Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ All That I Am ❯ Sixteenth Refrain ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer to the First Refrain

Author's Pre-Rant -

It's the New Year (Yes I know it was a while ago, but I'm burning candles I and don't have enough ends for the flames.) and unlike most previous years, I actually have a resolution that I intend to implement successfully. (No, I refuse to give up my anime, computers, books or coffee)

Instead of declaring how pitiful I am or how pathetic my writing skills are (self evident as they may be), I intend to concentrate more on the positive aspects of my miserable existence. Me with confidence and self-esteem?!? The last time I actually laughed my family thought something was seriously wrong. Can't wait to see how they handle this.

Perhaps this is just another sign of dementia. Let's just wait and see.

All That I Am

Sixteenth Refrain - A Life Bound To The Past

NERV Medical Observation Unit

Standing silently with his hands clasped behind his back, Gendou watched the extraction of his son from the medical observation unit with some small measure of interest. He knew that ever since his relocation from the detention block earlier in the day, the boy had remained in a comatose condition, responding to little, if any external stimuli. According to the medical reports though, all signs were now indicating his mental and physical state had stabilised sufficiently enough that he would soon regain consciousness. Scrutinising the boy's expression, he contemplated how composed and serene he appeared. A far cry from the nervous fear or vacant apathy that often graced his child's face.

A small smirk lifted one corner of Gendou's mouth. It was not the assumed weakness that he needed from the boy, but his rage. The schizophrenic behaviour the boy occasionally displayed, predominantly while Piloting, would finally be of use to him. By utilising Shinji's personality psychosis, Gendou knew his plan of regaining what he once had, was one step closer to realisation. His ambition of controlling Human Complementation, of re-uniting with Yui would no longer be a morbid fantasy, but the reality he longed for. It was this simple belief that was the primary catalyst motivating him forward, endorsing his actions, forcing him to strive for a future that ultimately only existed in the past.

Beside Gendou, an obviously agitated physician coughed nervously before moving to stand in front of the stoic Commander. "I can't condone this Sir." He said voicing his disagreement while his eyes flickered towards the medical team that was hastily removing the room's sole patient via a transportable life support capsule. "Pilot Ikari has only recently reco-"

Gendou spared the cringing individual in front of him a brief, penetrating gaze, annoyed by the senseless prattle of the man. "Your concerns are noted Doctor." He said coolly, stepping past the Doctor as if to say 'You are nothing more than a nuisance, undeserving of my attention.'

"But He-"

"However," Gendou continued, still walking towards the door, "I will take them under advisement, regardless of how irrelevant they may be." Stopping momentarily, Gendou looked across at his son once again before turning to leave. "Remove the good Doctor." He mentioned in an almost conversational manner, motioning to two of his personal security staff. "He has apparently decided to resign from this organisation."

"Understood Sir." Two of the large, dark suited individuals closed in and grabbed the now panick-stricken doctor, nodding to Gendou before hauling the whimpering man away.

Gendou shoved his hands into his jacket pockets and moved to leave the room. "Bring the Third Children." He directed the remainder of the security and medical personnel to follow him.

***

Tokyo-3 Night Spot

"So what did you want to talk about that's so important that you can't say it at work, Ritsu-chan?" In one hit Misato downed her drink, waving the now empty glass at a nearby waitress signalling that she was ready for a replacement. Already she could feel the need to drown the unpleasant emotions caused by Shinji's departure. The realisation that she would never see him, perhaps ever again, hurt more than she would have ever believed or cared to admit. Even the knowledge that he would ultimately be safe and well, living somewhere else was little solace compared to the aching hole in her heart his absence now created. So now, like so many times before when she was confronted by something painful or personal, she washed it away with alcohol, unwilling to face the problem.

"You need to ask why I have to resort to this?" While her response was decidedly flippant, Ritsuko had observed Misato's actions over the past few days and had carefully noted the depression her sometimes erratic friend was slipping into. Sipping her own drink she lit a cigarette and drew deeply, wondering whether Misato was capable of handling the truth of Shinji's condition. She dismissed the idea immediately, deciding that cautionary tactics were preferable to the possibility of having Misato succumb to her despondency completely. "Shinji said to say hello." She remarked casually, one of her dark eyebrows lifting in amusement as Misato sprayed the contents of her second drink, narrowly missing a passing couple.

"You've seen him?" Misato asked, her raised voice attracting the curious glances of several nearby patrons. Noticing the unwelcome attention, she took a few moments to compose herself before continuing, lowering the volume of her voice. "But Commander Ikari told me that Shinji-kun wasn't allowed visitors. How did you get to see him?"

"Commander Ikari ordered me to check on him to make sure he was okay." Ritsuko replied, idly scanning the crowd in the club for anyone that appeared to be a little too interested in their conversation. She knew that Gendou invariably kept tabs on all his staff, especially those like herself that were privy to the true secrets behind NERV.

"He actually wanted to make sure his own son was okay?" Misato struggled to come to terms with the seemingly inconceivable premise. Her only impression of the father/son relationship that the two Ikari's shared, was one of strained tension at best. Since the day Shinji had arrived in Tokyo-3, the man had actually alienated himself even further from Shinji, almost intentionally. "Pinch me, I must be dreaming."

Resisting the urge to comply with Misato's request, regardless of how amusing it would be, Ritsuko instead finished her cigarette, squashing the remaining stub into the ashtray. "I also managed to convince him to transfer Shinji-kun to the Medical Sector." Noting the look of alarm on Misato's face, Ritsuko quickly allayed her friend's fears. "Simply as a precaution." She added, relieved that Misato's expression settled. "Maya-kun's checked on him recently and she assures me he's doing fine, if not a little depressed."

"Shinji-kun depressed. There's a surprise." Misato said smiling sadly, slowly swirling her drink around in the glass. "So both you and Maya have seen him?" She asked, glancing across at Ritsuko, a slight edge developing in her voice.

"Stop sounding like a jealous old woman Misato. It's very unbecoming." Ritsuko leaned back in her seat and crossed her legs, the movement drawing the appreciative eyes of several nearby men and at least one woman at the way her dress slid up revealing her long, shapely legs. "The Commander was adamant that Shinji-kun should remain isolated from 'certain' personnel until he was relocated away from Tokyo-3."

Misato stared at the amber liquid in her glass, losing herself to the rhythmic motion of the liquid and the soft clinking of the ice against the glass. "I never even got the chance to say goodbye, or to say thank you for everything he did." She murmured softly, recalling Shinji's melancholy face the morning she had left to oversee the activation of Unit 03. "I never got the chance to tell him just how sorry I was." All she had left now was the sound of Shinji's tormented sobbing at what had happened to his friend, Touji Suzuhara.

"Misato, don't make this harder than it already is. We both know that Shinji-kun wasn't entirely happy being here." Seeing Misato's shoulders sag at her comment, she quickly amended the statement. "Yes I'll admit his attitude improved once he adjusted to your more 'interesting' living habits," She paused, thinking back to how Shinji had looked, beaten and bloody, lying in the darkened cell, "but maybe this is for the best." She prayed that by the end of the night, the alcohol's influence would erase the image from her mind.

"And what about Rei? What about Asuka? What about m-" She stopped, her voice almost breaking. Finishing her drink, she closed her eyes, allowing the warm liquid to calm and soothe the pain, just as it always did. "Suzuhara-kun can't Pilot again. Damn, he'll be lucky to ever walk again." After reading the preliminary medical reports, she only hoped that the poor kid would be able to put the incident behind him and not let the reality of his ordeal ruin the rest of his life. "You said yourself that Unit 01 is gradually rejecting Rei. From a tactical standpoint Commander Ikari is committing suicide and dragging us all along for the ride."

"You've grown that attached to him?" Ritsuko nodded her head as a waitress inquired if she wanted the same drink again.

Indicating that she would have the same again also, Misato looked across at her blonde companion. "What are you talking about?"

"About Shinji-kun." She laughed softly, watching Misato turn away, obviously embarrassed by the truth behind the words. "I've known you too long Misato. It's in your eyes every time you mention his name." Ritsuko wondered what it was about the quiet, unassuming boy that seemed to draw people to him. She decided it had to be his eyes, recalling how captivated she had felt, becoming lost in Shinji's sad, innocent eyes.

Still looking off into the crowd, Misato watched the carefree antics of some of the people out on the dance floor, gyrating to the high paced tempo and beat of the music. "He doesn't know how to hide his feelings Ritsuko. He tries to keep it all locked inside," She turned back to face her friend, "but you can see it written all over his face, especially when he's hurting. I guess I just can't stand seeing him like that. Trying to convince everyone that he's fine when he's suffering."

"And what about Asuka? Is she really any different?" Ritsuko asked, inclining her head briefly, acknowledging the returning waitress placing their beverages on the small table.

"Asuka won't let anyone near her." Misato had tried to sympathise with Asuka, hoping to coax the girl out from behind her shell, but all her attempts had been summarily rebuked, especially when Asuka only viewed her as a rival for Ryouji's attention. "Everything she went through hardened her too quickly." Knowing something of traumatic childhood experiences, she could understand and empathise with Asuka's fear and resistance. Afterall, she still hadn't recovered from her own experience during Second Impact. "To help Asuka you'd have to break her shell……….." Placing a hand on her drink, Misato ran the tip of her index finger slowly around the rim, "and breaking her shell…….." She broke off, not wanting to betray her tempestuous young charge anymore than she already had.

"Would break her." Ritsuko answered. "You've been paying attention Misato. I'm honestly surprised." Her own evaluations of Asuka's gradually declining mental state indicated that the Second Children was on a collision course with a complete psychological breakdown unless the young girl managed to break free of the past that was slowly destroying her.

"They may not be my kids Ritsu-chan, but they're my family." Misato resisted the urge to massage the scar on her abdomen. Any mention of family always stirred unpleasant memories that were best left alone. Memories that, even after all the intervening years, festered painfully. "I just wish there was something more I could do."

"There has to be a balance Misato." Ritsuko advised. "At home you can play the part of the big sister, pretending to be their mother, but at work you're their Commanding Officer. At the end of the day you-"

"I know what I have to do." Misato cut her friend off, directing a penetrating gaze across the table. "I'll do my job even if they end up hating me for it." Realising she was taking her frustrations out on someone that was only trying to help and support her; Misato did her best to look apologetic. "Sorry Ritsu-chan, things have just been hectic of late."

"No problem Misato." Ritsuko waved her apology away, understanding something of the pressure that Misato was under. "Looking after three 'normal' teenagers would be more than I could handle, let alone three teenagers that carried the future of the world on their shoulders." Needing another cigarette, she removed one from her handbag savouring the rich texture once it was lit. "Speaking of our teenaged saviours, where are they?" She asked, not having seen or heard of their whereabouts since the surprise activation test earlier. "Or don't you bother to monitor their movements?"

"Asuka's staying with her friend for a few nights. We had a ………..," Misato reviewed her earlier altercation with Asuka, wondering just how much damage had been done, "slight disagreement earlier today. It'll be a while before she decides to speak to me again. Civilly at least anyway." Smiling she shrugged her shoulders, knowing that it would take more than just time and good intentions to heal the rift that was growing between both herself and Asuka.

"And Rei?" Ritsuko prompted, interested to discover just how Gendou's key to controlling Instrumentality was reacting to the sudden upheaval in her life. Not long ago, she would have delighted in anything that caused the young girl to suffer, believing it to be only fair and equitable considering her own personal plight. But now, with her animosity all but gone, she could finally see that, just like her, Rei was simply another pawn in Gendou's plan.

"Probably sitting at home in her room." Misato answered vaguely. "She's been spending a lot of time there recently. I think Shinji-kun's absence has hit her harder than she's letting on, but it's a little difficult to read her disposition most of the time." Even now, after living with the quiet young girl, Misato still felt uncertain about just what Rei was thinking. The only times she had recognised anything even remotely resembling emotion on the girl's face was when she was with Shinji.

Ritsuko nodded, agreeing with Misato's conclusions. "It's the first time she's ever believed in anyone other than Commander Ikari. It was bound to affect her to some degree." What alarmed her the most was how easy it would be for Gendou to reclaim his rigid control over Rei now that Shinji's interference was removed.

"You really need to work on your compassion you know Ritsuko. You're starting to sound as cold and indifferent as the Bastard himself." Misato growled, the alcohol beginning to loosen her tongue.

"For that last remark," Ritsuko stared icily across the table at Misato, "you can pay the tab for both of us and drag your own sorry carcass home."

***

Terminal Dogma - Research Lab

Amidst the vast array of technology and hieroglyphics, a small research team worked feverishly on the necessary preparations to commence the transfer of the Third Children. "Sir. It appears there will be problems with replacing the original plug material." The middle-aged man in charge of the team stroked his goatee, frowning at the digital display in his hands.

"How so?" Pushing his tinted glasses back into position, Gendou continued to watch the removal of the Rei clone from the Dummy Plug. The body, barely recognisable amidst the grafted mechanical implants and wiring, was still moving even in the absence of possessing a soul of its own.

Vomiting violently, one of the technicians collapsed to his knees, unable to suppress his nausea at how the clones' body twitched and it's mouth opened in a pained, silent moan as it was disconnected from the plug interface module.

Tapping the display, he passed it to Gendou for examination. "Simply put," he said, pointing to one particular item, "the replacement material's skeletal frame is too large." Turning towards the disassembled entry plug, he pointed to various parts of the plug's internal architecture. "We would have to modify the carriage frame assembly to-"

"Doctor." Gendou handed the display back to the doctor. "I didn't employ you to waste my time. If the material is physically unsuitable, modify it to suit the system." His eyes passed over the remains of what had once been an exact duplicate of his surrogate daughter. Now that it was bereft of most of the wiring and implant connections necessary to link with an Evangelion Insertion Plug, it was nothing more than a horribly disfigured lump of bloody, pale flesh.

"Modify?" He considered the alternative, quickly comparing the pros and cons. "Amputation should expedite the process." He agreed, nodding his head, satisfied with the decision. "We really only need his core central nervous system. Limbs are essentially superfluous. With your permission Commander Ikari."

"Do what is necessary." Gendou said, confidant that everything would proceed accordingly. "I expect you to complete this within the timeframe given." Checking his watch, he noted that it was nearing the time for his scheduled appointment with the Old Men of SEELE. Walking out the door, he missed the pair of crimson eyes following his movements. Had he realised, Gendou would have noticed the intense anger burning furiously inside the clone's unblinking gaze.

The doctor barely heard Gendou's words, having already turned back towards the task at hand. "It may be best to implant the activation interface module into the spinal column before we remove his limbs." He muttered absently to himself, nodding in agreement with his own hypothesis. "Might as well install the cranial meta-links at the same time as well…………." Glancing up he blinked a number of times, confused by the looks of revulsion that marred the expressions of his colleagues. "What are you all doing? Dispose of that," He said with a degree of distaste, pointing at the clone, "and prepare the replacement for alteration." He clapped his hands together, indicating that the rest of the team should hasten their efforts to complete their given tasks.

***

Horaki Residence

"What's got you so down Hikari?" For nearly the last hour and a half, Asuka had purposely ignored the discontented sighing of her best friend, instead concentrating on the game they were both playing. Considering she knew precisely where Hikari had spent a majority of her day, Asuka had a pretty good idea what was central to the pretty brunette's melancholia. "I thought you said the dumb jock and his sister were doing fine." She added, confident in her assumption.

Thankful that Asuka had finally conceded to ask, Hikari placed her game controller on the floor and leaned back against her bed. "Touji-kun and Mari-chan are both doing fine, but……" Her voice trailed off as she tried to think of the best way to phrase her request, knowing that one ill-phrased comment could ruin any prospect of success.

"What is it Hikari?" With her opponent now motionless on the screen, Asuka abandoned her own controller and stood up to stretch, before sitting down on the edge of the bed. "I'm not really in the mood for 'Twenty Questions'', so just spit it out."

Even though she had become accustomed to Asuka's direct way of speaking and sometimes-blunt manner, Hikari was still nevertheless amazed by Asuka's forthright attitude. "Touji-kun wanted to see Ikari-kun before he left Tokyo-3." Climbing up to sit next to Asuka, Hikari attempted to avoid sounding desperate, knowing that Asuka would simply refuse her request out of hand for that reason alone. "Do you think Katsuragi-san could arrange it?"

"I'm not really speaking to Misato at the moment," Falling backwards onto the bed, Asuka stared at the ceiling, hoping that Hikari would change the subject away from the immanent departure of Shinji Ikari, "you know that."

"Please Asuka?" Hikari asked, throwing caution to the wind and pleading with the fiery young girl. "As a favour for me. I promise I won't ask you for anything else, it's just-"

Bolting up into a sitting position, Asuka frowned at Hikari. Tense seconds passed as neither girl spoke. "Gott in Himmel." Asuka threw herself back down, rolling onto her side. "Okay Hikari. I'll see what I can do." She looked back over her shoulder, surprised to se Hikari's radiant smile. "I can't promise anything though."

"Thank you Asuka. It means a lot to Tou-" Hikari stopped herself, knowing that the other girl wouldn't appreciate hearing Touji's name under even the best of situations. " It means a lot to me." She repeated carefully, wondering if she had just ruined any chance of receiving Asuka's assistance.

Asuka snorted, rolling her eyes at Hikari's pitiful attempt at deceit. "I just know my life can't possibly get any worse when I start doing favours for someone like Touji Suzuhara." Shaking her head, Asuka slowly began chuckling, unable to restrain herself at the absurdity of the situation.

Watching Asuka laugh, Hikari felt a sense of relief wash over her. Over the last month she had noticed a gradual decline in Asuka's normal behaviour and it had worried her that Asuka was suffering behind a fake smile and a false confidence. But seeing her friend so calm and at ease and actually laughing, she couldn't help herself but join in, enjoying the moment for all it was worth.

***

Meeting of The Council of Seven Eyes

Seated amidst a circle of dark, looming monoliths, Gendou leaned forward in his seat and folded his hands in front of his mouth, waiting patiently for the individual seated opposite him to speak. His tinted glasses glowed ominously, the muted lighting inside the room enhancing his already grim visage.

Lorentz Keel watched the younger man carefully, knowing that Gendou was an individual more than capable of obscuring his motives, almost as easily as he did the truth. "Ikari, it has come to the attention of this Committee that you have dismissed the Third Children from your employ." Lorentz hoped to provoke a response that would offer some insight into the man's intentions. "Would you care to explain why?"

"Are you confidant that the remaining two Pilots can successfully defeat the remaining Messengers?" The voice of SEELE 07 asked. "Especially when repairs to the Prototype Model are still incomplete."

"Perhaps he seeks to shield his only child." The harsh, mocking laughter of SEELE 10 was joined by the light snickering from several other members. "Is that your reason Ikari? Finally feeling a sense of concern and obligation towards your son?"

Without batting an eyelid at the insults, Gendou continued to stare across the table at the elderly Chairman, ignoring all other distractions. "The Third Children's continued insubordination was deemed a greater risk than allowing him to continue on as a Pilot." His level response slowly silenced the snide remarks that were being whispered around him. "Both the First and Second Children will be sufficient in destroying the final Angels." His hands obscured the small smile that appeared across his lips. "If it is required, Unit 01 can still be used."

"Even though your last report suggested that the Dummy System had become all but useless with Unit 01?" SEELE 02 asked. "You walk a fine line Ikari. This Committee has invested too much to allow you to do as you please. Failure is unacceptable."

"The Dummy System and its core components are being modified to ensure complete compatibility with Unit 01." Gendou replied evenly. "I will guarantee that if it is required, it will activate successfully."

"Very well Ikari, you are dismissed for now." Lorentz interjected before anyone else decided to continue with further, useless dialogue. "This Committee has business to discuss that does not concern you."

Barely moments after Gendou's image vanished, SEELE 05 launched into his tirade. "He seeks to deceive us Chairman Keel." His voice bellowed furiously. "The latest reports indicate a near complete rejection of both the Dummy System and the First Children with Unit 01."

"What of Agent Kaji?" SEELE 06 added softly. "His latest report was far from satisfying. Perhaps our watch dog is straying from his assigned task."

"Agent Kaji will be dealt with when the need arises." Lorentz answered, tapping a finger on the copy of the report that Ryouji Kaji had submitted to the Ministry of the Interior. "Whether he dies at the hands of Ikari, those fools in the Government or this Committee remains to be seen." The actions of the triple agent still amused him. Rarely did he find an individual willing to sacrifice everything for such a futile cause. "His quest for the truth is meaningless at this point. He will die regardless, a victim of his own curiosity"

"What of the Fifth Children?" SEELE 03 asked, prompting a noticeable silence from the other members. "Is our sacrificial lamb ready?"

"He is already in Tokyo-3." Lorentz smiled at the uproar his reply generated. "He was most anxious to be there." Even though it was far too early for the last Messenger to become an active participant, the boy had requested he be allowed to investigate the situation for himself, something Lorentz had allowed after cautioning him against revealing himself before the appointed time.

***

Terminal Dogma - Egg Of Lillith

Walking into the large cavern, Rei kept her eyes forward, carefully avoiding eye contact with the large white torso that was impaled to an even larger red cross. Even though it was subdued, she could hear the faint call of the masked being that was for all intents and purposes, imprisoned here beneath the Geo-Front. Finding the person she sought, she focussed on his shoulders and walked across the dark, polished floor, coming to a halt beside him. "Commander Ikari."

Having finished organising his thoughts, Gendou inclined his head to gaze at the pale young girl at his side. "Rei. You will resume your duties Piloting Unit 00." As was often the case, he had no need for subtlety or deception when dealing with Rei. He simply stated his orders and she would follow them, to her death if it was required.

"Understood Sir." Rei replied, knowing that the continued failure of the Dummy System and her own inability to maintain a reasonable Synch ratio with Unit 01 was reason enough. Waiting for Gendou to continue or perhaps dismiss her, she turned her attention to the still surface of the LCL in front of her.

Gendou returned his gaze to the cavern's only other occupant. "The day is fast approaching when Mankind will cast open the door to the Room of Gaf and ascend beyond their physical limitations." All his work, his deceit and betrayal was for this one cause. Instrumentality would remove the fear and mistrust that isolated people from those around them. It would also reunite him with Yui and his son. They would once again be a family, living for eternity without the petty restrictions that restrained and shackled his species. "This is the sole reason for your continued existence. Do not force me to remind you of your place." It had been a long time since he had used such harsh words with the girl, but her actions of late had disturbed the natural order he had worked so hard to create and maintain.

"I have not forgotten." Rei lowered her head, admonished by his words.

"Perhaps, but your 'association'," Gendou's voice dripped with sarcasm at the word, his ire increasing at the implied relationship that had developed between the two Children, "with former Pilot Ikari and your current living arrangements may affect your judgement and sense of responsibility." Turning from Rei, he began walking towards the nearest available exit. "I believe it will be in your best interests if you relocate to one of the spare living quarters here in the Geo-Front."

Rei lifted her head and turned to look at Gendou's back. "I -"

Pausing in the doorway, Gendou turned to once again look at the girl, satisfied that she now realised her recent freedom was simply an illusion he allowed. "I have already taken the liberty of having your belongings removed from Major Katsuragi's residence. I suggest you retire for the night and prepare for tomorrow." Moving through the door, Gendou allowed himself to smile briefly before leaving to inspect the modifications to Unit 01's new Dummy Plug.

**

Watching nothing, her eyes staring blankly at the wall of her new room, Rei continued to gently caress the shirt that lay in her lap, her fingers slowly tracing along the seam of the material. Thoughts of father and son swelled up within her mind. Thoughts that only added to her present state of confusion and indecision. She knew that attempting to draw comparisons between the two Ikari men was almost meaningless and served no other purpose than to cloud her focus even further. Both Shinji and Commander Ikari were, after all, two completely different people, with different ideals, hopes and thoughts. But regardless of the facts, she could see the similarities that lay beneath the surface of each of them.

Without a doubt, she knew that beneath his timid, gentle exterior, Shinji harboured a fierce resilience and determination that, when provoked beyond all human restraint, made him capable of making the impossible possible.

Paradoxically, beneath Commander Ikari's cold, harsh armour, she now suspected he concealed a fear of life so great, that he willingly isolated himself from everything and everyone. To this end, he had abandoned his only child, not from malice or spite, but purely as a form of self preservation.

The fluorescent light flickered rapidly before dying, casting the room into darkness. <My life has always been Commander Ikari's to do with as he pleases. I am the sacrifice that will hand him instrumentality. That will complete mankind's journey.> Her hands tightened their grip on the soft fabric of Shinji's shirt. "Yet I find my belief in him………….." Staring around at the small room, she felt a disturbing sensation weaken the most fundamental precepts of her existence. "Wavering."

***

Streets of Tokyo-3

Moving slowly across the horizon, Zeruel, the Angel of Might, descended towards the cluster of Lillum constructs far below, the Father's presence calling out to him, drawing him onwards towards his destiny. Unafraid and heedless of the fact that many of his brethren had fallen to the mockeries that held Adam prisoner, Zeruel increased his pace, almost eager to test the strength of his soul against the defenders of this city.

With a sudden spark of energy emanating from his eyes, a series of large cross-flares erupted across the surface below, heralding his arrival.

Standing atop one of the many high-rise buildings that littered the Tokyo-3 landscape, a tall, slender young man with platinum, grey hair threw his arms out, greeting the approaching Angel. "Good morning brother." He ignored the ostentatious destruction of the city around him, closing his eyes and spreading his awareness outwards to the Fourteenth Angel. "Welcome to Tokyo-3." Sensing the large, squat Angel's desire to face a worthy foe in combat, Kaworu Nagisa smiled, wondering how his sibling would fare against the combined might of the Evangelions.

A slight frown marred his handsome, almost feminine features. "Your light cries out in agony Shinji-kun." Brushing his hair from eyes, he turned his gaze in the direction of NERV Headquarters. "What causes so fragile a soul to radiate such darkness?" Humming a soft melody Kaworu stepped off the edge of the rooftop, oblivious to the twenty-story fall to the unforgiving pavement below.

***

End Sixteenth Refrain

Tbc

Authors Post-Rant -

Not a huge surprise I know. I basically told you at the end of the last chapter that Shinji would become the replacement Core Material for Unit 01's Dummy Plug. I realise that the angst and darkness has carried on for a few chapters now and I promise that things will lighten up soon. I'll even return to the focus of the two main characters of this story as well. Please remember this is the world of EVA. Things were not exactly LSD induced dreams of sunshine and happiness.

#Author sighs#

Those were happier days. My only expectation back then was to be words on a tombstone.

As always, post your reviews here at FFN (Or where ever you find this).

Any other comments, thoughts etc are welcome at -

otaku_dman@yahoo.com.au.

Ja Ne