Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Who knew... ❯ 34. ALL I WANTED WAS RAMEN ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

34. ALL I WANTED WAS RAMEN
 
Kakashi had lost the count. And to think that the very first days he was counting every minute and every second….life went on, he supposed. No, no; it's not like he could erase the thought from his mind, but still, thinking about it day and night seemed pointless.
 
It was pointless.
 
He was accepting each and every new mission Sandaime-sama was willing to give him…and he was rarely seen in Konoha.
 
Hokage-sama had had a sensitive intuition (or perhaps it was just fate deciding not to punish him further), and the only Uchiha he had been paired up during a mission was Shisui.
 
The white haired jounin liked the young man definitely more than Itachi; the short haired Uchiha was…was like Obito. So little Uchiha.
 
Which meant, he had a heart.
 
He had been sent near Kiri a couple of times, but he had always resisted the temptation to make a deviation and…well.
 
Hatake Kakashi looked at the watch; hmm, dinner time. Willing to cook? Hn. Ok, so be it.
 
He was walking down the street, heading to the Ichiraku ramen. It was pretty cold, and he could smell snow in the air.
 
Too lazy and too cold to take the Icha Icha from his pocket, the Anbu was heading to the Ichiraku with his usual lackadaisical grace, nodding in greeting to passer-bys and exchanging a couple of words with fellow shinobis.
 
That was, until he turned the very corner of the street heading to the Hokage tower.
 
Shit.
 
The other seemed not particularly enthusiastic in the meeting, too.
 
He might have been cold.
 
He might have been asocial.
 
But no one could ever say that Uchiha Itachi was rude or ill mannered.
 
“Konbanwa (good evening), Kakashi-san”
 
“Konbanwa, Itachi-kun.” The older man replied. Ok, the boy had greeted him and he had replied. It was all over now, right? Right? Wrong.
 
“Do you have news from Asuka-chan, Kakashi-san?” Itachi asked, his usual uncaring tone annoying the man to no end.
 
“Just what I heard from Shisui, Itachi-kun” he replied. He really didn't want any kind of conversation with the Uchiha heir.
 
“Oh, I see.” Was the reply.
 
Kakashi had surpassed the boy. Over and done? Hmm?
 
“Because…” the Uchiha began.
 
The jounin wanted to curse, badly. Wasn't Itachi the asocial, cold, silent kind?! Why the hell did he become this talkative??? And just when he was around him.
 
The last time he had seen a talkative Uchiha Itachi, had been the night before Asuka left. The goddamn brat had spilled out everything about his feelings for the Yoshizumi girl right in front of her. Enough to feel a sudden urge to have his throat cut with a rusty kunai.
 
Ok; only two things you can do about it now. 1. GO AWAY. Excuse yourself, say there's someone waiting for you, that you left the water of the tub open…no, better. Go away, and give him no excuse at all. You don't need excuses with that annoying brat.
 
Option 2, turn and ask in a bothered voice something like `What the hell do you want, Uchiha?'.
 
He was already picturing himself sitting in front of his ramen, taking advantage of the first moment of distraction of both the customers and the shop owner to actually have his ramen without them seeing his mask less face.
 
“What the hell do you want, Uchiha?” he asked in a bothered voice, turning to face him. Kakashi himself was shocked. Did he go nuts?
 
“Want?” Itachi looked at him with his black eyes. `So cold and empty' the white haired man thought.
 
“You never speak to me; and every time you do, it turns out to be something dreadful. Therefore, I want to know what's going on.”
 
“This is called paranoia, Kakashi-san.” The boy said dryly.
 
“Don't Uchiha. Don't play with me. I am in no mood for joking.” The older jounin had a moment of doubt; what if he was overreacting? What if he was really being paranoid? Hmm. No way. Itachi Uchiha always did things with a precise, specific intent.
 
Though his face showed no emotion, he could clearly see that the handsome Uchiha baby was amused beyond belief. And Hatake Kakashi mentally prepared himself to whatever bomb the brat was about to drop.
 
There was a moment of awkward silence between the two; they were studying each other, just like in a fight. The expression, the moves, the breathing…everything was a fragment they were considering to anticipate the other's move.
 
Itachi smirked.
 
Inner Kakashi sighed; the hell he was up to, now.
 
“If you want her, she's all yours.” He said, and moved to go.
 
Kakashi had a gap of a couple of seconds before he fully understood what the younger Anbu told him.
 
And it made him angry. Furious.
 
“You could use a little more respect when talking about a fellow team mate, Uchiha.” Was all he managed to say, practically biting his tongue and forcing his body to stay still and don't go on a killing spree to the detriment of the young clan heir.
 
“It doesn't seem to me that I said anything wrong.” The other replied nonchalantly.
 
Ok. Wrong approach, Kakashi.
 
“What's with the sudden change of mind? You were very possessive, till the last time I saw you. It looked like you cared about her.” `Yeah, as if you could really care about anyone, you overconfident bastard'
 
Itachi's smirk faded. “I never said I did care. I never said I don't care.”
 
The son of the White Fang didn't know what kept him from rushing off to look for a goddamn rusty kunai. Yes, a very, very rusty kunai.
 
“And the reasons” Itachi went on, “aren't really of your concern. Konbanwa, Kakashi-san.” The Uchiha prodigy walked away, heading to the Uchiha compound.
 
Hatake Kakashi was pissed off to no end.
 
That bastard of a brat.
 
He sighed. `It's all my entire fault, I was the one who got involved with brats.'
 
What now. His stomach growled, but he really was in no mood for food.
 
The man grabbed his Icha Icha Paradise copy, and headed to the closest pub.