Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ White Knight? Ninja Actually ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
 
Chapter 3
 
Akira smiled as he finished putting the last of his clothes away. He'd managed to convince Tsunade that he was perfectly capable of living on his own, he was twenty one years old and a veteran of the Hellmouth after all, and so she had found him a small apartment. Of course all that had happened after she'd all but bitten his head of due to all the scars she had found. But that had been nowhere near as bad as learning all of what had happened since he had last been home. He couldn't believe Sasuke had followed his brothers' footsteps in betraying the village, in betraying his friends. He took a deep breath, pushing the memories of nine years ago away. At least Naruto was around, somewhere, he'd try to find him tomorrow and say hi. He hated to think how Naruto had taken Sasuke's defection; he'd seen through his letters exactly how much the young Uchiha meant to him, even if Naruto wasn't willing to admit it.
 
Akira sighed and shook himself from his thoughts. There was no point thinking about all that at the moment. Right now he needed to find some food before his stomach decided to eat the rest of his innards. He felt a purr of agreement and smiled as he grabbed his wallet and slipped his sandals on. Time to find some dinner.
 
----------------------------
Naruto stopped and watched the older man walking down the street. Dressed in the normal chuunin uniform he didn't stand out but to the blonde it was like seeing a ghost. It couldn't be, could it? He took a step towards the approaching figure, catching his eye. A warm, lopsided grin greeted him and Naruto grinned.
 
“Akira!” He yelled, running towards the old mans' grandson. Akira opened his arms, pulling Naruto into a warm hug.
 
“Hey kid.” Akira greeted him, ignoring the people around them staring.
 
“You're alive!”
 
“Last time I checked. I'm sorry Naruto, with Grandfathers death no one knew where my reports went and I had no news.” Akira told him and Naruto nodded.
 
“I figured out you probably didn't know. Ero-sennin and I were trying to figure out a way to contact you but we couldn't.”
 
“Ero-sennin?” Akira asked as they began walking.
 
“Jiryia, the toad sannin. He took me on a three year training trip.” Akira groaned.
 
“Please don't tell me you've picked up any of his `habits'.”
 
“Ewww.”
 
“Good to hear.” Akira grinned down at him.
“Care to join me for dinner, my treat? I only just got back and haven't bought any food yet.” Naruto grinned and nodded.
“Then lead on.”
 
----------------------------
“How did you know?” Akira smiled; he'd been expecting this visit.
 
“You might as well come in.” He offered and Kakashi slipped down off his windowsill and into the apartment.
 
“I knew because of a lot of things. All dealing with the mission I've spent the last nine years on. Lets just say there are ways to imitate another that are better than henge and so learning to tell another's identity through every available clue became necessary. We couldn't afford to be infiltrated though it did happen a few times.” Akira shrugged.
“It's not like I'll tell anyone.”
 
“Thanks. A lot of shinobi know I went back to Anbu anyway but.” Kakashi shrugged and Akira nodded.
 
“You know what happened wasn't your fault don't you?” Kakashi blinked in surprise. What?
“Aunt Tsunade and Naruto both told me what happened. His betrayal wasn't your fault.” Akira clarified.
 
“I don't blame myself.”
 
“Yes you do. You keep wondering if you had done things differently, seen just how desperate he was for power then maybe you could have stopped him.”
 
“How…”
 
“I've seen the look before. Thing is, no matter what you did or didn't do it was still his choice. He chose to leave Konoha of his own free will; no one else is to blame except a certain sannin. Though if I see Sasuke any time he will be getting the lecture of the century.” Kakashi left the way he had come in, a little unnerved at how Akira seemed able to read him so easily. Just what had the younger man been through the last nine years?
 
--------------------------------
Tsunade smiled as she saw the figure standing beneath the mountain, staring up at the carved faces, one in particular. She'd had a feeling she'd find him here.
 
“Need something Aunt?” She blinked, how had he known it was her? Then again she might be better off not knowing.
 
“How are you doing?” She asked. He'd been back in the village nearly a week now and as much as she hated to do so she needed him on missions.
 
“Ready to do my job if that's what you're wondering, though I may be a bit rusty.”
 
“Your Uncle seems to think otherwise.”
 
“He's just sore I kicked his arse.” Akira chuckled and Tsunade smiled.
 
“You really okay Aki?” She stood beside him and he turned to face him.
 
“I'm dealing. It hurts but it wasn't a huge shock, part of me knew once my reports and letters started to not be answered. I miss him and I always will but I've stopped apocalypses while grieving, it won't affect my work.”
 
“Very well. Here's your first mission.” She handed him a scroll and he nodded before heading back to his apartment.
“Aki!” He turned back.
“Good luck!” He grinned and waved.
 
TBC…
Short I know but it's a bit of a filler, just showing him getting settled back in. And no, we haven't seen the last of the Scoobies though they will be gone for a while.