Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Princess Nine Fan Fiction ❯ A New Season's Reality ❯ A New Challenge ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers:

Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, are

Property of ADVision, and Gainax Inc. I only *wish* they were mine.

ADV Film In has all the rights to Princess Nine, and all related characters, and concepts. Enjoy!

A New Season's Reality

Chapter#2: Of School and New Challenges

Family Connections

Yui was worried, more for the fact that as a mother she had to worry about her children's future. Though it was only a few weeks since Shinji and Rei showed up in her life, her maternal instincts were kicking in. Being four months pregnant only put more coals on

her fire.

Unfortunately, Gendo had to bare most of the mood swings that normally accompany a pregnancy. But Having Shinji and Rei there made that easier to handle. Plus he had discussed with Yui that she should concentrate on teaching Rei some of the ways to act properly in social situations, while he took Shinji under his wing to try and make up for his other self's' barbarous way he had treated him. They also had to help Kyoko with her two new offspring.

With that in mind, Yui made her way to visit her sister in law.

She had not seen Keiko for several years, as both led and time consuming lives.

Yui had her university schooling, and medical school.

While Keiko was the chairperson of the Hiumero Group, and the chairperson of Kisaragi Boys and Girls High School.

For the last two years, she had sent letters and e-mails occasionally to keep in touch.

But now she was going to see her on behalf of her "New" children and Kyoko's.

As she approached the school's campus, she remembered her humble beginnings and the scholarship she had gotten from the Hiumero group. She was orphaned at 4 years old, much like Shinji, but she was at her aunts' home when her parents were killed in a head on collision with a drunk driver. She then stayed with her brother , with her mother's sister till she applied for the Hiumero group's Scholarship.

It was a scholarship for the sciences, and with Yui's test scores, she easily breezed through all her high echo courses and aced her high school exit exams and Her University entrance exams. Only one other was close to her scores, and that's how she had met Kyoko Soryu and they became fast and close friends.

Kyoko had a similar childhood only she had grown up with a father broken my her mother's death from cancer. This alone made Kyoko resolve to help those who had terminal diseases. Plus her friendly competition with Yui drove her to strive for more.

She had also met Keiko back then at a charity function thrown by Keiko's father. Yui was there as one of the gifted students that the Hiumero Group had there as one who benefited from the corporations' generosity. She also met Hirohiko Hayakawa, Keiko's boyfriend and gifted baseball player. She could see the kindness and determination in him and was glad for her friend

She was there as well for Keiko when he left her to keep the ugliness of his scandal away from her. Then later on, she cried with her at his final vindication just a year ago.

Happy for Keiko, whom she knew had still loved her former boyfriend, even though she had married Yui's older brother.

Though she knew Keiko did love her brother, her feelings for Hirohiko was one of the things that Yui thought of when she fell for Gendo just a few years later. Her brother's unexpected death, and Keiko's reaction to it was one of the reasons for her choosing her field of research, curing genetically based diseases.

Yui had thought of all this as she found herself now standing in front of the school's main entrance. She then remembered the strained relationship that her friend had with her own daughter, her niece Izumi. The way each had been acting towards one another was reminding her more of the bitter and angry relationship Shinji had described with his father. She made a mental note to also talk to Keiko about this as well.

As she walked up the driveway, Yui thought of all these things, as a few moments after Kyoko arrived right behind her in a cab.

As she paid the cab, Kyoko greeted her friend. "Seems we both got here right on time."

"Yes, now to see to our children's education," was Yui's reply as she gestured both women to walk into the school's administrative building.

"So, you think your sister-in-law will give our children a chance to enroll?"

Yui shook her had. "Kyoko, you know their test scores from the junior high exit exam we had them take, they could all go for the College entrance exams right now, but I wanted them to have them attend high school."

"But, why? You said yourself that they scored so high, they could have qualified for any University in Japan?" Kyoko was looking at her friend with disbelief and concern.

Yui looked right back and smiled then put her hand on her friend's shoulder.

"With all they've gone through, Shinji's role in Third Impact, Asuka not having her parents there and becoming a shell of herself, Rei being a tool for an obsessed and lonely man, and Kaworu? I think they all need a normal life, not one that will be filled with the pressure kids their age shouldn't have. Kyoko, Haven't they had enough of that already.

Putting them in College would be one more adult pressure they don't need right now." Yui sighed at her friends' demeanor as she started seeing that Kyoko now understood. She then smiled at her, "Let them have the normal high school pressures. It will help them recover psychologically and give them a chance to be normal again."

Kyoko thought about her friend's words before nodding and smiling at her.

"Now I know why you're my friend. I forget the obvious sometimes."

They hugged and then locking arms, marched to the Chairperson's offices.

Kieko Hiumero's Office;

After the greetings and introduction are made, Keiko Hiumero sat down with the two women. "Well Yui, what brings you, and Kyoko here?" asked in her cool professional manner. She had remembered that Kyoko had also gotten a scholarship as well the same year Yui had.

"Well, as you know Kyoko and I are pregnant, but well, we've inherited some more children." That raised Keiko's brow. Yui then enlightened her sister-in-law of her current familial situation.

"So, they are your children now?" Both women nodded in agreement. Kieko smiled as well, all four had scores that would put them at past the entrance level of any University around the world, plus having them at Kisaragi would bring them more academic fame as well as their athletic fame they already had. "And these test scores are well above the level for them to qualify for one of our scholarships." But then She realized that all her academic scholarships were already awarded. But since you came to me right before our terms is set to start, I don't have any available." That visibly deflated the anxcious women Keiko was thing frantically, not just because this was her sister in law who she was fond of, but these four children would be snatched up by any respectable high school.

She needed them! ". But there is a way. There are other scholarships!"

"What is left. Can our children qualify for them?" Kyoko anxiously asked.

"They are athletic scholarships. So, can they play any sports?" Keiko wanted to help Yui and her friend's children. But with what strings she had pulled the year before to get a Girls Baseball team at Kisaragi, She could only offer them this.

"Well, I know that Shinji is into baseball, but I don't know if he can play. And as for Rei, I think she can learn fairly quickly." Yui now had some doubts now that both Shinji and Rei could become athletes good enough so they get the education she wanted for them.

Kyoko had the same thoughts, but she knew that ever since Asuka and Kaworu came into her life, she knew that giving Asuka a challenge, she would jump on it with all fours. But as for Kaworu, she had no real idea. She then turned to Kieko.

"I know that my daughter would be up to any challenge, but my son, Well I simply don't know."

"Well, ladies, you need to talk to your children and find out from them.

It is they who would have to play to attain their academic goals." Keiko then took a sip of her tea as she waited for the women to respond. Both seemed to see that it would be up to the children to make their own decision. Both women looked at each other, pondering how their children would react to this new situation, then as if they both got the answer simultaneously. They turned with an important question for Keiko.

"Keiko, can we bring them to the campus and have them tour it and the athletic activities here." Yui waited a few moments waiting for Keiko's response.

Kieko smiled, she knew both women were strong and would help in convincing the four of putting forth their effort not just to better themselves but also to help their parents as well.

"I don't see a problem with that. Bring them tomorrow as I know several of the sports teams are practicing." Keiko then gave them a schedule for which of the teams and sports were practicing. "Remember, have them look carefully, as they have to make a decision

within the week for the scholarship to be awarded. Plus, they can apply for an academic scholarship for the next term." So they would only have to be athletes for a semester, then they were home free. Both mothers sighed in relief. Bows and handshakes were exchanged as all three women got what they wanted, now it would be up to the children.

Though the children now had a chance to get a top-notch education, they would have to be athletes first, and scholars second. Both Yui and Kyoko had their reservations, not just about whether they could compete in this level of athletics , but would they want to.

With their backgrounds, both women were worried. But, that would change soon enough.

________________________________________________________________ ________

The New Students

At first Shinji was apprehensive. Rei was as stoic as ever, Kaworu just smiled his normal smile, Then there was Asuka.

"WHAT? I have to sweat and run, and jump? For what, Momma?

So some stuck up Rich boys get to goggle over my pristine and immaculate body?"

Kyoko rolled her eyes at her expressive daughter. "Asuka, you know it isn't like that. Besides it's only for one term, and then you can quit whatever sport you choose and have an academic scholarship then."

"But, Momma, Do I really have to? I've already been to college. Why do you want me to go there? " Asuka was in pity mode, with Kyoko slowly losing her patience.

But before any Soryu eruptions were made, Yui put a hand on her friends shoulder to calm her, looked at the upset teen and with some thought said,

" Asuka, this isn't like you, giving up so easily to a challenge. Especially something that I'm sure you could excel in. Why, aren't you in shape, or did you let your self go in that former life of yours." Yui still showed indifference to the brooding redhead, but inside she

was smirking at her cleverness, as she knew...

"ASUKA LANGLEY SORYU NEVER backs down FROM A CHALLENGE!" With that Asuka stomps upstairs to her room in her mother's new apartment. A loud slam followed!

"Well that went well." Gendo observed, and Yui smacked him on the arm "Ouch, what was that for?"

"For being too observant!" was his wife's clear reaction.

"Mother is right, father, some things are best not being said" Rei the continued,

"I will want to observe the sports activities there to better evaluate which one I will decide to participate in." Rei was looking at Shinji for his response, it was slow in coming.

"I ... I don't ... really ... want to ..." Shinji kept stammering.

"It's alright Shinji," Kaworu patted the nervous boy on the shoulder, "We'll all be there tomorrow and then, we'll see for ourselves. " He smiled his patterned smile wihich calmed the nervous boy.

"Son, this is a great opportunity for you to get an excellent education, something I know I didn't have at your age. "Gendo looked down, as if he was thinking of events far away and long ago. He then looked up at his son, with a smile on his face.

"Please Shinji, at least take a look tomorrow, then you can sit down and make a clear decision with all the facts there."

Shinji looked at his father in some bewilderment, at least this father who was acting so differently than the cold calculating man he had known. But this father would accept whatever decision he would make and support him whatever happens. That made his decision much easier.

Shinji had already set his mind on attending the local high school, with Rei, Kaworu, and Asuka. But now they could have a better shot at a better future. But it meant putting himself in another pressure situation. Granted it wasn't saving the world, but still others would have to count on him, at least with most team sports, so he was still very hesitant.

Then he thought over his father's words, allowing the facts of their situation now to appear up front in his mind.

Of how he, and his friends now have another chance, another opportunity at that normal life that was so elusive to them before.

("Well, this must be one of those opportunities that I would have here, in this reality.") Shinji then decided to give this school a chance.

"Ok, I'll go tomorrow and take a look around." Yui came up and wrapped her arms around him. "Thank you my Little Shinji. I know you'll do fine." He melted into his mother's arms, as even after two weeks he still couldn't get enough of them from her. Probably a side effect of his lonely life before. But that hug almost ceased.

"Mother, Shinji isn't little, he is fourteen ..." Putting her finger on her lips, Yui drove home the message to Rei. who then simply nodded. After she released her son, Yui took her daughter to the kitchen for a quick talk on when, where, and what to say at appropriate times. As the two women left the Soryu living room, Shinji sighed, then made his way towards the stairs.

"I might as well see if I can calm Asuka down." As he made his way up, the remaining three left in the living room had various thoughts at Shinji's chances for success and their probable results.

"I hope I don't have to bring out the First Aid Kit". Kyoko rubbed her forehead

"I wouldn't worry Mother, I think Asuka did this just to talk to Shinji, alone." Kaworu then made his way towards the kitchen. Kyoko looked at her son a bewildered look.

Then looked up at the rising figure of Shinji as he made it to the second floor.

(Shinji, and Asuka? Hmmm, maybe, just maybe.) Kyoko then went to her office to finish some paper work. Kaworu then made his way towards the kitchen door.

"Kaworu, what are you doing?" Gendo asked the boy.

"I thought it would be interesting to see what Yui's doing to help Rei.?" he said rather innocently.

"Looks like you and I need to have a talk as well, son." Kyoko had heard Gendo questioning her son, and she guided him to another room to clarify some more social skills for him as well.

This left Gendo alone. So, he helped himself to the small Sake' bar Kyoko had at the corner of the room. "Not to much, or your wife will be pissed." Kyoko's warning caught Gendo in mid-pour, but he saved himself and only had half a bottle.

Upstairs Shinji knocked on Asuka's door. Asuka, c-c-can I come in, please?" He said in his usual staling tone.

"Go Away, Baka, can't you see I want to be alone!" Though Asuka said wasn't what she really felt. She was mad that she had to bust her butt again, this time on the athletic field to prove herself. She was willing to do that in academics, but be some tennis player, or basketball player, and being gawked at by a bunch of perverted boys with one thing on their mind!

Hell no!

"Asuka, We need to talk about this. You know how I feel about Being part of a team and having others depend on me"

You bet your Unit-01 butt I know first hand of your reliability, Shinji, I don't need to be reminded of it now." Shinji, now next to the open door way looked down, visibly hurt by Asuka's words. The girl looked at the boy she had just berated and bit her lip. She had promised herself not to go back to the old ways she used to protect herself from others.

Yet there she was doing it again and to her favorite target. She changed the focus of her ranting so she wouldn't have to apologized.

I just don't want to be put in another situation that I will go gung-ho for, then be disappointed. I just can't do that Shinji, I've gone through enough pressure situations to last several lifetimes."

"Asuka, I have as well, and I think you should give it a shot. I mean maybe there's someone out there who would give you a real challenge." Shinji had been seeing how his mother had played on Asuka's personality.

But Asuka was hiding something from Shinji. Since she came back, she was unusually more patient with him. At first she couldn't figure out why.

[A week before]

Then after a dual family get together, she looked at Shinji who was sitting next to her brother on a park pier, talking. (How Kaworu can get the baka to talk beats me.)But as she stared intently at the pair, she saw how cute and happy Shinji could be his face glowed while talking to his friend, her brother. Then the sun hit his face just right, and he looked like he was enveloped in a glow that went through Asuka's heart. "Damn he's … beautif…"

What is beautiful, Asuka?" asked Rei who sat right next to the now startled redhead.

"Damn it Rei don't sneak up on me, you almost gave me a heart attack." Asuka was holding her hand to her chest getting herself to calm down.

"We are too young to have a heart attack, Asuka. And you still did not answer my question." Rei stared impassively at the flustered German girl.

"None of your business, Rei." Asuka then got up to walk away from Rei.

"Was it Kaworu, or Shinji who was, … beautiful?" Rei was starting at a now livid red-faced Asuka.

"IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS REI!" All the family members were staring at the fiery girl who now with all of them staring ran towards the public bathroom with Kyoko and Yui not far behind.

[Back to the present]

("Damn Baka and his … kindness")

"So you think I can't handle the pressure from a teammate or an opponent in one of those sports teams? Is that what your saying Baka-Shinji?"

"Well Asuka, I'm sure you'd like to prove it, wouldn't you?" (Thanks Mom for helping me to know which buttons to push.) Shinji then stayed quiet as he saw Asuka me come more aggravated. (Oh oh , I'd better inch my way out the …) Thump!

Slap!, "Hey what you do that for?"

"Just because I agree to go tomorrow doesn't let you off the Hook Baka!" Asuka smiled at him in her customary way

It took a few more minutes for Shinji to finally make it down the stairs, where Kyoko and Yui were waiting with the first aid kit at the ready.

"Kyoko, please talk to your daughter, or we'll run out of bandages."

"Oh don't worry Yui, I will have a very clear and concise talk with her tonight." Yui saw where some of Asuka's temper was inherited from. She had a concerned look as she looked at her friend.

"Well don't hurt her too badly now." Yui winked at her friend, as they let the bruised and battered Shinji to the couch to be treated.

Kyoko, then preceded up the stairs, "Let's just say she'll be sitting uncomfortably tomorrow!"

By the end of the day all had been cajoled, convinced and talked to so that there was a final agreement by all four children to take the tour. Well at least two of them weren't too banged up.

________________________________________________________________ ________

A throw, and a run

The next day, Kanoko Mita was asked by Chairwoman Hiumero to take the four Children on a tour of the campus.

Though she kept her cool as they went from venue to venue, She could keep her eyes off Kaworu .

He was tall, lanky and handsome at least to her. And she did stumble a little each time he smiled at her.

He had some inkling on her attention, but he kept on his friendly attitude and kept observing.

The other three picked up on the attention their guide was giving Kaworu.

Asuka was confused as to why any girl would give Kaworu the time of day.

Rei was Simply taking it all in as more information to sift through on human interaction.

Shinji was Happy, knowing that his friend wouldn't just have them as his friends.

Though as he thought about it, he made it a pint to later talk to him about it.

As they made their way through the aquatic center, the boy's school's swim team was practicing, this twinged Rei's memory.

An indoor pool, with her swimming 30 laps every other day.

"I use to swim, before." Rei's statement startled Shinji and Asuka as they quickly realized what she was talking about.

Are, are you sure Rei?" Shinji wanted to confirm what he remembered. Asuka listened intently for her answer as Kaworu and

Kanoko observed the whole scene.

"Do you think she'll pick swimming?" Kanoko whispered.

"I think Rei might, since she likes to be alone . But I think she may see something else she'll like more." Kaworu nodded as Rei

answered.

" I would like to swim, but I'll continue the tour to see what other sporting activities are available." Rei then stared at Kanoko.

She fidgeted then continued the tour.

________________________________________________________________ ________

A new chance

As the group made it to the athletic fields, a ball seemed to come out of no where and rolled up in front of a perplexed Rei Ikari. They all looked up to several figures on a filed that Shinji recognized immediately as a baseball practice field. The players seemed to be waving at them and several yelled "Throw it back!" to the five people, who stared at the players with interest. Kanoko the came back to reality and grabbed tow downed baseball and was ready to throw it when:

"What is the purpose of this athletic activity?" Rei had stepped in front of a surprised Kanoko who stopped her throwing motion in midstride .

"Rei please don't do that again. You nearly made me hit you with the ball."

"Then please answer my question." The enigmatic former Eva pilot asked the daughter of the school's Principal.

They were interrupted by the girls on the field still yelling for the ball.

Then without a hint, Rei grabbed the ball from Kanoko's grasp, and threw it at the center of the field. Ryo Hyakawa was standing on the mound, waiting for all the commotion to from her teammates to subside. When she saw the beeline throw of Rei's come screeching towards her. She reflexively caught it in her glove and winced at the power behind the throw she looked up to see who had thrown it and looked at the group with Kanoko. All except one girl seemed to have their mouths open at the display of athletic prowess that Rei had not shown before. Ryo, then remembered the various things which ended their run for Koshien last year, and being the only pitcher on the team right now,.

She knew that this girl who threw the ball could become another pitcher, with some practice and guidance. That would relieve her of pitching every game the tam played and allow for a better strategy to be used against opposing teams. 'Wonder if she can hit and run?" She thought then she looked to her left side ad made eye contact with Isumi.

The two had buried their differences at the end of last year's loss to the boy's team and had over the year developed a close friendship. Though all the girls had become closer over the time off since their loss at the regionals, her and Isumi had become best friends sharing things that best friends do. One is that silent conversations they have with their eye and body movement, a simple nod and both were off walking towards Kanoko's group.

As they walked they spoke.

"You saw the speed and power of that pitch Ryo." Isumi wanted her friend to confirm what she saw.

"Yeah, and I felt it too, my hand's till stinging from the catch." Isumi simply nodded yes.

"Then, lets go talk to this girl." Ryo replied

Yeah, we might have found a relief pitcher, and more" Ryo nodded as they neared the group with curiosity in all their faces, except Rei, who had her customary emotionless mask on while Kaworu simply smiled. Isumi noticed this and a look of confusion and then realization set in.

"Who is he?" she said to herself

________________________________________________________________ ________

Chapter #4: Teammates, Training and True Feelings

As Ryo and Isumi find out about the Ikari and Soryu children, they find a chance to go back and improve their team, while the ex-Eva pilots find a way to attend Kisaragi and adjust to this new life.