Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Shinji Saotome ❯ Chapter 2 - Welcome at the Tendos ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*******************

Chapter 2 - Welcome at the Tendos

6 weeks later - the streets of Nerima

The citizens of Nerima were used to weird things, Nerima being a district of loonies and all, but the sight that greeted them right now made them uneasy. It was like the three figures walking through the streets were harbingers of chaos, and everybody steered clear of them.

The three figures consisted of two beautiful girls, one with red hair bound in a pig-tail and one with dark blue hair that was hanging loosely.
What made the citizens of Nerima queasy though, was the big Panda following them.

"I swear. I'm gonna kill that panda someday! Why can't we just visit mom instead of going to this old friend of his? I wanna know what he's up to!" the redhead said while trotting down the street.

"I don't know Ranma. Let's hope we can warm ourselves up by this friend of his. Okay, now this direction, then we should walk right by his house. I…."

Ranma noted his companion's sudden halt.
"What is it Shinji? Something wrong?"

"Yes. I think it is best, if your dad stays behind for a while. I don't think the Tendos will react very well to a Panda walking into their home. Maybe we should explain the curses to them before he walks in?"

"No! I don't want everybody to know about that!"

Shinji rolled his eyes. He had been together with Ranma six weeks, and they had the same argument about 10 times. He would say they should explain the curses, Ranma would say he wanted nobody to know. In the end, Shinji always won with better arguments, but he had to admit it was getting old. Then again, he could understand, at least partly. It seemed Genma had instilled into Ranma that girls were weak; therefore turning into one wasn't desired.
It would probably take quite some time to break Ranma out of this.
"Ranma, what did I tell you the last time we had this argument? They will find out eventually. And they will feel betrayed if you try to hide it!"

Ranma instantly sagged into himself. He couldn't understand how Shinji always managed to gain the upper hand in any kind of argument.
"Okay, I'll shut up now. You go to them and tell about the curse, I'll keep pop busy."

"hey, Ranma…." Shinji was already too late. The redhead was already in mid-kick, aiming for the Panda behind them. They began fighting in the open street, leaving Shinji standing there.
`These two. Can they go one day without fighting? Probably not.'
Then he began walking down the street
He stopped in front of a large wooden gate, proclaiming "Tendo dojo" on a sign above.
Shinji swallowed and walked in.
`I hate dealing with strangers. How could Ranma do this to me? He knows I'm no good with talking!'

***********************

A few minutes earlier in the Tendos' living room

"….And made a pact with Genma to unite the schools. Therefore one of you will be Ranma's bride! They should be arriving sometime today." A middle aged man with moustache said excitedly.

The reaction from his daughters was rather immediate.
"You WHAT???" screamed Akane Tendo.

"…………….." Was all Nabiki Tendo could say, wither jaw firmly implanted in the wooden floor.

"Oh my". Kasumi's always present smile slipped a little at hearing that, but quickly found back to its usual fullness

Nabiki, being the first to recover thought it over a moment and came to the conclusion that maybe this wasn't so bad. Her being commonly known as the `Ice Queen' didn't make getting a boyfriend very easy.
"Is he cute daddy?"

Soun gave her a meek smile.
"I...don't know?"

"What do you mean you don't know? Haven't you met him before?"

Soun grinned stupidly at them.
"No. he has been on a ten year training-trip. I have never seen him. All I know is that he is an incredible martial artist."

At that point Akane's temper boiled over and she vented her anger by screaming:
"How can you engage us to some perverted boy you have never met before?"

After Akane's outburst Kasumi added her two cents
"I hope he isn't too young. Younger men are boring"

At that point someone knocked on the front door.

Nabiki and Soun were two blurs as they moved to the front porch.
Soun flung the door open, prepared to give his old friend a bear hug, only to stop short when there was no Genma outside. Instead his gaze fell onto a girl that he guessed to be around 15 that had long dark-blue hair. In fact, the shade looked almost like Akane's.
He took a moment to collect himself before he addressed her.
"Who might you be Miss?"

Nabiki looked on curious and caught the girl flinch when her father had asked her.




Shinji swallowed his nervousness.
"Are you Soun Tendo?"

The man with the moustache nodded.
"Yes, that would be me."

"Good. I presume you have gotten a postcard from Genma Saotome?"

Soun was immediately concerned for his friend's wellbeing. You could already see the tears forming in his eyes, preparing to cry for his friend.
"Yes, I have. Why? Has something happened to him?"

Shinji let out a sigh.
"Do not worry yourself Mr. Tendo. He and his son are alright. I'm merely here to prepare you for their arrival. If I may come in? I have to show you something."

Now Nabiki decided to get into the conversation.
"Oh? And who are you? Why should we believe you?"

The girl shrunk under her gaze, but answered anyway.
"Do not worry Miss Tendo. I will do you no harm. As for who I am….I'm Ranma's…brother, Shinji"

Nabiki narrowed her eyes. Who did that girl think she was kidding, with that rack in front of her?
"Yeah right! If you are his brother, then care to explain how you got these?"
To emphasize her query she poked the girl's breast.

Shinji flinched away.
"I..can explain…please…just give me a chance"

That moment something rare happened. Soun Tendo found his spine for a moment and shushed his daughter, seeing how she made the girl nervous and invited the stranger into his home. He didn't really get the brother part, but never let it be said that Soun Tendo was a bad host.

************************

5 minutes later

Kasumi came out of the kitchen and handed Shinji the requested kettle with hot water.
"So…can you now tell us what happened, that you were sent ahead to explain?" A still very suspicious Nabiki asked.

Shinji took a deep breath to calm her nerves, knowing she would sound like a loony.
"We were at a place called `the cursed springs'. It's a small valley located in a mountain-range deep within China. The valley is littered with hundreds of small springs. Fact is, when something drowns in a spring, the next person to fall into it will automatically change form to that of the thing that drowned first. I came here first because all of us got cursed. I and Ranma turn into girls when hit with cold water, that's why I'm currently looking like this. My father turns into a giant Panda, so I thought it wise to inform you before bringing him here."
Shinji ended her tale and waited for reactions. As she had predicted, they weren't very positive.

"You really think we will believe this bull?" Nabiki said derisively

"My, it is not very proper to lie at somebody Shinji-kun!" Guess who that was?

"As much as I would like to believe you, we need prove." The youngest Tendo was rather calm about all this, mainly because she believed the girl before her had hit her head to hard. But that wasn't her fault, so she tried to be polite about it and help her out.

Soun was the last to speak. His voice held a great deal of agitation.
"Is it true? You actually found the cursed springs? To think my old friend Genma got cursed at this place shrouded in misery! And what about the schools? With you and Ranma being girls we can't fulfil the pledge.
Oh. WHAT A MISERY!!!!!!!" Soun broke down crying, using wail #567 (my best friend turned into a Panda) and #568(Because my best friend has now two daughters the schools won't be joined) with equal measure.

Next to him Shinji sweatdropped. 'Is that guy for real? And what was that about marriage?'
Ignoring the crying man Shinji took the kettle into her right hand and held it over her the other.
"I have proof of my story. You see, hot water reverses the effect, bringing the victim back to his or her original body."

When she finished the sentence the girl dumped the contents of the kettle onto her hand.
Long flowing blue hair shrank back to be replaced by a mob of brown. The strain on the red silk shirt's front disappeared as a well rounded female chest transformed into a quite flat male chest. Contours softened and features changed.

All the Tendo-girls goggled at the BOY sitting before them now. He stared back at them from midnight-blue eyes, wondering, waiting.
"You…You..how….you are a boy!" Said a shocked Akane.
"Oh my!" isn't that line getting rusty Kasumi?
"How did you do that?" Nabiki questioned, already wondering how she could make profit of this.

Shinji smiled weakly.
"I know, it's a lot to take in, but this is for real. I…."

"…..Will you stop it you stupid Panda. If Shinji hasn't explained himself they will freak"
The next moment a big panda came waling into the living-room. A red bundle was thrown over its shoulder, secured with chains.

Suddenly Nabiki could see the wisdom in sending Shinji ahead. In any other situation she would have run screaming for the hills when confronted with the sight of a menacing looking Panda, but because of Shinji's warning she could stay put and remark in a dry voice :"I take it this Panda and his unwilling load are your father and Ranma?"

"Yeah, that would be them…"Then addressing the newcomers "Here's some hot water to change back"

The Panda eagerly took the offered kettle and doused itself and the redhead that was now trashing around on the floor. Before the Tendos' eyes a panda turned to a bald overweight man, and a cute red-head turned into a well-built boy. This had the side-effect of snapping the chains that were now to tight-fitting for his form.

When Soun saw his old-friend he drew him into a bone-crushing hug.
"Saotome old friend. How long it has been. I'm saddened by your fate. To think you got cursed…."
The man released his hug on his friend and drew Ranma in.
"But our problem isn't so bad, if you are still half male. I'm so happy to see you Ranma"
Before Ranma could say anything the deranged man dragged him to the table and kept rambling.
"Here are my daughters: Kasumi, she's 19. Nabiki, 17 and Akane, 16. Choose one and she will be your fiancée"

Finally Soun stopped, giving Ranma a moment to digest what was said.
`fiancée?????' It echoed in his head. His brows furrowing Ranma turned to his father.
"..POP!"

Genma swallowed nervously.
"…Now, do nothing you will regret later Ranma."

"WHAT. DID. YOU. DO. THIS. TIME?" If looks could kill, Genma would have died a gruesome death at Ranma's eyes that moment.

Seeing as his son was readying to kick his ass Genma spoke as fast as he could.
"Um, well. Tendo and I made a pact to unit the families."
Ranma's fist was already on the way….
"You have to uphold honour and marry one of his daughters."
…and stopped a few scant millimetres in front of his face. Genma was sweating bullets.
"Now who do you chose?"

Still sitting on the table Shinji frowned. He knew why Ranma had stopped: Genma said the h-word. Shinji had noticed early on, that Ranma held honour above all else. That wasn't a bad thing since it meant he would try to do the right thing at all times.
What was bad, was that Genma knew this. His new father was constantly badgering his son with loss of honour for one thing or another and managed to keep Ranma on a leash that way.
That meant it was his turn to help Ranma out. Normally he wouldn't say anything, but Ranma had told him a hundred times the past months that it was a martial artist's duty to help those who couldn't do it themselves and right now Ranma needed help desperately.
"Don't you think this should wait a little bit? Why engage Ranma to one of them only to see later it doesn't work out. Wouldn't it be better to let them get to know each other before deciding who becomes engaged? "

Opposite of Shinji, Nabiki caught onto the younger boys plan to stall time.
She was already in the process of shoving Akane to the front and stopped. Maybe together they could stall. Not that she was opposed to being engaged to a male Ranma. The guy was seriously cute, after all. But the fact that he turned into a redheaded girl freaked her out a little bit too much.
"I think he's right daddy. It's best to get to know our would-be fiancée before we decide who will marry him"

Soun and Genma looked at each other, weighing the pros and cons of what they had been told.
"I think Nabiki is right Saotome. Let's wait till the children know each other a little better. For the time being all of you can stay at our home, that way your son can have time with each of my daughters."

Seeing as he would be housed by Soun, Genma didn't have a problem with the arrangement for now. He made a small not in the back of his head to go a little harder on Shinji the next day for being too intelligent for his own good. If the little ingrate hadn't said anything Ranma would have been engaged this day. Of course, Genma conveniently forgot all the other promises he had made while he thought this.
"Very well. I too think that is the best course of action."

With the engagement taken care of, the group quickly dispersed. Kasumi stood up to prepare the meal and get the guestroom ready. Nabiki walked upstairs and muttered something about `freeloaders are gonna eat us out of or home' and Sound and Genma quickly set up a shogi-board and started playing.
That left Akane together with the two boys. She would have dismissed both of them as perverts because of the fact that they turned into girls, but since they were guests she decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. Shinji seemed nice enough…for a boy. Ranma, she couldn't really tell.
Not liking the silence that was ensuing she spoke up: "So, you do karate, right?"

Both boys nodded.

"Wanna spar?" She asked eager to test her skill. Of course, she knew she would win, but she had to know how good they were, right?

Ranma looked at her dubiously, but before he could say anything insulting like `why should I spar you? It's not like you stand a chance', Shinji cut in.
"We…we would like that very much. Right Ranma?"

"Yeah whatever. Let's go."

***************

5 minutes later

Akane and Shinji were facing each other from about 6 feet away. Ranma stood on the sidelines to watch.
"Okay you guys. Anything goes. First one to lose consciousness or give up loses! FIGHT!"

When Ranma finished both combatants stood still, neither moving an inch. Their expressions differed widely, though.
The nervousness was plain on Shinji's face, which wasn't surprising. He was going up against someone who practiced the same school as Ranma. That meant the girl before him was probably way over his head, although her appearance indicated otherwise. Shinji decided to abide his time and wait, better safe then sorry after all. The fact that Ranma had forced him to fight her didn't help matters at all.

Opposite of the 14-year-old Akane was already picturing her victory in her mind. She saw that the boy was nervous and decided to go easy on him. He had been nice up till now, after all. That in mind she opened the match.

When Shinji saw the incoming opening-punch his nervousness evaporated as it did every time when he fought.
Now totally focused on the fight at hand he dodged the first strike by leaning to the side.

Akane frowned as the boy simply leaned to the side to evade her strike, and quickly brought up her leg for a sidekick.

Again, Shinji avoided being hit by jumping over it.
This continued for a while and slowly but surely Akane was getting frustrated. Her punches and kicks became faster and stronger with each miss and Shinji found himself having problems to dodge them all.

Watching the two fights Ranma couldn't help but frown. Shinji wasn't attacking his opponent again. That was a common occurrence and understandable when his opponent was weaker then himself, but Ranma could tell Akane was better then Shinji, if not by much. He himself hadn't fought her because he knew he would have won without problems…..and because he still didn't like fighting girls.
The teen shook his head at his friend's attitude. On the one hand Shinji wanted to learn martial arts, but on the other the boy couldn't hurt a fly. He only fought all out when sparring with somebody he knew was better than him. Ranma just wondered when the boy would realize his opponent was better and start hitting back.


Meanwhile Akane had worked herself into full blown anger and was swinging at Shinji with everything she got, which helped only to make her style more sloppy and predictable.

Shinji had been hit a few times and felt his body giving way. Not to mention that very hit hurt like hell and was wearing thin his pain-threshold pretty fast Now sure that Akane was indeed his better in the art he exploded outward and struck one of the many openings the girl left.

Akane had only time to blink once as Shinji broke through her nonexistent defences and struck her three times in a row. Akane being totally unprepared for his change of tactics the boy got in even more hits and in seconds it was over. A punch into Akane's solar plexus and she was out cold.

Shinji looked at the girl shocked. "How…why…I…..beat her?"
How that possible? He knew she was better, but when he attacked her Akane's defences where non-existent.
Suddenly a hand fell on his shoulder.
"Well, Shinji. Seems like you won. I must say I'm kind of surprised. Akane has a good offence, but her defence is laughable. Come on, let's get her into the house and lay her down somewhere. You did quite a number on her!"

Shinji flushed as he took the girls right arm, while Ranma took the other.
"I didn't mean to….I just….she…..sorry:" He stammered and hung his head.

Ranma chuckled, now used to the apologetic ways of his brother.
"It's alright Shinji. Stop apologizing already. You couldn't have known. And if you really feel the need to apologize, then apologize to Akane not me. Now let's go.."

*******************

Ranma and Shinji entered the living room just as Kasumi walked out of the kitchen with a tray of tea.
When the pseudo-housewife saw the slumped over Akane her smile lost just a touch of it radiance and a dainty "Oh my! What happened to Akane!" escaped her lips.

That, of course alerted Soun to the situation and being the protective father he didn't hesitate to deploy his ultimate attack: the demon-head.
His head grew to 10 times its size and fire seemingly roamed his body as he turned to the newly entered boys.
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BABY RANMA!!!!!!!!???????"

Said boy was clinging to the ceiling when Soun ended his sentence, leaving Shinji alone on the ground with Akane. However, Shinji wasn't the least bit intimidated by Soun's appearance. How could he, with his head bowed low in shame.
"I want to apologize for hurting your daughter mister Tendo. Ranma had nothing to do with it. I…have just misjudged a move while we sparred."

Of course, such an admission didn't exactly help calming Soun down. While he was impressed by Shinji's politeness the boy still hurt his daughter (the fact that it was unwillingly and in a sparring match totally escaped his notice).
"HOW COULD YOU DO THAT: YOU HAVE ONLY BEEN HERE ONE DAY AND HAVE ALREADY HURT MY DAUGHTER!WHO GIVES YOU..."

Shinji clenched his eyes shut and tried to block out Soun's berating.
Why was it always his fault? Couldn't he really go without hurting somebody? Now he had probably ruined the bond between the families as well and all just because of him!
God how he wanted to cry at the unfairness of it all! He felt like an ant that was about to be stepped on.
`RUN AWAY' was all that his mind was screaming at him, and he probably would have then and there.
But then he remembered the girl in his arms and firmed his resolve.
His free hand clenched into a fist as he forced himself to ignore Soun to take Akane to the couch.
He owned the girl at least that much. Besides, Ranma would probably pound him to death if he dropped her on the floor.



When Shinji started clenching and unclenching his fist Ranma started to worry. He had seen the boy do this once before when his father had berated him for some silly thing and afterwards he had to search for the boy six hours because he had run off. While the talk they had after that ordeal had helped to make the younger boy he shouldn't blame himself for everything, he still tended to take the blame when somebody berated him intensively.
THIS was more then intensively.

Before Ranma could react his brother had already reached the couch, disposed of Akane and ran out the door as Ranma had predicted.


The next moment it was Soun's turn to cower as Ranma lifted him off the ground, grabbing the front of his shirt.
The young man was glaring at him with eyes of ice cold blue.
"What did you go and do that for, huh? It was just a sparring match and both of them knew the risk. Heck, your daughter isn't even seriously hurt. Shinji only hit her the last five seconds! Do you even know what you just did? You made Shinji believe he's lower than scum with this little tirade of yours! NEVER EVER dress him down over something this meaningless or you will regret it. You maybe my father's friend, but no one messes with Shinji."
Not even waiting for an answer from the gaping Soun Ranma dropped him on his backside and dashed out the door in search of Shinji.

Soun turned to Genma with a stupefied look.
"Genma, what was that all about? He hurt my baby, didn't he? Wasn't it my right to reprimand him?"

Genma sighed.' This is going to take a while'
"No, Soun, it wasn't right. Ranma said it, it was only a sparring match. But that isn't the point. I bid you old friend don't do that again. While I admit freely that Shinji is not the best martial artist or very manly, he is one of the nicest persons that walk on earth. Problem is, he is also somebody who takes anything very seriously. You accusations have probably hurt him very deeply. This has happened once before, when I did the same thing to him. Ranma took six hours to find him afterwards, a sobbing wreck if I ever saw one. So, please try to keep it down around him. While I may not be the best father or man I do not want to be at fault when his fragile mind shatters." And indeed, what Genma had spoken was the truth. He did not want to see Shinji gone. While he had disapproved of the idea of Shinji travelling with them, he had come to like the boy. That had several reasons: He didn't complain about any training he was put through and did as he was told, not like his other disrespectful son. Second, Shinji turned out to be a very good cook and had sustained them quite well on their trip. Third, it was really enjoyable to train the boy since his gift for the art nearly rivalled Ranma's. Of course, last but not least Shinji was his trump card in the joining of the families, if Ranma backed out.

Soun contemplated his friend's wise words and nodded to himself. Maybe he had really overreacted a bit and if what Genma said was true he would watch his tongue around Shinji from now on.

Immediately after Soun finished thinking he started wailing, using wail #569(I have just unintentionally caused the son of my best friend great inner turmoil. I'm such an evil man, please shot me now)

Fortunately for him now one in Nerima was able to understand what the wail meant, otherwise Soun might have just been dead the same day.

************

Ranma was travelling the streets of Nerima at high-speed, cursing Shinji for his incredible stamina when it came to running.
He had been looking for his wayward brother nearly 20 minutes now.
Crossing over a small bridge Ranma thought he heard something and stopped to listen.
Listening closely the young martial artist could make out the faint noise of someone sobbing, something a normal person wouldn't have heard.
`Well' He thought dryly `Seems like I found you Shinji!'
Without hesitation he jumped over the ledge and landed soundlessly behind the form of his brother.
Waiting for a reaction and not getting any Ranma started to speak.
"You need to come back, you know?"

The voice came unexpected and made Shinji jump, realizing it was Ranma he settled down again though.
"But Ranma….I …hurt …her…I can't go back. Haven't I destroyed the bond… between your families enough…. by my actions. Mr. Tendo is going to kill me!"

Ranma sighed, he had this discussion before and he hated it now as much as he did back then.
"Shinji stop worrying over something so meaningless! Akane was hurt in a sparring match. That's perfectly normal and happens all the time."
He put his hand on Shinji's shoulder to stop him from interrupting.
"And no, it's not your fault at all. You have to stop taking the blame for everything and stand up for yourself sometime. If anything Akane is the one to blame for giving you such an opening. You're the friendliest person I know ad we both know you wouldn't ever hurt somebody willingly. And no, Mr. Tendo won't kill you. He has just overreacted a bit. So cheer up and let's get back."

Shinji swallowed hard and wiped away some tears. He knew full well that Ranma was right, but he just couldn't help himself.
'sometimes I'm a real pansy…' he belittled himself in his mind. `…but with Ranma around I can get better'
And he believed every word he thought. Ever since he met Ranma things had been looking up in his live. The older boy was always there for him and had a way of cheering him up, that no one else had.
He gave Ranma a meek but sincere smile
"Thanks bro. I really have to stop and think about things a bit more sometimes, but with you around that isn't a problem."
That said he gave Ranma a tight hug, which Ranma was totally unprepared for.

Awkwardly Ranma returned the hug, not very comfortable with the closeness they shared but knowing full well that Shinji needed it.

After a few moments Shinji pulled back and smiled
"Thanks, I needed that, now lets……"
*SPLASH*
"…go back" finished a drenched Shinji-chan.

"Figures!" snorted a now female Ranma.

They looked at each other…and broke down laughing. Somehow their curses had the annoying habit of creeping up at the most…inappropriate of times.



The old lady who had dumped the contents of her bucket over the bridge was left wondering why the two girls were laughing their heads off after getting splashed with dirty water.

********************

20 minutes later the two stinking teens entered the Tendo home, both of them still in their female forms.
When Soun saw Shinji entering he immediately stormed to his side and caught the poor boy in a bear hug.
Genma used this to put a few of his stones on the shogi board to a better position.
"I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry!!!! I didn't mean to yell at you Shinji, but I was so concerned for my youngest daughter, you must understand!"
Somehow Soun managed to say all this while crying up a small river, further drenching Ranma and Shinji.
After Soun released Shinji the 14-year-old could only gape at the man's behaviour.
Was this guy for real? To think he had broken down crying because of this man! Shinji immediately decided that Soun was fitting into the category of emotional loony and that he shouldn't take the man for full all the time.

Then he noticed that Akane wasn't lying on the couch anymore and his caring side came to the forth again.
"Is Akane alright Mr. Tendo?"

Soun stopped his crying for a moment.
"Yes, in fact she is already back at the dojo to practice some more. I think her defeat has wounded her pride. Do not worry anymore son."
He took a sniff of the air and noted (for the first time no less!) that Ranma and Shinji were girls and stinking like hell, showing his incredible perception skills once again.
"You should worry about Kasumi instead. She doesn't like stinking people at her dinner-table. I would advise you to take a bath; the furo is on the second floor, I'm sure you'll find it yourself. Your things are already in the guest-room."

Now made aware of their appearances Ranma and Shinji looked at each other.
"We really need a soak" Ranma remarked and started up the stairs, Shinji close behind him.

***************************

30 minutes later

Akane walked into the house sweat running down her head. She felt like she could fall asleep right there, but knew she had to take a bath before dinner.
She had worked herself to exhaustion the last hours to get rid of her frustrations. The defeat at Shinji's hands could have been nothing but a fluke, she was sure of it, but it was better to be safe then sorry.
When thinking about Shinji she couldn't help but growl. He seemed like such a nice guy but then he …he had the damn nerve to beat her, HER, in a sparring match.

Angrily Akane turned the doorknob and walked into the dressing room of the bath. She quickly began dressing down, her mind still occupied.
`Just you wait. I'll show these two….boys…what a real martial artist can do. Tomorrow I will paste them both! They should know that it was just a fluke!'
As it was, Akane didn't notice the clothes that had been place on top of the stool in the dressing room, nor did the girl take notice of the `occupied'-sign that was hanging on the sliding door leading to the bathing area for the entire world to see.

So nothing stopped her to slide the door open….

************************

Ranma and Shinji were both relaxing in the furo, conversing quietly.

"So Shinji, what do you think about the Tendos?"

"I'm not really sure. Akane seemed nice enough at first, but she seems easily angered, kind of like Asuka. Kasumi seems really nice at the first glance. Nabiki? I can't really tell. "

Ranma nodded. He had made the same observations (yes, he was actually noticing what other people were like; he just tended to ignore it most of the time).
"Whom do you think I should pick as my fiancée?" he asked nonchalantly.

Shinji looked at his brother baffled.
"You really intend to go through with this, don't you? How can you be so accepting of this situation? It isn't like you ever agreed to anything, so it's not your obligation to fulfil the pledge. I mean, come on, arranged marriage is kind of out of the fashion in this place and time. Besides, marrying for no other reason then satisfying honour is just not right."

Ranma put his head into his hands. This was, what?, the tenth time they had this discussion about honour this month.
"You don't understand Shinji! I can't just stand up and leave. I would loose the only thing I have left, my honour. I would probably be cast out of the clan and become a ronin. I would be a nobody!"

Shinji grinned. Ranma was using the same old arguments as always, something that was easily used against him after all this time. For a moment Shinji wondered how they had gotten so close to each other in such a short time, that he would actually argue with Ranma openly. Had it been anybody else Shinji would have simply let it go, but he knew Ranma was listening to what he said, even though he didn't exactly follow his advice. Casting these idle thoughts aside Shinji continued their recent debate.
"So What? You have been on the road all your live, living of the land. What would be different if you got cast out of your clan? Ranma, we both know that I'm right about this. We had this discussion often enough. It's alright to have honour, but you shouldn't let yourself be pressured into something you know is wrong because of honour."
Ranma didn't look any more convinced than last time they had talked about this.
"Oh forget it. I won't change your viewpoint anyway, will I. Tell you what, Mr. Tendo and Genma have already agreed to wait for you to get to know them. Why don't you do that, and if we're lucky, you really fall in love with one of them and live happily ever after. If not……we will find a way out of this."

Ranma considered Shinji's words and nodded his consent. Who knew, maybe Shinji was right?

Both of them lay there a few more minutes before standing up to get dried up.
Ranma was just about to put his foot down on the tiled floor……
……when the door slid open, revealing an equally naked Akane.

The three teens stared at each other for a loooooooooong moment, before Akane closed the door slowly.



Seconds later a loud scream was heard outside the door.
"That went well" Ranma remarked dryly, only to see Shinji holding his nose to stop the blood-flow.

Shinji just wondered why his live became so much chaotic since he met Ranma….and why the older boy didn't get a nosebleed.

******************

Dinner was a surprisingly silent affair. Everyone shared a silent meal with Genma always trying to steal food from Ranma's and Shinji's plate. The Tendos decided to ignore this politely, now used to the weird behaviour of the three Saotomes. Of course, Shinji had to get several helpings during the meal since he wasn't proficient enough to block all of Genma's attacks.
All through dinner Akane glared at the two boys with enough force to burn a hole through them. Ranma ignored it and Shinji wondered when the girl would calm down. Her temper was nearly as bad as Asuka's and he was sure if they hadn't been guests she would have long since pasted them.

When dinner was over Shinji congratulated Kasumi to a perfect meal and offered his help in the kitchen, which was gladly accepted.

That left Ranma alone with the rest.
"Boy, you will go to school form tomorrow on. You will be in Akane's class and Shinji will go to the same school as well." Genma said in his high-n-mighty-voice.

That comment was enough to set Akane off.
"I will not go to school with that…that…pervert!"

Ranma retaliated in kind. Open mouth, insert foot.
"Do you think I want to go to school with a flat-chested macho chick like you?"

*CRASH*

"ow…that hurt" Came Ranma's muffled reply from under the remnants off the table that had been smashed over his head courtesy of Akane.

More incidents of this kind were prevented since Akane retired to her room shortly afterwards (more like stomped up the stairs and slammed the door shut).

It wasn't long before it was time to retire and soon the all occupants of the house were sleeping peacefully, resting to face the challenges of the next day……



End chapter 2

*******************

Author's notes:
Phew!, another chapter done.
You can see this as my Christmas-present for all of you.
Hopefully I managed to capture the feel of both series to some degree.
Balancing the serious undertone of EVA and the funny undertone of Ranma ain't easy.

Since you have read all of this please go to the trouble of spending two minutes to tell me how I did. That way I can eliminate mistakes before they become to glaring and my next chapter will be even better.

mastermage