Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Without Any Destiny ❯ Chapter 17 : Vial of Hope ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 17: Vial of Hope
 
`The pain of not being able to be with you,
Is as equivalent to snow falling eternally,
The sadness buried deep in my heart
Will remain frozen for eternity
Your smile is like the sun in my life
That melts away this cold season
Please don't take that away from me.
 
~Anonymous~'
 
Serene white curtains swayed to the breeze. Fresh white lilies in the vase signified hope and prayers. A prayer being muttered echoed throughout the small room. Beads of jade in her hand painted her faith for him. Yuri felt a soft pat on her back. It was Gai Sensei, standing beside here, with a grim and worried face.
 
“How is he?” Yuri asked.
 
“Not too good. Tsunade-sama said he has lost a lot of blood and is now, in temporary coma. They don't really know when he will be able to come conscious once more. It may take time for Neji to recover. However, his other internal organs remained safe and Neji may have a chance of waking up from this.”
 
“……… I feel guilty.”
 
“Why so?”
 
“… Kaede came to me last night.”
 
There was a slight aura of danger in the room that sent the cold vibes running fast in their blood. Yuri looked pale. She was afraid of things. Things began to run quickly in her mind.
 
“What did Kaede say?”
 
“He didn't say much about anything. He came to see how I was doing.”
 
“That's a pretty vague lie, if you ask me. Tell me what he said.”
 
“… I can't. He'll kill me if I told you.”
 
Great excuse, Yuri thought. It was the best lie she could give Gai Sensei without having him nosing around in their business. She didn't want him to know about the inside details. She knew she had to do this mission quietly. Gai Sensei sighed.
 
“Yuri, is this the only information you can give me?”
 
Yuri nodded. She clenched on the jade beads tightly. She was afraid that Gai might find her out. Her heart began to race quickly. She hoped Gai would not suspect anything. Gai turned his back and walked out. She gave a sigh of relief. He took her word for sure, she thought to herself.
 
`Did Kaede use Neji's blood in the pills? Could it be--?'
She shook her head in disbelief. She knew that Kaede would never do it… could he?
 
 
“Tell me, Tsunade-sama. WHAT ARE YOU HIDING FROM ME?”
Kakashi slammed his fist on her table. Tsunade sipped her tea, ignoring the existence of Kakashi before her every eyes. His blood boiled. He felt that everything began to go wrong since the day Tsunade arrived back from her meeting with the Sand Village Leaders. Tsunade rolled her eyes; then threw dices across the table.
 
“Hatake Kakashi, do you really want to know?”
 
“By all means: yes.”
 
“And why is that? Can you give me a good reason why you deserve to know?”
 
He clenched his fist tightly. Tsunade glanced at her dices. The two dice showed double sixes. The third dice had not fallen yet. It was still spinning at its own axis; its own pace and time. Kakashi slammed his fist again on the table, this time creating a dent in the table, which made the table jump.
 
“Do you want to know why I deserve to know?”
 
“That is correct.”
 
“That is because that person means a lot to me. That single person is the only memory I have left of my previous team. That person is the one I've been searching high and low all these years, in hope to bring her back to her home. The only person who can save us all now…”
 
Tsunade glanced at her dices. She clicked her tongue.
 
6-6-1.
 
“Darn. I had a lucky shot just now. Very well, Hatake Kakashi, I will brief you on everything you need to know about it under one condition.”
 
“And that is?”
 
Her eyes gazed sharply into his. He could feel the killing aura in her. His blood turned cold. He knew his question was about to breach into a `Private and Confidential' Matter, a Top-Secret Mission they were planning, which only the Administrative Orders and the ANBU know about.
 
“After this, you will not tell a single soul about it. If you do, I will see to it that you'll be disposed of. Do I make myself clear, Hatake Kakashi?”
 
He shut his eyes, in deep thought. With all consideration and things put into thought, he realized that whatever that he will be given later will be more than what he could handle.
 
However, it was the curiosity of knowing whether she was alive that got his attention.
 
It was the curiosity of finding out where she had been after all these years that trapped his confused soul into searching for answers he cannot answer by himself.
 
It was the curiosity if she was still the same person like before.
 
His feelings for her never changed and still remained the same. Often, he wondered if he had fulfilled his duty and promise towards her father. He felt the guilt build up in him each day as he waited for any news of her.
 
“I agree. Now, tell me everything you know.”
 
 
Yuri rubbed her hands together. She decided to try the skill out. It was a question she's been dying to know. She decided to infiltrate Neji's final memories. The curiosity of finding out what happened to Neji was tempting. Yuri put her right hand on Neji's head and formed another seal on the other hand.
 
`Neji, I'm determined to find out what happened. Please forgive me for peering in without your permission but this is no time for me to waste.'
 
“Ninja Skill: Infiltrate Mind Skill~!”
 
The atmosphere turned gloomy and silent. The connection between them was formed.
 
 
Three knocks and no reply was the final answer for Sasuke.
He turned Kakashi's doorknob and entered.
 
He crept into the room as his eyes roved around for something.
 
“Where was that picture once more?”
 
His eyes caught sight of a faded old photograph. He quickly picked it up. The picture was different from before. This time, under the Yondaime's palm, there was a something a little visible. It was a young girl, with dark brunette hair with two braids dangling behind her ears. Her eyes had a soft warm look but a cold-blooded murderer's stare. Sasuke felt a chill in his blood.
 
“Who is she? Was she the girl Kakashi was talking about?”
 
A soft tinkle of a bell echoed throughout the hallway. Sensing a strange presence, Sasuke peered out the door. Someone was there, watching and he knew it all along.
 
No one was there.
 
Sasuke felt that his mind was playing tricks on him. He looked in the photograph again.
 
His eyes caught hold of something.
 
Everyone in the picture had disappeared.
 
Sasuke felt something was amiss. This thing he was looking at was not just anything else. The bell tinkled once more. Alerted, Sasuke held out a kunai ands struck behind him. No one was behind him. He felt awkward.
 
“Come out, whoever you are~! I know you are here…”
 
Suddenly, a girl burst throughout the door. She had dark hair and fair skin, wearing a white cloak. She was exhaling in exhaustion. Sasuke looked at her. She had Byakugan eyes.
 
`No, this isn't the girl in Kakashi's picture...'
 
The girl looked at Sasuke and her eyes widened.
 
“Are you… Uchiha Sasuke?”
 
“What if I am?”
 
“Never mind that now. Have you seen a girl cloaked in red run by here?”
 
Girl cloaked in red… Could she be anywhere here?
 
“How did she look like?”
 
The girl looked astounded. She shook her head and replied,
“Sorry to bother you. I'm sure you haven't seen her around here.”
 
“Wait! Who are you in the first place and who are you looking for?”
 
The girl turned once more and replied,
“I'm Hyuuga Haruko. I can't tell you the person's name. She has forbidden the mention of her name to anyone. Besides, do you where is Tsunade-sama and Hatake Kakashi at?”
 
Sasuke bit his lip. This was getting the better of his curiosity. He had to find out.
“I'll take you to Tsunade-sama. Kakashi Sensei is not around. Follow me and I'll lead you to her.”
 
Haruko nodded her head as the both of them sped their way there. She knew that she had no choice but to follow him. In order to find her back, she has to go to Tsunade-sama.
 
 
Tenten was at the Nostalgic Fields, sobbing her heart out. She was grieving for Neji. She wished she had gone there earlier. She thought she could save him. Sitting down on the snow, overlooking the frozen sea, she cried. Her long flowing hair covered her face and her tears froze.
 
The Nostalgic Fields was said to bring miracles… and people together. Please, help me, save Neji-kun. Don't let him die…
 
A soft tinkling bell was heard. Tenten turned to her right. A girl cloaked in red was sitting beside her. Tenten couldn't see her face but she could tell that she wasn't dangerous. There was some warm aura around her that made Tenten feel relaxed. Tenten thought that the girl could be perhaps around the age of 17 to 21. The girl touched her hand. Tenten felt that her touch was warm; as warm as the summer sun.
 
“Who are you, young girl, and why are you crying here?”
 
“… My name is Tenten, and I'm actually grieving for a friend…”
 
“…Is he…still alive, by any chance?”
 
Tenten nodded her head. There was something about this mysterious person that made her felt comfortable. It was as if she was a long lost friend from before whom she knew very well. The person took Tenten's hand and placed a vial into her hand. Tenten looked at the colorless vial.
 
“What's this?” Tenten asked.
 
“A cure for your friend, it is. Give it to him and he'll be better.”
 
The mysterious girl stood up and was about to walk away when—
 
“Wait!”
 
The girl halted in her steps when she heard Tenten's cry. Tenten clasped the vial in her hands as she moved forward to speak to the stranger.
“Who are you? Why are you helping me? You don't even know me~!”
 
“Just call me `Friend'.”
 
“Dear `Friend', why are you helping me?”
 
“Because… I don't want to see people… losing their loved ones like how I did…. Don't misunderstand me; I'm only here to help. Time is not by my side now. Till we meet again, Tenten. I hope that friend of yours will be cured.”
 
The mysterious person disappeared in the mist. Tenten felt there was something familiar about her. Gazing at the vial, she knew she had no time left. She had to save Neji. This vial will be her only hope. Without a moment to waste, she dashed quickly to the hospital.
 
Neji-kun, wait for me. I'm coming to you.
 
 
Yuri staggered back to her seat. Her breathing became heavy and her face grew pale.
 
She watched Neji's memory.
 
She cannot believe what she just witnessed.
Her heart pounded fast.
She clenched her heart tightly and her eyes began to look around for anything strange. Frustrated, she pounded her fist on the nearby table, which made the flower vase tip over.
 
Damn this! How could I not even feel her presence? She was there all along and I couldn't even stop her. How was it that I couldn't feel her leaving me?