Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Who knew... ❯ 1. OF RAINDROPS AND DINNERS AND UNLIKELY EVENTS. ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

1. OF RAINDROPS AND DINNERS AND UNLIKELY EVENTS.
 
The sky was rumbling, and the already dark clouds were turning even darker, torn every now and then by lightning. The heavy raindrops were falling hard on everything, treading the grass in the gardens and the fields of Konoha. The wind was shaking the trees so hard that she was afraid they might have crashed down on her. The guards at the gate were cursing their ultimate bad luck; of course, nobody would have liked staying right in the middle of such a storm, but after all, who were they to disobey to the Third's will? Just cursing was seemingly enough to them.
 
The girl understood them perfectly…after all she was caught in the very same bloody storm, even if she was luckier than the poor guards. Soon she would have entered Konoha, and the thought of her warm home and a warmer bath were the only things that kept her from joining the cursing guards. The mission had dried her of any chakra as well as stamina and whichever kind of energy, and she was quite surprised that her feet didn't fail her but kept on moving, leading her closer and closer to home. Home. On second thought, the storm and the mission were not that bad. The large Yoshizumi mansion wasn't exactly what she loved to call a home, but she kept on calling it that, refusing to break the bond that tied her and her home to the reminiscences of a past in which, she believed it, it had really been a warm place, and she had laughed and been happy and thought that nothing would have ever changed.
 
“State your name, your home village and business in Konoha!” said one of the guards, regaining control of the situation and using the most professional voice he could master at the moment. Oh, so they had finally noticed.
 
“Koichi-san, you mean you really don't recognize me? I've been away for just a couple of days and my village has already forgotten me…now, this is not the kind of welcome I was expecting.” the girl replied, a fake offended expression on her face.
 
The guard stared for a couple of seconds at the girl, quite tall for her age, hidden under a navy blue rain-coat and a strawberry-like umbrella.
 
“Asuka-sama! I beg your pardon, I… I mean, the rain is thick, I didn't see…I couldn't recognize…I apologise…” “no need to apologise…I understand it must not be pleasant being stuck here in the rain. Well, if you don't mind, I'm really tired, and all I want is just go home” Asuka replied smiling, waving at the wards and entering her beloved village. `Everything is where I left it…Konoha never changes.' She thought taking a look around. The rain kept on falling, and she really wasn't in the mood for reporting the mission to the Hokage. `I am growing more and more similar to Kakashi-sempai…I wouldn't be surprised if I began being late and inventing lame excuses…Kakashi-sempai…I'm looking forward to see him. I didn't even have the chance to see him before I left…guess he was on a mission…Kakashi-sempai is a wonderful shinobi if one doesn't mind his lack of discipline…he's a lazy ass…and always reads these perverted books of his. But still…he's super-cute! That mysterious mask of his…and how his grey hair is always messy…wait. Is his hair grey or white?'. Suddenly a loud sob made her come back to reality. `A sob? Nah, I just misheard.' But again, a louder sob was heard. `Again?' Asuka stopped in the middle of the street and tried to focus on the sob. `It looks like a child crying…but I may be wrong. Yeah, I'm just tired and..' “Sniff..” `No no, someone is definitely crying.'. The kunoichi began looking for the source of the sobs; the street was empty, but there was a little dark roof which deserved to be checked…after all, if you were crying in the middle of a tempest, you would look for something to cover you, no?
 
And in fact, there he was. The little crying bundle was soaking wet, and shaking both for the cold and the loud cry he was giving. “Calm down, little one…what's wrong? Shh..” Asuka tried to calm the child down, but the little boy didn't stop. He had dark, raven hair, sticking to his forehead because of the rain, and he was of an extremely white complexion. “Sa..Sasuke-chan?” the little boy lifted his head “Asuka-neechan, is that you?” the girl removed the hood of her coat and looked into the boy's red eyes (no Sharingan yet! Poor Sasuke-kun…sooo cute!!!) “Yes Sasuke-chan it's me…my, my, what are you doing here? Aren't you cold? C'mon, I'm taking you home” she said taking off her coat and using it to cover the boy who seemed very cold; she then lifted the boy and embraced him. “NO! No, please, nee-chan I don't want to go home! I can't!” cried little Sasuke holding the older girl tighter. “Shh...shh…ne, what about we head to your home and you tell me what's wrong? Did you do something to Itachi-san? Just tell me, and we'll try to fix it together, uh?” she stroked the boy's wet hair lightly…Sasuke seemed lost in his thought, trying to figure out whether it was a good choice to confess his misdeeds to Asuka-neechan; eventually, he nodded and sniffed, not letting go of the firm grip he had around his “nee-chan”'s neck.
 
She smiled and put a hand in the coat pocket; then, she handed him a handkerchief and a strawberry candy. “But nee-chan, I don't like sweets! I'm not a little boy!” the child protested “I know Sasuke-chan, but it's not like we can go around and look for tomatoes, now, can we?” the boy seemed disappointed, but put the candy in his tiny mouth and began chewing. “It's not that bad, Sasuke-chan, is it?” Asuka said poking him in the forehead. “Y..you poked me! You are just like Itachi-niisan…” “Oh, am I? Sasuke, quit changing the subject, and tell me what you did” the older girl told him. It was quite difficult to hold the child and the umbrella at the same time, but Sasuke just didn't seem willing to let go of her neck.
 
“I… well, nii-san was training, this morning, so I went into his bedroom, and tried to take that book he always writes on and that he hides on the top of the bookshelf, but see, it was too high for me, not that I am small but I just couldn't reach it so...sniff…I put a chair under it but still it was too high…so…sniff…I tried to…climb the bookshelf but then the chair fell…and and I had nothing under my feet…and suddenly the bookshelf moved…it..it just moved and…” “And let me guess, it fell? But Sasuke-chan, you know that you could have injured yourself badly? You are lucky that you don't even have scratches on you.” “I…I know…but then I found the book…and I opened it…nii-san's writing is very nice, you know, I wish I wrote like him, but perhaps if I write a lot like he does I will write as good, too…but I was able just to read a couple of lines…there was a date, a couple of weeks ago, and then he wrote that he was training with Shisui and but that he couldn't stay focused on the training because of a thought that kept on crossing his mind...and he wrote that it was not like him, and that it was all `the girl's fault', but I couldn't read anymore because then he came and saw me with the book and…and…he was very angry...and…he didn't…didn't even speak to me…he just looked angry, and disappointed…and he grabbed the book…and then I ran, I ran and I wandered and thought and cried until you…sniff…you found me…oh, nee-chan, I'm a monster! I disappointed nii-san, I don't deserve to be his brother! He was so angry!”
 
Asuka stopped walking and looked at the little boy, who was on the verge of crying again, and hushed him. “Well…Sasuke-chan, you did something bad to your nii-san…I suppose that the book was his diary…and people should never read somebody's diary, it is rude and… also, you kinda risked getting badly hurt when the bookshelf fell...but why did you do that? You are such a good little boy” the kunoichi had started to walk again, the child still in her arms. “A…a diary? What is a diary, nee-chan? I just wanted to know what that book was, because nii-san seems to care about it a lot, and I thought it was a book on jutsus, so that I could learn a few and show him and father...and…sniff… they would have been proud of me…”
 
The girl was a little taken aback by Sasuke's words. `He really must care for his brother and father recognition and affection, if he tries this hard to please them…from a certain point of view, it is very sweet that Sasuke tried to gain his brother and father's attention' she thought…“A diary, Sasuke-chan, is a book in which you write what happened to you that day, what your thoughts, your worries, your hopes are…it is very personal, and I understand your brother…if I had caught somebody reading my diary, I would have been angry too, because in diaries are written things that you do not want other people to know, but that you need to…confess, somehow. If you read someone's diary it's like reading the heart, the mind and the soul of this someone.”
 
“I…I didn't mean to...to spy nii-san…I was just curious…I didn't mean to…” tears filled the boy's eyes. Asuka didn't know what to do to calm him anymore, and they were almost arrived at the Uchiha mansion, too. “Sasuke-chan, no…don't cry…didn't I told you that I hate to see my super-cute Sasuke cry? Mm? And then you have nothing to worry about. Your nii-san, I am sure, is not mad at you anymore. I suppose that he's worried, as well as your mother and father…and then, if you tell him that you are sorry and that you won't do it again, I'm sure he will forgive you. And if you want, I may talk to your brother and your mother, too…ok? We are going to fix it, so stop crying and show me one of your beautiful smiles!” she said in a calm, sweet voice. Sasuke seemed relieved by Asuka's words, and rubbing his red eyes with tiny hands, he managed to smile to the older girl he was so fond of.
 
Asuka didn't remember when she had become Sasuke's “nee-chan” …she just remember that one day she found the child, who was 4 at the time, sitting on a swing at the park on his own, looking quite sad. To cheer him up she bought him an ice cream, but when she handed it to little Sasuke he just stared a few seconds at her and then at the ice cream. “I don't like sweets. Tomatoes are much better” but still, he grabbed the vanilla ice cream and began licking it. After introduction, and when the ice cream was “vanished”, the child looked at Asuka and asked her “do you want to play ninjas with me?”…after that sunny afternoon they happened to meet several times, and Sasuke seemed to enjoy the company of the older girl. He often told her about the academy, his training, his brother, about the cool jutsus Itachi had mastered, about the forehead poking, and about his rivalry whit nii-san to gain his father's attention. By the way Sasuke told her about Itachi, Asuka couldn't clearly understand whether it was love or hate that shone in the eyes of the boy. Perhaps a mixture of both…but that didn't seem important, at the time.
 
The wind was blowing harder, and the rain was still as thick as before, if not more. Asuka was grateful when they entered the Uchiha district, because Sasuke-chan had begun sneezing and sniffing, and his cheeks were quite flushed. As they entered, Sasuke wanted to walk on his own, because “I'm an Uchiha, I can't let brother or father see me carried like a little baby”. The path was as empty as the street, and the only light was the one coming from the windows. Asuka had been to the Uchiha mansion before, but still it seemed very severe and traditional place, and the feeling of coldness she had felt the first time she had entered it didn't abandon her. Eventually Sasuke approached a door and moved to open it; the little boy turned to his older friend and grabbed her hand, looking for help. The girl smiled and followed the child as he entered.
 
Immediately quick footsteps were heard, and a woman's voice was heard calling the child's name. “Sasuke-chan, Sasuke-chan, oh my god, you are home…where have you been? We've been looking the whole day for you…we were so worried…Itachi-kun is still out looking for you…please, please don't do that again! We were so worried!” exclaimed Sasuke's mother hugging the little boy. “Kaa-san! I'm so sorry! I swear I won't do it again…I… I was so afraid that nii-san and you were mad at me…I … I didn't mean to worry or upset you…besides, Asuka-neechan here found me, and she brought me home...” Sasuke explained to his mother. Asuka didn't really know what to do, so she just greeted politely Sasuke's mother “Good evening, Mikoto-san. I guess that now that Sasuke is safe and sound, my presence is no more needed…oh, I guess he caught a light cold, he was soaking wet when I found him” and then, kneeling down to watch Sasuke in the eyes, she told him smiling “see, Sasuke-chan? No need to be worried, we fixed it all!” Sasuke nodded smiling and hugged the girl “Arigato nee-chan! Really!”. Asuka was then about to greet Sasuke's mother and leave, when the woman, who had stood in silence while the two were talking…hugged the girl tight “Arigato Asuka-chan! I don't know what I would have done without you! Please, stay for dinner, would you?” the young girl's cheeks were lightly pink; she wasn't used to so much affection, and didn't really know how to behave. “I…well, I am coming home from a mission so I would like to go home and…” Mikoto insisted, still smiling and hugging her little boy “Please Asuka-chan, I would be very pleased if you did stay. Besides, the storm outside is said to be getting worse, I wouldn't like to know that you're out in the rain. So let me call your mother and tell her that you are to stay at ours until the weather is not this awful. I'll ask Itachi-kun to walk you home later.” Sasuke's mother didn't let the girl time to answer; she had already grabbed the phone and was dialling the Yoshizumi. After a couple of seconds to give the message to a maid (apparently Asuka's parents were not at home), the woman smiled to Asuka, and told her that if she wanted to take a bath there was no problem at all. The girl was really glad of it, after all it was since the bloody morning that she was walking in the damned rain, and hot water was all she desired at the moment. Asuka followed Mikoto to a small bathroom; the house was really tidy and clean, and smelled a little bit like incense. “There you go, Asuka-chan.” Mikoto said handing the girl a few towels “I will be in the other bathroom helping Sasuke. He really needs a bath, and the steam will do him some good for that cold” “Arigato, Mikoto-san” replied Asuka politely. The woman smiled and closed the door behind her.
 
Taking her wet clothes off, and opening the water to fill the bathtub, Asuka began brushing her waist long dark hair, now freed of the high ponytail in which she had them tied that morning. They were usually dark brown, but now that they were wet they looked black. Entering the bathtub she tried to recall where her parents may be… `I didn't remember that they were supposed to leave…oh yes! They went to Suna to speak with the Kazekage about…about…something dealing with daimyos…bah. Oh kami, look where I am. I would have never imagine that I would have bathed at the Uchiha's…I really don't know how to act, I'm really extra ashamed. Oh no! being there for dinner means that…that I'll have to see that Itachi…it's not that I don't like him, actually I never spoke to him more than a few words, it's just that he is so polite and formal' while drying her hair she considered escaping from the window, but that wasn't very likely to happen. Mikoto-san had given her some boy clothes to replace her wet ones, and she figured that they belonged to the older Uchiha brother. `They are total black fans, it seems. Sasuke-chan is always dressing with black clothes…it makes look the Uchiha trademark pale skin even paler…' she put the long sleeved t-shirt and the pants on, and adjusted the large collar of the shirt so that it wouldn't bother her. Yes, definitely not her size, Asuka thought contemplating her figure in front of the mirror. She let her hair free, and "blocked” the fringe with a couple of coloured hairpins.
 
The Uchiha's corridors were really a maze, she thought. `I should have paid more attention when Mikoto-san showed me the bathroom.' Luckily, Sasuke-chan ran into her screaming “Nee-chan! Nee-chan! See? See? I'm all better now…I almost don't sneeze anymore! …sniff…” she smiled, relieved that the boy was fine, and told him “This is great, Sasuke-chan! So, will you help me get to the kitchen? I got quite lost…” “Sure nee-chan! Come on, this way” Sasuke grabbed the older girl's hand and started walking towards the kitchen.
 
Once they were there, she noticed that the storm outside wasn't getting any better. `Oh, wonderful…who knows when I'll be able to go home…not that I mind staying with Sasuke-chan, it's just that I planned to spend a little time for me before training and leaving for another mission.'. Mikoto-san was all busy with pots, vegetables of all kinds and meat. “May I help, Mikoto-san?” Asuka offered. “Oh, well, yes…would you mind setting the table? The dishes and all are in that shelf over there…yes, that one.” The girl began disposing the dishes on the table; Sasuke was just sitting, with his head resting on the table, and was looking at his mom and his friend chatting about various subjects. “It's very nice to have you here Asuka-chan, I don't have much company when I cook. Except for Sasuke-chan, of course” she added when she noticed Sasuke's disappointed look. “I always keep you company when you are cooking, mom! It's Itachi-nii-san the one disappearing in his bedroom to write in that book of his…” it was then that Mikoto realized that one of her sons was still missing “oh my god! Itachi-kun! Why isn't he back yet? Did something happen to him?” she put down the spoon she was holding, and began talking about asking someone to go looking for her Itachi-kun, that in spite of being one of the most feared shinobis ever was just thirteen after all, which reminds me, Asuka, you are his same age, aren't you? She was definitely hyper-worried, and Asuka had no idea how to calm her down. “Kaa-san, don't worry, Itachi is veeery strong, even if there is some enemy ninja who sneaked into the village to kill the Hokage and steal forbidden scrolls Itachi will defeat him, even if the other is the most powerful shinobi out of Konoha, even if he has unknown powers and jutsus that are even cooler than nii-san's, which is very unlikely, well, then Itachi-niisan is going to take a bit longer perhaps, but even if wounded he has the Sharingan and he will defeat his opponent. So, kaa-san, please, do not worry for nii-san”. Sasuke's attempt to calm his mother seemed to produce the opposite effect, but (`thank you Kami-sama') in that very moment the door opened to reveal a wet, wet, wet Uchiha Itachi.
 
“Ototo, so you're here. I've been looking everywhere for you.” Sasuke ran towards his aniki. “Nii-san! Nii-san please forgive me! I've been a bad boy, but now Asuka-neechan explained me that what I did was wrong and I promise I won't do it anymore!” Itachi looked the child who was now pulling at his black shirt. “Asuka-chan?” he questioned, but Sasuke didn't seem to hear, or to mind. After all, not knowing if Aniki was angry was the most important thing on earth, wasn't it. “Please, nii-san! Don't be mad at me!” at that, Itachi's expression softened, and he lifted that cutest little brother of his, whose watery eyes seemed those of a puppy. “And who told you that I was mad at you, you silly thing?” Sasuke's eyes widened. “Demo! Demo! You looked very, very angry this morning when you found me…I was afraid…I was afraid that you didn't like me anymore, and that you wouldn't have wanted me as Ototo…” Itachi poked Sasuke in the forehead. “I was just worried. Now, Sasuke, be a good boy and stop worrying. You already understood that what you did is wrong, and as long as you promise you won't do it again, I have no reason to be mad at you.” Sasuke seemed the happier little boy on earth. Aniki wasn't angry! He didn't plan to ignore him, he could still be aniki's little brother! Oh, how good and kind his aniki was. Were all older brothers like his? Sasuke really doubted it.
 
“Hello, Itachi-san.” Asuka greeted. Itachi nodded and greeted her “Good evening, Asuka-chan. I suppose it's you who found Sasuke. Thank you” “oh, you're welcome…I mean…” `dammit! Why do I always stutter around him! I don't even stutter around Kakashi-sempai…he'll think that I'm a total loser…but in the end, who cares, it's not like I care about Itachi-san's opinion'. Itachi nodded again and after greeting his mother headed toward the bathroom. “And by the way, Asuka-chan…it's just Itachi.”. “Ha…hai…” And after that, he closed the kitchen's door.
 
Asuka was, for lack of a better word, astonished. `It's just Itachi…who the hell does he think he is? It's just Itachi…who does he think *I* am? One of his crazed fan girls?' Asuka angry thoughts were interrupted by Sasuke's voice. “Ne…nee-chan…why are you blushing? Your cheeks are red, you know.” Blush? Who? Who is blushing? At this Sasuke put on a smart expression, and a look that seemed saying I-know-what-you-hide. “Asuka-neechan! Itachi-niisan spoke to you and you blushed…that means just one thing…” Asuka suddenly regained the will to speak. “Oh, really? What does it mean, Sasuke-chan?” Mikoto was looking at the scene, quite amused. “Yes, Sasuke, sweetheart, what does it mean?”. “Kaa-san, it's obvious! Asuka-neechan loves nii-san!” Asuka's eyes widened…her heart skipped a beat…her eyes then closed to tiny flaming lines…'he's just a child, Asuka…he's just a child…' “Come here Sasuke-chan! You'll pay for this!!!” she exclaimed with an evil grin. Sasuke chuckled and then began to run around the table, followed by the older girl trying to get him.
 
**** a few minutes later****
 
“Sasuke chan, why don't you call Itachi-kun? Dinner's ready!” said Mikoto, putting a couple of rice cups on the table. “Kaa-san, shouldn't we wait for father to come home?” Mikoto shook her head and replied “No, Sasuke-chan, your father is on a mission, and he won't be home before tomorrow evening”.
 
“Uh…ok, then. ITAAAAACHIIIII NIIISAAAAAN!!!” Sasuke shouted. “Sasuke! I wanted you to go to his room and ask him! It didn't mean for you to scream at the top of your lungs and deafen us!” “Gomennasai kaa-san…Asuka-chan, will you accompany me?” Sasuke asked holding Asuka's bigger hand in his tiny one. “Of course, Sasuke, as long as you don't start again with that thing about me liking your nii-san.” “Oh, if you are blind and don't want to see then it's none of my business” Sasuke replied, looking like a wise-man talking to his disciple.
 
They walked the corridor taking to Itachi's bedroom. “Itachi, may I come in? Mikoto-san says dinner is ready” Asuka knocked lightly on the door, and Sasuke opened the door without waiting Itachi's reply.
Itachi was sitting on his bed and writing in a small book…but what Asuka noticed was that he was doing it…with just his pants on. “Sasuke, you should wait for a reply, before opening somebody's door” Itachi scolded Sasuke. “Gomennasai nii-san! But dinner is ready and I am very, very hungry! So come quickly, or else I'll eat your dinner, too!” Sasuke exclaimed happily.
Itachi nodded, and then stared at Asuka. “Well?” he said in his badass tone, still staring at her. “Well? Well what, Itachi-san?” “Well did you have to something to tell me too?” “I...no, I didn't. Why?” If Itachi had been the kind of boy who rolled his eyes, he would have rolled them; and if he was the kind of boy who snorted, he would have snorted. But being the Uchiha Itachi we all know and love, he kept his stoic expression and simply replied “Because you are still standing on my door while Sasuke is desperately trying to gain your attention and pulling at your left sleeve in order to move you.” The girl looked down, and Sasuke-chan was actually pulling at her sleeve trying to move her. How come she didn't notice? That was rather strange. No. that was embarrassing. Very, very embarrassing. Asuka wished that she knew one of the Third's Doton jutsus (Earth element!!) and dig the deepest hole on that very ground under her feet and disappear in a puff of smoke, but again, that was improbable.
 
“Gomennasai, Itachi san” she said taking quick steps and heading to the kitchen.
 
“Nee-chan?”
“Yes, Sasuke-chan?”
“If you don't like nii-san, why are your cheeks this red?”
“…”