Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Relationships ❯ The Aftermath ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
The Aftermath
 
 
The bright sun shone through the window, reflecting off the mirror and into the face of the occupant of the only bed in the room. Naruto groaned as the insistent intruder aroused him from his sleep. Keeping his eyes closed, he tried to turn over to continue his dream when a sudden pain shot through his whole body.
 
 
“Ow, ow, ow” he said as he gingerly tried to return to his original position.
 
 
His whole body was sore as if he had lost a fight with Rock Lee after racing Lee around Konoha twenty times. As he lay there trying to figure out way he was so sore he started to notice a certain smell in the room.
 
 
“I know that smell” he thought as he tried to identify the culprit.
 
 
As his mind started to focus the identity of the odor came to him, antiseptic and chlorine. And the only time he had ever smelled those two odors together was in a hospital. Suddenly his memories of the previous battle flooded his mind.
 
 
Naruto quickly sat up ignoring the pain and looked around. The last thing he remembered was hearing someone saying something about the village being safe. The village may be all right but he didn't know if his friends were okay, especially Hinata, Gaara and Sakura. Grimacing through the pain Naruto swung his legs over to the side of the bed and tried to stand. Though he was now standing his legs felt as if a thousand needles were piercing each leg. As he tried to walk he lost his balance and fell against the support stand which was used to hold his food when present. This sent the empty support stand crashing to the ground. The noise caused a nurse, who was passing by, to look into the room. As she stood in the doorway and saw Naruto on his feet trying to walk, she leaned back into the hallway and called for someone to get the Hokage. Then the nurse came into the room and tried to get Naruto to go back to the bed telling him he shouldn't be up. When the nurse grabbed his midsection the pain shot through his nervous system but Naruto just ignored it and kept asking the nurse if Hinata, Sakura and Gaara was okay and did everyone survive.
 
 
Tsunade finally came through the door and helped the nurse force Naruto back into bed.
 
 
“The village? Is the village okay?” asked Naruto.
 
 
“Don't worry, everything is fine. There was some damage but nothing major.” answered Tsunade.
 
 
“We have our own Doton users filling in the gap between the bedrock and the supported area. Buildings with underground sections will have to be inspected and either shored up or torn down entirely” she added.
 
 
“What about Gaara; is Gaara alright?” asked Naruto.
 
 
“Yes the Kazakage is fine. He is resting a couple of doors down and he'll be able to leave in a couple of days”, said Tsunade.
 
 
“Even though Kyuubi's chakra is poisonous to others it seems as if Gaara was better able to tolerate it since he once was the container to Shukaku.”, she added.
 
 
“Great, great, I am glad to hear that”, replied Naruto.
 
 
The one thing he always dreaded was that he might hurt one of his friends while using the demon's chakra.
 
 
Somewhat relaxed Naruto asked, “How about Hinata and Sakura?”
 
 
“Sakura's fine, she's just suffering from chakra exhaustion. But Hinata …” Tsunade replied hesitantly.
 
 
Suddenly Naruto felt as if a stone had just dropped in his stomach. Apprehensively he asked “What happened to Hinata?”
 
 
“She will be fine in a couple of weeks but right now she's suffering from severe eye strain.” answered Tsunade.
 
 
“It seems that using the Byakugan too close to your four-tail form can be blinding to the Hyuugas. She'll have to wear bandages for the next two weeks until her eyes recover.”
 
 
“Great, that's just fantastic” Naruto thought sarcastically.
 
 
“I don't even have to attack my friends in Kyuubi mode to be a danger, all I have to do is stand near them” he thought.
 
 
And here he was thinking that maybe he and Hinata might just be able to make it as a couple. After the incident with Pein and Hinata's confession, Naruto was unsure how he felt about her but ever since they had been going out he had become quite comfortable with her around. When she had made her confession of love to him Naruto was shocked to say the least. When they were finally able to talk about it Naruto was confused and apprehensive. No one had ever said that they loved him. When he realized that Hinata really loved him he was so filled with emotion he wanted to say `I love you' back. However he was scared that he was just happy to be loved and he really didn't have true feeling for Hinata. He might have felt these same emotions if Tsunade, Shuzune or Ayame nee-chan had said “I love you”. Hell, he might have felt these emotions if twelve year-old Moegi had confessed her love. So being able to hang out with her this last year had given him a chance to really understand how he felt about her. And now that he had finally come to realize that he really liked her and maybe even loved her, his `curse' shows up to drive a wedge between them.
 
 
“Hell, she probably doesn't even want to see me ever again”, he thought.
 
 
Tsunade noticed Naruto going into a pensive mode and not wanting him to dwell on any guilt he felt for Hinata's predicament said, “Don't you want to know what happened to the Village?”
 
 
This had the desired effect as Naruto said, “Of course I do. What happened? Who attacked us?”
 
 
“We were attacked by one hundred ninjas in twenty-five groups of four. Each group consisted of one Doton user and three guards. From what I can tell after examining the bodies, the Doton users were medically enhance to provide the most chakra they could at the expense of their bodies.” Tsunade explained.
 
 
“Basically their bodies performed physically what the Akimichi's Pepper pills do chemically” she added, “and you recall what happened to Chouji when I sent you after Sasuke the first time?”
 
 
Naruto knew too well what had happened back then so he asked, “Did anyone survive?”
 
 
“Well after we stabilized the Village and made sure the civilians were safe, Shikamaru was able to send out patrols to search the surrounding area” Tsunade answered.
 
 
“The attackers were in the surrounding forest outside the wall and they fought hard but were ill-equipped for full battle. Those that survived the battle took suicide pills so that they couldn't be questioned and the Doton users just died from chakra exhaustion” she continued.
 
 
After thinking for while Naruto asked “One hundred ninja's just don't come out of nowhere and attack a hidden village. Do you know who was behind this?”
 
 
Tsunade sat down in the chair next to Naruto's bed, crossed her left leg over her right knee and said, “Rock. The Hidden Village Among the Rocks was behind the attack”.
 
 
Naruto looked at Tsunade with confusion written all over his face and then asked “Are we now at war with the Earth Country?”
 
 
Tsunade kept her face still and said “No”.
 
 
Now Naruto was totally lost. After fully registering what Tsunade said he started to yell “What do you mean, we are not at war with Earth?” “Rock just attacked for no reason, nearly destroying our home and almost killing Gaara, the Kazekage of the Sand Village, and WE ARE NOT GOING TO FIGHT BACK?!!”
 
 
Tsunade looked at the young man before her who would probably be her successor and thought “Now is your first lesson in international politics”.
 
 
“The reason we are not going to war with the Earth Country is because they have denied any knowledge of the attack” Tsunade answered.
 
 
Naruto was in total shock. “How can they send one hundred Rock ninjas to attack our village and then act like it wasn't their fault?” he asked.
 
 
Tsunade looked him straight in the eyes and said “All the attackers were listed as missing nins”.
 
 
Seeing the confusion on Naruto's face she continued “For the last eighteen months the Hidden Village of Rock has been reporting a large number of missing nins.” “Now every village, now and then, has trouble with ninjas dealing with the stress of our jobs or whatever and on average loses about ten to fifteen ninjas per year. Rock, because of their harsh training methods, tends to lose about twenty-five per year. However, no one has ever lost one hundred ninjas in such a short time”. “And to make matters even more strange, the missing nins were never seen in public again”.
 
 
Naruto looked at Tsunade and said “Well if no one has ever lost a hundred nins before why weren't you worried about it?”
 
 
“We were worried about it and so were the other Villages. However Rock took that into account because at the same time rumors started to leak out about a possible civil war in Rock and that the missing nins were probably forming an opposition army” she answered.
 
 
“Now it is obvious that Rock was keeping them hidden within their village and training them for this attack” Tsunade said.
 
 
“Ever since Jiraiya's death our information gathering has not been what it used to be”, she said more to herself than to Naruto.
 
 
Naruto noticing the sadness in Tsunade's eyes said “So Rock sends a suicide squad to attack us and if it succeeds then they move into our territory. On the other hand if the attack fails then they wipe their hands of it and say it was a rouge group of missing nins. Is that about it?”
 
 
Tsunade having recovered her composure just looked at him and said “Yes”.
 
 
Now Naruto was fuming, “There is no way a random group of one hundred missing nins would decide to get together and attack a hidden village on their own. They would need food, shelter, weapons and the money to buy those supplies. It is obvious that this is an attack planned by Earth”.
 
 
Tsunade just looked at Naruto and said “Yes it is obvious but by Earth declaring these ninjas missing and having them registered in the Bingo Books as such, they can't be held responsible for what they do. It's international law. And it's a law that all the Elemental countries have agreed to uphold”. “If every Elemental Country was held responsible for what their rouge ninjas did then there would never be peace between us only wars. The Bingo Books were originally set up to list criminal threats, both ninja and civilian, and to offer a bounty for their capture. However as time passed each country decided they needed an internal Bingo Books listing anyone who was a personal threat to that country alone. These internal Bingo Books are eventually found on the Black Market and then make their way to the other Elemental Countries. That why people like Jaraiya, Kakashi and me are listed in the Bingo Books. ” “And yes even you are now listed in some of them, Naruto”.
 
 
Naruto, looking down into his clenched fists in his lap, muttered “It just not right”.
 
 
Tsunade just stood up and said “No, it isn't. Welcome to international politics.”
 
 
As she turned to leave she said “Just take comfort that they lost one hundred ninjas while we only lost a few. And we still have our home”. “Now get some rest because you aren't fully recovered yet.”
 
 
With that statement, Tsunade left the room.
 
 
Naruto stayed in bed for the rest of the day. He had a few visitors like Iruka, Kakashi, Shikamaru and even Sai but the three main people, Hinata, Sakura and Gaara, were absent because they were still recovering. As he thought about it he started to wonder if he should even try to see Hinata. It felt great to have Neji trust him to protect her in dangerous situations but now it seems he can't even protect her from himself. Even though he really didn't want to, his body's need to recuperated cause Naruto to drift off into a deep sleep.
 
 
The next day Naruto felt a lot better. He still felt exhausted but at least he could move without every nerve screaming in pain. After laying there a while looking out the window Naruto heard a soft knock at his door.
 
 
“Come in” he replied.
 
 
When the door opened he saw Sakura standing wearing the white gown all hospital patients wore.
 
 
Naruto grinned and said, “Hey Sakura, I'm glad you're okay!” “Come on, come in and sit down!”
 
 
As Sakura entered Naruto thought something looked wrong with Sakura but he couldn't figure out what.
 
 
Sakura sat in the chair next to Naruto's bed and smiling asked “How are you feeling today?”
 
 
Naruto answered “I am feeling great but Tsunade baa-chan still won't let me leave yet”.
 
 
Sakura just folded her arms and looking Naruto directly in the eyes and said “If you're feeling so great than how come you didn't come visit me?”
 
 
Having been caught Naruto rubbed the back of his head, put on his cheesiest grin and said “Well, I guess I'm not that ready to leave”.
 
 
Wanting to get the attention off him Naruto said, “Hey, are you okay? I heard that you were suffering from chakra exhaustion. Should you be walking around?”
 
 
Sakura just waved her hand in dismal saying “I'm fine. As long as I don't try any techniques for a few days I can leave by tomorrow.”
 
 
“So did Tsunade tell you what happened?” Sakura asked.
 
 
“Yeah, and I think it sucks!” said Naruto.
 
 
“I know but what can Tsunade do? We can't just attack Rock without solid proof of their involvement. It would justify the Earth Country and its allies declaring war on Fire Country and our allies and then the next thing you know, another Great Ninja War” Sakura said.
 
 
“Yeah, yeah, I know and actually I agree but it just bothers me when I see injustice like this” Naruto replied.
 
 
Sakura looked somber and said “I know but at least our home, our families and our friends are safe”.
 
 
“So, when are you going to be strong enough to see Hinata?” she added.
 
 
Naruto just looked down at his hands and said nothing.
 
 
Sakura found this very puzzling and asked “What the matter?”
 
 
Naruto looked up and said “I don't know. I was thinking maybe I shouldn't ever see her again.”
 
 
Sakura was shocked. “What do you mean? Why won't you see her?” she asked.
 
 
When Naruto looked at Sakura she thought she saw this eyes glisten and then he said “It's because of me that she got hurt. It would probably be better if I just stayed away from her”.
 
 
Sakura stood up and smacked Naruto across the head.
 
 
Grimacing Naruto grabbed his head and yelled “Hey, what the hell did you do that for? Why are you always hitting me?”
 
 
“Look Naruto”, Sakura said softly, “I know I haven't been very nice to you when we were little. Whenever something wasn't going right in my life I always took it out on you because you were always there. Often you didn't deserve it but there were a few times when you did and right now this is one of them!”
 
 
Still holding his head Naruto said, “What the hell are you talking about? What did I do?”
 
 
Sakura looked at him sharply and said, “You have the best thing happening to you in your life and you just want to throw it away. Just because Hinata got hurt defending you, you're just going to run away in order to `protect' her? Why you sexist pig! The kunoichis of this village have every right to defend and even die to protect our village, our families and our friends.”
 
 
Naruto replied sharply “But this is different! She didn't get hurt protecting me like she did when she fought Pein. I HURT HER!”
 
 
Sakura sat back down in the chair and said softly “Naruto, you didn't attack Hinata. If you run away from her now you will be giving up the best thing you've ever had in your life. I mean, I have never seen this side of you before you two got together. And I'm not talking about happiness, I'm talking about contentment. When you two are together you smile real smiles. You don't brag as much. You don't talk as loud as you used to do. When you're with her it is almost as if you have found your second half. And you would have to be the biggest baka in the world to give that up.”
 
 
“Yeah, I know but now she is probably scared of me. She probably doesn't even want to have anything to do with since she saw the Kyuubi” Naruto said quietly looking into his lap.
 
 
“Do you remember what happened out there after Tsunade returned and told us the village was safe?” Sakura asked.
 
 
Naruto looked at Sakura and said, “Actually I don't remember much after the explosive tags”.
 
 
“Well,” Sakura replied “you were in some kind of automatic mode and you wouldn't end the chakra transfer jutsu. We all tried to get you to stop before you could hurt Gaara with Kyuubi's chakra but the only one you listened to was Hinata. She didn't run away. She stood there and pleaded with you to stop and you did”.
 
 
Naruto just sat there looking at his lap.
 
 
“Look, you once made a lifetime promise to me that you would bring Sasuke back to me and you kept that promise” Sakura said. “And in four more years after his sentence is served we will be Team Seven again” she added.
 
 
“Now I am going to make a promise of a lifetime to Hinata right now” she said.
 
 
Naruto looked up at Sakura with confusion in his eyes.
 
 
“I promise Hinata that I'm going to bring you back to her even if I have to beat some sense into your thick skull” Sakura said.
 
 
Naruto looked shocked when he heard what she said.
 
 
“And you might was well give up because I learned how to do that from my teammate and he's the best” she said as she smiled at him.
 
 
“He taught me to never go back on my word because that's my…” “Nindo” she heard him say at the same time.
 
 
“Now are you going to go see her?” Sakura asked.
 
 
Naruto smiled and “Yeah”.
 
 
“Good” Sakura said. “Now it's time I got out of here before Shizune-sempai finds out I'm gone” she added.
 
 
As Sakura rose from the chair and turned to leave Naruto suddenly figure out what was different about her hospital gown. Sakura had on two gowns but the outside one was worn backwards.
 
 
Naruto said “Hey, Sakura, why are you wearing two gowns?”
 
 
Sakura looked over her shoulder and said “Do you think I am going to walk around this place only wearing one gown. I work here so I know how this place operates”.
 
 
And with that Sakura waved bye and walked to the door, opened it and peered out, making sure to peek down both sides of the hallway before leaving.
 
 
It wasn't until after lunch that Naruto start to feel like his old self. He figured one more good night sleep and he would be well enough to leave whether Tsunade agreed or not because if he had to eat this bland hospital food much longer he thought he would go crazy. Since he had forgotten to ask Sakura which room Hinata was occupying he had to ask the nurse who informed him that Hyuuga-san was just down the hall to the right. He also found out that after Gaara's initial examination he was transferred to his suite at the Ho-oo Hotel. Naruto made a mental note to check up on Gaara before Gaara left the village. Grabbing a spare hospital gown Naruto put it on just like Sakura had done earlier and headed for Hinata's room. When Naruto was still two doors away the door to Hinata's room open and out walked Hyuuga Hiashi followed by Hanabi, Hinata's younger sister. Both parties stopped and looked at each other. As Hiashi apprised the young man who had once again save the village he thought that it was a shame that nothing could come from their relationship as it would advantageous to be related to the future Hokage.
 
 
Finally Hiashi spoke, “Uzumaki-san, she is awake. You may see her.”
 
 
Naruto, for the most part, still did not like Hiashi but he was Hinata's father so he just gave a nod of his head and said “Thank you, Sir”.
 
 
With that Hiashi and Hanabi moved pass Naruto and left the hospital. Naruto took a quick glance over his shoulder at the retreating pair and then moved to Hinata's room. Just as he was about to knock a wave of insecurity hit him.
 
 
“What if Sakura is wrong”, he thought, “What if she had a chance to think it over and she doesn't want to see me anymore”.
 
 
As Naruto began to withdraw his hand and turn away he stopped and thought, “No! If Hinata doesn't want to see me anymore let her say it with her own voice”.
 
 
With that thought Naruto knocked lightly on the door and when he heard her voice answer, took a deep breathe and entered.
 
 
When Hinata heard the knock at her door she said “Come in”. She waited until the caller announced themselves and after a few seconds wondered if she had imagined it. Suddenly she felt it, that feeling she associated with warmth and security. A big smile broke out on her face and turning towards the door she said ”Naruto-kun! You came to visit. Are you okay?”
 
 
When Naruto first entered the room he saw Hinata sitting in her bed facing ahead with bandages across her eyes. He felt bad that she had to suffer for what he had sealed inside of him. Hinata's voice jarred him back to reality and he answered “Hey, Hinata, yeah I'm fine”.
 
 
“Good, Tsunade-sama told me you were awake but she would let me come see you” Hinata said.
 
 
When Naruto heard the words `see you' he cringed. Then Naruto walked closer to Hinata's bed and pulling the single chair in the room under him, sat down and said “Hinata, I am so sorry”.
 
 
Hinata was puzzled by Naruto's voice and asked “Why, Naruto-kun? What did you do?”
 
 
“Your eyes were damaged because of me and I would understand if you never wanted me to come near you again” Naruto answered, his voice full of regret.
 
 
Hinata reached out her hand to towards Naruto and moved it back and forth until Naruto grabbed it. Then Hinata said, “Naruto-kun, my eyes are going to be fine. Tsunade-sama said that I can take these bandages off after two weeks and then I will be able to see you again.”
 
 
Naruto looked at Hinata and said “You mean that you don't hate me for what happened?”
 
 
Hinata gave a small giggle and said “Naruto-kun, I could never hate you. I once told you `I love you' and I meant it. I love your messy hair. I love your cobalt blue eyes. I love your birthmark. I love your determination. I love your loyalty to your friends and the village. I love your anger against injustice. I love the marks on your face that look like whiskers. I love everything about you.”
 
 
“But weren't you scared by the Kyuubi?” Naruto asked.
 
 
Hinata's head moved down as if she was looking into her lap and she answered “I'll admit that when you changed into that horrid four-tail beast I was frightened but then I remembered that it was Naruto-kun inside and that I would be safe”.
 
 
“But you got hurt just by being next to me” Naruto said.
 
 
Quietly Hinata replied, “Naruto-kun, I almost died protecting you from Pein and I would face a thousand more like him for you. If I had to lose my eyes in order to keep you safe than that would a very small price that I would gladly pay.”
 
 
Hinata was looking in Naruto's direction when she finished and Naruto thought “Even with her eyes covered she was the most beautiful girl I have ever seen”.
 
 
As Naruto stared at Hinata he found himself drawing closer and closer to her face when suddenly there was a knock at the door and the nurse walked in. After Hinata's last speech the room had gotten quieter and Hinata started to wonder if she had said too much. She thought back to her conversation with Kurenai and wondered if she was going too fast for Naruto, if she was pressuring him into something he wasn't ready for. Hinata was about to say something when she heard the knock at the door and the voice of the nurse saying “Excuse me, Hyuuga-sama but it is time to check your bandages”.
 
 
Hinata heard Naruto move the chair as he stepped out of the way and then she heard him say “Well, I better be going now so I'll see you tomorrow”.
 
 
Hinata replied “I am being released tomorrow to go home and rest, Naruto-kun”.
 
 
Naruto said “Oh! Can I walk you home then?”
 
 
Hinata blushed and said “Yes, I would like that very much. Thank you”.
 
 
“Alright then, I see you tomorrow” Naruto replied and then Hinata heard the sound of the door opening and closing.
 
 
When Naruto left it had suddenly occurred to Hinata that not once had she stuttered. She didn't understand why, maybe it was the fact that see wasn't looking at him or maybe it was because she felt his presence. She didn't know why it happened but she was glad it had finally happened.
 
 
Check out time at the Konoha Hospital is eleven a.m.; Uzumaki Naruto was out of there at eight a.m. When the nurse entered the room to check on him she found his bed empty and his clothes gone. Running out of the room and into the hall she spied Shuzune walking towards her so she called “Shizune-sempai, come quick. Uzumaki-san….”
 
 
Shizune held up her hand with the palm facing the nurse to stop her from continuing and said “Don't tell me, Naruto is gone, right?”
 
 
The nurse just nodded her head. Shizune smiled and said “I'm surprised he lasted this long. Just have his dismal papers prepared and I'll sign them” and with that Shizune continued her morning rounds.
 
 
Naruto was correct when he felt one more night sleep and he'd be back to normal so now the first thing on his mind was food, GOOD FOOD! “First stop, Ichiraku Ramen stand!” he thought as he leapt away from his hospital window. Teuchi had the water in his pot boiling and was preparing the vegetables when his daughter Ayame was opening the door for business. The shop had expanded after the devastating attack from Pein and because of that business had picked up considerably.
 
 
Ayame was squatting behind the counter getting the condiment ready for the customers when she heard a familiar voice say, “Hey Ayame nee-chan, Hey Oji-san, bring whatever you got ready, I'm starved”.
 
 
Ayame stood up smiling and said, “Naruto-kun! You're out of the hospital already? How are you feeling?”
 
 
Teuchi's head poked out from the kitchen door and smiling said “Hey Naruto! Welcome back!”
 
 
Naruto moved to the counter and sitting down in his usual spot said, “I am great and thanks but right now I haven't had any real food in three days. So whatever you got ready, bring it on!”
 
 
“Coming right up” Teuchi said and then he disappeared behind the kitchen door.
 
 
Ayame leaned on the counter in front of Naruto with her arms folded and her elbows supporting her upper body and said “So where Hinata?”
 
 
The gleam in Naruto's eyes dulled and he answered, “Oh, she hurt her eyes during the attack and had to stay in the hospital for a while”.
 
 
As he noticed the concern in Ayame's face he quickly added “Don't worry about it because Tsunade baa-chan said she's going to be all right and Hinata is being released tomorrow to rest at home. As a matter of fact I'm gonna walk her home myself”.
 
 
Ayame smiled and said “That good. So have you told her yet?”
 
 
Naruto looked at Ayame in confusion and asked “Told her what?”
 
 
Ayame looked right in his eyes and said “Have you told her that you love her?”
 
 
Naruto answered “No not yet….Hey, wait a minute! How did you know that how I feel? I only figured that out this last night.”
 
 
“Naruto-kun” Ayame said, “I've known you almost all your life and I have seen you when you had good days and I've seen you when you had bad days. But in all that time the only times I have seen you relaxed and comfortable had been these last few months when you are with her. When you are with Hinata you aren't anxious about impressing someone, you're not as loud as you usually are and you don't brag as much about how great you are”.
 
 
Upon hearing that Naruto crossed his arm and muttered “I don't brag a lot”.
 
 
Ayame gave him a warm smile and said “Yes you do, but don't worry about it because that one of the things Dad and I love about you”.
 
 
After hearing that Naruto uncrossed his arm, put his right hand behind his head and grinning said “Okay, maybe I do brag a little bit”.
 
 
Ayame just looked at him as a big sister would her little brother and said “So when are you going to tell her?”
 
 
“I was thinking I would tell her when I walked her home today” he answered.
 
 
“You know, she has liked you for along time” Ayame said.
 
 
“Yeah, she told me about that” he admitted.
 
 
“Occasionally I would see her standing across the street watching you eat and you didn't even notice” she added.
 
 
“Yeah, some ninja I turned out to be” Naruto said ruefully.
 
 
“You turned out to be a great ninja” Teuchi said as he walked through the kitchen door carrying a big bowl of noodles crammed with all kinds of seafood like scallops, squid and crab.
 
 
Naruto was stunned by the amount of food and once he recovered he said “You didn't have that already prepared for just anyone?”
 
 
Teuchi chuckled and said “You are right. I only make this for my special customers and today it on the house”.
 
 
Naruto just stared at the food and said “Free for me? Why?”
 
 
“Naruto, everyone in the village is talking about what you did. My boy, if it wasn't for you my little restaurant wouldn't be around anymore. Kami, this whole village wouldn't be around anymore. So I wanted to say `thank you' by making you the best meal in all of Konoha”.
 
 
Ayame could see Naruto's eyes glisten and he said “Thanks oji-san”.
 
 
Quickly recovering Naruto grabbed the chopsticks, broken them in half and shouted “Idatakimasu!” before attacking the food with gusto.
 
 
After leaving Teuchi and Ayame Naruto decided to see how Gaara was doing. Naruto had learned that after Gaara's initial checkup by Tsunade he had been move back to the Dignitary Suites at Konoha's finest hotel, The Ho-oo Hotel (The Phoenix Hotel). As Naruto was walking towards the hotel he noticed that everyone he passed was waving at him or smiling and saying “Good morning, Uzumaki-san”.
 
 
When Naruto reach the door of the Ho-oo Hotel the doorman bowed to him and said “Welcome Uzumaki-san” and then he held the door open for Naruto.
 
 
A little stunned Naruto just nodded and said Uh, thanks” and walked into the lobby.
 
 
Naruto was amazed at the splendor of the Ho-oo Hotel as he had never been inside such a fancy place as this before. When Naruto reached the reception desk a young woman of about twenty smiled at him and said “Welcome Uzumaki-san, how may I help you?”
 
 
As Naruto looked at the woman he wondered “Did she just wink at me?”
 
 
Remembering why he was there Naruto said “Uh, oh yes, I came to see Ga…the Kazekage of the Sand. Which room is he in?”
 
 
The receptionist said “Umm; let me check the register”, and as she was looking over the entries she leaned forward making sure Naruto had a view of the cleavage of her ample bosom. After she felt she had given him a good look she leaned back and said “Oh yes, of course, how silly of me. He's on the top floor, the Dignitary Suites. Just take the elevator over there”.
 
 
Naruto just stared for a second and then said “Uh, okay...yeah…uh…thanks”.
 
 
As he turned to go to the elevator the receptionist purred “Uzumaki-san, I get off work at seven” and again winked at him.
 
 
When the elevator reached the top floor the doors opened and Naruto was confronted by two guards wearing hia-ate with leaf symbols. When the guards recognized who he was they both bowed and “Uzumaki-san, how can we help you?”
 
 
Naruto said “Uh, yeah, which way to the Kazekage's room?”
 
 
The guard on the right pointed to the right and said “The door is this way, Uzumaki-san”.
 
 
As Naruto turned right as he left the elevator he saw a large double door at the end of the hallway flanked by two more guards. When Naruto reached the door both guards bowed greeting him and then the guard on the right knocked on the door behind him. Soon Naruto heard Temari's voice coming through the door saying “Yes, what is it?”
 
 
The guard on the right replied “Uzumaki Naruto-san is here to see the Kazekage”.
 
 
Naruto heard the door unlocking and as it opened he saw Temari's face appear first with a guarded look and then smiling in recognition.
 
 
Temari's said “Naruto, it good to see you up already. Please, come on inside”.
 
 
After Naruto had entered and Temari was closing the door, he noticed Temari had her hidden hand firmly on her fan. When Temari had noticed where Naruto was looking she said “Even in friendly territory one can never be too careful”.
 
 
Then Temari said “Gaara is resting on the sofa, this way” and she led Naruto from the entryway to an open area where he found Gaara resting with his feet up reading a scroll.
 
 
When Gaara saw Naruto he said “Uzumaki Naruto, it is good to see you up” and as he started to get up Temari yelled “Don't you dare get up!” “You are not fully recovered and you should still be resting in bed. I allowed you to read those intelligence reports from the Hokage because you promise me you wouldn't move from that couch”.
 
 
As Gaara eased himself back down he said “Temari, I feel fine. There is no need for you to worry about me”.
 
 
Temari said “Look, you may be the Kazekage but I am still your older sister and will always worry about you. So until The Hokage or your doctor gives you a clean bill of health you will do as I say, got it!”
 
 
Gaara just sighed but Naruto busted out laughing. Then Temari turned on him and placing her hands on her hips asked “What's so funny?”
 
 
Naruto tried to calm down saying “Man, I thought I had it tough with Sakura but you, Temari, are just as bad”.
 
 
Temari just crossed her arms and huffed “Well, if you men didn't always think that you were invincible we women wouldn't have to treat you like children”.
 
 
After Naruto had calmed down he said “I just came by to thank you guys for all the help you gave me and my village.” “I'm just sorry you had to get hurt because of me” he added.
 
 
“Uzumaki Naruto, I would not be alive right now to get hurt if it wasn't for you' Gaara replied. “You helped me when I didn't even know I needed help when you showed me that fighting for loved ones made a person stronger than fighting for one's self. You saved me again when you risked your own safety by facing the Akatuski in order to rescue me from my captivity and then providing Chiyo-sama the chakra necessary to revive me. I made a vow then and there that whatever Uzumaki Naruto believed was precious I was going to protect it” Gaara said.
 
 
Naruto placed his right hand behind his head and said “Gee, thanks Gaara”.
 
 
Not liking the uncomfortable feeling he was getting Naruto decided to change the subject by asking “Hey Gaara, how are they treating you here in this fancy hotel?”
 
 
“The service is satisfactory” Gaara replied.
 
 
At that point Temari stood up and said “Excuse me, please” and left the room.
 
 
When Temari was gone Naruto leaned closer to Gaara and said “Yeah, but how does the food taste in this place. I know that hospital food sucks so how is the food here?”
 
 
“The food is satisfactory here” Gaara answered, “but Temari won't let me have any sweets.”
 
 
“Gotcha,” Naruto said “I'll try and sneak some in next time I visit.”
 
 
At this time Temari reappeared carrying a book. “Hey Naruto, I meant to ask you something. I found this old book in a bookstore in Suna and it has your name in it and it's written by someone named Jaraiya. At first I thought about your old Sensei but as I understand he only wrote smutty romance novels. Is it the same guy?”
 
 
Naruto looked at the book in Temari's hand and read the title: The Gutsy Ninja. With a slight tremble in his voice Naruto answered “Yeah, it was the first book he ever wrote”.
 
 
Temari saw Naruto's eyes glisten and said “You really miss him, don't you?”
 
 
Naruto just looked at the book and said “Yeah”.
 
 
Temari asked “Do you want to have it?”
 
 
“Naw, you keep it. I already have a copy” Naruto replied.
 
 
After a moment of silence Naruto stood up and said “Well, I better get going. I have to take Hinata home from the hospital and I don't want to be late”. “Hey, when are you guys going back to Suna?” Naruto suddenly asked.
 
 
Temari answered “Since the need for secrecy is over I sent word to Baki to have a full escort come to Konoha to take us back. It should be here in another two days”.
 
 
“Good” said Naruto, “then I'll see you guys later.”
 
 
Temari escorted Naruto to the door but as soon as they got there she turned Naruto around and gave him a big hug. Taken aback Naruto didn't know what to say or do.
 
 
After Temari released him she said “Thanks again for saving Gaara. And tell that Hyuuga girl she is one lucky girl”.
 
 
Naruto looked shocked and said “How did you know….aah, never mind”.
 
 
As he walked down the hall to the elevator Naruto thought “Everybody knew she was watching me before I did, everybody knew she liked me before I did and now everybody likes how she affect me.” “And you know what, I like it too” he thought with a grin on his face.
 
 
When the elevator reached the ground floor Naruto decided to keep his eyes straight and walk right through the lobby to the front entrance. However as he got close to the entrance he heard the receptionist call out “Come and see us again, Uzumaki-san”.
 
 
When Naruto arrived at the hospital he knew that he was in trouble for sneaking out and so he tried to avoid seeing Tsunade or Shizune as best he could. He checked every hallway be fore walking through to the next one. He ducked into empty rooms whenever he heard someone coming. Now he was on the same floor as Hinata and her room was only a hundred feet away.
 
 
As he slowly crept down the empty hallway towards his goal he suddenly heard a voice behind say “Don't worry Naruto-kun, you have already been signed out”.
 
 
The word “Busted” rang through Naruto's mind as he slowly turned around and saw Shizune standing behind him. Before he could say anything Shizune just smile and shook her head while she turned and walked away. Hinata was sitting on her bed waiting for the nurse to arrive so she could bathe and dress in order to be ready when Naruto arrived.
 
 
When she heard the knock at the door she replied “Come in”.
 
 
When she heard the door open she expected to hear the nurse's voice but suddenly she felt that familiar feeling that always felt like a masseuse was working the kinks out of her muscles.
 
 
She knew in an instant what that meant and said “Naruto-kun!” however the realization that she wasn't ready hit her so she panicked and started to apologize saying “Oh, Naruto-kun, I'm sorry I'm not dressed but I didn't realize how late it was”. “The nurse was supposed to come by and…..” she continued but Naruto interrupted her by saying “Shh, Hinata, it's okay, it's okay, you're not late. I'm early. I just wanted to make sure I didn't make you wait when it came time to leave”.
 
 
Hinata gave a shy smile and thought “How sweet, Naruto-kun”.
 
 
And then she heard him say “Actually, Hinata, I wanted to talk to you about, uh, you know, about us”. “I know I'm not good with all that mushy talk so I am just going to say it, you make me feel comfortable”. “I know, it not the kind of romantic talk you hear in all those movies but that how I feel. When we're together you make me feel like I always dream it would feel if I had a family at home waiting for me; the feeling that I belonged somewhere and I was not just a visitor. These last three months, whenever we were together, all the things that had bothered me that day just disappeared. When I used to go on missions, the first thing I thought about when coming home was going to Ichiraku for ramen. Now the first thing I think about is going to Ichiraku for ramen with you. When I first heard that you got hurt because of me my stomach felt empty because I thought you would never want to see me again. I don't know if I'm saying this right or not but if these feeling are what love is then I guess I love you.”
 
 
The silence after Naruto had finished was deafening. Hinata hadn't said a thing and Naruto was wondering what she was thinking. Then he heard her sniff and he noticed a tear leaking out from under her bandages so he asked “Hey Hinata, are you alright?”
 
 
Hinata didn't say a word, she just nodded her head quickly and then after regaining her composure said quietly “Naruto-kun, those were the most romantic words I have ever heard”.
 
 
Naruto smiled and said “Then I guess were boyfriend and girlfriend now?”
 
 
Hinata quickly nodded her head.
 
 
Then Naruto said “Now what happens?”
 
 
Before Hinata could say anything there was a knock at the door and a nurse stuck her head in saying “Time for your bath, Hyuuga-sama”.
 
 
Noticing Naruto in the room the nurse said “Oh, I didn't know you had company. I'll just start the water for your bath and then I'll come back before the tub is full.”
 
 
No one said anything while the nurse was there and after she left Naruto said “I better wait outside while you get dress”.
 
 
Hinata nodded her head and said “Okay”, and then she heard the door open and then close.
 
 
Hinata was in heaven. Naruto had just confessed his love to her! The world was suddenly perfect. She had never felt so happy and warm and comfortable. As she started to remove her night clothes to take her bath she suddenly realized why she felt so comfortable. Grabbing her gown tightly to her body she said “Naruto-kun! Get out of this room right now!”
 
 
She suddenly heard the sound of tumbling and a chair hitting the ground and then the sound of the door opening and then closing. After making sure she could no longer detect him Hinata sat down on her bed fuming and said “That pervert!” Kurenai-sensei was right. Hanging around with Jaraiya and Kakashi had corrupted him. To think, he just tried to look at my body!” When what she said finally registered Hinata froze.
 
 
“He wanted to look at my body” she said softly.
 
 
“He wanted to look at MY body” she repeated softly.
 
 
“Yes!” she said while softly stomping her feet on the floor and pounding her fists on the bed. Then realizing all the consequences that would follow; holding hands, light touching, kissing, more touching, deeper kisses, intimate touching and at that point Hinata's brain shutdown and she fainted. When the nurse returned she was wondering if Hinata had tried to walk and bumped her head as she was lying unconscious with a little blood under her nose.
 
 
Naruto paced anxiously outside of Hinata's hospital room. He blew it! He knew he messed up badly. Damn that Jaraiya and his books. Hinata would definitely hate him now. She probably didn't even want to see him again let alone walk her home but he just had to try to apologize. After what seemed like forever the door opened and Hinata stepped out.
 
 
Before Naruto could open his mouth to apologize, Hinata said “I'm ready to go home now”.
 
 
At first Naruto looked around wondering to whom Hinata was talking. When he didn't see anyone else he realized it was him and he said “Okay, let me take your arm then”.
 
 
Taking her hand in his and holding her arm inside his arm Naruto walked Hinata out of the hospital and towards the Hyuuga estates. Naruto figured that the only reason Hinata was letting him take her home was because it was too late to get someone else. They both walked in silence neither knowing what to say to the other.
 
 
When they arrived outside the Hyuuga estate's walls and within a few hundred feet of the main gate Naruto stopped and said “Look Hinata, I am sorry for what happened back there. I know that I was wrong. I don't know what came over me. Please don't hate me. I like hanging out with you. I will do whatever you say, just please forgive me”.
 
 
Hinata was silent for a few seconds and then said “Naruto-kun, I am not comfortable with what you did”.
 
 
Naruto was crestfallen and he started to turn away when he barely heard Hinata whisper “But when I am comfortable I`ll let you look all you want”.
 
 
Naruto was shocked. He looked at Hinata, who had her face down and tinted with a blush, and whispered “Really?”
 
 
Hinata didn't say a thing, she just nodded her head. Naruto was so happy he just grabbed Hinata by the shoulders, which caused her to look up in shock and Naruto kissed her.
 
 
Hinata previously had many dreams about her first kiss with Naruto. There was the romantic dinner served at a fancy restaurant; there was the kiss by moonlight near the shore of the lake; there was the kiss after the rescue, either her rescuing Naruto or Naruto rescuing her. There was even her personal favorite, the kiss standing on top of the Hokage Mountain while being silhouetted by the full moon. Never in her wildest dreams was there a kiss on the dusty road of Konoha outside the Hyuuga estates. But as far as Hinata was concerned this dream was the best because this kiss was real. The kiss was somewhat chaste as this was the first kiss for both of them but it made Hinata feel as if Naruto's hands were the only thing supporting her body. Even though it felt like forever Naruto broke the kiss after hearing a few coughs coming from the direction of the compound's gates. Looking past Hinata's shoulder Naruto saw Neji standing beside the guards of the estate's front gates.
 
 
Looking back at Hinata who seemed as if she was sleeping standing up he said “I think you better go inside now. Neji is waiting”.
 
 
As Hinata returned to her senses she said “Oh, oh yes, thank you for walking me home, Naruto-kun”.
 
 
As they walked the last hundred feet to the gate Naruto said, “Oh yeah, about what we talked about just now, I had heard that the Byakugan can see through anything even clothes. Is that true?”
 
 
Hinata blushed and replied rapidly “Oh no, that is just a rumor. The Byakugan can only see chakra coils and the general outline of the human body but no definition”.
 
 
“Oh, okay. Well here's Neji to take you inside” Naruto said as they reached Neji's position and Naruto placed Hinata's hand into Neji's.
 
 
“Can I see you tomorrow, Hinata?” Naruto asked.
 
 
Hinata turned towards Naruto's voice and said, “I have to check with father but I will let you know.”
 
 
With that Hinata and Neji entered the gates and Naruto turned to walk home. While walking Naruto thought “It is going to be interesting to have Hinata as a girlfriend. She said loves my messy hair, my whiskers, my birthmark….” Naruto stopped short and subconsciously touch his behind and said aloud “Wait! I never told her about my birthmark. I never even told Iruka about it. So how does she know…..”. As realization came to Naruto he just smiled and took off running thinking “Yeah, having Hinata for a girlfriend is going to be interesting indeed”