Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ After the End ❯ Survivor of the End ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

After the End of Evangelion, The world was gone, leaving Shinji and Asuka to them selves. But Asuka was injured, and she could possibly die, if not for one child who managed to survive, her soul not taken by Lilith-Rei. But this girl has many secrets, much like Shinji, but she can cope with them, unlike him.

(A/N: 'There will come a time when even we can't save the ones we love...' The Sixth Child.)

**

After the End

Chapter 1: Survivor of the End

"Asuka! Please wake up! Asuka!" Shinji cried, trying to wake the unconscious girl up. All around them lay the ruins of their world, an empty husk of city, the ruins of Tokyo-3, the supposed 'fortress' against the Angels, to keep them safe. All it was now was a pile of scrap metal, even the Evangelions lying forlorn, but not destroyed, to the distance. He looked into the demon eyes of EVA-01, the machine seemingly staring back at him.

"I hate this... I HATE THIS!" he yelled, stretching towards the sky. He heard something being him, like someone stepping on metal. He turned, seeing a girl; at least he thought it was a girl, standing the distance. She was drawing closer, his nerves tensed, afraid of whom she was. How could she survive Rei-Lilith's attack, and not have her soul stolen?

"You hate what?" she asked, stepping over a large piece of wreckage. He looked at her, seeing a normal girl, expecting a monster.

"None of your business."

"Well, anyone a mile around could hear you, think you yelled loud enough?" she laughed, tucking a strand of brown hair behind her ear. She looked over his shoulder at Asuka, and she frowned. "She isn't doing so well is she?"

"How would you know?" he said coldly, glaring at the girl.

"She's all feverish and she's got cuts all over her, what the hell has she been doing?" she asked, pushing past Shinji and kneeling beside her.

"If you haven't noticed, the entire world is in chaos, she got hurt."

"I noticed, it's just weird, it's like everyone just dropped dead and disappeared, but I didn't, and neither did you guys. This is freaky..."She pulled out something from her backpack. Shinji watched her closely, not trusting this strange girl who survived the attack and seemed so... confident.

"What's that?" he asked, wondering what she took from her backpack.

"It's a first aid kit. I got scared when all those people just dropped, I ran home, I found no one there, I took as much stuff as this would carry, and went to look for people. Then, I found you two, other than that, no one survived. This is really weird, how come only we survived?" she said, treating some of Asuka's wounds.

"I don't know, it all went by too fast for me to think of why we survived..." Shinji said, sitting down on the other side of Asuka, bringing his knees to his chest. He looked at Asuka sadly, his usual expression.

"So, what's your names? I mean you and the girl," she asked, trying to make conversation. She truly was scared, of what happened, of what will happen, it was all a mess.

"She's Asuka, I'm Shinji. How did you get all the way out here?" he asked, his gaze still locked on Asuka.

"I don't know, I ran, I just ran, I got scared, as I said, I didn't think, I just ran," she said, looking out upon the 'lake' of LCL.

"You don't look like the type to be scared."

"I guess normally I'm not, but it was so... disturbing, everyone gone, no one around, no a body or anything."

"What's your name?"

"Uh... I'm... Midoriko..." she said, looking as if she was struggling with her name. Shinji looked at her strangely for a moment, and then turned back to Asuka.

"That's an interesting name..."

"I don't know why my mother named me that, I'm not Japanese." She kept working, pulling out some gauze from the small kit and wrapping a small gash on Asuka's arm.

"You don't look like it either," he said, commenting on her strange appearance compared to others. It was true, her sandy-brown hair hanging over deep indigo eyes.

"Is Asuka going to be okay?"

"I'm not a doctor, but I think she'll wake up soon," she said, sitting back, suddenly noticing EVA-01. "What is that?"

"That... is an Evangelion," he said, not seeing a reason to keep any secrets from on of the last survivors of the earth.

"What does it do?"

"It was used to protect us form the angels, little good it did."

"That's not true, it did protect us, the angels are gone, the world is at peace. We are all better off this way..."

"What do you mean?"

"There are no people to destroy the Earth. We were killing it anyway... we might as well die, and let the earth restore itself, let it start again. Humans are useless."

He stared at her, a look of something like shock on his face, he could barely believe what she had said. Yet, somehow what she said made sense, and maybe it was true. He had learned that the Earth was no longer what it was, pollution riddling the ozone with holes and such.

"Perhaps we are..." he said, suddenly realizing something, "You speak as if you're not human, aren't you?"

"O-of course I am!" she replied, shocked slightly.

"Alright..." he said, doubting her words, but he no proof to say she wasn't human, that she was anything. Maybe she was just… different, like him. Just like him…