Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Puzzle Called War ❯ Blitz Begins ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

YAY!! I'm going to start writing the war now, WOOH!! I guess you can say this is when it gets gory, and people start turning into psychos. And I'm not gonna tell you who is, or isn't! XD Anyway, this war might take up some chapters, and people might be killed left and right SO BE WARNED! Here you are…
 
`Just because everything's changing, doesn't mean it's never been this way before… All you can do is try to know who your friends are as you head off to the war. Pick a star on the dark horizon, and follow the light! You'll come back when it's over. No need to say goodbye. You'll come back when it's over…No need to say goodbye…' -Regina Spektor [The Call]
I'll never forget this war. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever…
 
FLASHBACK
 
The march of the enemy stopped when they noticed me standing there like an easy target. Their faces looked suspicious, unsure of how to proceed with me in their way. They probably thought I was a strong foe if the village just left me to stand there. I saw doubt on some of their faces. They probably thought I was weak, and just a distraction for the inevitable. I'll admit, part of that was true. Indeed, I was a distraction. The line of Sound and Lightening ninja stared at me in further confusion. It was easy to read their thoughts from the expressions on their faces.
 
What is she wearing?
 
I had on the same Akatsuki outfit that Naruto and I customized. But there were some new additions to my clothes. Firstly, I had a black veil over my face. Secondly, there was an open bible in my hand to the page where the priest would read the wedding vows. From a glance, it could be a look of innocence. I held the bible in my left hand, and my right hand was raised like I was swearing the truth in court. I started murmuring a few passages that were in front of me, just like a wedding. For a second, I wondered why I was wearing wedding attire. It was obviously a funeral.
 
“And by the power invested in me,” I said aloud so they could hear me. “I now pronounce you massacred and corpses. You may now kiss my ass.”
 
And the slaughter began. I watched them run at me, but I was calm. The fireworks started taking effect. Limbs, clothes, and sparks of fire flew into the air. We had already planted grenades with timers that would go off once I finished talking. Blood splattered everywhere possible. I ignored the burning urge on my arms and watched the opponent, or what was left. Soon it was just high pillars of black smoke in the air. I pulled off the veil, which was now a bright red. It was silent on the other side of the smoke. I assumed their first line was ordered to go ahead of the rest to scout the area. It was an obvious failure.
 
“You feel that, Sakura? In the air.” Naruto said in the speaker. I closed my eyes and tried to figure out what he was talking about. There were light shimmers in the air. A shuriken whizzed my face.
 
“Yeah, it's kunai and shuriken! Bring everyone out, got that? There's another round of fighters! The rest of them must be miles away. They're trying to weaken our front line of defenses!”
 
“What about the foxhole?”
 
“Tell a few to stay in there for sniper shots. We'll need them later for phase three.”
 
“Got it. See ya in a sec.”
 
Just when I spotted shadows coming up fast behind the pillars of smoke, Naruto and the rest of our huge squad ran up behind me. We got into defensive stances as Sound and Lightening ninja ran through the smoke with weapons ready. I charged at them first, going for the first guy I could grab. I punched him in the gut with chakra so he'd spin around. I jumped onto his shoulders and snapped his neck using a quick jerk with my hands. Blood sprayed from his mouth. I quickly hopped off him before he toppled and ran for my next victim.
 
 
 
“Dammit!” I growled, checking my watch in my pouch. It was almost sundown and we couldn't hold them off for too long. “We need to move out! The sun's about to go down, and they'll have advantage in the dark!”
 
“Shit! We should've bought more time while we had the damn chance!” Naruto hissed. I checked over the foxhole we were hidden in to see tons of dead bodies in red snow from both sides. Kunai was being thrown from all directions. I sat back down and looked at the handful on ninja we had left hiding deeper inside the hole.
 
“Alright, people! We're moving to phase three!” I shouted. We pushed the earth under ground with our chakra, placing paper bombs in a trail behind us. I went ahead of them and pushed up a small amount to look around and see how much area we covered. I held up my fist, signaling them stop. I looked up and saw the enemy ninja fighting against our front line.
 
I gave a low whistle; sounding like it was just the wind. An ally glanced at me while fighting, waiting for a command. I jabbed my pointer at him and then jerked my thumb back towards the forest. He nodded a fraction of an inch and yelled for the rest of his team to retreat. I waved the group behind me to follow my lead. We ran out of the new hole I created like bats out of hell, surprising the enemy. We ran toward the trees as they chased us. Naruto turned abruptly, causing them to stop with watchfulness. He made three quick hand signs, and the area before the forest shook like an earthquake.
 
“We got a distraction! Head to the gates! We can't let them get to the village!” Naruto shouted. They all ran ahead of us, Naruto and I watched the rear ends. “This is the time when Sasuke could make his appearance…!”
 
“We're doing fine! Worry later!” I said, running aside him. There was no assurance that he was really coming at all. He might just ditch us, after all. I touched the little speaker in my ear. “This is Sakura. Kakashi, do you read me?”
 
“Loud and clear. What's the problem?”
 
“We're retreating to the gates. Do you feel that pressure in the air? There's a storm coming, literally. The ninja from the village hidden in the clouds are using some kind of jutsu to brew up a storm. Watch for lightening, got it?”
 
“Yeah, I heard you. How'd it go with the front line, anyway?”
 
“A little rough, but for now it's going smooth. We just finished triggering our second round of bombs. They were deeper into the ground, so the enemy just fell into the giant crater it made.”
 
“Be on guard, Sakura. They might chase after you.”
 
“I know, but they'll head for the gates first. Just be ready. If they're really using lightening, it'll be worse in the dark. Tell them to start turning the overhead beams on. Hopefully, I'll see you in a few.”
 
“Good luck.”
 
“Yea.”
 
It would take at least fifteen minutes before we'd make it back to the gates. The Hokage and Kazekage were staying inside of the village, waiting for the big guns to appear. Zakura was forced to stay in the shelters with the rest of the villagers, but she still gave commands through her speaker from any updates our allies gave her. I checked my watch again and stared into the horizon. The sun was going down ever so slowly, and the skies were darkening. I prayed we'd get to the gates before sundown. Orochimaru would probably send out his stupid experimented ninja out next. There was no telling what they'd be like after all these years.
 
I started reminiscing about all the thoughts that raced through my mind as we all ran in the bloodied snow. What if I died somehow? No, there was no way I could die. Not yet, at least. There were so many things that I didn't get to accomplish yet. What if…! And then it went anonymous. Anything would happen, but what if…? I don't know. Who does? How could I go on without knowing what the future holds for me? Would I just will myself to die? Is that even possible? Maybe I was stupid after all. No, my survival so far proves I'm not stupid. I still wouldn't be alive in this war if I wasn't stupid.
 
“Shit, shit!” Naruto hissed, staring up at the sky as he ran. It was getting darker fast, the sun was barely visible on the horizon.
 
“Move it or lose it, people! Pick up the pace!” I ordered. We ran in diamond formation, Naruto in front and me in the back. I could feel my muscles pumping with exertion and my heart pounded against my ribcage.
 
Before I could dodge, a shuriken whizzed past my ear and gave me a small cut. I shrieked in anger and snatched a fist-sized rock from the ground. There was only one enemy ninja that was catching up to us fast. With a quick spin on my heel, I pivoted around fast enough with a powerful flick of my wrist. I watched the chakra encrusted rock fly straight into the ninja's forehead, leaving a huge dent. In the same moment, I spun back around and caught up quickly. I could see the gates up ahead and Naruto made two short whistles for the signal. The doors budged open enough for us to fit through. We hurried up the steps to the guard post.
 
“Kakashi!” I called, running up to him. He patted my shoulder in acknowledgment. “What's the status here?”
 
“It's pretty quiet so far. We saw some flashes in the distance, so get ready. I saw your little rock stunt from here, Sakura. That was repulsive.” Kakashi said. I waved off his last comment.
 
“Yes, yes, it was disgusting. Can we get back to business here?” Tsunade demanded. Gaara grunted in agreement beside her. I rolled my eyes. “What's coming up next?”
 
“Probably his mutant spawns. I'm imagining him coming last for the grand finale,” I assumed. “You know how showy those snakes can be.”
 
“Be serious, Sakura.” Gaara said. I stuck my tongue out at him.
 
“I'm 100% serious, mighty Kazekage.” I sneered. He merely glared and turned away.
 
“Ah, heads up.” Kakashi warned. We looked below the gates and noticed swarms of monster like creatures coming at us fast. I groaned; I hated being right most of the time.
 
Abruptly, I was pissed. No, beyond pissed. I was murderously outraged. It felt like seeing through a red haze, except the only red I saw were my new targets. The only thing I could focus on now was the kill, and that's it. I felt my lip pull back to bare my teeth. I had a small feeling that maybe everyone was right; I was mentally disturbed. But that didn't matter now. I was furious, and for all the same reasons like those years ago when I suffered for that one asshole. I would kill all these people today, making up for all the times I felt like killing Sasuke. Would that satisfy me? I wasn't sure. The only way I'd be satisfied is if I just killed him myself! Wait…
 
Did I just say I wanted to kill…Sasuke?
 
“Attack now!” Tsunade yelled, drowning out my inner voices. There was no time to think back on my thoughts. I was totally focused on my prey, like animal instincts taking over.
 
I didn't pay attention to any details or fancy footwork. I just grabbed whatever was in reaching distance and tore it off. I realized I was hearing nothing, like I had gone deaf. There was an annoying ringing in my ears that drowned out everything else. I ignored it and kept tearing away. Everything started to come back to me in a rush, and I started hearing clearly again.
 
“Sakura, watch out!” Naruto shouted, grabbing my arm and jerking me back. Lightening flashed right before the place I was just standing. “What the hell were you thinking?! Watch your surroundings!”
 
“I know that!” I snapped back. I snatched my arm away from him and started back pedaling on my heels. I saw a familiar face doing the same beside me.
 
“How'd your luck go in the front line?” Ichigo asked, panting. I dodged a kunai.
 
“The usual,” I answered, skidding to a stop. I pulled my fist back and gave a good swing to the ground. The earth shot up from my chakra and the rubble crumbled on the ninja chasing after us.
 
“Duck now, Sakura!” Kakashi commanded, chakra sizzling in his palm. As I bent down, he jumped on my back for leverage and sliced the lightening that came striking down in two.
 
“See, now that was just showing off.” Ichigo grumbled. Kakashi chuckled a bit before disappearing off to his next target.
 
“Ichigo, behind you!” I screeched, pointing quickly to the ninja sneaking behind him. A grin flashed on his face.
 
“Sneak attacks…” Ichigo started, picking up the ninja with his monster strength. He hurled him into a tree. “…Aren't fair!”
 
“What was that about showing off?” I teased.
… … … … … … … … … … … … END FLASHBACK
 
“There's too many of them! We should pull back!” Naruto suggested. The mutant ninja were coming in huge swarms now, bigger than our numbers at hand.
 
“We can't just let them waltz into the village! There has to be something else we can to pass the time. There's no way we can leave right now,” I disagreed. What else could we do anyway? Even if we went into the village, we'd still be fighting them.
 
“Look, they're retreating!” Ichigo yelled, pointing to them. It was true. They were retreating back like there was some kind of signal…but what?
 
“They aren't retreating. They're regrouping for another attack.” Kakashi informed us. “They'll probably be back in a few hours. For now, let's head back and report.”
 
“Are you sure?” I demanded. He shook his head solemnly.
 
“You can't ever be sure. It's war; anything can happen. But this is a chance we have to take, Sakura.” Kakashi said. I nodded and followed his lead grudgingly.
 
Everything was in tact so far as he passed the housing. More allies began to fall back to our original meeting place, the Hokage tower. Tsunade walked out with Gaara right when we all appeared before the tower. Her expression was grave; Gaara's emotionless. She gripped the railing of the balcony in anxiety. For a few moments everyone was silent, slightly glad that most of our friends survived. The Kages' eyes seemed to relax too, seeing how our numbers weren't as diminished as they had feared. Kakashi stepped up a few feet.
 
“Lady Tsunade, they have fallen back for now. I assume that they are regrouping for another attack in some far time. Your orders?” Kakashi reported.
 
“We'll watch and wait. For now, we'll stay put.” Tsunade ordered. “I want ANBU stationed around the perimeter, stat!”
 
I wondered how long they would actually hold back their forces until they came back to attack us again. We weren't even sure how big their numbers were, but I could take an estimate. It was probably more than ours, and they could demolish us in a second. But I knew Orochimaru better than that, and he wouldn't make it a quick killing. He would pick us off sickeningly slow and keep anyone he thought would prove to be valuable in the future. Except it wasn't even Orochimaru now, it was Kabuto with him combined into one disgusting body. We could probably win, but what the price? I imagined some people would betray us and be in league with the other side to survive.
 
And then there was Sasuke. Would he stick to his word and fight along side us? Did he even give me his word in the first place? He'd probably sit back and watch us burn in our own flames just so we'd be out of his way. He might not even come at all. What was the point of fighting off our enemies when he'd just kill us all after? It was official; there was no reassurance that he was actually coming. There were two things I had to do before I completely rotted away:
One, Orochimaru had to go down and stay down for good. Two, I had to fight Sasuke one last time…and prove I deserved to be here.
 
“Hey, Sakura! They have ramen rations!” Naruto yelled in joy. He jogged up to me with two bowls in his hand. “It's not as good as Ichiraku ramen, but it'll due.”
 
“If it's not war, it's ramen.” I snorted, taking the bowl from his hand. “Where's Hinata?”
 
“She's working the hospital with Ino…” Naruto muttered sadly. I immediately regretted ruining his buzz.
 
“You wanna go visit her really quick after we finish the ramen?”
 
“Awesome! But I have to get seconds!”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I KNOW, I KNOW! I took forever!!! Do you KNOW how many times I kept rewriting this chapter?! A lot of times people! Plus, I have a life too ya know! Anyway, be happy I updated! I think now I'll be able to update a little faster than this because I finished a project I've been doing for weeks! ALSO, I know this is shorter than what I promised you…but if I make it any longer then I'll get pissed off and write it all over again. XD So….R&R…AND TELL A FRIEND!
 
Sandragon: Heyy! UR BACKK!! I hope you enjoyed this chapter to your liking cuz I refuse to right it again! BWUAHAHAAA!
 
AnimePrincessInuLover: HAH! I surprised you, didn't I? Zakura is indeedy Naruto's auntie! Everybody needs to stop studying and come read some goddamn fanfiction! And yes, ur reviewing my AWESOME story!! XD Will Sasuke die?! Idk!!!!! You'll have to find out! Fear the evilnesss…
 
-Satans_Spawnishly_Daughter- : AGAIN!? Girly, you need to stop getting in trouble! But don't worry, I scream at my teachers all the time. UR NOT ALONE XDDDD
 
LusterBlossom: Lol!! YAY!! It's flowing perfectly! WOOH!!
 
Sakura's # 1 fan: AWESOME!! My fanfic iz kewl!! Yay!! Ur a new reviewer and I luuuv you! R&R AND TELL A FRIEND!
 
SmilezPeepz I outtie!