Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Mirror ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Evangelion: Broken Mirror
 
Ritsuko Akagi intently studied the figure that was floating in the clear plastic tube, the blonde haired scientist frowning to herself slightly as she reviewed the data on a display nearby. Underneath her usual white lab coat she wore the form fitting uniform of a NERV officer, stone gray cloth trimmed in red, her stance and posture intent.
 
Within the clear plastic tube a young man floated seemingly fast asleep, light blue hair flowing around an average looking face. He was physically quite unremarkable, his face unmarked by strain and almost unearthly looking in it's innocence. Given the name Shinji Ayanami he was the greatest hope for the alien fighting organization NERV, and the weapon who would be pointed at the coming Angel threat.. at least hopefully.
 
The door to the chamber swished open softly and the leader of NERV walked up behind her, standing beside her to look up at the sleeping boy. "How is the experiment going?" she asked, a bit of distaste evident in her voice.
 
Ritsuko turned around to look at Yui Ikari, meeting the gaze of the beautiful brown haired older woman who was standing there. Like Ritsuko she too wore a labcoat but her uniform was colored dark blue, the insignia on her collar marking her as the commander of the underground facility beneath Tokyo-2. More importantly this project she commanded could very well be the final line of defense for humanity against a alien invasion.
 
"Not as well as we'd hoped," Ritsuko reluctantly admitted. Gesturing towards where Shinji floated peacefully she said, "We created him using genetic samples taken from your dead husband Gendo and the Lilith entity, but our initial experiments show that he is going to be limited in his ability to control Evangelion."
 
"We'll have to manage," Yui said quietly, "I have no wish to see ordinary children endangered in piloting Evangelion."
 
Ritsuko hesitated then she reached out a hand to rest it on Yui's arm as she said to her seriously, "We may have no choice but to use one of the pilot candidates, Yui." She calmly faced Yui's fierce glare as she continued on, "I seriously doubt that a Shinji clone will be able to survive long fighting against the Angels."
 
Tensely Yui shrugged off the hand as she growled, "He'll have to."
 
"Yui," Ritsuko let her hand drop as she reluctantly pointed out, "you know the other partners are using human pilots."
 
"Asuka Soryuu in Germany," Yui nodded tersely in agreement, "and the American boy, too. I wish I could stop them..."
 
"You had to give each partner some authority over their Evangelion, it was the only way to get them built," Ritsuko said sympathetically.
 
"It doesn't excuse me," Yui's eyes returned to Shinji again as she continued grimly, "or what I'm doing to them." Without another word she turned and quickly strode out of the room, back stiff and steps fast.
 
Taken from the private journals of Yui Ikari:
 
Sometimes I hate my husband Gendo with a passion, even though he is long dead. Our expedition to investigate the Adam entity in Antarctica was peaceful, our plans were perfect.. or at least that's what my arrogant spirit likes to believe. Somehow Gendo interfered with the Adam entity... and something catastrophic happened to us and all of humanity: Second Impact.
 
The research station was destroyed with nearly with all hands, the polar ice caps melted in an instant, and all around the world humans died in mind boggling numbers. I still don't even know who tossed Misato Katsuragi and myself into an escape capsule, both of us coming to rest on a island not far from the base to see the skies go red and the explosion light up the night. Frantically I fought to keep the badly injured Misato alive, stanching her blood flow and bandaging up her gapping chest wound even as tears flowed down my face...
 
 
"Commander," Misato called out cheerfully later that day, the black haired young woman jogging up to her side. Unlike Yui she didn't wear a NERV uniform, instead she was dressed in casual clothes with the rank insignia of a captain clipped onto her jacket.
 
"Misato," Yui smiled back slightly as they fell into step together down the brightly lit hallway, looking over at the young lady that she had very nearly adopted. In the aftermath of Second Impact they had been thrown together by their mutual losses like lost lambs in a storm, developing an unlikely but still strong bond of friendship.
 
"So are you looking forward to seeing your daughter?" Misato asked her curiously, smiling up at the slightly taller Yui as they ducked through one of many armored access ports.
 
Tokyo-2 was built to be a fortress in more ways than one, the surface created to repel attack while the underground facility was designed to seal off and contain any enemy intrusion with the various access ports and other security measures. Combined with the Evangelion they hoped to beat back a expected alien assault, though they all prayed it would never come.
 
"Sort of," Yui admitted, smiling a bit grimly as she confessed, "it's been months since I was able to visit Rei, but the idea of her coming here scares me too."
 
Misato smiled up at her, reaching out to gently squeeze her arm. "Rei wants to see her mom," she said to her softly, "understandably so." Her voice was gently reassuring as she said, "I know that your relatives have been taking care of her, but she must miss you."
 
"Thanks," Yui smiled at her comforting words. They reached one of the main elevators running through the facility and went inside, each pressing a key for a different floor. "I wish I could get away from here to go see her more often," Yui closed her eyes a moment, rubbing at them tiredly, "but there's just no way."
 
"Well, would you feel a bit better if I went out to go get her when she hits town?" Misato offered her help gently.
 
"I couldn't ask you to...." Yui trailed off shyly, knowing that was what exactly what she really wanted to do.
 
Misato chuckled softly, "You didn't ask, I offered." She smiled happily, "Rei is a good kid and we're friends. I'd be glad to help."
 
Yui gave her a lopsided grin, "Thank you again." She gave her a mildly impish look, "Are you still seeing that ne'er do well, Kaji?"
 
"Yui!" Misato blushed faintly.
 
Kaji and Misato had a long history, having met in college along with Ritsuko. It had been during a visit to the college by Yui that she had met the young man, who mistook her for a young professor and then tried to hit on her. She had been in the process of letting him down easy when Misato arrived, and things had gotten interesting. After that she had officially disapproved of the young man, though she could see what Misato liked about him, too.
 
'That was back when I first met Ritsuko, too,' Yui remembered. She gave a amused look to Misato, "I assume that he must be pretty good in the sack, considering he's lasted much longer than most of your other boyfriends."
 
"Gah," Misato stepped out of the elevator fast once they reached her floor, her cheeks bright red. "I can't believe we're having this conversation," she shook her head, grinning as she turned to wave good-bye to Yui.
 
"See you later," Yui said as the door closed.
 
From the private journals of Yui Ikari:
 
In the aftermath of Second Impact I could barely look at little Rei, my daughter now barely a few weeks old. Her black hair reminded me so much of her father Gendo, but her eyes were purely innocent in a way that I now knew his had never been. She helped pull me through all the pain and grief I felt due to my role in Second Impact, spending my time with her and Misato even as I opened up negotiations with the United Nations.
 
It was clear to everyone involved that if there ever was a Third Impact humanity wouldn't survive it, and so NERV was founded to research the earlier Impacts and attempt to prepare a possible line of defense. In studying Lilith and other sources I created the biomechanical being we came to call Evangelion... in some ways a complete perversion of my earlier work. I dreamed of healing the body with synthetic parts, but instead I have created a engine of destruction.
 
Making things more complicated has been the discovery of a series of encrypted files belonging to the non-dearly departed Gendo detailing his involvement with something called SEELE. At the very least they were aware of both the entity at the pole and our expedition to go contact it, and possibly they may have even financed our trip there. If it's true then they may have played a hand in Gendo triggering the Second Impact, and hints I've found in the documents indicate they might be pulling strings in governments around the world.... it's made for a very paranoid atmosphere. I trust my inner circle here at NERV but I wonder if SEELE has infiltrated agents in our support staff, and what I should do if they have?
 
 
In her office later that day Yui saved her additions to the data file for her journals, silently musing on all of the twists and turns that had come to her life in the past few years. The sound of a chime from her door got her attention away from her journal and she closed the file down as Yui called out crisply, "Come in."
 
Maya Ibuki walked up to the desk then nodded respectfully as the young officer set her report on the gleaming surface. Her black hair fell into her brown eyes as she looked off into the distance and reported formally, "The new command center is fully on-line, ma'am, and the inner city defenses report fully operational."
 
'She's so formal,' Yui noted with some amusement, a emotion she carefully hid from the overly serious young lady. "Thank you, Maya," she said gravely as she took the documents, "you've done excellent work."
 
"Ritsuko-sempai did all the difficult work," Maya's eyes nearly shone with admiration as she said, "completing the computer integration with the Magi."
 
Yui fought back her amusement at the young lady's obvious hero worship as she agreed, "Yes, Ritsuko really is something, but your work shouldn't be underestimated." She studied Maya a moment, "As you know, we're going to need reliable officers in the command center when the Angels attack... would you be interested in such a position?"
 
Maya visibly stiffened with excitement as she crisply saluted. "Ma'am, I'd be honored," she said a bit breathlessly.
 
'Especially since it means you'll be working more closely with Ritsuko,' Yui thought impishly. "The with your permission we'll switch you over from technical services," she stood to shake the girl's hand, "welcome aboard."
 
"Ma'am," Maya nodded happily, the younger woman clearly fighting back a skip in her step as she left the office.
 
A few moments later the door swished open once again and Yui smiled faintly as her guest came inside. "I'm sorry for being so short with you this morning," she apologized, getting up from behind her desk to join her guest in the middle of the large room.
 
"It's all right," Ritsuko smiled warmly as she took Yui's hand in one of hers and squeezed it gently, "I understand. You wouldn't be the person that you are if you didn't want to keep anyone else from being hurt in all this."
 
"Thank you," Yui delicately took Ritsuko's hand in both of hers. She smiled slightly as she met Ritsuko's eyes and said impishly, " I think Maya has a crush on you."
 
Ritsuko stepped closer, her eyes gently amused. "I noticed," she admitted as she stood only bare inches from Yui, "I'm trying to let her down gently."
 
Yui swallowed, her breath coming a little faster from the other woman's presence. "Ritsuko...," she started to say.
 
"Hush," Ritsuko leaned forward, closing the distance to press her lips to Yui's, sliding her free hand behind the other woman's head.
 
Yui moaned softly as they drew apart a bit, her own hands having slipped free from Ritsuko's to slide around the other woman's slim body. "I'm your commanding officer," Yui sighed, "we shouldn't be doing this."
 
"I'm a grown woman," Ritsuko said, keeping a firm grip on Yui, "and I was the one who approached you, remember?"
 
"That doesn't excuse me," Yui sighed.
 
Ritsuko smirked, "I wasn't looking for excuses." And with that she gently pulled her into a kiss once again.
 
"This really isn't the place to do this," Yui said breathlessly as they pulled apart.
 
"Oh I don't know," Ritsuko nodded towards the couch on one side of the room as she purred, "I think we could manage..."
 
"You are a very bad girl," Yui moaned as Ritsuko gently nibbled on her ear.
 
Ritsuko laughed as she tugged Yui over towards the couch, "I'm not the one who suggested doing it while sitting at your desk."
 
Yui blushed as they fell to the couch together, "I got carried away."
 
Ritsuko kissed her again fiercely as she purred, "You can carry me away anytime."
 
End.
 
Notes: This was inspired by a comment that there weren't enough Yui Ikari fics, so I decided to try to write one. The premise is an alternate EVA where Gendo died instead of Yui, and it looks at the way things might have gone afterward. I've left this deliberately open ended so that I or other authors could continue it later....