Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Weapons of Old and New ❯ Nine ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Weapons of Old and New
Or, Not Another Super Naruto Story
(Really. It's Not.)
By Andrew J. Talon
Disclaimer: Oh, yeah. I SO own Naruto. That's why I have to bust my ass working at minimum wage to pay for college. Psh. Sure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sai had been tailing Uzumaki for nearly an hour, and the artist ninja was beginning to get the distinct impression that he was being lead in circles. Twice had the Kyuubi container paused a few milliseconds longer than strictly necessary, landing on a rooftop several dozen meters ahead of Sai. Danzo's agent felt an almost alien amount of respect well up in him. Few jounin could detect his presence at half this range, and clearly Uzumaki was aware he was being followed, even as the sun slipped behind the horizon.
 
Naruto vaulted over a billboard that was beginning to activate it's lights, and Sai followed scant seconds after-
 
WHUMP!
 
“Look: I'm really not in the mood to play chicken with yet another asshole with a grudge against me,” Uzumaki stated tiredly, as he held Sai on the roof with one kunai at his throat. The artist ninja felt respect grow in his chest at how easily Uzumaki had ambushed him.
 
“That is not my mission,” Sai responded calmly. Uzumaki raised an eyebrow.
 
“All right then… Why were you following me?”
 
“Merely to gauge your abilities, before making contact,” Sai replied. Uzumaki blinked, confused. Sai went on.
 
“I was ordered to extend an offer of recruitment for ANBU.” Naruto frowned.
 
“I'm not a jounin yet. Isn't that the bare minimum requirement?”
 
“Not for Section 6.” That got Naruto's attention, but it showed on his face for only an instant before an expression of disbelief replaced it.
 
“Section 6 was disbanded a long time ago. By the Third Hokage.”
 
“Officially. Unofficially, it has been reinstated.” Naruto glared.
 
“By who?”
 
“The head of ANBU. And a friend of Tusume Andoryuu.” Sai nodded to himself mentally. Danzo, naturally, had been right to mention that, as Naruto's countenance changed instantly. The hint of trust appeared in his eyes.
 
“So… You want me to, what? Join the Section?”
 
“Yes.” Naruto frowned.
 
“I'd, er…”
 
“You would, of course, remain part of a standard team. Team Seven, which I have also been assigned to.”
 
“How would that work though? Wouldn't our missions, like, clash?”
 
“No. The rest of Team Seven would serve as our cover for our true missions. It was a standard practice in the original Section Six.” Naruto frowned.
 
“You mean, we can't tell them?” Sai shrugged.
 
“That is the policy. It keeps them from interfering in our missions. Things they do not need to know.” Naruto crossed his arms, stepping back and allowing Sai to get back to his feet. The artist ninja did so, smoothly, minding his body language.
 
“Like what?” Naruto asked, skeptical. Sai allowed a slight smile to come on his face. No emotion was behind it, but then, it wasn't his emotions that needed to be used.
 
“Like retrieving Uchiha Sasuke,” the artist nin said. Naruto's eyes widened, just enough.
 
Mission accomplished, thought Sai.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Uchiha Itachi strode down the dark cavern tunnel, his high collar robe hiding the majority of his face. Not that he had a great deal to express, but the added intimidation was felt to aid Akatsuki members on their missions.
 
Itachi, honestly, didn't care. He was intimidating enough the moment someone heard his name. This, of course, was what the Akatsuki leader was probably counting on, in regards to this latest mission.
 
At length, Itachi reached a single, reinforced door, barred and shut with a variety of locks, mechanisms, and seals, he merely activated his Sharingan, and it opened. He stepped through into a small, crudely carved out cell. The sole occupant was leaning against the rock wall. He was covered in bruises, burns, slashes. His clothes were dirty and in tatters. Itachi knew well that this same prisoner had been deprived of food and water for days on end, during his month-long captivity.
 
So, it was slightly disconcerting to the elder Uchiha that the prisoner looked up at him, snorted, and smirked.
 
“Sent in the pretty boy, hm? Sorry kid, I don't swing that way.” Itachi resisted the urge to roll his eyes, merely staring impassively at the man.
 
“Your resistance ends here. As will your life,” Itachi stated. The old man shrugged.
 
“Yes, yes, that's what the rest of you walking curtains have said.” Itachi said nothing. The man looked at his features more closely, and recognition flashed in his eyes. Itachi expected fear, shock, horror, maybe even anger-He could have possibly murdered some of this old man's family, after all.
 
“Heh… Ha ha… Hoo hahahahaha…” The prisoner laughed. Itachi actually blinked.
 
“I rated the rogue Uchiha… Well, the first rogue Uchiha, anyway.” His smirk grew.
 
“By all means, go for it, kid.” Itachi activated his full Mangekyo Sharingan.
 
Tsukuyomi,” Itachi spoke, and the cavern was replaced by a monochrome world, with a red sky and full moon above. The prisoner did not seem perturbed.
 
“You will be stabbed by my katana for 72 hours,” Itachi stated, moving forward with the sword in hand. The prisoner nodded.
 
“I see. You know, I've seen this befo-AUGH!”
 
Itachi waited, and the old man was back again, whole. He was breathing heavily, but still smiling.
 
“Yeah, I think that I've seen this befo-AUGH!”
 
The old man was made whole again. He was breathing even more heavily, and still smiling. Itachi frowned behind his hood, but kept at it.
 
“The one thing, however, that makes this diff-OH GOD!”
 
And once more, Itachi waited.
 
“-rent, guh, from that experience, is-GAH! AUGH!”
 
Itachi waited again.
 
“That, ha, that genjutsu by the Sharinga-MOTHER FUCK!”
 
Itachi chose to cut the prisoner in half this time, and was rewarded with the old man already gasping for breath. Soon…
 
“Sharingan… Ha… Puts you… Into it… Too…”
 
A sharp, burning pain exploded in Itachi's stomach, as the world of Tsukuyomi vanished. The prisoner, breathing heavily but still smiling, had shoved a sharp rock into his belly.
 
“Damn. Missed,” the old man sighed, just before Itachi threw him against the wall of the cell with a single blow. The Uchiha turned and left, closing the door behind him, before allowing himself, for the first time in years, to shudder.
 
The pain was nothing Itachi couldn't take, but he had not once suffered injury since he unlocked the Mangekyo Sharingan. Added to this, the old man had somehow managed to strike him while in his genjutsu! Supposedly an impossible feat according to the Uchiha records he had read.
 
For the first time in his life, Uchiha Itachi, the slayer of the entire Uchiha Clan, the most powerful ninja on the continent… Was unsure of himself.
 
- - - - - - - - - - -
 
Just one more piece of the puzzle. Heh.
 
I am considering doing a “Casino Royle” style semi-song-fic opening for the next chapter, to Chris Cornell's “You Know My Name.” Tell me if you'd like to see it or not in your reviews! Until next time!