Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Rubies & Sapphires ❯ Return of a Hero ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Yo! Oh and btw, you should have seen this coming, but when Naruto gets back this chapter, he's somewhere between Sannin and Kage level without Kyuubi's chakra. Screaming 'OMG OVERPOWER'D'? I don't give a damn. Sarutobi was already Kage level at age 12, yet I don't see you screaming 'OMG NERF!' at him. Don't like that? Bugger off. It's my fic and I'll do with it as I wish. 'This is logical and believable to everyone... Except gay people.' - Joel Dawson. Also, this chapter is going to be like the first chapter. Lot's of close together time skips that are only about two weeks apart at most, because it's not really an important chapter, but it's still necessary. The Jounin Exam itself, however, will be full of detail. Once I complete this part of the story, which will be after the Jounin Exams 'Yup, that's right. This story's going to be a two or three parter. Once I finish this part of it, I'll go back to updating the other two as well as this one. So possibly one chapter for every story every 4 or 5 days.'
 
You know something? There's only one Ichigo x Yoruichi fic on this site... For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, Ichigo is the main character of Bleach and Yorichi is a semi main character. It has a grand total of 476 words... It makes me sad... I would write a fic, however, I do not know their personalities well enough yet to write one as convincingly as I can with a Naruto fic. Can someone write one please? Like, a good one? I'd wub you forever...
 
Also, it seems that 90 or more percent of all the people who are flaming me have favorite stories that are mostly from Harry Potter section and have written none of their own... Figures. Kiddies, go back to using your magic wands and wizards hats and stop ruining the rest of the site with your useless cries for attention in the form of trolling and flaming. If this is what I get from Harry Potter fans in the Naruto section, I'd hate to see what I got for a fic in the Harry Potter section itself... It's making me shudder at the thought... Perhaps they should make people who have not posted a 10k word story unable to review.
 
Oh, and in this, Gaara's father died from an unknown illness. Also, Akatsuki hasn't shown up yet to abduct Gaara. As a side note, the world of Naruto is a lot more technologically advanced than you think. They have mp3 players, TVs, Video Game Consoles and Laptops. Where am I getting all this from? The first three can all be seen in one of the closing songs for Naruto. It's called 'Speed' by Analog Fish. As for the laptop? I've seen some of the medical equipment in canon. That stuff's way more powerful than a laptop, however, I have seen an actual laptop during the fanon filler arc to the Star Village. If I wanted to, I could even bring trains, cars, blimps, and giant moving command centers into it. However, the last lot would ruin the story. So, don't cry out to me 'they didn't have those in Naruto!' Because they did. I refuse to belive that a poverty stricken village like the Star has access to technology that none of the five great nations do. No amount of logic or reasoning could explain that. So, from now on, Don't winge when you see one in there.
 
As a final note, it seems someone else has gained access to my account. For example, when I logged off last night, I had 15 or so people on my block list, and when I checked it this morning, I had well over 50. Unless the computer manages to add them by itself, someone is using my account without my knowledge. I could find out who, but doing so would mean I'd be charged with hacking Fan Fiction's database to find out who logged onto my account and when... So, until then, I can just change my PW often enough that you won't ge it again.
 
Comments/Suggestions/Questions:
 
Fan Fiction Section:
 
Shadow of Archon: Um... Naruto has never gone toe to toe with Itachi when he knew Hiraishin... The only time he faced him was when he was still learning it.
 
maxhrk: Sorry, but age has nothing to do with it. In my fic, as I stated, Naruto loathes traitors. Especially people who would betray their village for an obsession with a member of the opposite sex or some other such trivial reason. Also, I think both Kakashi and Naruto are the only two decent people on team seven.
 
Failing Mentality: Well, I actually use neither. I use Australian English. As far as I can tell, it's very very simmilar to British English, but there are some minor differences. As for the things Naruto does while away... I won't talk about them while he's away. I'll give little snippits of info, not the whole thing though. The whole Sasuke thing is kind of hard to describe atm. Since the Suna/Oto invasion never happened, Orochimaru never lost his arms. In my mind, Sasuke's soul is still in his own body while Orochimaru trains him to increase his chakra capacity to a decent level before taking over. I'm very tempted to let him do it too, just so Naruto gets to kill him. Read the debreifing of Naruto and Jiraiya to find out the answer to the Kyuubi chakra question. As for the 'prize', I'm not going to spoil it... I hope I did it in a beliveable fashion...
 
En Statsu Koku Ryuu Ha: Long enough name there? Anywho, I agree with you. It's definitely an obsession of some description. It's missing maybe one or two key elements that would be needed to identify it as OCD. As for contradicting yourself and wanting me to laugh at you for it... Nah, we all do things like that sometimes...
 
Shinobi's Fire: Hmmm... Look's like a turtle, huh? I always thought turtles had rather stumpy tails... Meh...
 
Asmodeaus: Time skip.
 
mattdude2489: Read the general A/N above to find out.
 
Media Miner Section:
 
Huzzah! It's fixed! I can now answer reviews without clearing out my cache!
 
Darrel: Yeah, sorry about that. Unfortunately, Meida Miner doesn't have an inbuilt text editor so I have to make the changes to the chapter and then reupload it which is a pain. I've fixed that problme you mentioned though. As for Body Flicker, there are two types of body flicker. The one which everyone can use, where they dissapear in a bgurst of speed, and then there's the modified versions, such as Gaara's Sand Warp, Kakashi's leaves, Yondiame's less flashy Hiraishin and Uchuha Shushi's personalised version.
 
Katana Haibane: Yo! I'm used to answering you in the other section... Well, if you want answers to the Orochimaru thing, look at Failing Mentality's reply in the section above.
 
Lone Kyuubi: Hmm, I seemed to have overlooked that... I'm definitely going to change it later... Thanks for that.
 
For those of you who didn't recive a personal answer, thanks for reviewing!
 
Legend:
 
'...Human or Lesser Summon Thinking/Small A/N...'
 
'...Demon or Summon Boss Thinking...'
 
“...Human or Lesser Summon Talking...”
 
...Demon or Summon Boss Talking...”
 
“...SHOUTING/TWO OR MORE PEOPLE SAYING THE SAME THING/CASTING THE SAME JUTSU...”
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&...Scene Change...&&&&&&&&&&&&&& amp;&
 
Rubies & Sapphires:
 
Chapter Seven:
 
The Return of a Hero:
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&
 
Two & a Half Years Later:
 
Naruto and Jiraiya were racing through the trees on the outskirts of Konoha. Naruto smirked at the Sannin.
 
“You're getting slow in your old age, Ero-Sennin.”
 
Jiraiya grumbled. It wasn't that he was getting slow. Naruto had gotten faster. A hell of a lot faster.
 
“Watch it, brat. I may have let you call me that while we're travelling, but not once we get back.”
 
Naruto smiled lazily at Jiraiya.
 
“Hai, hai...”
 
Naruto's personality hadn't changed much over the years, much to Jiraiya's suprise. He'd resisted every single attempt from the super pervert to turn him to the 'dark side', much to his dismay. Naruto still wore very simmilar clothes to when they had first left. Mask, black muscle shirt, long black pants and katana strapped to his back. The only changes to his apparel or weaponry was a pair of fingerless black gloves that had metal plates over the back of them and the scabbard for his katana had been replaced with a mirror copy of it, except that the scabbard was now yellow instead of white and the Kanji for 'white fang' had been changed to 'yellow fang'. As for Naruto's physical changes, his hair had grown longer. The pony tail now came down to the back of his knees as well as getting thicker from more hair being used for it. His body was now well and trully into puberty, allowing him to finally build some body mass. His body was not the overly rediculous one of a body builder who did nothing but concerntraite on building the size of his musles. It was that of someone who was used to arduous training, and said a lot more than a body builder's body would about their strength. He had also reached and surpassed the six foot mark in height. Last time he was measured, he was 6 foot 2 inches. The muscle shirt stuck tight to his skin, revealing his developed six pack and pectoral muscles. If you were to look at his eyes, it still held the lazy look, but if you had gotten to know him for a while, you could see a very stong undertone of confidence that can only be gained through engauging in countless battles and coming out the other end as the victor. Naruto smiled at the white haired Gama Sennin, waking him from his thoughts.
 
“I said, I'm going on ahead.”
 
Jiraiya grumbled as Naruto pulled out a three pronged kunai and hurled it through the trees.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;
 
South Gate:
 
The guards on duty had long ago detected a Sannin level chakra signature and one that shocked them when they figured it was above the other. When they saw a kunai plant itself into into the ground in front of them, they were wary until they saw a flash of yellow light that appeared from the trees and landed next to the kunai. They ttied to make sense of the figure standing there, letting no hostility show, but rather extreme happiness to see them. Just after, a very worn out white haired old man jumped down beside Naruto who they recognised instantly.
 
“J... Jiraiya-Sama!”
 
Jiraiya looked up at them.
 
“Yeah, it's me.”
 
The guards looked at Naruto.
 
“Then you must be...”
 
Naruto smiled.
 
“Yup, Naruto. Good to see you, Genma-San.”
 
The senbon chewing Jounin cracked a smile.
 
“We've been waiting for you. Tsunade-Sama asked to see both of you as soon as you got back.”
 
They nodded and walked through the gate. Naruto immediately felt a very familiar chakra signature to his left up on a roof. Naruto turned to see Kakashi reading one of the infamous little orange books. Naruto waved to him, and Kakashi raised a hand.
 
“Hey there, Otouto. You sure changed.”
 
Naruto smiled lazily.
 
“Only on the outside, Niisan. Oh, by the way, I got you a present to thank you for the sword.”
 
Kakashi looked up as Naruto jumped up onto the roof and pulled something out of his pocket. Kakahsi froze when he saw it and began trembling.
 
“This... This is!”
 
Naruto smiled.
 
“Yup. Next in the series after four years. Icha Icha Tactics. Limited edition pre release copy signed by the king of perverts himself. Enjoy, Niisan.”
 
Kakashi gingerly took it, hoping this wasn't some cruel Genjutsu Naruto was using. When he grabbed it, it felt resoundingly real. Kakashi was far too engrossed in this new found treasure to come along with Naruto. Naruto turned back to see that they had added a fifth face to the Hokage Monument.
 
“Hmm? They added Tsunade's face to it? Not suprising.”
 
Naruto walked down the street, checking how his village was fairing after two and a half years of his absense. Like with every other town he had been to for the last year and a half, the girls immediately flocked to him, which made Jiraiya rather depressed. Naruto kept walking until he stopped when he felt a very familiar chakra source nearby.
 
“Hisashiburi dana... Kurenai-Chan...”
 
All the girls looked to the left seeing a woman in white wrappings with a red sleeve down one arm. The girls looked at the woman, waiting for her to answer to this hunk of a guy. Apparently, she was shocked enough to be unable to form complete coherrant sentences.
 
“Naruto?”
 
Naruto smiled and nodded as he turned and blushed slightly. Kurenai may have gotten older, but she was still as startlingly beautiful as when he had left. He walked up to her, keeping the lazy smile.
 
“What's wrong, Kurenai-Chan? It's only been two and a half years.”
 
Kurenai blushed as she got a close up view of Naruto's startlingly well toned body. Naruto opened his eyes to notice her reaction.
 
“All girls seem to get that reaction around me recently, Kurenai-Chan. Don't worry, I've stuck to the 'bet'.”
 
Kurenai nodded slowly. If it was just her and Naruto, she probably would have given him at least a hug, if not a kiss, however, the rather weak amount of killer intent coming from the girls was spoiling the mood. Naruto looked around in a clearly bored tone.
 
“Girls, I'd prefer it if you didn't be jeleous. I've known her for over ten years now.”
 
The girls didn't get the point, so Naruto scowled and formed a set of one handed seals which cast a very convincing Genjutsu over himself and the girls which made them believe he had finished his coversation with Kurenai and had walked off. Not having the Genjutsu sense Naruto, Jiraiya or Kurenai had, the girls followed it without question until it was several blocks away when Naruto dispelled it, much to the girls dismay. Meanwhile, Naruto had turned back to Kurenai.
 
“Gomenasai, Kurenai-Chan...”
 
Kurenai shook her head dismissing it.
 
“No problem, Naruto.”
 
Kurenai didn't have to lean down anymore to be face to face with Naruto. In fact, she had to look slightly up to look into his eyes. Naruto smiled as he envelopped her in a hug which she returned.
 
“I've missed you so much, Kurenai-Chan...”
 
“I missed you to Naruto.”
 
Jiraiya just refrained from pulling out his notebook and writing this down as an opening scene to his newest book, however, the punishment Naruto had promised him if he did use his apprentice for any of his books was disturbing to say the least. It involved 24 hours locked in a room tied to a chair being 'serviced' by Anko. Jiraiya shuddered at the thought as he walked on ahead, leaving his apprentice with his crush.
 
Naruto broke the hug slowly as he smiled sheepishly at her. He'd thought of a million and one things to say to her when he got back, but now they all seemed innapropriate for the situation. Kurenai had to admit it. She was glad than Naruto hadn't given up on her as his crush. It was a selfish thought, but right now, she was just happy. Considering he was now 15, he was at the legal age of consent in Konoha. She shook the line of thought from her head as she became aware of the other two members of Team 8 coming up behind her. Naruto's head jolted up as he stepped around Kurenai to see Shikamaru and Chouji. They saw Naruto and no one said anything for a moment. However, Chouji smiled.
 
“Welcome home, Naruto.”
 
Naruto smiled at Chouji.
 
“Long time no see, Chouji. Hey Shikamaru.”
 
Shikamaru smiled and waved.
 
“Yo, Naruto.”
 
Naruto looked at the physical changes in his friends appearances, starting with Chouji. Chouji was not the 'fatass' many people had called him in his younger days. Yes, he still had fat, but a lot of his size was due to muscle tone. His brown hair hnad grown into a long mane, much like his father's red mane. He also wore the Akimichi trademark body armour, which consisted of a chest plate, upper arm guards and thigh guards.
 
“Looking good, Chouji. Seems you've turned the 'padding' into body tone. The hair suits you too.”
 
Chouji smiled as Naruto skirted carefully around the word fat.
 
“Not bad yourself, Naruto.”
 
Naruto smiled lazily and turned to Shikamaru.
 
“You're looking more and more like your old man every day, Shikamaru. Good to see you've been working on your body as well as your mind.”
 
Shikamaru smirked.
 
“It was troublesome, but I had to do it...”
 
Naruto sighed.
 
“I guess you guys would already be Jounin...”
 
Kurenai smiled.
 
“No. Both of them waited until you got back to enter the exams.”
 
Naruto's head shot up and saw them both nod while smiling. Naruto smiled lazily at them.
 
“Thanks guys. It means a lot to me.”
 
Chouji chuckled.
 
“We've done everything together up till now, and I want to keep it that way.”
 
Naruto smiled and remembered that Genma had asked him to go see Tsunade straight away. Naruto sighed.
 
“I'd love to keep talking, but Tsunade wants me to report the second I got back.”
 
Shikamaru sighed and put a hand behind his head.
 
“Medokusei...”
 
Kurenai smiled.
 
“We'll be at training ground 19, Naruto.”
 
Naruto smiled as he promised he'd catch up as soon as he could before using Shushin no Jutsu to get to the office just before Jiraiya. The ANBU looked at them and knocked on the door.
 
“What is it? I have a mountain of paper work that needs doing.”
 
“Tsunade-Sama, Jiraiya-Sama and Uzumaki Naruto are here.”
 
There was a scrambling before quick shuffling steps were heard and the door flew open. Naruto smiled lazily. Same rediculous bust and no sign she'd aged a single day. Tsunade smiled at them.
 
“Welcome home, Naruto.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
Jiraiya was sulking. It felt like he was unimportant. Tsunade turned to Jiraiya.
 
“Did you turn him into a pervert?”
 
Jiraiya sweatdropped. He hadn't seen his former teammate for two and a half years, and the first thing she asked him 'did you turn him into a pervert?' Jiraiya sighed.
 
“No, but I tried...”
 
Tsunade glared at him before walking back into her office with the two of them following her. Jiraiya and Naruto had given Tsunade a full report on their time away, including learning from several masters. He'd throughly enjoyed his Kenjutsu training with the old man as well as his Fuuinjutsu training with an old woman. His Kenjutsu instructor had been shocked at the boy's ability to take the basic style taught to him and modify it to suit his own style. The basic style taught by the old man was simmilar to Academy Taijutsu. If you tried using it on an experienced opponent, they'd laugh and show you how it was really done. His Fuuinjutsu Sensei was startled at Naruto's ability to lap up her lessons. At the end of the report, Tsunade asked the question that would sum up Naruto's abilities.
 
“What level do you think Naruto's at?”
 
Jiraiya sighed.
 
“With or without Kyuubi chakra?”
 
“Without.”
 
“Between Sannin and Kage level.”
 
Tsunade and Shizune's eyes widened in disbelif. Without Kyuubi chakra, Naruto was stronger than them?
 
“What about with it?”
 
Jiraiya sighed.
 
“You don't want to know...”
 
Tsunade contemplated this before she smiled.
 
“Well, lucky for you Naruto, the Jounin Exam trials are coming up in two weeks. I have no doubts your team will make it to the finals at least. Until the Jounin Exams, you're free to do what you want.”
 
Naruto nodded and got up, bowing before leaving the room, leaving Jiraiya and Tsunade to talk about other things.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&
 
Not Long After:
 
Naruto ran to his team's old training ground to see his teammates and Sensei talking about something when they saw Naruto come over and take a seat in the circle. Kurenai smiled at him.
 
“I was just telling them a bit about the Jounin Exams.”
 
Naruto smiled lazily and listened in on the explination.
 
“Basically, all of the countries are allowed to compete in the Jounin Exam, reguardless of alliances. Each country performs an assessment of their teams to see which ones will be allowed to go. There are only two parts to the Jounin Exams. They are always a field mission and a team tournament. The field mission is always one month in length. The rules are very similar to what happened in the Chuunin Exam's second test. The Finals will be team matches of three on three. There are usually no rules in this, save from if you continue the fight after it's called, you will be disqualified.”
 
They nodded and kept talking about things in general, such as past Jounin Exams. After quite some time, Chouji and Shikamaru got up to leave.
 
“Our dads are getting together for a meal, and we're invited. Catch you round Naruto.”
 
Naruto nodded and smiled as they walked off, leaving Naruto with Kurenai. Kurenai smiled at Naruto.
 
“Do you remember our bet?”
 
Naruto nodded.
 
“I won't forget that anytime soon...”
 
Naruto turned to see Kurenai smiling at him with a glint of mischief in her eye.
 
“So, did he succeed?”
 
Naruto shook his head.
 
“No, but I'll give him credit for persistance.”
 
Kurneai chuckled at the joke before she moved closer to Naruto.
 
“Did you know what the 'prize' I had in mind was?”
 
Naruto shook his head but stopped when Kurenai pulled down his mask and kissed him on the lips. Naruto had expected this as one of the possible 'prizes', however, he had not expected her to put her tongue into his mouth as well and place one hand on the back of his head and the other around his waist. Naruto stiffened momentarily before responding with his own tongue and he put his arms around her unconciously in a very protective manner that clearly stated to others 'hands off'. The kiss lasted several minutes before Kurenai pulled back breathing a little deeper than Naruto was. Naruto hugged Kurenai and the two of them stayed in that position for quite some time, just enjoying each other's embrace.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&
 
Next Day:
 
Naruto had woekn up at a decent time, had a quick breakfast and left to go greet his other friends, which had been strangly absent yesterday. The first team he sought out was Team Gai. When he came to their training area, he saw them just finishing up a training session. Naruto raised a hand in greeting as he came over to them.
 
“Yo.”
 
Lee spun around and his eyes lit up with a rather unhealthy amount of the 'flames of youth'.
 
“YOSH! IT'S NARUTO-KUN! TELL US OF YOUR MANY TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS YOU ENCOUNTERED WHILE YOU WERE AWAY!”
 
Naruto looked up from his musing on whether Lee had reached the second stage of the 'green spandex' disease and looked at Lee, who expecting an answer.
 
“What was that sorry?”
 
Neji and Tenten face faulted, while both Gai and Lee harped on about 'hip attitudes'. Neji seemed to recover first.
 
“How did you not hear that, Naruto?”
 
Naruto looked up at the sky as he thought about it before smiling lazily.
 
“I was wondering if the personality copy from Gai-Sensei to Lee had completed yet and then I saw him expecting an answer so I asked him what he had asked me.”
 
The whole of Team Gai sweat dropped. Both Tenten and Neji had to admit, that was an excellent way of tuning them out. They really needed to have 'training' sessions on how to do that... Naruto saw Tenten marveling his blade and he smiled, pulling the blade out and handing it to Tenten, who looked over the blade with a critical eye.
 
“This has to be one of the finest blade's I've seen in a long time... The blade has been folded the perfect number of times for it's composite materials and size. It's light weight and strong. Naruto, where did you get this?”
 
Naruto smiled lazily at her questioning glance.
 
“Aniki gave it to me before left. It's old name was White Fang.”
 
Tenten's eyes shot open as did Gai's. Tenten smirked.
 
“No wonder it's so good. I thought I recognised my father's work when I saw it. This was his masterpiece. You're very lucky to have it.”
 
Naruto smiled.
 
“Yup. Say, Tenten, can I have a proper Kenjutsu spar against you? No Ninjutsu, Genjutsu or Taijutsu. Don't hold back either.”
 
Tenten's eyes narrowed but she smirked.
 
“Sure thing.”
 
Tenten pulled out a scroll and produced a katana that was slightly shorter than Naruto's. Gai was refereeing the match and told them to take their places. Once they were both ready, they drew their swords and Tenten charged. Naruto brought his blade up to block with one hand on the hilt. Tenten's attack had been nothing more than a test of Naruto's blocking ability and strength. Naruto's eyes narrowed.
 
“I asked you not to take it lightly.”
 
Tenten jumped back. Naruto was obviously a hell of a lot more skilled with his Katana than when he had left. If Tenten didn't know any better, it looked like a long forgotten style of Kenjutsu that was the predecessor of two current styles that sprang up from it. The Hayate's Mikazuki Style and the Hana no Mai Style. Both styles relied of 'dances' of Kenjutsu that were extemely hard to master and rather powerful when they were. The predecessor had elements of both styles infused into it and was supposed to have been lost at least 60 years ago. Tenten's eyes narrowed.
 
“Where did you learn that Kenjutsu style?”
 
Naruto smiled.
 
“Class S secret.”
 
Tenten smiled at this.
 
“Well, let's see how good you are at it.”
 
Tenten charged with her own family style of Kenjutsu and the two clashed blades. Naruto could see Tenten was serious so he spun around and clashed the blade with hers again. The two jumped apart and Naruto could feel Tenten channeling chakra into her sword for a Kenjutsu. Naruto closed his eyes and began the style's first dance.
 
“Hitotsu no Mai-”
 
This caught everyone's attention, especially from the amount of chakra coming off the blade in very gas like waves.
 
“Nami no Mai!”
 
Naruto brought his sword down and unleashed an arc of chakra from the sword that resembled a wave. Naruto slashed the sword sideways and released a horizontal wave of the chakra. This was done in the space of under a second and Tenten jumped to avoid the double attack and looked behind her as they carved through everything in their paths. After they had dissapeared from visual range, the chakra became too unstable to hold it's form and they exploded, clearing a 20 meter wide area of forest. Tenten turned back to Naruto who brought his sword up into a ready position that could easily shift to a defensive or offensive stance.
 
“That was the first dance?”
 
Naruto nodded.
 
“How many are there?”
 
Naruto thought about it.
 
“Officially, 10. I have created another two that I alone can use.”
 
Tenten's eyes widened. He'd improved a Kenjutsu style that had been around for thousands of years and then lost, picked it up and just added two extra dances that he alone could use?
 
“What do you mean, two that only you can use?”
 
Naruto smiled.
 
“Are you a Jounin yet?”
 
Tenten nodded. Both her teammates and herself had become Jounins in the last Jounin Exam. Naruto turned to Gai.
 
“She is correct. My team has become Jounins as of last year.”
 
Naruto nodded and turned back to Tenten.
 
“How much do you know about the Kyuubi?”
 
This struck everyone except Gai as a completely off topic question, however, Naruto never asked pointless questions.
 
“Yondaime killed it over fifteen years ago.”
 
Naruto shook his head.
 
“Yondaime may have been the greatest man to ever live, but his power was not even a contest for the lord of demons. No mortal ever has or ever will be able to go toe to toe against a demon lord and live, let alone win.”
 
“Then what happened to the Kyuubi?”
 
“Yondaime wasn't stupid. He knew he couldn't win with his current powers and allies, so he called on the only being more powerful than Kyuubi to help him. Shinigami.”
 
Everyone's eyes widened at this.
 
“However, a mortal calling Shinigami from hell is no trivial matter. For payment for his services, Shinigami requires two live souls. The soul of the user and the soul of the target. Essentially, the Kyuubi and Yondaime died in a pysical sesne, however, the Kyuubi's soul was ripped from his body and sealed inside an newborn infant, the only thing that would be able to hold the vast amounts of demonic chakra without breaking immediately. The Yondaime's soul held the Kyuubi at bay and will do so until the child dies. Take a guess who that child was.”
 
Neji's eyes widened as realisation struck him.
 
“Naruto! It was-”
 
“Yeah. It was me.”
 
The three newly appointed Jounin's eyes widened considerably. Gai nodded in agreement.
 
“The correct term for a person like Naruto is a Jinchuriki. They are able to wield unfathomable power. However, as far as I can tell, Naruto prefers not to use that power and rely on his own unless the situation calls for it. A very noble action.”
 
Tenten turned back to Naruto.
 
“I know I can trust you guys not to go telling this to every man, woman and child. This secret is mine and mine alone to tell.”
 
All three of them nodded, however, Neji remembered something.
 
“Naruto... That S class secret you refered to in the Chuunin Exams...”
 
“Yeah, this is that secret.”
 
They nodded. No wonder it was an S class secret. Naruto looked at them individually.
 
“Do you think any less of me for it?”
 
Lee was the first to answer.
 
“YOSH! Naruto-Kun proves his 'flames of youth' burn far more brightly that the Kyuubi's! Gai-Sensei! We should run 500 laps around Konoha on our hands!”
 
Naruto sweatdropped and turned back to Tenten.
 
“He's more like Gai than I thought...”
 
“No kidding...”
 
Naruto shook his head and turned to Neji.
 
“Naruto, I never have and never will think any less of you. You taught me that a person's reputation and affiliation means nothing.”
 
Naruto nodded as he turned back to Tenten, and saw she was smiling.
 
“I won't think less of you if you teach me that style.”
 
Naruto, Gai, Neji and Lee sweatdropped until Tenten burst out laughing.
 
“I'm joking. You've always been a good guy and you still are now. I still want to learn that style, though.”
 
Naruto laughed nervously.
 
“We'll see.”
 
Tenten smirked and reengaged in combat. Both of them clashed swords until Naruto found an opening and thrust his katana to within an inch of Tenten's middrif, right where the kidney was. Tenten saw this and her eyes widened before she looked back up at Naruto to see him smiling.
 
“I haven't had a decent Kenjutsu match like that in over a year. Thank you, Tenten.”
 
Tenten nodded as Naruto withdrew his sword and bowed, which Tenten returned. Naruto followed all four of the Jounins to a restraunt for lunch before excusing himself, paying for his meal and taking a quick shower before going to find Team Ten.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&
 
Not Too Long After:
 
Naruto stepped out of his appartment and went to look for the three members of Team Ten. He was walking down a little used street when he spotted somone who had a rather shady, yet somewhat familliar look to him. Naruto stopped and saw immediately who it was.
 
“Shino?”
 
Shino nodded.
 
“Hisashiburi dana, Naruto.”
 
“Yeah, it has been a while. How have you been?”
 
“Well enough. Yourself?”
 
Naruto smiled lazily.
 
“Great. Where's Kiba and Hinata?”
 
Kiba looked up, the midday sun reflecting off his glasses.
 
“They will be here shortly.”
 
Not five seconds later, Naruto heard a thump behind him and turned to see Kiba on one very large dog that could only be Akamaru. Kiba saw Naruto and grinned.
 
“Naruto! I was sure it was you!”
 
Naruto smiled as he shook Kiba's hand.
 
“You're looking 'ruggishly hansome' these days.”
 
Kiba smiled baring his fangs.
 
“Wouldn't you know it. The girls are all over me.”
 
Naruto smiled as he heard Shino talk from behind him.
 
“This is true. They will not leave us alone even when we train. It is rather... Annoying.”
 
Naruto smiled and he walked up to Akamaru and pulled out the carry bag he was given from his left over lunch and gave a couple of pieces of the beef to Akamaru who gladly ate them and barked happily at Naruto who gave him a scratch behind the ears. Naruto resealed the plastic container and wrapped it back up when he saw another person walking up to them. Naruto recognised it immediately as a Hyuuga because of the dark hair and pupiless lavender eyes. However, Naruto did not recognise this one. It was female, but he'd never seen this Hyuuga before, considering she was the same age. However, when she stepped out of the shade and into the sunlight, Naruto saw the hair was not pitch black, but navy blue. There was only one Hyuuga with that hair colour he knew.
 
“Hey, Hinata.”
 
Hinata looked up and smiled at Naruto.
 
“Okaeri, Naruto-Kun.”
 
“Arigato, Hinata.”
 
Naruto noticed that Hinata was no longer passing out and whatnot near him like the old days, so he smiled at her.
 
“You're not fainting around me anymore Hinata.”
 
Hinata blushed and smiled.
 
“I found someone else I like...”
 
Naruto's eyes widened.
 
“Oh? Who would that be?”
 
Hinata walked up to Shino and grabbed his arm, which he did not resist. Naruto's mind worked for a few moments before he smiled.
 
“Good for you. I'm happy for you. However, I would never have expected it to be you, Shino. Still, congratulations.”
 
Hinata smiled.
 
“Arigato, Naruto-Kun.”
 
Shino nodded his answer and they waited for their Sensei. Asuma came up and noticed a new adition to the group. The new adition spoke to him with his back towards him.
 
“Those cancer sticks will be the death of you, Asuma-Sensei.”
 
Asuma's eyes widened as the boy turned around and he saw Naruto. He smiled.
 
“Good to see you too. How've you been, Naruto?”
 
Naruto smiled in that irritating fashion he had picked up from his adoptive brother many years ago.
 
“Great.”
 
Asuma nodded and they sat down to chat until late afternoon. After they had caught up, Naruto stood up, waving to them as he headed home.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&
 
Two Weeks Later:
 
The day after Naruto had visited Team Gai and Team 10, Naruto had spent the last two weeks until the initial testing for the Jounin Exam getting back into the swing of things with his team. They quickly settled into an old routine and began assessing each other's new jutsus, which in Naruto's case, was quite extensive. On the day of the initial test, Kurenai brought her team at around midday to the examiners along with several other teams of Chuunin and their Senseis. They were apparently assessing skills. When it was Team 8's turn, Naruto stepped up. The examiner looked up from his clipboard, clearly not enjoying this.
 
“Name?”
 
“Uzumaki Naruto.”
 
That caught practically everyone's attention in the room. The examiner nodded, now more interested.
 
“Teammates names?”
 
“Akimichi Chouji and Nara Shikamaru.”
 
The man scribbled this down.
 
“Team type?”
 
“First Response Team.”
 
The man nodded. First Response Teams were usually a team that covered most types of fighting and were able to get to a problem spot and with no previous info on the opponents, hold down the fort before backup arrived. Not an easy choice. The man wrote this down and looked back up.
 
“Any team jutsu specialties?”
 
Naruto thought for a moment.
 
“Bloodline Jutsus.”
 
The man nodded and wrote that down.
 
“That's all I need.”
 
Naruto nodded and led his team over to the side of the room where the other teams were waiting while Kurenai walked over to the other side of the room where the Jounin Senseis waited. After they had finished, they were taken one team at a time into a small training field where a Jounin was standing. When Team 8 stepped up, the man nodded at them.
 
“Team 8?”
 
Naruto nodded. The man stood up.
 
“This fight will be one on one with pure Ninjutsu. Who do you want to select to repersent you?”
 
Naruto smiled.
 
“I will.”
 
The man nodded and got into a stance.
 
“Go when ready.”
 
Naruto closed his eyes as the man announced his jutsu.
 
“Katon: Gokakyuu no Jutsu!”
 
Naruto whispered his jutsu just before the fireball reached him.
 
“Doton: Dochu Eigyo no Jutsu...”
 
To the opponent, it seemed like he had burnt Naruto into nothingness until he felt a hand grab onto his ankle.
 
“Doton: Shinju Zanshu no Jutsu!”
 
Naruto replaced himself with the Jounin who was rather bewildered at the fact that he was burried underground with only his head sticking out and a Chuunin in front of him giving him a lazy smile.
 
“Can't move, right?”
 
The Jounin nodded dumbly.
 
“Anything else we have to do here?”
 
“Nothing for now. You will be called later for Ninjutsu and Genjutsu testing.”
 
Naruto nodded and stood up taking his two teammates with him. The Jounin looked back at him.
 
“Hey, aren't you going to get me out?”
 
Naruto smiled at him.
 
“You're a Jounin, do it yourself.”
 
Shikamaru sighed.
 
“Mendokusei...”
 
Naruto smiled as they left the training area and one very annoyed Jounin. When they were called next, they were asked to perform a Genjutsu besides Henge. Naruto looked at Shikamaru who nodded and formed three hand seals before announcing his jutsu.
 
“Magen: Jigoku Kouka no Jutsu!”
 
Naruto smiled as the area was bathed in red light and the Jounin practitioner looked up to see, as the jutsu name suggested, a rather large ball of hell fire decending upon him. He tried to dispell it, but found he was unable to. Shikamaru looked at him in his regular disinterested tone.
 
“Despelling regular Genjutsu might work, however, Demonic Illusion types of Genjutsu can only be dispelled by Genjutsu specialists.”
 
Shikamaru released the last seal and the fire died down, leaving the area untouched. The Jounin nodded.
 
“Pass. Go and wait for Taijutsu test.”
 
They nodded and left, waiting for the Taijutsu test. When they were called out, the Jounin looked at Chouji.
 
“You're the only one who hasn't been tested on your team yet. Go when ready.”
 
Chouji nodded and charged with speed that someone of his size shouldn't be capable of. The Jounin's eyes widened from behind his glasses and went to block Chouji's attack. However, blocking is something that should be avoided when fighting an Akimichi. Chouji put a massive amount of power behind the punch and slammed the Jounin into the far wall. He fell to his hands and knees before getting slowly back up, coughing and patting the dust off his clothes.
 
“You guys are fine. Go and wait for the results.”
 
They nodded and left the testing field and awaited the results. After an hour, the examiners came back in. The head examiner looked up from his clip board.
 
“We have the results. The following team has passed-”
 
Only one team passed? People began murmuring amongst themselves as to who the team could be when the examiner announced it.
 
“Team 8. Would said team please report to the Hokage's office tomorrow morning at 8 am. Thank you.”
 
Naruto smirked as he got up and led his team to their Jounin Sensei and together, the four of them walked out of the room, acutely aware of the stares they were getting. When they got outside, they saw it was early evening. Both Chouji and Shikamaru split off to walk to the clan section of Konoha, leaving Naruto and Kurenai to walk to their perspective apartments, which were in the same direction. Kurenai's appartment was close than Naruto's, so they stopped outside her appartment complex. Kurenai turned to Naruto and smiled at him, which he returned.
 
“Naruto, how do you think the team will do in the Jounin Exams?”
 
Naruto smiled lazily at her.
 
“I don't know. Like the Chuunin Exams, we could get to the finals, and then run into another Jinchuriki...”
 
Kurenai nodded. That wasn't exactly a pleasing thought. Naruto hugged her when he saw the worried look on her face.
 
“Kurenai-Chan, don't worry about me. Even if the Hachibi's container was there, I'd have more power than he would.”
 
Kurneai sighed.
 
“At the cost of your life, yes. Naruto, promise me you won't go past the third tail...”
 
Naruto nodded. The one time he had gotten to the fourth tail, he had almost killed himself, let alone his Sensei.
 
“I promise.”
 
Naruto pulled back and Kurenai fished the key out of her pocket and opened the door. Naruto looked at her, smiling lazily.
 
“Good night, Kurenai-Chan...”
 
“Good night, Naru-Chan...”
 
Kurenai walked up the stairs and Naruto turned and kept walking a bit further down the street to his apartment block. He opened the door and climed the stairs before unlocking his appartment door. He found Kakashi there, reading his new Icha Icha Tactics. Kakashi smiled at him.
 
“Yo! I heard your team was the only one to pass the Jounin selections. Good job.”
 
Naruto smiled back at him.
 
“Thanks. I'll make dinner tonight.”
 
Kakashi nodded and went back to his book while Naruto wandered into the kitchen to see what they had. He eventually settled for some frozen fish fillets and vegitables. Once he'd made them, he brought the two plates to the dinner table and Kakashi joined him. Naruto was always kind of sad that meals he might spend hours cooking were consumed in under 5 seconds, but he was used to it. After dinner, Naruto took a shower and prepared for an early night.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&
 
Hokage Tower, 8 am:
 
Team 8 met at the Hokage Tower just before 8 am and their Sensei appeared a few moments later. All four of them walked inside and the ANBU guarding the door let them in to see Tsunade asleep with her head on the desk snooring. All three Chuunin and one Jounin sweatdropped when Naruto decided it would be a good idea to wake her up. He walked over to her and poked her.
 
“Tsunade...”
 
Tsunade made no indication she'd noticed it, so Naruto prodded her.
 
“Tsunade...”
 
Tsunade did nothing so he got down next to her ear and smiled misciviously.
 
“There's a half price sale on at the local liquer shop for sake for the next five minutes.”
 
That got the desired reaction as Tsunade shot up, instantly alert.
 
“Half priced sake? Where?”
 
Naruto sighed.
 
“No where, Tsunade.”
 
Tsunade looked at Naruto angrily before she realised she had company. Kurenai's eye was twitching.
 
“You're not setting a very good example, Tsunade-Sama...”
 
Tsunade sighed and regained her composure.
 
“Sorry about that. Work has been piling up. Coupled with the fact I'm required to do hospital rounds every day is taking it's toll.”
 
Tsuande interlaced her fingers in front of her mouth.
 
“Congratulations on passing the preliminaries. This year, the Jounin Exams are being held in Suna. The examinees will begin leaving their villages within the next two to three days, and that includes you too. You will leave here for Suna in two days time. Are there any questions?”
 
No one spoke up so Tsunade dismissed them.
 
“Here are your passports. Send my reguards to Kazekage-Dono.”
 
Kurenai nodded.
 
“Will do Tsunade-Sama.”
 
The four of them left the office and walked out of the tower. Kurenai told them to prepare for a several month long trip and meet at the South Gate at 7 am in two days time. They nodded and split up to start preparing.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
 
Two Days Later, 7 am:
 
Team 8 assembled at the South Gate and headed out towards Suna, racing through the forest which eventually gave way to shurbs and then sand dunes. Team 8 picked up the speed and raced over the dunes until they spotted the alcove that Suna was located in. The guards seemed to be fairly busy with other people trying to get into the village, but they noticed the four figures approaching them at high speeds. They readied themselves in case of an attack, but softened up when they noticed all four of them wore Konoha Hitai-ates. Konoha was a staunch ally of Suna. When they got to the gate the Suna guard nodded at them and smiled.
 
“If I was allowed to, I'd let you straight in. But for security reasons, I need your names and reasons for visiting.”
 
Kurenai nodded.
 
“I am Yuuhi Kurenai, Jounin of Konoha. I am here with my team which is composed of Uzumaki Naruto, Nara Shikamaru and Akimichi Chouji who are here to partake in the Jounin Exams.”
 
The guard nodded once they showed him their passes and waved them through. Naruto saw a lot of other Chuunin teams from every country that could afford to send them milling around, sizing each other up. Naruto was walking passed a team from Kumo when Naruto and the obvious leader from the Kumo team drew side by side and both stopped. Each boy sensed something distubingly familiar about the other and they turned to look at the other. Naruto saw the Kumo captain wore a black long sleaved shirt with dragons interwining around a katana on the chest. He wore black pants that had a white lightning bolt down the sides. The most interesting thing Naruto saw that the Kumo captain had was a katana strapped to his back with the Kanji for 'Dragon of the Clouds' on the scabbard. The Kumo captain's eyes furrowed.
 
“I feel like I've met you somewhere before...”
 
Naruto smiled lazily.
 
“Same here... Uzumaki Naruto. You are?”
 
“Unryu Itachi. I look forward to seeing you in the exams, Naruto-San.”
 
Naruto nodded in agreement.
 
“As do I, Itachi-San.”
 
They both went their separate ways with there teams. Once the Kumo team were out of earshot Shikamaru looked at Naruto.
 
“Naruto, where have you seen him before?”
 
Naruto frowned.
 
“That's what I want to know. I would have remembered someone's face I met that was that powerful, but I don't remember him...”
 
Shikamaru sighed.
 
“Mendokusei...”
 
Kurenai really didn't like the look of that Kumo Taichou. He had an air of confidence around him similar to Naruto. The type that could only be gained from years of experience. Kurenai shook it off as they stopped to get something to eat at a restraunt. When they walked in, they were surprised to see three people Naruto hadn't seen in years. Naruto smiled and waved at the former Team Suna of their Chuunin Exams.
 
“Haven't seen you three in a while.”
 
The three in question turned to see Naruto, Chouji, Shikamaru and Kurenai walk in. Temari blushed when she saw Naruto while Kankuro waved.
 
“Hey Naruto. How've you been?”
 
“Great thanks, Kankuro. Yourself?”
 
“Can't complain.”
 
Naruto smiled at Temari.
 
“Good to see you, Temari.”
 
“Likewise, Naruto.”
 
Naruto turned to the last of the three.
 
“How are you holding up, Gaara?”
 
Gaara nodded.
 
“Well enough, Uzumaki Naruto.”
 
Naruto smiled.
 
“Naruto's fine, Gaara. No need to be so informal.”
 
Gaara nodded.
 
“Mind if we sit with you?”
 
The three smiled, or in Gaara's case, nodded so Team 8 took their seats and waited for someone to take their orders. A waitress came up and took their orders before turning to Gaara and his siblings.
 
“Kazekage-Sama, Temari-San, Kankuro-San, would you like anything else?”
 
“Could I get some shavings of roast lamb with the green salad please?”
 
Both Temari and Kankuro placed their orders and the waitress left. Naruto smiled at Gaara.
 
“So you're Kazekage now, Gaara? Congratulations.”
 
Gaara closed his eyes.
 
“Thank you.”
 
The conversation was mainly about what everyone had been doing in the past two and a half years. The waitress came back with the tray of food and they began eating. Naruto eventually decided to broach a rather hazerdous subject.
 
“Gaara, are you still unable to sleep?”
 
Gaara nodded. Naruto's brows furrowed.
 
“Can you tell me what type of seal holds him in?”
 
Gaara thought for a moment before answering.
 
“I believe it is called a four element seal.”
 
Naruto nodded.
 
“Single or double?”
 
Gaara did not understand, which he indicated by tilting him head to the side.
 
“Single or double?”
 
“Single or double four element seal?”
 
Gaara's face went blank for a moment.
 
“I am not certain...”
 
Naruto nodded.
 
“If you want me to have a look at the seal later, I may be able to do something about it.”
 
The three Suna siblings' eyes widened. Temari spoke for them.
 
“Do you have skills with seals?”
 
Naruto nodded as he smiled.
 
“Yeah. However, we can do that later. Right now, we need to find a place to stay.”
 
Gaara would have extended a welcome to the Konoha nins to stay in his own house, however, the host country for Jounin Exams was not allowed to show any favoritism towards any nation, even it's own. The Konoha nins paid for their section of the meal and said goodbye to the three Suna nins before they went to find some sort of rental appartment. Naruto pointed out a particularly up market one. The others sweatdropped.
 
“Naruto, we don't have the kind of cash for this place...”
 
Naruto pulled out his bank book. Due to the constant A and S rank missions that he had undertaken with just him and Jiraiya, his bank account had swollen considerably. Most of the time they spent out of the Fire Country as well as it's ally countries, meaning they had no access to Naruto's bank account. Naruto walked inside and his team begrudgingly followed behind him. Naruto went up to the front desk and smiled at a woman who smiled politely back at him.
 
“Can I help you, Sir?”
 
“I need a two bedroom room place for about two to three months. Myself and my team are partaking in the Jounin Exam, so I can't give a definate time.”
 
The woman nodded.
 
“For a two bedroom appartment, it's 120000 Ryou a month.”
 
Naruto opened his bankbook and wrote a check out before handing it to the lady. The lady checked it against the computer records to find it all worked out.
 
“Thank you. Your appartment number is 359. Here is your key. Please enjoy your stay.”
 
Naruto nodded, took the key and walked towards the stairs when he felt his teammates were not behind him. He turned around and looked at them.
 
“Is something wrong?”
 
Kurenai's eyes widened.
 
“Yes something is wrong. Naruto-”
 
“How could I afford this? Let's go up to my room and I'll show you.”
 
They followed him up the stairs to the third level and quickly found their room. Naruto opened the door and let them in. Once they were in and the door shut, Naruto took a seat and motioned them to sit down, which they did.
 
“Kurenai-Chan, what's the average pay per person for a four man platoon to complete a regular S rank mission?”
 
“About 25000 Ryou...”
 
Naruto nodded.
 
“So if two people did an S rank mission, they would have 50000 each. Now, if you did A and S rank missions at a rate of one every one or two weeks between two people for two and a half years with no way of spending the money, how much would you get at the end of the two and a half years?”
 
Kurenai saw what he was hinting at, as did Naruto's other two teammates. Chouji whistled.
 
“You've got a lot of cash, Naruto...”
 
Shikamaru sighed.
 
“Mendokusei...”
 
Kurenai still wasn't happy about it.
 
“Naruto, we can't just use your money to get us an appartment like this.”
 
Naruto smiled at her as he handed her his bankbook. Kurenai's eyes widened. He had even more money than she had! A hell of a lot more. The fee for the appartment had barely scratched the surface of his savings. Kurenai handed the bankbook back to him and Naruto put it back in his bag. Naruto looked at their appartment. It had two bedrooms, a single bathroom, a living room that was also the kitchen and dining room in one. Both bedrooms led onto individual balconies that faced the same direction. Naruto got up and looked at Kurenai.
 
“Which room do you want, Kurenai-Chan?”
 
Kurenai's eyes widened before picking the room closest to the back of the appartment.
 
“I'll have the back one.”
 
Naruto nodded and opened the door to the other room, which all three boys were apparently going to share for the next few nights.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&a mp;&&&&
 
A/N: Hmmm, this chapter isn't really that good at the moment... As I said, this chapter was going to be boring but necessary. I'll fix it up when I finish it, which will be in a few more chapters.
 
Ja na,
 
Specula.