Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Kunai Incident ❯ Naruto's Story ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warnings and Disclaimer: See the first chapter. Also - I know some of the words are probably kind of big for Naruto, but I did warn about OOCness, so…
 
NOTE: I also changed the first chapter quite a bit, so check it out before you read this one!
 
Also - I'm going with the Japanese way of making things plural - they don't add anything! So don't say that I need an `s' at the end of my kunai, or I'll throw them at you! (Just kidding…I think…)
 
Chapter 2: Naruto's Story
 
“What do you mean you only had five kunai?” Kakashi asked, still surprised that the boy had suddenly started talking to him.
 
“Well…I'd already thrown the others. That was going to be my last shot.”
 
“…you mean you and Iruka still do Saturday night kunai practice?”
 
“Yeah! It's kind of a tradition…” Naruto trailed off and looked at Iruka, who had started twitching again on the bed he was strapped to. “I still can't figure out why he did it.”
 
Now they were getting somewhere! “Did what?”
 
“Stabbed himself. With that kunai I didn't throw.”
 
“Are you sure you only had…” Kakashi stopped and stared at the nodding blond boy. “Wait! He DID stab himself!?”
 
“That's what I said, isn't it?”
 
“Why would…could you tell the story from the beginning? Please?” Kakashi asked, a hint of desperation in his voice.
 
“Sure! Maybe you can figure it out!” And Naruto told Kakashi this story…
 
“Since you were gone, Iruka-sensei took me to out for some ramen instead of cooking. When we finished, we stayed and talked a while but when we walked outside, the sun was still out. When we got home, we decided to start practice early so we could get to bed sooner. Iruka-sensei promised to let me tag along for his Sunday morning run and we could get some ramen before he had to go to the mission room at noon.
 
“So we went to the clearing in the forest at the edge of the village and practiced. Iruka-sensei was awesome! He taught me how to juggle kunai without getting cut. He said it would help me learn how to catch them better. And it worked! He threw some at me and I caught all of them by the handle! I didn't even get a scratch…
 
“Next, we threw kunai at trees. We took turns calling out targets for each other and trying to hit the mark. I did OK, but Iruka-sensei kicked butt! Yeah, yeah…I'm getting there…now it was my turn to throw kunai at Iruka-sensei.
 
“He started by hiding and jumping out at me from random places. He told me to aim for his chest, but I never managed to hit him. He was too fast! Then I had to throw kunai at him while he had to deflect them with chakra or his own kunai. I thought I'd hit him once, but he just disappeared and reappeared behind me. Then he laughed and told me it was time for the last part. He had to stay in one spot and dodge my kunai without lifting his feet off of the ground. By that time, I was too tired to do much, so when Iruka-sensei saw that I only had five kunai left, he told me to throw them all at once and then we could go back to the house and get some sleep.
 
“This is where it starts getting weird. I got ready to put everything I had into that throw. I closed my eyes and concentrated on a mental picture of my target, just like Iruka-sensei had taught me. I let some of my chakra flow into the kunai, making sure it was evenly distributed among them. I took a deep breath and opened my eyes. I looked into Iruka-sensei's eyes, saw him nod, them I looked at his chest. I breathed out and threw the kunai. It was a perfect throw and I could feel it. But something was wrong. I felt it right after the kunai left my finger tips. Iruka-sensei wasn't dodging. He just stood still and watched them come toward him. All five kunai hit him. He didn't even blink. Just stood there. Then I saw that there was a sixth kunai.
 
“After a few seconds, he seemed to snap out of it, but he still stood still. He stared at a spot over my shoulder. I followed his line of sight, but couldn't see anything. After about a minute, he relaxed. Then he winced and looked down at the kunai. There was quite a bit of blood, but I knew he'd had worse injuries. I was about to suggest that we go to the hospital, but didn't `cause he did something weird. He closed his eyes and passed his hand over each of the kunai. He went over the ones I threw quickly, but stopped over the sixth. The one near his heart.
 
“He opened his eyes and looked at it. He touched the handle and winced. He kept his hand near it as he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Then he exhaled loudly and yanked it out. It hadn't been bleeding much before, but now it was bleeding pretty heavily. He stayed standing for a moment with his eyes closed, his face turning pale before he dropped to one knee. He finally looked up at me.
 
“Do you know what he said? You'll never believe it! He asked, `do you have a kunai?' Then he looked down at himself and said, `never mind.' He even kind of chuckled! Then he pulled out the one that was near his right lung, causing more bleeding. He barely even blinked. He looked up at me again and said, `turn away, Naruto-kun.' I shook my head and he shrugged.
 
“That's when he stabbed himself. The blade was parallel to the ground. Then he twisted it. He…gasped your name when he did it, Kakashi-sensei. Blood was gushing out all over the place. Then he pulled it out, stabbed, and twisted again. He made a choking sound and fell face-first onto the ground.
 
“The last thing I remember is running toward Iruka-sensei. I heard a noise behind me and turned around. Then my head hurt really bad and I woke up in the hospital earlier today. I asked where Iruka-sensei was and came here. I've been trying to figure it out ever since then. Do you have any ideas, Kakashi-sensei?”
 
“Hmm… you threw five, but there were six in his chest. He stood still and didn't do anything. Then he…stabbed himself. Anything else important you'd like to add?”
 
“Umm…no. That sums it up pretty well, actually.”
 
“OK…but that still doesn't explain why you've been growling and attacking people all day.”
 
“Well…I don't know how this happened and I wanted silence so I could think about it. And Iruka-sensei needs his rest - they were bothering him! He moved more when they were in the room!”
 
“…so why didn't you attack me?” Kakashi asked.
 
“You love Iruka-sensei almost as much as I do! I know you would never purposely hurt him. He relaxed a lot when you walked into the room, and even more the closer you got! And if you ever did hurt him, killing you would be just one more stepping stone in my quest to become Hokage!”
 
“Er…OK…what do you think about all of this, Iruka?”
 
“Huh?!” Naruto exclaimed.
 
“Hehe…can't fool you can I, Kakashi?” Iruka answered weakly.
 
“How long have you been listening?” Naruto asked suspiciously.
 
“Um…around the time you were talking about ramen for dinner.” Iruka answered.
 
“Urk! You mean the whole time! And you didn't say anything?” Naruto yelled.
 
“Hehe…sorry about that. I just wanted to hear your version of the story, Naruto-kun.”
 
“So how does his story compare to yours?” Kakashi asked.
 
“Umm…it's pretty close, but he didn't see the whole picture…”
 
TBC…
 
Author's Note: Sorry it's kinda short! Please read and review! Good reviews make me smile and smiling authors post quicker!