Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Lining ❯ Neji's Story ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

author's note: OMGOMGOMG I'M SOOOO SORRY!! I FORGOT THE DISCLAIMER!!!
and.i'm putting these up in a rush. so sorry! I'll go back and add comments later!
 
Disclaimer: THE CHARACTERS ARE NOT MINE.
 
Chapter 2 :: Neji's Story
 
It couldn't be said that Neji was completely oblivious to the going-ons of his own clan. Hiashi had approached him the day before with his plans, and a few elders that he was in good favor of even approached him and wished him luck for his chance of being the possible successor. As for what would happen to Hinata, he analyzed the situation and as there was no way of preventing it, decided it was best not to tip her off about it beforehand. Feigning ignorance the entire day wasn't hard either, because Hinata barely had the courage to look up at anyone anyway, and Neji had perfected his poker look many times over. No one could beat him in that game.
 
"Neji! Are you ready?"
 
Neji turned around to find Hinata's little sister standing there, a disgruntled presence hovering quite obviously over her short form.
 
"With what?" Neji answered evenly, trying to pretend he didn't notice her aura. "And why are you dressed like that?"
 
"What do you mean, with what? Didn't you say you were going to take me training today? Father said so - he's too busy today," Hanabi gave a childish pout, muttering quite audibly, "Of course he's too busy, even though he promised seven times he'd train me today."
 
"I was going to…oh, training. Well alright, are you ready?" Hiashi doesn't want Hanabi to overhear. Neji mentally thought. Well all right, I'll baby-sit Hanabi for the day.
 
"Of course I'm ready! That's why I called you in the first place!" Hanabi huffed, swinging a clanking bag of kunais over her shoulder as she started towards the door. "Now hurry up."
 
With one last muted sigh, Neji turned to scan the room…or rather, what was going on behind the sliding doors a few rooms over. He gave himself approximately ten minutes before Hinata would burst out of the house…
 
Hanabi had improved, he could give her that much. She stood in front of him, panting hard, but determination glinted in her eyes. Her byakugan couldn't match up with his 360-degree vision, but it at least achieved 180. She held up well with hand-to-hand combat, and her kunai throws were speedy and accurate. Streams of black hair flew out behind her as she zigzagged her way towards Neji, tactfully feinting a punch and instead aiming with a hard kick…
 
Naturally, nothing landed on him, which frustrated Hanabi to no end. To calm her, he let her practice on aiming for bull's-eyes. Neji was finally able to relax a little as her leaned back on a cool rock while mildly pointing out a few things to Hanabi. Needless to say, they weren't received very graciously.
 
Suddenly he tensed, and as a habit his byakugen was activated immediately. A figure was coming, though still a ways off…a familiar one.
 
Why doesn't Hinata retain at least a little common sense when she recklessly runs away? At least, go someplace where there was least likely to be people, not a training ground for goodness sake…
 
"Hanabi," He called, keeping his voice natural. He waited as she paused in her last throw and neatly landed on a nearby tree trunk, darkly muttering things about her perfect throw ruined. "Hanabi, it's nearly sunset. Training for today is over, collect your tools and return home."
 
"Sunset? That's at least two hours away," She grumbled as expected, "If you're questioning my stamina, I can go on for another hour…"
 
With a loud thump, Hanabi lost her hold and fell onto the undergrowth beneath.
 
"Looks like you overestimated yourself," Neji watched in amusement as his cousin picked herself up with a groan. "Though that would be quite dangerous in a battle. Make sure to keep track of how much chakra you spent in each attack."
 
"Yes, yes…" Hanabi shot a look that had defiance clearly written over her features. "Well then, I'll be going now…"
 
She gave herself a good dusting and to Neji's dismay, turned towards the direction where Hinata was. If she weren't completely out of chakra, Neji would have been expecting her to notice. Well this is convenient, now let's think of a good excuse…
 
"Er, Hanabi, did your father give any special requests to you?" Neji quickly asked to stall for time.
 
"Special requests? Now come to think of it, I think he did. No idea what it was though…" Neji was both relieved and frustrated. Hiashi's plan would be completely ruined, all because of Hanabi's bad memory.
 
"Oh yeah! He wanted me to buy a replacement chair, the one that I broke by accident. But isn't it a little late to go furniture shopping?" She looked up quizzically at her older cousin. Neji shrugged, feigning indifference.
 
"Well, didn't you promise that you'd buy it weeks ago? I'm sure the shopkeeper wouldn't deny you if you just add on the part that your father might yell at you for being late…"
 
That seemed enough to convince Hanabi, who departed immediately. A huge relief, since Hinata's running wasn't altogether that slow, even if she couldn't keep up with Hanabi. She had almost arrived when Neji decided to make an exit as well. Tears forming rivulets down her cheeks, she had flung herself to the nearest tree stump and collapsed on it, completely oblivious to the fact that Neji and Hanabi had been in this area until recently. Neji caught the last sight of her, shoulders slumped, body racked with sobs, and her pale form looking as vulnerable and helpless as ever, he couldn't help but feel an immense stab of guilt, although technically he didn't do anything. Neji being Neji, had rationally decided from the start to avoid her. Seeing her now caught him slightly off guard. He knew that she would be sad, extremely sad even, but thinking about it would in no way prepare him to witness her overflowing grief, and he felt a little awkward. Shrugging off that feeling along with the notion that he should do something about it, he turned away and headed home. What was he to Hinata? He couldn't possibly comfort her at such a time, especially being her family member. Still, his last glimpse of her pathetic state nagged him the rest of the day, awaking strong senses of sympathy for Hinata, who's life was if possible, even more unfortunate than his own.