Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Curative Career of Kaori the Ninja Nurse ❯ Kakashi's Genin ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Kakashi's Genin
 
It was Sunday, but Kaori was at work, filling in for a nurse who called in sick that morning. Last night's events coupled with this unwelcome development made her doubly cranky. And to top it off, Otoha was on duty so that made her triply cranky.
 
Otoha came to work carrying a heart shaped box of expensive chocolates with truffle cream filling. She opened it slowly in front of Kaori while smiling all the while. “Would you like one, Kaori-san?” she asked sweetly.
 
Kaori immediately became suspicious. Otoha had never offered her any chocolates before. “No, thank you. That's very high in calories,” she said pointedly.
 
“I can handle it. I mean all the exercise I've been getting with Gai-sensei,” Otoha said as she stretched her arms above her head and thrusted out her ample chest.
 
“That's nice. Don't you have work to do? Don't get chocolate on the forms.” Kaori slammed a stack of paperwork on Otoha's desk.
 
“Oh, I'll be careful. So, have you gotten anything like this from your new beau?”
 
“My new beau?”
 
“I heard you were out with Raidou, Mr. Half-man half-melted wax mannequin. Really Kaori, I didn't realize you were so desperate. Just because things didn't work out with Houshou, or Gai, or Kakashi…”
 
“There's nothing wrong with Raidou. He was injured fighting for Konoha like many other honorable shinobi,” Kaori said defensively, all the while feeling very hypocritical because she had thought the same thing herself. “And my private life is none of your business. Save your candy for later and get back to work or…”
 
“Right boss, whatever you say.” Otoha smiled sarcastically and very carefully put her heart shaped box in full sight of all visitors.
 
Kaori's teeth were very straight and even - thanks to grinding her teeth from dealing with Otoha on an almost daily basis. She had tried not to think too much about last night's events but now she couldn't help but review what happened again.
 
Why did she snap at Kakashi? He seemed like he was actually interested in her now and wasn't that what she wanted all along? Maybe he was done with the ramen girl. Maybe she should forgive him for standing her up. Why did she brush him off so easily while it took her so long to get rid of Gai whom she didn't want at all? But her pride said no way could she forgive something like that. Was she using Raidou to get back at Kakashi? No, she wasn't such a horrible person. She wouldn't use someone like that.
 
Raidou, from what she gleaned on their first date, was a serious and strong man. He was blunt with words and spare with humor. She did not feel comfortable with someone so dour. He was an introvert and she could tell he was making a monumental effort to join in conversations. Only when he was speaking on his favorite subjects did he seem at ease. He also seemed like the jealous type, hot-headed and irascible. The way he jumped to protect her from Kakashi was flattering, but also intimidating since he was not officially her boyfriend. It was just a first date and just a double-date at that, which only counted as half a date. He had no claim to her and should not have been so confrontational with Kakashi. But that also showed that he valued her and that's what she wanted.
 
His comrade in arms seemed more desirable. Genma was calm and casual, much like Kakashi not only in looks. But Kakashi had a flippant attitude while Genma was appropriately serious when the occasion required it. Genma did have a tendency to go on tangents with his philosophical musings, which made him seem rather pretentious, Kaori evaluated.
 
Neither was as good as Kakashi.
 
So it seemed, after all these years of dating, there was no such thing as the perfect man. She had to lower her standards or be willing to face a life alone. With that as an unfathomable option, Kaori had agreed to go on another date with Raidou.
 
He had said, “Tonight wasn't that bad, was it? I'd like to see you again. Of course, I'll completely understand if you say no. I mean after Kakashi, I must seem like a let down.”
 
How could she say no to that? If she turned down Raidou just because of his looks, she would be more shallow and lower than Otoha.
 
Kaori's thoughts were interrupted by a ruckus at the hospital entrance. She could hear raised voices arguing loudly. She got up from her station to investigate, while Otoha continued to file her nails. It was Kakashi's genin who were the source of the disturbance.
 
“I'm fine! I don't need to be here. Sasuke's the one who needs to be babied!” Naruto protested.
 
“You're not fine!” Sakura hit him on the arm. Naruto grimaced. “See, you're hurt too,” Sakura said pointedly.
 
“That's because you just hit me!”
 
“Shut up, idiot. Just get checked out. They won't let you on another mission until you do,” growled Sasuke.
 
“That's right, Naruto-san,” Kaori said as she walked over. “What happened? Did you get hurt on a mission?” She noted that Naruto's orange jacket and pants were ripped and dirty. There were a few bloodstains on his clothes but from what she could tell, his exposed skin looked fine.
 
“I didn't, but Sasuke sure did!” Naruto gleefully explained.
 
Sasuke said nothing, but he looked ready to kill Naruto, even if he had to rip out his jugular with his teeth.
 
Kaori noted that Sasuke was limping and he was holding his left shoulder with his right hand in pain. His clothes were in the same condition as Naruto's, but there were visible bruises, lacerations, and puncture wounds on his face, arms and legs.
 
“How about you Sakura-san?” Kaori looked over at Sakura who appeared to be the only one without any obvious injuries. Her red dress was a bit dirty but otherwise in good condition.
 
“It's just these two who need to be looked at. I…er…wasn't involved with all the fighting,” she admitted shamefacedly.
 
“All right, Naruto-san you wait in exam room one and Sasuke-san in room two please. Sakura-san you can wait in the lounge. I'll page the medics.”
 
Since it was not an emergency, Iashi, the medic currently on duty, instructed Kaori to perform the standard tests while he finished his rounds. Kaori first checked in on Sasuke, the more serious case.
 
The boy glared at her with his dark eyes. Kaori, used to that look from uncooperative patients, paid it no mind at all. She instructed Sasuke to remove his arm warmers so she could take his blood pressure. She noticed his blue shirt was not only ripped and dirty, but also singed. They must have been on a tough mission.
 
“So, Sasuke-san,” the nurse said brightly, “how did your mission go? My, you look bigger and stronger every time I see you.”
 
“Hmmf, maybe you should get your eyes checked,” he said in his usual cold voice. Having been beaten by the ex-Konoha/Rain shinobi Aoi, he was in no mood for banter, especially since his archrival Naruto was the successful one.
 
Kaori decided to use the oral thermometer instead of the ear thermometer on the rude boy. She stuck it a bit roughly in his mouth and wrapped the blood pressure monitor a bit too tightly. His blood pressure was normal but his temperature was a bit elevated. Next she drew some blood to screen for any poisons the enemy might have used.
 
“The medic will be here shortly. Since your temperature's a bit high and I noticed a number of contusions on your body and head, you'll probably be kept for observation.”
 
“Since when did you get your degree and become a doctor? I though nurses weren't allowed to make those decisions,” Sasuke sneered.
 
“I'm just giving you my experienced opinion.” Kaori smiled tightly, while thinking how someone needed to take that boy across his lap and apply a nice big solid paddle. Then she reminded herself that the poor boy had nobody to reprimand him. His family had been massacred years ago. She smiled again, more gently this time. “I'm sure you'll be fine. It's just precautionary. I'm grateful the village has such talented young shinobi like you to protect us.”
 
Sasuke did not deign to reply. He never knew how to respond to kindness.
 
Kaori left him with orders to change into a medical gown for a full exam by the medics. Next she went to look in on Naruto. She also took his blood pressure and temperature (with an ear thermometer) and checked for wounds. There seemed to be little wrong with him that a bath couldn't remedy.
 
“So Naruto-san,” she said while they waited for a medic, “how was your mission?”
 
“Super! We got to visit Tea Country and participate in the shrine race! And I was the hero, as usual.”
 
“Is it hard for your team to be without your sensei? I guess you don't see him much now that he's on solo missions and with his new girlfriend. He must have little time for you.”
 
“Huh? You mean Kakashi-sensei or Iruka-sensei? You must be confused. Kakashi-sensei's our team leader. Iruka-sensei's the one with the girl.”
 
Kaori did a double take. Her hands shook so much, she nearly dropped the thermometer she was sterilizing with alcohol. “You mean Iruka-sensei is the one going out with the I-chi-ra-ku ra-men waitress?” she asked the question slowly, making sure her words were perfectly clear.
 
“Of course. What girl would want a lazy weird pervert like Kakashi-sensei?”
 
“Yes, ha-ha, of course.” Kaori felt like shoving the thermometer into her own ears.
 
-…-…-…-
 
Kaori had pushed Kakashi away, twice, just as he actually showed interest. She had assumed that he stood her up for the ramen girl when he wasn't to blame at all. Now it was too late - she had made her bed without realizing the sheets were the wrong size but she had to sleep in it. It was all her fault, again. No wonder why none of her relationships worked out. She was the recurrent factor. She was selfish and judgmental, domineering and demanding, while pretending to be this wonderful compassionate caregiver. Even Otoha was better - at least she did not pretend to be anything else.
 
Somehow Kaori managed to hold it together at the hospital. She did it by shutting down all sensory input. She went about her work mechanically, all the while thinking sadly, `I'm just a pretentious, faithless fool. Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid...'
 
Some of her patients thought she had been replaced by an automaton. She worked in stunned silence and did not heed their requests for water or anything else. She just performed the routine tests without smiling or speaking.
 
She did not say anything to anyone the rest of her time at work. Her subordinates saw that her eyes had glazed over as if she had been hypnotized. They thought about reporting it to the medics but a silent Kaori meant fewer orders from her and more free time for them. And it was the perfect opportunity to ask for time off, a change in schedule, even a raise. Kaori just nodded absently at every request.
 
She depended on instinct and routine to get her through the rest of the day. As soon as the clock struck five, she picked up her bag and left the hospital. Her feet walked the path they had walked for years, not stopping for food or to say hello to those who waved at her.
 
Back at home, she dropped her bag on the floor and closed the door without locking it. She sat in the nearest chair in silence until the sun started to set. There were no tears. After crying so many times for the man she wanted, there was no point anymore. Her emotions had effectively shut down to prevent her from feeling any further pain. It was an autonomic response, survivor's instinct.
 
The only thought that continuously reverberated in her mind was “stupid faithless fool.”
 
Some time after the sun had gone down, someone knocked hard on her door. Kaori did not bother to answer it. But she had left the door open and the person slipped in.
 
“Kaori-san? Are you all right? I knocked but you didn't answer. The door was opened so I was concerned. I guess you fell asleep in your chair. You must have had a tough day. I'll understand if you want to cancel our date tonight.”
 
Kaori had forgotten that she had a date with Raidou. The last thing she wanted to do was to go on a date, but she robotically rose from her chair to get dressed, all the while thinking, what did it matter, Kakashi was gone forever.
 
-...-...-...-