Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Irony of it All ❯ Preliminaries ( Chapter 27 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 26: Preliminaries
 
The room was silent as everyone processed what was being said. Drop out or fight in your current condition....
"Well, I'm outta here..." Everyone's eye widened. Rayne looked past Neji's team to Kabuto.
"K-Kabuto...?" Naruto's mouth opened wide.
The proctor coughed. "You're Yakushi Kabuto of Konoha? Okay, you can go."
“He went through all that...just to quit?” Rayne couldn't believe it as she watched Kabuto.
The proctor continued to speak. "Oh, so you know, from here on you no longer fight as teams, but individuals. So, if you really don't feel up to it, no one is relying on you. Will anyone drop out?"
"Kabuto! What are you doing!?" Naruto suddenly exclaimed. Kabuto looked over to team seven's blonde teammate. "Naruto, gomen but those guys we fought really took it out of me and ever since the first exam with the sound team, my left ear is completely messed up. They say this could be a fight to the death and honestly, I'm really not up to that."
Team seven watched in silence and Naruto sighed.
"Well, this is familiar. If memory serves me right, this is the same point he dropped out last time...what is he up to?" the Hokage mused.
"Yakushi Kabuto....well according to this, he's failed six times now," Anko spoke quietly to the Hokage, looking down at a clip board.
The Hokage's eyes widened. "What are his records?"
Anko looked to her clip board again. "Nothing extraordinary. In his academy days, he was an average student. It took him three attempts to graduate...since then he's completed two C-ranked missions and 14 D-ranked. Nothing astonishing on battle records....except..."
"Except...?" the Hokage echoed.
Anko looked to the Hokage. "Do you remember hearing about a young boy who was brought back form the battle at Kikyo Pass?"
"Yes...if I remember correctly, a jonin ninja of the medical corps took in an enemy youth who had survived on the battlefield...." the Hokage looked to Kabuto. "Is that him?"
Yoroi, a teammate of Kabuto, whispered into Kabuto's ear. "Has it become too much; ready to snap? Is that blood of yours just ready to flow freely? Just what do you think you're doing? Have you forgotten Lord Orochimaru's orders?"
Kabuto smirked and looked back at Yoroi. "You guys can take it from here. Besides Yoroi, with your abilities, this should be no problem, eh? This is a perfect opportunity to show off your strength."
"You may think you're Lord Orochimaru's favorite, but don't push it," Yoroi sneered back at Kabuto.
Kabuto smirked and looked away. He turned to your group and with a wave, began to walk away. “I look forward to our next meeting Sasuke and Rayne. Oh, and you too Naruto...” Rayne heard a gasp and looked ahead of her. Sasuke was slightly hunched over, grasping at his neck.
"Sasuke?" Rayne whispered. Sakura looked to you then to Sasuke. Her eyes quivered in worry.
"So..." Hayate coughed lightly. "There will be no more withdraws?"
Sasuke let out another gasp of pain and Sakura quickly reacted. "Sasuke, you should quit too!" Rayne and Naruto looked to Sakura.
"Ever since Orochimaru attacked you, you've been in pain! And it keeps getting worse! Don't think I can't see it!" Sakura said, tears starting to form in her eyes. "Please, withdraw!"
"Sakura, shut up!" Rayne yelled in her face.
Sakura looked up to her in shock. Rayne stared at her. "Just, shut up! Sasuke's a big boy now, he can take care of himself! Stop worrying!"
"Oh don't tell me that! You're worrying too, I can see it! At least I care enough to do something!" Sakura hissed back.
Rayne's eyes flashed dangerously. "Don't ever try to say I don't care!"
"You never have and you know it! You just make Sasuke feel worse! You hate him!"
Rayne took a step back, eyes wide. Sakura continued to stare coldly. Rayne's eyes narrowed to empty slits and she growl, "Fine." Rayne turned away, showing her back to your team. Naruto looked between her and Sakura, eyes quivering. Sakura stared at her for a moment before turning to Sasuke, who was watching Rayne.
"Sasuke..." Sasuke turned his head to look at Sakura.
"Please, withdraw...."
"..........."
"Sasuke!"
"Just be quiet, Sakura," Sasuke said.
“But Sasuke, you need to-"
"Sakura, shut up!"
“Isn't that what I said to her?” Rayne mutter under her breath loud enough for Sakura to hear.
Tears fell down Sakura's face. Her eyes hardened. "Fine, then I'll do it for you..." Sakura began to raise her hand but was stopped. Sakura's eyes widened as she looked down. Sasuke's hand was wrapped around her wrist, stopping her arm from rising. Sasuke's other hand still grasped at his neck.
Sasuke looked to Sakura. "Keep your mouth shut."
"Why do you have to be strong all the time!?"
"Stay out of this, this is none of your business..." Sasuke hissed.
"But....but...."
"Oi, the two of you, just shut up," Rayne suddenly ordered. The team looked to her back.
"All your dramatics is drawing everyone's attention to us..." Team looked around. True enough, teams were starting to look over. Solemnly, the team began to get back into a straight line. Rayne kept her gaze away from everyone as she stubbornly crossed arm arms tightly across her chest.
“And Sakura, stop crying.”
A team away, Shikamaru looked over to Rayne. He watched her for a moment. “Just what is going on...”
As Rayne heard another gasp of pain from Sasuke, she lightly looked to him. Her arms began to fall to her side slightly but then Naruto looked back at Sasuke, catching her eye. She quickly looked away, crossing her arms stubbornly once more.
The Hokage watched the team. "It's just as I feared...."
"What can we do?" Ibiki asked.
"Pull him out of the exam," said Anko. "Quarantine him under the Black Ops."
"Do you really think he would just quietly agree to that?" Kakashi suddenly challenged. "Keep in mind, he's a member of the Uchiha Clan," Kakashi said.
"Then I'll stop him with force!" Anko said.
"And what about Rayne?" Kakashi questioned.
Anko bit her lip. "Well...Rayne will stay! She doesn't have the mark…but Sasuke...it's a miracle that boy is still alive!"
"Anko...."
"My Lord..." Anko started, looking to the Hokage.
"I'm concerned about what Orochimaru said...let the boy proceed..."
Anko's mouth twisted. "L-lord Hokage...!"
"If the curse mark begins to spread we will restrain him," the Hokage assured.
Anko looked down slightly. "Yes sir..."
"Okay, well then, we will now begin the preliminaries which will consist of individual combat matches," Hayate began to explain. "Seeing as there are twenty candidates remaining, there will be a total of ten fights. Those who pass this will go on to the third exam. These battles permit any means of battle. The match will end wen one ninja is dead, unconscious or admits defeat. If you value your life, make sure to give in if you find your opponent is over-powering you. Seeing as though we don't want a lot of bloodshed here, I will stop the match if I see the clear winner of the match, Hayate scanned the group of genin. From here on, fate will decide...."
There was a muffled 'rumble' sound and everyone looked to the back wall. A section of the wall moved up to reveal a large screen. Hayate began to explain. "This is an electronic score board. At the beginning of a match, two names will randomly appear on the screen and those two will be opponents. We will begin now and the first two opponents will be shown."
Everyone turned their attention to the back wall. A jumble of yellow lettering scrambled itself, looking for a match. You gulped lightly, clenching one hand into a fist. It went on for a second more and....Rayne's heart almost stopped.
 

Uchiha Sasuke
VS
Akado Yoroi

 

A small gasp of air escaped Sakura's parted lips. “No...Sasuke.....
A smirk slithered onto Sasuke's face. “Right off the bat eh?”
Yoroi smirked as well. “Couldn't have planned it better...”
"Will the individuals whose names are listed on the board come forward now?" Hayate called out. Sakura watched Sasuke in fear as he slowly stepped away from the group and headed towards Hayate. A pang of emotion suddenly filled Rayne's chest. She grip her hands in a fist and turned her head, facing Naruto.
"Akado Yoroi, Uchiha Sasuke, you two have been selected to compete in the first match. Any objections?" Hayate asked as he stood in between Sasuke and Yoroi who faced each other.
"I'm good..." Sasuke spoke.
"None here," Yoroi agreed.
Sakura stared in silent horror. “Now all I can do it sit back and watch...”
Naruto put a grim look on his face. “Sasuke, if you ever plan on facing me, you better win this...”
Ino watched closely. “Something's not right with Sasuke...”
Dosu also watched intently. “The curse mark....”
Lee held a fist in front of him. “Good luck Sasuke!”
Neji smirked. “Let's see what you're made of...”
Throbbing hit Sasuke again and he winced. “The pain's not getting any better....”
Yoroi smirked behind the purple cloth he wore over his mouth. “The boy's in pain”
Rayne sigh and faced Sasuke again, one shoulder slouching. “Even in his condition, he should give it 110%… Sasuke you idiot, don't lose….”
"It's time for the first match to commence. Everyone other than the two opponents should move to the upper gallery now," Hayate instructed, pointing to the balcony that hung all the way around the arena several feet up. As everyone began to walk towards the stairs to the balcony, the team saw Kakashi step into the arena.
"Kakashi-sensei!" Naruto called out. Kakashi ignored him, however, and stopped next to Sasuke. "Sasuke, don't use your Sharingan..."
Sasuke's eyes widened. "How did you know?"
"If the curse mark on your neck is allowed to run rampant, the consequences will change your life," Kakashi said.
Sasuke's eyes darkened. "I figured..."
Kakashi began to walk away. "If they see any sign of that, the match will be immediately stopped, and I'll be forced to stop you."

Sasuke's eyes widened again and he watched as Kakashi left. Sasuke put a hand to his curse mark. “This mark seems to respond to my chakra. If I use my chakra carelessly, the mark will take over my body....In this match, I'll have to be careful...”
"Rayne! Come on! Get off the field!" Sasuke turned around to find her, solely standing on the arena floor. She was dazing off looking to his side, but as her eyes met Sasuke and stayed there for a minutes.
"......."
"......." She flashed Sasuke a strain smile and walked towards the steps, her footsteps echoing throughout the room. Shikamaru's eyes followed her as she made her way up the steps to your team. “Rayne....you've changed....” Chouji glanced back to Shikamaru and the two nodded. As Rayne made it to her team, everyone turned their attention back to the match. Kakashi stood at the railing, Sakura standing beside him with her hands to her heart. Naruto was sitting, his legs sticking through the railing. Rayne sat down too, but against the wall. She pulled her black shirt closer to her as she brought her knees to her chest and looked down best from her spot. Kakashi glanced back at her but said nothing.
"Alright..." Hayate stepped back away from Sasuke and Yoroi. "Begin."
Yoroi brought two fingers to his face. "Shall I start?"
Sasuke smirked. "Go for it."
Yoroi's right hand began to glow with a green light. Yoroi's left hand reached back into a weapon pouch and brought out a shuriken. Sasuke quickly took out a kunai as the shuriken were flung at him and he deflected them. The shuriken flew back at Yoroi as Sasuke took a step back in pain as the curse mark stung again.
 
 
 
 
"When you stopped me...I...I could feel something..."
"Feel something?" Rayne echoed quietly. He turned his head, his eyes locking with her. "I don't know how to describe it...but when you made contact with me...I could feel something...something that I've never felt before...like another presence entering my body."
Rayne blinked in confusion. At first she thought Sasuke might be talking about the curse mark, but that couldn't be it. Sasuke sighed and turned his head away. "Nevermind, forget about it."
 
 
 
Sasuke....
 
 


Chakra swirled around Rayne. Or...at least that's what she figured. Everything was blue.
“Where am I? Where's the match? A large 'growling' sound made her whirl around.
"Hello?" Her voice echoed with no response. she narrowed your eyes as she moved in that direction.
 
 


In the meantime, Sasuke fought hard. Yoroi kept the weapons coming and Sasuke was forced to dodge them all, making close calls every time. Sakura bit her lip and looked back to Rayne. She double took and looked at you closely. You sat against the wall, unmoving. Your eyes were closed tightly and two of your fingers were pressed together. {What is she...}

A yell from the arena brought Sakura's attention back to the match. Your eyes snapped open.

"Yes!" Naruto cheered. Rayne slowly stood up, moving closer to the railing on Kakashi's unoccupied side. She looked down. Both Sasuke and Yoroi were on the ground. Sasuke had his legs holding Yoroi down but suddenly, one of Yoroi's hands reached up and grabbed the collar of Sasuke's shirt. Sasuke's eyes widened. “My strength...it's fading!

Yoroi released his grip and balled his hand into a fist and punched Sasuke, sending him flying. You leaning over the railing, grasping it with both hands. Sasuke laid on the ground, panting. {Wh-where did my strength go?}

Yoroi took off again towards Sasuke. Sakura called his name as Yoroi's hand grasped Sasuke's forehead. Sasuke's right hand grabbed onto Yoroi's arm, trying to pry it off of him. Sasuke struggled for a moment before his arm fell to the side. Rayne's eyes widened. Sasuke..... She grasped the railing tighter, her knuckles threatening to rip through her skin. Kakashi looked down to her, watching her face and noticed that after a moment she glared dangerously at the field. “Stupid Sasuke Kakashi gave a mental sigh and focused his attention back onto the field.
"Y-you're feeding on my chakra...." Sasuke realized.
"So, you finally figured it out?" Yoroi smirked. Standing on the balcony, in between the two sound teams stood the sound sensei. Unknown to everyone else, he was also Orochimaru. He smirked as he watched Sasuke fight. Good, Yoroi is absorbing all of Sasuke's chakra. Once all of his chakra is gone, Sasuke will have no other choice but to use the curse mark...
"If you try to resist, you will surely die," Yoroi told Sasuke. Sasuke panted, losing more and more energy.
“Is this it?
"Sasuke!!" Sasuke eye's widened as Rayne's voice cut through the air.
"Sasuke! Are you honestly gunna lose here! Come on! You'd better beat this guy! You can't leave me here with the two idiots!"
Sasuke smirked slightly. Trying to push strength into his body, Sasuke managed to kick Yoroi off. Kakashi turned to you. "Rayne...." She merely glanced to her sensei then back down to the match. He smirked and looked back to the watch. Yoroi smirked down on the arena floor. "Imagine, a vermin like you, still having strength to oppose me..."
Sasuke panted, standing up. He glanced up to his team.
"Come on! Wipe the floor with this guy!" Rayne called, leaning over the railing even more. Naruto grinned then turn toward Sasuke, shouting words himself.
"She's really starting to get annoying..." Yoroi said, regaining Sasuke's attention. "I'll finish you off quick and then maybe, I'll get to crush her as well, in the third exam, assuming a wrench like her can get that far."
Sasuke scowled. "You don't get to talk about my teammate like that...."
Yoroi smirked. "And just what are you going to do about it?" Sasuke took a step back. He glanced up at his team with an uncertain look. His vision rested on Rayne and she gave him a reassuring nodd. He looked back to Yoroi and smirked.
"I'll wipe that smirk clean off your face!" Yoroi cried and ran at Sasuke, hand glowing again. Sakura closed her eyes as Yoroi neared but opened them when Rayne gave a triumphant call. Sasuke had gotten under Yoroi, kicked him in the jaw sending Yoroi flying upwards. After he was up in the air, Sasuke followed, getting behind Yoroi.
Gai's eyes widened. “That's....
Lee gasped. “my move....
"It's over," Sasuke said under Yoroi as he poked Yoroi in the back. "Eat this!"
But suddenly, Sasuke winced in pain.
Crap! Sasuke coughed out a small amount of blood as the curse mark started to spread its red marks across Sasuke's body. Orochimaru smirked. Sasuke squinted his eyes shut as the curse mark began to spread across his face
I won't let this.....
"Sasuke!" Sakura called, followed by Rayne and Naruto.
Sasuke's eyes snapped open. I can't let this consume me!
With all of Sasuke's will, the curse mark began to recede back into the seal. Anko's eyes widened. He pushed it back!
Sasuke smirked. "Okay, let's go."
Sasuke sent a kick at Yoroi's side which Yoroi blocked with his arm. Sasuke took this chance to bring his arm down hard on Yoroi's chest, sending him flying towards the arena floor.
"And now...." As Yoroi was inches away from the ground, Sasuke brought his leg down on Yoroi, crashing him deep into the tiled floor. “Shishirendan Barrage of Lions!”
Blood flew from Yoroi's mouth and Sasuke skidded back. Hayate stepped forward as Yoroi lay in the cracked tiling and Sasuke lay flat on his face, feet away. Hayate walked over to Yoroi and put a hand to his head. "I can tell you without even looking...."
Hayate stood up as Sasuke got to his knees and wiped at his mouth. "Yoroi is unable to battle. This match goes to Uchiha Sasuke."
Sakuralet out a screech that made Kakashi cover his ears. "YES! HE DID IT! HE DID IT! I KNEW YOU COULD!!! WHOOOO!!!!!"
Naruto's short cheer was even drowned about by her continuous yells.
SAKURA! Rayne shouted, making the girl giggle nervously. She then return toward Sasuke and grinned, while leaning over the railing and shouting with Naruto,
“Baka Sasuke! Of course you'll win!” Under her breath, only loud enough for Kakashi-sensei to hear she muttered, “But even if you lost I'll make sure these idiots come bug you…” Shikamaru look over from feet away from their group. He raised an eyebrow. Sasuke sat up completely and looked up at Rayne as she cheered. He smirked. As Kakashi appeared behind Sasuke, Rayne smiled to herself. He managed to retract the curse mark. Wow Sasuke, you barely ever cease to amaze me...
Lee watched Sasuke. His Sharingan must have copied my attack, allowing him to use it. Amazing...
I have to make sure I do just as good! Naruto told himself.
Sasuke panted slightly. Man, that move took almost all my energy...I can't do it too often...
"Sasuke is just the best!" Ino exclaimed, hearts in her eyes.
"I'm hungrrrryyyyy!! Fooooood!!" Chouji whined.
Shikamaru sighed. “We're doomed....
"W-Wow...." Hinata commented softly.
"Come on, it was that great," Kiba said, glancing over to Rayne as she watched Sasuke. As two medical nins took Yoroi away on a stretcher, another one stopped by Sasuke and Kakashi. "Uchiha Sasuke, we must escort you too and put you under the care of the medical corps."
"I'll handle him," Kakashi assured the nin. He leaned down to Sasuke's ear. "He can come with me right now and I'll seal away the curse mark."
Sasuke turned to Kakashi. "Now? Can't it wait?"
"No, we have to do it now Sasuke," Kakashi said.
"But-"
"Sasuke, we don't have time to watch all the matches."
"I don't want to see all of them!" Kakashi blinked and followed Sasuke's gaze. Sasuke was watching Rayne, and she was watching Ichiro's team, who was watching her. Kakashi sighed as he looked back down to Sasuke. "Come on...."
Sasuke continued to watch her but sighed. Without further argument, Sasuke stood up.
"The next match will now commence!" Hayate announced. Rayne's eyes followed Sasuke as he and Kakashi left. She sighed and looked back to the score board as names began to flash.
Aburame Shino
VS.
Zaku
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sorry, I'm too lazy to do the fight now….~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
"Winner, Aburame Shino," Hayate announced as Zaku was taken away on a stretcher. Rayne stood beside Naruto and crossed her arms, looking down upon the arena.
POOF!
The team turned around to find that Kakashi had appeared behind their team. "Yo...."
Sakura opened her mouth.
"Stop Sakura..." Rayne muttered.
She looked at her.
"Sasuke is fine. He's sleeping soundly in the infirmary," Kakashi said. He added silently in his head. Not to mention being surrounded by a squad of Black Ops... They heard the sound of scrambling letters and turned their attention to the large board on the wall. It beeped and two names appeared.

Tsurugi Misumi
VS.
Kankuro


Kankuro smirked. “Finally, my turn
~~~~~~bleh well, I'm just gonna skip all these battles…. Sorry! Being lazy at the moment…~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Hayate watched in silence for a moment before announcing. "Winner, Kankuro." Rayne watched Kankuro collect his puppet and make his way back to Gaara and Temari. She then turned yherour attention back to the arena as Misumi was taken away. Not much of a battle, but Kankuro seems strong enough... She glanced over to Ichiro's team. Ichito was watching her, so she quickly averted her gaze.
 
 
Sakura turned off the faucet as she ran wet fingers through her hair. She sighed, looking up into the mirror. Her eyes narrowed as Ino popped up in the reflection.
"Ino."
Ino smirked, leaning against the door frame. "Scared Sakura?"
"Wha-" Sakura cut herself off and looked down to the old sink.
Ino folded her arms across her chest. "Even Sasuke got hurt. He got off with minor injuries because duh, he's Sasuke, but you...maybe you should just give up."
Sakura touched the tips of her short, pink hair. She looked into the mirror, remembering the battle in the Forest of Death. She smirked. No way, I can do this...
"Actually..." Sakura walked towards the door, stopping right in front of Ino. "I can't wait until it's my turn."
Ino's eyebrows furrowed as Sakura walked away. As Ino sighed and exited the room, Rayne stepped out of the corner. She walked over to the sinks and stared down the hall. She wrinkled her nose. "Man I hate those two...." Rayne turned to the mirror and put her hands on the sink. She stared into her dark eyes. They were still, empty and bags were forming under them. She turned on the water and put her and underneath it, using it straighten out the bangs that were strewn across her eyes.
 
 
 
"Let's just kill her right away," Zaku spoke.
"Oh no you don't!" Rayne scowled, getting in a defense position as Sakura winced from behind her.
Zaku smirked and stepped forward before he was stopped by an outstretched arm. The arm belonged to his female partner. The girl stared at her, a lethal smirk set upon her lips. "No, the one with the dark hair is mine."
 
 
"Guess I'll get going, I'll be late for the next match..." Rayne entered the arena room again and walked up onto the balcony. She walked back to Kakashi and Naruto. "Hey guys who's-wooooah! What happened!?"
She looked down to the arena. In the middle stood Ino and Sakura. She glanced to the board and sure enough, their names both shown on the board in bright yellow characters.
"Of all the other combinations, it's these two..." Shikamaru muttered.
"Is Ino gunna be okay?" Chouji asked.
"Sakura!! Do your best! Come on!!" Naruto cheered. Rayne narrowed her eyes at Naruto, her left one twitching.
Hayate raised an arm. "Begin." Immediately, the two kunoichi set off, charging at each other. Sakura sent a kick at Ino's head, Ino blocked. Ino sent a punch at Sakura's stomach; Sakura blockedWith each attack sent, it would be blocked. Sakura threw several kunai but Ino knocked them down with her own. Sakura charged.
"Oh boy..." Chouji muttered.
"Yes! Sakura is at an advantage!" Naruto grinned.
"Bakka..." Shikamaru muttered.
"What did you say!?" Naruto turned to face Shikamaru, whose team seemed to have gotten closer to yours over the short break.
"Man you're stupid..." Shikamaru continued.
"They're females, their states and speed are slower..." Rayne's ears picked up the last statement and she turned around. Naruto followed her actions. It was Neji, standing with his team and watching the match.
"It's not because they're female," Tenten argued. "These two are just going soft on each other. Sex doesn't matter."
Naruto's eyes widened. He looked to the match, and then back to Tenten. "Soft...?" Rayne sigh and rolled her eyes and boredly turned back to the match. Both girls were fist fighting again and she could tell they were getting tired. Finally, Ino landed a hit and hit Sakura in the stomach. Sakura's eyes widened as the wind was knocked out of her. Ino's eyes widened. Here's my chance!Ino sent a punch at Sakura's face but suddenly, she haulted. Naruto gasped lightly. Sakura blinked, confused and stared at Ino. Ino looked confused and looked to her hand. There was a moment of silence before Sakura started talking. "Now that it has come to this, I have no intention of fighting you over Sasuke."
Ino's eyes widened. "What?"
"You and Sasuke just don't match! I'm also stronger than you now, you're not even a rival!" Sakura spat.
Ino's face twisted evily. "Sakura! You don't even know who you're talking to!!"
"Wow...it's not like Sakura to be so mean..." Naruto said. "Ino looks scary now..."
"You're right, it's not like Sakura to brag about her power-"
“What power?” Rayne asked loudly, sarcasm and bordness in her tone. Kaakshi sigh, I thought they would've gotten closer
Kakashi looked back to Naruto. "Anyway, Sakura doesn't want Ino to go easy on her."
Sakura watched the floor. Ino...I've always wanted to become like you. It's because of you I'm here now...but that is why I must fight you seriously now...
Sakura looked up to Ino, fire in her eyes. Sakura reached up, untieing her headband. She quickly brought it out of her hair.
"Why did Sakura take off her headband?" Naruto asked.
Rayne glanced over to her blonde teammate. "You're really not getting this are you?"
Naruto looked to her in questions as both girls put their headbands around their foreheads.
"Ino and Sakura are rivals. Haven't you ever seen them fight?"
"Rivals?"
"Yeah, like you and Sasuke. They both want to be better than the other and they won't stop fighting until they prove it, more to themselves than anyone else. This battle, this is a battle between two kunoichis...a battle to see which kunoichi is a true shinobi," Rayne leaned forward, putting her arms on the railing and resting her head on her arms. “The sad part is...I can remember back when they were best friends...”
 
 
 
 
"Okay, I want everyone to partner up. Girls with girls and boys with boys please," the teacher instructed from the front of the room. The young Rayne looked disappointedly at Shikamaru and Chouji. They shrugged in an apologetic matter. Rayne stood up, stepping into the isle and looking around. She spotted a girl with blue hair, sitting in a desk by the wall.
"Excuse me..." The girl looked to her shyly.
Rayne gave a small smile. "Do you have a partner?"
The girl shook her head no. Rayne smiled a little wider. "Would you like to be my partner?"
The girl shyly nodded.
"Cool," she took a seat next to the girl.
A male sensei came in and took the boys outside, sparring her figured. Rayne crossed her arms, muttering. "No fair."
The girl next to her, who she now knew as Hinata, looked to her, then forward again. The female sensei in the front of the room passed out a bouquet of flowers to each set of partners.
"Should you be a spy in a enemy country, you need to learn to blend in. Women in other countries may not be kunoichi like you and you have to abide by their customs. We will work on flower arrangements today, an example of how to blend in."
Hinata picked up a blue flower, naming it. "Tricyrtis." Rayne grabbed a few white flowers to match.
"No, see Sakura..."
She looked over to the partners sitting beside them. It was Haruno Sakura and Yamanaka Ino. Ino giggled, poking Sakura in the nose. Sakura dried a tear and giggled, picking up a flower and placing it by Ino's. Rayen smiled, “Reminds me of Itachi-sensei
 

As Rayne watched the two fight now she narrowed her eyes. Sakura preformed a jutsu and knocked Ino back. Her eyes glazed over a moment. On second thought...
"Way to go Sakura!" Naruto cheered. Sakura ran forward, pulling back her fist. Ino copied. The two met and caught each other's punches. The two tried to push against each other but ended up jumping back. They each grabbed a shuriken and flung it, but they canceled each other out.
They're too equally matched... She looked over to Hayate. When will he end this?
Ino breathed heavily, sending a punch at Sakura. When...when did she get so strong!
Sakura copied her movements. I...have to win! Sakura's fist collided with Ino's face and Ino's fist collided with Sakura's face. They both were knocked backwards before they quickly got to their feet. Hayate watched the two girls. This battle has been going on for ten minutes...
Sakura smirked at Ino. "There's no way someone who obsesses of her appearance and hair is my rival."
Ino took out a kunai, angerly shouting back to Sakura. "Don't underestimate me!"
"Bakka, she's letting Sakura get to her," Shikamaru said.
Chouji nodded. "I don't like this..." Sakura's eyes widened as Ino brought the kunai to her pony tail and brought the blade through it.
Sakura smirked. "You are so weak minded..."
Shikamaru's eyes widened. “Crap! She's finally lost it!
Ino held her hair out in front of her. She flung her hair out towards Sakura. "You see!? I don't need this!"
Ino put her fingers together in a handsign. "I'll end this now, by making you give up!"
"No way! She wouldn't!" Shikamaru exclaimed. She put her hands out, showing the seal of her kekki genki.
"Oh man, she's using the Mind Transfer jutsu!" Shikamaru stepped forward with his team in shock.
Asuma rubbed the back of his neck. "Geez..."
"That's not going to help you," Sakura smirked.
"We'll just see about that!" Ino shouted.
"You're using the Mind Transfer Jutsu, right? Your mind energy transfers to another body for five minutes, controling the body, in which time your body is useless. But Ino, if your technique misses, it will not return and will be lost for the five minutes, you will then lose," Sakura said.
“She didn't need to tell Ino how it works… I mean it is her jutsu after all…” Rayne muttered.
Ino smirked. "Well we won't know until we try!"
Shikamaru bit his lip. “Idiot! Sakura took off running.
"Mind Transfer Technique!" Rayne stood up straight, interested as both Ino and Sakura stood, head and arms dropping. Ino's body slumped into a sitting position. Suddenly, Sakura began to laugh. "Nice try, Ino."
"Crap..." Shikamaru muttered.
"It's all over," Chouji sqeaked. Sakura smirked and took a step forward, but then stopped in her tracks. Sakura looked down to see Ino's golden locks connected and holding Sakura's legs down like ropes of chakra.
"You've fallen into my trap, Sakura. I got you," Ino looked up smirking. "It's true that my jutsu moves slow, but I tricked you. I pretended to miss and slumped to my knees so I could send chakra through my hair, making a rope so now you can't move. Now, it's time for you to give up."
"Oh wow, Ino's actually good..." Rayne mused.
"Run, Sakura!" Naruto yelled. Sakura tried to move but she was stuck, paralyzed.
"Now, Mind Transfer Technique!" There was silence in the stadium and Ino slumped. Sakura brought her legs together, eyes shadowed over. "Nice try, Sakura."
"She...she..." A smile appeared on Sakura's face and her arm began to rise. "I, Haruno Sakura, give-"
"NO!" Rayne's eyes widened slightly, and she looked over to Naruto. He was standing on the bottom bar of the railing. "Sakura! You've come a long way to get here! You can't let her get to you now!"
"Ah! Get out of my head!"
"Sakura!" Rayne shouted. “
"Get out!"
"Hey, are you going to forfit or not?" Hayate asked. Sakura hesitated, Rayne then shouting,
“You'll never get as strong as me or Sasuke, for that matter, if you don't win this stupid match pinkie!”
"No I'm not!" Sakura yelled at Hayate, then glaring at Rayne before shouting at herself.
"Get out!"
"No way, this can't be!"
"But it is!"
Kakashi watched, astonished. Sakura...she's actually...breaking through Ino's jutsu!}
Rayne rubbed her temple. “I knew there was something wrong with her
Sakura's fingers came together. "Release!" A blue sheild surrounded Sakura and it whipped back to Ino's body. Sakura slumped to the ground, breathing heavily, glaring at Ino. Ino looked glared back.
Shikamaru watched, mouth open. “Sakura beat Ino's technique!
Ino used up too much chakra before the technique, so it wasn't strong enough Asuma knew, watching his student.
"H-how!? Just who are you!?" Ino shouted.
Sakura smirked. "I'm a girl who's as strong as she is beautiful."
"So she's not very strong then..." Rayne muttered.
"Come again?" Kakashi asked.
"Nothing."
Sakura and Ino stood up, panting. None the less, the two smirked and ran forward. Their fists made contact with each other's face. Blood squirted from their mouths and two headbands flew. Both kunoichis flew back. Slowly, they tried to sit up, but they both fell back, unable to move.
Hayate looked at the two before announcing. "Both are unable to fight. This is a double knock out, we will move on to the fourth battle." Kakashi and Asuma collected their students and brought them back up to the balcony. They propped the girls up against the wall next to each other. Everyone ran over and formed a semi-circle around the two kunoichi. Rayne however, were on the arena floor as two people in grey costumes came to collect the hair Ino had cut off during the floor. She stared at the two headbands in her hands. In her left, Sakura's, in her right, Ino's.
 
 
 
 
 


Sakura flew down at Zaku, doing handsigns again.
"That basic technique isn't going to work," Zaku spoke. Zaku smirked and threw a few kunais at Sakura and Sakura protected her head with her arms. Zaku then began looking around. "Now where'd she go?"
However, Zaku was forced to look up again as a drop of blood landed on his face. Sakura took out a kunai, still coming down at Zaku. Zaku's eyes widened. “She didn't use the replacement technique this time”
Sakura came down at Zaku, pushing the kunai into his arm. She quickly bit down hard on his other arm. Your eyes widened as Zaku began punching Sakura's head, trying to get her off, but she didn't budge
"Dammit! Let go!" Zaku continued to punch Sakura and blood began to drip down her forhead.
 
 
 
 

Rayne walked back up the balcony, staring at Sakura's headband.
 
 
 
 
"Why did Sakura take off her headband?" Naruto asked.
Rayne glanced over to her blonde teammate. "You're really not getting this are you?"
Naruto looked to her in questions as both girls put their headbands around their foreheads.
"Ino and Sakura are rivals. Haven't you ever seen them fight?"
"Rivals?"
"Yeah, like you and Sasuke. They both want to be better than the other and they won't stop fighting until they prove it, more to themselves than anyone else. This battle, this is a battle between two kunoichis...a battle to see which kunoichi is a true shinobi."
 
 


Rayne walked past Kakashi, placing Sakura's headband on her lap, then Ino's on her lap. As everyone left the two to rest and see who was up next, she squatted down next to Sakura. She stared at her a minute before smiling.
"Sakura...the headband on the forehead thing...not the greatest look for you."