Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Rubies & Sapphires ❯ Formation of Team Eight and Mission to the Wave ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Yo! I'm not late, considering I posted the last chapter less than five minutes before starting this one. I really hope you guys/girls are enjoying this fic so far.
 
BTW, this chapter contains spoilers for issue 317 of the manga... Well, kind of... Now, for Comments/Questions/Suggestions:
 
demon-sword: Yo! Thanks for your comments. Remember, that Kurenai in the early stages was known as the 'Ice Queen' of Konoha. Kurenai is starting to warm to Naruto, as this chapter will show. I can't have too much fluff between a 19 year old and a 5 year old can I? When Naruto get's to 12, I'll start introducing fluff. Once he gets to 16... Well, you'll see. The part about the 'melting' was that Kurenai in my fic never showed much emotion towards guys, and Naruto was the first, even if he was just a boy. The others 'joked' that she was melting, not being serious. As for the Celestial Gates, yes it has to do with Kyuubi's chakra, however, it has nothing to do with his forms. I'm not going to make him a super duper overpowerful guy that can make the world self destruct. I will allow him to acces either, but not both. So, Gates or Tails. Should he try to access both... Well, let's just say that he's going to go SPLAT. As for Jutsus learnt from each Jounin, he learnt 3 elemental jutsus from each element that he has an affinity for, as well as the basics such as Henge, Kage Bunshin, etc. For Genjutsus, he learnt... Let's just say a few... 'Wink wink. Hint hint.' Taijutsu I've explained, plus he learns a new move this chapter for Taijutsu. As for armed Taijutsu, I've taken an example from the latest manga issue and given Naruto a pair of Asuma's knuckleduster knives. Why? If you want to know, read this chapter or the manga. It has more to do with Naruto than you think. As I said, Naruto's good in this, but he's not the next Itachi. I was actually thinking of making him High Chuunin/Low Jounin level for the exam when his card is read out. As for updating... DON'T USE THAT JUTSU!!!!! 'Is sucked in by the ultimate Genjutsu' BWARG! Fine, here's your chapter!
 
Ansela: Thanks for picking me up on that. I'm getting kind of board saying this in all of my fics, but whatever... My word processor, Open Office's spell check is completely stuffed. It's physically impossible to spell check it unless I copy the ENTIRE document onto another computer and copy paste it into Word and then back. Only then will it register spelling errors. The mistakes you see here are the one's I've missed. Apart from that, it's not spell checked. I personally think I'm not a bad speeler considering I make so few errors, but whatever.
 
RyokoTenchi: Konw what I think of Pokemon? 'Pikachu runs up' Pika pi- SHI-NE! 'Uses Gaara's sand' Sabaku Kyu! Sabaku Soso! 'Watches gleefully as chunks of red and yellow rain from the sky' That's what I think of the damn temes! Again, thanks for picking my up on those grammar issues.
 
FF-loverHP1: Nah, Naruto only learned the theory. Remember, without the Sharingan, it's an incomplete jutsu, so Kakashi didn't take the risk.
 
Dragon Noir: Yo! Did I say super genius? If I did, I'm going back to change it to regular genius. As for learning Armed Tai from Asuma, there was a VERY specific reason for it. Read the latest manga issue or this chapter to find out why. Those Chakra knuckledusters aren't regular ones, that's for sure. Well, considering how long the actual chapter was, do you really blame me? If I included a more detailed overview of Naruto's training, it would have been the longest chapter I ever wrote, as well as the longest I'd probably ever write. As for the rankings, I have to agree with you. I've changed it to something more... Believeable. Oh, the 'Kurenai's cleaveage' incident? No, they're going to shut the hell up about it. Read this chapter to find out how. Well, you're right about Naruto's team. Naru-Shika-Chou. Remember, not all Genin teams have to consist of two guys to ever girl. There were plenty of all guy Genin teams in the Chunin exams in Canon. I've also thought about it. Naru-Shika-Chou actually makes a hell of a lot of sense. The 'Dobe' Shikamaru who took Naruto's place, because it was too 'troublesome' to move his pencil during the tests. Even in canon, Shikamaru was practically tying with Naruto for the 'wooden spoon' as we call it. Chouji I would have presumed was an all rounder. So, give them the 'Dobe', the Top Dog and an average guy and you got yourself a well ballanced team. Well, as well balanced as the Naru-Sasu-Saku team was... IE, the next three Sanin.
 
Endolphins: It earns the humor part this chapter. Believe me. The romance is coming this chapter, and it will stay fairly discrete until Naruto turns 16. After that... Well, I can't promise you anything... As for the elemental affinities, in that chapter, Yamamoto commented that the majority of Jounins had at least two. Some, like Sarutobi, had an affinity for every single one. So, it's not REALLY that unbelievable.
 
ranma-hibiki: Oh yeah, Naruto would have permanently damanged their relationship if she was around, so you better thank me Naruto for not placing her in viewing range!
 
Mage Ronin: You know something? I started an 'Anti Emo-Sasuke' Fan Club a while ago. After a while, I sort of lost contact with it... Like you, Emo Sasuke just pisses me off. I almost wish he'd just slit his wrists and get it over with...
 
Takkun832: Nah, remember, the Genin teams are based on graduating scores. In the official story, Naruto was the Dobe, Sakura was middle of the class and Sasuke was Rookie of the Year. Considering that Naruto is Rookie of the Year, Sasuke was second and Sakura was roughly third, it'd make no sense to put them together, according to the Academy criteria. Read Mage Ronin's reply for the reason your second guess was right.
 
Shiano16: Nobel Prize, huh? Wow, it was THAT good? I think I'll give myself a pat on the back. 'pat' Well, thanks for reviewing and keep reading!
 
LbcLostKid: True, but as I've said with my other fics, all Romaji words that are supposed to have a double 'u' in them can be done in another way. My word processor had a special key that allows me to make the shortened version, which is a single u with a line over the top of it, which is the symbol for a double 'u'. However, when I upload the chapter to the site, the site won't read it, so it appears as a single u. I'm trying to get into the habit of doing a regular double u instead of the special one.
 
Artymis Terun: OMG, I overlooked that... I've changed it now, thanks for that!
 
ki master: Bugger, overlooked that... As for that other fic, I'm going to look into it.
 
Soul of the Silver Phoenix: Yeah, so you noticed it. However, a NaruxKure fic can be done in one of two ways from what I've been able to figure out. 1: Kakashi takes Naruto to meet Kurenai at a young age or 2: Naruto gets assigned to team 8 at the academy. I gave mention that both author's heavily influenced my ideas, but as Sasuke would say 'from here on, it's all original.'
 
BountyHunterAWL: Well, I acutally really dislike NarxHarem fics. I don't like the idea of Naruto sleeping around with every woman he can get his hads on. He'd be another Jiraiya. I REFUSE to have a minature Jiraiya running around in any of my fics. As far as lemons, I did happen to have others, but they were lost many years ago during my spate of hard drive crashes. So, sorry, that's the only one.
 
Del'Cera Osirin: Yeah, I've fixed the troublesome thing, thanks for that. As for Trogdor... I was using that word long before I knew Trogdor from a bar of soap. However, Burninate does not equal Baniniate. Baniniate means block, while Burninate in this sense would mean flame the flamer.
 
antiassasinguy: Yay! One of my idols has given me a review! As for his power level, yeah, he's upper Chuunin/Lower Jounin. And sorry for nabbing some of your plot, it's damn hard to do a NaruXKure fic without having one of two beginings, which are the one you and I did, or Naruto gets assigned to Team 8 at the academy. As Sasuke said 'from here on, it's all original' As for Naruto's elemental affinities, I gave him fire for obvious reasons, wind because he has it in the manga and for a very specific reason which is revealed in the latest manga issue as well as this chapter, and lightning because I think Raiton jutsus are, in one word, 'sexcellent'. Your views on shinobi and emotions is true. However, what do you think Naruto would do if he saw 'Kurenai-Chan' 'killed' in front of him? Yay! 4/5! Catch you round! I also look forward to your fic being updated, it's good reading.
 
To everyone else who I didn't answer to individually because it had no questions, thank you all for the reviews! And now, without further ado, I give you, chapter two of Rubies and Sapphires. Enjoy!
 
Legend:
 
'...Human or Lesser Summon Thinking/Small A/N...'
 
'...Demon or Summon Boss Thinking...'
 
“...Human or Lesser Summon Talking...”
 
...Demon or Summon Boss Talking...”
 
“...SHOUTING/TWO OR MORE PEOPLE CASTING THE SAME JUTSU...”
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&...Scene Change...&&&&&&&&&&&&&& amp;&
 
Rubies & Sapphires:
 
Chapter Two:
 
Formation of Team Eight and Mission to the Wave:
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&
 
That Night:
 
When Naruto had gotten home, he opened the door to the apartment with ease and saw that it was completely dark. Warily, Naruto flicked the light switch on to reveal a group of people smiling at him. People he was rather close to. Kurenai smiled and gave Naruto a hug.
 
“Congratulations on getting Rookie of the Year, Naruto. We're prowd of you.”
 
“Thanks, Kurenai-Chan.”
 
They all congratulated Naruto, both Asuma and Kakashi giving him jokes about Naruto's 'new home' being in Kurenai's cleavage when she was ut of ear shot. Naruto smirked ever so slightly.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&
 
Next Morning, 5 am:
 
Naruto was up bright and early to get the daily 'Konoha Times'. Just as he suspected, his plans had all come to this. Naruto walked into Kakashi's bedroom and and placed the paper and a carefully prepared note next to the bed. His bag already prepared for the final day at the academy and he snuk out of the apartment, leaving Kakashi to face the facts. When Kakashi got up several minutes later, he was aware of something unusual about his room. There was a newspaper and a note sitting on the bed side table. He groggily got up and read the headline. He stopped. He re read it.
 
'Chunin, Jounin and Hokage knocked unconcious by a giant nosebleed.'
 
He then read the note.
 
'You have been served by Uzumaki Naruto.'
 
He quivered in rage as he shouted out his curse.
 
“I'LL GET YOU YET, NARUTO!”
 
This awakened the majority of people in the general vincinity, and since most of them started at sun rise, there was no point going back to sleep, so they got up, fetching the paper and finding the headlines to be interesting, and they proceeded to laugh to their hearts content at the content of the full page article. By the time the students were at the academy, when Naruto walked in, everyone stopped and then burst out laughing. Many calls of things like:
 
“Great job, Naruto!”
 
“That was genius!”
 
And the like could be heard. The door flew open and Iruka entered the room, apartently just controlling himself from attempting to kill Naruto. Naruto smiled sweetly at him.
 
“I hope you learnt your lesson, Iruka-Snesei.”
 
The class laughed again at their teacher's expense, so Iruka decided to just get on with it.
 
“Alright, again, copngratulations on passing. Im; sure you'll all make me prowd to have been your teacher-”
 
Iruka shot a pointed glare at Naruto and the class snickered again.
 
“Now, you lives as a real ninja begin. There will be many difficult missions that you will need to work together for. Now, I will announce the teams.”
 
Everyone sat to attention at this. 'I'm leaving out all non important teams'
 
“Team 7: Yamanaka Ino. Uchiha Sasuke. Haruno Sakura. Your Jounin instructor will be Hatake Kakashi.”
 
Sasuke slammed his head on the table as the two girls began bickering as they did so well..
 
“Team 8: Uzumaki Naruto. Nara Shikamaru. Akimichi Chouji. Your Jounin instructor will by Yuuhi Kurenai.”
 
Naruto choked on his own spit as he began coughing, making everyone look at him. Naruto glanced at Iruka.
 
“Who's our Jounin instructor, Iruka-Sensei?”
 
“Yuuhi Kurenai, Naruto. Is something wrong?”
 
Naruto about the question. Was there something wrong? His crush was going to be his sensei! But then again, they were going to be seeing a lot more of each other. Naruto shook his head, a slight flush tinting his cheeks, which did not go unnoticed by most people near him. She ould have at least warned him...
 
“No, nothing's wrong, Iruka-Sensei.”
 
Iruka nodded and contiuned.
 
“Team 10: Aburame Shino. Hyuga Hinata. Inuzuka Kiba. Your Jounin instructor will be-”
 
“Sarutobi Asuma.”
 
Everyone looked at Nartuo and Iruka's eyes narrowed.
 
“Naruto, how did you know that?”
 
Naruto smiled.
 
“The fact that I can feel his presence just outside the door and that he hasn't been mentioned yet.”
 
Naruto saw the door open and the man walked in.
 
“That's right Naruto. Just thank Kami that you weren't on Kakashi's or my team. I'm going to get you for that.”
 
Naruto smiled lazily at the man as the others recognised who he was and began snickering.
 
“Sure thing, Asuma-Sensei.”
 
Asuma got his team and left. Naruto waving goodbye to Kiba and Shino as they left. Next came Kurenai. As soon as Naruto felt her chakra presense, his cheeks fully flushed and he tried to hide under the table, much to the dismay of the others. When Kurenai stepped inside, she saw people looking between her and a particular place on a bench. Shikamaru whispered to Chouji.
 
“Hey, doesn't she look like the girl Naruto likes, according to his description?”
 
Chouji nodded. The woman smiled at the place Naruto was hiding.
 
“That was a great prank Naruto. I'm Kureni, Team Eight's instructor. Follow me you three.”
 
Shikamaru and Chouji had to practically drag Naruto out. Just as Naruto got to the door, he looked at the last remaining team.
 
“You guys are in for a long wait. Kakashi-Niisan's always two hours late to everything.”
 
The remaining three Genin sweat dropped as Naruto left and closed the door behind him. Once Kurenai had led the team to a nearby tree and she stood up against it while the three sat on a bench in front of it. For the first time, Chouji and Shikamaru got to see the woman Naruto had a crush on. To tell you the truth, she was a stunner. Long silky brunette hair, dazzling ruby red eyes, creamy white skin, perfect body and one HELL of a cleavage. Naruto was trying not to stare at her, but it was hard. Kurenai chuckled at Naruto.
 
“Naruto, I'll never get tired of your pranks.”
 
Naruto blushed more and scratched the back of his head as he looked down. Chouji and Shikamaru were unsure of what to make of Naruto's actions in the classroom concerning their new Sensei.
 
“I think we should introduce ourselves. Although I indirectly know of you from Naruto's descriptions, I want to get to know you personally. So, start with your name, likes, dislikes, hobbies and dreams.”
 
Kurenai looked at Chouji.
 
“You first.”
 
Chouji nodded.
 
“My name is Akimichi Chouji. My likes are eating, hanging out with my friends and playing pranks. My dislikes are people who underestimate others because of their appearance or rank, people who have to pick on one person as a group and Sasuke's fan girls. My hobbies are training, playing with my friends and taste testing food. My dream is to reach my full potential and show the people who doubted me that I'm not a pushover.”
 
Kurenai nodded, and turned to Shikamaru.
 
“My name is Nara Shikamaru. My likes are watching the clouds, playing Shougi with Naruto and sleeping. My dislikes are troublesome things. My hobbies are hanging out with my friends. My dream is to become an average ninja, settle down and have kids.”
 
Kurenai raised and eyebrow at the mention of 'trublesome things', but nodded as she turned to Naruto.
 
“Naruto.”
 
Naruto looked up, trying desperately to maintain his resolve.
 
“My name is Uzumaki Naruto. My likes are ramen, playing Shougi with Shikamaru, hanging out with my friends and...”
 
Naruto broke off at the thought, blushing slightly more heavily before restarting.
 
“My dislikes are arrogant people, and people who look down on others. My hobbies are playing pranks, training and making friends. My dream is to become the Hokage, and make everyone in this village recognise me by surpassing all the ones before me.”
 
Kurenai nodded as she introduced herself.
 
“My name is Yuuhi Kurenai. My likes are talking with friends, dango and caligraphy. My dislikes are others who judge people by their appearances, little orange books and perverts. My hobbies are to train and learn new Genjutsu. My dream, I have not decided on yet.”
 
Kurenai looked at each of them, while Naruto was smiling at the mention of 'little orange books' and perverts. Kurenai grinned at them in a way that made all three boys slightly uncomfortable.
 
“As I'm sure Naruto is aware, the graduation exam was not the actual Genin exam. It only selected those who would be allowed to take the exam. The test given depends on the Jounin. Usually, the test is the same one that their Jounin Sensei gave them as Genin. My test is going to fall into this category. I need all three of you to meet me at training area 19 tomorrow morning, 5 am sharp. Until then, you are dismissed.”
 
The three could have sworn she gave Naruto a wink as she 'poof'ed somewhere else. The three boys got up, and they turned to Naruto.
 
“What kind of a test will this be, Naruto?”
 
Naruto thought about it. Suprisingly, Kurenai had not told Naruto what her test was, but Naruto understood the meaning behind it. Naruto looked at the other two lazily.
 
“I'm not sure of what the actual test is, but as with every one of the tests, they try and get you to be greedy, but the hidden message is always teamwork.”
 
Both Shikamaru and Chouji smiled, which caused Naruto to smile.
 
“We've been working together for 7 years. Teamwork comes easily to us.”
 
Both Chouji and Naruto nodded as they turned to leave. Naruto thought about something.
 
“You two want to go get some lunch?”
 
They both nodded as Naruto looked at them.
 
“Ramen ok?”
 
They both smirked. Naruto without his ramen was not Naruto at all. They both nodded and headed to the best place for ramen in Konoha, Ichiraku's.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;
 
Next Morning:
 
At 4:55 am, all three boys turned up at training field 19 with an assortment or weapons. Naruto had barely any sleep for being paranoid about Kakashi getting his revenge on him while he slept, but he was used to going several nights without sleep. They sat under a tree and waited. Right as Naruto's watched beeped to indicate it waqs 5am, Kurenai appeared in a puff of smoke in frnot of them. Naruto smiled at her.
 
“As always, on time, unlike Niisan.”
 
Kurenai smirked at this before the three boys stood up. Kurenai grinned at them and reached into a pocket, withdrawing two bells. Naruto sweat dropped.
 
“How popular is the bell test?”
 
The other two looked at him while Kurenai flashed them a smile.
 
“Most of the current Jounins use it. Naruto, why don't you explain how this works to them?”
 
Naruto sighed.
 
“There are two bells. This test has a 66 percent failure rate for the graduating teams. Only three teams will make it. We have to get a bell from Kurenai-Sensei before the time she specifies. The one who doesn't get a bell will be sent back to the academy to redo their final year of training.”
 
The other two frowned. This wasn't what Naruto told them, but he looked at Kurenai as she smiled.
 
“Exactly. You have until noon to get these bells.”
 
She put an alarm clock on the stump and started it.
 
“Go!”
 
All three boys dissaperared. Naruto looked at the two next to him from their hiding place.
 
“Forget what I said back there. The main reason for this test is teamwork. If we can prove to her that we can work together as a team, we'll pass, no matter if we get the bells or not.”
 
Both boys nodded and Chouji turned to Naruto and Shikamaru while they began planning. Once they had come up with a viable stratagy, Naruto reached into a sash on his belt and withdrew what looked to be a pair of knuckledusters that had knives attached to the end of it. Naruto put them on, channeling chakra to the knives and the boys watched as the knives blades were surrounded by an extended chaka blade. Chouji looked stunned, and Shikamaru raised a lazy eyebrow.
 
“What's with the knives, Naruto?”
 
Naruto looked at them.
 
“I have an elemental affinity for wind, as does Asuma-Sensei. He uses a pair of these knives too. I'll create the initial distractin while Chouji, you basically keep Kurenai dodging. While this is happening, Shikamaru, you get into position for the Kagemane, ok? I'll get the bells.”
 
The other two nodded ans Naruto turned to where he could sense Kurenai. Naruto focused to make sure it wasn't a Genjutsu of some sort and nodded. He extended the fingers on one hand and closed them slowly.
 
'5...
 
4...
 
3...
 
2...
 
1...
 
GO!'
 
Naruto hurled the knives, one after the other at the tree in front of him. They pierced through the tree, the next and the next, making Kurenai hop out of the way. By now, Chouji had appeared, using his Baika no Jutsu and Nikudan Sensha, as he began carving up the field.
 
“Roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll!”
 
Kurenai had to smirk at Chouji's antics until she realised she couldn't move. She managed to see Shikamaru forming a Rat seal from a nearby tree branch smirking at her, seeing his shadow stretching down the tree trunk and up to her own shadow.
 
“Kageman no Jutsu... Seiko.”
 
Kurenai was aware of Naruto behind her and he walked up to her, removing the bells from her belt.
 
“Sorry, Kurenai-Sensei. But we've been working together for 7 years. Teamwork comes naturally to us.”
 
Shikamaru let Kurenai goas Naruto smiled at her, holding the bells for her to see.
 
“While the other's made fun of Chouji for being overweight, we knew he had the ability to become an excellent ninja. And while Shikamaru was the 'dobe' of the class, according to him, it was just too troublesome to move the pen during class. Shikamaru's actually smarter than me. A hell of a lot smarter. His IQ is about 200.”
 
Kurenai looked at Shikamaru. It was true. Shikamaru had the worst score of his year, but the look on Naruto's face implied he was completely serious. Naruto smiled as his team mates gave him the thumbs up. Kurenai smiled at them.
 
“You saw the real reason for this test. Teamwork. All of you pass. From tomorrow, Team 8 will begin doing missions. Naruto, I trust you don't mind me making you the team captain?”
 
Naruto turned to the others.
 
“If they don't mind, it's ok with me.”
 
They both nodded and smiled so Naruto smiled too. Kurenai looked at each of the three boys.
 
“Congratulations on passing. From what Naruto told me, I had no doubts that you would pass. Meet here at 9 am every morning unless I specify otherwise.”
 
The three nodded and they turned to leave the field, but Kurenai called Naruto back. Naruto motioned the others to keep going, so they did.
 
“What is it Kurenai-Chan?”
 
Kurenai smiled at him as he looked up at her, hanging off her every word. She looked at Naruto.
 
“Naruto, now that you're the team captain, you have several responsibilities.”
 
Naruto nodded, listening to her.
 
“You are responsible for your team's health and status. Do you remember what we've all taught you?”
 
Naruto nodded reciting the phrase that had been drilled into him from the age of 5.
 
“People who disobey the mission directives are trash, however, those who don't take care of their friends are far worse than that.”
 
Kurenai nodded in agreement as she bent down to put her face level with Naruto, smiling at his awkwardness. Everyone in their little group of Jounin friends knew of Naruto's crush on Kurenai. The fact that Naruto tried desperately to hide it made it all the more cute, according to Kurenai. She looked at him, looking at a particular spot on Naruto's mask that was scratched. She looked back at Naruto's eyes.
 
“Naruto, your mask's scratched. Let me check it.”
 
Naruto nodded as he pulled down the mask and was acutely aware of Kurenai kissing his cheek. Naruto turned bright red and started trembling. His crush was giving him a kiss. Naruto could pretty much go onto the next world contently. Kurenai pulled back slowly as she looked into Naruto's eyes, ruby red locking with sapphire blue.
 
“Congratulations, Naruto. You make me prowd.”
 
That did it. Naruto's senses were in overload, still very aware of the slight warmth that Kurenai's lips had left on his cheek and the praise that came with it from the object of his affections. Naruto's body did the only thing it could, which was very uncharacteristic for him. He fainted, much to Kurenai's amusement. Kurenai pulled his mask back up and picked him up, 'poof'ing back to Naruto and Kakashi's house to drop him off.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&
 
Six Days Later:
 
Team 8 had been doing many D rank missions, as well as training by themselves and with others. After th latest mission, Naruto had gone back to Gai for some tips in Taijutsu and met up with not only Gai, but his Genin team, which Naruto had met about a week after they became Gai's team. Naruto waved to the team as he entered their training field. Lee rushed up to him, grabbing his hand in a bone crunching shake.
 
“It is my eternal rival, Naruto-Kun! Your flames of youth burn brightly, my friend!”
 
Naruto smiled, but shuddered internally at the title he had earnt himself from a stupid mistake.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&
 
Flashback: 1 Year Ago:
 
When he first met the team, he saw Lee and the two had made fast friends. Upon seeing Lee use the 'spingtime of youth speech', Naruto was accutely aware of the infection of the 'green spandex flames of youth disease', as both Naruto and Kakashi jokingly called it, was spreading from Gai to Lee. Naruto, snapping out of this memory had noticed that Lee was expecting an answer and Naruto had foolishly said the worst thing he possibly could have without thinking.
 
“Sorry, what was that?”
 
Gai's eyes started burning with the 'flames of youth', who Lee mirrored. Both of Lee's team mates, a chocolate brown eyed, brunette girl and a jet black haired Hyuuga started backing away. Naruto sweat dropped.
 
“Lee, it seems that my eternal rival's annoyingly hip attitude has passed on to his student! It seems you now have your own eternal rival!”
 
“Yosh! I will prove with the explosion of youth that hard work will defeat genius every time!”
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
 
Back in the Present:
 
Naruto shook his hand and winced slightly at the pressure. Despite both Lee and Gai's passionate talks of the 'flames of youth', crying, group hugs and the strange Genjutsu that usually manifested in the form of something that would usually be equated to a romantic scene, such as waves crashing against a rock in the afternoon sunset, that even with the help of Kurenai's training in Genjutsu, Naruto still couldn't figure out how it worked, both of them were actually quite acomplished fighters and excellent Taijutsu sparing partners. Soon enough, Naruto had become friends with the girl, who identified herself as Tenten, and even managed to eventually get under Neji's cool exterior to an extent. Today, Gai was teaching them about opening the Celestial Gates, and a move that can only be used by opening them. After the theory, as well as some tips from both Naruto and Gai, everyone tried. Even though the group knew that Lee had no chakra, he had a suprising nack for opening gates, as did Naruto. Naruto was puzzeled as to why Neji could not open them, considering his clan relied on total control of their chakra, but proceeded to open the first gate. Once he closed it, Gai showed them the move, which shocked even Naruto. The move was a highly destructive, self damaging move, but if you managed to get the enemy with it, they were pretty much garunteed death. Gai gave Naruto two rolls of specially modified medical tape, insisting that he use them to assist with the move. Naruto found that he could control the movement of this medical tape with chakra. Naruto and Lee both undid part of the medical tape around their forearms and aimed for their individual 'targets' which happened to be two rather large logs. Once they opened the first gate, the dissapeared, reappearing inside what would be considered the enemy's guard, giving a savage kick to the log, making it fly into the air. One of the things Naruto, Neji and Gai noticed was that when Lee opened a gate was that his body somehow produced chakra while the gate was open. Using this, both boys controlled the medical tape to wrap around the logs, adding an extremely fast rotation to add extra damage to the impact, slamming the logs into the ground.
 
“Omote Renge!”
 
Both boys fell back, panting from the strain on their bodies as they heard the logs crack and split in half, much to Neji and Tenten's amazement. Lee, having boundless energy, jumped up, cheering and shouting while Naruto just shook his head, trying to get over the pain his body was feeling.
 
“Stamina freak...”
 
Lee smiled, giving him a 'Nice Guy Pose' and Naruto shuddered as he saw Lee's teeth sparkle. After training with the three for the day, Naruto went home, silently dreading whatever foolish mission they would get tomorrow.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&
 
Next Morning, Midday:
 
After a 30 minute meeting, Kurenai had taken the team to recive their mission, much to the chargrin of the team, it was time to find that dreaded cat, Tora again. Naruto just barely supressed a groan. This was the FOURTH time this week alone they had to retrieve the Daimyo's Wife's damn cat. Naruto seriously wish he could just kick the cat clear into the middle of next week so as to avoid it for at least one week. When they had caught it, the cat attempted to scratch Naruto until he directed a non too small amount of chakra infused hatred at the cat, who quietend down immediately. Shikamaru had sighed.
 
“Mendokuse...”
 
When they reported their success to mision command and handed over the offending kiten to the Daimyo's wife, she started violently squeezing the cat against her face. Chouji smiled as he put more chips into his mouth.
 
“No wonder it runs away so often...”
 
Naruto was chanting a mantra to himself, which the others heard.
 
“Hug it harder. Hug it harder. Hug it harder.”
 
Both boys smirked and Kurenai chuckled. The woman left the payment for the Hokage and left the room with a very distressed cat. The Hokage smiled at them.
 
“Team, 8. Your missions for today include babysitting an elder's grandson, shopping in a nearby town, diging up the potatoes-”
 
Naruto sighed and shook his head before speaking the other three's opinions.
 
“Old man, do you realise the content of the missions you're giving us? I really don't see how these could be classified as 'missions' for ninja. These are tasks that should be deligated to regular civilians. A ninja is supposed to handle his inventory carefully, not squander it on things that they could be used for something that would better suit their purpose.”
 
Iruka was going to shout out at Naruto, but his logic was sound. There really was no answer to Naruto's request other than to admit that he was right. The Hokage sighed and took a puff of his pipe, reaching into the stack of paper marked 'C'. He handed a scroll to Kurenai, giving them a breif summary of the mission.
 
“The Wave Country has sent a person to request protection from thugs and bandits as he completes the bridge he is working on. You can come in now.”
 
The door opened, and the team turned to see a thickset man most liekly in his fifties. His skin was very tanned, indicating he worked outside most of his life. He reeked of alcohol and the bottle of sake in his hand proved it. He took another swig as he looked over the people that were assigned to protect him.
 
“What's the idea of giving me three runts for protection? Are you sure they can do it? The blonde looks super stupid.”
 
Naruto smiled lazily as he looked at the man.
 
“You know, understimating a person is a grave mistake that will you usually won't live to regret.”
 
The old man stopped drinking a grin spreading over his face.
 
“I like you kid. I was half expecting you to lose your cool. Sorry about that.”
 
Naruto waved his hand dismissively.
 
“No harm done. We'll protect you until you complete the bridge.”
 
The man nodded as he thanked the Hokage and led them to the front of the Hokage Tower. Kurenai looked at each of them.
 
“We're leaving in half an hour from the South Gate. Prepare yourselves for a several week mission. Go!”
 
The three split, while Kurenai nodded at Tazuna, 'poof'ing away to get her own things, leaving the man to walk towards the South Gate by himself.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&
 
Half an Hour Later:
 
The three boys met up within a minute of each other, seeing Tazuna already there. As the designated half hour expired, Kurenai appeared and the team walked out of the gates towards their destination. Naruto immediately struck up a conversation with Tazuna about the project he was the head of. Tazuna had carefully prepared a story that would leave out any details hinting this mission was anything more than a C class. Naruto smiled when he felt a Genjutsu and looked to see a puddle on the ground. All four ninjas noticed that it was off. It hadn't rained in weeks, and the weather since it last rained had been very sunny with few clouds. They kept walking and both Naruto and Kurenai felt the Genjutsu dispell and two ninjas charge at them. Naruto flicked his trusty knuckleduster blades onto his hands from their hidden pouches in his sleaves and activated the chakra knives. Kurenai smiled at the team.
 
“Go for it.”
 
Tazuna looked up to see two ninjas wearing face masks, cloaks and a gauntlet on opposing arms that were connected via a chain with their eyes right on him. Shikamaru jumped in front of Tazuna, extending his Kagemane to catch the two Chunin level ninja unaware. Naruto charged forwards, slicing the chain connecting the ninja in half while Chouji used his combo to turn into a ball of meat while he began rolling towards them.
 
“Roll, roll, roll, roll, roll!”
 
The ninja looked at Chouji with a look of surpise, fear and a hint of total confusion. Just as Chouji was about to impact them, Shikamaru let go of the Kagemane to insure he didn't recive friendly fire. Chouji squashed the two ninja and came to a stop. Naruto looked at the two ninja who had stars in their eyes. Naruto took out some Ninja wire from his pack, dragging the pair to a tree and tieing them to it. Tazuna looked at the three young ninjas in suprise. No wonder the Hokage had assigned this team to him. These guys were good. Naruto slapped the ninja awake to start questioning them. After he thought he'd gotten all of the info out of them he could, which was very little, he used a Genjutsu to knowch them unconcious for quite some time. Naruto turned to check that his team mates and Sensei were uninjured, and they all turned to Tazuna. Naruto spoke for them.
 
“We really don't mind taking on enemy ninja, but it's not a good idea to hide that info. Judging by the description you gave us of the Wave Country, I can understand the problem with the payment needed for a 'B' or an 'A' rank mission, but if you had told the Hokage of your circumstances, I'm sure you could have come to some agreement.”
 
Tazuna sighed. The boy was smart, no doubt about it. He looked up with a fake smile.
 
“Sorry about that. So, will you still continue the mission?”
 
They all looked to Kurenai who just shrugged.
 
“I may be their Sensei, but if they don't want to, I can't force them.”
 
Tazuna looked at each of them before Naruto's eyes crinkled into a lazy smile.
 
“Not doing something that you know is right is the coward's way. We all want to continue.”
 
Tazuna looked genuinely happy as he led them further down the road towards the Wave.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&
 
Several Hours Later:
 
Tazuna had led them to a boat where another man in a coolie hat was waiting. The man nodded to Tazuna, and when Tazuna introduced the four Konoha ninjas as 'super powerful kids', the man smiled and bowed, introducing himself as Kaji. Once everyone was onboard, Kaji started the motor and they made their way upriver into a thick mist. At an apparently random point, Kaji cute the engine, stating that Gato's men regularly patrolled this area, asking them to keep it down as he brought out an pole and began pushing the boat the last leg of the journey. Soome enough, the silloutte of the bridge came into view. Shikamaru studied it in a calculative fashion, as did Naruto and Kurenai. Chouji looked at it in awe.
 
“That's a large bridge.”
 
Tazuna smiled, keeping his voice low like Chouji had.
 
“Yeah, that's the super bridge I'm building. Once it's completed, the Wave Country will return to it's state of prosperity.”
 
Naruto nodded as they passed under the bridge and arrvied at the shore. They got out and Kaji nodded to them.
 
“This is as far as I can go without being caught. Good luck.”
 
Tazuna nodded.
 
“Take care, friend.”
 
Kaji nodded and began rowing back the way he had come while the others continued on towards the Wave. After several hours of walking, both Naruto and Kurenai stiffened slightly and Naruto hurled a kunai into a bush. After whatever was in there stopped moving, Naruto went to check what the person wanted. When he cleared the bush, he saw a snow white rabbit looking at him glassy eyes. Tazuna raised an eyebrow, but Naruto knew there wa something off. Rabbits that were this coulour only came from one country, and Wave wasn't it. Naruto felt his danger sense tingling and he jumped to the ground, as did Kurenai and Chouji, while Shikamaru took Tazuna down just in time to avoid having their heads spearated from their bodies.
 
The massive sword imbedded itself into a tree and a figure appeared on the hilt, staring at them over his shoulder. Everyone recovered and looked at the man. Kurenai's eyes narrowed at the man.
 
“Momochi Zabuza, 'S' class Nukenin, former member of the Seven Shinobi Swordsmen. This is the last place I expected to run into you.”
 
Zabuza 'hmph'ed and turned around fully, focusing on Kurenai.
 
“Yuuhi Kurenai, Genjutsu Mistress of Konoha, 'A' Rank. I see you've brought some brats with you. How long do you think they'll last?”
 
Kurenai raised an eyebrow.
 
“Longer than you think.”
 
Zabuza raised an eyebrow, that is, if he had one. Instead, the skin where his eyebrow would be just lifted.
 
“You seem to have a lot of confidence in these kids.”
 
Kurenai smiled coldy at Zabuza.
 
“I do, especially since I've trained them.”
 
Zabuza laughed mirthlessly as he yanked the sword out of the three and landed, forming a single hand seal.”
 
“Kiri Gakure no Jutsu.”
 
The light mist around them rapidly intensified into a severe fog, making them incapeable of seeing more than 2 meters in any direction. A disembodied voice floated out from all around them.
 
“8 Points.”
 
Shikamaru and Chouji raised an eyebrow. Naruto smiled.
 
“Silent killing. He's going for the 8 vital points of the human body.”
 
There was laughter from all around them.
 
“You know your stuff kid. Mind telling me what those points are?”
 
Naruto's eyes crinkled up as he recited them.
 
“Liver, Lungs, Spine, Clavical Vein, Jugular Vein, Brain, Kidneys, Heart.”
 
There was more laughter before Naruto felt Zabuza appear right in the middle of there group.
 
“Exactly. Let's see how many I can get on one swipe.”
 
Naruto flashed forward, shoving a Kunai into Zabuza's stomach only to see the wound drip water, and not blood. Naruto cursed his luck.
 
“Mizu Bunshin...”
 
Sure enough, the Bunshin turned to water and splattered onto the ground. Naruto felt another presence behind him. This one was just as weak as the last, so Naruto prepared his plan.
 
“You're not bad for a runt. However, this is where you die.”
 
Zabuza cleaved Naruto, only to find he puffed into smoke.
 
“Kage Bunshin?”
 
Naruto appeared behind Zabuza again, one of Naruto's chakra knives held to his neck.
 
“Yeah. I would have though a Jounin would never have underestimated an opponent. After all, there are kids my age that are stronger than I am.”
 
Naruto was awear of another Zabuza behind him. This one was also a clone, but he felt the real deal appear behind Kurenai. Naruto stood stock still. No matter what he did now, it was highly likely that one of the group would die. Naruto should have seen this coming.
 
“So, you sacrificed pawns until you got me into a false sense of security, and then cornered the queen with yours. I should have seen that.”
 
Zabuza smirked again.
 
“So you play Shougi. Well, you realise without your 'queen', you're stuffed right?”
 
Naruto sighed, slowly taking his knife back from in front of him. Zabuza smirked and gave Kurenai a savage kick to the back, sending her flying into the water. Naruto used both knives to inflict a wound deep enough on the clones to destroy both of them before looking at Kurenai.
 
“Kurenai-Sensei!”
 
Kurenai got to the surface of the water only to see Zabuza wizz behind her and form several seals, trapping her in a prison of water. He looked back at them.
 
“Check mate. Hand over the old man.”
 
Naruto, Chouji and Shikamaru got to their feet. Kurenai looked at them.
 
“The three of you, get out of here! Naruto, I may have trianed you for seven years, but you're still no match for him! Take Tazuna and run!”
 
Naruto sighed.
 
“The second you were captured, we lost that option. If we ran, Zabuza would kill you and then pick us off at his leasure.”
 
Both Chouji and Shikamaru nodded in agrement. Zabuza formed about 10 Mizu Bunshins and sent them to stand around the four of them. Shikamaru bent down and formed his 'thinking' pose. Naruto and Chouji smiled. Whenever Shikamaru formed that pose, he was coming up with a stratergy. After about one minute, Shikamaru opened his eyes and put his hands by his side.
 
“Naruto, I need you to take care of the queen. I'll hold off the pawns with Chouji until you deal with him.”
 
Naruto nodded and readied himself as Shikamaru pulled out 10 kunai, while Chouji prepared to do an old trick. Shikamaru launched the kunai at the clones, who dodged with ease. Chouji focused his chakra to his arms.
 
“Bubun Baika no Jutsu!”
 
Chouji's arms grew massively disproportionate to his body size, and he brought both hands in a swipeing motion, knocking the Zabuza clones back to their original positions where Shikamaru captured them with his clan jutsu that he had extended towards their origianl positions after throwing the kunai.
 
“Kagemane no Jutsu... Seiko.”
 
By now, Naruto had long dissapeared ftom his teammate's position and Zabuza felt the boy's presence behind him, running along the top of the water with chakra knives activated. Zabuza smirked and used his free hand to swipe at the boy, who brought the knives up into a defensive position much like a boxer would. After dodging several swipes, Naruto brought the two knives together and captured the sword in between them. Even though Zabuza was using one hand, Naruto was struggling to keep the blade from cleaving him in half. Naruto started trying to push the blade back before he kicked water up into Zabuza's face, making him shut his eyes out of instinct. The split second was all Naruto needed as he dislodged Zabuza's sword from the deadlock and let gravity do it's work. Zabuza was still putting a heavy amount of pressure on the sword, and when he felt the resistance dissapear, he stumbled slightly, but not enough to break the prison. Naruto took care of that by reappearing behind Zabuza, giving him a boot to the small of the back. Zabuza stumbled and pulled his hand free of the prison, therby breaking the jutsu, releasing Kurenai. He looked up at Naruto with a wicked glint in his eyes.
 
“You're good kid. To be able to take me on in armed Taijutsu, even if I only had one hand free and live without a scratch proves that you're good. No wonder your Sensei has faith in you.”
 
Naruto smiled lazily at him distancing himself from Zabuza. Kurenai joined him and they both stared at Zabuza, who stared right back. They both waited for the other to make the first move. Finally, as the splash of water hit the ground that indicated Zabuza's clones had been defeated, the real one started forming hand seals. Naruto instantly recognised the jutsu as one he had seen Kakashi perform not too long ago. However, he still did not know how to perform it, sho he used a separate jutsu.
 
“Suiton: Suiyuudan no Jutsu!”
 
“Katon: Karyuu Endan no Jutsu!”
 
Kurenai had also performed a Genjutsu, making her dissapear from the naked eye, leaving the two jutsus to take form and collide. The dragon of water headed straight for the dragon of fire, creating a huge explosion of steam and super heated particles of water. Kurenai had used this time to reappear behind Zabuza with a kunai to his neck.
 
“It's over Zabuza. Check mate.”
 
Zabuza started to relax, knowing he had lost when he felt two senbon needles peirce his neck, and he dropped to the ground, or in this case, the surface of the water and began sinking until a young child with a mask, signifying he was either an ANBU or Hunter nin appeared, pulling Zabuza's body out of the water.
 
“Indeed it is checkmate. I have been hunting Zabuza for several months now. He had proven illusive. Thank you for your assistance.”
 
Kurenai nodded slowly as the boy put the body over his shoulder. Naruto raised a lazy eyebrow.
 
“So, you going to get rid of the body? I can see it would be hard to do on water, but why not do it over there where my friends are?”
 
Naruto motioned over to Chouji, Shikamaru and Tazuna. The hunter nin looked there and then gave a slight shurg, dissapearing. Naruto cursed. The boy had left the area.
 
“Great. The boy took Zabuza somewhere else. I get the feeling that he wasn't what he claimed he was.”
 
Kurenai nodded as they went back to shore, heading the last part of the way to the main village of the Wave.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&
 
That Afternoon:
 
Tazuna had lead the group to a house that looked slightly better quality than the rest, which were not exactly what the group would call 'houses'. Tazuna hadn't been kidding when he said this area was poor. He opened the front door and led them in. Tazuna led them into a room that seemed to be a living room, dining room and kitchen rolled into one. A young woman with long black hair came inside.
 
“Dad, are you ok?”
 
Tazuna nodded smiling.
 
“I'm fine, Tsuname, thanks to these super guys. They saved me twice on the way here.”
 
Tsunami smiled at the three boys and the woman.
 
“Thank you. The bridge is our last hope to get out of this poverty. If we lost dad, that would be the end of it.”
 
Kureani introduced themselves to Tsunami as she sat them down, making everyone a cup of tea and chatting about the mission.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&
 
That Night:
 
Team 8 and the three occupants of the house were sitting around the table eating dinner. Shikamaru, Chouji and Naruto were talking about training, as well as some other things. Out of no where, the boy who was apparently Tsunami's son slammed his hands on the table catching everyone's attention.
 
“Why do you bother trying so hard? You can't defeat Gatoh's men! If you go up against him, you'll just die!”
 
Naruto just smiled at him.
 
“Inari, do you believe in heroes?”
 
The three owners of the house looked at Naruto warily, but he continued on.
 
“There are two types of heroes in this world. Regular heroes, and Matyrs. Being either type of hero has it's advantages and disadvantages. The former has to be smart enough to stay alive, or else they'll become a Matyr. However, Matyrs usually set an example to the people around them that they are not afraid to die to protect those close to them, and also have a dying wish for those close to him or her. Which type do you think I am?”
 
Inari looked at Naruto for a few seconds.
 
“Matyr?”
 
Naruto shook his head.
 
“I can't become a Matyr yet. Not until I achieve my dream. Until my dream is achived, I will live life in a way that will leave me with no regrets. You should do the same.”
 
Inari was shocked that Naruto had used the line his father used. However, Inari still wasn't finished.
 
“But how would you know what it's like for someone close to you to die? I bet you've lived a sheltered life!”
 
Naruto shook his head.
 
“For the first four years of my life, I had nothing. No one. I was hunted as a monster by mobs of villagers, who took special pleasure in beating me to near death on my birthday. On my fourth birthday, I found someone precious to me. He saved me from the regular mob and even adopted me. From that moment on, I vowed to protect the people important to me with all my strength. Inari, we're the exact opposite in some ways. I started with no family and gained them, while you started with a full family and lost some. Neither of us have had it easy, but we should never judge another by first appearances.”
 
Everyone except Kurenai was shocked speechless. Naruto had lived that kind of a life, yet was as happy as he was? Even though Chouji and Shikamaru had gotten an answer they were secretly wondering about, it left them with more questions than answers. Inari slowly stopped crying looking at Naruto who was smiling at him. Inari's lips formed the barest hint of a smile as he rubbed the tears from his eyes.
 
“Sorry, Naruto...”
 
Naruto waved a hand dismissvely.
 
“No problem.”
 
Tazuna and Tsunami were almost floored. Naruto, in the space of a minute had completely changed Inari's beliefs, and waved off his appology for the outburst like he was used to such things every day? This boy was by no stretch of the imagination ordinary. Naruto got up and bent down and looked Inari in the face.
 
“Inari, if you want to stop people precious to you dying, grow strong enough to protect them.”
 
Naruto pulled several shuriken, kunai and a coil of ninja wire from his ninja pack and handed them to Inari, who looked at them like it was a godsend. Naruto gave Inari a warning.
 
“Be careful how you use them. They can very seriously hurt people. Make sure you get at least a year's practice with them before you even think of brining them out near people. Practice with them in an area where you're sure no people are around, ok?”
 
Inari nodded again as Nartuo ruffled his hair, standing up and putting his plate in the sink.
 
“Do you mind if I excuse myself? I'm feeling rather tired from today's fights.”
 
Everyone else in the room was still trying to recover from the revilations of the past several minutes, but Tazuna nodded dumbly.
 
“No... No problem...”
 
Naruto left the group to head to the boy's room and stripped down to his boxers, before taking a quick shower to get rid of the sweat and grime covering his body. As he walked out of the bathroom with a towel around his waist, he acutely aware of Kurenai just entering her room when she saw Naruto come out. They stared at each other for a moment, not sure what to say or do. Kurenai saw Naruto's well toned body and begun to blush as a few perverted thoughts ran though her mind. Naruto, seeing Kurenai blush, blushed in return. Both of them kept getting redder until Naruto turned and faced the bedroom.
 
“Gomenasai, Kurenai-Chan...”
 
Kurenai shook her head.
 
“I should be the one appologising, Naruto...”
 
They both shrugged it off and went into their rooms. Chouji and Shikamaru came in soon after Naruto had changed into his sleep wear. Both boys saw Naruto staring dreamily at the ceiling and knew that look anywhere. It was the same look Naruto had on his face the day after they had passed the Genin exam. Both boys ignored it and got changed before getting into their fuutons and turned out the lights.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&
 
Next Morning:
 
Naruto was the first awake, as he usually was, just before dawn. Naruto got out of bed, dressed and crept out of the room so as not to wake the others. He stepped outside and jumped onto the roof to watch the unobstructed view of the sun rising. He became aware of Kurenai walking out of the house. She saw him and jumped up next to him, taking a seat. After a minute, Kurenai broke the silence.
 
“What you did for Inari yesterday was really kind.”
 
Naruto sighed.
 
“But it was all true...”
 
Kurernai chuckled. That was practically Naruto's standard answer to all praise for his support of others.
 
“I know, and that's what made Inari make a change for the better. You're really unusual Naruto. Not many people could do that sort of thing in under a minute.”
 
Naruto smiled at the praise. He unintentionally leant his head on her shoulder, which she didn't resist and they watched the sun make it's first appearance over the horizon, turning the sky from black to an odd purple, indicating twilight before it slowly turnd to red, orange, yellow, and finally blue. By now, the rest of the house was up, so Naruto took his head off her shoulder, blushing a bit before they hopped down, going inside for breakfast. Once everyone was at the table, the mood was much lighter than last night. In fact, Inari was shovelling down his food with gusto usually seen by famished people. After everyone had finished, Tsunami took the plates and began washing up. Kurenai turned to Tazuna.
 
“From what I've been able to figure out last night, Zabuza may have been put into just a near death state.”
 
Tsunami let a plate dropp from her fingers which shattered on the ground while Tazuna let the chopstick in his hand clatter to the table while Inari looked at her. Naruto nodded in agreement.
 
“The weapon the boy used were questionable. Normally, senbon needles are used in medical acupuncture, and the chances of getting a kill in two needels is for all intents and puropses, zero. The only way you could achive something like that is if you trained from a young age using solely needles and had an incredible understanding of the human anatomy.”
 
Shikamaru nodded in agreement, adding his own two cents.
 
“From what I know of how ANBU and Hunter Nins work, once they kill their target, they are required to destroy the body on the spot, taking back something like the head as proof of the kill. Reguardless of the fact that Zabuza died on the water, Naruto had told the boy to go to the shore we were on, which was the nearest stable ground, but he dissapeared. I'd say he was actually working with Zabuza.”
 
Both Naruto and Kurenai nodded in agreement. Tazuna was vissably shaking, but Naruto smiled at him.
 
“He was lucky to get away last time. The only thing that saved him was the boy. Now that we know about him, it won't happen again. From an injury like that, he won't be getting out of bed for at least another half a week. Even then, he won't attack us for another few days until he gets his strength back.”
 
All the other ninjas in the room nodded to show they agreed with the analysis. Tazuna sighed.
 
“Well, at least by that stage, the bridge should just about be complete.”
 
They chatted a bit more before Tazuna brought out a list of things that he needed doing. Some things involved getting supplies for the bridge, such as handtools, screws, bolts and nuts. Others included buying some groceries for dinner that night. Kurenai took stock of the list and asigned each person duties. Chouji went to get the groceries while Shikamaru went to get the supplies for the bridge. Kurenai opted to guard the bridge which left Naruto to guard the house. Naruto smiled as he turned to Inari.
 
“Well, since I'm here, I can help you practice with the things I gave you.”
 
Inari hugged Naruto and ran off to get the kunai, shuriken and wire. Once he had returned, Naruto looked at Tsunami.
 
“Tsunami-San, we won't be going far, however, if anything happens, either drop or thow this to the ground, ok?”
 
Naruto handed Tsunami a brown ball which she took.
 
“What is it, Naruto?”
 
“It's a flash bomb. I'll see it from a mile off. Remember, whatever you do, close your eyes as you throw it. Otherwise, you'll end up temporarily blinded.”
 
Tsumai nodded slowly and put the ball in her dress pocket and Naruto led Inari out the door to a nearby tree. Making sure no one was around, Naruto began instructing Inari on how to throw each impliment and also a few things he could do with the wire. By the time it was dusk, Inari was amazed at the patience Naruto had with Inari's constant stuff ups. Naruto stood up and packed away his own gear.
 
“Come on, Inari, it's almost dinner time.”
 
Inari stood up.
 
“Ossu!”
 
Inari grabbed his weapons and followed Naruto back to the house just in time to see Kurenai and Tazuna returning as well.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&
 
About a Week Later:
 
For the next 5 or so days, everything was pretty much the same. On the fifth day, Naruto was waiting for Inari to arrive at the tree when he felt the flash bomb go off. Naruto stiffened and ran to the house to see that Tsunami was being dragged out of the house by two thugs while Inari was hurling his kunai and shuriken at them, only half of them hitting them, which both of them expertly blocked with their katanas. Inari, now out of weapon, charged at them blindly, letting out a war cry as he went. Naruto pumped chakra to his feet to increase his speed and just managed to replace Inari with a nearby piece of wood as the thugs sliced the piece of wood to pieces. Both of them were awear of a presnece behind them, but neither of them were able to turn around before they were delt a severe blow to the backs of the neck, knocking them unconcious for quite some time. Naruto looked at Inari, smiling.
 
“Inari, thanks to that, I was able to save both you and your mum. I need you to do something. Get the villagers and whatever weapons you can get and come to the bridge. Today, Gatoh is going down.”
 
Inari nodded and saluted Naruto as Naruto brought his hands together in a seal muttering 'kai'. The weights on his arms and legs expelled thei chakra, making Naruto able to move much faster. Naruto blurred out of existance and headed towards the bridge as fast as he could.
 
“I have to make it in time...”
 
Just as Naruto got to the bridge, he saw that the group had just gotten there, the unconcious bodies of the workers scattered over the bridge. The mist started thickening quickly as Zabuza and the boy appeared in front of the group. Naruto waited to see what would happen and plan an ambush. Chouji was quickly deligated to taking care of Tazuna, while Shikamaru tried in vain to match up to Haku's speed. Kurenai went up against Zabuza. On the wole, Haku was fairing quite well against Shikamaru while Kurenai was holding her own against Zabuza. Just as the Haku was about to land the killing blow, Naruto blured in front of Shikamaru and punched Haku in the face, sending the boy at least 20 meters back. Haku got up and looked at Naruto.
 
“You are that boy from a week ago...”
 
Naruto nodded.
 
“I always thought there was something strange about you.”
 
Haku pulled out a senbon while Naruto pulled out his loveable knuckleduster knives. Naruto noticed that he was surrounded by Zabuza clones. Naruto smirked and slashed them all across the chest or stomach in under a second, watching them splatter to the ground. Kurenai smiled.
 
“Finally took of your weights, Naruto?”
 
Naruto nodded.
 
“Yeah. I wouldn't have made it here in time if I hadn't.”
 
Zabuza chuckled.
 
“Seems like you've got a match for your speed, Haku.”
 
“Indeed, Zabuza-San.”
 
Haku charged forwars, as did Naruto. Knuckleduster met Senbon as they tested each other's strength before spinning around, trying to find an opening in the other's defense. Neither of them found one, so they clashed again. And again. Finally, Naruto blocked Haku's kunai with one hand.
 
“Now that I have one of your hand's occupied, I am at an advantage. The first part was the water from the clones littering the ground. This is the second part.”
 
Naruto watched in amazement as the boy started doing one handed seals. The water rose up, forming a dome of water drops, which turned into water senbon, which froze and hovered ominously around Naruto.
 
“This is it.”
 
Haku sent the ice senbon into Naruto, making a cloud of fine motar like dust cover Naruto and Haku. Tazuna gasped but Shikamaru, Chouji and Kurenai smiled. When the dust leared, Naruto had a knife to Haku's neck. Haku turned around to try and block the knife, but Naruto kicked Haku in the back, sending him sprawling. Zabuza sighed.
 
“You know you're going to get beaten like this, Haku.”
 
“I know, Zabuza-San.”
 
Haku got up and looked at Naruto. Naruto felt the air around him drop at least 10 degrees so he discretely replaced himself with a Kage Bunshin he had been keeping out of the fight in case something like this happened. The water around the clone began forming panels which promptly froze and formed a barrier of mirrors. Haku melted into one of the mirrors and appeared in all of them.
 
“This is my true speed. There is no way you can match this.”
 
The clone just sighed, hoping this jutsu would work like it was supposed to. He forced his chakra into his inner most coils and concerntraited. He let it all free in an instant, turing the clone into a living bomb. The mirrors shattered and Haku was sent flying. Everyone looked at Naruto in facination of the jutsu. The real Naruto appeared beside Shikamaru.
 
“Kage Bunshin Daibakuha.”
 
Kurena smiled at Naruto, amzed with his progress. Zabuza saw this distraction and held Kurenai around the neck. Naruto looked in horror as Kurenai gasped. He was strangling her.
 
“Not a good trade, was it? A pawn for a queen. You lose, brat.”
 
Zabuza stabbed Kurenai in the stomach with a kunai and threw her to the side like a piece of trash. Naruto reappeared beside Kurenai, who was breathing sharply and blood poured out of her stomach. She looked at Naruto in pain, sorrow and regret.
 
“I'm sorry... Naruto...”
 
“Don't... You can't... Not yet...”

Kurenai painfully raised a hand to Naruto's face, brushing her hand against it.
 
“I'm sorry... Naruto...”
 
With that, Kurenai fell limp, as good as dead. Naruto's emotions stopped. He was staring as the last vestigases of life of the one and only woman he would ever love slip away. Zabuza laughed.
 
“First death, brat? Get used to it.”
 
Naruto lowered his head and hugged Kurenai to him, willing her to come back to life. The body remained motionless as Zabuza turned to the others.
 
“Now that she's dead, you lot will die just as easily.”
 
Shut up.”
 
Zabuza, as well as everyone else stopped at the voice. They turned back to it's source to see blood red chakra pouring out of Naruto. Zabuza stared at Naruto in a mixture of facination and horror.
 
You killed her, you bastard. You have no idea how much she meant to me! I'll kill you! HRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!”
 
The chakra exploded off Naruto, making everyone stumble back at the sheer magnatude of it. Even the water of the river sent shockwaves out from Naruto's position above it while the bridge around Naruto began cracking and buckling under him. When Naruto turned to face Zabuza, everyone's blood ran cold. Naruto's eyes were no longer the calm blue they were used to. They were blood red and they screamed bloody murder. The chakra around Naruto began to form a single helix and then condensed about ten meters above him, forming the face of a fox. The chakra subsided and Naruto hunched over. Tears spilling from his eyes.
 
You think you're a demon? You're just a pathetic piece of trash! Why don't you find out what a true demon can do! Ha!”
 
Naruto thrust his fist forward, sending a wave of rock and dust at Zabuza, bliding him before Naruto charged in, landing a sickening combo to Zabuza's face, chest and stomach ending with a kick to the chin, which sent him flying back. Zabuza landed in time to see Naruto jump down from on top, slamming into Zabuza's head with both fists, sending Zabuza straight through the bridge and into the water below. Naruto let out a primal roar of angish, fury and hatred. He jumped off the side of the bridge and proceeded to beat Zabuza to a pulp. Every time Zabuza managed to cast a jutsu to try and keep the boy at bay, Naruto just ran full force into it and blew the jutsu to pieces and kept going as if nothing impeded him. Zabuza quickly realised that this kid was going to kill him, and there wasn't a thing he could do about it. Naruto procceeded to slash and hack Zabuza to pieces before he went in for the killing blow. However, it didin't land, at least, not on it's expected target. Haku had jumped in to take the blow for Zabuza from an ice mirror. Naruto's hand went straight through the boy's chest while Haku grabbed Naruto's hand to try and keep him there. Naruto growled in fustration as he ripped his arm out of Haku and threw him to the side, concerntraiting on his main target. Naruto decided a modified version of the Omote Renge would suit the situation just fine. He dissaperaed and kicked Zabuza by the chin straight up, making him crash through another place in the bridge. When Naruto jumped back up, he saw that Zabuza was dieing, and there was no chance to survive. Naruto walked up to him, lifting up the man by the belt that held his sword to his back.
 
A pawn and the king for a queen. In terms of Shogi, we won. However, I'm going to make sure you feel the pain I am. I'm going to break your heart.”
 
Naruto reached his fist back, and began charging chakra to it before he shoved his hand straight through Zabuza's chest making the man drop dead in Naruto's arm. Naruto threw Zazuza over the side. Now, with the object of his rage dead, Naruto's real senses started returning. His eyes turned from red to blue and the red chakra stopped as he fell to his knees and began sobbing. Everyone became aware of some laughing from the incomplete end of the bridge. They turned to see a large group of thugs as well as a fat man with one arm in plaster laughing.
 
“I always thought Zabuza was nothing but a kawaii little demon. Seeing your figh with him, I'm convinced of it. Oh well, I was going to kill him after he had done his job anyway. Hiring ninja from villages is too expensive, and they tend to speak out against th type of work I give them, so renegade nins like Zabuza and his pet are perfect. Then, when I'm finished with them, I just let them wear each other out fighting normal ninja while these guys take care of the rest. It's a great-”
 
He didn't get to finish the sentence as an arrow lodged itself in his forehead, making him drop to the ground, dead. Naruto turned to see Inari and the entire wave village with all sorts of makeshift weapons.
 
“You won't take another step closer to this village! If you hurt another one of our friends, we'll stop you with everything we have!”
 
The villagers raised their weapons in the air, giving a roar of approval. The thugs were indecicive now. Naruto decided to tip the scales further in their favour. He had only a little chakra left, as using the Kyuubi's chakra was tiring to say the least. Naruto formed about thirty Kage Bunshins with the last of his chakra and the thugs decided ti was a good time to take a hike. Most of them scrambled down the net that their boat was conneted to, or the more impatient ones just dived off. Naruto dispelled the clones and he fell to his knees. He then remebered Kurenai and forced himself to go and check on her. Just as he got there, he collapsed, the last of his chakra expended and entered a deep sleep.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&
 
A Few Days Later:
 
Naruto awoke in a bed inside an unfamiliar place. Naruto triend to get his barings before he rmeembered the events of the bridge. He sat bolt upright, his eyes wide with fear.
 
“Kurenai-Chan!”
 
Naruto looked around to see several people looking at him with shock. One of the people, an old man came and checked up on him.
 
“Are you alright, Naruto-San? You should have been out for quite a few more days-”
 
Naruto ripped the bed coveres off and started looking around frantically.
 
“Where is she?”
 
“Naruto, keep it down, this is a hospital...”
 
Naruto froze. He went pulled the curtain out of the way that separated his bed from the next and saw Kurenai laying there with a mildly irritated look on her face. Not thinking, Naruto lunged and grabbed her into a hug, much to the dismay of the doctors.
 
“Kurenai-Chan!”
 
Kurneai froze and Naruto realised that her stomach was still quite tender, so he got off her, grinning sheepsihly, scratching the back of his head.
 
“Gomenasi, Sensei...”
 
Kurenai smiled at Naruto.
 
“Don't worry, Naruto. We just don't have your rate of healing.”
 
Naruto smiled again as both Shikamaru and Chouji came into the room. Chouji was munching on a bag of chips while Shikamaru made their presence known.
 
“What's all this troublesome noise?”
 
Definitely no suprises there. The doctor gave Naruto and Kurenai a final check up before exiting the room. All of them sat around Kurenai's bed, a heavy tension in the air. Finally, Naruto sighed.
 
“I guess I owe you guys an explination.”
 
Kurenai raised an eyebrow.
 
“Think they can handle the truth, Naruto?”
 
Naruto looked at her, then at each of the other two. Naruto decided to make them guess by providing the barest facts.
 
“I've told you that my birthday is October 10th, right?”
 
They both nodded.
 
“I'm the same age as you two are.”
 
Chouji nodded again, not understanding where this was going. Shikamaru on the other hand, had a fairly good idea.
 
“Naruto, could you show us your face?”
 
Naruto sighed. No going back now. Naruto pulled down the face mask to show the others his three wisker marks on each cheek. Shikamaru nodded in understanding.
 
“It wouldn't have anything to do with the Kyuubi, would it?”
 
Naruto nodded and pulled the mask back up.
 
“That's right. On the day I was born, the Kyuubi was defeated. Not, killed, defeated. His soul was ripped out of his body and he was sealed inside a new born infant. Me.”
 
Shikamaru nodded slowly as did Chouji. Now, the tidbits Naruto had given them on his past all made sense. The orphanage, the beatings, why his birthday was the worst day of the year. Naruto looked at them with eyes full of desperation. Shikamaru sighed.
 
“You're so troublesome, Naruto.”
 
Naruto saw Shikamaru smiling and Chouji offered him the bag of chips.
 
“I don't care if you're the container, you're still the Naruto we've always known. Just remind me not to get you angry, ok?”
 
The four of them laughed at the joke. This had gone down far better than Naruto could have ever hoped for. As they stopped laughing, Naruto turned serious again.
 
“Even though you know, this information is top secret. You two aren't even supposed to know. Not even what my face looks like.”
 
They both nodded in understanding, while Shikamaru muttered his signature word 'troublesome' again.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&
 
Nearly a Week Later:
 
Kurenai had been cleared from hospital, or the medical shack, in this instance and they had showed up at the bridge to see that it was now completed. Tazuna and the rest of the villagers were there to see them off. Tazuna smiled at them.
 
“You guys were super. Thanks to you, the bridge is now complete, Gatoh is dead and we can get our lives back on track. We don't know how we can repay you...”
 
Naruto smiled.
 
“Just make the Wave Country into something that won't waste the effort we went through.”
 
Naruto looked at Inari who was trying to hold back the tears. Naruto smiled at him.
 
“Inari, just because you said you wouldn't cry anymore doesn't mean you can't cry because you're happy. Remember, a ninja who keeps their emotions suppressed at all times is no longer human.”
 
Inari smiled at Naruto.
 
“It's ok for you to cry too!”
 
Naruto nodded.
 
“Yeah.”
 
They said their final goodbyes and Team 8 began their trek back to Konoha. One of the people beside Tazuna looked at him.
 
“Tazuna-San, we still haven't named the bridge yet.”
 
Tazuna smiled.
 
“You're right. I think we should call it the Great Naruto Bridge. Naruto changed the heart of Inari, and he changed the hearts of the villagers.”
 
Everyone agreed that the name was perfect and so they went back to rebuilding thei lives.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
 
A/N: YATTA! Another chapter done. Next chapter will kick off the Chunin Exams. No REAL A/N to put down here. Well, until next time my avid readers!
 
Ja ne,
 
Specula.