Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Surprise, Blossom ❯ Feelings ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Surprise Blossom 2

(Sakura's P.O.V)


Today was a Friday, and Naruto, Sasuke and I were trying to think of something to do over the weekend.

“It seems like a hot weekend,” I said while eating my pizza slice. “I can wear my short shorts.” I grinned.

Naruto cackled. “Kekeke.” He paused to scratch his butt before proceeding. “Let's go to Ichi's Ramen shop.”

My hand rested on my palm, and from the corner of my eye I saw Hinata gasp at the next table over. I turned to look at her, and when she caught me she flushed red and hid her head beneath the table.

Sasuke was coolly eating his pizza, and not paying much attention to us. I gazed at him and sighed. Why hadn't I seen it before? All those years, I could've fallen for him as a child if I'd just slowed down and really taken a good look.

“Sure…” I said slowly. “Ichi's Ramen tomorrow. 2:00 o'clock?”

Naruto and also Sasuke looked at me funny. “How on Earth do you sleep so long?” Sasuke asked. I turned sheepish.

“Shut up!”

Suddenly, the bell rang and we had to leave. Naruto hurried away because Drama was all the way on the other side of Konja High. Sasuke and I got up at a slower pace and made our way to Athletics Gym.

On our way there, I caught sight of Hinata somewhere amongst all the people in the hall. “Go on without me. I have to talk to someone,” I said to Sasuke. He simply nodded and headed on.

“Hey Hinata!” I greeted, jogging down the hall towards her. She saw me and looked a little scared.

“H-hello Sakura.” She managed a smile. Well that was good news, she didn't hate me. She was only scared.

“Hey,” I repeated, and then didn't even pause to go on to my next matter. “So do you like Naruto?”

I shouldn't have jumped at it so fast because Hinata got so spooked that she tripped over a stray backpack and tumbled down onto the floor.

“Oh!” I bent down to help her. “Hinata, I'm so sorry! Did what I say embarrass you?”

She got up with my help and sighed. “N-no. It's my fault for tripping. S-sorry.”

She wasn't meeting my gaze anymore, though she never was. I bent my head to look at her. “Don't you have Math with him? You're smart, help him.”

Hinata looked startled. “H-how did you know I have Math?” She stared at me, a little creeped out.

I laughed loudly, which made her walk a little faster. “Naruto told me!” That slowed her down.

“N-Naruto?”

I smiled at her. “He knows you exist, Hinata! So help him!” Just then the warning bell rang and I had to speed off. “Do it!” I shouted over my shoulder. Hinata just stood in the middle of the hall, shocked.



I ran into Gym right on time, and was luckily the only one in the change room. Upon running out, I did my laps and then joined the group of stretching. Once that was done, I looked around for Sasuke and found him putting mats up on the wall.

“Basketball?” I asked. He nodded.

“Yeah.”

I watched him at work and sighed. “Why are you a man of few words?” I asked. “If you talked more, the girls wouldn't be so scared to come up to you.”

I found myself kind of anxious to hear his answer. While he took his sweet time, I tried to balance myself on my toes impatiently. “So…?”

Sasuke turned to me and smirked as he finished up with the last mat. “I can't help who I am.”

Well, that didn't clear anything up. I just shook my head at him and hurried off to get into position.


*TWEET!!!*

As the whistle was blown the sound of stomping feet filled up the room. I ran swiftly past a couple of tall guys and straight towards Sasuke, who had the ball. I tried to block him from behind, and then as I reached for the ball he threw it to someone I hadn't seen on the other side of me. I swore as I turned to run for it. But then, I locked eyes with Sasuke. His look knocked the wind out of me. I fell flat on my butt.

*TWEET!!!*

“Haruno!” the coach barked. “Everything okay back there?!”

I tried to do deep breathing. In, out….in, out… “Yeah, I'm fine!” I shouted back more calmly now.

“Okay! Let's resume!” Coach shouted. *TWEET!!!*

I hurriedly got up as the game started again. In, out…in, out…I ran towards the opponent's net, determined to get a goal before class ended in five minutes.

Guy #6 had the ball, and I easily stole it from him. I saw Coach run up to get a better look, the whistle ready at his lips. I jumped towards the net, avoiding outstretched hands. Everything became a blur except for myself, the net and the ball.

*SWISH* I had it in! As I fell towards the ground with the help of gravity, a couple of arms caught me and set me down. I jumped up and down and my teammates cheered. The coach blew his whistle and we all made our way towards the change room.

I wasn't that nervous in my little stall this time, and as I pulled on my green sundress I actually felt confident to go talk to Sasuke. I took twice as long to get myself ready, and then as I pulled my humongous black and white school-purse over my shoulder I stopped to admire myself in the mirror. I gave my hair a little fluff, and smiled because the dress really brought out my eyes.

Once out of the stall, I noticed that everyone was nearly gone. I hoped Sasuke hadn't left, thinking that I had already gone. I made my way towards the main changing area, but stubbed my toe on the way there.

Despite the pain I was happy as I collapsed onto a nearby bench. I rubbed my poor toe and smiled to myself. Sasuke and I had been best friends since childhood, I could totally tell him how I felt now. In fact, I kind of suspected that maybe he even felt the same way too. I was now grinning like an idiot as I stood up again.

I was almost out the door when I heard Sasuke's voice. For some reason it made me stop in my tracks as I listened. He was talking to some other guy I didn't know.

“So,” said the other guy. “That Haruno girl sure is impressive. I get it why they let a girl into Athletics.”

“Yeah,” Sasuke replied. I smiled and also kind of squealed to myself. I could SO tell him how I felt!

“And she's cute, too.” The guy said. It felt kind of weird to have a stranger say this about me, but decided it was a good thing after all.

Sasuke must have nodded or shrugged or something, because the guy kept talking. “Sasuke, do you have a, you know, thing for her?”

I held my breath because I was about to hear the sweetest words ever said. I closed my eyes in bliss. To have Sasuke admit he liked me would be like heaven.

Sasuke's laugh travelled to my ears. I opened my eyes and listened intently for his answer as the guy spoke up again.

“Do you like her?” I held my breath again.

“Nah man, no way.” My eyes widened. Had Sasuke…just fully rejected the idea of liking me? I suddenly felt like I'd received a blow to the guts.

“You sure, Sasuke?”

“I don't like her at all.”

“No chance?”

“None.”

They both left the change room, and I just kept standing there in the doorway. I hadn't been spotted, and Sasuke had no idea what I'd just heard. My first instinct was to break something, but instead I started crying. The room went dark because Coach had probably flipped the power, and I let myself sink to the floor.

He doesn't like me…at all? Not even a chance…I sniffed a little and tried to wipe the tears away. What had I been thinking anyways? Sasuke definitely would never like me. I was just his best friend, since childhood. If there was even a chance of him falling for me the fan girls would have ripped me apart years ago.

I sobbed a little and then made myself stop. There was no use in crying, it's not like I had been directly rejected. Sasuke didn't even know how I felt in the first place, so it was fine.

Sitting there, I made a promise to myself that no one would ever find out how I felt, especially not Sasuke. Sasuke could never know that I liked him because he definitely did not feel the same way. With this floating around in my head, I made myself get up and leave the gym. I had no idea how to face Sasuke in English and during our spare, but somehow I would get through it.