Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Irony of it All ❯ Time to go Home!! ( Chapter 14 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 14: Time to go Home!!
 
Zabuza stared at Gatoh, his arms useless. Zabuza's eyes meeting Gatoh's in a hateful stare.
"Gatoh, why are you here? And what's with all the men?"
"I've come to announce, the plan has changed a bit...." Gatoh tapped his cane on the ground as he let out a wicked grin. "Zabuza, you're of no more use to me. I'm going to have to kill you here." Zabuza's eyes widened slightly.
"Hiring normal ninjas is expensive, so I get missing-nins like you. The ninjas battle it out and hopefully kill each other, saving me money and effort. Devil of the Hidden Mist? That's a bunch of bull, if you ask me, you're just a cute little baby devil." All the men behind Gatoh laughed. Naruto stared, wide-eyed. “
Wh-who are all these guys...?
"Kakashi....I'm sorry..." Zabuza said quietly, his back to everyone but Gatoh and his group. "This fight is over. Now that I have no reason to go after Tazuna, I have no reason to fight you."
"Yeah..." Kakashi agreed. Haku lay in the middle of the bridge, between Gatoh's group and Zabuza and teams seven. Gatoh walked up to Haku.
"Oh yes, I owe this one. Squeezing my arm until it broke.." With a mighty heave, Gatoh kicked Haku in the head hard. "Too bad, he's already dead." Naruto was horrified.
"Bastard!! What do you think you're doing!?" Angered, Naruto ran forward. Kakashi quickly stopped Naruto, pulling him back. Naruto stared at Zabuza.
"And what about you!? How can you not say anything!? Weren't you guys friends!?"
"Shut up kid..." Zabuza said quietly. "Haku is already dead."
"What!? Didn't you feel anything after all that!? Weren't you always together!?" Naruto shouted at Zabuza.
"As I was used by Gatoh, Haku was used by me. That's all it was." Naruto took a step back but Zabuza still spoke.
"I've already told you, we shinobi are just tools. I wanted his abilities, not him. I have no regrets." Naruto clenched his fists at his sides and glared at Zabuza's back.
"You...do you really mean that?"
"Naruto, stop..." Kakashi said, placing a hand on Naruto's shoulder. "We have no reason to fight him anymore and-"
"Shut up!" Naruto cut his sensei off, pushing away. "He is still my enemy!" Naruto stepped towards Zabuza. He looked at Haku.
"He...he really loved you! He loved you so much he gave his life for you! And yet you feel nothing!?" Flashbacks came to Naruto. Haku's words on how much he wanted Zabuza's dream to come true. Even at the cost of his own life.
"He threw his life away for you! Without his own dream...to die as a tool...that's.... That's just too sad!" tears were streaming down Naruto's face now, his head bowed and fists clenched at his sides.
"Kid...." Naruto looked up at Zabuza's voice. His voice was shaky, and the ground was spotted as tears hit it. Zabuza looked up at the sky as tears rolled down his face.
"You don't...need to say anymore..." Tears came from the silent Naruto as Zabuza continued to speak.
"It pained Haku to have to fight you. He fought, not only for me, but for you guys also. I can understand, he was too kind. In the end, I'm glad I got to meet you guys." Gatoh stepped back in slight shock as Zabuza began to bite the bandages around his face off. When they hung from his neck, Zabuza glanced back at Naruto.
"Kid, lend me your kunai." Naruto closed his eyes. Bowing his head, he took out a kunai and effortlessly tossed it to Zabuza. Visions of Haku clouded Zabuza's mind as he caught the kunai in his mouth and took off, forward. Gatoh got freaked and ran backwards.
"Kill him! Kill him!" he shouted as he ran behind his large group of men. One of the men with a fairly big sword smirked.
"One badly injured ninja against these numbers. You think you can win?" But the man was shut up real quick when Zabuza darted in, slashing him. As he fell backwards, Zabuza kept forward, quickly slashing anyone in his way. His arms swung usless as he stabbed everyone with the single kunai held in his mouth. All men took out their weapons, trying to slash at Zabuza, but Zabuza was too quick. Zabuza ran at Gatoh, who was at the unfinished side of the bridge. Now a few spears stuck out of Zabuza's back, but he kept going. Gatoh stared in fear as he realized he was messing with the devil of the mist. But all too late and Zabuza ran up, stabbing Gatoh in the heart. Blood poured out of Gatoh's mouth and Gatoh's men stabbed Zabuza in the back again.
"If.... if you want to go to the same place as your friend, then go alone!" Gatoh managed to say through the blood loss. The kunai dropped from Zabuza's mouth and he spoke.
"Unfortunately, I can't go to that same place as Haku..." Zabuza managed to stand straight and walked slowly to Gatoh.
"But you and I together, are going to hell. There we'll see who the real baby devil is!" With that, Zabuza managed to pick up the fallen kunai and slash at Gatoh until he fell off the bridge. Zabuza turned and stared at the large group of men who all dropped their weapons in fear. They all backed off,making a pathway for Zabuza as he walked. The kunai once more dropped from Zabuza's mouth as he began to walk. "Haku..." he said quietly, trying to reach the fallen comrad. And Zabuza saw image of Haku in his pink kimono.
"This is goodbye...Haku. Thank you for everything...I am sorry..." And Zabuza fell face first. Naruto closed his eyes and turned his head.
"Do not look away..." Naruto opened his eyes and stared at his sensei.
"This is the end of a man who led a difficult life..." Kakashi spoke.
----------------------------------------------------
“Did I....die...?Sky zoned in and out between blackness.
"Sasuke..." a whimpering voice was heard.
Sakura...?Sasuke's vision became focused. He could see Sakura, who was on his chest, and Tazuna was standing behind her.
"Sakura...you're heavy..." Sakura immediately lifted her head, tears flying from her face.
"Sasuke?" Sasuke blinked as tears continued to stream down Sakura's face.
"Sasuke!" She began to hug Sasuke.
"Ow...Sakura that hurts..." Sasuke complained. Tazuna gave a small smile as he wiped away a tear. Sasuke slowly sat himself up.
"What about Naruto?" Sasuke asked. "And the masked kid?"
"Naruto is fine...and the masked kid is dead." Sakura responded, turning her head so her vision could rest on Haku's body some feet away. Sasuke looked up at Sakura.
"Dead? Did Naruto..." Sakura shook her head.
"No. I don't know the details. I know, he jumped in to protect Zabuza..." Sasuke looked at Haku's body as Sakura began to rant about how "great" he was and how he protected his critical areas so well. Sasuke's eyes suddenly widened.
“Rayne!" Sakura gave him a confused look. "Rayne?"
“Rayne! Where is she! What hap-" Sasuke suddenly feel silent as his gaze found her. His mouth dropped slightly as he saw her cold, pale body a few feet away from him. Apparently, when the crystals broke some scratched her as well. She had more cuts than he remembered, and some crystals were stabbed into her.
"Wh...wha...." but Sakura and Tazuna were silent. Truthfully, the two had completely forgotten about her. Sasuke struggled to his feet. Taking heavy steps, he moved towards her body. It felt like hours until he had reach her body. Shakily, Sasuke hand reached out and touched Rayne's face. He withdrew it and examined her body. He took a half step backwards as he realized he had stepped in a pool of your blood.
"Ra...yne...." Sasuke whispered. His hand reached out again until he was halted by:
"Don't touch her..." Sasuke looked up. Naruto had, some time in the past few minutes, made his way to Rayne also. Sasuke stared at Naruto. Sasuke looked back at her again. Rayne's voice echoed through his head. Why those words were in his head, he didn't know. But...they seemed so real....

"I Hated you Sasuke but I realized… that I

Sasuke whispered her name again. Ignoring Naruto, he reached out and touched her face again. Suddenly, a hand stopped him.
“Huh?” He looked at where the hand came from, his eyes widen.
“Just because… I told you guys to never give up…” Her hand fell back down. “Doesn't mean I won't either.” She then fell unconscious. Naruto and Sakura stared shocked, along with Tazuna.
“Rayne…” Sasuke said softly so no one would hear.
“Ray-nee-chan!” Naruto shouted excitedly.
“Rayne.” Sakura said slightly relief.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
RAYNE'S POV
 
My hearing zoned in and out. I'd hear whispering then quiet, then I could hear again.
"Hey, hey, I think she's waking up!" a voice hushed the others. I reluctantly open my eyes as light slithered under my eyelids. My vision blurred in and out of focus. As my eyes adjusted I saw the brown wood of the ceiling. Pink penetrated my vision as I was soon looking at Sakura.
"S-Sakura?" I spoke weakly. Sakura smiled as she nodded slightly. I was quiet for a while.
“Sakura...Sakura...oh my god I died and went to hell!!!" Sakura's smile turned to a frown as the door to the room opened.
"I hear Rayne's awake?"
"Kakashi-sensei!" Naruto responded to our silver-haired teacher whom was standing in the doorway. I saw movement from the corner of my eye and noted that Naruto had been sitting on my left side. I tried to prop yourself up but felt too weak and ended up falling down out of pain. I looked down to see myself wearing a plain peach shirt with shorts. I turned my head best to its ability to see my normal clothes folded behind my head. Next to my clothes was a pile of bloody bandages, a bowl of water with a rag half in it and half not and little shards of what looked like shards of glass. I looked back at myself to see my stomach was wrapped with slightly red bandages. Lifting up my shirt I noticed I was wrapped up to my chest. I sighed and tried again. As I got half way up I felt a sting in my chest and an enormous pain in my stomach and yelled out in pain. I began to fall back but didn't hit the ground. I blinked and looked up, finding myself staring up into a pair of onyx eyes. I gasped slightly.
“S-Sasuke...? The raven hair shifted his gaze to a different direction as he helps me into a sitting position. I thought I saw him having a small blush but I couldn't be sure, cockatoo boy doesn't show emotions. For some reason I couldn't stop thinking about him while I clutched my stomach.
“Rayne!!" I blinked, shook my head, and looked to my left. Naruto was squatting down by me, his face barely inches from mine.
“Hm…?"
“I asked: Are. You. Feeling. Better." I blinked.
"Um… I could be better,” I answered, distracted. My gaze kept switching from Sasuke to the door, he's probably thinking that he wants to get out, then back to everyone else.
“Rayne.” I turned my attention to Kakashi, who was now standing at the foot of my bed. I nodded at his expression, knowing that he'll tell me everything later.
“Hey! She's alive! Grandpa, grandpa, she's not dead!” I looked at the doorway to see Inari standing there with Tazuna walking up beside him. They both smiled.
“Well I'll be. I thought you were a gonner for sure. I sweatdropped at Tazuna's comment as Tsunami walked into the room. She smiled at me.
"Oh Rayne, you're awake."
“Yeah…" I replied not use to my voice anymore. For some reason, I felt as though my voice hasn't been used for a long time, which it might not have been, but it felt… foreign to me. It doesn't sound right. Tsunami walked over and sat on her knees beside mw. She placed her hand on my stomach.
"Yeah, you're going to be in some pain for a while, this might take a while to heal."
"Oh yay," I said sarcastically. Tsunami smiled slightly.
"Well its good thing we got those shards out of your body or your wound wouldn't have healed properly."
"Okay...so I have a whole there. Do you know what the pain in my chest is?"
"Your first encounter with Zabuza, he fractured one of your ribs that kept jabbing and irritating your left lung," Kakashi explained, walking up behind Tsunami.
"Oh..." was all I said quietly.
"Well at least you're okay," Naruto said grinning and giving me a playful punch in the shoulder. Even though it was light, I was unstable and fell back. As I hit the ground hard everyone held their breath.
“Nar.u.tooooooooo...." I said, my voice irritated. Naruto let out a scared squeak and everyone laughed.
 
3RD POV
 
"Thank you. This bridge would never have been completed without you," Tazuna said a week later. Team seven was standing at the end of the bridge. Tazuna and the rest of the water country stood in front of them. Inari walked up to Naruto, tears threatening to fall.
"I guess this is goodbye..."
"Y-yeah.." Naruto said, his voice shaky.
"You can cry.." Inari said weakly.
"I'm not gunna cry! You cry!"
“I don't cry! You cry!" Both boys turned the opposite way, tears streaming down their faces. Everyone sweatdropped.
Idiots.... Everything had been explained to Rayne. Haku had jumped in the way of Kakashi's attack and had died. Zabuza killed Gatoh but with the expense of his life. As for Sasuke, he hadn't been hit in a critical area and had survived. The real mystery was her, when the ice broke it hit her at her critical areas and when they removed the huge shard from her stomach blood kept on pouring. Nobody could figure out how she survived but she had a feeling Kakashi knew, although he refused to admit it. Rayen's vision turned from Sasuke to Inari. Inari had been brave and gone to the bridge to fight. She gave a small smile, it looked like everyone had changed over this trip.
"Well, we should be off." Her vision turned to Kakashi when he spoke.
"Bye!"
"Goodbye!"
"Have a safe trip!"
"Thank you!" People called out to team seven and waved as the group started on their way home, crossing the bridge.
"We still need a name for the bridge," Tsunami said, standing next to Tazuna.
"How about, the Great Naruto Bridge," Tazuna said with a smile.
"Neeeh Sasuke, when we get home, how about a date?" Sakura asked, looking past Kakashi and at Sasuke.
"No thanks..." Sasuke replied.
"Ooooh Sakura. He said 'no thanks' this time, you're getting somewhere," Rayne smirked, walking beside Naruto. Sakura smiled at you.
"You think so?"
"Sure." Rayne started laughing as she frowned and looked down, disappointed.
"Neh Sakura, I'll go with you!" Naruto piped up.
"No way!" Sakura shouted.
"Aw..." Naruto looked down and kicked a rock in disappointment. A few seconds later he tripped over the same rock.
"Aaaah!!" Naruto held onto Rayne as he fell, bringing her down with him.
"Naruto!" She yelled with Sasuke glaring at Naruto. Naruto got up quickly and ran as fast as he could away from her and down the bridge. She chased after him.
"Come back here and face me like a ninja!!" Naruto screamed and ran faster. The people back in the water country sweatdropped.
"Are you sure of that name Tazuna?" someone asked. Tazuna smiled.
 
Team seven walked toward the path that led back to Konoha. It has been about and hour and a half after they left and Naruto already felt bored.
“How much longer….” Naruto whined for the thousand time. Everyone sigh while Sakura hit him on the head.
“How many times do I have to tell you go be quiet?!” She shouted. Rayne leaned toward Sasuke,
“They'll be perfect for eachother.” Sasuke looked at me with an eyebrow raised. I sigh then explained,
“Naruto makes things fun and exciting for Sakura and Sakura keeps him in line.”
“Hn.” Sasuke replied. Rayne rolled her eyes and became quiet, still not quite use to her voice yet eventhough it has been a week after the incident. Rayne brought her hands behind her head and looked toward the sky.
“It's like I'm babysitting all of you…” Sasuke heard her mutter. By this time Naruto and Sakura were walking quietly in front of them while Sasuke smirked. Kakashi looked up lightly, seeing his smirk.
“So, what were you planning on doing until you found out that you had to baby-sit us?” Rayne looked at him, amazed at how he can ask that so casually. She smirked,
“Well I was planning on trying to overthrow the country but when I heard I'd have to baby-sit peoples my age I dropped everything to jump at the chance.” Naruto tried to stifle a laugh while Sakura glared at Rayne, wondering why Sasuke was talking to her; he never talked to her like that. Kakashi grinned from behind his mask and book while Sasuke smirk.
“Aho.” That one word. That one word that Sasuke stated made everthing freeze. Kakshi's grin went away, Sakura's glare went away, Naruto became quiet and Rayne faced him with a frown. They continued walking for a moment before Rayne started talking again,
“Anou…” She started, then faced the sky and pausing for a moment. The rest of the team leaned in, wondering what she is going to say. It sounded important.
“It's going to rain.” She said bluntly. The rest sweatdropped and anime fell at the information.
“What good does that do?! And how do you know?! There's no dark cloud in the air!!” Sakura yelled at her. Rayne gave a mushroom sigh and pointed at the clouds in front of them.
“Those clouds are a shade darker then the ones above us,” At this point Rayne pointed to the clouds above then while everyone tried to see what she was talking about.
“Besides, the more we walk toward there the air smells different. It feels wetter, meaning there's more moisture in the air along with the fact that waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy over there, near Konoha are darker clouds. I'm sure that in about an hour we can hear the thunders if we listen closely.” The rest of the team looked at her blankly, not understanding what she was saying.
“Look, I'm not speaking alien or something and I know what I'm talking about. Gut feelings are almost always right.” Rayne then looked at Kakashi.
“I think we should rest up somewhere between the next hour and hour and a half.” Kakashi nodded.
“We should just pick up the pace and go home faster.” Sasuke stated, walking faster. Sakura agreed and walked closer to him. Naruto paused to pounder the moment before turning to Rayne.
“Ray-nee-chan, what should we do?” Rayne sigh.
“They're not going to listen to me. Might as well go with them to make sure they don't die in the storm.” She then picked up the pace herself with Kakashi and Naruto lagging behind.
“How big is the storm?” Kakashi asked. Rayne looked up into the sky again. Glancing from right to left she shrugged.
“Not much… maybe enough to blow some trees over… flood some stuff… maybe be knocked over by the wind…” Kakashi and Naruto sweatdrop as she ticked off the things that can happen.
“Not much…? They both thought. By this time they caught up to Sasuke and Sakura.
“Oi Cockatoo boy, did you manage to live with pinkie here while we were back there?” Rayne asked. Sasuke glared,
“Loser,” Rayne glared back.
“Jerk.”
“Moron.”
“Freak.”
“Wannabe shinobi.”
“Kunoichi wannabe.”
“Hey! Don't call Ray-nee-chan a wannabe… you wannabe!” Naruto shouted cutting in.
“Don't call Sasuke-kun a wannabe!” Sakura shouted back. Kakashi sighs, watching his students argue. Sasuke and Rayne were arguing on the left, Sasuke being in the middle while Naruto and Sakura were arguing on the right, Naruto being closer toward the middle. However, in the next few minutes Kakashi would be trying to hold in his laughter.
“Stupid girls,” Sasuke glared at Sakura and Rayne. Rayne smirk back.
“Stupid boy,” glancing at Naruto and Sasuke.
“God you're such a loser.”
“Dork.”
“Freak.”
“Dweeb.”
“Moron.” By now, the team had stop and with every word, Rayne and Sasuke got closer glaring at one another. Finally, without them knowing it, their foreheads were touching.
“Dumb nutt.”
“Scary- cat.”
“Chicken boy.”
“Brat.”
“Annoying, self-indu-” At that moment, it seemed as though time stopped. Kakashi trying to hold his laugh in, Sakura's mouth hanged open with shock while Naruto backed away slowly. Naruto bumped into Sasuke and made him fall on Rayne. Since they were so close… they kissed while they fell. Rayne and Sasuke was wide eye in shock, not being able to move. After a moment, Sasuke scrambled off her and she also sat up. Sasuke was looking toward the ground near the teams' feet while Rayne was looking toward the sky near the forest. They both were blushing.
“Well… this has turned out… interesting.” Kakashi stated, cutting threw the awkward moment. With this sentence, everyone's senses came back. Rayne and Sasuke stood up and glared at Naruto.
“NARUTO!!!” they shouted. Naruto gulp and ran away with the two in tow. Sakura's eye twitched.
Inner Sakura: How DARE she kiss MY Sasuke! Sakura then proceed to chase Naruto herself with Kakashi to make sure they don't kill him.
In the forest, however, two people watched the scene in amusement.