Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Macross Fan Fiction ❯ A Job of a Pilot ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Job of a Pilot
a Neon Genesis Evangelion/Macross/Robotech crossover
by Bug-Chan

Chapter 3

Roy took care of some more of those pods and went out to look for Shinji. He transformed back into fighter jet mode and took to the skies to look for the pilot. What he saw rendered him speechless for a minute: a Valkyrie in Gerwalk mode, without an arm, and a pile of smoke next to it. "Ikari! Ikari! Oi, Ikari! Answer me!" he shouted, almost frantic. All he heard was a ragged breathing pattern on the other side and some whimpering.

"Damnit! Ikari! Anyone in there!" Roy shouted, almost frantic. Then, a thought went across his mind: there was whimpering! "Young lady, young lady, are you all right?" he asked hastily. There was no response, save the same whimpering noise from before. Roy tried again. "Young lady! If you are all right, please respond!"

There was silence, the whimpering stopped. For a moment, Roy hoped that the occupants were all right, then the video communicator came to life, showing Shinji, head bent and facing down so Roy could only see the top of his head with a tightly-clutching Rei looking up with fear-stricken eyes. Roy was slightly surprised to see such red, terrifying eyes, then calmed himself. "Okay," he started calmly, "What is your name young lady?"

"Ayannami Rei," she answered timidly.

"OK Rei, are you all right?" Roy continued. She nodded ever so slightly, the fear receding, but still there. "Now turn to him and check to see if he is all right," Roy instructed. Rei looked at Shinji and lightly tapped on his shoulder. She was about to start, then turned back to Roy.

"What is his name?" she asked.

"Ikari Shinji, or at least that's what he told me," Roy answered. Rei turned back to the still bent-over Shinji and tapped his shoulder again. "Ikari-kun," she said, softly. There was no response, but the same ragged breath. "Ikari-kun, are you--" she started before a hand flew out, apparently from Shinji. It made contact with her pale and slender neck, grabbed it and pushed it all the way as far as his arm would go. Rei's head hit the glass behind her but the pain didn't register in her brain; it was busy being shocked by his sudden change in appearance. Shinji was looking back at her, with fire in his eyes, and clenched teeth; in fact, if there were some fangs in place of his teeth and a lot of fur, he could've been mistaken for a werewolf. His breathing became much louder by the second and Rei could've sworn his cheeks were moving on its own in tandem with his breathing.

"Ikari!!! Get a hold of yourself!!!" Roy shouted, this time really panicking. He had never seen such speed, or change in a person's attitude, and he was definitely not expecting this from a fourteen-year-old boy who, just some twenty minutes ago, was very easy to tease.

"Ikari-kun," Rei whispered, through her constricting airway, fear and terror in her voice. Her breaths were becoming shallower from the lack of air getting into her lungs, and her eyes were slowly blurring the image. "Ikari-kun," she repeated, even softer if possible. Then there was a huge explosion some few feet away from the fallen Valkyrie, apparently a shot fired by Roy in hopes of snapping him out of whatever he was in. Fortunately it did the trick. Shinji's head snappped up, his clenched teeth canged into an open mouth of confusion.

'What just happened?' he thought to himself, then felt something on his hand. It was the neck of Rei that he unknowingly grabbed. He then looked up to see Rei, now about to go unconscious due to lack of air. Shinji's eyes widened and he immediately yanked his hand back, realizing what he did just now. The fear in Rei's eyes died out, only to find a new resident within Shinji's. 'I...I...I...I nearly...killed...her!!!' his mind echoed loudly. He then looked opposite of her to see a burning wreckage with pretty much nothing left but scrap iron. 'I killed that thing as well?' he asked, in disbelief and terror. Then something struck him, 'Asuka!' and turned around. He breathed a sigh of relief after seeing that her head wasn't in a twisted position like how he remembered. Then there was some movement from the redhead, followed by a moan.

"What's going on? What happened? Ow, my head hurts," she moaned, trying to get up. "Shinji? Are you there?" she asked, only to find him frozen in fear and pretty much nonresponsive.

Roy picked up all she said, and trying to somehow keep Shinji from going into another trance or bringing him out of it if he did, thought of teasing him, hoping to relieve him somehow. "Ah, I see that your girlfriend is up!" he pleasantly exclaimed and laughed. This did the trick; Shinji's face changed from that of fear to confusion, then to embarrasement. Asuka did the same, minus the fear section. Both teens looked down at the floor, blushing for a second, then lifted their heads back to look at Roy. "It's not like that!" they shouted in sync, both with red faces. Then both looked at each other, surprised at their simultaneous outburst, then looked away, both going "Hmph!" at the same time. This caused Roy to laugh even harder, and Rei even cracked a small smile at their reactions. Asuka then looked into the display and immediately recognized who it was.

"Fokker-san!!!" Asuka squealed like a typical middle school schoolgirl.

"Yes, that is my name," he replied, "And what may yours be, young lady?"

"Shoryu Asuka Langley! Your number one fan...and your girlfriend!!!" she answered back, happily. This caused Shinji and Rei to give her a funny look, while Roy just casually laughed.

"Well, we'll get to that later, how about if we get out of here for now?" Roy suggested, changing the subject.

"Let's go! I don't want to get killed again!" Shinji shouted, stopping Asuka from pointing out the sudden change in subject. 'Or more like I don't want to kill,' he mentally added.

"All right, follow me! And make sure you switch into fighter mode by flipping the "F" switch now," Roy ordered and took off. Shinji did the same and apparently gave a bit too much thrust, flattening Asuka to the chair she was sitting.

"Baka! Be more careful with this thing," she exclaimed.

"Sorry," he mumbled.

"And don't take advantage of her there, you little pervert," she added.

"Sorry," he mumbled again, obviously not paying attention to her.

"Are you listening to me???" she yelled again. Before Shinji could say anything, Roy's face came on again.

"You kids pipe down! You make as much noise as a newlywed couple!!!" and turned the screen off. They flew in silence towards the Macross.

--------------------------------
COMMERCIAL BREAK
--------------------------------

MEANWHILE, IN THE SHELTER,

"Touji, I don't know what happened to him! Can't see him anywhere!" Kensuke whispered to Touji.

"You sure?" the jock asked. Kensuke sighed, lifted his arm and slowly swung it around the room.

"I've looked for Shinji three times and I've covered every square meter of this room that happens to be as big as 15 football fields side-to-side. Why don't you go up and look for him yourself if you don't believe me?" he asked in exasperated tone.

"All right, all right, I believe you," Touji sighed, and slumped his shoulders, worried over Shinji's disappearance. Kensuke did the same and sat next to him, both looking down at the floor, worry etched all over their faces. Hikari then appeared and sat across from them.

"You guys haven't seen Asuka have you?" Hikari asked, just as worried as the two aforementioned boys.

"Nope," Kensuke answered. "Shinji too."

"Ikari's missing also? Oh no..." Hikari trailed.

"We can only hope for the best for those two," Touji said. The other two could only agree.

BACK ON THE MACROSS

Both planes came in and landed without a hitch in the hangars. Roy got out first, and approached the other Valkyrie to help out with anything possible. Shinji opened the glass and as he was about to let Rei get off, Asuka literally flew out and landed on top of Roy, that too in a rather awkward position.

"Whoa, easy there Asuka," he said, getting up while helping her up. The moment both were up, she immediately latched herself onto one of Roy's arms, giggling away. Roy sighed inwardly. "All right guys, follow me." Shinji and Rei followed the de facto couple in front of them and both got into a Jeep, Roy and Asuka in the front and Shinji and Rei in the back. Roy started the engine and started driving away from the hangar.

OFF TO THE BRIDGE

All the bridge members were contemplating on what to do now that the Gravity Control System, their main method of lifting the gigantic fortress off, was gone. Ideas came up, and were immediately shot down because of some major flaw. Then, a beeping noise broke the silence and contemplation. Everyone ran back to their station to check. Shammy spoke up.

"Sir! Ma'am! Alien crafts have been detected above us in the ionosphere! They are holding their altitude steady and apparently are not making a move!" Shammy announced from her station.

Gloval sat down for a while, doing some heavy thinking, then lifted his head up. "We are going to fold out of here," he announced.

"Fold??!" Misato exclaimed. "Admiral, that still hasn't been tested yet! We don't know what would happen if we fold right now!"

"Lieutenant, above us is an alien fleet with a force of a size only God knows. We try to penetrate that, we'll become scrap metal by the time we reach space. If we fold, something might happen, but there's a small chance of surviving. A small chance of survival is better than none," Gloval explained calmly.

Misato digested what he told her, and understood his words. "Understood sir. I apologize for my outburst," she said.

"That is alright, Lieutenant. You are only doing your job," the Admiral forgave her.

"All right, ladies. You heard the man. Prepare for fold," Misato ordered.

"Roger!" the entire bridge crew replied, and immediately got to work at their consoles, typing and speaking away. A minute later, Misa announced, "Preparation are complete, countdown timer has started at 2 minutes." An automated message soon followed her. "T-minus two minutes until fold."

"Good. Let's just hope we don't get attacked within those two minutes," Gloval said before crouching over again in his seat.

OFF TO THE JEEP

"T-minus one minute and thirty seconds until fold."

"What's a fold?" asked Shinji quizzically.

"Apparently, the Macross is trying to teleport out of here," Roy answered. 'The fold isn't stable! Who knows what will happen to us?' he added to himself.

"Baka Shinji! What are you worrying over? We have Fokker-san here who'll protect us!" Asuka said, with a smirk on her face. She then grabbed onto Roy's arm even tighter. Roy chose to ignore what she said and did and kept driving.

"T-minus thirty seconds until fold."

"Why am I getting a bad gut feeling about this?" Shinji muttered to himself.

"Baka! You're always so depressed! It's going to be fine!" Asuka told him rather strictly, even though a slight pang of worry was tugging at her as well.

"..." Rei kept silent, but instead moved a bit closer to Shinji.

"Five"

"Four"

"Three"

"Two"

"One"

"Initiating fold"

Suddenly the world became a color of blue and red and everyone was seeing triple vision. Roy in his current situation started swerving the jeep in wild patterns, with the three teens grabbing onto something for dear life. "AAAAAAAUUUUUGHHHHH!!!" Roy shouted, trying to somehow drive without crashing under the new circumstances. The Macross then started rumbling, first gently, then violently, threatening to send the jeep occupants flying out, for it had no roof. It took Roy all his willpower and whatever luck out there to keep the car going and in one piece.

Shinji was holding on to the grip on the car for dear life, with Rei onto him as well. 'Please please please, not here!' he panicked to himself. Then the rumbling started and Shinji started to feel a bit afloat. He tightened the grip, trying not to fly out. Unfortunately, on the next turn...

'Oh no, i'm losing my grip, my hand's growing weak!' he panicked. When Roy made a sharp 90-degree turn to the right, that was it. Shinji let his hand go and he went flying out of the car to the left with Rei in tow, crashing through a weak section of the wall and falling down into a pitch-black area.

Outside the Macross, there was a huge sphere that covered the entire island and the nearby aircraft carriers floating. Everything inside the sphere was rumbling violently and its occupants were all seeing triple. In the shelter...

"What the hell is this??!" Touji shouted, among the others shouting and screaming.

"I don't know!" Kensuke shouted back, trying to flatten himself on the floor. The rumbling grew in strengh, and the shouts and screams grew in tandem. What seemed like an eternity of rumbling suddenly stopped and became as if nothing happened. Everyone lifted their heads up to see that it was quiet again.

ON THE BRIDGE

All the members slowly got up, feeling somewhat disoriented. Misato was the first to be on both feet. "Status report!"

All the bridge members quickly got to their seats, disorientation gone. Claudia typed something in her console, and her breath caught. "Umm...Ma'am...you're going to have to see for yourself on this one," Claudia told, rather shaken.

Misato went to her console, and paled. "Admiral," she started, trying in vain to keep her calm, "We are in the orbit of Pluto," she finished, almost about to faint.

TBC

A/N - Notepad is good when Microsoft word is acting up. Remember folks...REVIEW!!!