Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Duo Awakenings ❯ A Journey Begins! ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers:

Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc. are Property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine. This is a "what if" story, so take it as a divergence from the EoE Movie. So, it is an A/U story as well.

**As always, thanks go out to my pre-reader Datexan! Great Job Tex!

Duo Awakenings

Chapter #3: The Journey

One week after

It took a week to get enough gear and supplies for the foursome to attempt their trek from the devastated remnants of Tokyo-3 to the metropolis Thirty miles away called Tokyo-2. Shigeru had surmised that anyplace away from the Third Impact's epicenter would be better than staying there. So, the nearest place with the chance at having enough supplies to last them for six months to a year would be welcome.

The other thing that the group was keenly aware was the dropping of temperature every day since their emergence from the sea of LCL. Since the first day they had to huddle together in their makeshift shelter as it got colder and colder. Luckily for them, the third day out Shinji had stumbled upon a sport store, which had stocked winter ski gear. So all four had enough long johns, jackets, ski pants, long sleeve shirts and sweaters to keep them relatively warm, but the cold showers from a continuously running broken water pipe were stopped by the fourth day, as Maya had developed a severe cold.

Added to that was the slow recovery of Asuka's arm and other physical injuries. Although the former second child did all of the painful exercises prescribed by Maya to help gain needed strength, her injured body was taking time in regaining some of her strength.

After having a meal of canned meat and vegetables the four survivors quietly had a discussion while gathered over their open hearth within the shelter they had been using.

An After-dinner discussion

As the four situated themselves comfortably, well as they could, given their circumstances, Shigeru Aoba began.

"I think that if Maya can confirm hers, and Asuka's conditions, we will leave for Tokyo-2 tomorrow!" He turned to his left at the former Nerv Tech with a nod.

"Well I can tell you that although I'm a little weak, and Asuka will still have some problems, I think as long as we ride in something, rather than walk, then we can make it there without too much trouble." She then smiled at the tall longhaired former Nerv Command center tech.

He returned the gesture, which caught the eye of one Asuka Langley Souryu.

"Hey, no flirting while we're talking business!" She said that with a slight grin.

Shigeru grimaced then continued. "Listen, we need to get out tomorrow before the weather gets any worse."

"What do you mean Shigeru? Is it, going to get … colder?" asked an apprehensive Shinji, who was sitting next to Asuka with a blanket over his head and shoulders, trying to face the fire with his whole body. Asuka was lying on her side with another blanket wrapped around her, with her injured arm lying on her side as she too was facing the bright warm fire.

Sitting opposite to them was Shigeru and Maya sitting right next to each other, sharing a

Blankets, over they're laps. While another blanket was covering both of their shoulders.

"I wouldn't be surprised if snow wasn't either falling down or accumulating by tomorrow." A brisk wind made it into their shelter clearly emphasizing Shigeru's statement.

"Burr, it is getting nippy!" Shinji said out loud to no one in particular.

Maya then waved to get everyone's attention.

"But, what are we going to use to get to Tokyo-2 that wouldn't jostle Asuka, and aggravate her injuries?" Maya asked with a concerned look on her face.

Shinji then answered before Shigeru could. "We found an six person electric golf cart!"

"A… What?" stated an angry Asuka? "You've got to be kidding! That dinky thing won't go faster than maybe 30 to 40 kilometers an hour. It would take up to two days in optimal conditions to make it there." Asuka said in a harsher and more exasperated tone. "Hey, why can't we use that Humvee you've been using! It seems to have all the maneuverability we need, and it's closed off from the elements. Why can't we use that?" She said, as she moved carefully to a sitting position never letting her arm move from its position, slowly going from a horizontal to a vertical position. Shinji, who saw her labored movements, moved aside somewhat and then gingerly unwrapped his blanket to encompass her and carefully moved next to her. More to get warm quicker, …and to avoid her slap as he was sitting on the same side as her injured arm. She glared at him at first, then as he situated himself and the blanket came around her, she calmed and then silently accepted the gesture. Then both turned their attention to Shigeru who was waiting for them to stop moving around so he could answer Asuka's statement.

"Normally I would agree with you totally, but most of the roads around what used to be Tokyo-3 are either full of wreckage, or have only a narrow passage where the Humvee wouldn't fit through." So, I drove it yesterday to the opposite side of the city, and we'll use the cart to navigate through the city to get to it tomorrow.

"But, but, isn't there any other vehicle that can get through those breaks in the wreckage?" Asuka was now voicing her feelings of foreboding at taking such a slow and exposed vehicle. "I don't want to be exposed to this cold air that you said was coming." She added.

He then looked intently, then sympathetically at the redheaded teen. "There are those four person micro-vans, but they have lousy suspension. You'd probably be bounced around so much you would be injured further, and you're head would be hitting the roof all the time." He smiled at Asuka, then continued. "We really have no choice. But, I have replaced the plastic flaps in the back section of the cart with heavy military blankets, so you and Maya will be relatively warm, and Shinji and I will arrange the medical, and food supplies within easy reach of all of us."

"Listen, I'll go along with riding on that plastic go cart as long as the Humvee is waiting with the heater on." Asuka added

"Sure, and I'll even get some pillows for you to make it more comfortable for you. Is that a deal then?" Shigeru smirked, trying to alleviate Asuka's fears.

The despondent German girl gave an audible sigh, and then she nodded her ok as Shinji hesitantly took her good hand in his. "Don't worry Asuka you'll be able to get back to your old self after we arrive at Tokyo-2. Just be a little more patient and…"

A finger cut him off, on his lips, as she stared intently at his eyes. "Will you be there helping me with my rehab?" With her simple statement, and looking intently at him, she made it clear that she wanted him with her, and asking for help.

Shinji thought of this, as she didn't change her expressionless stare. "She never asks for help. Maybe Third Impact has changed her more than I thought." He looked down then after collecting his thoughts; he looked at her with a caring smile. "Not even a rampaging Eva could pull me away from that. I want the Asuka I knew back. The one that doesn't take any crap from anyone!"

Slowly a smile started to spread across her face. "Damn straight, My Baka Shinji, damn straight!" She then took his hand under the blanket and squeezed, giving Shinji the silent signal that she appreciated what he said. He simply kept smiling.

"Now looks who's flirting!" Maya added, which got the normal "It's not like that!" response in stereo from both children.

Tokyo-2, here we go!

After some more discussion on the small details of their trek tomorrow, The two couples situated the shelter for the night. They then took turns going to the adjacent room for final bathroom rituals. Finally, they took they're usual spots on the two queen sized futons and zipped up the sleeping bags for the night. The two adults had to help the two children due to Asuka's injured arm. They had to slide themselves carefully into a single position where Shinji was laying on his back as Asuka, with Maya's help had laid her injured arm on Shinji's chest with a pillow between. Then Shigeru zipped up the former pilots and wished them a good night. The children then witnessed a similar situation across the shelter as Shigeru and Maya situated themselves in a similar fashion. Only that Maya had a box of tissues and Shigeru was forced to wear a surgical mask so he had less chance of catching Maya's cold. The children snickered as she put his mask on; though, a wicked look from him silenced their giggles. " We have a long day ahead, so have a good night, and sleep well."

Both children nodded and lay down and moved slightly to a more comfortable position. As it had become they're custom, both couples had quiet whispered conversations so as not to disturb the other couple and to keep their conversations private.

"Asuka, have you seen snow before?" was Shinji's opening comment.

"Yeah, Last time was about five months before I came to Tokyo-3. I had lots of fun with snowball fights and making snowmen. But it was cold then, and I really don't like being cold" She then snuggled as close to him as possible.

"I can see that" He smiled at her as she smirked at him. But soon the warmth enveloped them booth and they sighed contently. Shinji then realized that he had an important question to ask the girl, snuggling into his chest. And though it felt wonderful for her to rub her face into him, he knew he had to ask her this now, that they were leaving Tokyo-3.

"Asuka? Ca, …can I ask you something?"

She murmured a "Yeah, What Shinji?" as she shifted herself some, so her ear was closer to him.

"I wanted to tell you that, that I care for you." He then waited for her reaction. And he waited, and waited some more! It was almost a full minute until, he felt some coldness on his chest as Asuka used her good arm which was tucked between them, to lever herself up to look directly at the former third child. She looked intently at him with a face that showed no emotion just an intense glare. Finally she sighed closed her eyes and bent down towards him. She was now wide eyed, and face to face with a now very nervous Shinji. They could see their own breath as they stared at each other.

Across the room Maya and Shigeru witnessed all that was going on and holding each other tightly they listened intently while keeping silent at the interaction between the couple lying across from them.

As they're breaths intermixed in a smoky haze it abruptly ended when Asuka lowered her lips to Shinji's quivering pair. At first She was the one kissing, as Shinji seemed like a statue, seemingly scared stiff. Then within a few moments, he returned the kiss clumsily at first. Then putting his free hand behind Asuka neck; he continued the kiss like a starving man finding a heart-warming meal. Asuka only seemed to intensify her ministrations as they then started to French kiss!

This caused several coughs, and clearing of throats from across the room. Maya and Shigeru would have allowed the kiss to continue hadn't it got so intense so fast. Then Shigeru thought fast and said, "Hey lets conserve that energy for tomorrow, ok!"

Shigeru's comment was more of an order than a request. This finally signaled the teens to finish their long and obviously enjoyable kiss.

"Party pooper!" Asuka said in a muffled voice as she had lowered herself back to Shinji's chest pausing a moment to admire the dazed look he had, and knowing she was the cause. "Well Baka, I hope that tells you how I feel about you. She whispered as Shinji answered by nodding his head with a big goofy grin on his face. He then held the girl tightly, clearly conveying his feelings for her now.

Maya had to ask Shigeru if he heard a giggle from across the room just after his admonishment of the teens and their kiss. "Let's keep an eye for a few more minutes until they fall asleep."

"Well, it looks like we'll have to keep an eye from now on. I better have a girl to girl talk with Asuka while we make our way to the Humvee tomorrow," Maya sighed.

Shigeru added. "As well as I with Shinji. Oh boy now I can appreciate Misato's job as their guardian."

"Well until more people come back from the LCL, we are their guardians."

"Yeah, I know, that's' what's making me even more frightened than the cold."

They both laughed then looked up to see if they had disturbed the children.

To their relief, both seemed to be fast asleep. With that they snuggled closer to each other, then just before Shigeru fell asleep, he felt a feather touch kiss on his cheek.

And in a whisper Maya said. "Asuka had the right idea. Just keep that in mind Mr. Aoba."

Shigeru was the one stiff as a board until he felt the steady rhythm of a sleeping Maya Ibuki in his arms. He then kissed her forehead and added. "I'll keep it in my thoughts. Good night my angel." Then within a few minutes, the last of the conscious survivors finally succumbed to the darkness of sleep.

Blizzard

As morning arose and light filled the otherwise dark shelter the four survivors of Third impact slowly stirred and found that the fire, now glowing coals had kept most of the cold out. With that said, the two couples slowly disentangled with the younger pair waiting patiently as the adults made they're way out of their sleeping bag. And then helped them out of theirs.

After a hearty breakfast, which was helped some with the extra wood they had, on the fire and canned beef and noodles, plus some hot tea.

They had a brief discussion on the children's' activities the night before, and then after some more discussion, the men got ready to go outside when they peered out and saw an amazing sight.

A field of white carpet now lay over the brown and greenish grime on the ground. Not only did it snow; it accumulated mainly due to the dropping temperature. Shigeru knew he had to move their little group fast and fast meant as soon as possible.

"Ok, we need to move now! No waiting! I'm giving you 10 minutes to get packed and be ready to go."

"Hey, Why the fire on our asses attitude?" Asuka was glaring at him.

"If we don't get that cart moving soon, we will be trapped her Ms Soryu. Is that enough to fuel your fire!" Shigeru was glaring back. Asuka hrrumped, and then asked Shinji to help her pack, turning away from the former Tech. Maya then came up to where Shigeru was piling his and now her belongings next to the front door.

"Don't be too hard on her, just be more patient…" Shigeru turned his head, and snapped at her.

"Maya, please I can't think straight and worry about whether she feels good or not."

He regretted it the moment he said it. "Maya I, I'm sorry but I have to make sure we leave before we get stuck…" He was surprised and even more shocked as his eyes bulged out as Maya's lips shut him up.

After a few seconds and some chuckling from the former pilots, Maya broke the kiss, and said, "I know but you have to balance trying to protect us with being human."

She then simply left him in a lurch, till Shinji nudged him to help him load up the last of the groups' belongings and put them in 6-person golf-cart. Then the boys situated the girls in the second seat. Both were wrapped in coats and blankets with the snacks and medical supplies at the ready just in case. Then with Shinji's help, Shigeru closed off the back end of the cart with several thick blankets thereby sheltering the girls to the worsening weather.

Then after Shigeru checked the now abandoned shelter that had served them for the last week, he and Shinji climbed into the exposed front of the cart. After securing themselves as best they could, they started the cart and with the winds whipping up the new snow, they started making their way slowly through the debris-strung streets of what was left of Tokyo-3.

As they made their way around the crater of what was left of the once great city, the wind blown snow intensified. Shigeru knew from his memories before Second Impact that they were in a full-blown blizzard. He yelled back behind him at the two bundled women sitting behind him. "Keep yourselves protected, we should make it to the Humvee in about an hour." Maya had been looking at the two males sitting in front of her and Asuka. They seemed to be ok for now, but if it took an hour more they might not be. So she opened the med-kit and produced two Vitamin enriched shots. After getting Shinji's attention she made them stop for a minute and gave each a shot to make sure they would have every chance to get them there in one piece and as healthy as they could be.

An hour later both had runny noses like Maya, but they did make it to the Humvee, which was halfway covered by a light sheet of snow. Shigeru and Shinji then made their way out and got most of the snow off of the vehicle, but the main thing they did was to start the jury rigged Humvee which had a solar panel on it's roof.

Within minutes, the vehicle was working and heating up inside it's closed cabin. Except for non-essential items, which were stored in the back, The men carefully transferred the needed supplies and then both women to the back seats of the Humvee. The vehicle being a low profile had a sizable hump in the middle of it, so each seat was basically separate from the others. So Shigeru and Shinji first transferred Maya and got her into the heated interior. She then, as they went to get Asuka, situated the supplies and much needed instant food packs for each one of the survivors.

Asuka was her usual self, though most of her comments to watch the hands seemed to be directed at Shigeru and not Shinji. "Must have been that scene last night," Maya thought to herself, as they loaded Asuka into the seat across the hump from hers.

After Asuka and Maya were secure in the Humvee, and they had an impromptu cold lunch, Shigeru announced that he would be driving the rest of the way to Tokyo-2.

With the Humvee and it's 3-foot clearance, the quartet made their way down the main road or what was left of the superhighway towards Tokyo-2, the speed regulated by the complaints of the former second child.

Rest stop

As the four former Nerv employees and current survivors of mankind made their way through the blizzard that descended on them, it was clear that it was intensifying.

Shigeru then had Shinji, who was acting as his navigator check on the map they had, where the nearest town or shelter was off of the main highway between Tokyo-3 and Tokyo-2.

They settled on a little town not 10 miles north of Tokyo-2. The map they used was an old highway map of Tokorozawa. The town they stopped in was called Kiyose.

They took another 20 minutes to find an abandoned Suu or inn. After Shigeru and Shinji went out and secured the area around the inn, they started a fire in the inn's kitchen and arranged their supplies within that same area. They dragged in two more queen sized futons and with the food they had, plus a gas run grill they had the first really cooked food courtesy of Shigeru and Shinji, who made the women rest as they cooked and served them their dinner. Both appreciated the effort and as the feelings between each pair of people became obvious, they were kindly rewarded that night. Nothing really serious as they knew that the next day, they would hopefully leave this place, and arrive in Tokyo-2.

They did go to sleep together but both couples were right next to each other. Shigeru then told Maya he didn't want to take any chances if Asuka and Shinji becoming too frisky.

But they didn't have much to worry about, as both children were asleep within ten minutes of the time they went to bed. Both adults followed shortly thereafter

Arrival

The next day, the little group arrived in the outskirts of Tokyo-2 around noon, and as per their plan headed for the Nerv facilities there. That took another hour until they located the old Nerv headquarters used before their move to Tokyo-3. It was still being used as a supply facility until Third Impact, so there were ample supplies of many kinds.

The base, which actually was a block of buildings near the center of the city, was designed as a self contained, self sustaining center, so when they arrived it was running on back up generators, and was the only area of the city with power

(A/N: Hey, you have to give them some chance here!)

After that happy discovery, the four made their way through the center while still in their Humvee as most of the hallways were made of thick construction just in case the Angels had attacked there, instead of Tokyo-3.

Soon they found the base's infirmary and they set up camp in it for that night. After Shigeru had secured the area, they had Maya activate the usable security systems so they'd feel safer as they decided to stay there and see if the weather would keep them there, or if any changes would mean changes for them as well.

As night came, and feeling a bit more secure, the girls finally fell asleep without the boys at their side more due to their ailments rather than any wish to be separated from their men. So, it was this restful time which allowed Shigeru, and Shinji to go to the base's Control center, and make a low-level sweep of the base using the sensors. Shinji just sat beside Shigeru as he ran the sweep when he asked timidly

"Well what do we do now, Shigeru?"

"We wait get Maya better, and help with Asuka's rehab. Then we'll see if this freaky weather will keep us here."

"But. If the weather clears where do we go, or are we staying?" Shinji waited as the former tech gave some thought to his question.

Shigeru then sighed. "We should all make that decision when the girls are healthier." He then looked intently at the former pilot. "Plus we seem to have enough resources here where we can stay or be able to find a place to live that can support us. Plus, this city would be a place that most people would flock to after they leave the LCL Sea. So, either way staying here for now would be to our benefit."

Shinji slowly nodded and smiled. "I just want a place where we can have a chance to survive, and to have a normal life. Shigeru understood the boy's wishes, as he too wanted the same!

Then they both sat silently observing the readouts with warm mugs of herbal tea, one making sure things outside wouldn't harm them, the other thinking of a chance at a future for all of them. The next few weeks would tell weather Humanity would survive, ...or not!

Chapter#4: Changes, and chances!

Will they stay or go? And what's this new signal they find, in Matsushiro!