Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Curative Career of Kaori the Ninja Nurse ❯ Tsunade's Return ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Notes: I had to play with the timeline a bit since the manga and anime timelines are a bit different. I'm adjusting it to something in between.
 
-...-...-...-
 
Tsunade's Return
 
“Tsunade-sama is coming! Tsunade-sama is coming!”
 
The news spread through Konoha faster than a fire justu amplified by frog oil. She was sighted a few miles away from Konoha by the hawk-eyed watchtower guards. This news was of special importance not only to the elders of Konoha, who wanted to appoint her as the next Hokage, but also to the hospital staff who knew her as the legendary healer. They had critically injured patients that required her expertise and among them were the sole survivor of the Uchiha clan, and Konoha's copy-nin.
 
Head nurse Kuchiki Kaori had just returned from lunch when she heard the news from her subordinate Otoha, who heard the news from the medical supplier, who heard the news as he was walking through the village. For some reason the news disturbed her.
 
It had been over two months since Kakashi was admitted to the hospital - a nice, relatively peaceful, couple of months without Gai popping up unexpectedly. Kaori had expected that it would only take a couple of weeks for Naruto to return with Konoha's foremost kunoichi, but the weeks passed without any word.
 
After a month, Kaori thought it was possible that Tsunade would not return at all. At first the possibility depressed her. Seeing her object of affection lie in bed for 24 hours a day without a hope of ever waking up, sometimes made her tear up. But as the weeks passed she became more possessive and thought of Kakashi as hers only. Seeing him and reading to him gave her something to look forward to everyday. The mundane tasks of changing bandages, checking monitors, and the tragic tasks of injecting painkillers, preparing a corpse for identification, were more bearable.
 
She liked things as they were. She did not mind having the man in her life in a coma. He was perfect that way.
 
But what would happen now that Tsunade was really here? She had thought about it over and over. In her fantasies her patient would wake and acknowledge her dedication, and, in turn, dedicate himself to her happiness. But she knew in reality that Kakashi would wake, maybe thank her, and that would be it. Chances were the next time she'd see him would be in a body bag.
 
It had been a problem avoiding her family's questions. Since the dinner fiasco with Gai, she had seen her family four times. Each time she was grilled on what the man in her life was like and who he was. Each time ended with her family saying a bird in the hand was worth two in the bush, how great Gai sensei was, and how she should have stuck with him.
 
From the movie set in Tea Country, Gai sent her and Lee messages once a week. He had agreed to the extended mission on the condition that he would be allowed to use the messenger birds to relay messages to his loved ones, and that he would be informed immediately when Tsunade arrived. Gai wrote about the actresses on the set and how they were eying him, but he swore to be faithful to Kaori.
 
She thought how they must have been eying him meaning they were wary of the madman. At first she wasn't sure whether or not to write back, but then she decided she could make it clear in a letter that she was not interested and encouraged him to date other women. Either the message never got there, or Gai ignored it. He continued to write to her.
 
But Tsunade did not immediately go to the hospital. She had business with the elders that took the rest of the day and part of the night, so Kaori was left waiting and worrying. She felt guilty that she was not excited about Tsunade's return and Kakashi's recovery, yet she waited impatiently, wondering what could be more important than her patients.
 
When she went on her afternoon rounds, she saw the pink haired genin at Uchiha Sasuke's bedside. Sakura looked up expectantly when she heard someone approach, then looked disappointed when she saw it was just Kaori and not one of the legendary sannin that she expected. Kaori smiled at her and tried her best to be enthusiastic, saying "Don't worry it won't be long. I'm sure you've heard Tsunade-sama has returned to Konoha. She's probably busy catching up at the moment but she should be here soon."
 
"Yes, they're finally back. When I see Naruto I'll have to let him have it for taking so long!" Sakura shook her fist bravely but inside she thanked Naruto from the bottom of her heart for his effort.
 
"Well, go easy on him. I'm sure there was a good reason," Kaori said, but she secretly agreed that it had taken way too long. Neither one of them knew about the detour to the hot springs, or Tsunade's temptation to bring back her loved ones, or the fight with Orochimaru, or Jiraiya's "investigations" at houses of ill repute. The legendary sannin each had questionable ethics.
 
“Why don't you help me change the sheets and blanket and freshen him up before Tsunade arrives,” Kaori suggested. There was no real need to change the sheets since Sasuke and Kakashi were in stasis, but she did it once a week to prevent dust from collecting.
 
Sakura complied, happy to do something for her beloved Sasuke. “So, I bet you're just as excited as I am. Pretty soon Kakashi-sensei will be okay too. He should be really grateful for all you've done for him,” Sakura said while helping move Sasuke's body as Kaori changed the sheets. Sakura made full use of the excuse to hold Sasuke in her arms.
 
Kaori shrugged nonchalantly. “I'm just doing my job. I'm sure I'll never see him again after he's discharged,” she said steadily although the thought made her depressed again.
 
“You never know,” Sakura encouraged, “He's sort of unpredictable. If you like him, don't give up. I think he could use someone like you.”
 
“Thanks, and the same to you,” Kaori replied in appreciation. Suddenly she felt closer to this girl than the members of her own family. After all this time the two had formed a bond of some sort and Kaori no longer thought of her as a love obsessed annoyance.
 
But still there was no sign of Tsunade even after they were done, so Kaori continued her rounds.
 
She found Lee outside in the courtyard exercising again, with apparently renewed vigor. Lee stopped when he felt her approach. “Nurse Kaori-san,” he said in greeting. “I thought you might be Gai sensei. He was sent a message as soon as the guards reported seeing Tsunade-sama nearby.”
 
“Tea Country is pretty far away. I don't think he'll be able to make it back here in just a few hours.”
 
“Gai sensei can do anything! I'm sure he will be here even before Tsunade-sama.” Actually, Lee was partially correct. When Gai received the message that Tsunade had been sighted near Konoha, he was off like a shot, leaving Neji and Tenten behind to take on his role as well as their own. The usual two day travel would take him less than half the time.
 
“Well, I'm really excited for you. You've worked so hard on your rehabilitation, I'm sure everything will be fine,” Kaori said genuinely. She had grown quite fond of the respectful boy, despite his getting her into that mess with his sensei.
 
Finally she came to Kakashi's room. She had already finished the “Icha Icha Paradise” set and was almost done with “Icha Icha Violence.” Occasionally she tried to read other books, a couple in the same genre, but Kakashi was apparently very faithful, and nothing else sparked a response.
 
“I have some great news for you,” Kaori nearly choked on the words. “Tsunade-sama is back in Konoha. She should be here soon and you'll be fine in no time at all.” She tried to smile, but her lips stopped halfway at the thought of losing him in a matter of hours or minutes. Instead she felt her eyes tearing.
 
`Damn it! What's wrong with you Kaori? You should be celebrating and here you are acting like a spoiled child whose toy is being taken away. Get it together! Do you think Kakashi would want someone as weak-willed-pathetic as you?' she berated herself.
 
She did not feel like reading. All she wanted to do was hold his hand and look at him. But first things first, as she went back to her official mode, so she untucked the sheets and blanket, rolled Kakashi over carefully, and changed the bedding.
 
“I'm going to miss you,” she said sadly to her sleeping prince after she was done. “You were the best friend, boyfriend, I've ever had. That's kind of sad, isn't it? But you're a great listener. Most people care only about themselves and talk only about themselves. And you don't offer unsolicited advice. I'm really going to miss you.” Kaori couldn't help but sniffle as the time when they were to be parted came closer and closer.
 
The afternoon came and went and Kaori's shift was over, but the dedicated nurse resolved to stay at the hospital until Tsunade came so that she could witness Kakashi's awakening.
 
“You should just go home,” Otoha advised. “I promise to contact you when she gets here.”
 
But Kaori rightfully did not trust her coworker whom she suspected would try to take the credit for his care.
 
“Look, she's probably tired from traveling and probably has all these important meetings to attend. What's a couple of comatose patients? They're not going anywhere. Chances are she won't be here until tomorrow. Go home, get some rest, you look like hell. You don't to be looking like that when Kakashi wakes do you?”
 
The last part struck a nerve. Her eyes were probably red from (not) crying. She felt frazzled and emotionally exhausted. She did need to rest. “You're right,” Kaori acquiesced. “I'll leave when it gets dark, then I'll be here first thing in the morning.”
 
But Kaori did not get a good night's sleep. She spent it tossing and turning and thinking about Kakashi. Each time she fell asleep, she started dreaming. The dreams were obscured and all she could remember when she woke was that she was reaching out for him, but he walked away from her without looking back.
 
As soon as it dawned, she washed up, had breakfast and changed back into her uniform. She took extra care with her hair and makeup to ensure she was looking her best when Kakashi woke. She skipped her exercises, since she was still tired from lack of sleep, and went directly to the hospital.
 
When she arrived there, Kaori saw the entire medical staff waiting in the main lobby, even those who were not due for their shifts, and those whose shifts were over. Panic struck her as she feared Tsunade had already come and gone, but Iashi saw her reaction and quickly explained that Tsunade was expected this morning and had not arrived yet. Kaori sighed in relief and waited with everyone else.
 
They waited and waited while Tsunade met with the two elderly advisors, said hello to Shikamaru and his dad, then finally followed Naruto to the hospital. It was nearly ten o'clock by the time they arrived.
 
A hush fell over the medical staff when the newly appointed Fifth Hokage entered the building. They all immediately dropped on one knee, except for Otoha who had to be pulled down by Kaori.
 
Tsunade stared at the crowd haughtily and frowned. “Don't you all have patients to attend to? What the hell are you all doing here wasting time?” she scolded.
 
There was an uncomfortable silence as the crowd slowly broke up to attend to their duties. Those who were not on duty still hung around.
 
Naruto could contain himself no longer. “Let's go! Let's go! Sakura-chan's probably there right now!” He pushed Tsunade toward Sasuke's room. Kaori, Iashi, and Shizune with Tonton in her arms, followed close behind.
 
“So…Shizune-san, how have you been,” Kaori tentatively said to her childhood friend as they walked toward Sasuke's room. “It's been a long time.”
 
Shizune was surprised at the rather formal address. Since when did they go from “chan” to “san”? She and Kaori had been best friends as children, until Shizune graduated the academy before Kaori. Things changed after that. Shizune graduated the Academy at nine years old and became a chuunin at thirteen, while Kaori graduated at twelve but failed to become even a lowly genin. Shizune left Konoha soon after her promotion and spent a rather lonely life as Tsunade's protégé/servant.
 
`How long has it been since I left Konoha with Tsunade-sama?' Shizune thought to herself. It had been nearly fifteen years since Tsunade officially left. Although they occasionally visited Konoha, they did not stay for more than a few days. “Yes, it's been a while. I'm glad to be back, for good this time, I hope,” Shizune smiled at her old friend.
 
They soon reached Sasuke's room whereupon Tsunade asked for a report. Iashi quickly summarized Sasuke's condition, but Tsunade was barely listening. Instead she observed the young girl by Sasuke's side. She noticed two flowers in a vase and realized that they weren't brought on the same day. They were most likely from the girl and Tsunade deduced that she had been visiting this comatose boy everyday. 'Young love...when I was her age I was on the front lines. Love didn't come till much later and then...' Tsunade forced the thoughts of her lover Dan out of her head as she concentrated on the task at hand.
 
The legendary healer channeled green chakra and placed her palm on the boy's forehead. No one spoke a word as they witnessed her power. Less than a minute later, Sasuke blinked his eyes and then sat up as if in a daze. His faithful teammate immediately threw her arms around him and started crying.
 
Naruto finally realized how much Sakura cared for Sasuke and in a rare tactful moment, left the room, signaling Tsunade and the others to follow.
 
The touching scene caused Kaori to think about her own reaction. She could not throw her arms tearfully around Kakashi. He didn't even know her. All she could do was stand by and watch. She followed the rest of the group in thoughtful silence until Shizune spoke to her.
 
“So…umm…Kaori-san (Shizune decided to use the same address), how long have you been working here?”
 
“Oh, I've been here for nearly ten years now. After a couple of attempts at making genin, I gave up, decided that the medical field was more to my taste anyway. Never cared for all the fighting,” Kaori said pointedly to save face.
 
“I'll have to agree with you,” Shizune said reflectively. “Just being a medic is better. I much rather save lives, but back then, medic-nin were also needed during combat. You're lucky you were never sent to the front lines.”
 
Shizune's words shamed Kaori. Shizune was still the same nice considerate girl. She didn't realize how envious Kaori was of her superior talent. The nurse then looked over at the legendary healer, redirecting the target of her envy. Tsunade would probably be the first person Kakashi would see when he woke. What if he fell in love with her first? She was way, way too old for him, but she looked great for her age, with long golden hair and a bust that rivaled Otoha's.
 
Kaori whispered to Shizune, "Your auntie looks just like she did before you left. She hasn't aged in decades!"
 
"She uses a special jutsu to mold her chakra," Shizune explained.
 
"That's really something," Kaori sighed, jealously thinking how the half century old woman looked younger and had a much better figure than she did. It just wasn't fair for Tsunade to have both great talent and beauty. Kaori often consoled herself that although she couldn't cut it as a shinobi, she was attractive. But as the years pass, she knew she would be less and less attractive while Tsunade would always look the same; her breasts would sag while Tsunade's would stay plump and bouncy. So despite Tsunade's age, what man could resist a woman of eternal youth and beauty? Could Kakashi?
 
Kaori continued to ruminate on Tsunade's superior endowments until they reached Kakashi's room.
 
-...-...-...-...-