Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ All That I Am ❯ Eighth Refrain ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer to the First Refrain

Author's Pre-Rant -

Just something I should do more often. Thank you to those that find my work worthwhile enough to read and perhaps comment on. Sadly (Madly, Gladly?), I'm not a fan of my own work, but it appears my second effort is being even better received than my first.

Inconceivable! (The Princess Bride still rates as one of my all time fave's! You'd almost suspect I'm a hopeless romantic.)

All That I Am

Eighth Refrain - Unscheduled Works

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu Residence

Miss Japan 2015 is over and the collateral damage control teams have repaired most of the chaos that was the result. Life now returns to some level of normalcy for the residents of Tokyo-3.

Scary, unfortunate normalcy.

Or so you'd think.

"Baka! Time to get up. I'm hungry." Most mornings in the apartment, Asuka found herself greeted by the smell of food cooking. Real food. Not the noxious death sentence Misato could effortlessly create. <How that woman manages to take perfectly decent food and create a level 5 bio-hazardous organism is beyond me.> The presence of these aromas was a sure sign that the only human male resident was alive and well, or at the very least, alive.

This particular morning though was devoid of pleasant aromas. Yes it was Sunday. A rare day without school or NERV to interfere in the glorious spectacle that was the life of Asuka Langley Sohryu.

But as everyone knows, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. How was NERV's resident Number One Pilot meant to survive if those around her didn't play their role properly?

And so she found herself standing outside the room of one Shinji Ikari. Resident cook and maid and general, all-purpose slave to the other residents of the apartment for the present and foreseeable future.

Tapping her finger on her bicep with increasing impatience, Asuka threw the door open to berate the boy for not motivating himself enough to have her food ready on time. "Baka Shin…..ji." What started as a verbal explosion died rapidly, resembling something more akin to a damp firecracker fizzing out.

"Good Morning Pilot Sohryu." The sight was kind of similar Asuka's slightly frazzled brain tried to inform her. She had often opened this self same door to capture its regular occupant in the process of getting dressed. However, if her memory served her correctly, Shinji did not have blue hair or red eyes and he was definitely not female.

Originally she had had some doubts about the boy and his apparent lack of testicular fortitude. But she had caught a peek during the naked activation test and occasional glimpses of him around the apartment, in the bathroom and in his bedroom. These episodes had confirmed he was very male indeed. Not that she tried to notice too much. At least that's what she kept telling herself.

"Wonder Girl?" Asuka closed the door and checked that the plaque was still there. <Shinji's Lovely Suite. That's his room.> Something didn't quite add up. "Hang on….."

Before she could tear the door from its guide rail, a voice called from the kitchen. "I'm getting breakfast ready now Asuka. There wasn't much left besides some cup ramen, so I had to go to the store first. Sorry about that." He added, almost as an afterthought.

Dismissing the pale apparition inside the room, Asuka turned towards the kitchen. <Wait a minute!> Swiftly spinning around she opened the door to Shinji's room once more. The image of a near naked First Children getting dressed was not a hallucination as she had tried to convince herself of.

"I cannot leave until you move Pilot Sohryu." Rei said waiting patiently for the Second Children to allow her clear passage.

Asuka stepped back allowing the blue haired girl to walk by. The first thing that her slowly recovering mind noticed was the clothes Rei was wearing. <She's wearing Shinji's clothes.>

***

Misato knew she was sometimes not as observant around the apartment as she should be. But occasionally things were just too obvious to miss. Like the dark, ominous atmosphere lingering over the kitchen table as they all sat down to eat.

Asuka being in an unpleasant mood wasn't too much of a deviation from the norm. Misato suspected the girl was simply obnoxious on purpose.

The look Pen-Pen directed at her told her that she was stillforbidden to prepare his food, if at all ever again. She considered this something of a betrayal. She had rescued him from certain death back in college. But then again, dry retching for half a day would do that to anyone.

Shinji being quiet was just a symbiotic reaction to Asuka's mood, so nothing too out of place there either.

The presence of Rei Ayanami at the breakfast table was slightly different. It also answered why Asuka was slightly more annoyed than usual and trying to incinerate Shinji with her eyes.

"Rei?" Misato looked at the placid young girl over her beer can. <There's definitely something different about her.> She concluded. It was a subtle change. The sort of thing you'd miss if you didn't know the person all that well.

Rei finished her miso soup and turned to regard the residing adult at the table. "Yes Major Katsuragi?"

<Is she…….smiling?> Misato recovered from the initial shock quickly. "Did Shinji invite you over for breakfast?" Misato asked, wondering why Rei was here this early. <Why is Rei here at all?>

Rei shook her head. "No."

"He didn't?" Misato's eyebrow arched. "Are you just visiting or something?"

"No. I am staying with Shinji-kun." Rei's not-so-subtle glance at the heavily sweating youth was not missed by anyone. Least of all Asuka.

Misato was certain that Asuka's teeth would shatter from the pressure if she clenched her jaw any harder. "Staying ……….with……Shinji-kun?" Her eyes moved over to encompass the predominately crimson youth, who, to his credit, managed to look her in the eye once before returning to contemplate the mysteries of his fork. Seeing no forthcoming answer from him, Misato once again looked back to Rei. "You slept over?"

"Yes Major." Rei was not the sort of person who became impatient or intolerant when questioned. She expected Major Katsuragi to require answers to her unexpected presence. She did not expect her commanding officer to react as she was. < Major Katsuragi endorsed my request to stay at Shinji-kun's side during the contest. Why is she having difficulty comprehending the situation? All that has changed is the location.>

Misato began slowly massaging her temples, hoping to ease the tension. "I guess that explains why you're wearing Shinji's clothes." Still not completely sure of things, she began dissecting things in her mind, not liking where her thoughts were leading her.

1 - Rei slept over last night.
2 - In Shinji's room.
3 - With Shinji-kun.
4 - Alone.
5 - Rei is wearing his clothes.
6 - Ritsuko is going to be pissed.
7 - Commander Ikari is going to be extremely pissed.
8 - ShitShitShitShit!
9 - We are all so very, very dead!
10 - I need another beer.

To her credit, Misato did not break down and begin bawling incoherently, although it was looking more and more appealing as the seconds ticked by.

"My dress was not suitable sleeping attire." Noticing Misato's furrowed brow and look of panic, Rei felt obligated to explain things. "Shinji-kun insisted I wear something of his as he felt it unwise to disturb either yourself or Pilot Sohryu. He provided me with these clothes after I bathed this morning." She added, plucking the sleeve of the T-Shirt for emphasis.

"I see." During the conversation, Misato's eyes had again drifted over to gaze at a visibly uncomfortable Shinji Ikari. "Shinji-kun?"

Catching Misato's look, he panicked. "I slept on the floor Misato-san. Rei-chan had the bed. Nothing happened, I swear." Even though he knew nothing untoward had happened, Shinji found himself unable to maintain even minimal eye contact with his guardian as he babbled.

"It's okay Shinji-kun. I believe you." Misato was still coming to terms with everything. But she still couldn't pass up on the opportunity to tease her Shinji a little. "It was very nice of you to offer Rei the bed." She directed her sweetest smile at the boy. "Shinji-kun is such a nice boy, isn't he Rei?"

Where most members of the human male species would melt under the intensity of Misato's smile, Shinji began planning his relocation to a small isolated outpost somewhere in the fringes of Outback Australia.

"I still do not understand why he refused to sleep in the bed." Rei paused to consider how she felt about the whole affair, wanting to express herself properly. "It was a pleasant experience sleeping with Shinji-kun. One I wish to attempt again." Rei carefully decided to omit ..and again and again… It was possible that it would be mistaken as slightly over-eager.

Unable to remain silent any longer, Asuka slammed the palm of her hand down hard on the kitchen table. "That's disgusting!" Misato's eyes flickered across to watch just what Asuka would do. Rei sat impassively, virtually ignoring the German girl's outburst while Shinji pondered what painful fate he was about to suffer. "You want to sleep with him?" During the course of the conversation, she had kept quiet, listening to the feeble excuses being presented. The rosy hue highlighting Rei's pale features was all the proof she required.

Someone had to pay. Asuka's only confusion was who to start with.

Keeping her cool, Misato decided to intervene before blood was spilt. "Asuka, settle down. It's far too early to begin yelling." <And murdering Shinji. At least wait until he does the laundry.>

Not believing what she was hearing, Asuka turned on the older woman. "You're telling me that you see nothing wrong with this?" Her eyes blazed furiously.

"I'm not saying that at all." Misato replied. "It's just a little much to deal with all at once." Knowing that this particular conversation was far from over, Misato decided to change the topic to something more mundane. "So what do you intend to do today Shinji-kun?"

Breathing a sigh of relief that Misato had decided to play the mediator instead of inquisitor, Shinji considered his options before answering. "I think I'm going to have to spend most of it cleaning the apartment. It looks like it did when I first moved in." When he and Rei had arrived home, it had been late and he had been high on the euphoria of the night's events. But looking around this morning, he knew it would take practically all day to restore the apartment to a more habitable condition.

Rei also looked around the apartment. "It is functional enough Shinji-kun. It is tidier than my own apartment."

Misato laughed at what she considered to be a joke. "What about you Rei, what are your plans today?"

"I will assist Shinji-kun." Rei confirmed resolutely.

"You're going to waste your one day off to clean the apartment with Baka Shinji?" Asuka couldn't believe what she was hearing. While she didn't particularly like the Pilot of Unit 00, she felt obligated to point a few things out. "There's more to life than staring at ceilings or out windows, you know." She also didn't like the idea of Shinji and Rei spending any more time together than absolutely necessary. And absolutely necessary was perhaps 2.73 seconds per day. Less was even better.

"I intend to remain by his side." Rei re-affirmed, unphased by the seething Second Children. <Why does she persist with her refusal to acknowledge our relationship?>

Seeing another potential argument brewing, Misato stepped in again, hoping to defuse it before she had to start replacing furniture. "Rei, I don't really have a problem with you staying over every now and then," <Although we'll have to do something about this sleeping together business.> She thought. "but I'm not your guardian. What will Commander Ikari have to say about this?" Her own thoughts tended to have the Commander smiling briefly before shooting each and every one of them.

Rei faltered slightly. "I……do not know. I only know …..I wish to be with Shinji-kun."

"Misato-san?" Shinji tentatively placed his hand over Rei's, hoping to soothe and calm the young girl. He felt her grip his hand as if she would never let go ever again. Knowing that someone actually wanted to be with him, regardless of all his faults, was a comforting feeling..

Misato grabbed another beer from her near endless supply. "I tell you what, Rei. How about I drive you back to your place so you can grab a few things for your stay here." She sculled the contents in one hit. "When I go to work tomorrow I'll talk with Ritsu-chan and see if she can help me come up with something." <Shinji-kun, you are going to owe me big time for this.> Misato smiled, wondering just what she should ask from the boy.

Rei nodded her head and moved to assist Shinji in clearing the table. "That is acceptable Major Katsuragi."

Deciding it was time for a long, hot bath, Misato grabbed another can of Yebisu. "And one more thing. If you're going to be staying here you have to stop calling me that. When we're not at NERV, just Misato is fine." Misato had long ago established her policy of separating her work and personal life.

"Understood Misato-san." She agreed.

***

Ayanami Residence - Apartment 402

"Rei, I never realised you're apartment was this……" Gazing around the small, squalid apartment, Misato wondered how anyone, let alone a young girl, could subject themselves to living in such poor accommodation. "…..awful. Who arranged for you to live here?" She cringed at the size of a large, extremely nasty looking spider crouched imperiously over the entry.

"Commander Ikari." Rei replied as she continued gathering her few personal items. The duffel bag Shinji had loaned her was large enough to easily accommodate her school uniforms, underwear, swimsuits and toiletries.

Misato stared in disgust at the accumulation of mildew and grime in the bathroom. "I thought maybe you were joking about my place being clean compared to yours." She walked gingerly across the floor, hoping that it was only water seeping in through her shoes. "What's he thinking placing a young girl in a hole like this?" She frowned at the sight of damp, mouldy towels littering the stained floor. "Do you have any neighbours?"

Rei quickly examined her dresser drawers and closet, ensuring she had left nothing behind. Satisfied that nothing remained she turned to pack the last two items of importance. "No. I am the only tenant in the complex." She carefully placed the case containing Commander Ikari's old glasses and the now empty glass beaker on top of her panties, wrapped in paper for added protection.

"Kami-sama, who knows where Shinji-kun would have ended up if I had let him live on his own?" Sliding the large curtain across, she looked out the window. "Makes me glad I decided to take him with me." <She has a washing machine?>

Zipping the duffel bag up, Rei joined Misato as she searched through the kitchen area. "You decided to take guardianship over Shinji-kun?"

"Amazing isn't it? I just signed the piece of paper and they gave him to me." She waved her hands with a flourish. "I had more trouble opening a bank account." Misato mumbled something about bureaucrats, overdrafts and murderous revenge.

The concept of simply signing a piece of paper to own Shinji caught her interest. "Did you request Pilot Sohryu to live with you as well?" <Perhaps Misato-san will relinquish her ownership of Shinji-kun to me. I a responsible enough to live unsupervised, as she is. Logic dictates I am a suitable candidate to be Shinji-kun's guardian.> The thought of having guardianship over Shinji pleased her immensely, although she was still relatively uncertain what she would do with him.

While her upbringing had been far from normal, the education she had been provided with was first rate. She was well aware of the physical interactions between men and women. Initially she had discarded the notion of indulging in such trivial pastimes, the Commander had encouraged her to avoid such intimate contact. However now that she had Shinji, certain elements of those interpersonal relationships were beginning to appear extremely tempting.

"No, after the Seventh - What the hell is that sound?" Misato was startled by a loud booming noise originating outside. Her first instinct to have her firearm drawn and ready, preparing for an assault by unknown forces.

Still contemplating various potentially agreeable encounters with Shinji, Rei blithely ignored Misato's reactions. "It is the demolition and reconstruction of the adjacent areas."

Reholstering her weapon, Misato sighed with relief, her thoughts once again returning to the issue at hand. "This can't be safe." Watching the dust fall from the ceiling, Misato envisaged the building collapsing down on her. Dying in a hovel was not in the top four thousand things she wanted to accomplish with her life.

Having decided on a course of action and the desired outcomes, Rei inspected her home for perhaps the final time. "The structural integrity is sound." <While not overly comfortable, it was functional and served it's purpose well.> Memories of a room, similar in appearance flashed in her mind. Unpleasant memories, but they were hers and hers alone.

Misato shook her head. "No. I mean you living here on your own." Misato looked carefully at the young girl, seeing past the features that set her apart from others, to see her for what she was. An attractive young girl, blossoming into a beautiful young woman. "There're a lot of unsavoury predators out there Rei. Pretty young girls are just the sort of thing they go for."

"I am under the supervision of NERV Intelligence. I am in no danger." Rei was confident in the security forces employed by NERV. Commander Ikari had stressed that all important personnel were under almost constant surveillance.

"Section 2? They monitor Shinji and Asuka as well." Misato smiled as she was struck by a bolt of inspiration. "Hang on. I've got it."

"Have what Misato-san?" The excited countenance of the older woman was somewhat unsettling. <Perhaps Shinji-kun is correct in his assumptions.>

"Just the thing that may swing the deal." Misato declared confidently.

"Deal?" The slight concern she felt began growing.

"Trust me Rei." Misato said, dragging the confused young girl with her. "If everything goes to plan, you'll be living with us in no time."

***

Office of the Supreme Commander of NERV

Sometimes the best-laid plans invariably go wrong. Standing before Commander Ikari, Misato felt her confidence waver.

"Major, I fail to see the relevance." Gendou stared implacably at the woman. The hastily cobbled together submission she had placed on his desk lay unopened. Instead he had insisted she explain her request in person.

"NERV is expending valuable resources in monitoring the Children, Sir." Misato had briefly discussed how to best present her case with Ritsuko. The blonde scientist had suggested using the bottom line. Money. "At present we have two teams at any one time simply because our forces are split."

"So you intend to consolidate the Children under one roof and thereby reduce the security requirement necessary to ensure their safety?" Gendou barely moved as his monotone voice cut straight to the heart of the issue.

"Yes Sir." Misato confirmed. "It should also educate them in developing their teamwork. As you may have heard, the First and Second Children do not associate well with each other." This was a well-known fact. "Perhaps living together will allow them to develop, at the very least, an amicable working relationship." She offered hopefully.

Gendou's eyes appeared briefly from behind his tinted glasses. "You've given this some thought Major."

A cheering squad suddenly erupted into full chorus in Misato's mind. "As Director of Tactical Operations, it's my duty to ensure the Children are able to perform their duties to the best of their abilities. Our main priority is defeating the threat of the Angels Sir" Unable to control her delight, Misato smiled, believing she had pulled off a miracle.

"While I encourage bonding and teamwork amongst the Pilots, I will not tolerate anything more……. distracting. "Gendou replied. "Trust and camaraderie will be necessary if they are to overcome what is yet to come. See to it that they understand that anything more…….. intimate will be discouraged………With prejudice if necessary." Not one to threaten needlessly, Gendou knew the Major understood just how swift and deadly his retribution would be.

Shrugging off the cold sweat that chilled her, Misato attempted to convince him. "I'm sure the Children understand implicitly, Rei has-"

Gendou's voice developed an ominous resonance. "Have you discussed this with the First Children, Major?"

Misato swallowed before responding. "Rei has mentioned her preference to relocate, Sir."

"Has she?" Gendou activated the desk's communicator. "Escort the First Children to my office immediately." Returning to his previous position, he continued to stare at Misato.

***

"Pilot Ayanami. Major Katsuragi has informed me you have requested relocation to her apartment." Gendou observed Rei's reactions to his statement. He had to give her credit for recovering as fast as she did. Anyone other than himself, Kouzou or Ritsuko would have missed the initial reaction of uncertainty.

"Yes Sir." Smothering her emotions beneath an impenetrable façade, Rei forced herself to return the Commanders grim look with her own normal dispassionate one.

Gendou stayed silent for a number of seconds before asking his question. "Why?"

She knew he would expect nothing but a simple, direct response. Something that she was unable to provide at this time. "I ………to ………with-"

With his patience long since vanished, Gendou prompted her, his voice probably harsher than he intended. "I am waiting Pilot Ayanami."

Unable to comply satisfactorily, Rei resigned herself to once again returning to the only life he would allow her to have. "……It is not important Sir. My present accommodation is acceptable."

"Rei but-" Misato tried to help the girl but was cut off by the Commander.

"I am glad we understand one another. That is all Major. Dismissed." He watched both the Major and the subdued First Children leave, satisfied that everything was still proceeding as he required.

***

Kouzou moved up to stand beside Gendou before voicing his thoughts of the discussion that had just taken place. "You're a hard man Ikari."

Gendou snorted. "You would allow her to move?"

"I see nothing detrimental in moving Rei in with Major Katsuragi." Kouzou reflected. "Perhaps it will keep the Major and the other two Pilots occupied." He had given the matter some serious thought. There were far too many unpredictable elements for his liking.

"You now endorse a relationship between Rei and the Third Children?" Gendou inquired, interested by his one-time mentor's change of heart.

Kouzou considered the pros and cons of the proposal. "You're allowing your personal feelings to narrow your vision my friend. Their growing attachment to each other will provide a convenient tool to use against them. To leverage complete control over their actions. Especially those of the boy. We can ill afford either of them to rebel at this juncture."

"Blind and compliant is it?" Gendou laughed softly. "Sensei, You misjudge me harshly." Activating his data terminal, he opened a recent security report. "The agents assigned to monitor Rei have reported that for all intents and purposes, she has already moved in with the Major."

"You play a dangerous game Ikari." Kouzou observed.

"The risks are great, I agree. But to win the game, the consummate player must know when to sacrifice his lesser pieces to ensure his Emperor is victorious."

***

"Rei? Are you okay?" The young girl was even more withdrawn than usual. Having watched her become slightly more open around Shinji, Misato found the change disturbing.

"I appreciate your efforts to assist me Major." She replied quietly. "I will have my clothing and personal items moved bac-"

Misato interrupted before she could finish her statement. "Wait a minute Rei. Who said anything about that?"

"Commander Ikari has stated-"

Misato finished for her. "That you won't be officially living with us, yes I was there. But I do have one more idea. Actually it was something Asuka mentioned a while back." She muttered.

Rei's eyes widened slightly at the inference. "Commander Ikari's orders are absolute Major Katsuragi. I cannot disobey him." While it distressed her to relinquish her chance to remain with Shinji, years of conditioning were forcing her hand.

Misato tapped a finger against her jaw thoughtfully. "But where will you stay while that hovel you call home is being renovated and redecorated."

"There are no works scheduled for my apartment?" Rei replied.

"There is now." Misato began ticking items off on her fingers. "My guess is it could take at least six to eight weeks to organise the contractors. Another few weeks for them to purchase materials. Months to actually improve it to an acceptable standard."

"Are you certain Major?" Rei saw what Misato was intending.

"Well with one contractor working at a time and with yours truly making sure they do everything just right it could take even longer." Misato smiled evilly. "What do you say Rei?"

"I will leave everything in your capable hands Major Katsuragi." Rei offered a small smile of gratitude for what this woman, essentially a stranger was doing to assist her. <Major Katsuragi is more devious than I originally anticipated.>

Misato clapped the girl on the shoulder. "We're going to get along just fine Rei."

***

Streets of Tokyo-3

Rei sat quietly in the passenger seat of Misato's vehicle attempting to justify the logic behind the sequence of events that had just transpired. "How did you accomplish that Majo-"

Flooring the accelerator, Misato gunned the car through an intersection as the traffic signals began changing. "Rei, we're not at NERV." She chided.

Bracing herself as the car took a corner at high speed, Rei corrected her question. "How did you accomplish that Misato-san?"

Misato closed her eyes and laughed, blissfully oblivious to the cries of panic from the foolhardy pedestrians daring to walk on the footpath. "You'd be surprised at how easy it is to get requisition forms signed by the Accounts Department."

"Doctor Akagi has mentioned that they are notorious for complicating simple expenditure procedures with 'Bureaucratic Red Tape'." Rei replied, recalling many instances where NERV's Chief Scientist had complained about funding restrictions.

Misato shrugged nonchalantly. "Ritsu-chan just doesn't ask properly, that's all."

"Is that why you acted in such a peculiar fashion?" Rei had committed Misato's actions to memory, realising that the predominantly male Accounting Staff had all but climbed over each other to assist the lavender haired woman.

"Just using the feminine arsenal Kami-sama blessed me with Rei. And if offering a little incentive gets me what I want, then where's the harm?" Misato smiled. She had recognised that her appearance was well above normal. Besides, she enjoyed flirting. It was always good practice for when she teased Shinji.

Weighing the facts now available to her, Rei reached a satisfactory, logical conclusion. "So if I am provocative, will Shinji-kun react in a similar fashion?" Her cheeks warmed at the thought of draping herself over the shy, young boy. The blush steadily deepened as her thoughts slowly evolved beyond mere flirting.

"I don't think you need to worry about that just yet Rei." Misato eyed the embarrassed young girl speculatively. <So if Rei's going to be staying with us, just where will she stay.> Misato knew without a doubt that trying to convince Asuka to share her sanctum was tantamount to suicide. <Can I really just let her and Shinji-kun share a room?> She knew that so much could go wrong. <It's not like they'll start having wild, passionate sex at every possible moment.> At least she hoped not.

Misato's process of elimination on how to solve the new sleeping arrangements finally reached a suitable conclusion. Activating her cell phone, she placed a call to her sometime assistant. "Makoto-kun, it's me. I need a favour."

***

Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu/(Ayanami) Residence

Entering the apartment, Misato couldn't help but smile at the antics of the young girl beside her. "Looking for your boyfriend Rei?"

Rei began her systematic search for Shinji. Unable to locate him in either the living room or kitchen, she concluded he was either taking a bath, using the toilet or in his room. "Yes Majo-….Misato-san." <Perhaps he is with his friends? It is unlikely he is with Pilot Sohryu.> Although she was relatively certain of this, the nagging doubt was still there, constantly reminding her of certain rumours she had heard concerning the Second Children and Shinji.

Shaking her head in exasperation, Misato headed for the kitchen and a well deserved drink before dinner. "Rei, it's no fun for me if you don't react properly when I tease you." <At least Shinji-kun has the decency to get all flustered.>

"I was unaware that I was required to react in a predetermined fashion. I will endeavour to -"

Waving the girl's concerns away, Misato pointed in the general direction of the bedrooms. "Don't worry about it Rei. Shin-chan's probably in his room. Just go in for your make-out session." She winked. "But try to keep the noise down."

Inclining her head at Misato's suggestion, Rei left the woman to her drinking to seek the object of her fascination. <Make out session? Another unfamiliar term. Perhaps Shinji-kun will be able to explain it to me. He appears to understand most of the odd statements that Misato-san alludes to.>

Just as Rei was about to open the door to 'Shinji's Lovely Suite', a voice behind her whispered low and menacingly. "What are you doing First?"

"I am here to 'Make out with Shin-chan'." Rei replied, using the strange terminology that Misato had employed. <Shin-chan. It is pleasant sounding. Perhaps I will use it more often.> With that, she entered the room, closing the door behind her.

"Oh okay." Asuka began walking back towards her room. "………………..……..Wait a minute." She rushed back towards Shinji's room. "Just what the he-" Her voice dropped away at the sight that greeted her.

Rei sat on the bed beside Shinji who was obviously asleep. "Please remain quiet Pilot Sohryu. Shinji-kun is asleep." She whispered, staring in wonderment at how relaxed his features were as he slept. <I have never seen Shinji-kun so……..at peace.> She decided she liked seeing him like that. <I would like to see him smile again. To smile at me.>

Amazed at what she was seeing, Asuka moved over beside the couple to watch the subtle interaction being played out. "What do you see in him Wonder Girl?"

Never taking her eyes from his face, she tried to formulate the ever growing feelings into words. "He is ……considerate…… and gentle …………..and I ………." Simply unable to explain what she felt for the young boy, Rei instead kept quiet.

Asuka folded her arms. "You mean he's a wimp and a coward."

Gently shaking her head, Rei defended him from the German girl's harsh criticisms. "You are mistaken to interpret his gentle nature as a weakness. It is his strength." She ran her fingers slowly through his hair, relishing the sensation as her fingertips ran across his scalp. "It is why I wish to remain at his side."

"AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!" Shinji sat bolt upright, his scream surprising his two guests.

Asuka clutched a hand to her chest. "Gott in Himmel Third Children. Why can't you just wake up normally like everyone else?" Catching her breath, she composed herself. "I think you just took a decade off my life."

Rei gathered Shinji's nearest available hand in her own, squeezing gently. "Shinji-kun, are you all right?" His cry had caught her off guard and had her wondering if he had injured himself somehow.

Scratching his head, Shinji blushed. "Sorry Asuka, I just had a bad dream." Smiling to hopefully reassure Rei, he returned the gentle grip as she seemingly refused to release his hand. "I'll be fine Rei-chan."

Asuka stalked out of the room. "Whatever. I'm going shopping with Hikari." Her head reappeared in the open doorway. "Make sure dinner is ready by the time I get back."

"Okay Asuka. Bye." Watching Asuka leave both relieved and bothered him. <Asuka seemed a little strange. I wonder if something's wrong?>

"Shinji-kun, are you sure everything is fine? You are still trembling." Her concern was slightly mollified by his responding smile.

"It's okay, really. Strangely enough I wake up like that more often than not." He chuckled, pushing the unpleasant nightmare into the further reaches of his mind.

"You did not do so when I was sleeping beside you." She shifted closer, resting her head on his shoulder. "Perhaps I should do so more often." Closing her eyes, Rei felt that this was something she truly enjoyed. <Perhaps there is more than just EVA and loneliness.>

"Uhmm…. I don't think Misato-san would allow it Rei-chan." Shinji could feel his heart gradually making it's way up through his throat. Swallowing nervously he glanced at Rei's face, marvelling at her delicate features.

"I don't mind Rei. If it means I can sleep in more often and if it shuts Asuka up about Shinji screaming in his sleep, I don't care if you sleep in the same bed." Shinji's jaw unhinged as he stared to find a deliriously happy Misato Katsuragi sitting in a chair watching them.

"MISATO-SAN!" Shinji exclaimed, outraged that Misato could even suggest something so indecent. His cheeks burned as his imagination extrapolated the scenario even further.

"I will accept your offer Misato-san." Rei had not reacted to the presence of the woman at all. Her thoughts were focused entirely on the sensation that her closeness to Shinji produced.

"Rei-chan, Misato-san was just teasing us." He threw his guardian a panic stricken look, pleading for her to relent this one time. "Weren't you Misato-san?" <Kami-sama, please tell her you were joking Misato-san.>

Misato grinned. "Hmmm, I don't know Shin-chan. Are you REALLLLLY that much against having your girlfriend sleep with you?"

"Misato-san, remember what you told us. Nothing intimate." Shinji countered seriously.

"How is sleeping together intimate Shin-chan?" Rei moved her head slightly, so her forehead was resting against the join of Shinji's neck and shoulder. "When we have intercourse it could be considered intimacy. Sleeping together is not the same as engaging in sexual activity." Her eyes opened briefly to look at Misato. "Is that not correct Misato-san?" She asked.

"Oh don't mind me." Misato waved her hand. "Just act like I wasn't even her." She leaned back in the seat to enjoy the show.

"Understood." Rei simply nodded, closing her eyes once again.

Shinji felt what little control he had over his life was diminishing rapidly. <Shin-chan?!? 'WHEN' we have intercourse?! Just what has Misato-san been telling Rei?>

"Hello, Katsuragi-san? Anyone home?" A familiar voice called out.

"Come on in Makoto-kun, I'm in Shinji's room." Misato said. "Did you get what I wanted?" She asked eagerly.

The spectacled face of Makoto Hyouga appeared in the doorway. "They're bringing it up now. Hi Shinji-kun, Ayanami." He waved bashfully, his eyes occasionally flickering over to Misato then back to the floor.

"Who is bringing what Misato-san?" Shinji asked, wondering what Misato was up to and just how it was going to further complicate his life.

Pinching his cheek, Misato smiled playfully. "Just wait and see my little Shinji-kun, just wait and see."

***

End Eighth Refrain

Tbc

Authors Post-Rant -

I was originally going to have Gendou agree to Misato's ploy, but felt he wouldn't readily agree to something so easily. He knew what was going on, and like all consummate masterminds, he already has something planned. And like a spider, he'll watch the flies struggle in his web until he's ready to pounce. Don't worry, the WAFF (This is meant to be something resembling a romantic story, I think?) can only last so long before the author decides to implement his scenario. One more chapter, I think.

As always, post your reviews here at FFN (Or where ever you find this).

Any other comments, thoughts etc are welcome at -

otaku_dman@yahoo.com.au.

Ja Ne