Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ White Knight? Ninja Actually ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still don't own them,
 
Chapter 2
 
 
Something had gone horrible wrong. He knew it instinctively even before his reports had stopped being answered. The fact that he had heard nothing for two years only confirmed it, something had happened to his Grandfather. He still sent his reports regularly as well as the letters for his family, Sasuke and Naruto in the hope someone find the delivery point but obviously no one had. And every time planned to leave and return home to find out what was going on there was an apocalypse alert. By now he wouldn't be surprised if he were listed as either dead or missing, neither option good. Maybe after this latest threat things would slow down enough for him to return home even if only briefly. Then again if something had happened to his Grandfather the new Hokage may cancel his mission and insist he remain in Konoha.
 
“Oi Whelp! Finished daydreaming yet?” He looked over to where the bleached vampire was sitting at the table, book open in front of him and fought a sigh. He didn't trust Spike but apparently his opinion didn't matter and as long as the vampire protected Dawn he wouldn't do anything. But if he ever did anything to endanger any of his friends he would dust him without hesitation. Frankly they needed all the help they could get against Glory and so he would be a good little ninja and put aside his personal feelings, for now.
 
------------------------------------
“What are you thinking about so hard brat?” Naruto looked up at his sensei and smiled.
 
“A friend.”
 
“Uchiha?” The aging man asked and to his surprise the teen shook his head in denial.
 
“Akira, the old mans older grandson. Just wondering where he is. We were writing each other letters but I haven't heard anything since…” The blonde looked up at his sensei.
“Do you know anything?” He asked hopefully and Jiraiya sighed.
 
“Sorry, haven't heard anything since he disappeared years ago. How do you know him?”
 
“Met him a few weeks before the mission to Wave Country. He wasn't around for long before he left but he was writing to Sasuke and me when he sent his reports in and the old man would send our replies. He was nice. Does he even know about his grandfathers death?” Naruto suddenly frowned at that thought.
 
“If you haven't heard from him since and no one's mentioned anything then probably not.”
 
“Then we'll have to find a way to contact him!”
 
------------------------------
Xander stared down into the crater that had been his home for nine years and couldn't make himself feel anything other than relief. Relief because now he could go home, if home was still there. He felt a pang of grief for the people who had died in there last ditch stand against the First and felt a single tear run down his face from his remaining eye. He tensed as a hand came to rest on his shoulder but smiled at the Watcher.
 
“Why didn't you dodge?” he threw the older man a confused look.
“The Council may not have had much information on Shinobi but I know you should have been able to dodge Caleb.” His blood turned to ice as the man he considered a favoured uncle spoke of his true profession. Giles gave him a sad smile.
“I've known since just before graduation, the clues were all there if you took the time to look. You were assigned to watch the Hellmouth weren't you? What will you do now?”
 
“I don't know. I haven't heard anything in four years for all I know my home has been wiped out due to war. But why didn't you say anything?”
 
“Everyone has their secrets Xander and if your hunting kept the numbers down and the rest of us safer…” Giles shrugged.
 
“Akira, my name is Sarutobi Akira. Chuunin of Konoha.” Giles smiled at the boy he saw as a son in many ways, happy that he had been trusted with his real name.
“Are you going to tell the others?”
 
“No, it's your decision. Honestly I don't think Buffy would take it all that well. But if you don't mind me asking, Willow has told me many stories of your early childhood together.”
 
“What, the fact that I could kick her ass? They don't need to know. Let them be happy thinking of me as Xander the Zeppo. As for the memories, extremely complicated genjutsu. I've always been good at them, part of the reason I was picked. I didn't come here until I was twelve. ”
 
“Stay Akira, please. Even if only for a while longer. We need you.” The young man looked into the eyes of his friend and then smiled.
 
“Okay.”
 
---------------------------
“You're leaving.” He tried not to flinch at the tired sounding voice in his doorway and nodded slowly as he continued to ready his pack.
 
“I'm sorry Giles but I have to.”
 
“I understand son.” The older man whispered before stepping forward and hugging the surprised ninja.
“If you ever need anything…”
 
“I know G-man, I know.” Akira smiled and hugged the Watcher back.
“The Council's up and running and you don't need me in Africa anymore. I need to go home but I will never forget any of you.”
 
“What will you tell the others?”
 
“That I'm finally giving in to their demands that I leave and live a normal life.” Giles snorted.
“Yeah well what they don't know can't hurt them, or me.” Akira shouldered his pack and shifted from foot to foot nervously.
 
“Will we ever see you again?” Giles finally asked sadly.
 
“Honestly? I don't know. It's been so long I might not even have the chance to make it to Konoha if I run into Anbu or the hunters. But I'll try to at least write sometimes, promise.”
 
“You'll be missed Akira. I hope you find what you need.” Giles stepped back and began to leave the room.
 
“Goodbye Giles.” Akira said softly.
 
“Goodbye…. Xander.” With that the head of the Watchers was gone.
 
----------------------------------
He flew through the trees, revelling in the feeling of the branches flying past him in a way he hadn't been able to in years. Gone were the baggy clothes and Hawaiian shirts, replaced by the standard Konoha chuunin uniform, his hitai-ate tied securely and keeping his hair out of his eyes. His eyes…one of two things that make him happy he accepted the Council assignment in Africa. He could feel a familiar stirring in the back of his mind and smiled slightly at the affectionate purr he could feel. She was the other reason he was glad he had accepted. Having a constant companion who he kept no secrets from was nice even if she didn't understand the more complicated aspects of human life. Since she had been brought back fully into his mind he had noticed that some of his abilities had been boosted. His senses were now probably equal to those of the Inuzuka clan and his stamina had jumped as well. He smiled, so much had happened since his last trip home and now he was almost there. He had crossed the border into Fire Country two hours ago and had yet to run into anyone, which was good, he wanted to get to the Hokage before being spotted.
 
Several hours later he slowed down to a slow jog, senses at full but so far he seemed to be alone and undetected. Of course he doubted that he'd sense a hunter or Anbu unless they wanted him too, even with his increased senses. There were too many ways to hide and ninja were by necessity experts. He could see the walls of Konoha now and smiled slightly at the thought of finally being home. But that thought fled as he dropped to the ground, instinctively dodging a thrown kunai. So much for sneaking in. Swallowing he rolled back to his feet and simply stood out in full view, hands raised. Three Anbu dropped to the ground, surrounding him. Akira forced himself to remain calm and didn't move, even as one stepped closer to study his hitia-ate.
 
“Identify yourself.” The Anbu barked, Akira frowned slightly; there was something familiar about the man.
 
“Sarutobi Akira, chuunin returning from a long term mission.” He answered as calmly as he could even though he could feel their shock as to his identity.
 
“Papers.” He slowly reached into his vest pocket and retrieved them, handing them over. He waited as they were checked over thoroughly, still puzzling over why the lead Anbu seemed familiar and then it hit him.
“These appear genuine but we'll take you to the Hokage to be sure.” Akira nodded in understanding, that was where he was planning to go anyway.
 
“Nice to see you again Hatake-san.” He breathed as the man moved closer to give his papers back. He could feel the others surprise but living on the Hellmouth had honed his abilities at identifying people by things other than there looks, glamour spells and shape shifting demons weren't uncommon after all. The Anbu studied him closely, still unsure and Akira sighed.
“I'm guessing something happened to Grandfather and that's why I've had no contact? No one's found his hiding spot yet have they?”
 
“Hiding spot?” Kakashi asked cautiously and Akira nodded as they started walking towards the village.
 
“Since no one else was meant to know where I was all my reports were sent to a spot only my Grandfather knew of for security. And the responses were sent from there. I haven't had any correspondence since three months after I left the last time. /from that I know something happened to him.” Akira looked straight at him, eyes silently begging for an answer and Kakashi felt bad for him.
 
“It's best if the Godaime explains.” Kakashi said and Akira nodded in understanding and with growing pain in his eyes. It didn't take a genius to work out that his Grandfather was dead.
 
------------------------------
“Hokage-sama this man was found approaching the village. He claims to be Sarutobi Akira.” The Anbu stated calmly.
 
“Aunt Tsunade?!” Akira's eyes widened in shock as he spotted the familiar figure behind the Hokage's desk.
“How? Who convinced you to come home?
 
“Aki?” Tsunade questioned as she moved out from behind the desk, her face showing her surprise at seeing the young man she had once known so well as a child. He gave her that familiar lopsided grin and she smiled, moving to hug him. No one else could give that smile, even under henge.
 
“Hey Aunt Tsunade.” He whispered, returning the hug, clinging almost desperately to his Grandfathers one-time student. They eventually parted and Tsunade took the time to study the young man before her. He was tall and well tanned from days in the sun, his brown hair in desperate need of a cut just like when he was a child. He had grown up into an attractive young man, someone his Grandfather and parent would have liked to see. But there were scars as well, the most notable being around his left eye but the eye itself was intact and unmarked which was odd. Seeing her look his hand moved automatically to cover his eye before falling to his side.
 
“Where have you been all this time?” She asked, stepping back behind her desk and pushing aside her feelings for the boy. There was no record of Akira for the last nine years and she was the Hokage, Konoha had to come first. He smiled sadly at her, understanding why she had pulled back before straightening to stand at attention.
 
“I was undertaking a S-ranked long-term mission on behalf of the Sandaime Hokage.” He answered formally, ignoring the shock coming from the Anbu. A twelve-year-old chuunin sent on an S-rank mission?
 
“S-rank?” She asked, there was no way her old sensei would send his own Grandson on such a mission, was there?
 
“I was the only real choice he could make and I agreed to go.”
 
“Mission records?” She asked and Akira walked over to her desk, fingers searching before he smiled and then a panel slid open, startling everyone.
 
“All in there unless he hid some somewhere else.” Tsunade picked up the papers and searched for the earliest, dated nine years ago. She read the mission briefing and then looked up at Akira in shock.
 
“He sent you on this?” She asked softly and he nodded, smiling softly.
 
“It wasn't that bad Aunt Tsunade.” He answered softly.
 
“Not that bad? He sent you, his own grandson, to the HELLMOUTH! How can you stand there and tell me it wasn't that bad!” The Anbu, all but forgotten, were very glad for their masks as jaws dropped in shock.
 
“The mission was a success, that particular Hellmouth is now permanently shut. There are now thousands of Slayers to patrol the rest of them. And I got to play at being a civilian teenager by day, superhero's sidekick at night.” Akira shrugged, he didn't know what the fuss was about honestly.
 
“Hospital now. I'm giving you a thorough physical.”
 
“Do I have to?” He cringed slightly at the thought of what she would find.
 
“Now!” She yelled and Akira bolted for the door.
 
“Yes ma'am.” He called as he ran for the hospital, his aunt hot on his heels.
 
-------------------------
“How did he die?” Tsunade looked up from where she was filling in his chart to see Akira staring at his hands. She sighed and put the folder down, moving to sit beside him.
 
“During the chuunin exams Sound and Sand attacked the village. The Otokage is Orochimaru.” She paused trying to find the words.
 
“He killed Grandfather, didn't he?” Akira looked up at her and she could see the pain in his eyes. For everyone else the wound was old but for him it was fresh.
 
“Sarutobi sacrificed his life to seal away Orochimaru's arms. He died protecting this village, the way he would have wanted to go.” Akira nodded.
 
“He asked me to stay for the exams but I turned him down. It would look suspicious if I was gone for so long… I should have stayed.”
 
“And done what? If you had been with him you would be dead too. You know that Aki, you would have been no match for Orochimaru even with your Grandfather.”
 
“I know.” She squeezed his hand and then picked up his file.
 
“Now, I want an explanation for every scar young man.” She ordered and he groaned.
 
TBC…