Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Shinji Saotome ❯ Chapter 1 - Where the hell am I? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Ranma or Neon Genesis Evangelion. No money is made of this as far as I know, so if you wanna sue somebody, don't sue me.



Now, I'll try myself at something a little more humorous . …….be afraid…very afraid.

Of my new series: Shinji Saotome

*************************

Chapter 1 - Where the hell am I?


Shinji blinked his eyes several times. He wasn't too sure, but if his memory was any indication he shouldn't be lying around on a lush patch of green grass. In fact, he should be dead by now. The last thing he remembered was being imprisoned inside the 12th angel and that his oxygen-supply was running out.

Not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth Shinji stood up, noting he was still in his plug-suit. The sight that greeted him made the whole thing even more confusing: Before him stretched a valley full of little pools, from each sticking a bamboo-pole. He was right beside one of them. The sun was ascending to the sky, indicating it to be morning; it was late afternoon when he last closed his eyes
`Where the hell am I?' he wondered

**********
2 miles away Ryouga Hibiki sneezed violently

**********

Then something else caught his eye. On top of these poles two figures were engaged in combat, looking for all intents and purposes like they wanted to kill each other. The fact that they were jumping humanly impossible highs didn't escape his notice, but was just another thing to add to his newly started `weird-things-list'

He stood there, transfixed by the sight before him; never had he seen such grace.
`If I could do that…' he trailed of as the boy, he looked around 16, kicked the fat man into one of the pools.



A second later Shinji added flying pandas to his list and his jaw hit the ground.
`Did that guy just turn into a panda?'

Another two seconds later Shinji had only a microsecond's time before the boy slammed into him bodily, both of them tumbling to the ground, stopping only a few feet before another spring.
`I'm hurting all over' Shinji thought.

"Hey, you alright there?" A voice asked and he realized the boy was already standing and offering his hand.

"I think I'm alright, thank you."

********

Ranma was goggling as a panda jumped out of the spring his father had disappeared in, and seconds later he found himself flung away by the attacking Panda, not being prepared for an assault.

Before he could right himself he slammed into something.
Once he had stopped Ranma stood up instantly, seeing he had slammed into another person.
`Geeze, hopefully he's alright!'
"Hey, you alright there?"

Ranma breathed a sigh of relief as his hand was accepted and the boy stood up.
"I think I'm alright, thank you."

However, he didn't have time to give him a second glance, because the next moment the panda kicked him.


With a great splash two male bodies landed in a spring.

Several agonizing seconds later two heads broke the surface. Ranma dragged the unconscious boy out of the spring with himself and looked on confused as some Chinese guy babbled something about curses and springs and then dumped hot water on the confused Panda, turning him back to Genma Saotome.

At first he wanted to punch his father, but then the other guy came to him.
"Very bad young sir. You fall in spring of drowned girl mister. Can reverse with hot water but only temporary till you hit with cold water!"

Ranma grew a horrified expression, and with the greatest caution he opened his shirt.
He looked down…..to find two globes of flesh that weren't there before and to his dismay he found the space between his legs empty.
A wave of emotion crashed into him, sadness, despair, anger, hate.

In the end anger won out and suddenly Genma Saotome found himself chased by a very angry redhead.

The guide shrugged and turned to the other customer. That was strange; Three visitors on one day, highly unusual. The youngest of his customers was clad in some futuristic garb that showed his now well endowed and for the age beautiful FEMALE body.

Shinji looked on as the redheaded girl chased the fat man before he examined himself.
His plugsuit did nothing to hide the changes. He now had a chest bigger then Asuka's and the material felt loose around his groin, clueing him in, that he had gained his chest in exchange for something else. A long strand of dark blue hair drifted past his eyes, indicating that his hairstyle had changed as well.

He would have curled up in a little ball and cried, but he couldn't. He felt numb. Something like this didn't happen. This was magic for god's sake! This wasn't real! There weren't pandas changing into man, or boys changing into redheads, and most of all: No Shinji's turning into stacked girls.

Shinji simply grabbed the kettle form the guide's unresisting hands and dumped the rest of its content over himself. He felt a short tingling sensation, and heaved a sigh of relief as his body felt again like it always did: male.
He decided to wallow in self-pity later; he had too much to worry about right now, to do that.

The guide was surprised by the boys actions, normally the people freaked out when this happened. Oh well, he was probably a strange sort.
"Mr. Customer alright, yes?"

Shinji nodded, understanding the broken Japanese.
"Yes, I think I am. Can you tell me where I am?"

The guide blinked. That was new; most people knew this was Jusenkyo.
"You in valley of cursed springs. Jusenkyo, young sir."

Shinji looked at him dumbly, none of the names making any sense to him.
"Could you be a little more specific? Like what country I am at to begin with."

"You in China honoured sir!"

Shinji groaned. 'This CAN'T be real! I was in my EVA dying, I'm not cursed to turn into a girl and most of all I'm not in CHINA!' he screamed in his head.
Getting a grip on himself and for once not crying like a puppy Shinji addressed the guide again.
"Can you at least show me to the next village where I can get some supplies?"

"Of course, but I think it better you wait for other customers to go with you, no?"

"I suppose so…"

************

Nearly 30 minutes later the redhead and the fat man turned up at the guide's hut, where Shinji was waiting.

The guide quickly explained the curses to all of them again, turning Ranma back to male in the process.

Ranma had clamed down a lot and quickly took notice of the boy sitting in the corner, quietly watching them.
"Um, my name is Ranma Saotome, what's yours?"

Shinji looked up and gave a meek smile.
"I'm Shinji Ikari. Nice to meet you."

Ranma looked down shortly; he hated what he had to do now: apologizing for what he had done.
"I wanted to say sorry for what my stupid pop did, shoving you into the spring and cursing you an all. If we can do anything for you, just say so."

Now normally Shinji wouldn't dare taking anybody up on that offer, but right now, he was stuck in a country he could barely speak the language without any food or money. It didn't take a genius to realize he would probably die if he tried to go back to Japan alone. He may have though himself a waste of human flesh, but he still didn't want to die.
So it was with great relief that he began to speak:" Yes…I…There is something you could do…a few more things actually."

Genma scowled slightly, he didn't like the sound of this.

"You are Japanese right?"

Ranma nodded

"I would like to travel with you...if it isn't too much of an inconvenience for you."

"Of course, that's the least we can do. What else do you need?"

Shinji swallowed.
"I…don't have any food or money…so could you give me a pair of clothes so I can get rid of this thing?" he pulled on his plugsuit for emphasis "You'll get it back once I have the money to buy my own."

Genma frowned even more, this wasn't good at all
"Forget it. Boy lets get moving. That meek puppy over there will just hinder you in your training, let's go!" He said while grabbing Ranma's shoulder.

Ranma would have none of it, and sent his father out of the hut with a kick. He wouldn't let somebody like the boy before him walk around in the wilderness alone. He wasn't a good martial artist, for that he was far too scrawny, but he was nice and he didn't seem to harbour any resentment even though he was cursed because of them. Although Ranma could see he was trained to some degree; Maybe black-belt-level?
His father's actions just angered Ranma, and so he decided to pay him back. A devious grin formed on his face as he turned back to Shinji, who seemed horrified at his father's actions.
"Don't worry about the old fart. You can come with us. Say, are you alone here?"

Shinji nodded. "Yes…my parents…are dead. I'm alone right now."

Ranma winced, that wasn't what he planned. Then he got a new idea and grinned when he saw his father walking in.
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked that."

"It's alright" Shinji said with a sigh "my parents have been dead a long time and I don't have relatives anymore."

Ranma nodded. "I think I have an even better deal for you. How about we adopt you Shinji?"

Shinji sat up straight. Being adopted would be the best thing that could happen to him.
"You would do that?"

Genma was just about to start protesting when Ranma rushed to his side and grabbed him- Then he spoke in a low voice so only Genma could hear him.
"Listen old man! You will adopt him, otherwise I won't go with you anymore, and you can stick your plans up your ass!" he spoke with an uncharacteristic growl in his voice, and Genma decided to abide to his wishes. His son was quite deadly when enraged.
He gave a small nod.
"Ok" he spoke in a small voice, then louder:"Shinij Ikari, I hereby make you a member of the Saotome clan!" `I can always knock Ranma out and leave the boy behind' he thought to himself.

Ranma whirled around and smiled brightly at Shinji.
"How do you like that? This way you don't have to worry about anything."

Shinji stared at Ranma, not quite believing what just happened. He knew there existed some spontaneous people in the world, but this was ridiculous!
When he found Ranma next to him a moment later he grew extremely self-conscious, seeing how Ranma examined him.
"What?"

Ranma looked up and grinned wickedly.
"I was just examining you. You're my brother now, we can't have you looking all scrawny, can we? How about I start teaching you martial-arts?"
Of course, Ranma could see the lad before him had martial-arts training. From what he could see Ranma judged him to be slightly above black-belt level. On the other hand, this was Ranma, and his definition of scrawny was to be used very carefully. Internally Ranma was happy that his newly adopted brother wouldn't start as a total beginner.

"You would do that?"
Shinji on the other hand was, for once in his life, aware of his abilities concerning martial-arts. He also knew that Ranma was worlds away from him, meaning he could probably learn a lot from him. Not that Shinji planned on ever using the learned moves on a person. He hadn't done so with any of the training they gave him at NERV either. In fact, outside of NERV nobody was even aware of the training he received. Shinji only liked martial arts because it was poetry in motion. Ranma and his father had proven that before they got cursed.

"Of course"

"I'd like that very much!"

Ranma's grin got even wider.
"Good! We will start your training today…"

Somehow Shinji had a foreboding sense of doom when Ranma gave him a change of clothes to put on.

*************

All Shinji wanted to do was sit down and rest. His legs hurt like hell and he felt ready to sleep the next three weeks. Right now he was walking next to Ranma, Ranma's father and the guide were walking a few feet before them. The reason he was so dead-tired was the backpack he carried.
The thing had to weight a ton!!
Ranma had given him a backpack with half the stuff he had carried before to "train his legs".

Shinji was already beginning to regret his decision to learn martial arts from Ranma. The worst part though, was that Ranma carried the same weight without any problems. It was frustrating and disconcerting that a human being could carry that much weight like it was nothing.
Right now they had been walking a good two hours and it wasn't looking like they would stop anytime soon.

Ranma was watching with amusement as his new brother was struggling with the weight put on his shoulders. In truth, he was a little impressed. Shinji was currently carrying a good 100 pound for over two hours. By his estimation he should have fallen to the ground a good 10 minutes ago.
`He has got the determination, that's for sure'

Nonetheless Ranma felt bored out of his mind and decided to indulge in some conversation.
"So Shinji, What's your story? I would really like to know how you ended up here in the middle of nowhere. And what's with that suit of yours anyway"

Shinji was caught off guard by Ranma's question. How did you explain to somebody that you where piloting a giant robot the one moment and lying in a meadow in the middle of nowhere the next?
"I..That is…um…."

"Come on, spill it!"

Shinji swallowed. Ranma was right. It was best to just say what was on his mind.
"I..know.. this is going to sound crazy…but I don't have a clue. One moment I was ..um…somewhere…and the next I wake up to find myself here."

Ranma looked at him intently. Even he could tell something was troubling Shinji.
"There's something more, right?"

Shinji sighed; there was no way Ranma was going to believe this.
"Ranma, could you possibly tell me what year we have?"

"Huh? 1996. Why?"

"I…come from the year 2015. In the year 2000 a being called `angel' was discovered in Antarctica. It destroyed the pole in a massive explosion, killing half the population on earth with the resulting flood and earthquakes. In 2014 a new wave of these being attacked earth. The plug-suit I was wearing…..it's needed to sync with the only hope for mankind: EVA. They're giant robots, the only thing with enough firepower to destroy angels. I was a pilot. Before I came here I ….was swallowed by the angel and awaiting ….my death:"
There, finally he got it out.

"Cool! So, you're some kind of superhero on your world, right? Damn, you're a lucky bastard."

Next to Ranma a loud thump indicated that Shinji's facefault was very painful indeed.
The boy groaned and got to his feet, looking crossly at Ranma.
"You've got to be joking me! How can you believe what I just told you?"

Ranma looked confused.
"Why shouldn't I? I mean, we just got cursed to turn…" shudder "...into girls. You coming from another world isn't too far out there, you know?"

Shinji shook his head. How could Ranma deal with something like that so easily? It seemed like nothing fazed him.

"So, tell me, how does it feel to defend humanity?" Came Ranma's query from his side.

Instantly Shinji turned from perplexed to depressed.
"I wouldn't call what I did defending humanity. The only thing I always managed to do was hurt my friends and all the other people. EVA caused nothing but grief for me and my friends from the moment I arrived at Tokyo 3. I hate it; I just want to run from it and never come back!"

Well, that didn't sound at all like Ranma imagined it to be.
"Yet you didn't. Why?"

Shinji was at a loss for words. Why didn't he leave and came back the first time he ran away? To be tortured some more? Because others wanted him to? No, that wasn't it
"I…..don't know…I just wanted to feel needed."

Ranma frowned.
`I think my new brother has a lot of problems to work out.'
"Is that really the only reason? Did you not also come back because you wanted to protect them? To protect humanity?"

Shinji looked at him sadly.
"Is that not the same thing? I wanted to save them, but I just wanted to do it so they could make me feel better! Is that not selfish?"

Ranma stopped walking, forcing Shinji to do so as well.
When Ranma spoke Shinji thought he detected a trace of anger in his upbeat brother's voice.
"Will you stop wallowing in self-disgust and pity? You have saved humanity for god's sake! Give yourself some credit for doing that! And no, it's not selfish if you saved them only because you wanted to be in their company!"
Now his tone softened somewhat.
"It just shows that you care for their company, which in turn shows you care for humanity. It's perfectly normal for you to want them around Shinji. That's what makes us human."

Ranma paused a moment, letting Shinji digest what he had just told him. However, Shinji's spirits lifted only a little bit, so he pressed on.
"Take me, for example. I've been on the road for 10 years with my old man. There are times I want nothing more but to skin him alive, yet I'm still travelling with him. That's why I'm human Shinji, because I need human company, even if it's my dad."

Shinji looked at him with doubt written across his face.
"..Maybe…you're right…maybe it's natural….but…I feel like I could do more for them…I just don't know!"

Ranma laughed heartily and patted Shinji on the back.
"Don't worry about it Shinji. You're a good person, even if you don't realize that. I for sure do, even though I only met you a few hours ago. And it's perfectly normal if you don't know what you can do for them."
Then his face turned serious.
"Just remember: never ever stop trying to make others happy. As long as you do, even if it doesn't work out the way you wanted, you know you're human……because you tried."

Shinji nodded slowly, understanding what Ranma trying to say on a logical level. It was the thought that counted, not if it actually worked out. Feeling a little bit better about himself Shinji gave his new brother a sincere smile.
"Thanks Ranma. I'm glad to have you as my new brother."

Ranma grinned.
"Hey! No problem. What's a big bro there for?"

"Say Ranma…why are you so interested in defending humanity anyway?"

Ranma fixed his father's back with an intense gaze before speaking.
"'It's a martial artists duty to protect the weak who can't help themselves'. That's one of my father's favourite quotes and the reason I'm training to be the best there is. I want others to have a chance at happiness and that's why I'm fighting to become strong. I'm the same as you Shinji. I'm happy when I can help others. You're happy as well when helping others." -The scene of Rei smiling at him after the fifth and him crying tears of joy flashed through Shinji's mind unbidden - "You just haven't realized it yet, I think."

Shinji could only nod dumbly. Maybe Ranma was right. Maybe there was hope for him after all. He hadn't realized it until now, but when scanning his memories Shinji saw it: he had suffered a lot all these months and sometimes all he wanted to do was die……but at the same time he had never felt more alive than these past months. There even where some good moments, something his live had been missing till he came to Tokyo 3. The first time he ran away and came back to be greeted by Misato with open arms came to mind as one example. Yes…maybe he had been blind all this time, drowning the good moments in misery created by his own will.
Shinji smiled bitterly.
`Seems like Asuka was right. I am an idiot sometimes. I think she just never realized how big an idiot I was. Neither did I for that matter!'

The next few minutes where spent in silence.
Ranma glanced at Shinji from time to time, finding him lost in his thoughts.
Contrary to his outward appearances Ranma wasn't oblivious to his surroundings and so he noticed his companions depressive mood earlier rather fast. Ranma knew he was a bit rough and not good with words, but he could hold a serious conversation when somebody needed a shoulder to lean on. That was why he had started conversation in the first place. Well, that and the fact that he had nothing better to do.
He was surprised at his new brother's low self-esteem and decided to do something about that soon. Their first conversation was a good start, but Ranma could tell Shinji had a lot to work through.

Shinji had his own reasons to stay quite. He needed time to ponder the things that where said and to consider his new brother. To say he was baffled at Ranma would have been an understatement. Shinji could honestly say that Ranma was one of the most trustworthy people he had ever met. To tell the truth, Shinji was surprised at himself as well. The things he had told Ranma, he had never told anybody before, not even Misato. He couldn't really say why, but there was a quality to Ranma, that made him easy to talk to.
At first Shinji got the impression that Ranma was a jock, but that had changed immediately. He was a very good listener, which also implied him to be a good observer. His manner and outward appearance indicated otherwise, though.

Shinji silently thanked whatever gods he knew for bringing him together with Ranma….

His back complained about the weight he carried

And Shinji immediately cursed said deities for making him go through Ranma's training.

************************

Another 2 hours later

A short man with Chinese features, a big panda and two beautiful girls walked into the Amazon village.
Yes, you guessed correctly, it had rained half an hour prior.

Shinji turned to Ranma with a sullen expression.
"You know, this new body takes some getting used to."

Ranma nodded.
"Yeah. At least we're real babes like this. "

"And we're still humans and able to talk. I really would hate to end up as little pig or something"

**************************+

In a random town a small black piglet that was cowering in an alley suddenly caught a sneezing fit.
After it calmed out it let of a loud: Bweeeeeee bwee bweee bwe bewewe BWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Roughly translated it meant "Ranma Saotome, This is all your fault!!!!!!!"

Guess who that little piglet is?

****************************

"I don't know Shinji, anything would have been better then being a girl!"

Shinji raised an eyebrow at this statement, but decided to ask about it later. It seemed like he wasn't the only one with a twisted world-view.

The two girls and the panda made their way into the village as the guide walked slightly behind. Shinji took him to the side for a moment to ask him, if he could bring them to the boss of the small village, figuring their chances to get anything the greatest this way.

They reached some kind of communal area where a big log was seen. It was surrounded by a crowd of cheering females, who were watching a girl with lavender hair battling with a female(?) Version of Godzilla.

Shinji watched the fight fascinated, the smaller girls was moving nearly as fluid as Ranma did when he fought
"The small one is good!" he said while turning, only to find the space next to him empty.
He looked a little bit further up to find a table covered with various food to the breaking point. He also saw a sign reading `winner's prize' in Chinese and two figures, one panda and a redhead, moving towards it like starved men. The guide was already lost in the crowd, probably searching for somebody.

His eyes widened. 'They wouldn't!'
A moment later he remembered Ranma saying he hadn't eaten for two days. 'They would! They can't! Who knows what these Amazons do if they eat the first prize!!!!'

Shinji didn't hesitate and ran after them, covering the distance in a matter of seconds.



Genma-panda was just about to stuff the tasty looking chicken into his mouth, when a hand slapped his mouth shut.
The same fate awaited Ranma-chan, who was just now helping herself to some mango.
"Stop it you two!" a frantic voice shouted from behind their backs. "You can't eat this. It's the first prize of this tournament. Who knows what they will do to us."

Ranma looked at Shinji crossly.
"How do you know?"
Shinji pointed over to the sign.
"It's written there! Can't you read Chinese?"
While the two girl-turned boys kept talking, Genma tried to stuff his face, only to be sent flying by a kick.

As Ranma-chan lowered her outstretched leg and muttered something about greedy pandas Shinji-chan could do nothing but shake her head.
"Sorry if I sound rude Ranma, but is your father always such an idiot?"

Ranma gave a tired sigh.
"Unfortunately, yes. You wouldn't believe some of the things that idiot did. The worst part is that I'm the one who has to pay for his mistakes most of the time. Good thing that you're here now. Together we might just be able to keep him in check"




Meanwhile on the log Shampoo defeated her final foe and basked in the glory of her victory.
Needles to say she wasn't at all happy to see two outsider women stand near HER prize.
Narrowing her eyes she jumped off the log and stomped towards them.

She was a mere 6 feet away and still neither of the two girls seemed to pay her presence any heed.
She cleared her throat, causing both outsiders to turn around.
>>What are you doing here? This is my prize, leave it alone!>>



Ranma and Shinji were startled when somebody cleared their throat behind them. Turning around they came face to face with the girl who had been fighting on the log, and judging from the look on her face she wasn't very happy she wasn't very happy to see them.
>>What are you doing here? This is my prize, leave it alone!>> She growled in Chinese.

Ranma looked at her dumbfounded, not understanding one word.

Shinji on the other side understood her quite well, surprising since he hadn't spoken mandarin in real, only for practice. Shinji had also been the target of a certain red-haired girls wrath quite often in the past and didn't plan to add this purple-haired beauty to his `girls who like beating me up'-list. Therefore he was quick to implement his foolproof way of calming her down: apologizing.
>>Sorry, our pet-panda wanted to eat your prize, so we had to boot him away from it. We did not want to intrude.>>

Shampoo seemed not convinced, until said panda tried to sneak its way to the food. A quick swing from her Bon-Bori knocked him out cold.
>>I believe you for now. You should really teach your Panda some manners. Why are you here then, outsiders?>> She said in a neutral tone of voice.

Shinji, seeing that Ranma was not following the conversation in any way spoke on their behalf.
>>We are here in search of supplies. The guide from the valley brought us here.>>

>>valley?? What valley?>>

>>It seems these three are coming from the cursed springs, great-grand-daughter.>> An old and raspy voice said with an edge of humor.

Shinji looked around, wondering where the voice came from. When his eyes came to rest on a small hideous figure that was standing on a gnarled staff he nearly had a heart-attack.
`What is that? A dried up frog with long white hair? Or maybe the top-half of a mummy?'

Ranma was faring no better when he saw the newcomer, but instead of voicing his thoughts about the beings looks he kept quite for once, knowing that it was best to let Shinji handle this.

When Shinji got his bearings back he addressed the old mummy/ghoul.
>>May I inquire who you are?>>

The ghoul cackled.
>>My, my, aren't we polite? I'm Ku Lon, the matriarch of this little village. The guide has told me about your bad luck at Jusenkyo. I take it you would like some hot water right now?>>

Shinji winced. Why was it that everybody he knew was one step ahead of him when he was talking with them?
>> That would be most appreciated elder Ku Lon. May I inquire if you can spare some of your supplies as well?>>

Ku Lon chuckled.
>>Do not worry yourself for the time being child. We may be barbarians in your eyes, but we aren't heartless. Now please follow me. Xian Pu, you may take your prize now!>>

With that the ghoul started bouncing away at astounding speeds.
Shinji and Ranma picked up Genma and followed suit.



Ranma, Shinji and Ku Lon sat around a small table, the former two once again male. Genma was still out cold, and after Ranma's bidding he was chained to a post, just to make sure he wouldn't cause havoc while they were talking.

Ever since they had turned back Shinji and Ranma felt like Ku Lon was mustering them. The glint in her eyes didn't exactly help to calm them either.
"So Sonny Boys, what brought you two to the cursed springs in the first place? It is a place where only fools have no fear to treat."

"Tell that my idiot of a father. It's his fault we ended up in this spring in the first place!"
Now that their conversation was held in Japanese, which Ku Lon seemed to speak quite well, Ranma started adding his two cents where he could.

"These are very harsh words to say, don't you think?" Not that Ku Lon was really surprised while saying that. She had deducted early on, that she had two very interesting specimen before her. Ranma, that was the older ones name, seemed to be the jock of the two, but very well versed in combat. Shinji on the other hand had a lot more patience and a level head. He had some combat training as well, but it wasn't nearly as much as Ranma's. She was of course very interested how such a pair met up. There was something else about Shinji, but try as she might, Ku Lon couldn't put her finger on it. Oh well, it would come to her…eventually.

"As much as I hate to agree with Ranma elder, but his father is an idiot. Ranma and his father crossed China to train at these springs. I just happened to stand in the way when Genma flung Ranma into a spring. Anyway, can we do anything to repay you for your kindness?"

Ku Lon grinned like a shark.
"Well, yes. You have told me that you're martial artists, right? My tribe is holding the art of fighting above all else, so you must understand it would be an honor if you would show us some of your skills. I want you!" She pointed at Ranma "…to have a little match with my great-grand-daughter!"

Ranma's eyes lit up. He could fight! Even if it was against a girl.
"Yes, I'll do it! Of course I'll go easy on her; she's just a girl after all."
"Excellent, it is settled then. Let's go outside and search Xian Pu" With that the trio made its way out the door.

**************

Shinji was watching from the crowd as Ranma and Xian Pu fought on the log, marvelling once again at their abilities.
>>…he loses, so I can try and marry him>>

Now Shinji's mandarin wasn't the best, but he thought the girl next to him had mentioned the fight and marriage in one sentence. Normally he wouldn't have dared asking, but right now Shinji wasn't exactly entitled to act normal. Besides, from the looks the Amazons were giving Ranma Shinji could tell something was up.
>>Um, excuse me miss, but what did you just say?>>

The blue haired girl turned to him, only now noticing his presence.
>>I said I hope your friend loses so I can fight him. That way I will be able to marry him when he beats me>>

Shinji looked at her like she was crazy and tried to detect any trace of humor in her face: None.
>>You're kidding me, right?>>

>>Why should I be kidding? That's the law of our tribe: If an outsider male beats an Amazon in combat she has to take him as her mate. If outsider female beats Amazon in combat she is to be killed. Now stop talking and watch fight.>>

As the girl turned to the fight Shinji goggled at the idea.
"When you beat them they marry you? What crazy nut has come up with that?"
Then he remembered who was currently fighting an Amazon, and his eyes grew wide.
Briefly the idea of knocking Ranma off the log flashed in his mind, but was immediately discarded. Who knew, maybe they killed outsiders interfering in a fight on principal or something.
The next best thing to do was search for Ku Lon.

A quick survey revealed her perched on the other side of the log.
Shinji grit his teeth.' The old crone knew all this! That was why she was grinning like that'.
That thought stuck in his head Shinji made his way through the crowd. He would be damned if he let his new brother down the first day he knew him!

He waded through the ground, his heart beating at a rapid pace. Underway he stumbled upon a stone the size of his fist, and on a whim he took it with him. It would be his last resort. Hurting somebody always was, after all.



On the other side of the log Ku Lon used all her will to keep the grin that was threatening to take up her face at bay. On the log Ranma started to take the upper hand. Soon she would have Ranma as a new member in their tribe, and as her great-grand-daughters husband as well. It was almost too easy like this.

Of course, Ku Lon took everything into consideration. It would have been foolish to tell them of the Amazon laws. Unfortunately, it slipped her mind that somebody else might tell Shinji.
That was the reason the old crone was surprised when Shinji was standing before her the next moment. At his side his fist was clenching and unclenching spasmodically, making the boys anger quite clear.
"Elder, why did you not tell us of this law of yours? If you plan to go through with it, I request that this fight is stopped now!"

Ku Lon looked at him with silent laugher in her eyes.
"I didn't tell you because you didn't ask. I can't stop the fight now, that would be quite…inconvenient. I also won't revoke the law. All you can do is watch. To tell you the truth, I'm impressed with your reasoning. Most youths try to go with their head through the wall. However, your brains won't stop your friend from winning.."

Shinji smirked.
"Quite sure of ourselves elder, aren't we?"
Then he turned around. `Forgive me Ranma' ..and hurled a stone into the raging fight.

Ku Lon nearly fell from her staff, when the stone arced its way over to Ranma.


Ranma was having the time of his live while fighting Xian Pu. However, he knew he would win with his next kick. Xian Pu swung at him with one Bon-bori, missing him. Her other weapon was still far away, and both fighters knew she had lost when Ranma's foot neared her midsection with full power……

*CLONK*

Ranma fell from the log, knocked out cold.
Xian Pu blinked. Wasn't she supposed to be flying in the air?
A stone hit the ground next to Ranma.

Over 100 pairs of eyes blinked in sync and looked into the direction the stone came from.

When Shinji saw the Amazons turn to him he swallowed….hard.
`I'm so dead'

It's quite understandable that he was surprised when they started cheering.
"Elder? Why are they cheering? Shouldn't they be trying to gut me or something?"

"Why should they? Now that you have ended his fight with my great-grand-daughter they have a chance at marrying him by fighting him as well.. I must say I'm surprised you did that. Surely it has crossed your mind that maybe we had special laws for interrupting fights?"

"Yes. But I have a debt to repay, and keeping Ranma out of trouble is the best way of doing so. So, are you going to keep your word? Can we leave now?"

Ku Lon heaved a sigh.
"It pains me to say yes, but I hold my word. It was a pleasure meeting you two. Now get your friend and that useless father of his and leave. I don't think you want to stay here."
She punctuated her last statement by waving her hand over the bunch of girls that was daydreaming of `their new love'.

*********************

Not 15 minutes later Ranma, Shinji and a now awake Genma were walking away from the village.

"You know Shinji, next time I fight please don't throw any stones at me."

Shinji sputtered
"But Ranma….I … I'm telling the truth…if you had won she would have had to marry you! Believe me!"

Ranma grinned.
"Hey, take it easy bro. I believe you, Ku Lon told us the same after all. I wonder why pops was so eager to get out of there when she mentioned the marrying thing."
His grin turned into a slight frown.
"Hopefully he hasn't done something idiotic again. For him to forgo free food and only take as much as he can carry something has to be up."

Shinji nodded. Genma was awfully jumpy when he heard that whole `marry-who-defeats- you' deal.
"So Ranma, where are we going now anyway?"

Ranma shrugged and shouted, so his father could hear him.
"Hey pops, where are we going now?"

"To Nerima in Tokyo. We will visit an old friend of mine!" '...and engage you to one of his daughters, but that's just an unimportant detail. Hehe'

*********************

Later that day in Ku Lon's hut.

>>Elder, the older man said they would go to Nerima in Tokyo.>>
Ku Lon nodded.
>>That's all I wanted to know Lotion. You can go now, thanks for your services.>>
As the young scout left her hut Ku Lon grinned, marring her already hideous features even more.
`It seems our next husband-hunt will be in Nerima Tokyo. I look forward to our next meeting Shinji and Ranma. We will see who walks away the winner the next time. You can't escape forever!'





End chapter 1

*********************

Author's notes:

Well, that's the beginning of my new story. How did you like it? Please drop of a review. Spend a few minutes for that little favour after you have gone to the trouble of reading through this.

For all those who are wondering: I am still working on WOTW. In fact, I have already finished the fourth chapter, but I wanted to wait till my pre-reader has gone trough the whole story once before posting again.
However, since he's taking his time, I'll post this little idea. That means all the mistakes in there are mine alone.

Hopefully it's a little better than WOTW, although I doubt it. I have already noticed that Shinji is a little OOC in this first chapter, but it isn't easy to keep such a serious character IC when he is thrown in such a happy go lucky world like Ranma's.