Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Sorrow ❯ Life and Death ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Naruto closed the door behind him, breathing hard. Sasuke had given him such a scare!
'At least I got that last kiss...' Naruto thought. He smiled. He had no regrets. He had kissed Sasuke again. He had eaten the best and most expensive Ramen at the Ichiraku. He had said goodbye to everyone, even if not to their faces. He was ready.
He took one last look around his shabby apartment before walking into his bedroom.
"Goodbye... Sasuke." he whispered, holding the image of the sleeping man in his mind. It was the only thing he wanted to see now. He drew out a kunai, holding it tight as he savagely stabbed it into his own stomach. He choked, but it was only from surprise- the feeling was far more liberating than he had expected. He pulled it out of his stomach, stabbing it in again. Again. Again. Soon, his whole front was covered in blood.
'So... slow...' he thought, nearly crying at the agony he felt and at the perverse joy it brought him. He weakly raised the kunai again, slashing his wrist. Blood gushed forth as he fell to his knees, falling into the rapidly growing puddle of blood beneath him. He felt it soak into his pants as he transferred the kunai to his other hand, slashing open the other wrist. He sucked in a deep breath, but a strange gargling sound prevented him from a truly deep breath.
He lifted the kunai again, not hearing the frantic pounding on the door, then the loud crack as it was broken down.
He did hear his name though. It sounded so far away.
"Naruto!" He tried to move his lips, but they felt sliggish.
"Naruto!" He saw Sasuke's face appear before him in the doorway to his room. His eyes opened wide, but it was so hard to open them. He fell back, dropping the kunai. Before he hit the ground, Sasuke caught him.
"Sa...suke?" he said, blood gargling in his lungs and giving his voice a strange, watery quality. "Why..."
"Don't talk. You idiot..." Sasuke said, though his words held no bite as he quickly ripped his cloak into strips. Naruto smiled.
"I'm... fine..." Sasuke glared at him.
"No you're not." He forcefully grabbed Naruto's arm, quickly wrapping a bandage tightly around it. Naruto struggled to pull his arm away, but his feeble attempts were nothing to Sasuke.
"Let me... go. Don't want... no more." Naruto mumbled, trying to pull himself away. Everything was so dark though. So dark...
"Naruto? Naruto!" Sasuke's voice was so far away. Faintly, he felt Sasuke frantically wrap his other arm, then try to wrap his stomach.
'Too late...' Naruto thought, smiling and feeling truly happy. 'I'm almost there. Just a few more minutes...'

Sasuke frantically bandaged Naruto's stomach with the remains of his cloak. Naruto's face was chalk-white from lack of blood, and Sasuke's was about the same shade from shock.
Naruto's stomach had been completely mutilated- he had stabbed himself so many times it was hard to tell what was flesh and what was organ. He quickly wrapped it up then grabbed the dying- perhaps already dead- man and ran.
"Damnit, you are not going to die on me! You hear me!?" he spoke to the limp body in his arms. He ran straight for the Hokage's office- Tsuande often stayed until dawn, just working. He had to hope that she would be there.
He ran like a man possessed, not slowing down. He did not know that he could physically reach that speed, but he somehow managed it. He burst into the Hokage Tower, running straight to the office. The guards almost tried to stop him, saying that Tsuande was in a meeting with some nobles, but Sasuke ran right inside.
"Hokage-sama!" he yelled, bursting in the doors. Tsuande looked up, annoyed.
"What is so importa-"
"It's Naruto! Please, help him." Sasuke begged. Tsuande glanced down at the blond man in his arms, her face going white.
"Put him down on my desk. Does he still have a pulse? You-" she pointed at the two Anbu guards in the room. "Get my assistants. Now." They disappeared.
"Hokage-sama-" one man began, obviously upset about the inetrruption of their meeting. Tsuande glared at him.
"We'll continue later. Out!" She shooed them out, coming over to Naruto when that was said.
"No pulse." she said. "Damnit." She began channeling her chakra, commencing CPR and trying to restart his heart.
"What happened?" A medical nin came in at a run. "The Anbu said it was an emergency and I was the only one-" Her gaze fell on Naruto, and suddenly the aide sighed.
"I thought it was something important. I'm not wasting my chakra on Kyuubi's vessal." Tsuande looked up at the aide, an order written on her face and a glare in her eyes, but Sasuke got there first. He appeared right in front of the nin so quickly it didn't seem humanly possible. He grabbed the front of the nins shirt and growled right in the scared woman's face.
"Naruto is hurt and he could die. I don't give a shit about him being Kyuubi's vessal- and you WILL help him. Got it?" Something in Sasuke's gaze convinced her, and she began nodding rapidly.
"Yes.. yes of course-!" He dropped her and she went to work. Sasuke went back to Naruto's side, making sure he wasn't in the way of Tsuande or her aide, and grabbed his hand.
'Come on Naruto- you can't die like this!' He thought. A few tears escaped the Uchiha's eyes for the first time in years as he saw the efforts of the medical nin failing. A few drops fell onto Naruto's hand.
"You can't die... not yet." Sasuke whispered. "You can't go and just leave me alone again."

Naruto watched the scene unfold from somewhere in the deep recesses of his mind.
'Sasuke? Crying? Over me?' he thought. If that was surprising, then his next words shocked Naruto to the core.
"You can't die... not yet. You can't go and just leave me alone again." Naruto's eyes flew open, even as he heard Tsuande and the medic aide talking.
"We're losing him! Come on Naruto, fight back! Come on back to us!"
'What?' he thought, pressing himself to the screen he was watching this on. Was Tsuande-baba crying?
<It is time.> a ghostly voice spoke in his ear. He jumped, then turned. Standing behidn himn was a shadowy figure, swathed in black and carrying a scythe.
"What? Not yet... not already."
<It is time!> the figure insisted, holding out a skeletal hand to Naruto. <You have given up and you have to be across Styx. If you stay you will never truly rest. Your body has only a minute to live, and you have not the will to get it back.> It motioned impatiently. <Come.> Naruto turned to look again at the screen. It showed a close up of Sasuke's face, eyes streaming tears.
"He's not dead yet. He's not dead!" Sasuke was saying, clutching Naruto's hand.
"He's gone. His vital signs are flatlining. He doesn't have the will to live anymore. He wanted to go." Naruto heard a loud sniffle. "He's gone and he's left us all behind."
<Come.> Naruto looked at the ugly specter of death again.
"Could I return to my body? I want..." Naruto said, suddenly indesicive.
<You have a minute to live. There is little to no chance of survival and your soul will be damned straight to hell- no trial is given to those who fail to return to life.>
"I have a chance, though, don't I?"
<...Yes.>
"Send me back. If I die, I'll go straight to hell, no complaints." A brillient flash of light blinded him, then he was gone.

The first sensation Naruto had was of pain. Pain... and someone holding his hand.
<Sixty seconds.>
"We have his vitals back up! He coming back!" he heard Tsuande say excitedly. "Stabalize him."
<Fifty seconds.>
Naruto drifted back and forth between the black tunnel in his mind and the thin rope of life. He tried to cling to life, but the more he tried the more it would slip. More often than not, he found himself being sucked into the darkness.
<Forty seconds.>
"Damnit! We're losing him again! Get him stable!" Tsuande shouted. "Fight Naruto, fight it!"
Breathing was a chore. It hurt so much... his wrists were on fire. He just wanted to relax and fall into oblivian...
<Thirty seconds.>
The sensation of lips on his, drawing out the blood choking him and forcing him to breathe brought him closer to life. He tried to cough and breathe on his own, but it was like his muscles were on strike and they didn't know what to do.
<Twenty seconds.>
"He's flatlining again! Use more chakra around his heart as you press down!"
<Ten seconds.>
Naruto felt helpless. He didn't have the strength to face death.
He was going to die.
<Nine.>
Sasuke... His face swam in front of Naruto's vision for a second.
<Eight.>
Memories flashed in Naruto's mind. Sasuke, being all high-and-mighty. Sasuke, saving his life and nearly dying. Sasuke, fighting with him so that Sasuke could leave for Orochimaru. Sasuke, coming back with him. Sasuke, sleeping.
<Seven.>
"He's not coming back!"
<Six.>
I'm going to die. I...
<Five.>
I...
<Four.>
I'm going to miss everyone. I'm so sorry...
<Three.>
Sasuke...
<Two.>
Aishiteru.
<One.>
"Naruto!" Sasuke's voice called, so full of pain and anguish that all listening felt as if their heart had been torn out as well. The anguish and pain in his voice was so thick that it could have been cut with a knife. Anyone listening felt like crying, just from the mere power of that scream.
<Zero.>

End Chap. 3