Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ All That I Am ❯ Twelfth Refrain ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer to the First Refrain

Author's Pre-Rant -

It's odd. I keep reading in the forums that people dislike being told that a story is going to have a specific pairing. Is this the case? I guess I really messed up by announcing the actual combinations of this and my upcoming works. I simply thought it easier for those who actually prefer a specific pairing. It has inspired me to attempt a serious story utilising multiple love interests though. (No, not Someday Somewhere. That's my stress reliever)

Live and learn I guess.

All That I Am

Twelfth Refrain - Sacrificial Lambs

Central Dogma

Misato waited nervously. All three members of her team sat concentrating in their entry plugs, each valiantly trying to improve their psychological connection with their respective biomechanical fighting machines.

The bridge crew also kept a close eye on the various data feeds that resulted from the synchronisation test. The high degree of potential danger kept them all alert to any minor fluctuation or warning, memories of the Eleventh Angel and the recent Compatibility Experiment still fresh in their minds.

While vigilance alone would not save them, the precious few seconds it provided could mean the difference between life and a repeat performance of Second Impact.

There was an encore no one was eagerly waiting for.

Leaning over Maya's shoulder, Misato whispered into the young lieutenant's ear. "How are their scores?" While not her only job, part of her work was to provide a suitable 'home' environment to encourage the children's sense of duty and responsibility as vanguards defending the earth and humanity from possible extinction.

Misato's own childhood had been far from ordinary and she had learned quickly that her three teenage-aged Pilots were notoriously difficult in providing for.

Maya quickly cycled through the latest available information, images of each of the Children flashing up onto her holographic display. The data prompted a whimsical smile from the young woman. "Rei appears to be climbing rapidly. She's already surpassed her previous maximum and is holding steady at twelve points higher. Shinji-kun has stabilised for the moment." Maya was a vocal advocate of the growing bond between the First and Third Children and the marked improvement in both children's scores only justified her support of their budding relationship.

"What about Asuka?" Misato tried to mask her concern but with how things seemed to be gradually degenerating back at the apartment. She hoped that it wouldn't affect Asuka's ability as an EVA Pilot, at least no more than it already had.

Maya accessed Asuka's data log. "See for yourself." She said, pointing to Asuka's psychograph readings.

Misato chewed her lip thoughtfully, deciding on a suitable course of action. Activating the communications link to Unit 02, Misato interrupted the young girls concentration. "Asuka."

Asuka's eyes snapped open. "What is it Misato?" Her eye's narrowed in obvious irritation. "In case you hadn't noticed, I'm in the middle of something important." For Asuka, everything else took a back seat to her goal of retaining her title as the best EVA Pilot.

Ignoring Asuka's venomous glare, Misato smiled and gave her a thumbs up. "It looks like you're back to being NERV's 'Number One' again!" She congratulated the young German girl.

Asuka's eyes widened momentarily. "I am?" Quickly recovering from the initial surprise, her normal, haughty expression quickly gained the ascendancy. "Of course I am. It was only a matter of time." She directed her superior smirk at an obviously apprehensive Shinji Ikari. "There was absolutely no way that Baka Shinji could be better than Asuka Langley Sohryu."

With her ego satisfied by the news, Asuka renewed her efforts, intending to maintain her position now that she had regained what was rightfully hers once more.

Muting the communication link, Maya turned to Misato. "Are you going to tell her that she's less than one point above Shinji-kun? Or that his plug depth is nearly twic-"

Misato shook her head. "Let's not ruin her good mood, it's been a while since she's smiled like that." Asuka without her arrogance was almost as weird as Shinji without his apologies or Rei without her cool detachment.

***

Asuka could barely contain her jubilation. Humming a soft tune to herself she removed her plug suit and gathered her shampoos and soaps for a well-deserved shower. Her attention was caught by the sudden appearance of the First Children, who had obviously just finished her own shower. "Well, Wonder Girl. It appears that Baka Shinji isn't the greatest Pilot anymore." Asuka's grin widened. "Maybe you should run on back to Commander Ikari." Cocking an arm on her hip, she stared down her nose at the blue haired girl. "I mean, what's the point of even pretending to be that pervert's girlfriend if he's nothing more than second rate?" Waving her hand dismissively, Asuka began striding purposely past her colleague.

"You are mistaken Pilot Sohryu," Rei replied, somewhat more forcefully than she had intended. "about many things." Since their confrontation during the Twelfth Angel, Rei had felt a growing sense of unease whenever the Second Children was present. It was much akin to being around a wounded animal. The threat of unprovoked attack had her constantly on edge.

Not expecting a response from the overly recalcitrant girl, Asuka spun on her heels, fixing Rei with a piercing gaze. "Oh, the most serene girl in the world is actually angry. Well, why don't you enlighten me? Just what am I mistaken about?"

Rei matched Asuka's fiery look with one of her own. "I would be wasting my words, Pilot Sohryu." She turned towards her locker to retrieve her clothes. "You only see and hear that which justifies your false beliefs. You ignore all else that denies your perception." Pausing as she dressed, Rei turned to regard the increasingly agitated Second Children. "It is why you fear Shinji-kun."

"Me! Scared of that idiot!" Asuka slammed her palm against one of the locker's in their change room. "What would a stupid doll like you know?" Unable to bear the presence of the detestable First Children, Asuka stormed off towards the showers, muttering obscenities.

Having finished getting dressed, Rei watched Asuka depart. "I know that it pains Shinji-kun to watch you walk your path of self destruction." She whispered, her words ignored by the unpredictable Pilot of Unit 02.

***

Katsuragi / Ikari / Sohryu / Ayanami Residence

Fortifying himself with a deep breath and a silent prayer to his long since departed mother, Shinji placed the noose around his own neck and prepared for the fall

"Congratulations Asuka." He exclaimed, attempting to maintain a cool and calm demeanour.

With the way Shinji was sweating, Asuka could feel the fear radiating from the thin, young boy. "What do you think you're doing, Third Children?" Having just finished a relaxing soak in the bath, Asuka had ventured into the kitchen, seeking refreshment. Finding Shinji, clad in his cooking apron, preparing dinner was almost a given. Having Shinji actually speak first was not.

Unable to shake the growing sense of disquiet and unease, Shinji blindly struggled onward, not really knowing how to escape without upsetting Asuka more than she obviously already was. "Misato-san mentioned that you have the highest synchronisation ratio again." His smile, while honest in its intention, failed to impress. "I thought it was a good idea to celebrate," He said, pointing to the slowly cooking filet steaks and steaming vegetables. " and so did Misato-san and Rei-chan."

Asuka walked directly over to the now visibly shaking young boy. Leaning forward, she backed him up against the bench top. "You make it sound like it's surprising that I beat you, Third Children. Do still think you're better than me?"

Shinji swallowed nervously. Asuka's overly calm voice terrified him more than her furious outbursts ever could. "No. It's not that As-"

Asuka cut his feeble reply, enjoying her intimidating domination of their conversation. "Then what is it Third Children?" No more than a few centimetres separated them now. Asuka could see Shinji's eyes darting anywhere and everywhere, searching for an escape. Placing her hands on the bench, she effectively trapped him, pinning him where he stood. She could feel his trembling. See him perspiring. His fear disgusted her. <Where are you now? Where's the Shinji Ikari that beat me so easily?>

Leaning as far back as he could, Shinji lowered his eyes, staring at the floor, wondering if that's where he would end up, bruised, bloody and beaten into semi-unconsciousness. "I just thought that-"

Sniffing in disdain, Asuka released her hold on Shinji and made her way to the fridge. Grabbing a can of soda, she turned to leave, heading for her room. "I don't need your sympathy or pity." She growled, not bothering to face him. "I don't need anything from you. Are we clear?"

"I'm sorry Asuka." Shinji mumbled, knowing somehow that he had only further disappointed his roommate, but unsure of how he had managed to do so.

"What was that?" Asuka demanded, still with her back to the boy. "I couldn't hear your feeble mumbling. Speak up Third Children." She declared hotly, her anger rapidly returning.

Shinji sighed, defeated and exhausted "I just wanted to do something nice for you." It seemed every time he spoke with Asuka, it always ended with her hating him just a little bit more and no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't see an answer on how to rectify things. <It's not like she ever really liked me. But things are worse now than they ever were.>

"Why do you even bother?" Shaking her head, Asuka retreated to her room, deciding to wait there until dinner was finally ready. "Why do I?" She asked herself, wondering just what it was that kept her at constant odds with Shinji.

***

Tokyo-3 MunicipalHigh School

Touji slumped unceremoniously into his seat. With a casual indifference honed by years of practice he lifted his legs and rested his feet on the desk. Looking around the classroom, he saw at least one noticeable absence. "Hey Ken, you seen Shinji?" He asked his companion.

Kensuke replied without even bothering to lift his head from his computer screen. "Not yet. In fact I haven't seen Ayanami or Satan's Bride either." His fingers continued to type at a furious rate, even when he lifted his eyes briefly to grin at Touji. "Do you think there's another Angel attacking?"

Touji found the sound of eager anticipation in Kensuke's voice disturbing. "Somehow I think there would have been an alarm raised if there was." At least he hoped so. He was forced to endure the results of a badly timed Angel alarm every single time he visited his younger sister.

Kensuke began drumming his fingers on the desk, pondering the actual whereabouts of their mutual friend, his girlfriend and their greatest enemy. "Maybe he's spending some quality time with his girlfriends?"

Touji shook his head at the extremely remote likelihood of the three Evangelion Pilots participating in a threesome. "Ayanami maybe, but with how the Devil's been treatin' him this past couple of weeks, I doubt he'd survive the encounter." Asuka's displeasure with practically anything and everything around her had progressed from simply voicing her disgust to the point where she expressed it physically. The main target of her ire being Shinji Ikari.

Resting his chin on his palm, Kensuke closed his eyes, thinking happier thoughts. "Personally I can't see why he doesn't just put the moves on Misato-san." Given the opportunity, it was what he would do. If only NERV would only see reason and allow him to Pilot.

Touji had to agree. "Yeah, now that is some serious piece of woman." To his adolescent mind, Misato encapsulated everything that a woman should be. Shinji's complaints about Misato's supposed personal bad habits were just a sign of how much he took for granted. Or so Touji thought.

"Suzuhara-kun."The sound of a familiar girls voice broke the illusory spell that Misato's name alone could invoke.

Catching sight of a slight twitch of Hikari's eyebrow and how reminiscent it was of a certain red headed demon, Touji tread carefully out onto the figuratively thin ice he now found himself skating on. "Oh, Hi Hora-, I mean Class Rep. What can I do for you?"

"The Principle wants to see you. You haven't done anything bad have you?" Her disapproving frown spoke volumes. Listening to him extol Misato's virtues annoyed her. Were it not for the fact she had a position of responsibility and a reputation to uphold, she may have simply grabbed his earlobe and dragged him off so he could better explain himself.

Realising that the thin ice was now on the verge of breaking, Touji opted for the lesser of two evils. "Recently? No, not that I can think of. Well thanks anyway, I better go see what the old fossil wants this time." With a casual wave Touji bolted from the classroom.

Kensuke smirked. He carefully appraised how earnestly the young class representative's eyes followed the departure of Touji Suzuhara. "You know, Class Rep, you're going to have to drop the whole subtle routine if you really want him to pick up on things." His grin expanded at the young girls apparent embarrassment at being caught out. "Touji's not dense, he just doesn't pay attention to stuff sometimes. Especially with Mari in hospital."

***

Central Dogma

Even though she wasn't in school, Asuka paid no heed to the fact that she was wearing her school uniform. Most of the important personnel around NERV at least knew her on sight, so it wasn't completely out of place for the fourteen-year-old foreign girl to be seen wandering the corridors of the organisation.

Stopping outside one particular door, Asuka checked her appearance before barging into the office unannounced. "Kaaaji-saaan!" Glancing around, the smile she had purposely used faltered slightly, eventually disappearing altogether. "He's not here." Images of just where the itinerant inspector could be and with whom had her eyebrow twitching. "And Misato wasn't in her office either." It didn't take a genius to figure out that the combined absence of Misato Katsuragi and Ryouji Kaji meant that their one time relationship was undoubtedly back in full swing once more.

Deciding to use Ryouji's absence to her benefit, Asuka began checking through the man's files and documents, searching for anything that might pertain to his hidden desires for a certain red headed Evangelion Pilot.

Instead she discovered something else. Something far more disturbing.

Hastily reading through the file in her hand, Asuka felt a wave of nausea twist her stomach. "Unit 03. Another EVA?' Flipping a page she stared at the attached photo. "Marduk Report ……….. Fourth Children ………… No way."

Dropping the folder, Asuka slowly walked out of Ryouji's office, trying to rationalise the newly discovered information. "Why wasn't I told about this?"

***

Tokyo-3 Lakes

"I don't know about this Rei-chan." Shinji shivered involuntarily. The large glassy expanse of water filled him with a sense of dread and images of drowning were still recent enough to have him seriously reconsidering this little excursion.

Rei moved closer to the visibly upset boy. Taking his hand in hers, she leaned against his shoulder, enjoying the simple closeness and the fact that they were alone. "There is nothing to fear Shinji-kun. The water itself will not harm you, as long as you remain calm and in case you have forgotten, I am with you." She moved around in front of him and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. "I will not be leaving your side for a single moment." Her eyes twinkled mischievously while she leaned up to kiss his nose and then stepping back to observe the results of her handiwork.

The magazines and television dramas were proving to be a font of useful information about relationships and social interactions between couples. Especially for the socially inept albino Pilot of Unit 00 and her overly shy Pilot of Unit 01

Even though he was entirely comfortable being with Rei, he still couldn't suppress the eventual blush that resulted from her impulsive behaviour. "I'm sorry Rei-chan. I know I'm being foolish, it's just ……." He gulped audibly, his eyes tracing along Rei's outline against the backdrop of the lake's reflective surface.

He had to admit she cut a fine figure in her plain white one-piece swimsuit.

Oblivious to Shinji's gaze, Rei stretched her arms above her head, causing her already skintight suit to reveal even more of her lithe, athletic body. "There is no need to apologise Shinji-kun. You have never learned to swim before. It is only natural that you feel some measure of fear and trepidation." Catching Shinji's look, Rei blushed, enjoying being the focus of his thoughts and desires. "But I will not allow you to come to harm." Rei offered her hand to the sheepish youth.

Taking the offered hand, Shinji allowed Rei to lead him towards the water line. "Thanks Rei-chan."

It didn't take long for Shinji to realise that learning to swim and actually swimming were vastly different.

"Is this really necessary?" He asked, slightly confused with what he was doing.

Rei smiled patiently. "Learning to float is the primary principle behind swimming Shinji-kun. Once your body is accustomed to the immersion in water, you will be ready to learn the basics." She also had to admit that supporting Shinji's body was very stimulating. Her eyes trailed appreciatively over his firm chest, his tight, flat stomach and continuing further along towards his swimming trunks.

With Rei's breasts hovering scant inches above his nose, Shinji could feel his blood pressure diverting around his body. "It's just that ……………." Shinji's voice died off. He followed the focused expression on Rei's face.

Rei gazed openly at the erection beginning to strain Shinji's swimming trunks. "You find this arousing, Shinji-kun?" She had to resist the overwhelming urge to reach out and touch it. Everything she had read, watched and heard about indicated that the object of her attention hidden behind that single layer of material was central to the culmination of a relationship.

Noticing Rei's hands twitching, Shinji panicked.

Not the ideal reaction for someone incapable of even floating unaided.

Eventually making it to dry land, Shinji could only smile despite his brush with death. Dying twice, fighting monsters from heaven, he felt sure that learning how to float was the least of his problems. "You really enjoy swimming, don't you Rei-chan?" He looked over to the girl beside him. Rei's cheeks were still suffused with a healthy red cast.

Gazing out across the surface of the lake, Rei felt a tranquil kinship with the placid locale. "Yes, it has a soothing aspect that calms me." Her eyes drifted sideways to glance at Shinji. "But it is not the only thing I enjoy."

Interested to hear what else his girlfriend liked, Shinji shuffled closer. "What else then?"

Turning to face him, Rei smiled lightly. "Close your eye's Shinji-kun." She prompted.

Closing his eyes, Shinji found himself pushed onto his back, a shape and weight he had come to know all too well holding him in place. Before he could even voice a complaint, the presence of a pair of soft, warm lips pressed gently against his own, silencing any words he may have issued.

Rei leaned back, finding it harder to maintain clear, rational thought. "This is something I enjoy very much. It both calms and excites me." Once again she leaned in softly brushing her moist lips across his, opening her mouth slightly to catch his bottom lip between hers, tugging on it.

"I think I could get to like this too, Rei-chan." Shinji opened his eyes, finding Rei's crimson orbs staring intently at him. His arms, possessed of a life of their own, moved around Rei's slender waist, drawing her closer.

"You will need to. I am unwilling to release you Shinji-kun. You are mine." Rei felt her will slowly drain away. Shinji's cobalt eyes absorbed and consumed her. Had he asked her for anything she would have been unwilling to refuse.

"I'm not intending to go anywhere. Not now, hopefully not ever." His gentle smile provoked a stirring sensation within Rei, one that was becoming more and more commonplace.

"That is acceptable." Closing her own eyes, Rei let her full weight rest against Shinji. Listening to his slow, steady heartbeat, Rei imagined staying like this forever. Held in his embrace, confidant that everything she could ever want was right here.

Shinji continued to watch Rei slowly drift off to sleep. His brow furrowed with unfounded concern and worry. He could barely remember a time when he had been as happy as he was right this moment.

Happiness and joy. Alien concepts he had had little to do with for the last ten years. "I don't know when I'll wake up from this dream Rei-chan, but I'll be yours for as long as you'll have me." With his arms still embracing the girl, Shinji laid his head back to stare at the sky high above, wondering when he would lose all he had gained. Hoping desperately that he was mistaken.

***

Terminal Dogma

Kouzou hadn't even bothered to check if Gendou was in his office as he entered the Dummy Plug Control Chamber. Gendou had informed him earlier in the day that he would be inspecting the 'System Components'. Finalising his re-reading the report on the selection of the Fourth Children and proposed Pilot of Evangelion Unit03, Kouzou finally looked up to witness Gendou frowning at the numerous replacement Rei's floating in the LCL tank. "The Fourth Children has accepted our offer Ikari. It appears using his younger sister as a bargaining chip was a suitable ploy." Striding towards the man at the far end of the cavernous room, Kouzou placed the report in the brooding man's hands.

Gendou opened the file and quickly skimmed through the key points, nodding in satisfaction at the way his plan was falling into place. "As was expected. His family loyalty will be his undoing." Closing the report he smiled, realising that he was one step closer towards attaining his goal. "It will also provide the ideal staging ground for 'It's' first real test."

Kouzou considered the potential problems arising from the activation of the untested system. "So, do you still intend to test the Dummy Plug?" He motioned towards the numerous 'spare parts' that formed the basis of the program.

"It will be necessary. The Third Children will undoubtedly refuse to fulfil his duty and obligation." Gendou's eyes narrowed. Recently the soulless husks had begun smiling. Originally he had come to gaze upon the instruments of his ambition, purely to regain his focus. Watching the bodies, thinking of them only as tools to be used and ultimately discarded, allowed him to disassociate himself from growing overly attached or fond of Rei. It was why he had discarded the boy so soon after Yui had left. Why he refused to acknowledge the boy as his family, as his son.

He needed Rei bound to his will just like he needed the Third Children to Pilot Unit 01, at least, for now.

Kouzou had noticed the startling changes also. Not an easily frightened individual, he found himself terrified by these developments. "You mean he will undoubtedly be reluctant in taking a human life? Are you that confidant in the system that you can unleash it at such an important juncture?" Scratching his jaw he considered the possible implications. <If the core components can display such alarming behaviour, what will the activation of the system actually herald?>

"Unlike the Pilot of Unit 01, Rei understands what is required of her." Even with her recent associations with the Third Children, Gendou was confidant that Rei would eventually return to his side. Of course, his plan called for the young couple to suffer a disastrous break up, thus ensuring no further complications. "The system will perform as required. All baseline tests indicate it is ready for activation. What better field test than an actual Angel attack."

Kouzou turned away from the floating shells, unable to stomach the disturbing sight any further. "Have you prepared for the fact that eventually Rei will inform the boy of the Fourth Children's identity?" He asked, his eyes studying the complex transfer device that dominated the centre of the room. "How will he react? We can ill afford Unit 01 going berserk."

"Do not worry yourself needlessly Sensei. It appears Rei is unable to reveal the true depths of her involvement with this organization. She fears that the boy will abandon her and I fully intend to exploit this weakness." Gendou unclasped his hands from behind his back and place a gloved hand on the tank glass. In times gone by, the nearest clone would always mimic the action, but no more. They simply continued to smile. "The Pilot of Unit 01 has served his purpose and is no longer a necessary component." Gendou returned to his original stance, hands clasped behind his back, eyes boring straight ahead, seeing a future and past that drove his present actions.

"And what of the other Pilots?" Kouzou thought he heard Gendou mutter something else but dismissed it. If Gendou felt you needed to know something, he would tell you implicitly.

"Rei will assume the position as Pilot of Unit 01. The Second Children still has a part to play and will continue to pilot Unit 02 until she is no longer capable." All the puppets acting as he predicted.

"So what will you do with the boy?" Kouzou asked dryly, wondering what the man had planned for his own son.

Gendou deactivated the light source in the tank, casting the room into near darkness. Only the numerous LED's prevented the complete and total absence of light. "I have told him before that he will need to stand on his own. He must decide the path he will walk."

"And if it doesn't coincide with our own?" Kouzou asked.

"He will need to assume responsibility for his actions."

***

End Twelfth Refrain

Tbc

Proof Read and Pre-Read by TianXu otherwise known as SuPeRnOvA145.

Authors Post-Rant -

Short Chapter, I know. But we can't all be literary geniuses. I can barely manage coherent sentences. I'd thank Microsoft for their spellchecker, but I still have some dignity. (Ha. Who am I trying to fool? Dignity? I lost that somewhere in high school.) Tian's the one you should thank for making this story legible. Although the stark differences between Australian and American English are slightly trying but I'll have Tian thinking like a fair dinkum Aussie before he even realises what has happened.

Well, the angst is going to get knocked up another notch (Possibly three or four). It's the appearance of Bardiel, the Thirteenth Angel. Yep. I'm sure we all remember just how dark things got from here on in. Well, I'll be sticking with the dark themes, and yes, it has major impacts (oohh, the author's trying to be funny >o<) on both Shinji and Rei.

As always, post your reviews here at FFN (Or where ever you find this).

Any other comments, thoughts etc are welcome at -

otaku_dman@yahoo.com.au.