Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Welcome to my World ❯ The Basketball Game ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Sakura's P.O.V

Friday rolled around much faster than I had anticipated. The week with the boys had gone by fairly quick, and I almost felt like I completely belonged with them. Everyone was really nice, Kiba and Naruto were both hilarious. Neji and Sasuke were very obviously the group `leaders'. The only one I had a problem with was lazy butt Shikamaru. It's not that I had something personal against him, it was just the memory of what he'd done to Ino. All of her attempts to attract him had been completely wasted.

I was standing in front of my mirror right before the big game, wondering if I looked okay. My hair was down as always and I had on my favorite dangly earrings, plus I wore a green dress that brought out my eyes, and some comfy black flats. I smiled at myself. Ino would've been way proud.

The overhead clock struck 8:00; I grabbed my purse and hurried off. My mother smiled at me on my way out, she thought I was fairing with Ino's leave pretty well. In a way, I guess I was.

The streets were barely getting dark, but in this town the sun disappeared fast so I had to hurry. The school wasn't far so I got there just in time to catch a seat in the third row. To my surprise there were a lot of people there!

“Sakura's here!” I caught sight of a blond mess and smiled immediately. Naruto and I'd really hit it off; I waved my silver purse at him playfully.

Kiba and Neji both grinned at me. “Where're the other two?” I mouthed.

Kiba pointed at the players' bench where Shikamaru was snoozing comfortably. Then he shouted something about Sasuke that I didn't quite catch. I sat back thoughtfully. Oh well, I guess I'll see him soon anyways.

Before long the gym was completely filled with people; my guys were on fire from all the attention. Kiba and Naruto hooted at the audience and booed at the Sand team. After a couple of chaotic minutes everyone managed to get in position and the referee came out. He brought the whistle up to his lips.

*TWEEEET!!!!*

Each player on the court immediately went into action. It wasn't just fun and games, these guys were super determined!

Along with the audience, I leaned in with every close call. I couldn't bare to look away every time the Sands stole the ball, and whenever a Leaf took it back I jumped in my seat. The audience and I were completely captivated, so when the back door opened and let in the Autumn breeze from outside it took a while for the person who came in to register with me.

He wore a silver and green uniform like the rest of the Leafs, and the spikes in his hair were blowing in the sudden wind. The whistle was blown a couple of times and he switched with one of the current players on our team. Before long, Sasuke Uchiha was in the game.

*TWEET!!!*

It was almost the end, almost 9:00, and it was stomach-wrenchingly close. 18-19, Sand winning. I could see the Sand players going completely crazy, very aware of how much the last few minutes could ruin them. Each team was going all out, the determination in the boys' eyes was horrifying.

I clutched at my dress, Sasuke had the ball. Sasuke was a star in this game and the opposing team knew it. As soon as the ball was in his hands they charged at him like the game was their last hook on life.

“Oh my god…!!!” I whispered to myself as Sasuke blocked yet another attempted steal for the ball. I was practically standing along with everyone else as he neared the opposing net. Even Shikamaru, who was now in the game, opened his lazy eyes and focused.

“COME ON SASUKE!!” Naruto's shout echoed throughout the gym and brought a whole new burst of energy to everyone there. Before long each pair of legs on the court were moving, shouts and roars could be heard everywhere.

Sasuke reached the net. I found myself standing, jumping, screaming, “GO SASUKE!” Sasuke jumped with the ball, along with about four other Sand players trying to stop him. His long fingers let the ball go, my eyes followed it every millimeter that it sailed through the air. It finally reached the net, which seemed to swallow the ball up with a desperate thirst.

*TWEEEEET!!!!!*

“YES!! YESSSSSS! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! SASUKE!!!!”

Shouts and outbursts and even a stream of swearing came from the court as every Leaf player ran for Sasuke, embracing him and lifting him and giving him hard congratulatory pats on the back. Sasuke smirked victoriously, high-fiving his four close friends. The audience was on their feet, stomping and cheering yet never taking their eyes off of the winning player. So I'm sure everyone saw it when Sasuke turned his body towards me and spread his arms wide.

I froze on the spot, staring at him in amazement. His smirk widened, he was waiting for me. In a second I was off my seat and speeding down the last few steps of the bleachers; bewildered eyes around me were staring. When my foot touched the gym floor I sped off towards Sasuke, letting my arms spread apart wide.

“Sasuke, you won!” I was jumping through the air and into his arms, enveloping his neck. Sasuke's arms tightened around my back and lifted me off the floor. He spun me around in a circle, holding me tight. When he set me on the floor it took him a couple of seconds to let go, and then the whole team was around us once again.

The whole time I was smiling like there was no tomorrow, looking into the eyes of Kiba, Naruto, Shikamaru, Neji and Sasuke. It was completely amazing how it felt like I was a part of this victory, they included me in every hug and high-five and pat on the back. Could this really be true? Was it happening? Were they now my…friends?





Hi everyone: : ) I'd really appreciate it if you could leave a review and tell me how I'm doing so far! Thanks! - Sweettreat.