join. There was nothing better to do anyway…” I answered.
 
“Do you want to train with?! The flames of youth call out your name!” Lee asked throwing a punch into the air. I rolled my eyes and untied my jacket. Underneath was a white wife beater. (A/N: why is it called a wife beater?)
 
“Why not?” I muttered standing up. We walked to the middle of the dirt and crouched into fighting stances. Our fight seemed to last for about an hour because the sky was a light gray. We bowed in front of each other and ran back to the others.
 
“That was pretty good!” Tenten exclaimed. Lee nodded. “Hinata, you want to spar with me?”
 
“Yea, okay!” Hinata said with eagerness. I took two dumplings and tea, ready to watch the two. I was kinda sweaty and tired, so I lay on my back. I was totally ready to watch, but then I realized I was tired enough to sleep. I put an arm over my eyes and sighed.
 
“What's wrong?” Neji asked. I peeked under my arm to see Lee and Neji staring at me. I waved them off with my other hand.
 
“I'm tired. Quiet,” Was what I managed to say before falling asleep. My sleep was dreamless, until I felt an ice-cold hand tap my shoulder. It made me jerk up from my position.
 
“Where's the fire?!” I yelled, disorientated. Everyone laughed at me. I looked around still confused and realized I was still at Hinata's house, and it was nightfall. I sighed and bowed my head in embarrassment.
 
“It's getting late, and everyone is heading out. Come one Naruto!” Lee exclaimed snatching my arm and yanking me onto my feet. I grumbled and picked up my jacket.
 
“I'll walk you home,” Hinata volunteered. I shrugged as she jogged to catch up to me. We walked slowly, and the conversation began.
 
“I…heard about Sakura leaving.” Hinata whispered, looking up for my reaction. I shut my eyes lightly and turned my head away. I didn't want to see the pity in her eyes, and I certainly didn't want comforting words.
 
“What about it?” I sighed. I don't know why I let the conversation keep going, but the words just came out. Hinata paused for a minute until I turned my head back.
 
“I know you probably already heard this before but…you should leave her alone. Maybe the only way she can figure herself out is by confronting Sasuke, It's his fault she's changed.” Hinata mumbled. That did it.
 
“Oh right, and leave her all by herself?” I roared throwing my hands in the air. Hinata did not flinch. She stopped walking and stared at me with blank eyes.
 
“You know I'm right. Two years ago, you did all you could. Even Sakura came by and made it clear that she was going after him. Why the surprise?” Hinata said. “She's doing her part, and yours is over. Please Naruto, I'm begging. You'll hurt yourself even more trying to force understanding…”
 
I stared at her in complete shock. How did she know these things happened? How did she suddenly become wise of the situation? It felt as if I was out of the loop everyone else was in. Everyone was against me.
 
“Why don't you understand my situation?” I asked, shutting my eyes again and looking away. I heard her soft footsteps and felt two warm hands on my chest.
 
“I do! Honestly, I do. I know you want to help her, and bring her back to the old Sakura everyone knew. I know! But…this is something that is up to Sakura. It's up to her whether she wants to change, and what she thinks will help. If she thinks Sasuke can do it, that's her.” Hinata stated. I looked into her pale eyes and shook my head.
 
“That won't work. It never will, I know it for sure. She doesn't get it, and I won't give up.” I countered. Hinata clutched my shirt and looked down shaking.
 
“You remember when you were fighting with Sakura in the forest two years ago. She told me the whole conversation Naruto. It was you who gave up, you said it yourself. You accepted it, and now this? Sakura moved on, why not you?” Hinata questioned me, her voice cracking.
 
“…You know me better than that Hinata. I can't give up that easily. I'm sorry!” I pushed her away and ran for my apartment. I know what I said probably hurt her feelings, but it was true. How could I give up, even if I said those things? Does that make me a traitor of my own words? I can't…back down…can I?
 
---Hinata POV
 
I kicked off my shoes and spun on my heels. I knew where his room was, and I went straight for it. I didn't even bother knocking. I knew he was awake. He was always up meditating for hours anyway. I stepped in quietly and shut the door behind me. His eyes opened.
 
“Hinata?” Neji asked. My eyes were stinging, and traitor tears fell. I could feel my lips trembling, and cheeks growing hot. He blinked at my appearance. “What is it?”
 
“Neji!” I cried, running and embracing him tightly. I sobbed uncontrollably while he stroked my hair. I'd never do this with my father because he'd never accept it. He wouldn't want his daughter crying to him. To him it was a sign of weakness. I stopped after what seemed like hours.
 
“He didn't listen?” Neji asked quietly. I shook my head and hugged him tighter. He patted my head lightly and gently pulled me off of him. I watched him disappear into his private bathroom and come back with a box of tissues.
 
“Here,” Neji said, handing me a tissue. I took it gratefully and wiped away tears. After, I finally noticed what he was wearing. His hair was out, and he was shirtless.
 
“Oh, Neji! I'm keeping you from sleep, aren't I? I'm sorry!” I realized, jumping from my spot on the bed. He smiled.
 
“Don't worry about it. Nothing is going on tomorrow anyway. You should get some sleep though. It will take your mind off things.” Neji suggested. I nodded and walked to the door.
 
“Thank you Neji, and sorry for troubling you. You're the only one I can come to.” I slid the door shut behind me.
 
I knew the truth. Sleeping wouldn't take my mind off things. It would just delay my time of grief. Naruto is as stubborn as a mule. He'd never listen to reason because he's stuck with his ways. I hate to see him hurt like this. Doesn't he realize what he thinks is best for Sakura will ruin him? He has to understand the situation. I must make him do so!