Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A Love Can Shine to Protect its Children ❯ In the mists ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
He looked through the glass at the girl on the other side," Is that her, Misato?"

"Yes, it is Shinji," Misato replied, her gaze never leaving the girl.

"She is so..."

"Perfect," Misato finished. "So this is the girl. The girl with the prophetic dreams."

Shinji's pressed his hands to the glass and studied the girl. Her long golden hair fell across her shoulders. Her ice blue eyes were locked on the table, never lifting for a moment. Her posture was that of royalty, though she was far from it. Her hands were folded in front of her. Her nails perfectly manicured. She wore a simple white dress, its sleeves hung all the way to her long elegant fingers.

Shinji studied the girl's ice blue eyes. There was something there. He had seen it in his eye when he looked in the mirror. The coldness, the distance, emotionless. It was almost like she was not human. There was something about that drew Shinji. Something strange.

Misato touched Shinji's arm, "Let's go in and see her. The poor thing has been through enough today, alone."

Misato lead Shinji into the glass room. The girl looked up only to acknowledge their presence then looked back down. Misato looked at her with a worried glance. Then pushed Shinji foreword. He turned and looked at Misato wondering what to do. Go talk to her Misato mouthed to him. Shinji gulped and turned to the girl. He pulled the chair out from across from her and sat down.

"Hello, I'm Ikari Shinji the Third Child."

The girl looked up," I am Shiin Tenshi."

"Well, Tenshi, I am Misato, you will be staying with us."

The girl nodded keeping her eyes locked to the table.

"Well, Tenshi, Ristko, would like you to suit up and maybe try a few tests with the Eva. I am against it you need your rest."

The girl looked up with a steady gaze," I knew this would not be an easy job. I did not chose for this to be my life, but because it has come to this, I will work all that I must." She pushed away from the table slowly," I am prepared for whatever she had me to do." Tenshi got up from the chair and walked to the door then turned around," Is anyone going to escort me to where I am supposed to be?"

Shinji watched Tenshi's test run from behind the think glass in the observation room. Misato stood at his side with an expressionless face. Ristko stood behind them studding instruments.

"She far exceeds the connections Shinji or Auska has. It is almost a 100 percent." Ristko looked at Misato," Take her home now and watch over her very carefuly.
Misato gave a simple nod in response.

Shinji stood by Tenshi's side as the elevator crawled slowly to their floor," Umm..Tenshi....may I..ummm."

"You wish to ask me about my dreams don't you," she said turning to look at him for the first time that day.

"Yes," replied Shinji, his face red.

Tenshi sighed," I do not mind you asking as much as them. They are so interested in the Angels that they miss the most important part. You and the time."

Shinji looked at her wide eyed in amazement," Me?" He gulped, now very scared.

"Yes, you. I do not mean to scare you Shinji, but you are to save this world for the Angels in seven days."

The elevator stopped and the doors dinged opened, but the two just stood inside the elevator. Tenshi reached out her hand and touched his sholder with affection, the first sign she was human all day long, "Do not fear it. You are more then strong enough for this task, and I shall be there holding your hand through it all.."

Her hand fell away and Tenshi stepped out of the elevator and walked to the apartment's door. Shinji stood in the elevator as the doors closed. He felt so scared, but in some way comforted at Tenshi's touch and words. He heard the doors start to shut closed and quickly ran out of the elevator and to the apartment.

The next moring Shinji found Tenshi awake and dressed for school. She was sitting at the table eating breakfast. Even in a relaxed place as the apartment, she still sat rigid and upright. The food smelled wonderful to Shinji as he heaped some of it on his plate.

"Did you fix this food yourself?" he asked Tenshi, sitting next to her at the table.

"Yes, I did. I hope you enjoy it," she replied giving him a small smile. Shinji had to look twice to make sure that she had actually smiled at him. He looked at her again and gave her a smile in return.

"Six more days, until the 17th Angel comes." Tenshi's voice became low, and her eyes closed.

Shinji turned to look at her scared.

"In the mist of fire and water, a love can shine to protect its child. The heart of a little girl and a small boy can change the world. Death must come before rebirth can achieve its purpose." Tenshi finished her words and dropped her head to the table, tire. Shinji tenderly put his hand on her sholder and rubbed it. He felt a presence over his sholder and looked up and saw Misato standing over him. She looked at him then at the fallen Tenshi and went over to the phone.