Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Waking the Dead ❯ In the Present and the Past ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. Not gonna happen.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Chapter 3
 
In the Present and the Past
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
A cacophony of voices interrupting the constant hum of the forest's insect dwellers was what brought Sakura out of her slumber. She blinked her eyes a few times before they went wide when she realized it was just after dawn. She had missed her watch! Why hadn't Kakashi-sensei woken her up for her turn? Had something happened?
 
Panic ran through her system until two familiar voices floated up to her ears from the clearing below and she realized those voices had originally been what had woken her up. Sasuke and Kakashi were having some sort of disagreement. The kunoichi frowned as she peeked over the branch.
 
In the clearing, Sasuke was getting an earful about something from the older ninja. The Uchiha was pointedly looking away from his former sensei which was odd for Sasuke. He usually had no problems staring at the copy-nin. She blinked when she noticed he wasn't wearing his cloak and realized the extra warmth she felt in her comfort was Sasuke's cloak! She flushed. The morning was chilly - though the afternoon would be warm - and yet Sasuke had lent her his cloak in an uncharacteristically kind gesture. There he was, looking after her again as both he and Naruto (Sakura gulped painfully at the memories) had done those years before she had begun training with Tsunade-shishou.
 
Curious as to what Kakashi-sensei was saying to elicit no response from Sasuke, Sakura listened carefully before wishing she hadn't.
 
“You two were all wrapped up. It was really adorable, you know,” Kakashi was saying teasingly. Sakura turned pink, realizing both she had Sasuke must have fallen asleep in a compromising position. And - she flushed brighter - that was why their former sensei hadn't woken her up for her watch. “I didn't expect that kind of behavior from you of all people, Sasuke,” the copy-nin continued in an attempt to get Sasuke to say something.
 
Both Sakura and Kakashi knew that the aloof Sasuke had returned with the new day. Every year they hoped they could break away some of his cold exterior and every year they failed miserably. Sasuke was just too focused on blaming himself for the tragedy they had all suffered and nothing short of Naruto returning to life was going to change that. So Sakura and Kakashi would continue to stay by his side to show their support in the only way he would accept it. Sakura always hoped their support meant something to the Uchiha even if he never voiced it.
 
Instead of replying to Kakashi, Sasuke looked up and his eyes met Sakura's. She balked for a brief moment before dropping down from the branch. Kakashi blinked in slight surprise at the medic's sudden appearance. She pulled Sasuke's cloak off and handed it to its rightful owner. “Thank you, Sasuke-kun,” she said quietly. “You didn't have to do that. I know it's cold.”
 
The ANBU captain took the cloak and put it on in one smooth motion. “It's nothing.”
 
Sakura watched him for a moment longer, debating whether or not to say anything else when she remembered Kakashi. She turned on her former sensei with a glare that would have made Tsunade proud. “Don't say another word about last night and I won't tell Jiraiya-sama that you've been using the Sharingan to peek at his writing, sensei.”
 
Kakashi blanched under the mask. “Deal.” He frowned. “But how did you know, Sakura?”
 
She grinned at him. “I'm Tsunade-shishou's student,” was all she said. Kakashi shrugged acceptingly. It was a good enough answer for him. As it should be. The Sannin were legendary for a reason, after all.
 
“Sakura.”
 
The kunoichi turned at the sound of her name and almost lost her head as her pack came flying at her. Luckily her reflexes were up to the challenge this early in the morning so she saved herself some bruises to heal. She glowered at Sasuke as she pulled the bag over her shoulders.
 
“You didn't have to throw it at my face, Sasuke-kun.”
 
He ignored the comment. “Let's move. We can eat on the way.” He then jumped up into the threes and started moving.
 
Sakura looked over at Kakashi, who shrugged. The normal Sasuke from the past five years was indeed back in full force. They sighed and followed the ANBU captain's lead.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Gai watched as his former students - all jounin now - made their way to the front gate. They must have met on the way since all three were together. He couldn't help but feel pride for these Shinobi. Neji was a member of the elite ANBU while Lee and Ten-Ten both had genin of their own. Today they were going solo and Neji was without his mask - at least on his face; ANBU members always had their masks and robes with them just in case.
 
“Good morning, Gai-sensei!” Lee called out as the group came within hearing range. Gai grinned at his protégé. Despite the fact they were now on equal standing, Lee still called him `sensei'. It warmed his heart.
 
“Good morning Lee! Neji! Ten-Ten!” he greeted warmly.
 
“It's been a long time since the four of us have gone on a mission,” Ten-Ten said nostalgically. “It feels like old times.”
 
“For better and for worse,” muttered Neji. Ten-Ten nodded, eyeing Lee.
 
Neji's attitude, at least, seemed to have stayed the same since he had joined the ANBU Black Ops. Many Shinobi changed after spending time in the elite assassination squad of Konoha. Some of the missions became too much with the carnage they inevitably witnessed or even caused. It had even gotten to Kakashi those years before, though he had joined at a very young age, prodigy that he was - and still is, Gai corrected himself. The point being, he was glad Neji seemed to be coping with ANBU life. Not everyone could.
 
“Are we ready for the mission Tsunade-sama gave us?” Gai asked excitedly. “And to do it with youthful spirit?”
 
“Of course, Gai-sensei!” Lee agreed at once. He was practically bouncing with energy, as always.
 
Ten-Ten was slower and less enthusiastic in her agreement, but she nodded in turn. Neji sighed resignedly. Gai grinned. “That's the spirit! Now remember, we are to be backup for Team Sasuke. They don't need to know we are following.”
 
“Because Sasuke would love that,” Neji said with a roll of his opaque eyes.
 
“Quite right, Neji,” Gai agreed. “Remember what the Hokage said: this should be normal recon, but there is the possibility that Orochimaru is still alive.” A collective shudder ran through the group. No one wanted to think that the snake Sannin could still be among the living. But facts were facts and that was what a ninja ad to work with, and so often what kept him alive.
 
“Shall we move out then?” Gai asked, attempting to lighten the mood a bit. “The sun is rising and so should our youthful vigor!”
 
“Yes Gai-sensei!”
 
“Let's do this, then.”
 
“Right.”
 
And with that, the old Team Gai made their way to follow the trail of Sasuke's team, hoping that they would not be needed.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Sasuke studied the terrain as the group kept moving. They were still in dense forest and should be until around noon. They were avoiding the roads and paths most often taken as not to bring any attention to themselves. While traveling Shinobi was not a new site on those roads, they had decided didn't want any notice of their movements at all. If they kept at their current pace, they should reach their destination around midday tomorrow. It was a long trip, but they were traveling to one of Akatsuki's most remote hideouts, after all.
 
But Sasuke knew exactly where they were going. The place would be forever burned into his soul. It was the place his best friend had died in his arms to save him. It was also the place part of Sasuke had died with Naruto. It was a place he often visited in his nightmares and tried to forget during the day. He ground his teeth. It was cruel fate that was bringing him back to this place. Or perhaps punishment. If it was punishment, then Sasuke considered himself more than deserving.
 
Another thought was nagging in the back of the Uchiha's mind. Could Orochimaru really be alive? It shouldn't be possible. Sasuke had killed the snake personally - twice, actually. He couldn't really be back for a third try, could he? He shook his head. It didn't make sense. And even if the snake was still alive, why would he be leading a group of Sound ninja to an Akatsuki hideout; to that Akatsuki hideout.
 
All the known hideouts of the renegade group Itachi had belonged to had been thoroughly searched after the group's demise. There shouldn't be anything of interest in any of those godforsaken holes. Unless…
 
Sasuke stopped so suddenly that Sakura and Kakashi had jumped several branches ahead of him before they realized he wasn't in the lead anymore. They frowned curiously as they made their way back to the team leader.
 
“Something wrong, Sasuke-kun?” Sakura asked carefully, not knowing what kind of mood Sasuke would be in.
 
“They missed something.”
 
“What?” Sakura and Kakashi exchanged bemused expressions.
 
“When the villages searched the Akatsuki hideouts, they must have missed something,” Sasuke clarified. “That's the only reason the Sound could be interested in them.”
 
“The hideouts were searched meticulously,” Kakashi said slowly, “by groups from multiple villages. Nothing should have been missed, no matter how small.”
 
“Then why else would Orochimaru be interested?” Sasuke demanded, voice faltering only slightly at the snake's name. “Why take a large group of Sound ninja unless there was something there to be found?”
 
“Maybe whatever Orochimaru is looking for was already confiscated,” Sakura said reasonably. “He wouldn't know what was taken from the hideouts, after all.”
 
“That's not how Orochimaru works,” Sasuke argued and both his companions knew not to argue that point. Very few people knew the workings of the snake like Sasuke. “He would have checked it out on his own first before bringing a larger force.” The Uchiha closed his eyes a moment before opening them again. He was suddenly tired and it wasn't from the journey. “Besides, we thought Orochimaru was dead. If that bastard can come back from the dead twice, then something could still be there.”
 
“If you put it like that…” Kakashi said, tone completely businesslike.
 
“But what could interest him?” Sakura asked, looking back and forth between Sasuke and Kakashi.
 
“That's what we need to find out,” Sasuke said resolutely before taking to the trees again. He was so lost in his thoughts that he barely registered his teammates fall back in stride with his lead.
 
Orochimaru… if there is something in that hideout that you want, I'm going to do whatever it takes to make sure you don't get your hands on it.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Sasuke's team continued traveling into the night. They had stopped briefly for lunch right before losing the cover of the trees and once for a small evening meal. They were moving through open, albeit rocky, terrain and that was how it would remain until they reached the base they were supposed to scout out. A few hours after the evening meal, Sasuke called for a halt in an especially rocky area.
 
“Let's stop here for the night,” he said. “These rocks should give us good cover.” Sakura and Kakashi looked around and nodded their agreement.
 
Putting their packs down, the three Shinobi sat quietly for a few moments, considering their situation. The closer they moved to that place, the more Sasuke's hackles seemed to rise. He didn't know if it was just a negative reaction to the memories the place held for him or if it was something else. It was a feeling he couldn't quite shake.
 
Finally Kakashi spoke. “What is the plan for tomorrow?” he asked, deferring to Sasuke's higher position.
 
Sasuke knelt down and drew a rough outline of the area surrounding the hideout from memory. He had a good memory of the place, after all. Sakura and Kakashi gathered around the sketch.
 
“This is the basic terrain of the area, as you may remember.” His companions had been there that day and he was pretty sure they remembered just about as clearly as he did. “Our approach is going to vary depending on what we find when we get there.”
 
“If it is guarded?” Sakura asked, only business written on her features.
 
“Then we will use the rocky outcrops to our advantage,” the ANBU captain replied. “Our goal is not to engage but to survey. And that's what we will do.” Sasuke suddenly wished he had Neji or Hinata with him. Their Byakugan would be very handy in that case. He shook off the idea immediately. What would be handy was of no consequence. They had to focus on what was.
 
“And if it is deserted?” Kakashi prompted.
 
“Then we can be more aggressive in our search,” Sasuke replied matter-of-factly. “We will just have to be sure to have a guard in case some ninja try to sneak up on us. But either way, we need to do a quick but thorough job. The quicker we are in and out, the better.” Especially since I don't know how long I can stand to stay in that place.
 
Sakura and Kakashi nodded. “Anything else?” the copy-ninja asked and Sasuke shook his head in the negative. “Then I'll take the first watch.”
 
“I'll take the second,” Sakura volunteered immediately. Sasuke nodded and made his way to find a spot to rest in until his watch.
 
Not wanting to risk a fire in the open, foreign territory, the small group settled down for the night, each shivering against the cold of the night and the dark memory of the place they were moving toward.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Sasuke struggled vainly against the bonds that held him to the wall. Above he could hear the sounds of a battle raging but he was stuck below with little hope of escape on his own.
 
The sound of footsteps descending the stairs into the hastily constructed dungeon that Sasuke was being held in caused him to calm his struggles as he waited to see who his visitor could be in the middle of a battle. Red eyes so much like his own - and yet so different - stared back at him. There was an odd expression on Itachi's face.
 
“Konoha has some for you, Sasuke,” he said, no trace of emotion in his cold voice. Sasuke froze. His mind was working at a furious pace in an attempt to digest what his brother had said but said nothing in return. “Exactly according to plan,” the elder Uchiha continued when it became apparent Sasuke was not going to reply.
 
“Naruto.”
 
“He was at the forefront, demanding your release, little brother.”
 
Sasuke winced despite himself. This wasn't good. “So what are you going to do?”
 
“Nothing has changed. You're still the bait to bring the Kyuubi to me,” Itachi said in his cold monotone. Anger boiled underneath the younger Uchiha's surface.
 
“You haven't changed,” Sasuke spat at his brother. “You still only see people as tools in your sick games.”
 
“Is that so different from you?”
 
Sasuke felt as if he had been slapped. It was true. Since he was thirteen, he hadn't cared who he had stepped on in his quest for the power to defeat Itachi.
 
“It's a trait that seems to run in our family,” Itachi said darkly. Sasuke blinked in surprise at the sudden emotion from his normally stoic brother. “Father never cared for others, even his own sons, except in their use to the clan and the village.”
 
“So he had to die?”
 
“We've been over this, Sasuke. I did what I had to.”
 
“Right.”
 
“And now, I have a job to finish.” The door to Sasuke's cell opened and Itachi made his way to his brother's side. He unbound Sasuke from the wall but left his arms tied in front of him.
 
At one point, Sasuke would have tried to fight back, but several uses of Itachi's Tsukyomi attack and the continued efforts of Akatsuki trying to remove what remained of Orochimaru's soul from his body had left the younger Uchiha weak - too weak to fight a pull-powered Itachi.
 
The elder brother pushed the younger back into the hallway and up the stairs into the main cavern of the hideout. An intense battle was raging as ninja from Konoha were fighting the remaining Akatsuki members. A streak of orange crossed Sasuke's vision and he could only hope Naruto wouldn't notice his presence. No matter how much the blonde had improved in the previous years, he would never stand a chance against Itachi.
 
Sasuke shook his head. No, he told himself for what seemed like the millionth time, you have severed your ties with Team 7 and Konoha. This is not your concern. But somehow, deep down he didn't really believe it.
 
“Halt!” The command rang through the cavern. Sasuke recognized the voice as that of Pein, the Akatsuki leader. Both Konoha Shinobi and Akatsuki Shinobi immediately stopped their fights and slowly moved back to face each other. “Itachi,” the leader said, this time more quietly and the two Uchiha brothers slowly walked into the light of the cavern.
 
“Sasuke!” Naruto exclaimed at the sight of his best friend. Behind him, Sakura was looking at him fearfully while Kakashi had an unreadable expression on his face, made all the most mysterious by the jounin's ever-present mask.
 
Sasuke balked in that moment, seeing his old teammates. He knew that if he wanted to save their lives, he had to push them away, but something inside of him had been unable to sever those connections. At this rate, they'd all be killed.
 
“I propose an exchange,” Itachi said coolly. His voice was low but the cavern was completely silent so no one missed a word. It was all going according to his damn brother's plans. “Sasuke for Naruto.”
 
“No,” Kakashi said immediately. Sasuke felt a wave of gratitude toward his former sensei.
 
“Kakashi-sensei!” Naruto argued, “It's Sasuke!”
 
“Naruto, they'll kill you,” Sakura whispered.
 
“Sakura-chan…”
 
“Dobe,” Sasuke said suddenly, despite Itachi having told him not to say a word. Itachi's threat notwithstanding, Sasuke couldn't sit by and let his brother get his way. Again. “You shouldn't have come.”
 
“Sasuke…” Naruto whispered with a frown.
 
“I don't need to be rescued,” the younger Uchiha sneered, “especially by a dead-last loser like you.” Sasuke felt a sudden sharp blow to the back of his neck and everything went black.
 
When consciousness returned to him, Sasuke found he had been tied to the far wall of the cavern, his bound arms hanging over his head. His head was throbbing. Around him the battle had resumed.
 
Sakura was fighting alongside Hinata against the blue-haired kunoichi Konan. They were holding their own, much to Sasuke's surprise. Looking around, he couldn't find the tell-tale orange jumpsuit and panic struck him. Suddenly a familiar body was at his side.
 
“Sasuke,” Naruto said quietly as he reached for his friend's bonds.
 
“Naruto? What are you doing here?”
 
The blonde grinned roguishly at him. “I'm here to rescue you, of course.”
 
“Idiot!”
 
Naruto blinked as he cut the ropes binding Sasuke with his kunai. “Fancy way of saying thank you,” he said, recovering quickly.
 
“Dammit Naruto, you shouldn't have come.”
 
“I'm starting to get the idea that you're not happy to see me.”
 
“Bingo,” Sasuke hissed.
 
“But Akatsuki had you,” Naruto reasoned as he worked through the thick ropes. “Of course you needed help.”
 
“Naruto, you moron. They were using me as bait so you'd come!” Sasuke snapped. “They Kyuubi is the only tailed beast they have yet to obtain.”
 
“I know.”
 
Sasuke stiffened. “What?”
 
“I know it was a trap.” He grinned at Sasuke. “But I finally confirmed my suspicions. I knew you still cared. No one besides Sakura-chan and Kakashi-sensei believed me, but I knew.”
 
The last strands of Sasuke's bonds fell to the ground and the two stared at each other, the battle raging around them. “We'll fight together,” Naruto said. “And then we'll go home. Just like it's supposed to be.”
 
“You simpleton,” Sasuke growled as he dropped heavily to a knee. Naruto bent down next to him, concerned.
 
“Sasuke?”
 
“I'm in no condition to fight, dobe.” It killed him to admit it, but Naruto needed to hear the truth.
 
“Then we'll get Sakura-chan…”
 
“She's busy,” Sasuke hissed, looking over Naruto's shoulder at the third member of their old team. It was suddenly becoming harder for him to breathe and his vision was spinning. Something within him was stirring, reading to take advantage of Sasuke's weakness. “Orochimaru,” he gasped in realization. He could feel the snake's presence threatening to ooze into his very core.
 
“What?” Naruto asked, getting in front of Sasuke defensively. “I thought you killed him.”
 
Sasuke shook his head. “He attempted the body transfer when he was weak,” he wheezed. He could feel his consciousness beginning to ebb as Orochimaru's gained strength. “But he didn't count on me overcoming it. So he ended up in my body but dormant, like I would have been if he had taken over.” He gripped his arms around himself. He had to hold on. He couldn't let the snake take over. Not now.
 
“But he's trying to take control now?” Naruto asked, looking back at his friend.
 
Sasuke nodded. “Akatsuki has been trying to extract him from me like they would a bijuu. But this is different so they haven't been successful.” He shivered, trying to push Orochimaru back down, but the Sannin had been conserving power since his defeat and his host was weak. “But it's left me too weak to keep him down. Dammit.” His hand moved of its own accord and Sasuke gritted his teeth.
 
Naruto looked alarmed. “Sakura-chan! Kakashi-sensei!” he called urgently as Sasuke waged war within himself.
 
“Give it up, Sasuke-kun,” Orochimaru crooned from within the younger Uchiha.
 
“No.”
 
“You've lost.”
 
“No!”
 
Naruto watched on helplessly as Sasuke fought a battle of wills with Orochimaru. He had no idea what to do. But neither did Sasuke. All he knew was that he had to stay in control no matter what. His other hand moved to his belt and pulled out a kunai, not by Sasuke's doing.
 
“Dammit, no!” Sasuke could feel Orochimaru setting his sights on Sakura's exposed back several yards away. The Uchiha panicked but was losing control of more of his movements. Naruto saw where the kunai was going to go and reacted immediately. He grabbed Sasuke's arm and pulled the kunai from his grip.
 
“Fight it, Sasuke!”
 
“Naruto…”
 
“Come on, Sasuke. You're the strongest person I know! Don't let him win,” the blonde hissed encouragingly.
 
Orochimaru's presence retreated slightly before attacking Sasuke's weakened barriers more forcefully.
 
“Mine,” a voice that didn't belong to Sasuke said from his mouth. “Mine at last!”
 
Sasuke realized too late that Orochimaru had taken over his vocal cords.
 
“No!”
 
“This body; it's more than I could have hoped for!”
 
Sasuke saw Naruto's eyes widen in shock. He had realized what had happened. “No, Sasuke!”
 
“He's still in here fighting, Naruto-kun,” Orochimaru said in Sasuke's voice. “But not for long.” He grabbed Naruto's wrist and wrenched it off Sasuke's arm. The force caused Naruto to roll away several yards.
 
“Fight it Sasuke!”
 
It was all Sasuke could do to keep Orochimaru's consciousness from overtaking his own. He was so weak… everything was starting to fade and Orochimaru was laughing.
 
Time seemed to slow…
 
Itachi appeared above Naruto…
 
Naruto's eyes widened…
 
There was a sudden clarity within Sasuke as he realized what had to be done and he felt a renewed strength.
 
He pushed his consciousness to the forefront…
 
Itachi prepared to immobilize Naruto…
 
Sasuke jumped on top of Naruto as a shield…
 
Itachi paused. “You would protect him to the death, Sasuke?”
 
“Yes,” he said without hesitation. Naruto tensed under him.
 
“Even if it meant leaving our parents unavenged?”
“I think they would understand. Naruto is precious to me.”
 
“So be it, little brother.” Itachi plunged his kunai down towards Sasuke's unprotected back. Sasuke closed his eyes.
 
Sakura, Kakashi, please… protect Naruto.
 
Suddenly Sasuke found himself underneath Naruto. Big blue eyes burned into Sasuke's ebony and Sasuke realized too late what was happening.
 
Itachi's kunai plunged into Naruto's back in Sasuke's stead. Blue eyes widened in pain and Itachi cursed violently.
 
“Naruto!” Sakura cried from somewhere nearby.
 
Blood dripped out of Naruto's mouth onto Sasuke but he barely noticed. The blonde slumped onto Sasuke and the younger Uchiha grabbed a hold of his friend as a drowning person would grab onto a lifeline.
 
“Why?” Itachi asked, for once at a complete loss for words.
 
Naruto rolled onto his back to look at Sasuke's brother. “Because Sasuke is precious to me,” he said, voice barely above a whisper. “Like I told you in the forest that day, Sasuke is my brother and I'm a better brother than you ever were.”
 
Sasuke's breath was caught in his throat and he felt as though his heart might have stopped beating. He pulled himself out from under Naruto so he could hold his friend - no, brother - more easily. Blue eyes looked at him. Naruto was smiling weakly despite the obvious pain he was in.
 
“Don't look at me like that, Sasuke.” He coughed. “You were just about to do the same for me.”
 
“Why? Naruto…”
 
“Because you are my precious person,” Naruto said weakly. “I think I have a better understanding for Haku protecting Zabuza now.”
 
Itachi had vanished and Sakura was running to their side. She dropped to her knees and her medical chakra flowed through her hands. Sasuke watched hopefully but finally she shook her head, unable to meet Sasuke's eyes. Tears were streaming down her face as she entwined her fingers in Naruto's. Sasuke didn't realize he was crying either until a tear fell from his cheek onto Naruto's face.
 
“I've never seen you cry before, Sasuke,” Naruto said weakly.
 
“Dobe.”
 
“Don't worry about me. Akatsuki wants the Kyuubi, but if I die, so does he. This is for the best. They lose.”
 
“Naruto, no…” Sakura sobbed.
 
“For once you're crying for me instead of Sasuke,” Naruto said with a weak smile. He coughed and more blood dribbled onto his chin. “Thanks, Sakura-chan.” He turned back to Sasuke and slid something into his hand.
 
“Take care of her, Sasuke,” Naruto whispered. He closed his eyes a moment before opening them again. The vibrant blue was fading. “Kyuubi isn't happy. I'm glad.”
 
“You were supposed to become Hokage,” Sasuke said painfully.
 
“I told you,” he replied painfully, “a person who couldn't save his best friend isn't fit to be Hokage.”
 
“Dammit, this wasn't supposed to happen.”
 
“It's not your fault, Sasuke. I made my choice. I just…” he winced as breathing became more difficult, “wanted you to come home.”
 
“I will,” Sasuke said through his own tears.
 
Naruto smiled sadly. “Then I fulfilled my promise to Sakura-chan.”
 
The kunoichi sobbed. “Thank you,” she whispered.
 
“No.” He wheezed. “Thank you.” Sasuke could feel Naruto's body heat leaving him. The blonde was pale. “Thank you both for accepting me…”
 
Naruto's hand fell out of Sakura's and his body went limp in Sasuke's grip. The Uchiha didn't know what to do. This couldn't be real.
 
He felt his eyes pulsing with power; power he had never felt before. And yet, he knew it was his own. His heart was broken but the sheer power was intoxicating.
 
“He died,” Itachi said from behind them. “And Kyuubi along with him.”
 
“And it was my fault,” Sasuke whispered, hugging the limp form, “because I was arrogant enough to think I could push them away.” Head bowed, Sasuke put Naruto's body down. “Take care of him, Sakura.” She nodded mutely.
 
Sasuke pushed himself to his feet to face his brother. He looked up through the eyes of the Mangekyou Sharingan.
 
Sasuke jerked awake, his Sharingan flaring out of instinct. It deactivated as he recognized Sakura standing over him with a concerned look on her face. “Are you alright, Sasuke-kun?”
 
“Fine,” Sasuke replied. His voice was shakier than he would have liked. “Is it my watch?” His voice was stronger that time.
 
“You were dreaming about it again, weren't you?” she asked softly. She looked shaken. Had he called out in his sleep?
 
“I don't know what you're talking about,” he said coldly. He pushed himself to his feet. “Get some sleep.”
 
“You don't have to face this alone, you know,” Sakura said to his retreating back. Despite himself, Sasuke stopped. The kunoichi took that as a signal to continue. “You're not the only one who misses him, Sasuke-kun,” she said tearfully. Even though every instinct was screaming at him to leave, Sasuke inexplicably turned around. Despite the tears rolling down her cheeks, Sakura was looking at him with determination.
 
“Sakura…”
 
“I know you feel like it was your fault. But it wasn't. The only people to blame are Akatsuki for this. And they're dead. You avenged them Sasuke, both your clan and Naruto.”
 
Sasuke couldn't bear the thought of talking about this now, so close to the place where it had happened. He knew Sakura had every right to want to talk about it, but the Uchiha just couldn't handle it.
 
Not now. Not here.
 
So he walked away. “Get some sleep. We move out at dawn.”