Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Macross Fan Fiction ❯ A Job of a Pilot ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Job of a Pilot
a Neon Genesis Evangelion/Macross/Robotech crossover
by Bug-Chan

A/N - Sincere thanks go to Norsehound and Luis for some comprehensive reviews. I am writing a crossover, but I do want to add some twists of my own, or else it's going to look too much like retelling Macross only with different characters, which I do not want to write, and which I am sure no one wants to read. So it's a fine line, but still, I appreciate the reviews, good or bad (the bad needs a reason why it's bad, not just some "it sucks" review). Keep the reviews up.

And about the Robotech/Macross thing, I did this cuz I actually know people who haven't heard of Macross (believe it or not). So sorry if this gives confusion over the other Robotech eps after the Macross saga.

BTW, I didn't even realize I put in that eva reference in the prev. chapter :)

On with the fic now

Chapter 5

Let's turn time back a tad bit, while Shinji and Rei fell down into the dark...

"EEEEEARGH!!!!!" Roy grunted as he tried to keep the jeep under control. His grip on the wheel left him with white knuckles. Next to him, Asuka held on to Roy with such a death grip that her knuckles turned white. The rumbling went on and the car skidded, causing too many near-crashes for both the passengers' comforts.

'I don't want to die like this!!!' Asuka mentally screamed to herself. Suddenly, the rumbling stopped, catching both Asuka and Roy by surprise. Roy almost crashed the jeep one more time as he brought it to a skidding halt. Two heads came up and looked around, surprised.

"Did the shaking stop?" asked Asuka timidly, most unusual from a fiery girl like her.

"I guess it did," Roy replied, still trying to figure out what just happened. "Are you all right?"

Asuka's demeanor changed from frightened little girl to tall-and-standing proud girl. "Of course I'm all right! Soryu Asuka Langley is always all right!"

Roy smirked at her confidence, but it still lightened the overall mood. Both then shared a good laugh. Suddenly Roy stopped.

"Mr. Roy? Is something wrong?" Asuka asked, noticing his sudden change in moods.

"Shinji! Rei!" he exclaimed after realizing that the back seats were empty. Asuka's eyes widened and turned around. Expecting to see a boy and a girl behind her, she only saw an empty seat.

"Shinji! Where did he go?" Asuka exclaimed, panicking. Roy couldn't answer the question immediately. Instead, he put his hand on Asuka's shoulder.

"Asuka," he started. "Let's get out of here for now." Asuka only nodded dejectedly and followed Roy back to the jeep.

IN THE BRIDGE OF THE SDF

"Pluto?" asked everyone else in the room. Misato and Claudia both solemnly nodded. There was whispers going among the bridge bunnies and with Misa while Misato and Claudia faced the Admiral, who was at the moment madly trying to calculate things. Soon, a beep caught the attention of one of the bridge bunnies.

"Sir! Ma'am! We are picking up multiple life forms on the radar," Shammy announced.

"Zentradi?" asked Misato.

"No..." trailed the long-haired girl. "These are...humans,"

"WHAT???" shouted the entire bridge crew. They all headed to the radar, only to see that Shammy was indeed telling the truth. Claudia then ran out to the window that gave a view of where the humans were and saw what looked like a bunker.

"Sir, there's the shelter over here," Claudia said. Misato ran over to where Claudia was and saw the shelter as well.

"Apparently the fold system took more than just the SDF. It took in the shelter as well," the Admiral surmised. The rest of the crew just nodded in agreement.

"Look, even the Prometheus and the Daedalus!" Misa pointed out. Everyone noticed the two aircraft
carriers floating in space, along with a whole lot of trees, cars, buildings
and whatever was in the city.

"Well, better fetch these people then," Misato said. "Arrange for a shuttle route for the shelter and bring the people onboard the SDF."

"But Lieutenant! This is a space fortress! This isn't a civilian ship!" Misa pointed out.

"Well, do you have a better idea as to what to do with these defenseless civilians?" Misato asked back evenly. Misa stayed silent. "All right, set up a route and keep me posted if anything happens." The crew all nodded and started to work.

"And once that is done, have the workers haul in the things floating outside. The civilians could use some of those cars outside," added Gloval.

IN THE SHELTER

"So what's going on?" asked Touji, totally clueless, amidst the general confusion.

"Your guess is as good as mine," answered Kensuke, just as clueless. Soon everyone heard a loud repetitive banging noise coming from the door. A few more bangs later, the door came down to show a small convoy of soldiers, numerous shuttles and some Veritechs. Everyone became happy after seeing someone come and rescue them.

"Everyone, please file into an orderly line and make your way for the shuttles. You will be briefed when you arrive at your destination," announced one soldier. The group immediately complied and all got into a line and made their way towards the waiting shuttles. Soon, full shuttles took off one after the other towards the SDF.

SOMEWHERE IN THE SDF

Roy and Asuka both were in the jeep, both with faces of indifference. However, down inside, both were worried about Shinji and Rei, Asuka more worried about the former. She had to admit to herself that she was worried about Shinji. 'What??? Why am I worried about that baka hentai?' she mentally reprimanded herself. But as much as she wanted to suppress her thoughts about Shinji, it kept on resurfacing in her mind. Not only was the thought of the timid boy sticking up but so was that enigmatic Ayanami Rei. She couldn't help but feel jealous about the current situation the two aforementioned teens were in.

'Wait a minute...jealousy? Since when was I jealous of them???' she asked herself again.

"Are you all right there?" Roy asked. Asuka jolted out of her little argument and looked at him. "You looked like you were in a trance there for a minute." Asuka was about to answer when Roy's cellphone rang. "Fokker here."

"Major Fokker, as we speak, there are shuttles coming in from the shelter back at the island. Apparently the fold has taken up more than just the fortress. YOu see, at any time..." Gloval spoke before getting cut off.

"Understood sir! The needs of the many are more important than the needs of the few? Understood sir!" Roy interrupted, then hung up.

During the conversation, Asuka observed Roy's face go from indifference to incredulance to determination, all within the span of some twenty or thirty seconds. Once he hung up, she voiced her question. "What's going on?"

"Apparently, when the ship went into the fold system, it also took the shelter and two aircraft carriers with it," Roy replied.

"The shelter???" Asuka exclaimed. "That means Hikari and those guys are there!"

"Yup, your friends are all gonna come onboard," Roy said, smiling. 'If only Shinji and Rei were here...' he trailed mentally. "Well, change of plans, we're going to the shuttle bay," Roy said as he changed directions and headed towards the shuttle bay. The two of them reached the shuttle bay and saw a line of people walking out. Roy stopped the jeep as Asuka got off and ran towards the line, hoping to see someone she recognized.

The trio of Hikari, Kensuke and Touji slowly filed out of the shuttle, somewhat unsure of what was to happen next. The looked around to see nothing but Veritechs and soldiers running around and doing things. Then they saw a redheaded girl looking for someone.

'Redhead...' trailed Hikari. Her eyes shot up in realization. "Asuka!"

Asuka turned to where she heard her name. She first saw no one, then a particular freckle-faced girl caught her eye. "Hikari!" she shouted, as they ran towards each other and hugged. Both were all smiles as they met. Kensuke and Touji followed Hikari, albeit in a much slower pace, not exactly eager to hug Asuka.

"Are you all right?" Hikari asked, concerned for a second.

"Of course I'm all right!" Asuka beamed. "You came out unscathed yourself,"

"Yeah, we were scared though," Hikari said. She noticed someone was missing among the small group. "Shinji?"

"Huh?" Asuka asked, not understanding her question. "What about Shinji?"

"Where is he?" Touji asked, coming up behind Hikari with Kensuke in tow.

"Just disappeared with another girl," Asuka replied with fake disgust and looked away. She saw Roy talking with a few other soldiers. "Mr. Roy!!!!" she shouted, ran over to him and glomped onto one of his arms. Hikari, Touji and Kensuke just looked at her, all three thinking the same thing.

'She's not telling everything.'

TBC