Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Who knew... ❯ 6. OF ROSES BACKGROUNDS AND MENTAL SELF SLAPPINGS ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

6. OF ROSES BACKGROUNDS AND MENTAL SELF-SLAPPING
 
It was five days before the festival. The night before, when Asuka had come back from the ice-cream walk, she had found a letter from her father, telling her that he was on his way to Konoha, as every year when the summer festival was held. And of course, her little brother, Shin, and her father's wife, Sadako-san, were coming. She was so happy to see her father and her brother! She missed them very much, but she didn't want to move to Suna with them. She was an Anbu of Konoha, and Konoha needed her. What would she do in Suna? Living in her father's wife palace, and learn the diplomatic career? No, this was not what she wanted. But sometimes, when she was home alone, and her house sounded silent and cold, she missed the steps of her brother running and playing the ninja in the corridors. She missed scolding him when he used the Dokushinjutsu on his friends. She missed preparing him breakfast, or a snack when he woke up at night after a nightmare. She missed him more than her father, because since he had married he had grown more and more distant. It was not Sadako-san's fault; she was a good woman, she loved her father, took good care of her brother and treated her nicely. Asuka thought that that was just the way things went, and she could do nothing about it. The letter said that they were travelling to Konoha, and that they would be there Tuesday around lunch. `Tuesday…Tuesday…it's tomorrow!' Asuka was happy beyond belief. Five solid months had passed since the last time she had seen her brother and her father.
 
The dark haired girl was very, very excited, and couldn't manage to sleep. She had too many things to think of; tomorrow morning she would have gone to her grandparents, and ask her grandmother to help her preparing the house. She had to be careful to announce her father's arrival, even if his arrival was a sort of tradition.
 
Asuka's grandfather, Yoshizumi Shinichi, had denied his son long, long ago, when he had refused to be the clan's heir to marry Kanegawa Asuko, a kunoichi who was strong and respected, but didn't come from a clan as powerful and important as the Yoshizumi. Shinichi had begged his son not to marry her, but Shinji, Asuka's father, had refused. Her father always told her that he was happy he had refused, because the years he lived with Asuko were wonderful years, and because he had Asuka and Shin. But there were also things that he regretted; for his fault, a sort of inner war had started in the Yoshizumi clan, to chose the heir. Some of the family members were found dead, and even if there were no signs of violence, the Yoshizumi elders were sure they had been killed. After all, the Ishigan doesn't leave traces, and nor does the Kyousei no jutsu. But when Asuka had developed the family's kekkai-genkai, her grandfather had no doubts: she would be the new heir.
 
A cousin of her father, aspiring to the heir title, had manifested his disapproval, and even if Asuka was just a child, he challenged her to a fight. Shinji and Asuko obviously refused, ready to face the consequences. But the man had attacked Asuka, and the little girl, in fear, had used her Ishigan with too much strength. The man was blocked just before using the Ishigan on her, and fell badly on the ground. Asuka had ran to him, releasing the Ishigan, and he was found still alive. The girl had found the way to focus on some body functions in order to maintain the person alive; and she had done it without training. Asuka was shocked, and she had cried very, very much, begging the man to forgive her. From that moment, Asuka became the heiress of the Yoshizumi clan, and nobody ever tried to fight her again. She was the clan and her grandfather's pride, who had come to love her and her brother, overcoming the hatred he felt for his son and his wife. Asuka thought she was happy then. But then her mother died. She had cried and screamed and begged Kami-sama to let her mom wake up. But her mother hadn't woken up. And Asuka and Shin never had the chance to kiss her goodbye.
 
* * *
Her grandmother had sent a few maids to prepare the rooms for Asuka's family. Asuka had left the Yoshizumi district, trying to go as far as she could, to avoid the sensation she felt every time her father came back. She hated to see the big, empty rooms opened and cleaned, because nobody was ever there to fill them. She hated to think that when her father came back, he was treated like a guest, and sitting at the same dining table was a special occasion.
 
It was early morning, and the air in the was already warm. All the early trainers were seeking refreshment under the trees of the wood right outside the southern gate of Konoha, which was her destination. From the Yoshizumi district to the southern gate it took at least ten minutes running with a good pace, and Asuka had learnt to judge her physical shape and her mood according to the time she took to get there; if it was more than 10 minutes, then there was definitely something wrong, but if she took less then 10, she took it as a premonition of a good day.
 
That morning she was running fast, and she counted that if she kept that pace she would have reached the gate in 7minutes or so. “Definitely a good day”, she thought. Her period of vacation was coming to an end, and two days after the festival she was supposed to go back to the Hokage's tower to see if she was needed. She liked the feeling of the vacation period, the laziness she could allow herself once in a while, but she loved the feeling of being in the middle of a mission, the adrenaline, the excitation, the feeling of strength and power running through her veins.
 
So there she was, six days before the end of her break, jogging. And thinking, her least favourite activity, these last few days. Because every time she thought, she found herself thinking about them: Kakashi and Itachi.
 
She still couldn't believe that Kakashi-sempai had really kissed her, ok it was on the cheek but still it was on purpose, he deliberately had put his lips, ok, his masked lips, on her cheek, and it hadn't been an accidental brushing or crushing. He had kissed her. Whether seriously, fraternally, or just to make fun of her, she didn't know. She had decided, together with Tomoyo and Hitomi, that for the moment she would just think about “Kakashi kissed me on the cheek”, and to momentarily let go of the reason why. She would have found that out, sooner or later, and keep on tormenting her mind with restless thinking would just bring her headaches.
 
And that day was too much of a good day to let it be spoiled by some bad thoughts. She had mentally began the countdown earlier that morning. By noon she would be hugging her little brother and her father.
 
Her I-pod on, waving to greet someone every now and then, she was pretty satisfied with herself; this morning she would establish her new record: Yoshizumi district - Konoha gate in just 6 minutes and a half.
 
Konoha was still feverish with the preparations for the festival; stalls and barrows, the lamps and the big tables were already ready. The floral decorations would be hung just before Hokage-sama would start the festival.
 
She had tied her hitai-ate (which usually was around her neck) on her left thigh, because she hated when it bounced while running. She was wearing the light blue track suit with shorts and vest that Tomoyo and Hitomi had given her for her last birthday, because they said that wearing in only white and navy blue wasn't really girlish.
 
Changing the song in her I-pod, she didn't notice that somebody was in her way.
 
Stomp.
Ouch.
 
She had fallen on her butt, but she could see that the person who hit her, or most probably she had hit had fallen as well, and was now stretching out his arm to help her up.
 
“I'm sorry, I should pay more attention. I'm really sorry.” Asuka murmured.
“No need to apologise, but yes, you should pay more attention…Asuka-chan”
She lifted her head. It couldn't be. Of all the persons she could hit, she had hit him. Maybe Kami-sama was conspiring against her happiness behind her back. Uchiha Itachi. She prepared herself mentally to be constantly reminded about how she attempted at the Uchiha's prodigy life by masses of angry fangirls, but taking quickly a look around she realised that there were none. Phew. Fangirls are probably still sleeping at half past seven.
 
But that made the situation worst.
 
She was alone, in the middle of a street, with Uchiha Itachi. Knowing her strange behaviour around him she really couldn't tell how this unwanted meeting would go. And she hated unexpected events. With a passion.
 
She dusted her light blue shorts, waiting for someone to tell her how to behave, what to say, what to do. But no signs would come.
 
“I really enjoyed yesterday night.” He said softly.
Yesterday night? Asuka couldn't recall what had happened of particular importance, except for the letter she had received.
She gave him a questioning look.
“Walking you home, Asuka-chan, talking to you. You really are one of clumsy in the morning. Physically and mentally, it seems.”, smirked the boy.
“Itachi, I thought we had settled our little incomprehension problem yesterday night. After all, you were the one who apologised for that. So what's the point in starting a conversation with me like that? I know that being one who normally doesn't stick more than 5 words together you may find some difficulties in having a normal exchange of words. Look, I'll help you: normally two persons who meet exchange greetings such as how are you, or something. Try, it's not as difficult as it may seem.” she said smiling warmly, but perhaps too warmly to be sincere.
 
“I don't see the point in asking how are you, as it seems to me that you are fine and in good shape. But as you seem to care…how are you, Asuka-chan?”
“Oh, I am fine, thank you. And you, Itachi?”
“…this conversation is meaningless. I didn't came here to tell you that I am fine and discuss the weather.”
Asuka blushed. `He…he came to talk to…me? He wanted to see…me? Calm down girl, he means nothing to you'. “Really? I'm curious, Itachi. You rarely speak to someone on purpose.”
 
Itachi would have rolled his eyes, but being Itachi, he just rolled his eyes mentally. This girl was really bothersome. “Let's have a seat, uh?” he said, already heading to a bench.
 
She sat and waited. He was sitting with his usual grace, his elbows resting on his knees, and arms crossed. He was wearing his usual black t-shirt with the Uchiha fan on it, his black pants, and bandages climbing his leg from his shinobi sandals, his hitai-ate around his forehead.
A light breeze blew, and Asuka moved a few locks of her fringe from her eyes. And she was caught unprepared. If she had been in a manga, the wood behind Itachi would have been replaced by a glittering background, with roses around him and sparkles all over. `C'mon, be serious, Asuka' she scolded herself mentally.
 
Itachi was really, really, really, really handsome.
 
She was lost in the sight of him, but when the breeze stopped she awoke from her dream-like vision, and mentally slapped herself. `He's Itachi, you baka! Itachi! The one you stand just because you have to! You can't get lost in dreamland looking at him! Ok, he's handsome…he's very handsome…omg how beautiful he is…hei! I was saying that he means nothing to you! Nohing! Nothing! Just stop being so childish and…and whatever you think that you may begin to feel for him, whatever it is, just STOP IT!'
 
“Asuka-chan, are you even listening to me?” Itachi looked at her.
“Oh…oh sorry Itachi, I wasn't paying attention…what were you saying?” `Great, just great! I always make a fool of myself when I am with him…hei! Again…who cares…'
 
“I said that I suppose you know about the festival, in Saturday night…do you…do you plan to go?” Itachi turned away. These last few days he often surprised himself thanking his self-control.
 
Asuka couldn't believe what he had just said. “Y…yes, I am going with Tomoyo-chan and Hitomi-chan…and my family, too…and you?”
“Your family? But doesn't your father live in Suna?”
“Yes, but he comes back to Konoha every year to the summer festival…it's his holiday break. I suppose that being a diplomatic is quite stressful, especially if you know the e situation going on between Konoha and Suna. I'm quite happy, because my little brother is coming, too, and I haven't seen him in months! And you, Itachi? Are you coming?” she seemed happy now, he thought. She was cute when she smiled like that.
“Oh, yes, I am. Well, there's also something else I wanted to ask you.”
Asuka smiled. This boy was full of surprises… “Yes, Itachi?”
She was sure he had murmured something, but he was almost whispering to himself. She neared him, and asked him “What? Itachi, I didn't catch one word…”
 
He abruptly stood up, and turned to face her. “It's nothing, Asuka-chan, really. So, I suppose I will see you tonight?”
“Y…yes, tonight.”
“Bye, Asuka-chan. See you tonight.” And he smiled. She had less than one second to notice, because he had already disappeared in a puff of smoke.
 
Damn that boy, his beauty and his sudden smiles. And she mentally slapped herself, again.
 
* * *
 
Itachi cursed himself all the way from the gate to the Uchiha district. `What was I thinking? What the hell was I thinking??? Thanks to Kami-sama she didn't hear a word…how could I?? Oh my god… Asuka-chan, are you going with somebody tonight? What in the world was I thinking?? Of course she is! Asuka-chan, do you plan to give me the flowers? Itachi you're such a loser. Of course she won't. she will be going with KAKASHI, and giving the flowers to KAKASHI. I must have gotten mad. What the fuck was I thinking??? Kuso.'
 
Entering the Uchiha district, Itachi's face lit up. Shishui was coming from the other side of the street. They hadn't spoke much since last night…since he had revealed Shishui that he wanted the Yoshizumi girl, too.
 
“Good morning, Shishui. Off to the training ground?” asked Itachi.
“Yes…are you coming, too?” replied the boy. He wasn't the usual happy Shishui.
“Yeah, why not.”.
“Are you coming from the village? What were you doing? I could have accompanied you.”
“Mmm, nothing. I just went to ask to Asuka-chan whether she was coming at the festival or not.” Replied Itachi with a malicious grin.
Shishui seemed hit. “What? You…you…met Asuka-chan?”
“Hn.” Was Itachi's reply.
 
Shishui had stopped walking. “Itachi, we need to talk.”
Itachi was feeling a bit guilty. After all, Shishui was as close to a friend as he would allow. `let go' a voice echoed in his mind `you know that he won't be suffering too long. The time is near. You still need to follow the way, whatever you believe you are feeling to that girl.'
“Listen Shishui. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to…you know…I didn't mean to…” Shishui interrupted him “To? To behave like a bastard? To speak and meet and smile to the girl I like? Because I remember I told you I liked her. and you were all `tell her, tell her Shishui, you should confess' and stuffs. And now? What the hell is wrong with you? Are you doing that on purpose?” Shishui was speaking bitterly, and Itachi could see that he hated this situation.
“I didn't mean to fall for her.” was the simple truth that escaped Itachi's lips.
Shishui was speechless.
 
Itachi. Uchiha Itachi. The Uchiha Itachi. The Uchiha prodigy…was in love? and with the same girl he liked? This had to be a joke. Itachi had to be kidding. But Itachi is always serious. And he had an extreme serious look on his face. He almost looked…relieved. What he had supposed the night before was true. Now he had the confirmation. Itachi liked Asuka.
 
“Shishui, I'm sorry, honestly.” Itachi really wanted to fix it somehow. He needed Shishui. As a friend. And as a covering. Shishui was part of his plan.
 
Shishui had began walking again, his mind a storm of thoughts, considerations, hopes, delusions.
 
After he had surpassed Itachi, who wasn't moving yet, he turned, and half crying half smiling he announced: “Ok, so you like her too, right? So…from now on…we are enemies. Only for what concerns her, of course. We are too friends to let anything bother us.”
Itachi smirked. “Yeah, that's fine with me.”
Shishui began running to the training area. “And Itachi…I won't keep back…all is fair in love and war!”
Itachi only smirked and kept on running.
 
* * *
 
“Asuka! Asuka! oh my, you are beautiful! Come here, baby girl!” Shinji hugged her daughter. “Don't say silly things, dad…look at you, you are getting older and older every time I see you!” Asuka exclaimed, still hugging her father. She disliked hugging and coming in close contact to people, but her father was very warm, and she let him hug her as much as she pleased, or almost. “Hei! I'm only thirty-five, and you know it! Be more respectful to your father, Acchan!” Asuka had a disgusted expression on her face. “I was just wandering how long you could stand without using that pathetic excuse for a nickname…apparently you broke your last record…congrats! By the way…” “Oh, Shin has been trapped by your grandmother. You'd better go and save him, I suppose they are still outside” Asuka nodded and ran away, but suddenly stopped and face her father. “I missed you, dad.” “I missed you too, baby girl.” Asuka snorted, and was out looking for her brother.
 
Her father had settled down, and Sadako was cooking a fast meal. Asuka liked to have someone cooking for her in her kitchen, because the formal meals at her grandparents' were exhausting.
She was sparring in the garden with Shin, who had asked her to teach him “some cool kunai stuff, because in Suna his teacher wouldn't let him use kunai but only shuriken”. The small boy was tall for his age, a little bit taller than Sasuke-chan, Asuka compared mentally. He had messy chocolate brown hair descending to cover his eyes, which was long just two fingers from the ear.
Her father looked like a taller and bigger and stronger copy of her brother, while everyone told Asuka that she was a perfect mixture of her father and her mother's features.
 
“Hei, fighters, lunch is ready!” he called them. “Comin', dad!” exclaimed both brothers.
Asuka and Shin washed their hands, and set at the dining table.
Sadako put the dishes on the table, and Shin immediately grabbed a slice of bread. Asuka slapped his tiny hand lightly and the boy looked at her, disappointed. “What do you have to say, Shin?” Asuka asked; “That I'm hungry!” Shin shouted. Asuka sweat dropped. “Ok, Shin. I now that you are hungry, but don't you want to thank the person who cooked all this for us?” she said, pointing at Sadako, who was now sitting beside Shinji. “Arigato, Sadako-san!” exclaimed the child. “Yes, arigato, Sadako-san, everything looks super tasty!” added Asuka.
 
While they were eating, and Shin was just telling them about the super cool technique his onee-chan had taught him, their father looked at Asuka, and asked her whether she would go out on a walk with him. She was enthusiastic, a chance to have her father all for herself.
 
Later that day Asuka and Shinji were walking in the wood, and Shinji was asking her the usual things a distant shinobi father asks to his kunoichi daughter. She told him that she had improved on Taijutsu, and had mastered a new water technique, which she was proud of because it was one of her mother's favourite techniques. She told him about the mission in the country of water, and about the one in the waterfall country. She didn't tell him that she was badly wounded in a retrieval mission just outside the country of Fire, but she didn't mind. These conversations were on her victories, and not on her failures.
 
* * *
 
Her family was back, but this didn't allow her to stop her training. She trained for four days with her father, who taught her some jutsus he had learnt in Suna, who allowed the user to master the wind. Shinji had come with her to train with Gai-sempai, who had simply loved her father, being a Taijutsu specialist.
 
But that day she was getting ready for a harsh day of training with Gai-sempai who absolutely wanted to teach her some new technique with nunchako, and maybe a sparring session with Kakashi-sempai.
 
She had woken up early in the morning, but she had found Shin about to knock on her door.
 
“Hei, what's wrong Shin-chan?” she asked him.
“I want breakfast.” He stated.
“You want breakfast. And such a strong and intelligent little man as you are is not able to cook breakfast?” she teased him.
The child blushed, and she knew that she had hit a bad spot.
“It's just that I want you to cook me some breakfast.”
Asuka took his hand, and they walked hand in hand towards the kitchen.
 
* * *
 
Asuka looked at her watch. `Great! I lost the track of time and I am late for training with Gai-sempai…I don't even have time to change…I just got to go and get the kunais and stuffs and head to the training ground…Gai is surely going to give me another lecture on youth and time…awesome…thank you very much, Shin!' and she ran to the training ground.
 
The lecture on youth and time was long gone, and all Asuka could understand was that she could take her time and be late as much as she pleased, because “peach blossoms like yourself should be admired with patience by the spectators, and not be asked to anticipate their blooming”. Personally she hated to be late, but if her sempai would excuse her every now and then, it was jut fine.
 
She had never used nunchako before, and it was the most difficult weapon she had ever handled. The first two times she tried, she had risked to get seriously injured, but when she noticed Gai sempai chuckling, she attacked him with all her strength. After all nunchako weren't as difficult as she thought.
 
Kakashi hadn't showed up at all, and she wondered if it was because…well, because of the kiss. Man, *he* had been the one to kiss her, and he was avoiding her as if it was all *her* fault??? Nonsense. But still, he hadn't showed up.
 
After a quick sparring with Gai, mostly made of Taijutsu techniques, she decided that it was better to head home.
 
It was the night of the festival, after all. She had to bath, to dress up, to get ready…She blushed madly. Yeah, it was the night of the festival.
 
And Itachi was going to be there.
 
 
- - - -
 
ta-daan!! I updated sooner than..than…faster than…
 
well, I updated ^_^ more than enough ^_^
 
I was afraid that this chapter was boring or something…I don't know…it's just that I was thinking about the next one >_<
 
2SEXY4U I suppose that we both are insane…joyful joyful!!! Yeeee!!!
 
Keep on reading and reviewing guys!!!
ciaooooo