Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ TWIST OF FATE ❯ THE CELEBRATION ( Chapter 11 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER 11- THE CELEBRATION
 
- Hyuuga Manor-
 
“ Hinata nee- chan!”
 
Hinata turned around just in time to be tackled to the floor by the new Hyuuga heiress, Hanabi. Laughing at her sister's antics, Hinata propped herself up on her elbows to have a good look at her sisters happy face. Grinning, Hinata ruffled her sister's locks, “Now, now. What would people say if they saw their heiress sprawled like this.”
 
Hanabi simply huffed, “ Hmph, why should I care about what they think.”
 
Hinata smiled gently at Hanabi, turning the little face to look straight into her eyes. Unlike during the match earlier that day, Hinata's Hyuuga's eyes no longer held the hard and intense light in it. The fighting stare was now replaced with something more soft. More Hinata like.
 
“Hanabi, you are now the heiress of the Hyuuga clan. I know that ot is a big a burden on such little shoulders like yours but you really deserve it. More than I did.”
 
“Hinata nee-chan…”
 
Hanabi looked at her sister's delicate features as if wanting to imprint the very image in her mind. The delicate fair complexion, the up turned amused cupid's bow cherry lips, her nose that spoke of the noble blood that flood through her and the signature white Hyuuga eyes. Being siblings, Hinata and Hanabi were so alike in looks yet so different. Her young eyes darted towards the only difference between her and her onee-chan, the wrapping around Hinata's forehead that concealed something from the eyes of other people, including her family. A scar too hurtful to expose let alone mention.
 
Gently touching the bandaged forehead, Hanabi did not realize that tears were slowly streaming down her cheeks. “This is not supposed to be here.” she said as she traced the seal that lay underneath the layers of bandage.
 
“It must have hurt.” the younger girl whispered sorrowfully.
 
Hinata took shook her head, “Iie.”
 
Taking the younger girl's hand into hers, Hinata swept the tears off the little girl's face as she smiled her usual soft smile. “Fate has made me your sister for a purpose. And that is to protect you from whatever form of harm. Including our family”
 
Hanabi raised her white eyes to look into Hinata's own white orbs. The Hyuuga eyes that were so identical. Tears streamed down her face more and she hugged Hinata closer to her, burying her face into her sister's warm chest. Heavily sobbing into her sister's chest. “I don't care about anything. As long as you're here with me, I'd gladly have the seal put on me instead.”
 
“Shush, Hana- chan. I'm here now. There is no need to cry.” Hinata said trying to console her younger sister, stroking the long black hair.
 
Hanabi raised her tearful face to look at Hinata, “You're not going to leave me again. Aren't you?” Hanabi asked hopefully.
 
Hinata remained silent before answering. “I have never left and I never intend to.” Smiling, Hinata placed a palm just above Hanabi's chest where the heart was. “Forever and always, I'll be by your side…here.” Hinata pressed into the upper chest slightly as to emphasize her meaning.
 
Placing her other palm, Hinata gazed softly into the younger girl's white eyes. “Just as you, otousan, okaasan, Neji and everyone in the Hyuuga clan and Konoha will remain here. Inside me for always.”
 
The two sisters sat quiet looking at each other. Hanabi basking in her sister's warmth and Hinata stroking the young girl's long flowing hair. Wiping away the dried tears from the little girl's cheeks, Hinata slowly stood up, bringing Hanabi with her. Standing several inches above the heiress, Hinata straightened Hanabi's kimono.
 
“After a whole day of fighting, I've got to go and freshen up a bit. I'll see you at the banquet room shortly.” smiled Hinata. Her Hyuuga eyes twinkling.
 
Letting her tear stricken face light up, Hanabi nodded and grinned, “Don't be late nee- chan. Otou-san and Neji ni-san are going to be there too.”
 
Hinata nodded. Hanabi grinned again before turning around to run to her room. Luckily no one was around because knowing the protocols of an heiress, one simply does not go running around the house. At least not in a kimono. But Hanabi simply cared no more. Now that Hinata is back with the family, nobody is going to let them be apart anymore. Nobody is going to keep her nee-chan from her anymore.
 
FLASHBACK
 
“ I want to see Hinata! Let me through!” Hanabi screamed as she struggled against a few other Hyuuga branch members' hold on her.
 
“ We cannot allow you to go near your sister. She is a disgrace to our clan and we cannot have you following her footsteps.” said her grandfather, Toshio- san who also happened to be an Elder of the Hyuuga clan.
 
“But Hinata nee-chan is sick! I must see her…”Hanabi had started to cry knowing that her struggles were nothing for a little girl of five years old against a group of grown up male Hyuuga shinobis. “I want...need to see onee- chan…”
 
The elderly merely ignored the protest of the little girl, “Silence! You will be directed to your room immediately and you are to remain there until you are called upon. As for punishment, your training for the whole week will be doubled.”
 
“Otou- san will know about this!” Hanabi tried to threaten the old man who was also her paternal grandfather.
 
Laughing the childish threat away, Toshio-san merely glared at Hanabi, “And what will he do? Defy his own father? My dear Hanabi, even your father knows just what a waste that sister of yours is.”
 
Hanabi remained stunned, silent and grief stricken at the direct insult about her sister. Turning away, the younger Hyuuga girl ran towards her room sliding shut the tatami doors. She fell onto her futon and cried herself out into the fluffy pillows, letting go all her frustrations and sadness that had been pent up in her small heart.
 
“Hinata is not a waste. Hinata is not a loser. She is my onee-chan. The Hyuuga heiress.” cried the young girl into the silence of the night.
 
END OF FLASHBACK
 
Recalling that past memory, Hanabi grinned to no one in particular.
 
“ Grandfather will regret those words he said about Hinata now. He will so regret it.” Thought the little heiress as she made herself up for the gathering that night. “In fact, everyone will regret looking down on Hinata once.”
 
 
 
 
- The Hyuuga Banquet Room-
 
Hiashi stepped into the room followed by Hanabi behind him. A servant waiting at the doors, bowed at his feet as the other Hyuuga council members bowed in respect to their clan head and heiress. Hiashi seated himself at the head of the oblong table, while Hanabi took her place as the heiress on the right of her father. Her grandfather and Hiashi's father; Hyuuga Toshio- sat on the left side, emphasizing his position as the third most important Hyuuga main house member. Beside Toshio sat Neji as the protector of the new Hyuuga heiress. A position slightly lower than Toshio.
 
By the time Hiashi and Hanabi had arrived, all the council members were already present and seated at their respective places. After both Hiashi and Hanabi had been seated, the servant by the door quietly slid the door close. On the opposite side of the door, two Hyuuga guards were stationed as precaution should an ambush suddenly happen.
 
The maids immediately served the array of food that had been earlier prepared for the feast that night. At one corner, musicians kept the diners entertained with their soft and relaxing music as a dancer performed a traditional dance in front of the Hyuuga council members.
 
Most of the Hyuuga members that were present at the feast were decked in white yukatas and kimonos while the head and heiress wore a more elaborated version of the traditional Hyuuga attire. The feast went smoothly with silence except for the entertainment that was provided.
 
It was only when desert, a sweet treat and a platter of cut fruits and a plate of homemade Hyuuga candy were served that small chatters finally took place. It all started with Hiashi as the clan head asking how everyone was finding the small gathering that night. Of course most of them had said that it was indeed a pleasure that was rather rare in their clan. True enough, the Hyuuga clan rarely has feasts such as these and only due to absolutely valid reasons will one be held. Originally, the feast was held to celebrate Hinata's triumph in her Jounin examination but no one except for Hiashi, Hanabi and Neji was aware of that fact. Even Hinata had no inkling at all that this feast was held in her honour. Most of them thought that their clan head was in the celebrative mood or something or it must have something regarding their heiress, Hanabi.
 
“ Hanabi- sama, I must say that you are growing into a real lady these days.” exclaimed one of the elders.
 
Hanabi slightly blushed and bowed her head at the praise. Hiashi simply laughed at his younger daughter's shy demeanor.
 
Another voiced, “ Indeed. In no time, you will be a striking beauty just like your late mother, Sonoko-sama. Lethal, grace and beauty all wrapped in one delightful package.”
 
Hanabi look towards the near far end of the table. Her white eyes trailing towards an oblivious council member that apparently had found tea more interesting than the petty little chatter going around. “ You are most definitely too kind, Kimura- san. I am still far from such standards of beauty. But I do know one who was already attained most of those attributes.”
 
The elders had recognized her trail of eyes and their eyesight too traveled towards the other female Hyuuga present in the feast. Hiashi knew very well whom his youngest daughter had meant and after having a good look at her in the past few weeks have indeed proved to him that indeed, here was another Sonoko. The lethality demonstrated in the match earlier that day, the poise and grace of a true lady, sharp wits and intellectual, and the subtle and soft beauty of a white-eyed goddess. This girl was definitely Sonoko's daughter. And proudly his as well.
 
Hinata, who was silently holding the small clay teacup that was filled with jasmine tea, slowly sipped the soothingly warm beverage. Her thoughts were no longer on the chatter and gaiety of the atmosphere in the room but rather somewhere else. Truthfully, Hinata would rather be anywhere else than this stuffy room. The earlier match had taken its toll on her tired body and sleep had never sounded so heavenly.
 
However, duty as a council member got the better of her. Despite having to give up her title as the heiress, her birth into the main family had automatically made her as an official Hyuuga council member, much to her dismay. For the gathering that night, Hinata had dressed herself in a plain white kimono that was made from one of the finest material in Konoha. Though not as elaborated as the one adorned by the heiress, her own splendid attire spoke of her heritage and noble blood, as well as her status in the Hyuuga clan. The former heiress and eldest child of the clan head.
 
Her long silky straight midnight blue locks was swept into a thick neat braid that extended down until her lower back. Her eyes were basically still the same white as it was before but the soft light that they once held was replaced with something else. Fire, pain and a strong sense of obligation. They were no more as transparent as they were when she was 12 years old. These days, her eyes were the only shield to her thoughts, soul and also emotions.
 
Right then, in the surroundings of the whole Hyuuga council members, her father, sister, grandfather and cousin, it seemed her thoughts were elsewhere. The faraway look that she had on her face as she sipped and looked into her clay cup revealed nothing. It was quite a while before some words that had been spoken to her finally registered her mind.
 
Turning her head aside, she saw that almost everyone at the table had their eyes on her, except for probably one or two Elders who no longer had any interest in their former heiress. Instead of blushing and looking flustered for being caught spacing out in the middle of such an important gathering, Hinata simply stared emotionlessly and asked, “ Pardon me. I was… momentarily distracted.” No use asking them to repeat their question, statement or what ever it was they telling me, she thought to herself. If it was anything important, they would have told me gain anyway.
 
“Your sister was complimenting on how alike your mother you have grown to become.” said Hiashi with a very slight but sincere smile.
 
Hinata remained silent at the comment and unmoving. After a while, Hinata turned towards her cup once more and spoke, “Arigato, Hanabi sama.”
 
Hanabi inwardly flinched at the formality that was infused in Hinata' tone. Her sister sounded so…so distant.
 
Hinata continued to spoke in the monotone voice that gave away no emotions at all. The sound was although not too loud but clearly audible throughout the whole room. “Gomen, but I am convinced that I am still miles away from being that great a person and probably never will. ”
 
“Ahh… I see that there are still some modesty in your traits.” said one her grandfather. “I have to say that you have indeed improved your fighting skills and have proved yourself worthy as a Hyuuga member and looking at how you have grown up to become, I would say that you have earned yourself a place as one of Konoha's most eligible ladies. Just like your mother once.”
 
The only respond heard was a platonic, `thank you' from the 16 year old girl.
 
Toshio had suddenly decided to reveal a matter seeing just how fitting the occasion was at that time. “ As a present on your return to our clan, I have taken the liberty of arranging a little `present' for your victory and homecoming.”
 
The whole room was suddenly rendered speechless at Toshio's revelation.
 
Hiashi stared at his father. He was not aware of this `small present' that the elderly Hyuuga had prepared for his daughter and truthfully; Hiashi did not like the way it was about to look. Hanabi and Neji also eyed their grandfather (Neji's father is Hiashi's brother remember?) warily. Something was not right somewhere.
 
The old man took pride in his `little gift' and spoke across the table loud enough for Hinata to hear. “I have arranged with the Kage of the Coud to betroth you with their heir who will be taking his rightful place as the ruler in a few more months. The Raikage has kindly agreed to the arrangement.”
 
Most of Hyuuga members present silently gasped. A betrothal…with the Cloud after what had happened more than ten years before. It was simply unimaginable.
 
“Father. What is the meaning of this? You as well all of us know very well where we stand when it concerns the Cloud.” Hiashi spoke rather a bit too loud from usual. To say that he was surprised was an understatement. He was furious, upset and disappointed with how the former Hyuuga clan head had arranged things behind his back.
 
Neji inwardly glared at Toshio. Hating him for his `little surprise' and for being such an ignorant bastard.
 
“Exactly.” The old man became defensive. “This reunion will bridge that gap that has been there for so many years. This relationship will not only forge better ties with our enemy but also benefit Konoha. Don't you think that it is time to bury the hatchet, Hiashi.”
 
“Not at my daughter's expanse. The feud that had taken my brother's life should not sacrifice another Hyuuga member, moreover my own daughter. I will not lose another member of ny family.” Hiashi stated sternly disregarding this was his father that he was addressing and that some of the Hyuuga's backbone were present as well. The atmosphere was immediately filled with tension and Neji had cursed his luck. So much for hoping for an if not enjoyable at least tolerable night. But that senile man had to go and spoil the whole event. At that very moment, Neji felt like spitting the old man and walk away but conscience got the better of him. His father if he could just see the whole mess, would be turning in his grave.
 
“I will not hand over my daughter to just anyone! Especially a Cloud.” Hiashi stated with finality.
 
“You are being foolish, Hiashi. Hinata has yet to say a word about it.” Turning his attention towards the quiet girl, “and if she realizes what is best for the clan and village, she would understand that my intentions are honorable.”
 
“Father!” growled the clan head.
 
“Enough.” the tension that emanated throughout the room was halted by the silent yet firm demand from a soft yet stern voice.
 
Finally deciding to make her stand in the whole mess in the Hyuuga family, Hinata turned to look straight into her grandfather's eyes. “I am well aware of your intentions Toshio- sama and I am also clear of the good that this union will bring.”
 
Toshio smiled a victorious smile where else Hiashi, Hanabi and Neji stared at her. Shocked at her exclamations.
 
“But rest assure, I have matured and learnt a lot over the years. Even if I do not show it, but life in these four years have taught me many things and one thing is to not be selfish. However, with that lesson also comes another lesson. Blind meekness will only bring further hurt and harm. So the point here is that regardless of you being my superior and grandfather, I will have to strongly object the union no matter how prosperous it may sound.” Hinata said firmly. Her eyes never wavering even for a second.
 
“ The moment I stepped out of this house four years ago, I have decided to pave my own fate. Thus, I will not let anyone, and I mean just about anyone, decide my life anymore.” said Hinata quietly. Her eyes stared straight into the eyes of the elderly man as if silently challenging him to rebuke her statement.
 
He took up her challenge.
 
“How insolent! Do you know what are you talking about, foolish girl.” Toshio flared at his granddaughter.
 
“Just as clear as you are, grandfather.” Hinata calmly replied.
 
“Hmph! I see that these years of absence have done you no good at all. You don't even realize your obligations that you hold towards your clan anymore.” huffed the old man angrily.
 
“My obligations are just as they were before my absence. It's just that now I have added my priorities in life and that is towards the safety of Konoha and my duty as a Royal. This here…” Hinata suddenly points towards her forehead where the seal was etched, “…is not an excuse of an undying duty towards the Hyuuga clan. This is a 7th degree seal and I think you very well know what I mean. ”
 
“ Do you really expect me to believe that absurd excuse of yours.” Toshio spat out. Hiashi as well as most of the elders clearly understood that the 7th seal had perished quite some time ago. It was a couple of generations before that the seal was abolished for some unknown reason and the matter was never brought up again.
 
Hinata slowly took of the wrappings around her forehead to reveal the seal. The seal was completely different from Neji's own mark of cagement. There on Hinata's forehead was an imprint of a round symbol that had seven dotes outlining the circle in which another small circler was etched.
 
The elders and Hiashi gasped at the sight of her seal. Indeed, that this was the first time that any of them had seen her cursed seal as for one, she had not attained the seal from any of them in the clan and for another reason was that, Hinata had never taken her bandages off for anyone before.
 
“The seventh divinity…How... Who..?” questioned Hiashi.
 
“This seal is documented in the Royal's archive of ninja clans treaty and official documents. I stumbled upon it in my research about some Hyuuga jutsu. Not to mention that I had a seal master to implant it. So, you can be rest assured that this seal is authentic.”
 
“Who is this seal master that you speak of. It must definitely not be a Hyuuga because this seal has extinct quite a few generations ago.” Hiashi asked. Part of him was intrigued to know who this so- called seal master was.
 
Carefully wrapping the seal again, Hinata said, “Gomen, Hiashi sama. I'm afraid that that is one information that I cannot impart with due to safety reasons.”
 
It was true. If people were to find out about who the seal master was, chaos would definitely be at hand. It was bad enough that the Akatsukis were after this person as well.
 
“Hmpph! Such arrogance and insolence. This child of yours is such a failure.” Exclaimed Toshio.
 
“That child of mine that you speak of is your grand daughter.” replied Hiashi sternly.
 
“If this is the type of granddaughter I have, I would rather have none.”
 
“Grandfather!” Hanabi glared.
 
Ignoring the whole ruckus, Hinata spoke to the clan head, “If that is all is needed of me tonight, please excuse me. It has been a rather long day for me. ”
 
Hiashi nodded his permission.
 
With that, Hinata quietly stood up from her seating, bowed to her father and sister and slowly walked out of the banquet room. Silently sliding the doors close, Hinata made her way to her room to settle in for the night.
 
Sighing to herself, Hinata changed into a pair of cotton pajamas and laid the white kimono that was worn to the gathering carefully on a chair. Climbing into her bed, Hinata was grateful for the warmth and peace of the enclosed room. Away from family, away from people. Here in this room, she was able herself. Wishing her mother a good night, she let herself be engulfed in deep slumber. Oblivious of all the stress of the clan.
 
TBC