Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ The Shinobi Way ❯ Threads of Fate ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto, only the OC's.
 
Greetings readers and fellow Naruto freaks! This is my first fan fiction ever, so please don't be surprised if it's riddled with errors or something. Anyways, I've put a lot of work into it, so please read and review! Thanks.
 
Italics=flashbacks
­Underline=thoughts
 
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
 
Prologue: Threads of Fate
 
A young boy stood alone in the pouring rain, watching the stream underneath the bridge suck greedily into the main river. Ominous storm clouds rolled across the sky, and thunder sounded in the distance. The boy appeared to be about seven or eight years old. His silvery gray hair was slicked back, allowing only a few stray bangs to fall upon his forehead, and he wore a thick bandanna around his eyes. It would only be the work of the moment, he told himself. Just jump off the bridge. Let the current take you. Just relax, and it will be over before you know it. No more pain, no more loneliness, no more guilt, no more suffering.
 
As he slowly steeled himself for the jump, he was suddenly stopped by a soft voice behind him.
 
“Why are you out here alone?” the voice asked.
The boy's heart skipped a beat. The voice could have belonged to an angel, and the scent of strawberries tantalized his senses. He turned around to face the voice. Or at least so the voice could face him. A girl holding an umbrella stood before him, about his age, with pink hair tied back by a red bow and the most enchanting emerald eyes.
 
“Why are you out here alone?” the girl asked again.
 
The boy contemplated that question a bit before answering. “I don't have anywhere else to go,” the boy finally replied.
“Don't you have any friends or family?”
 
“My family is gone, and I never had any friends.”
 
The boy said this in a way that made it sound all but pleasant, but the girl could hear the slightest tremor in his voice, a miniscule amount of doubt.
 
The girl stepped close enough that her umbrella shielded both of them from the rain and said, “My name is Haruno Sakura. What's yours?”
 
The boy looked almost uncertain for a moment, but it passed. “Saito…yeah. Saito Elriu.” Haruno Sakura smiled, held out her small, delicate hand, and, with a single, simple sentence, saved Saito Elriu's sanity.
 
“Okay then Elriu; how about I become your first friend?”
 
Elriu froze. For a second, he looked as though he would turn tail and run, then for another second, he looked as though he would leap into the river then and there. But after those two seconds of hesitation, he smiled. He smiled such a warm and hopelessly carefree smile that it was impossible to imagine that he had been ready to take his own life only moments before. Elriu took Sakura's hand in his own and firmly shook it.
“Alright Sakura. Let's be friends.”
 
And as the two children, underneath the pouring rain, forged their pact of friendship, the threads of their fate slowly, yet surely, bound each other.
 
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
 
How do you like it? Yeah, I know it's pretty weird, but I'll explain everything in due time. Please read and review!!!