Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Macross Fan Fiction ❯ A Job of a Pilot ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The job of a Pilot
a Neon Genesis Evangelion/Macross/Robotech crossover
by Bug-Chan

Chapter 1

A.D. 2009, ten years after the crash of the Macross on South Ataria Island

After spending ten years sitting in the middle of South Ataria Island, being fixed, analyzed and prepped, the day finally came when the now-known Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, or Macross for short, was set to take off.

Ikari Shinji woke up just like how he did on any normal day...with a certain redhead entering his house with a sweet expression that morphed into a predatory look once she opened the door to his room. Shoryu Askua Langley tip-toed over to the sleeping Japanese boy, paused for a second, bent her head down, and took a deep breath.

"WAKE UP!!!!!!!"

This bolted Shinji off the bed and straight onto the floor, blankets, pillows and all. He groggily looked up to see through his crust-filled eyes a red blob, which changed to something more like a peach-colored blob with red around it, which finally changed to a rather beautiful redhead, with those sparkling blue eyes and her Asian features blending together to form a near-perfect German-Japanese fourteen-year-old girl. All which happened in five seconds, during which Asuka looked at her handiwork, trying in vain to stifle her giggling from seeing the desired effect and looking down at the equal-aged Japanese boy. She took this short time to look over his features, consisting of dark-blue eyes that could be mistaken for brown with an almost baby-like face yet to mature to a more manly-looking one, not to mention an innocent look that always somehow stuck to him. Something then snapped within her.

"Ikari Shinji!! Get up now and make yourself look more presentable!!!" she shouted, now fully waking him up. Shinji, finally with all his senses online, scampered out of his room towards the shower, during which Asuka couldn't help but look at his prosterior. 'Cute,' she thought, while blushing slightly.

Fifteen minutes later, after Shinji dressed up and grabbed some breakfast, both kids headed down the road to the munincipal junior high school they've attended for the past two years, all giddy. A week earlier, their history teacher arranged a field trip that day to the launch of the Macross, citing potential historical significance. The couple made it to school and met up with the rest of their classmates, waiting for the teacher and their ride towards the Macross launching grounds.

"Oi Shinji!" shouted Suzuhara Touji, waving his hand. Shinji saw it and headed towards the muscular and tanned jock. Next to him was another one of Shinji's and Touji's good friend, Aida Kensuke, a bespectacled and slim boy and a diehard military fan.

"I can't believe it!!! The Macross is launching!! The Super Dimensional Fortress Macross is launching!!!" Kensuke said, jumping up and down like a little kid.

"Can it, you've already said that more than ten times within the last fifteen minutes," Touji retorted.

"Come on! It's the Macross! It's 1.2 kilometers long for crying out loud! For all I know, it can hold an entire city inside of it!!!" he exclaimed, then proceeded to tell all other dimensions, which Touji and Shinji promply tuned out.

While Shinji went over to those two boys, Asuka spotted and headed towards Horaki Hikari, Class Representative. Hikari, a brown-haird and freckled girl, was Asuka's best friend and those two were rather inseperable.

"So what do you think about today?" asked Hikari.

"Boring...at least we aren't in school," Asuka replied. She then saw Hikari look towards a certain direction, which happened to be the trio Asuka dubbed "the Three Stooges", with a faraway look of sorts. "Earth to Hikari, come in," she called, waving her hand in front of the frecked girl's face.

"Yes Asuka?" she asked, broken out of her reverie.

"Who was it? Which stooge was it?" Asuka asked, almost with a predatory look. Hikari shrunk a bit under it with a blush, not being able to answer. Finally, she whispered, "Suzuhara."

"Suzuhara? What do you see in that jock? All I see is nothing but jock material, which happens to be idiocity and perversion!" she exclaimed. Hikari immediately shushed her, with her blush intensifying.

"He's not as bad as you think Asuka!" she replied quietly, so no one else could hear.

Asuka just shrugged. "Whatever." Hikari then thought of a clever way of getting back at her.

"When are you going to make your moves on Shinji?" she asked, somewhat slyly. This got Asuka blushing as well, not to mention her remembering the short moment earlier when she stared at his bottom.

"What are you talking about? Have you gone nuts or something??" Asuka asked. The brown-haired girl just giggled, happy at her friend's reaction. Then their rides came along with their history teacher. The class divided into groups and got in the vans, which promptly took them to the Macross. There it was, extremely long, wide and it looked like it could split in two or something.

The vans reached the grounds and everyone got off. Anyone at that moment could see Kensuke's new eyes, approaching the size of CDs and growing. He immediately took out his camcorder, which happened to be anywhere and everywhere he was at and started filming, while drooling like mad. Touji and Shinji slowly moved away from Kensuke, not wanting to be associated with a boy drooling at machinery. "Sugoi, sugoi, sugoi, sugoi, sugoi!!!" he exclaimed, making sure he had every inch of the Macross recorded. The group soon made its way to a platform where the Mayor of the city was making a short speech, who then proceeded to introduce the "ace" of the previous Unification War, Roy Fokker. The tall, lanky man walked up to the platform. Asuka's eyes were immediately glued onto him and him alone and she tuned out everything outside of her. All she could see was that man being her boyfriend right there and then. 'That's my boyfriend! I want HIM!!! Not some boy like Shinji! I want a MAN, not a BOY!!' she thought to herself. Soon the speech ended and a brief airshow began. "Ladies and gentlemen, please look to your right, the newest, most powerful Valkyrie fighters, currently lead by Ichijo Hikaru!" he said, and pointed towards the rapidly approaching fighter squad. They zoomed by and proceeded to go up vertically for a minute, after which each jet went a different way to form a flower-like shape with their exhaust, much to the joy of all the spectators...and the delight of one Kensuke, with his video camera.

"Now, ladies and gentlemen, please enjoy yourself and look around for the next hour when the Macross shall officialy launch," said the Mayor after taking the mic from Roy. The class split up and went different directions, with Kensuke practically bolting towards the nearest fighter jet with his camera, fully intent on getting its details. If one didn't know him better, one would've thought that Kensuke was a spy intent on getting the design of the Valkyries. Soon, Shinji and Touji drifted away from each other, getting interested in other things, with Asuka and Hikari doing likewise.

MEANWHILE, NEAR EARTH ORBIT IN SPACE

Numerous bright lights showed up, followed by weird, green spaceships a few seconds later. Inside one of those ships...

"Is this the planetary system that emitted the de-fold signature?" asked Lord Britai, the commander of the current fleet known as the Zentradi. He was a tall figure, emitting a sense of authority, with a metallic mask of sorts covering part of his face.

"That is correct, sir," Answered Chief Archivist Exedore. Exedore was Britai's personal advisor and source of knowledge, hence the title Chief Archivist. Even though his figure did not match near anything of a regular Zentradi, his knowledge more than made up for it.

"Hmm..." the general thought for a minute. "Send down a recon team to investigate," he ordered. It was relayed to all ships and one soon made its way slowly down to the unsuspecting Earth, and to where the Macross was located.

BACK IN SOUTH ATARIA ISLAND

Asuka and Shinji somehow met up in front of one of Valkyries on display. Shinji bent down and looked over the ship, both outside and inside. "It's funny," he said. "It's really funny,"

"What is?" Askua inquired.

"This plane. It looks almost exactly like the plane in this one game I'm playing now," he replied. "Even the controls."

"Oh," Asuka just replied. She followed Shinji and looked into the cockpit as well. Suddenly, a loud mechanical sound came from the Macross, to which everyone looked up. The Macross looked like it was transforming. Down the middle, the ship was splitting into two halves, which shifted over to make what looked like makeshift arms. Once it was done, everyone saw a red light spark between the two "arms", followed by a gigantic beam that came out of it towards the sky along with an extremely loud noise. Shinji and Asuka panicked and hopped into the Valkyrie they were looking at and ducked with their hands over their head.

INSIDE THE MACROSS BRIDGE

"What the hell just happened out there?!" asked an incredulous 2nd Lieutenant Katsuragi Misato, who just happened to come in as the beam fired. The bridge crew saw the purple-haired woman come in, apparently very surprised.

"The main beam just fired!" replied Claudia Grant, a woman with curly black hair and a serious attitude. A few seconds passed. "We have control of the ship once again!" she announced. Then Admiral Gloval came into the deck, banging his head and muttering obscenities. "What is our situation?" he asked.

"The main cannon has been fired against our will. The system jammed up by itself," reported Hayase Lisa. The long, brown-haired daughter of a high-ranking commander in the Earth Defense Council, she always had an air of dedication and seriousness around her, especially during times like these. Soon, another voice is heard.

"We're picking up unidentified objects coming in past the atmosphere!" announced Shammy, somewhat panicked.

"Admiral! Permission to scramble all Valkyries," asked Misato.

Gloval gave it some thought, then he nodded. "Permission granted."

"Hayase, scramble all Valkyries stat!" ordered Misato, which Misa carried out immediately. Outside the Macross, people looked up as it let out a siren.

"We are currently engaged in hostilities with aliens. This is not a drill! I repeat, this is not a drill!" Everyone then panicked and started running as far away from the Macross as possible, while Shinji and Asuka remained in the cockpit of the Valkyrie they hopped into, not aware of what was just announced. Soon, Valkyries from the space fortress came out and started taking off one by one. Roy then headed for his Valkyrie and strapped himself in.

"Another war eh? It's been two years," he mumbled to himself, then proceeded to taxi onto the runway. "Skull leader to base, asking permission to launch," he requested.

"Permission granted, Skull Leader," Misa said over the radio. Roy took off, headed towards the skies to join the fray of missiles, lasers and explosions.

"What the..." mumbled Misa as she looked at her screen. "What the hell is he doing there?" she asked herself, then pressed a few buttons. "VT-102! VT-102 on the ground!" This made Shinji lift his head towards the voice. "VT-102! VT-102 on the ground! Why haven't you taken off?" Shinji was dumbfounded, wondering why he was called VT-102. He then looked to the side of the plane and saw, in clear letters and numbers, VT-102, and silently panicked. 'This wasn't a display! It was an actual jet!' Worse still, a fueling truck came and fitted the jet with a machine gun and started fueling it. "VT-102!! TAKE OFF AT ONCE!!!" Misa shouted. This got Shinji's attention and made him wince. The crew was done fueling and prepping and gave him hand signals to proceed to takeoff. 'Oh brother...what have I gotten myself into?' he wondered, and as if he knew what he was doing, started to slowly taxi the plane. The vibration got Asuka to lift her head. 'It's just like the game, it's just like the game,' he repeated over and over.

"What's going on?" she asked, then saw Shinji's hands on the controls. She got hysteric. "BAKA! What are you doing??!" she shouted.

"I'm going to fly this plane," he simply replied. "Orders."

"What the--" Asuka got out before the afterburner blasted and forced herself onto the chair behind, knocking the wind out of her. To her surprise and relief, the jet took off perfectly without a hitch of sorts. The relief died when she saw where they were going. "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND???" she screamed at him. He cringed slightly, then shouted as a missle exploded near him, causing him to lose control momentarily. He regained it and started to pull off some dodges that even Roy would be envious of. Of course, the only feeling Asuka was feeling was something more like anger, fear and nausea all put together. A display then came on.

"Who's there? Identify yourself!" Roy's face came on. He didn't know about the other fighter in his Skull squadron and was very surprised to see two fourteen-year-old faces looking back at him. "How did you get into this plane?" he demanded.

Shinji started, "Umm, well--" before he got shot at and started nosediving. This knocked Asuka unconscious and put Shinji in overdrive panic mode.

"VT-102! You are in a collision course with the Macross! Change your direction at once!" Misa shouted.

"I can't! The controls must've all stalled! I'm stuck!" he shouted back.

"Go into B formation!" she ordered. Shinji looked back dumbfounded. "You don't know B formation??" she asked incredulously. "Hit the B lever next to the screen," she said, overlooking the fact that the people inside were kids and not pilots. Shinji looked and saw a lever with B, G and F and hit the B lever. At once, the Valkyrie he was in transformed to a robot, which he could control with more ease than the fighter jet. He tried to slow down, which he did, but not slow enough that he started to run into building after building after building, before stopping some twenty feet away from a Chinese restaurant. Shinji then reoriented himself and looked around. 'Phew, that was too close,' he thought to himself. He then got up and looked at the situation.

It was not making his day at all.

TBC

A/N - This is my first crossover fic, and please REVIEW!!! That's all I ask of you readers, read and review! I'm going to put this in both macross and eva categories and remove it from one of them as the chapters move on. till then, ja!