Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Weapons of Old and New ❯ Fifteen ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Weapons of Old and New
Or, Not Another Super Naruto Story
(Really. It's Not.)
By Andrew J. Talon
Disclaimer: Oh, yeah. I SO own Naruto. That's why I have to bust my ass working at minimum wage to pay for college. Psh. Sure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Doton: Yomi Numa!”
 
Naruto cursed and leapt back, as the ground he was previously standing on turned into sucking swamp. Rei held onto him, eagerly, which Naruto tried to ignore as he scanned the ridge above them. Two female figures sat there, one clearly just finishing the Earth jutsu. Naruto landed on a tall outcropping of rock that jutted out of the now swampy area.
 
“Guh!” Naruto muttered, as it began to shift in the slippery slime now surrounding them on all sides.
 
“Impressive,” Kakashi noted, clinging to one side of the same rock formation. “Looks like she's made this entire area into a five-foot deep swamp.” Naruto grimaced.
 
“Who was that, Rei?” The girl giggled.
 
“Oh, that's Yun-chan. Her specialty is in earth jutsus. This is her strongest one though, and it looks like she just used up most of her chakra doing it.” Rei sighed. “Unfortunately, Misa-chan's jutsus work well with Yun's.”
 
“How so?” Kakashi asked, before his eyes widened. Numerous figures of water rose around the pillar, all coalescing into the form of several Sound kunoichi wearing masks.
 
“It puts out enough chakra-charged water for Misa-chan to use her water jutsus more effectively,” Rei concluded, still smiling dreamily at Naruto. Naruto smirked.
 
“Well, too bad for her I can do the same thing, only better. Kage Bunshin no Jutsu!” Six additional Narutos popped into existence, before they all leapt away in a flash. A second later and half the water clones surrounding half of Team 7 were splashed out of existence, as the other half charged for the blond clones. Naruto gently pried Rei's hands off him, and produced a second clone.
 
“Give me a hand!” Naruto commanded his clone, and it complied, quickly forming a Rasengan. He spared a glance at Kakashi, who was just sitting there.
 
“Hey! Aren't you going to help me?!”
“When you need it, now go on,” Kakashi waved, smiling. Naruto growled, before his clone took hold of his Rasengan-free arm and began to swing him around.
 
“We're gonna have a talk about THIS!” Naruto shouted, as he opened a tiny hole in the front of his Rasengan at the apogee of his swing. The result was predictable-The vacuum within the spiraling sphere sucked air inside of it, pulling Naruto forward at extreme velocities. Naruto let the Rasengan expand in size, drawing in more air, before gritting his teeth in concentration and shoving it behind him.
 
KABOOM! The explosive release of the Rasengan propelled Naruto like a rocket burst, sending him flying into the surprised faces of the two Sound kunoichi observing the battle from at least twenty meters above and ahead of him.
 
CRASH! Naruto met both their masked visages with his fists, and all three tumbled in a mess of flailing limbs and screams down the other side of the ridge into a small gulley, landing in a heap atop several scraggly bushes. Naruto shook his head clear of the daze from the impact, and got to his feet in a fighting stance.
 
“Yun Orokite, Misa Hayami! Um… On behalf of the Hidden Village of the Leaf, I'd like to offer you sanctuary… Uh…” Naruto blinked. Both women were unconscious. He sweatdropped.
 
“Er… Well…”
 
“Good work Naruto. You've made our job a whole lot easier,” Kakashi noted from behind him. Naruto could easily make out the smirk behind his mask.
 
“Allright, hand over the camera,” Naruto growled. Kakashi blinked.
 
“I have no idea what you're talking about.”
 
“Hand over the camera you just used, or I'll tell Hiashi-sama you've been spying on Hinata when she's been in the hot springs,” Naruto said flatly. Kakashi froze… Before slowly handing it over.
 
“And the spare,” Naruto tapped his foot expectantly. Kakashi sighed, and handed over that one too.
 
“You're just no fun anymore, Naruto,” the grey-haired Copy Nin shook his head. Naruto snorted.
 
“No, you're just still a pervert,” the blond replied.
 
“NARUTO-KUN!” Rei squealed, seemingly appearing out of nowhere and glomping onto Naruto, who staggered and wrapped his arms around the girl to keep her from falling off.
 
“Rei-chan! Please! Stop that already!” Naruto pleaded. Rei fussed over his forehead, wiping away the dirt from his brow with a scrap of cloth.
 
“I'm sorry Naruto-kun, but I was so worried! Are you injured? Bleeding? Out of breath?” Naruto noted that Kakashi was grinning under his mask… And that his hands were resting on two firm, round, soft…
 
He immediately moved his hands up to Rei's waist and sighed as she continued to check for injuries.
 
“And you're not?” Kakashi teased, before walking past Naruto and tying up the other Sound nin, whistling a deceptively innocent tune. Naruto deathglared the back of Kakashi's head, before yelping and dropping Rei to the ground.
 
“Narruuutooo,” she pouted, crossing her arms across her chest. “Why do you have to be so meeeaaan?” Naruto grimaced.
 
“I'm not being mean! You're just molesting me!”
 
“But I want to,” she simpered in a seductive tone, slowly getting up and reaching for him. Naruto gulped, before turning around and running for it.
 
“NARUTO-CHAN! WAIT FOR ME!” Rei called, as Naruto ran pat a cackling Kakashi further down the gulley.
 
“Stop laughing Kakashi-sensei!” Naruto called back, as Rei continued her pursuit. Kakashi was only able to get his giggles under control enough to greet Sakura, who had just caught up.
 
“So… Looks like you guys took care of everything,” Sakura noted flatly. Kakashi shrugged.
 
“Check these two for injuries, you're far better at diagnostic jutsu than I am,” the copy-nin stated, getting up and stretching. Sakura nodded, and ran hands glowing with green chakra over both unconscious nin. She frowned, before pulling back the face mask of one.
 
“Sensei…?” Kakashi turned back, and blinked at the face of Misa Hayami. He crouched… Before pulling back the mask of Yun Otokite. Both of his eyes widened, as did Sakura's.
 
“Is… Is it my imagination… Or do they look very similar to-“
 
“No. It isn't. And they do.” Kakashi rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “Sai's ANBU team should be here soon. I'll go get Rei and Naruto… I'm sure she can offer some information on this… Occurance.” With that, Kakashi leapt off to catch up with his erstwhile student and his newest fan, leaving Sakura to cover the faces of the two former Sound kunoichi.
 
Faces that were identical to Rei's, and furthermore, identical to the deceased Kin Tsuchi's…
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“Confirmed. Targets have made contact,” Sai stated quietly into his radio. He was watching the gulley with binoculars, from a concealed crook by a boulder. His gaze shifted to a few ANBU now approaching the same area. He shoved both devices into his pack and set off, easily catching up with the masked ninja.
 
“They're over there!” He shouted, pointing at the gulley. The leader nodded in acknowledgement, and they continued, Sai keeping pace behind them. As per his orders, he'd gotten the ANBU to come to this spot. However, Danzo-sama's orders had been clear-Make sure the rest of Team Seven found the Sound missing nin first.
 
Sai didn't know why Danzo had given him these instructions, and he didn't ask. It wasn't his place. He was a tool, a weapon for Danzo-sama, and he was to defer to the ANBU head's orders above anyone else's. Even the Hokage's.
 
A small part of Sai wondered why Danzo-sama had made this stipulation, but Sai decided that if his commander and guardian wanted to tell him, Sai was confident he would be informed. Until then, he continued with his part in The Plan. Just as he always had.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
A somewhat anti-climatic end to the mission, but the story is only just beginning.
 
Next Time: The three Sound nin are brought back, and clues to their unusual appearance begin to appear. Meanwhile, Naruto gets the feeling he's being followed…