Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Sin Eater ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Sin…” Hokage silently called the boy… he was still trying to get used to the new name. For almost 13 years, he had been practicing how to greet Yondaime's son…
 
“Naruto… welcome to our village… the village of your father…”
 
But now, the boy's name isn't even Naruto anymore. He also wasn't what he expected. Cool, confident, coldly indifferent, yet not hostile… The Hokage didn't know where to even begin. There was a reason why he had called the boy here… but now that he was now face to face with him, he didn't know whether to ask, or to just leave him alone.
 
“Yes, Hokage?” Sin asked, looking at the old man with a curious gaze, yet didn't drop his cold indifferent face. “You were on the verge on telling something.”
 
Nothing seemed to escape the boy, and the Hokage could only give another gaze at him. He looked back towards the Undertaker, and he saw the man smirk. The Hokage sighed. “Sin… welcome to our village. If you didn't know, this is the village where…”
 
“Where my father died, yes,” Sin replied, looking at the Hokage neutrally. “He took the Hokage name and protected the village against the onslaught of the Kyubi.”
 
“Ah… yes… guess you know that, eh, my boy?” Hokage laughed nervously.
 
“Yes, but that wasn't what you wanted to ask of me…”
 
“Oh?” the old man looked at Sin, the boy's face still neutral.
 
“Yes, there was a reason why you have called me back, is it not?” Sin asked without pause. “Please, feel free to say it.”
 
The Third frowned. He took a look at the Undertaker, to see if he looked angry, but was surprised to see him give a small smile. The old man forced himself a small smile as well… “He's either reading my mind… or is unusually sharp…”
 
“Oh, it's not that,” the Undertaker replied. “The Council of the Order has already suspected you making plans when you have requested his presence. We have both told that there is a high chance of you having an ulterior motive in calling Arashi's only son.”
 
“Ah… so… I guess I needn't need to ask…” the Third muttered. “I'm sorry for calling you all the way here. I have hoped you both would have been agreeable…”
 
“Oh, but we are being agreeable,” the Undertaker's smile went a bit wider. “The Order has dispatched us. We have been assigned to this village for a short while… and they have also agreed to give you any help we can give.”
 
The Third's eye suddenly went wide, looking at the Undertaker. “My… well… that's…”
 
“Shocking? Surprising?” Sin suggested.
 
“Unexpected, actually…” the Third gave the boy a small smile. “Though… Am I correct in assuming you both having an ulterior motive in staying here?”
 
“We don't have any,” the Undertaker said silently. “The Order has. We are just following their orders.”
 
“And in our orders, we may partake requests you have any of us,” Sin gave a small nod, and gave another rare small smile. “We are here to assist you after all. So, Hokage-san, ask. What's on your mind?”
 
The Hokage smiled. “Well… there's one ninja team that needs help…
 
Sin Eater
 
Sin and Team 7
 
The sun rose higher and higher, and in the training grounds of Team 7, Sasuke Uchiha and Sakura Haruno were both waiting for their Jounin teacher t appear… though they didn't raise their hope that he would be there early. The silver haired, always late, and reading that perverted book nin had probably the worst sense of timing.
 
They should have been complaining, but they didn't. They were grateful. If it wasn't for Kakashi, there wouldn't have been a team. In their class, Iruka was able to team most of the class to balance… unfortunately, Sasuke, the number one rookie, and Sakura, the smartest girl on the class didn't fit anywhere. Kakashi, maybe out of pity (though its said he was just bored doing nothing) took Team 7 even with one member missing.
 
Though Sasuke and Sakura might have regretted it a bit, after seeing their teacher's habits, and given the way they spent countless hours doing almost nothing, they tend to see whether it was worth it not going back to the academy and wait for someone to graduate and fill their shoes.
 
“Um… Sasuke-kun…” Sakura began to nudge her fingers a bit, getting nervous. She has done this lots of times, yet always seemed to feel like this was the first time. “Want to go… out sometime?”
 
Sasuke gave her a neutral look that he gave her every time she asked. “No… I'm busy,” he replied, the same thing, word per word. Sakura gave the same unhappy frown, and she began once again to look at her feet. Sasuke ignored her.
 
“When's he coming?!” Sakura suddenly asked, a bit furious.
 
“I don't know…” Sasuke gave another neutral expression. “Sakura, you should get used to it already. Our Jounin sensei can't come early even if the Village is on fire.”
 
Suddenly, a voice from above them declared, “Now, now, Sasuke, Sakura. Is that how you talk to your sensei?”
 
Sakura jumped, and Sasuke just looked up. “I knew you were there, that's why I said that,” he said, neutrally again. “You're a bit early today, Kakashi-sensei.”
 
“Ah, yes…” Kakashi began to scratch his head, looking rather comical. “I've been told that there's a special mission for us… The Hokage is waiting for us actually, as we speak.”
 
Sakura's eyes widened. “Special Mission? Could it be that he's going to finally give us a C-Mission?”
 
Sasuke gave a frown. “We can't have C-Missions until we have a third member… that's the rule. Even the Hokage had said so.”
 
Sakura's eyes widened a bit, and excitedly jumped… “What if the Hokage gave us our third member now for the special mission?”
 
Both Kakashi and Sasuke frowned at the statement. “Sakura, graduations won't happen until next month. I doubt that we'd have a third member now,” Sasuke replied, putting his patented neutral Uchiha face.
 
“And I wouldn't try and add a team member now before sending us to a special mission. Would you see how it would affect teamwork if we're given a new member without prior warning?” Kakashi asked thoughtfully. “Its possible, but quite a… foolish action.”
 
“Well… we really won't know what the Hokage wants if we're sitting here,” Sasuke declared, looking towards the Hokage office. “Let's go.”
 
The other two people behind him agreed, and the three began to walk towards the Hokage's office, not knowing what to expect.
 
.______________.
 
At the Hokage's office, Sin was reading two files given to him by the Third, and the Undertaker, seemingly, found interest in the flowers in the vase at the desk. The Third just watched the boy raptly as he read at least 26 files, all reports on the two Gennins Uchiha Sasuke, and Haruno Sakura. The two files he held were their academic records, and the other neatly stacked files were their mission details.
 
The mission details showed almost nothing because all it had were times and places of the mission, and most were usually pulling weeds, rescuing and finding missing pets. It's also hard to read from the chicken scratches the jounin made in the mission details, so Sin concentrated on studying the files given by the Academy's teacher.
 
“Haruno Sakura… from the Haruno family?” Sin asked to the Third, though his eyes didn't move away from the file he was reading.
 
“Yes… she seems to have inherited Haruno's cleverness and above average Chakra control,” the Third replied.
 
“You sure it isn't because she doesn't have that much capacity of charka to have trouble in controlling?” Sin asked, looking at the third with a raised eyebrow.
 
“Well…” the Third replied sheepishly. “She does seem to be a bit… weak…”
 
“Girl's tend to have less charka then males,” Sin said neutrally, going back to the files. “She seems to have a good head.” He switched files, and took another look, and said, “Uchiha Sasuke, from the Uchiha Clan, am I correct?”
 
“Yes… number one rookie of his year.”
 
Sin gave a look towards the Undertaker, and the man shared the look. “Uchiha Itachi's younger brother…” the Undertaker said to no one in particular, though both Sin and the Third gave a short nod.
 
“No manifestation of the Sharingan?” Sin asked.
 
“No… though we believe it will happen soon,” the Third replied.
 
“And finally, who is their current jounin teacher?” Sin asked.
 
“Hatake Kakashi…”
 
“The White Fang's son? The Copy Ninja?” Sin asked his tone a bit stronger.
 
“Yes… you know a lot,” the Third commented.
 
“We also know his habits. We also know that he is very reluctant to take students, and gives out hard tests which both challenge the new graduates physically and mentally as well,” Sin replied. “He's style is almost similar to Morino Ibiki's, but not in an extreme way. And Ibiki is more disciplined.”
 
“Ah… yes… quite. Seems nothing seems to escape the Order,” the Third coughed a bit. “Kakashi accepted the remaining two graduates to train, and do missions… but unless they get a third team member, they can't do missions like C classes, and for them to enter the upcoming chuunin exam, they need to at least have one C-missions.” The Third paused for a bit, then continued to say what was on his mind, “And… I think they deserve a C-mission. They have done countless menial D Missions that I think are affecting their own ninja skills.”
 
“You want two members of the two prominent clans of the village to advance ranks,” the Undertaker said simply. The Third seemed to be taken aback, and raised his two hands.
 
“Yes, but not because they are heirs of those clans… but because I feel they truly deserve it,” the old man replied. “I was hoping that Naruto… Sin, sorry,” he apologized after Sin's eyes shifted to him a bit, “I was hoping Sin would accompany the two ninja clans to their C-Mission which I think they deserve. It works… Sin, not having joined in the ninja ranks, nor taken exams, and can be called a genin who would accompany Team 7 on their first C-Mission.”
 
“You don't need to hope,” Sin gave a reply. “I have said already earlier. We are here to help. I believe you called the Team, and are about to arrive downstairs to get their first C-Mission?”
 
The Third gave a nod. “Yes… Sin… I want to thank you… This is something a vllage would never ask of the Order… but still… I thank you.”
 
“Sarutobi-san,” Sin called, “there is no need for thanks. It's my mission.”
 
.__________________.
 
“Thank you for coming,” the Third greeted Team 7. “I have seen the progress reports, and I'm frankly quite pleased with this team's progress of late. I am even considering in giving you your first C Mission so you may enter the upcoming chuunin exams.”
 
Sakura was the first one to react in the group. Having this world missing Naruto in her team, she became a more… well, careful, and probably smarter replacement. But she and the canon Naruto had lots of similarities. “Eh? You're going to give us a C Mission, Hokage-sama?!”
 
Sasuke's eyes went up, and his fist closed a bit tightly. Kakashi's eyes widened a bit, very thoroughly surprised. Was the Third going to give them an exception and send Team 7 to their first C Mission?
 
“You know the rules as well as I do, Sakura,” the Third gave an almost apologetic look. Sakura, Sasuke, and Kakashi's backs formed humps, practically looking dejected. The Third would have laughed, but continued… “Which is why I have found you a third team member. Sin, please enter.”
 
Sin's coat just waved through the air as he walked, still wearing the cool demeanor he usually wears. But what's new now is the pair of dark shades he hadn't worn earlier when he had arrived. His slow yet careful steps seemed to unnerved Kakashi, as his eyes, if possible, went wider. After a few moments, he stood motionless in front of the team, beside the Hokage.
 
“Good morning,” Sin greeted. “I'm Sin. Pleasure to meet you.”
 
Sasuke went silent, and so was Kakashi, both looking at Sin intently. Sakura took initiative, and replied back, “Uh… hi. Nice to meet you too Sin. My name is Haruno Sakura.” She gave a small smile.
 
“Uchiha Sasuke,” Sasuke introduced himself simply.
 
“I'm their jounin teacher… Hatake Kakashi,” Kakashi gave a jovial wave.
 
“Sin here will be joining your team effective immediately,” the Hokage said after all the introductions were done. “I called in a favor from a small village nearby who's training a few young boys with ninjitsu,” the Third was lying smoothly. Sin gave him a side-way look, and gave a small, yet unnoticeable smile. “I think he'll be a valuable asset to you.”
 
“Um… Hokage-sama,” Kakashi began to talk. “If I may say so… wouldn't it be wise to see his abilities to see how well he'll work with us before sending us to our mission? I mean… the teamwork could be disastrous…”
 
“But you'll have no time, Hatake,” the Third simply replied. “This particular mission will take you to Wave Country…”
 
“But…”
 
“Excuse me…” Sin suddenly spoke, making the two adults quiet down. “If I may say so, sir… you don't have to worry about me. Uchiha-san and Haruno-san can continue using the techniques, or any group formations you have taught them, and I will just do my own thing.”
 
Sasuke snorted. “Your own thing? Wouldn't that make you a liability instead of an asset?”
 
Sin just looked at him neutrally. “No. If any of you are in trouble, I will help. You have my word on that. If I feel that the situation can be handled, I shan't interfere with you.”
 
Kakashi looked at the Hokage… “Sir… is this…”
 
“Don't mind him,” Hokage gave a smile. “He's… always like that. I suggest you don't doubt anything he says. Who knows, he might surprise you all.”
 
Kakashi sighed, and bowed dejectedly. He raised his eye to look at Sin again, and back again to the Third, who was now going towards his table, and grabbed a scroll with a letter C on it. He slowly came back towards the group, and gave Kakashi the scroll.
 
“You're first C mission,” the Hokage began, “is to escort a bridge builder to Wave Country.” The door suddenly opened, and an old man with small glasses in his eyes came out, with a bottle of sake in his hand. He had apparently been drinking, and his cheeks were a bit pink. “Team 7, meet Tazuna. You will all escort and protect him from thieves, and gangs along the way.”
 
“This it…?” Tazuna looked at the group. “Kinda young aren't they? Sure they're enough to protect me? The one wearing all black looks like some priest-goth weirdo.”
 
Sasuke and Sakura automatically looked at Sin and see if he'd react. They saw him standing completely still, with only the flaps of his coat waving with the gentle wind. Kakashi gave a small scratch behind his neck, and said, “Well… I'm a jounin, so even if there is trouble more than they could handle, I'd count for something… right?”
 
“Yeah… whatever. So, we'll be leaving tomorrow?” Tazuna asked.
 
“Yes,” the Third replied. “Tomorrow Team 7 will accompany you.” Tazuna gave a small nod, and exited the place. He looked at Team 7, and gave them a small smile. “Now, this will be your first C Mission. I shall be looking forward to a very successful one. Mission details with the scroll, so ask Kakashi what time you'll have to meet tomorrow.”
 
Kakashi gave a small nod, and knew that they were dismissed. Motioning for Team 7 to follow them, he made move towards when he stopped when he noticed that Sin was still standing where he was, unmoving. “Uh… Sin, are you coming?”
 
“No. I shall talk with my sensei for a while. I shall meet you tomorrow at the gate at 8 AM, exactly the start of the mission,” Sin gave a small bow. “Been a pleasure to meet you.”
 
Kakashi raised his eyebrow, but didn't question it, and exited, with Sakura and Sasuke following. When the door closed, Sin gave a look at the place where the door was leaning when it was open, and the Undertaker was standing there, cross armed and leaning on the wall.
 
“Well, that went rather well,” the Third gave a small smile. “Again, I thank you both.”
 
Sin and the Undertaker both nodded, and began to walk towards the stairs leading upstairs. The Hokage followed.
 
.______________.
 
“What a weird kid,” Sakura declared, thoroughly confused by the boy in black. Sasuke was quiet, as always. Kakashi was looking very thoughtful though.
 
“The Hokage's been acting weird. He really seemed confident that the mission will go without a hitch and I have a feeling it's this Sin character which is why the Hokage seems to be really confident,” Kakashi said. “And this Sin… he's really... something else…”
 
“He probably just a boy with some skills and thinks he's the strongest,” Sakura shrugged. “No one is stronger than Sasuke-kun.” And she gave wink to the raven haired boy, who just ignored her as always.
 
Kakashi didn't say anything, though he did gave the door which made way to the Hokage's office a bit more glances than what one would consider normal. Well, whatever they would want to know from Sin, he'd see it coming with the mission.
 
._______________.
 
The sun rose with no complications. The moon faded with no trace. It was once again another normal day for the village. Little children came out to play… Academy students started school, wives cooking, father's drinking coffee and reading newspapers, and genins doing missions all around the Hidden Village. In the front gate though, at 7:56 AM, Sakura, Sasuke, and surprisingly, Kakashi were there on time.
 
Tazuna came up at 7:58 AM, and Team 7 was looking around for a sign of Naruto. When one minute passed, Sakura began to mutter to herself. “Where is he?”
 
“He's probably just taking his time… or lost…” Kakashi scratched behind his neck.
 
“Or he ran…”
 
“Or fixing that hedgehog spike hair style of his…”
 
“Or is right here, wondering why you are all commenting about me…” Sin's voice suddenly came from Team 7's right, and 4 heads turned to him. He gave them a wave. “Yappo.”
 
Kakashi's eyes was wide again, and Sasuke's eyes narrowed. Tazuna's went wide and back to normal again. Sakura seems to be the only one reacting well to him… by jumping high, and being very pale.
 
“When did you get here?!” Sakura demanded, her heart beating quite fast. No one was able to sneak up on her that close! Sure, people easily sneak up on her, but he was just a few inches away from her, and wearing all black again. Who wears black in the morning and not be seen?
 
“When you asked where I was, Haruno-san,” Sin replied, and gave a nod to Team 7. “Sin here, reporting to duty. Shall we start the mission?” He gave a look to Tazuna who was intently staring at him. “Sir, shall we begin escorting you to Wave Country?”
 
“Yeah, whatever…” Tazuna began to walk towards the front, and Team 7 with Sin followed through. After a few minutes of walking, he looked back at Team 7 and Sin, then was about to speak when he just closed his mouth and continued walking.
 
Silence reigned for the first few minutes. Sasuke and Sin walked in steady steps following Tazuna, while Sakura slowed her pace to reach Kakashi who was behind them. “Kakashi-sensei…”
 
“Yes Sakura-san?” Kakashi asked.
 
“Are there shinobi's in Wave Country?”
 
“No, not really,” Kakashi replied easily. “Wave Country is quite a small and poor country to afford shinobis.”
 
“So… we won't be meeting any Shinobis along the way, right?” Sakura smiled with the idea. She didn't want her first important C Mission with Sasuke-kun to fail… oh what would he think of her? Would he hate her?
 
“I don't think so,” Kakashi gave a nod to Sakura, who was smiling. “In C Missions, we'll be facing only robbers, and small time gang members. Your levels, most likely.”
 
“But…” a voice said beside them, making both Kakashi and Sakura jump. Sin was beside them, walking the same pace they were. “Just because its said to be a C Mission, doesn't mean there won't be any shinobi. Life is unpredictable, ever changing… so expect the unexpected.”
 
Sakura's temper flared up. This was the second time the boy had sneaked up on her. “Well, the Hokage wouldn't give us the Mission if it was too advanced for us!”
 
“Ah, yes,” Sin gave a small smile, his eyes closed, giving an expression that he was enjoying the conversation. “But take note of this: Tazuna comes from a poor country. He, himself hired us. There is a chance, no matter how small, that he might have been lying.”
 
“And why would he lie?” Sakura demanded. Sin was about to reply when Kakashi suddenly spoke.
 
“Because the higher the rank the mission is, the higher the fee will be paid…” Kakashi's hand stroked his chin. “Sin does raise a good point… though I'll ask… What makes you think shinobis will be interested in a bridge builder?”
 
Sin shrugged. “Who knows? Like I have said, life is unpredictable. We might be surprised what we can find out as the mission goes.” And he began to walk in a faster pace, leaving Sakura and Kakashi on their thoughts.
 
What a weirdo… Sakura thought.
 
That's the second time he sneaked up on me… Kakashi thought with a frown. He hides his presence so easily… I wonder what else he hides under his sleeves…
 
Kakashi's eye suddenly went down towards the puddle of water, and then continued walking.
 
.______________.
 
As Team 7 passed by, the puddle of water slowly began to vanish as two shadows began to emerge from it. The two shadows had two metallic claws in their hands, and suddenly rushed towards Kakashi. Before the silver haired teacher could react, he found himself wrapped around a very sharp barbed chain.
 
“One down…” the shadows both said in complete sync, and yanked the chain hard, ripping Kakashi to shreds.
 
Sakura screamed. Tazuna's face paled. Sasuke's eyes narrowed. Sin's face stayed neutral. And it stayed neutral when he saw the two shadows in front of him.
 
“Two down…”
 
Sasuke jumped in, and threw a throwing star and a kunai towards the flying chain before it had the chance to wrap itself against Sin. The star pinned the chain near the tree, and the kinai secured the star in the tree.
 
The two shadows noticed that they couldn't move their arms because their chain which was connected to they metal parts of their arms were stuck, and before they could react, Sasuke landed on their extended arms, and gave a double kick, each feet in both their faces, making them stagger back, and letting go of the chain.
 
The shadows began to separate now, one going for Tazuna, who was now frozen in fear, and the other going for Sin. Sakura saw where the shadow was going, and rushed in front of Tazuna to defend him, and Sasuke came in front of Sakura to defend her. Sin just looked at the one going towards him, unmoving, and at the last second, both shadows were grabbed in their necks by Kakashi.
 
“Kakashi-sensei!” Sakura's eyes went almost in tears.
 
“… show off…” Sasuke whispered his eyes showing annoyance and irritation.
 
“Saved…” Tazuna gave a soft whisper his eyes showing relief.
 
“Ah, sorry guys, I was late… but good job, Sakura, Sasuke…” Kakashi gave them a smile. He turned to Sin, who was now looking at him neutrally. “I'm sorry I couldn't arrive sooner, Sin… but I didn't think you'd freeze up like that… I got you wounded.” And he pointed at Sin's hand.
 
Sasuke smirked. “What's wrong, scaredy cat?”
 
Sin just snorted. “Heh…” and began to continue walking.
 
“Oi, wait Sin!” Kakashi called. “Their weapons were laced with poison… if you don't take out…”
 
“I'm unaffected by poison, Kakashi-san. I suggest you finish those two off, and let's be on our way,” Sin said neutrally.
 
“Wait, Sin, there are things we need to know about…” Kakashi began.
 
“Things like…?” Sin asked.
 
“Things like who's the target is…” Kakashi looked at Tazuna who stepped back.
 
Tazuna was about to speak when Sin beat him too it. “Its obvious, isn't it…? They were after Tazuna-san.”
 
The old man froze, as Team 7 eyes went to him. “Bu… but… why would ninjas be interested in me?”
 
“His bridge is a threat to a powerful business man, who in his disposal has Mist missing nins…” Sin stated. “A man named Gatou.”
 
Tazuna's face was now pure white.
 
“Gatou?” Sakura asked. “Who's that?”
 
“A powerful business man,” Sin replied. “He conquered Wave Country with his money, and began to rule over it with an iron fist. He controls most of the shipments coming through the sea, and if I am not mistaken, Tazuna is building a bridge which will break the monopoly of the shipments held by Gatou… and I don't think he likes that.”
 
Kakashi's eye widened, and looked at Tazuna who looks very frightened. “So… you lied to us about what's after you… if there were shinobis involved, the rank of the mission would have been a B…”
 
“So… we aren't ready for this at all!” Sakura declared, smiling nervously. “I mean… we're only genins… we can't face other ninjas yet!”
 
Kakashi looked at Sin who was looking back at them, apparently waiting. “Well… we can always go back to the village now… and probably treat Sin there.”
 
Sin gave another snort. “Heh. Either way, I don't really care.”
 
Tazuna's heart leapt… and before anyone could move, he suddenly bowed. “Please… don't quit the mission…”
 
Kakashi looked at the bridge builder. “We have to… missions like these aren't taken by genins, especially at their levels. We got lucky this time… but who knows who else is out there trying to get us?”
 
Tazuna was still on his knees… “I know… but please… I know your laws… endangering ninjas because of false details… but I can't be taken in for time… the bridge is in near completion… Wave Country needs it…”
 
Kakashi looked at Sakura and Sasuke… Sin looked at them.
 
“I will pay you the mission… whether it will be B or A, or even S… this is how much Wave Country needs its bridge…” Tazuna whispered.
 
Sasuke gave a nod, and Kakashi sighed. “Alright… Team 7 will continue the mission.”
 
Sin gave a silent nod, and waited for the 4 people to catch up with him before he began to walk again…
 
 
To Be Continued…
 
 
NEXT: Zabusa, Training, and Haku!