Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ A Reunion of Friends ❯ The Letter ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc., are
property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine.
This story takes place 5 years after Third Impact with Flashbacks as well.
Also, I have yet to see if I will continue this with more chapters.
The types of reviews will determine the continuation of this story as long
as they are constructive. Flames need not apply!
Some characters are a bit OOC as they have matured since Third Impact.
I do need Pre-readers if I continue as well. Hope you enjoy!
• Yes It's after Christmas, but I'm posting it none the less.
**** Special Thanks go to my editor, Etsuriko (MadEdittor@aol.com)
He will be editing this story in the next re-write, and I would recommend all to check his stories out at Fanfiction.net! ***

A Reunion of Friends

Chapter #1: The Letter

A young man about 20 years old, is carrying groceries, makes his way through the streets of Kyoto-2 as he headed for a large apartment building right across from the cities main university. As he steps from the elevator on the 5th floor, he heads for his apartment.

Since the Third Impact 5 years ago, life had come back to normal, as normal could be since the majority of the older population, mainly over 50 did not take advantage of the option to return from the LCL sea. So, the earth was very underpopulated. Many of the governments left pushed for all couples to have large families. to that end, subsidies were given as a reward for those who started to have children. Even students in universities who married were afforded larger apartments and were helped in paying for their education. In this atmosphere of growth and potential lived this young man.

The young man in question finally reaches his destination, the apartment where he and his family live.
"I'm home!" He says out loud, as he enters.
"We're on the balcony, my dear." A woman said with a monotone voice.
"Ok, I'll be out there, just as soon as I put the groceries away." was his reply.
"Honey, did you get the babies supplies and mine?" asked the feminine voice heard before.
"Yes, I got them. (then with a pause) Just next time, can you get your supplies yourself. I was a bit embarrassed about having to buy nursing pads since the clerk gave me a weird look."

"Didn't you say they were for your wife, dear?"

"Ahh, Oh yeah now I know what I forgot to say." (He rubbed the back of his head a blush appearing on his face.)

A quiet laugh came from the balcony as he stepped on to it.

He bent down to kiss his wife and admire what he saw. His 2 month old daughter was nursing as his wife looked as radiant as when he proposed to her 4 years ago. "God, your beautiful!" She had that fine purple tinted black shoulder length hair, and the same blue eyes as his own. She acknowledged his comment with a slight blush, and by saying,
"You embarrass me again, dear husband." "Sorry, I can't help but say what I see, and feel, honey."
He reached out and put his hand on her shoulder, since her hands were supporting the nursing baby.
He then looked out over the Kyoto-2 university campus sprawled out facing them, he spotted the far mountains and thought of how they had their miracle baby. He then thought of those who help them, especially two women, one who had become a mother to him and to his wife, the other a friend, and a former love had given even more than he would have thought. he was thinking of them all day, due to the fact that one of them had invited them back to where this all started.

His train of thought was interrupted by his spouse.
"Shinji dear, what will our answer be to Misato's request for us to attend her gathering this christmas?"
He was surprised at his wife intuition, but she had been doing this since he had met her before Third Impact.
"I'm still debating whether to go Rei, but I don't know if I can go."

I would like to go, to see Misato and Kaji, I know you'd like to see your friends."
Rei now looked at her husband. She knew the conflict within him. She had literally been one with him during Third Impact so she had a feeling of why he was hesitant to go. She had changed since then coming back a dark haired blue eyed version of herself, eerily looking much more like Shinji's mother, yet some differences emerged since then. She was taller than she thought she'd be, and had a twinge of purple highlights in her hair. Yet with all the physical changes came the slow process of social skills that she was still learning today. Though she was seemingly her old self outside of her tight circle of friends, she had made great strides in as much as having friends at all. Through out this her anchor was always Shinji. He always stood by her lending advice and support for her. Especially during the last year as they had conceived and birthed their daughter.

As she thought of this Shinji finally made up his mind. "I'll call the train station, and find out the cost, and book 3 tickets to Tokyo-3 for Christmas"

Her reaction would have been to get up and give him a hug, but she was still nursing little Yui. So, she simply smiled and moved on of her hands out to clasp and squeeze his hand, assuring him that she agreed to his decision.
He then sat down on the 2 person swinging chair and put his arms around Rei' shoulders, and his daughter helping to support her as she finished nursing. As he was burping Yui, he felt her arms around him and her head on his shoulder. He put his arm around her and held their child with his other, both looking at the sun, which was setting behind the distant mountains.
Shinji Ikari was happy! He had a family, good friends he was going to meet soon, both he and Rei were completing University degrees and looked forward to their futures. So why was he dreading this reunion at Misato's? She would be there. How was he going to handle seeing her again. With everything they had gone through, how could he face her again. Suddenly a shadow was blocking the suns rays and then he felt a warm sensation on his lips. It was Rei and that made it so much easier for him.

"Thanks honey, I needed that"

"I saw you were deep in thought, so I wanted to get you back to reality."

"Well, you did, Thanks Rei-chan!"

As they enjoyed the sunset, Shinji was now more confident of the coming get together.

"I think it will be fun to see everyone, Thanks for convincing me to go, My love."

"I also look forward to seeing everyone, my dear."

As the sun set, life was finally good for one Shinji and Rei Ikari, hopefully this would continue.

In the next chapter, the young couple make their way towards Tokyo-3, reliving past memories, seeing old friends, and confronting a decision made long ago that hurt one dear to both.
Chapter #2: Reliving Past Wounds

A reminder:
I have yet to see if I will continue this with more chapters.
The types of reviews will determine the continuation of this story as long
as they are constructive and fair.
Some characters are a bit OOC as they have matured since Third Impact.
**** Special Thanks go to my editor, Etsuriko (MadEdittor@aol.com)
He will be editing this story in the next re-write, and I would recommend all to check his stories out at Fanfiction.net! ***