Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Events Never Were ❯ Chapter two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Events Never Were:
A Naruto Fanfiction
 
 
Chapter Two
“I'm sorry Ebisu, I just don't understand this. I don't think I understand all the verbs you're teaching me.” Nozomi said defensively.
 
“They're relatively easy verbs, though -..” Ebisu replied, “You just have to practice a little more. Did you practice with the verbs I gave you last week?”
 
She stayed silent. It was obvious she hadn't practiced.
 
“Well that's your problem.”
 
“The only problem I have here is the stupid language!” Nozomi cried.
 
“No need to let your temper flare. They're just a couple of verbs.”
 
“I work at a bookstore, Ebisu. I'm supposed to know all this stuff by now.”
 
“You have to be a little patient.
 
“I don't want to be patient anymore! I hate Japanese, don't you understand? Watching Otaku no Video is much simpler than actually learning the language! This isn't what I expected at all!”
 
“Otaku no Video?” Ebisu raised a brow.
 
“Don't ask.” She slammed her hands down on the wooden table and got up from her seat. It was apparent that she was seething.
 
“Well, as long as you live here you have to learn the language.” He said softly.
 
“Well it's not my fault we're here!”
 
“You just need to practice the verbs, and you'll be fine.”
 
“I don't want to practice anymore! If we were still with Akatsuki we probably would have found out how to go home!” She stomped her way across the floor and out of the room.
 
“Akatsuki? What about --” Ebisu got up from his spot to follow her, but she slammed her bedroom door on his face. Luckily, he wasn't close enough to suffer any injury from such an action. With a sigh, he turned from the door and headed out onto the porch. That's when he found Ai pedaling home. She hopped off her bike and waved at him, a little out of breath. She'd been riding that bike as quickly as she could to get home. Her motivation? She was hungry.
 
“Konbanwa, Ai-chan.” Ebisu said to the girl as she hopped off her bike.
 
“Konbanwa, Ebisu-sensei.” She said. “What're you doing here so late?”
 
“Nozomi-san is having trouble with her Japanese. Oh, before you go inside - could you explain to me why you guys were involved with Akatsuki.” She put a gentle hand on her shoulder to stop her from entering the house.
 
“Oh, that…” Ai replied. “You sure you want to know the whole story?”
 
“Every little bit you have to offer.”
 
“Well, promise not to tell anybody? The only other person who knows our story is Hokage-sama.”
 
“Right. I won't say a word.”
 
“Well…” Ai started, explaining their story.
 
Three Months Ago
 
Today's weather couldn't have been more perfect for the occasion. With as good as the day was, the grass even seemed greener. Each tree in the yard swayed with the wind. It was a perfect 80-degree weather. Everyone was wearing their best tank tops and shorts.
 
Mr. Jones was cooking up hamburgers and brats on the grill while everyone else was in the yard socializing. It would be soon that the main star of today's party would show up.
The girl whom they were waiting for was actually just getting out of the movie theatre with her brother and her brother's best friend, Claire.
 
“That was an awesome movie,” Zoey said before getting into the car.
 
“Yeah it was,” Claire said, putting the key into the ignition.
 
“You think we should buy it when it comes out on DVD?” Derek asked.
 
“Maybe.” Zoey replied after taking down the visor. She opened the tiny mirror compartment and straightened out her hair some.
 
When the ignition was finally on, the time could be found on the display monitor.
 
“I think it's time we headed back to your guys' place.” Claire said.
 
“Right. Let's go there,” Zoey put her seatbelt on and was soon followed by the others. “Do you think now that I'm old enough, Mom will let me get my belly button pierced?”

”I honestly don't know,” Claire replied, “You'd have to take that up with your mom.”
 
“Right.” As soon as Claire switched gears, they sped off.
 
.o.o.o.
 
“Now while we're here, you're gonna have to wear a blindfold until we get into the back,” Derek stated.
 
“Why?” Zoey blinked.
 
“Because we have a surprised for you.”
 
“Oh, okay. Well, here goes nothing.” She stood there and let Derek put the blindfold on her. She wasn't sure what to be expecting. Maybe, if it's her luck, she'll probably open her eyes to that dream car she'd always wanted.
 
But instead…Derek took the blind fold off as soon as they reached the back yard.
 
“Happy Birthday, Zoey!” Everyone shouted. It was better than a car - her whole family was there!
 
“This is the best Sweet Sixteenth ever!” She shouted, making her way over to give
various people hugs.
 
.o.o.o.
 
“It was your birthday when you came here? And your names are just names the Hokage gave you?” Ebisu asked.
 
“Right. My real name is Zoey. Mizu's name is Derek and Nozomi's name is Claire.”
 
“Claire..”
 
“That's right. We're a family of fakes.” Nozomi leaned against the doorframe just inside the screendoor. She'd cooled off some since their trouble with the verbs. “I think I should explain to Ebisu what I should've explained to him a long time ago.”
 
“Right.” Ai nodded.
 
“So after that...” Nozomi started.
 
.o.o.o.
 
After the party, everyone left with a full stomach. I, however, stayed behind. I lived right around the corner so it wouldn't hurt if I stayed a bit longer. On my days off from school and work I usually stayed there until the wee hours in the morning. Sometimes I even stayed the night because it was okay with their parents. For a short time there I actually lived with them. It wasn't too bad. This happened right after my mom had to go to jail over a warrant for her arrest. Thank goodness she wasn't there too long, because I think the three of us - Derek, Zoey and myself - were driving each other crazy.
 
We hung out in Zoey's bedroom for the remainder of the time we were there. She was messing around with some of the gifts she got. Her step dad was the one who had to hookup the Xbox for her so she could play whenever she liked. She'd gotten a good couple of games to go with it. It would take a while before she could hook up the internet to the system, seeing as her parents didn't have internet with their phone service.
 
Instead of getting that dream car, she got a bicycle. To run around on that new job her parents had gotten her with the paper company. It wouldn't be too long before she could saddle up and deliver papers in the early morning. It was a summer job, though. When autumn would come she'd head back to school and take a break off of working.
 
She wasn't too happy about working but a few extra bucks would be well enough motivation to get up and get out there. If she saved up enough money she could buy that car of hers and be able to pay insurance on it throughout the year.
 
Seeing as I didn't get a lot of money from the job I had, I went ahead and bought her some graphic novels. She was starting to get into anime like Derek and myself and I thought I'd start her off with something simple from Shonen Jump. I got her volumes one and two of Naruto.
 
She was pretty excited about getting them. I thought for sure she'd be disappointed but the reaction was contrary of what I expected. Every otaku has to start somewhere. And it was a lot better than using Sailor Moon or Pokemon as an introduction to anime. She deserved much better than those two.
 
“Say,” Zoey lowered her controller after pausing the game. She turned toward me. I put down my book and returned her gaze. “…Are we all going to be together forever?”
 
“What do you mean by that?” I asked.
 
“I mean… After I graduate I'm going to be moving into a dorm for college. We'll be parting and thinking about it makes me sad. I don't ever want to be away from you - ever.”
 
“We'll keep in touch. I wouldn't worry about that. There'll be a couple of long distance phone calls. We can write letters - Oh, and there's also the internet.” I replied.
 
“You'll be coming home during holidays as well, Zoey. I wouldn't worry too much about it, if I were you. You'll make yourself sick, worrying all the time.” Derek said, finishing my sentence.
 
Zoey looked at us both then down at her controller. Then she looked back up. It seemed our attempt at comforting her was futile. There was moisture forming in her eyes. She tried to smile as hard as she could, but it didn't work. A couple of tears streamed down over her cheeks. “But I don't want to be away from you guys, ever!”
 
“Oh, come now.” I put the bookmark in the book and came down from the bed to where Zoey was at. “We'll all be together for a very long time.”
 
I placed my arm around her shoulder and held her close. She turned in her spot and returned the hug. Her face was hidden in my shoulder. I could feel her body shuddering from her sobs.
 
“Don't cry, Zoey,” Derek said, “We're all going to be old fogeys sitting on the front porch.”
 
“Yeah, and Derek's going to have a shot gun, yelling, “Git the heel off mah properteh!” to all the kids who come in the yard.” I said, mimicking my best southern accent.
 
She started choking on her tears as she laughed. I was so glad to have finally comforted her. I never liked to see her cry, ever. It always broke my heart to see her in pain. Regardless of her age, I will now and forever see her as that little twelve-year-old girl I met four years ago.
 
She got up from her spot on the floor and stood up. I followed behind her, reaching for my purse. It was one of those backpack purses that used to be popular in the late 90's. I'd gotten it for Christmas from Zoey. It was a great gift. Almost everything fit inside. I placed it on my back and headed for the bedroom door. Before I made my exit, I turned around. “I hope you enjoy that manga I bought you.”
 
I picked up one of the novels from her bookshelf. It seemed heavier than usual. I flipped it open and found a giant bloodstain in the middle of the book. It had soaked it throughout all the pages.
 
“What the hell?” I dropped it and the blood splattered onto the carpet.
 
“Eww! How did all this blood get here?”
 
“It's pretty gross, isn't it?” Derek got up from his spot and looked down at it. They all surrounded the book, staring at it in disbelief.
 
“I think we should pick it up and throw it out,” Zoey reached down for it but before she could get a grasp, the pages grew out of it. They shot across the floor in many directions. She jerked, watching it.
 
One by one, the pages - by themselves - tore from the book and covered the furniture and walls. Pretty soon all we could see was black and white pages surrounded us and the blood hole in the middle of the floor. The blood stain had turned into a sort of black hole, sucking Zoey in head first.
 
She screamed, being pulled in. I took hold of her leg, trying to keep her from being sucked in even more. But in the end it was futile. Even Derek tried to get a hold of her. It wouldn't have mattered, though - we were all sucked in. The pages that were covering the walls were sucked into the hole as well. Pretty soon, all that was left was the blood stained manga.
 
.o.o.o.
 
“Gyaaaa!” Was the last thing I heard before we were sent through the worm hole. It was like going through a colourful and dimly lit tunnel. I could feel my skin crawling and stretching over my body. It was the strangest sensation I'd ever felt.
 
There was a strange white light approaching us rapidly. Not even ten seconds into the tunnel and we'd reached our destination. Where we were going, though, I had no idea. The next thing I remember was falling from the sky into a set of bushes. We weren't shot out from a high altitude, I could tell. If we were, we would've been crushed in the fall.
 
“Oh hell!” I said, trying to sit up.
 
“Where are we?” Zoey was already up from her spot. Soon followed by Derek, and me. we looked around. It was a forest and just up the way some there was a path.
 
“I have no idea but we should check this out.” I stated, heading for the path. “Maybe there's a sign somewhere.”
 
“Oh God,” Derek said, “I think I'm going to be sick…”
 
“Don't spew your guts yet, Derek.” Zoey said, backing away from the shadows of the trees. We were all in full light now. Her eyes widened a little and her brows furrowed a bit. “You guys…”
 
“What is it?” I asked.
 
“You guys… You look like those cartoon characters you talk about all the time.”
 
“We look like what?” I got a good look at her and immediately understood. Well, I'll be damned. We were in the art style of the manga. I couldn't explain it. There was no way to explain it.
 
“Well, which way do we go? I don't see any signs.” Zoey commented.
 
“I think we should throw a coin. Heads we go right. Tails we go left. Deal?”
 
“Sounds good to me.”
 
I reached into my jean pocket and took out a quarter. I used my thumb as a launch pad to throw it up in the air. Once it was in the air, I caught it when it fell. Then I placed it on the back of my hand. It was heads.
 
“Right. Let's go. Maybe we'll find some people and ask what happened.”
 
.o.o.o.
 
“So, Bud,” One man said to the other as they were walking down the dirt path. “What do you wanna do today?”
 
“I don't know, Bob,” The other replied, “Whatever you wanna do.”
 
There was a short silence.
 
“So, Bud - what do you wanna do today?”
 
“I don't know, Bob. Whatever you wanna do.”
 
There was another short silence.
 
“So, Bud - ..”
 
“Not this crap again!”
 
.o.o.o.
 
“How much longer do we have to walk?” Zoey whined.
 
“When we find people or a town.” I reassured her.
 
“I'm getting hungry, though.”
 
“Just be patient,” I said, “We'll find what we're looking for soon enough.”
 
And there it was. There were two other people walking along the path. From the way they were dressed, I could've sworn they were pirates.
 
Finally! People!” Zoey ran toward them. She stopped in front of them. I noticed they were carrying swords. These guys could be thugs of some sort. Derek and I soon followed behind her.
 
“Hello!” She shouted at them, “Do you guys know where we are?”
 
They looked at each other confused. After they exchanged words I could tell they couldn't speak any English. It was just as I had feared. It figured that they would be speaking Japanese instead of English.
 
Luckily, for us, though - Derek had been taking Japanese during college so he would be the one who could understand them.
 
“I'm sorry but I don't speak “Hong Kong Fooey”!” Zoey shouted, annoyed with our current situation. She turned toward me with an angry pout. “These Chinese people are stupid. Can't they understand English?”
 
“Now, now,” I said, “Be a little considerate, please.”
 
“That's an insult, Zoey,” Derek interrupted, “These people aren't Chinese. They're Japanese.”
 
Chinese. Japanese. What's the difference?”
 
“That's like asking a Spanish person to speak French.” I corrected her.
 
She crossed her arms and grumbled. “Oh, whatever.”
 
Derek spoke to them in their native tongue for a while. A good ten minutes passed by as they spoke. From the information we'd gotten from them they worked for some man named Gatou. They were out scouting out the area looking for the man who was responsible for building a bridge from the Land of Waves to the continent. They said they didn't have any answers for us but if we went with them to see this Gatou guy that we might find some work while figuring out where we were and why we were there.
 
.o.o.o.
 
“But what does that have to do with Akatsuki?” Ebisu asked, confused.
 
“Just let me tell the story. We'll get to them eventually.” Nozomi said. “Come on inside. I don't want our neighbours to hear this part.”
 
“Right.” Ebisu and Ai followed her into the house, listening expectantly for her tale.
 
.o.o.o.
 
AN: Okay, I finally got chapter two finished! I thought it'd never get finished. Please read and review!