Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Testing Grounds ❯ The Chase ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter One: The Chase
by Inunoyuki
co-written by Yura Furi


Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto. (::sigh:: That's alright...It's my dream to have Iruka.) Several new characters will be introduced in this story...they belong to me. If you would like to use them, please get my permission first. Oh, wait...If you want to use either Mihoko or Eiko you'll have to ask them. One is a former college roommate and the other is my future niece-in-law. Reviews are welcome but please don't flame me, burns hurt. I'll accept constructive criticism tho'. :)

Words between " " = speaking
Words in italics = thinking

On with the story....

The early morning sun slowly crept over the horizon and playfully cast it's rays on the figures carved on the Hokage monument. The sky was bright without a hint of a cloud. Not one creature stirred in this peaceful village, human or animal, until an alarm clock sounded in a lonely room.

A lone figure stirred in his bed and slapped his alarm clock off. It's 5 o'clock already? I don't want to wake up...that was such a good dream. Thought the young man as he rose from his bed. He walked over to his window and pulled open the shades. "Oh good, it's not raining!" Said the man as he looked out of his window. He closed the shades and proceeded to get dressed in his jogging suit. When he finished dressing he picked up his keys and left his apartment to do his daily routine, starting with a five mile jog.

As he was nearing the end of the first mile of his run he saw a young woman with long black hair, dressed in a red jogging suit. She was infront of an apartment building doing some stretching exercises. This young woman was his jogging partner. "You're running late again, I see. Well hurry up! I'm not going to wait for you!" He joked as he picks up his pace running past her infront of the building.

"Oh, Iruka...when I catch up with you I'll..." She breathed as she starts running after Iruka.

"You'll what?" Laughingly interrupts Iruka as he picks up his pace again, creating a greater distance between the two.

The young woman rolls her eyes and said, "Just you wait." She closes in on Iruka.

"I told you I wasn't going to wait!" laughed the Chuunin. He picks up his pace once more leaving his companion in the dust.

"Hey!" The girl runs faster to try to catch up to her friend. "Why you..."

As the couple run, they come across an open field. The young lady sees her chance to get back at her companion. She runs at him at full speed. "I'm going to get you!"

Iruka looks behind him in time to see the girl leap at him. He turns around to face her and is tackled. "Eiko, what did you do that for? Ouch!" The back of his head had connected with the ground.

"That's what you get for trying to leave me behind, silly!" Laughed Eiko. She still had Iruka in her grip and starts to tickle him.

Iruka begins to laugh and joins in the fun. He tickles her back. "You know...this is no way for two Chuunins to behave. Aren't we supposed to set an example for the Genins?"

"I guess you're right, Iruka. You stop first."

"Ok." Iruka removes his hands from Eiko's ribs and looks into her eyes.

Eiko leans closer to Iruka still giggling. She looks like she is about to kiss him.

"See ya!" She places her right hand on top of Iruka's head leaping over him and runs as fast as she can down the street.

Iruka stares after the girl. "Women!" he sighed. He stands up and quickly brushes himself off. Shaking his head he runs after the girl. When he caught up to her he said, "That...was a dirty trick!"

"Well, it serves you right!" laughed Eiko. The pair run for awhile in silence.

"Ok...we've got less than a mile before we get to my place. Last one there cooks breakfast...and I'm warning you...I'm not that great a cook!" With that said they run full throttle toward Iruka's apartment with Eiko still in the lead.

The couple are two blocks away from Iruka's apartment and it finally comes into view. Iruka picks up speed and races toward his home. "Hurry up, Eiko! I'm starving!" Eiko does her best to catch up and pass her friend but she fails.

Iruka gets to the door first and slams into it not being able to slow down at the right time to avoid the collision. Watching Eiko running up to the door he said, "That...didn't hurt...much. You owe me breakfast." He unlocks the door and walks inside.

Eiko follows her friend into the apartment and said, "I was going to do it anyway. What do you have in the fridge?"

"Oh, I don't know...this and that. Be creative. I'm going to hit the shower. I've got early duty this morning." He smiles at Eiko and walks out of the kitchen toward the bathroom.

The young woman opens the refridgerator and looks inside, "Hmm...what do we have? Leftover Miso soup, eggs, natto." She takes them out of the refridgerator and puts them on the counter. Opening up the cabinets she locates the rice and places it by the stove. "What? No Ramen? I thought that's all he ate!" She gets the pots and pans out and gets to work cooking the breakfast.

When Iruka emerged from the bathroom, ready for the days work, he thought he was in heaven. The smells coming from the kitchen were wonderful. He walks into the room finding the table set and food ready to eat. "Have a seat and dig in! It's ready!" smiled Eiko as she seats herself at the table.

"Wow, this looks and smells delicious! If I didn't know any better I'd swear it took you all day to do this!"

"Flattery will get you anywhere. Besides it doesn't take much to heat up some leftovers," chuckles Eiko as she picks up her chop sticks. "Oh, hey...I wanted to tell you. I got my notice yesterday!"

"What notice?"

"About the Jounin exam next week."

"Oh, good for you! Congratulations. I think you'll do great! Good luck!"

"Didn't you get one?
"No...not yet. If I did, I think I would have to decline."

"Why? It's a great honor to do this."

"I know, but, with my current duties I won't have much, if any, time to train."

"Oh." With that, the couple finish their meal in silence.

Iruka looks at the clock and gulps down his tea, "Oops, I think I better get going or I'll be late."

"I'll take care of the dishes and lock up for you, ok?"

"Great! Thank you. I'll see you later tonight, alright?"

"Sure! Have a good day!" Says Eiko as she starts clearing the table. Iruka winks at her before he closes the door behind him. It would be great if we could do the exam together. She thought as she watches her friend go off to face the day.

To be continued:

AN:
Yeah, I know this is WAY OOC for Iruka, but....it's good for an adult to play once in awhile. I still do and I'm older than the hills in my backyard!