Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
So far, Neji and Sasuke seem to have the most votes for Harry's pairing. I'm also thinking of pairing Kakashi and Iruka together.
 
Chapter 3
 
 
Kakashi stayed still, watching as Harry's breathing continued to slow, the snake coiled around his body with her head resting on his shoulder. The teen was extremely pale now and the bite had stopped bleeding although there was a small trickle of blood from his mouth. What shocked him into actually moving back was when Harry suddenly went rigid and then screamed. Moving fast he placed his hand over the teen's mouth to smother the noise even as emerald eyes flew open, reflecting the utter agony Harry was experiencing. Kakashi shot a glare at the snake and pulled out a kunai, he would kill Harry and spare him any more pain but the snake tightened a coil around his arm and hissed a warning, causing him to still. A few seconds later Harry spasmed and then went limp but his breathing had improved and he had a bit more colour. Reaching forward Kakashi checked his pulse and found it to be weak but steady. He frowned in thought, somehow Harry was no longer dieing from the poison. Something to do with his ability to speak to the snake? He didn't think so because Harry had seemed to honestly believe he was dieing. A low groan brought his attention back from his thoughts.
 
“Harry, can you hear me?” He asked softly. To his amazement green eyes fluttered open briefly even as Harry's hand twitched. Kakashi gripped his hand and smiled as he felt an answering squeeze, albeit very weak.
 
“Kashi.” The word was very faint but decipherable.
 
“Hang in there Harry, I'll get you to safety. Can you tell the snake to get off me? I need to carry you.” Kakashi sighed as Harry appeared to have passed out again but then a very faint hissing reached his ears. The snake carefully uncoiled from around him only to coil up around Harry even more gently. Moving carefully Kakashi lifted Harry and positioned him onto his back before taking to the trees. He doubted Harry's scream had gone unheard and wanted to put as much distance between them and that clearing as possible. As he ran he tried to ignore the quiet hissing from the snake. To his surprise he found that if he had to label the hissing he would say that it was meant to be comforting, it appeared the snake was trying to comfort the unconscious teen.
 
--------------------------------
Kakashi dropped from the trees and onto the road, walking the rest of the way without trying to hide. Since the snake had attacked they'd had no further trouble although she had left twice and returned looking rather smug for a snake. Harry had been in and out of consciousness although his periods of wakefulness were increasing, something that Kakashi took as a good sign, even if he wasn't always coherent. The guards looked shocked for a second when he stepped into view before one vanished, presumably to get a medical team and report his return, He walked closer and then carefully lowered Harry to the ground. The teen moaned and twitched slightly but didn't wake but the remaining guard stiffened as he noticed the snake coiled around Harry's body. A few seconds later the other guard returned with a medical team and Tsunade.
 
“Hokage.” Kakashi gave a short, stiff bow his remaining injuries and having carried Harry plus a large snake had taken their toll on his body.
 
“Who is that?” Tsunade asked suspiciously, eyeing the snake.
 
“Harry, we shared a cell in Sound. He saved my life twice.” Kakashi stepped closer, pitching his voice for here ears alone. Some things about the teen needed to be kept secret.
“He's an Outsider and he has abilities that could be very useful. For one, he can talk to snakes, that one was meant to kill us both but because of Harry it has protected us. He needs medical attention though.”
 
“So do you.” They both looked over as the snake hissed a warning to the medics when they got to close.
 
“I'll put him on the stretcher.” Kakashi offered and they gladly moved back, eyeing the teen and the snake with distrust and a little fear.
 
“Not a word of this to anyone. For now this boy is a S-ranked secret.” Tsunade announced, seeing their looks and thinking about what Kakashi had said. She watched as Kakashi gently lifted the teen and placed him on the stretcher. Taking a deep breath he held his arm out to the snake.
 
“Com on. Please, he needs treatment.” The snake looked between Kakashi and the others warily. Tsunade stepped up and bravely allowed the snake to examine her, holding still as its tongue flicked over her skin. Slowly it uncoiled from around Harry and moved onto Kakashi.
 
“Comfortable brat?” Tsunade asked.
 
“Not really, but trust me you don't want to get bitten.” He held up Harry's arm to reveal the still inflamed wound and the Hokage's eyes widened in shock.
 
“Lets go!” she called and they moved swiftly to the hospital.
 
-------------------------------
Kakashi looked up as Tsunade and Ibiki walked in.
 
“How is he?” He asked. The snake raised her head from where she was sunning herself on the windowsill.
 
“Stable and sleeping. Shizune is watching over him and there are Anbu outside his room. Care to explain what happened?”
 
“The mission failed and I was captured. When I came to I was in a cell, chained to the wall.” Kakashi explained everything that had happened from his capture until the guards had seen them on the road. He stopped finally to take a long drink of water, wetting his parched throat.
 
“There's more.” Ibiki stated and Kakashi nodded.
 
“He has family here, through his grandmother.”
 
“Did he tell you a name?” Tsunade asked.
 
“Yeah, Umino Iruka and he gave the name before going into my mind so he didn't get it from me.” Shocked silence met his announcement.
 
“Do you believe him?” Ibiki asked.
 
“Yes. He's shown no sign of lying to me, withholding things yes but not lying.”
 
“He could be a spy.” Ibiki pointed out.
 
“Agreed but his ability makes him a too obvious choice and Orochimaru is usually a little more subtle. Have someone find Iruka; I want to know if he knows anything about a family member leaving the villages. For now we'll keep the guard on the boy and watch him closely.” Tsunade ordered and Ibiki left.
“As much as I know you won't like it I want one of the Yamanaka to take a look at you, just as a precaution.” Kakashi nodded in understanding.
“Other than that you'll be fine, he did a good job with your injuries.”
 
-----------------------------------------
Harry groaned and forced his eyes open before shutting them again as the light hit them. He moaned and tried to bury his head only to stop at the sound of someone chuckling. He sighed as he recognised the distinctive smells of a hospital and finally opened his eyes, gazing around warily.
 
“Welcome back.” His gaze focused on the masked silver haired man and he smiled slightly.
 
“We made it?” He croaked and gratefully drank the water the older man gave him. He could feel Kakashi smiling behind his mask.
 
“We made it. You've been out for nearly a week though since you're meant to be dead that's not bad.” Kakashi told him and Harry frowned, trying to remember what had happened.
 
“The snake… Shouldn't I be dead?” Harry looked at Kakashi in confusion and then looked around the room as he heard a familiar noise. Looking over at the window he saw the snake sunning herself.
 
~Hello young speaker. ~ The snake hissed as she raised her head to stare at him.
 
~Hello. What happened? ~ Harry asked.
 
~Basilisk and phoenix. ~ She said before going back to sleep. Harry stared blankly for a few seconds before cracking up and then going into a coughing fit causing Kakashi to leap to his feet and try to help. And that was the scene the Hokage walked in on.
 
TBC…
Very short I know but it was a good place to leave it, I have a headache and I wanted to post since I'll be at work tomorrow.