Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Team 16 ❯ New World ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
­DISCLAIMER: I don't own Naruto and I never did I do however on the characters of Brenna/Koe, Sarah/Ame, and Koinu. Hope you enjoy!
 
 
On a calm summer day the wind blew softly through a wooded forest. The serenity was broken only by the thunder of horses hooves as two girls in their teens raced side by side on their beautiful horses. The shorter of the two smiled joyously into the wind as her long black braid whipped violently across her face and shoulders. Grinning wildly she nudged her great chestnut gelding in the flanks urging him to go faster as the milky white mare passed them on the right side. The rider of said mare flashed a grin over her shoulder and laughed loudly while her shoulder length brown hair danced crazily.
 
The wind blew hard against the two girls as they continued to race forward the rhythm of hoof beats and breathing blended into one. Soon the girls could hear the soft gurgles of a river and they slowed their horses to a trot and continued along the trail. The trees began to thin out and when they approached the river's edge they dismounted and allowed their mounts a drink of the cool water. After a few peaceful moments the shorter girl turned to her companion.
 
“Sarah, do you think the horses are ready to go back now? I'm sure you're mom is expecting us by now.” Just as she spoke a small droplet of moisture hit the girl on the nose causing her to cross her eyes. Sarah giggled at her friend's face before glancing upwards.
 
“You're right Brenna. Besides, cold rain won't go well with overheated horses. Let's try to get back before the worst of the rain starts.” The two girls swiftly mounted their steeds and whirled them around traveling at a fast gallop down the trail they had come from. Two pairs of glowing eyes watched their departure. Just then the rain hit sending sheets of icy rain down upon the earth.
 
 
“Brenna!” Sarah called loudly over the pounding rain, “We can't run the horses in this damn rain! They'll get sick!” Sarah looked around trying to find a large tree to stand under to keep dry. Both the girls and horses shivered slightly as the rain began to chill them. The horses seemed anxious to continue onwards, the girls assumed they simply wanted out of the rain.
 
“Let's keep going Sarah!” Brenna shouted back “I think we only have to cross one more creek! Who knows when this storm will let up! If we stop we could be here for an hour!” Sarah nodded before urging her mare forwards slowly. Brenna swiped her face with her forearm desperately trying to see the trail in front of her. She couldn't see two feet in front of her face! Just as she was about to nudge the gelding forward a scream rang out ahead of her. Before Brenna could call out to her friend a large blur hit her squarely in the chest sending her flying backwards. She choked on her own scream of shock and terror as her head connected solidly into a tree trunk. For moment she swore the forest around her melted and swirled into a different place. Throbbing pain coursed through her body causing her to see hot white light. She moaned softly before calling out weakly.
 
“S…Sarah?” Brenna gripped the bark of the tree and tried to pull herself up, but the bark crumbled under her weight and she fell to the ground. She lay on her stomach in daze not noticing her friend lying on the ground just a few feet away. Sarah curled her hands into fists and raised her head painfully. Looking through the slackening rain she saw Brenna and forced herself to crawl towards her.
 
“B…Brenna…are you…alright?” She asked through gasped breaths.
 
“N…no not…really...” Brenna gave a grunt of pain as she forced her body into a sitting position propped against a tree. She opened her eyes a crack to see her friend struggling towards her. When her eyes focused her whole body stiffened with fright.
 
Walking at a slow unhurried pace was the largest coyote she'd ever seen on Sarah's property…no…not a coyote it was far too bulky…a wolf? No…it couldn't be. Wolves weren't native to this area. As she watched on in horror the wolf-like creature seemed to grin at her as its blood red eyes flashed in anticipation.
 
Sarah saw the fear in Brenna's eyes and she knew that someone or something was behind her. She could hear heavy panting behind her, warm breath tickled her neck, and a low growl reverberated behind her. Sarah began to tremble as she glanced into a large puddle of rain. The creature standing behind her could not be from this world. Its fur was black and gray patterned like that of a wolf. Its teeth were razor sharp and glinted in the sun that just began to peek out from behind the clouds. Its eyes were blood red and shone with bloodlust.
 
Sarah began to panic and her breathing became erratic. She snapped her head back towards Brenna only to see yet another creature slinking its way towards her. It looked almost like one of the gray foxes common to the area, but it was unusual. Foxes were skittish, small, and rarely seen. This fox figure was huge, almost the size of the wolf. Its fur was unkempt and scruffy and its eyes shone the same bloodthirsty red.
 
`Trapped…caught…young…prey…dead… delicious…mine…starved…” The words rang through the young girls mind almost as if they had been placed there by these terrible creatures. Suddenly both the animals pounced on the frightened girls.
 
Brenna's gaze was locked with that of the fox that held her pinned to the ground. Its black lips pulled up in an evil grin to reveal its jagged needle-like teeth. Raucous laughter seemed to echo in her head and she new that it was coming from this terrible monster. It was somehow sending its thoughts through her mind. She shook her head back and forth and ground her teeth together trying to force the laughter from her mind. She writhed beneath the animal and wriggled her right arm free.
 
Her hand shot forward as she tried to push the fox away but as her hand neared the animals head it quickly caught her small wrist and forearm in its mouth and applied bone-crushing pressure. Brenna shrieked in pain as blood oozed down her arm. Her body collapsed under the fox's crushing weight becoming limp and lifeless as she lost consciousness.
 
“Brenna!” Sarah screamed to her friend as the wolf-creature pressed all of its weight into her shoulder blades. As she fell her head cracked audibly against a large rock stunning her silent. The two animals grinned madly at their freshly caught meals and licked their jowls. The wolf nudged Sarah with its paw to flip her over to give him access to her soft belly. The rolling motion pulled Sarah from her daze and she began to scream and flail. The wolf gave an angry snarl and pressed its claws into her chest leaving deep punctures. As the white hot pain tore through her chest Sarah let out an even louder scream of pure agony.
 
Sarah's shrill screams had startled the fox as well as awoken Brenna. Brenna's eyes shot open and upon seeing the fox's bloody jaws her body seemed to act on its own as she too began to struggle with her attacker. Again her right hand shot towards her attacker. She vaguely noticed that the under the blood of her arm the various puncture wounds had healed into white scars and they seemed to be emanating an eerie green glow. Her open palm met with the fox's chest; blood and fur splattered across her face. The fox let out a pained yelp and jumped away from her giving one final snap of its jaws before disappearing into the foliage.
 
Brenna stared at her shaking hands in awe and horror. Blood and fur was trapped beneath her fingernails which had sharpened and elongated into dainty claws… `What the hell?' she thought to herself as she began to examine her scarred wrist more carefully. Where had the wounds gone? Suddenly she noticed that the silver bracelet she wore which normally fit snugly around her wrist seemed to have grown twice as large and threatened to slip off her hand. Turning sharply she noticed Sarah still struggling with the large wolf.
 
“Sarah!” Brenna screamed in a panicky voice as she lifted herself off the ground. The wolf seemed shock that the other girl was up and upon noticing that its partner had vanished gave an angry snarl. Before it could do anything however the girl it had pinned reached up and gave a hard punch to its muzzle. The wolf howled in pain as the fist connected, a resounding crunch reaching everyone's ears. The wolf shook its head in more pain before rushing speedily into the surrounding forest.
 
Sarah panted breathlessly as she struggled to stand. She stopped dead in her tracks as she heard Brenna gasp in shock. Afraid the creatures had returned she glanced around frightened, but when her gaze landed on her friend her own jaw went slack.
 
“What in the…” Sarah trailed off as she felt her pants sliding slowly down her hips. She snatched them just before they fell her eyes widening quickly as she noticed how huge her pants were. “Brenna…our clothes…our bodies…WHAT HAPPENED?!”
 
Brenna didn't reply because she didn't know what to say. Her bottom lip trembled uncontrollably and her legs shook violently. Her shirt hung baggily to her knees and she too had to grab at her belt loops occasionally to hold her pants on. She leaned against a tree for support as she began to wring her hands together nervously. She gasped suddenly noticing that her ring wasn't on her finger. She fell to her knees and began to search the ground for a glimmer of silver. It was then that she noticed they were no longer on the trail…in fact…this couldn't even be the same forest. They had been in a pine forest and these trees around them were certainly not pine trees. She faintly remembered her thoughts about the trees melting and changing…
 
“S…Sarah? Where are we?”
 
 
The two girls walked slowly through the strange forest. Sarah was in the lead seemingly lost in deep though. Brenna seemed to still be in shock as she walked along simply staring at the ground. She stumbled over her pants cursing lowly as she felt her feet move clumsily inside her now huge shoes. Frowning she sat on the ground and kicked off the oversized tennis shoes. She quickly rolled up her pants legs and ran barefoot to catch up to Sarah leaving the shoes. What good were they to her now anyways? Her braid had come loose in the struggle and her long hair had curled into bouncy waves and she was constantly swiping the black curls from her eyes. Her shocked state sent her brain into overdrive and her eyes darted around noticing every thing. Suddenly her eyes focused on one of the trees. They widened into huge circles as she pointed at the tree.
 
“Sarah! There's a guy in that tree!”
 
“Huh? What are you talking about?” Sarah asked confusedly as she looked at said tree only to have a flying object whiz right by her head. As the next object came flying she reached up and grabbed it in midair only inches away from her face. Surprised at her own reaction Sarah dropped the knifelike weapon to the ground and backed away from it.
 
“What the hell Sarah? Someone's attacking it and you drop the only weapon we have?! I mea…Sarah…” Hearing Brenna trail off Sarah turned around to be faced with a young boy about twelve or thirteen. He was taller than Sarah making him much taller than Brenna. He wore strange black sandals and his legs were wrapped to the knees in bandages. Grey shorts reached his knees and a pouch rested on his right hip. A navy blue vest-like jacket covered his chest and his lower face was hidden by a black mask. A piece of cloth with metal on it was tied around his upper right arm. By far the boy's most shocking features were his shaggy red and black hair and his fiery red eyes.
 
Sarah tried to take a step back and prepare to run but her pants leg was caught beneath her large shoe and she fell backwards on top of Brenna sending them both to the ground and to the mercy of this stranger. The girls looked up at the boy both shaking in fear. The boy only stared down at them with a stoic expression his thoughts never showing on his face.
 
`So…' He thought blandly staring at the strange energy surrounding Brenna's scarred wrist and Sarah's scarred chest `Calon and Tsurae seem to have picked two more victims. I wonder how these two girls managed to escape. Those mangy demons must have been losing their touch. Or perhaps these girls are like me…strong enough to escape you…strong enough to steal your own energy. Pathetic demons…”
 
“You two, stand up quickly!” The boy snapped harshly “There is much to do and little time to do it.”
 
“What are you talking about? Who are you and why did you attack us? What do you want with us?” Sarah was immediately ruffled by the boy's rude manner and was quick to snap at him. Brenna quickly jabbed her friend in the ribcage attempting to silence her before she said anything to really anger the boy. Sarah's temper had gotten the better of her, but Brenna had remained levelheaded she knew that this boy could kill. His manner and accuracy with his weapons told her that. His strange dress only served to reinforce her conclusion. He was some kind of warrior.
 
“Heh heh heh, your scared aren't you?” The boy laughed humorlessly. “Well you should be. Few survive the attacks of demons.”
 
“Demons…?” Brenna whispered lowly in an unbelieving tone.
 
“How do you know about those things?” Sarah asked sharply.
 
“Simple. I survived a demon attack just like you. Follow me and I'll tell you everything.”
 
Sarah seemed to hardly hesitate before beginning to follow the boy. Brenna grabbed onto her arm hard causing the taller girl to hiss in pain. Brenna looked at Sarah with distrust in her eyes. It was obvious that she did not want to follow the boy. Sarah only grabbed her hand and squeezed it reassuringly before pulling Brenna along behind her. Sarah wasn't stupid. She knew she couldn't trust the boy so easily, but she also knew that if they didn't follow this boy that they would be stuck here alone. She knew they would die if that happened. They would either starve to death or be killed by one of the creatures in the forest. They had no choice really.
 
 
The three of them had been walking for several minutes in uneasy silence when they reached a clearing the boy finally turned around to look at them again. He observed them silently for a moment.
 
“Your clothes are far too big for you now. I have some extra ones in my bags. They may not fit you perfectly but they will do for now.” As the girls looked around they noticed three bags propped against trees he went over to two of them and pulled an outfit from each before bestowing one set to each girl.
 
“What is your name?” Sarah asked slowly as she accepted her stack of clothing.
 
“Koinu…at least that's my name here…where I came from my name was Darien…Speaking of names what are yours?”
 
“Oh um I'm Sarah and this is Brenna.” Sarah replied a bit confused by what he meant by his name here.
 
“Nice names, but you'll have to get used to new ones.”
 
“What do you mean `new names'?” Sarah asked now thoroughly confused.
 
“Calon the fox demon has the ability to create dimensional portals. He makes portals to other worlds filled with weak inhabitants so that he and his companion Tsurae can feed on them. I don't know what dimension you come from exactly, but I can tell you that you are now in dimension full of ninja. You're in the Village Hidden in the Leaves or Konohagakure right now. Sarah and Brenna aren't exactly typical names here. They would draw attention to you. Now go behind those bushes and change I'll explain more when you're done.”
 
Brenna and Sarah looked at each other with grave faces. Neither knew how to respond to this information. They each picked a perspective bush and changed swiftly. When they were finished they looked at one another examining the strange new attire.
 
Sarah was dressed in a black shirt that was sleeveless and revealed her stomach coupled with a black miniskirt. Both the skirt and top featured purplish red stripes. Mesh covered her arms and legs and she now adorned a pair of the black sandals Koinu was wearing.
 
Brenna's outfit was a sleeveless dark gray dress that fell all the way to her ankles with silvery clouds gracing the bottom. The high collar was held together with a button and the buttons continued down to her waist where a burgundy sash was tied. From her waist down the dress was open revealing black shorts and the same black sandals. She held some burgundy arm warmers in her hands that had come with the outfit since her arms were still covered in blood. The outfits weren't their favorite styles or colors but they were comfortable and would do for now.
 
Silently the two returned from the clearing. Sarah stood staring at the boy who was making a fire while Brenna sat Indian style on the ground pressing her fingertips together and resting her chin on her thumbs. Brenna's thoughts were racing over all of the new information. The farfetched story the boy had told, demons, ninjas, Konohakagaka-whatever… Brenna then glanced up at Sarah who had turned her gaze towards her. Brenna arched her eyebrow and met her gaze.
 
“…What?” Brenna questioned slowly. She was caught off guard when Sarah burst into laughter. Annoyed at her friends lack of seriousness Brenna stood swiftly looking up at her now much taller friend with a sour expression.
 
“I'm sorry Brenna I just thought you had forgotten how to talk.” Sarah giggled causing Brenna to tilt her head and look at her strangely. “As soon as this guy attacked us you clammed up.”
 
Brenna sighed before scooping up her old shirt. She rubbed it fiercly across her face and arms getting the dried blood of the fox and herself off along with the remainder of her makeup. After all she didn't need it anymore she was what eleven or twelve again? She'd have to ask that guy about the whole shrinking business. She then slid the arm warmers on taking an extra moment to trace the scars on her wrist with her finger before covering them. Feeling someone's gaze on her Brenna turned towards Sarah only to find her fiddling with her own skirt trying to lower it for modesty's sake. Frowning she turned her head to the boy with two-toned hair only to find his gaze already on her.
 
“So…do you always go around with women's clothing” Brenna questioned harshly.
 
“Oh,” The boy began the outline of a smile showing beneath his mask. “So you can talk.”
 
“Well are you going to answer my question or not?” Brenna rolled her eyes and walked over to Sarah noticing again just how short she really was. Brenna wasn't a rude girl in fact she was normally one of the sweetest girls you could meet, but she didn't trust this guy. She was nervous and scared which caused her to lash out. Sarah suddenly burst out laughing again she was so used to Brenna's true bubbly personality that she found this serious version truly hilarious. Brenna only sent a glare at her friend which only made her laugh harder.
 
“So you're the unpredictable one aren't you Sarah?” Koinu asked with a smile.
 
“Why yes I am Koinu. What are you?” Sarah replied slyly as she walked over to him and ran her hand down his chest. Koinu blushed the same crimson color as his hair causing Sarah's laughter to return ten fold as she backed away to stand beside Brenna. Brenna covered her face with her hand and shook her head in embarrassment of her friend's antics. She just had to mess with the guy…didn't she?
 
“Well…uh…names right! Sarah your new name is Ame…here it means rain so…um…unpredictable.” Koinu seemed to regain his composure a bit before speaking again. “Brenna your name is now Koe. It means voice…considering you've hardly spoken you need one! Now learn them, remember them, and use them. Is very important that no one knows about your past. No one needs to know about your situation.” `The last thing you need is someone following you to experiment with your powers or worse kill you' He thought the last tidbit to himself.
 
“Koinu,” Koe spoke up again “you still didn't answer my question about why you carried around women's clothing.”
 
“Well Koe,” Koinu began as a deep sadness took over his tone. “My teammates brought those bags with some of their extra clothes into the Forest of Death with them for the Chuunin exams.”
 
“Chuunin exams?” Koe questioned confused.
 
“Teammates?” Ame murmured as she glanced around looking for said teammates.
 
“We're in the Forest of Death right now. My teammates and I were entered in the Chuunin exam which is a test that genin, the lowest rank of ninja, take in order to become chuunin, the next rank. Don't bother looking around though Ame…” Koinu continued darkly, “my teammates died on the first day in this god forsaken forest a rouge ninja from the sound village attacked us from behind to take our scroll. They never had a chance. He murdered them. I had a proctor come and remove their bodies but I chose to stay. I wanted to find the bastard and kill him myself for what he did. Unfortunately, I came across his body earlier today. I guess what goes around comes around.” Koinu finished bitterly.
 
Guilt seemed to resonate from Koe's body as she sighed and fidgeted nervously. A wave of empathy washed through her body as tears formed in her eyes and rolled down her cheeks. `Why do I feel so bad for this boy? What exactly happened to his teammates? Did they suffer? Was he forced to watch?
 
“I'm sorry…” Koe whispered softly unsure if he could even hear her. She suddenly felt the urge to rip the clothes from her body. The clothes that belonged to a dead girl. A hand pressed down on her shoulder as she looked up into Koinu's sincere face.
 
“Don't be.” He began slowly “You didn't kill them and you needed to know” Koe's lip trembled as she bowed her head her curly black locks hiding her face. She could feel the kindness coming from the boy, his gentle aura, a comforting soul…in that instant she trusted him. He felt like a….
 
“…brother.” The word spilled from Koe's lips as she began to sob. She wrapped her arms around the boys waist and began to bawl like a baby. Instinctively Koinu wrapped his own arms around the small shaking girl. He suddenly noticed how small the girl really was four foot and a half at the most. The top of her head was at his chest. She had completely broken down in front of him after hiding her emotions for nearly half of the day. She was so fragile…how had she been able to fight off a demon.
 
“Brother…” Koinu tried the word on his tongue. He looked down at the girl with a protective gleam in his eye. He wouldn't fail these two girls as he had his teammates. “I can do that.” Sarah too burst into tears as she joined in the emotional embrace letting all of her fears loose as well. They were both feeling so scared, sick, alone, and confused.
 
“Please don't cry.” Koinu murmured “I hate to see my unpredictable Ame cry.”
 
Ame felt her heart skip a bit as the boy's grip around her tightened. She too felt and unspeakable connection to this boy. He just felt so right, but she didn't think brother was the right word for this feeling. In just that moment he had made her feel safer and more protected than her longtime boyfriend Travis ever head. Her lips quivered as she thought of her home.
 
Koe was the first to compose herself and wipe her face clean of tears. She allowed a grin to grace her face as she poked Ame in the side.
 
“Cheer up emo kid.” She giggled softly causing Ame to smile widely. Koinu only looked on confused…what was an emo kid?
 
 
AUTHORS NOTE: Okies everyone friend Sarah and I have been writing this story for quite a while and a lot of its written out but this is the first time I've decided to post. It will get better as the story progresses and the Naruto cast will be included soon. Also the story will be changing and will be told from the POV of several of the characters as it goes on. If you liked please review and I'll add more later! Thanks everyone who reads!